PDA

View Full Version : AVB Fighting Ring: Debatra (Private Thread)

hustlertwo
2012-01-21, 05:35 PM
Debatra and DMs only. Anyone else will become Twolly's love slave.

As you enter the arena, you are greeted by two things: the cheers of the crowd, and a mutter from Wilstaff, the hob in charge.

Good luck out there, Erinde. And I'm still waiting for an update on that little rat control task I assigned you.

You can see your opponent across the way, a brooding maenad male wearing a silk cloak who appears to be completely unarmed. He says nothing, merely nodding at you in greeting.

You start in green, your opponent in red. Roll initiative.

Rules:

-Animal companions, familiars, and other class feature creatures or companions are allowed in matches, as are mounts. Cohorts (wild or otherwise) and anyone acquired through Leadership are not, ditto for any attempts at hiring people to fight with you or buff you.
-First one to go down or surrender is the loser.
-500 gold to enter, the prize to the winner will be half of all the entry fees. Second place will get a magical item of some kind, whose value is guaranteed to be more than the entry fee. XP is awarded for every match (and some even when you lose). All slots in a tournament not taken up by PCs will be taken up by NPCs.
-No pre-buffing.
-It is an endurance-type round. One hour elapses between rounds (during which you cannot do anything). Buffs that last longer than an hour will carry over to the next fight. Spells and power points won't be replenished, same with rages, flurries of blows, so on and so forth. Damage taken remains; you can't heal it in between matches (but can heal it in matches, of course)
-NPCs will lose random amounts of HP in each round to simulate the degradation of their matches (and NPC mages will consume spells in a similar fashion).
-If a match is being unnecessarily stalled, the current fighting ring manager will dip into his Boring Box. It contains a nasty assortment of ranged weapons and combat items to be used on whoever is ticking the crowd off. Mechanics-wise, this can be translated as anyone who either hides or runs away for five rounds or longer without taking an offensive action.
-You must post at least once per day (unless you're currently awaiting DM response). Every day you don't post is a round your character sits idle.
-Other rules may be added as they come up; when in doubt, ask before you do to avoid any rewinds or anything.
-This is a public thread. Matches will take place in separate, and PRIVATE, threads. Summaries of those matches will be posted here. You can read about them here, not there, where the standard rule against seeing other people's threads will apply. If you post in here (as an audience member or fighter watching other fights, or what have you), please post in-character. If the thread starts to fill up too fast, we'll begin charging for 'tickets' to post.

The Map:

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/867/11scorersglassarena.png

-To reiterate what the map rules say above, everything in here is transparent. There is no way to block line of sight aside from magic, powers, or items. Please make a note of it.
-Ignore the lava, it's not there. Those squares instead represent the unpassable border of the map.
-Max elevation is 150 feet above 0. Go past that, you get disqualified as if you ran away.

Debatra
2012-01-22, 12:21 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

hustlertwo
2012-01-22, 02:01 AM
You go first.

He is starting in M-4, in case it matters for you. Also, be sure to PM me your sheet link.

Debatra
2012-01-22, 02:21 PM
Start in M-23, double move to G-14.

hustlertwo
2012-01-22, 03:40 PM
The figure double moves to F-10, his chainmail clanking as he moves, with no change in his expression.

Debatra
2012-01-22, 07:51 PM
Move K-14. Multishot.

[roll0]
[roll1], [roll2]
[roll3], [roll4]

Debatra
2012-01-22, 07:52 PM
Screwed up some damage rolls.

[roll0]
[roll1]

hustlertwo
2012-01-22, 08:29 PM
The humanoid staggers a bit from the impact as the arrows bury into his shoulder.

"First blood to you...but last blood is all that matters."

A translucent blade of energy sprouts from his hand and he moves to I-13, then flings the mental projection at you, carving a groove into your flesh.

8 damage.

Debatra
2012-01-23, 03:02 AM
Erinde nods at his remark.

She fires another volley at him, staying where she is.

[roll0]
[roll1], [roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4], [roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7], [roll8]

hustlertwo
2012-01-23, 11:08 AM
He looks on as two of the arrows sail past him, and the third bounces off his armor with a small tink.

"It's not very effective."

He then climbs the stairs to L-14, calls up another blade, and slices out at you...and promptly carves up the air three inches in front of your face.

"Rats."

Debatra
2012-01-23, 03:28 PM
Tumble to N-13, Manyshot.

Tumble: [roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]
[roll4], [roll5]

Sudden increase in Attack and Damage due to me forgetting Point Blank Shot up until now. No rewinds/retcons; I know.

Debatra
2012-01-24, 03:18 AM
Okay... my last post isn't showing up in my subscription list, so I guess bump in case it's the same on your end.

hustlertwo
2012-01-24, 01:08 PM
Your foe has sprouted two feathery new protrusions from his chest, causing him to cough up blood.

"That is IT! YOU DIE NOW!"

As he shrieks, he points at you and a wave of sonic energy washes over you. You take 4 damage. He then charges his blade, causing it to pulse with energy, and he 5 foot steps to M-14.

Debatra
2012-01-24, 04:13 PM
For a moment, she just stares at him. Then she takes a 5' step to O-13 and unleashes another volley of arrows.

[roll0]
[roll1], [roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4], [roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7], [roll8]

hustlertwo
2012-01-24, 05:31 PM
He is still managing a weak grin as he avoids your first two shots, but the last one in the volley strikes him square in the forehead, and he topples off of the raised platform to the arena floor below, dead.

And then of course he is summarily brought back to life, healed by a cleric, and hobbles off the fighting floor. You are victorious!

----------------------------

After an hour break, you are brought in once again. This time your opponent is a large half-troll, picking his nose with one hand and grasping a sizable greataxe in the other. He is wearing a shiny new chainshirt and a fresh set of cuts.

DM note: as this is an Endurance round you still have the 12 damage from round 1. Your opponent has damage as well, but as a troll his will heal once the fight begins. You can restore your HP at that point as well.

Roll initiative.

Debatra
2012-01-25, 03:03 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

hustlertwo
2012-01-25, 09:44 AM
Once again, it's your honor.

Debatra
2012-01-25, 02:41 PM
Double-move to U-17.

hustlertwo
2012-01-25, 04:42 PM
"Twolly is sore."

He double moves to U-10. His wounds from the previous fight begin to close up right before your eyes.

Debatra
2012-01-26, 02:45 AM
5' to U-16 and shoot over the wall.

[roll0]
[roll1], [roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4], [roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7], [roll8]

hustlertwo
2012-01-26, 11:03 AM
Parabolic shooting is sometimes used as a house rule, but isn't actually RAW, I believe. You can't shoot over the walls.

Debatra
2012-01-26, 04:36 PM
Huh. You know, the thought never actually occured to me. Okay, that first shot takes the wall between us.

hustlertwo
2012-01-26, 05:59 PM
That'll work.

The troll takes an arrow to the leg, reopening one of his wounds. Enraged, he drops his massive axe and rushes toward you (to U-15), landing a vicious critical claw strike for [roll0] damage.

Actually, subtract 2 from that total. Forgot his Strength mod is +5, not +6. So 18 damage.

Debatra
2012-01-26, 10:21 PM
She activates her Healing Devotion, tumbles to R-14 and downs a Potion of Cure Light Wounds.

[roll0]

Healing Devotion - Complete Champion, pg 59. Immediate Action. Fast Healing dependant on HD. At sixth level, Fast Healing 2 for one minute.

hustlertwo
2012-01-26, 10:40 PM
Random tip from a longtime PvP fighter: potions of Faith Healing cost the same and heal the max amount, i.e. 9, every time.

He moves after you to S-14/T-15 and slices with his claws, but misses you by inches.

His wounds continue to heal, however.

Debatra
2012-01-26, 10:58 PM
Never actually heard of that. Book?

Tumble to P-14, Manyshot.

[roll0]
[roll1], [roll2]
[roll3], [roll4]

hustlertwo
2012-01-26, 11:17 PM
I don't own any books, just get information like this from watching others. But I'm pretty sure it's Spell Compendium.

You just barely overcome the creature's tough hide and armor, nestling a pair of arrows into right shoulder. This does little to improve his mood.

He squeezes his sizable form into Q-14, attempting to cut you despite his awkward position. He fails.

Debatra
2012-01-27, 02:11 PM
We have a winner. Spell Compendium, pg 87.

Tumble to N-14, Alchemist's Fire.

Ranged Touch: [roll0]
[roll1]

If Not put out: [roll2]

hustlertwo
2012-01-27, 05:16 PM
The beast, compressed into a tiny space as he attempts to reach you, is easy prey for the alchemical device. He ignores his crisping skin and moves to O-13/P-14, lunging for you once more. But the smoke from his immolated hide gets in his eyes, and he once again comes up short.

Debatra
2012-01-27, 10:18 PM
I'm not even bothering with the Tumble rolls anymore. The DC to move without provoking an AoO is 15, and I have a +14 modifier.

Tumble to L-13, another Manyshot.

[roll0]
[roll1], [roll2]
[roll3], [roll4]

hustlertwo
2012-01-28, 12:05 AM
The arrows bounce harmlessly off his large chain shirt. Much the same as his claw attack does off your armor as he moves into M-13/N-14.

Debatra
2012-01-28, 12:48 PM
J-13, yet another Manyshot.

[roll0]
[roll1], [roll2]
[roll3], [roll4]

hustlertwo
2012-01-28, 01:00 PM
Two arrows sail harmlessly over the troll's head. He moves to K-13/L-14 and manages to catch you with a slash of his dagger-like claws for [roll0] damage. His injuries also continue their slow restoration, aside from the burned flesh caused by your firebomb.

Debatra
2012-01-28, 01:15 PM
G-13, and again.

[roll0]
[roll1], [roll2]
[roll3], [roll4]

hustlertwo
2012-01-28, 01:29 PM
Yet again your skill fails you and the arrows sail wide. The beast squeezes into H-13/I-13 and makes a weak attempt to swipe at you, falling almost a foot short.

Debatra
2012-01-28, 01:41 PM
E-11, shoot the H-13/14 wall defensively. (Dodge bonus increased to +3 from my Tumble ranks)

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]

hustlertwo
2012-01-29, 09:45 AM
He avoids the brunt of the damage but still feels the sting of the shattering shards.

He then moves to E-12/F-13 and lands another lucky blow, carving into you for [roll0]

Debatra
2012-01-29, 02:24 PM
Tumble to J-13, Manyshot.

[roll0]
[roll1], [roll2]
[roll3], [roll4]

hustlertwo
2012-01-29, 05:53 PM
Both arrows land in the troll's chest with a sickening thud. Each breath he draws now has a rather distinctive rattle, and it is clear this barrage dealt him a serious blow, despite his preternatural healing ability.

"Twolly...Twolly will not die. Twolly will make you die! Again and again and again! Die forever!"

He squeezes back in to I-13/H-13 and swipes at you, a narrow miss due to his current confines.

Debatra
2012-01-29, 06:48 PM
L-14, single shot.

[roll0]
[roll1], [roll2]

hustlertwo
2012-01-29, 07:45 PM
The compressed troll is unable to guard against the arrow, which adds to the collection of them currently lodged in his person. He is looking quite the worse for wear. But he still stumbles toward you, landing a swipe for [roll0]

Debatra
2012-01-29, 08:37 PM
N-14, and Manyshot.

[roll0]
[roll1], [roll2]
[roll3], [roll4]

hustlertwo
2012-01-29, 09:07 PM
Well, that'll net you the win...except I think by my count the last claw strike brought you into the negs, even with the fast healing. Is this right, or did I miss something?

Debatra
2012-01-29, 09:26 PM
I've got myself at 3 HP.

hustlertwo
2012-01-29, 09:35 PM
OK, no problem, let's compare our notes and see where the difference lies. I have you at 36 to start, -12 from the first fight so you begin round 2 at 24. From there the troll crits for 20, taking you to 4. You heal 2, going up to 6, then activate Fast Healing 2/round for 10 rounds. Healing for a total of 20 over that time. That's 26, but the troll hits three other times (10, 11, and 9) for a total of 30, leaving you at -4.

Debatra
2012-01-29, 10:07 PM
Okay, I went through the thread again. Not sure where I lost track, but I must have screwed up somewhere in the healing. The thread's giving me the same numbers. (except the 20 damage, which you corrected to 18 in the spoiler in that post) So I guess I'm at -2.

hustlertwo
2012-01-29, 10:48 PM
Oh, good point about the correction. Made me go through to make sure I didn't miss any other time with that, since I sometimes forget Twolly isn't a full troll.

Twolly's last claw strike cuts you just short of your victory, and you fall to the ground, bleeding out. The troll casually goes to retrieve his axe, and then buries it deep into your chest.

Whereupon you promptly resurrect and walk off to the cheers of the crowd for such an excellent match.

If it makes you feel better, you would almost certainly have lost in the final anyhow. The second round foe for Wilstaff will be a specially-made NPC rat creature from Rizban; I don't know a whole lot about it yet, but its HP is well into the three digits and it'll likely have a Strength score north of 30. Even if it doesn't have regeneration it'll chew through every other character in this tournament, NPC and PC alike.

Plus, a NPC character won the first Fight Night as well. So basically, in this tournament WE are the cannon fodder.

You earn 900 combat XP, plus [roll0] crowd appreciation XP for your extended dance of death with Twolly. Thanks for playing.