PDA

View Full Version : Anybody going to the UK SFX Weekender convention 3rd-4th Feb?

Saph
2012-01-20, 06:20 AM
The SFX Weekender's a sci-fi and fantasy convention that's being held this year at Prestatyn Sands in Wales from 2-5 February. More information here (http://www.sfxweekender.com/information.html).

The reason I ask is that I'm going to be one of the guests there, along with some other authors from Orbit UK. If you're going to be attending, let me know and we can meet up to say hi!

factotum
2012-01-20, 07:25 AM
I suspect most Brit Playgrounders are attending the GITP meet in Bradford that weekend...

Castaras
2012-01-20, 10:27 AM
If it were another weekend I'd definitely be there. But yeah, I'll be at the UKitp meetup. :smallsmile:

Doomsinger
2012-01-24, 03:01 PM
I am going to be there so I will come and say hello also my son who is a clone of me will be there too. This is the second one I have been too and you will have a great time

Totally Guy
2012-02-05, 02:36 PM
Hey, how was it?

Saph
2012-02-05, 06:08 PM
Hey, how was it?

It was REALLY fun - I wrote about it here (http://benedictjacka.co.uk/2012/02/05/back-from-the-weekender/).

Very varied audience. There was the SF/fantasy literary crowd, but there were also lots of TV/film fans, as well as loads of cosplayers. Watching the entire cast of Star Wars followed by a squad of Imperial Stormtroopers walk past (some of whom brought their seven-year old kids also dressed as stormtroopers) was hilarious. :smallbiggrin: Relatively few gamers, but there was a small contingent - I had a chat with one of the guys from Abaddon/Solaris who helped produce the new Tolkien RPG, The One Ring. Think I might pick up a copy from one of the shops in London!

Other highlights included stand-up performances from Red Dwarf cast members, as well as Stan Lee sending a video acceptance of his award for winning the "Biggest SF Disappointment of 2011" competition (said disappointment being his lack of a cameo in X-Men: First Class).