PDA

View Full Version : Batman vs. The Doctor

Lizard Lord
2012-01-22, 12:42 AM
I know you guys may be sick of this VS. threads, but after seeing one I got thinking of who I would think would be an actually good match for each other. Two individuals that, while being from different universes, have accomplished similar feats and solve their problems in (at least somewhat) similar manors.

Now I could be wrong here as I am sure I don't know these two characters as well as some of you here do, but Batman and the Doctor both sprang to mind for me. They both use gambits and cunning plans to get out of the more difficult situations and I believe they have both defeated godlike beings through mostly, if not entirely, trickery.

While The Doctor obviously has more advanced technology, Batman has more overall resources as well as a clear cut physical advantage. My own theory is that they will run out of gambits and plans to throw at each other and eventually Batman would just beat The Doctor up, but tell me what you guys think.

Now before anyone begins, I don't want to here any "they wouldn't fight" arguments. While it is true that I can think of no conceivable reason for them to fight, that is not the point at all. The point is answering the question of who would win should they ever fight for some bizarre reason.

As for which Doctor, lets just go with the newest one for the sake of being modern if nothing else. (I only know of Doctor Who from the currently running T.V. series anyways.)

Pie Guy
2012-01-22, 12:51 AM
If they fought all out in a featureless room, Batman wins. Why they are fighting controls much of the circumstances.

Nightmarenny
2012-01-22, 01:15 AM
The physical advantage isn't gonna mean anything. What will is that since the doctor has been traveling through time then Batman already has a full-proof plan to beat the doctor and if Batman has time to prepare he wins. This is his superpower.

Tiki Snakes
2012-01-22, 01:43 AM
Just because you don't want to hear it doesn't mean it's any less true. If we're talking about a Batman that's willing to start physically brawling with pacifists, we're straying far enough from the characters to get into very awkwardly theoretical territory.

Batman vs The Doctor would make so much more sense as a Versus if instead they had competing or mutually exclusive goals and were instead trying to acheive these plans before the other can.

turkishproverb
2012-01-22, 02:38 AM
That depends. Is the death of the Wayne's a fixed point in time? If not, the doctor just despawns batman.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-01-22, 02:56 AM
Resources? Assuming Batman has access to all his gadgets and the Doctor all his, then the Doctor also has access to the Tardis. Meaning he can despawn him, move on to a point in time where Wayne is far to old to be effective at anything, or if he has to he can just sonic all his gadgets and then, honestly the Doctor wins.

Yhea Batman is awesome, but the Doctor is smarter, and while he can get knocked around by quite a few people and creatures he also has an uncanny ability of bouncing back so fast you need to duck to not get hit by it. And lets be fair here, Batman may be a superhero who's taken down some of the nastiest baddies on the planet, the Doctor took down the devil. And if you don't want to hear any 10th stuff, 11th both blew up the universe and then saved it from being blow up all at the same time, Batman is pretty out of his leauge unless they get into physical fighting.

turkishproverb
2012-01-22, 02:59 AM
Well, smarter or not, the Doctor has more experience. Batman is what the doctor would call "clever". He might be able to beat the doctor in a game of chess (then again, he might not. I'm not putting money on batman, just illustrating a point), or on a level field, but the Doctor just has access to more info and more tech (heck, the info gives him access to tech even when he doesn't have it with him).

Xondoure
2012-01-22, 03:04 AM
Batman may have faced down gods but his greatest foes are his human ones. Because he can't bring himself to end them, code of honor and all that. If someone get's in the doctors way and I mean really gets in his way there is no saving them.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-01-22, 03:19 AM
Batman may have faced down gods but his greatest foes are his human ones. Because he can't bring himself to end them, code of honor and all that. If someone get's in the doctors way and I mean really gets in his way there is no saving them.

Well not quite true. The modern Doctors has had a habit of giving them a chance to surrender, most are just far to arrogant to take it. Really it's mainly daleks (and even they have been given a chance from time to time) and cybermen who get 0 mercy.

But yhea, smarter, more knowledge and more experience. And to be honest it's not a quite fair comparison either since even if Batman is a superhero the Doctor is a +900 year old alien from a time traveling society that just in general are far above humans. They're not exactly on similar enough power levels to be compared. (I'd be more inclined to do a the Doctor vs Q from star trek or something similar...)

maximus25
2012-01-22, 03:42 AM
The Doctor travels back in time to keep Batman's parents from dying, thus preventing the need for a fight.

Everyone comes out smiling, The Doctor wins.

Selrahc
2012-01-22, 05:59 AM
The Doctor travels back in time to keep Batman's parents from dying, thus preventing the need for a fight.

And the DC world is destroyed a dozen times over due to lack of one of its most effective protectors?

Nightmarenny
2012-01-22, 06:06 AM

To do that he has to get back to the Tardis. Not happening.

Cespenar
2012-01-22, 06:26 AM
Batman is a planner, Doctor is a "I'll think of something on the way" type, generally. From that recipe, Doctor is more likely to win from a conventional script-writing point of view.

Mx.Silver
2012-01-22, 07:20 AM
It really depends on what sort of fight this is. The Doctor doesn't really go in for direct combat and doesn't seem to have any fighting skills (that we've seen anyway) so if it's just a cage match Batman has it in the bag. In a longer scale battle of wits then you're matching Batman's planning abilities versus The Doctor's improvisation skills and experience. In the latter scenario I'd be inclined to give the Doctor an edge, on account of experience, intellect and also because his actions can be quite difficult to predict and plan for. Batman's planning, while formidable, revolves around analysing his foes tactics and fighting style, the problem being The Doctor, as previously mentioned, relies heavily on improvisation meaning that there's a very tight limit on how much preperation time Batman is going to have.

That said, it is honestly rather difficult to imagine a situation where there would be a major conflict between the two. Even if there was on, it would probably have to be over some third party, possibly pitting Batman's need to punish criminals versus The Doctor's willingness to let people redeem themselves.

Batman is a planner, Doctor is a "I'll think of something on the way" type, generally. From that recipe, Doctor is more likely to win from a conventional script-writing point of view.

On the other hand, when The Doctor does go for plans they can be ridiculously elaborate. He can and will exploit time-travel and even manipulate his past self to pull them off, both on a small scale (The Big Bang) and the large one (most of the previous series).

TheArsenal
2012-01-22, 07:29 AM
That said, it is honestly rather difficult to imagine a situation where there would be a major conflict between the two. Even if there was on, it would probably have to be over some third party, possibly pitting Batman's need to punish criminals versus The Doctor's willingness to let people redeem themselves.

Not even that. Batman is lenient to the point of near madness.

Why doesn't he kill the joker/ millions of escapees from the asylum? because he still believes in redemption.

maximus25
2012-01-22, 07:35 AM
And the DC world is destroyed a dozen times over due to lack of one of its most effective protectors?

He never said anything about how this would affect things, only that they fight and asks what the outcome is.

This solves the fight because there never would be a fight in the first place. Doctor wins.

Selrahc
2012-01-22, 07:50 AM
He never said anything about how this would affect things, only that they fight and asks what the outcome is.

Oh yeah, that sounds like the Doctor alright. He's definitely the kind of person who would let an entire planet(or universe) be destroyed in order to win a fight. :smallconfused:

Personal morality, potential in universe limitations on time travel, and DC universe natives committed to preserving a contiguous timeline all prevent the Doctor from doing something like that.

Mx.Silver
2012-01-22, 09:51 AM
Not even that. Batman is lenient to the point of near madness.

Why doesn't he kill the joker/ millions of escapees from the asylum? because he still believes in redemption.

I think it's less that he believes in redemption, more that he just doesn't believe in killing people. He seems to be pretty dedicated to the ideal of justice, and so is probably less likely to let a guilty person escape retribution even if the individual has mended their ways. The Doctor meanwhile has little problem ignoring past crimes if he feels the individual has genuinely changed for the better.

TheArsenal
2012-01-22, 10:01 AM
I think it's less that he believes in redemption, more that he just doesn't believe in killing people. He seems to be pretty dedicated to the ideal of justice, and so is probably less likely to let a guilty person escape retribution even if the individual has mended their ways. The Doctor meanwhile has little problem ignoring past crimes if he feels the individual has genuinely changed for the better.

But thats more of a coffee argument rather then a fight.

"But"

"Im batman"

"bu"

"Batman"

"Aw come on sto

"BAT-MAN"

":smallfrown:........You win"

pffh
2012-01-22, 10:05 AM
How about this scenario:

A Cybermen ship lands in Gotham but for some reason the Cybermen do not start assimilating everyone but start helping Batman and apprehend every villain in Gotham and become Arkhams guards.

With the villains safely guarded by the cybermen in Arkham, Gotham is finally safe and Bruce Wayne retires as the Batman and rests for a few years and everyone is happy. Then the Doctor arrives.

The Doctor sees the Cybermen and knows that while they are good now they will turn evil later and starts doing his doctoring on them. Bruce notices someone messing with the cybermen and as a result the Joker almost escapes Arkham so he decides to don his suit again and go deal with this new threat to the safety of Gotham.

TheArsenal
2012-01-22, 10:13 AM
The Doctor shows Bruce the many places they have attacked and Conquered.

End of Story.

H Birchgrove
2012-01-22, 10:19 AM
The fight should be between the Adam West version of Batman and the Bob Baker version of the Doctor. Because it would be hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

The Doctor has to steal some kind of artefact from the Gotham Museum of History. King Tut gets in the way, and Batman and Robin misunderstand the situation and try to apprehend both. Tut and The Doctor flee together and forms an uneasy alliance, since they want different things from the same museum.

Lizard Lord
2012-01-22, 10:20 AM
I don't know how IC it would be for these two to fight in this scenario, but some people are asking for a reason for them to fight so I'll give it a try.

Lets say Batman hitches a rid with the Doctor and they wind up at a fixed point in time that Batman would want to change (such as the death of Jason Todd or the destruction of Emerald City. Jason Todd's death hits closer to home but the destruction of Emerald City is still death on a massive scale and neither event appears to have any good side effects to them.) The Doctor knows that changing the fixed event would be disastrous and since he fails to convince to Batman of this, tries to stop Batman from trying to change it.

Again, I don't know how IC this would be but it was the only reason I could think of. I hope it is good enough.

Top cat
2012-01-22, 10:24 AM
The doctor's writers are on crack. He pulls out a swirly thing, reverses the polarity of the neutron flow and batman falls off an invisible bridge, is caught by the tardis while falling and restrained while the doctor talks some nonsense into him.

Traab
2012-01-22, 10:38 AM
Hasnt batman gotten ahold of time travel devices himself? There was some goofy looking guy from the future with a funky bit of armor tech that let him travel in time. I think he was using it to steal historical artifacts before they were well protected enough to stop him. In other words, he went back in time to BATMANS time frame, in an attempt to steal priceless historical artifacts from a museum, because the tech wasnt advanced enough to stop him. Moron. If I remember it right, then that means both sides have access to time travel. The Doctor has way more experience using time travel, but batman is the god damn batman!

druid91
2012-01-22, 10:48 AM
The Doctor shows Bruce the many places they have attacked and Conquered.

End of Story.

So... The Most suspicious person in the entire DC universe is just going to take some stranger who almost let the joker escapes word for it?

Though I have to admit this would be a cool crossover if DC and BBC (Or whoever it is) could get together.

Lizard Lord
2012-01-22, 10:53 AM
The doctor's writers are on crack. He pulls out a swirly thing, reverses the polarity of the neutron flow and batman falls off an invisible bridge, is caught by the tardis while falling and restrained while the doctor talks some nonsense into him.

Is this meant to mean that my reason doesn't work, or is this meant to be an attack on the Doctor Who series?

If it is the former, you could have just said that.

Traab
2012-01-22, 11:16 AM
Is this meant to mean that my reason doesn't work, or is this meant to be an attack on the Doctor Who series?

If it is the former, you could have just said that.

Nah, that was how the doctor would beat batman. :p

TheArsenal
2012-01-22, 01:12 PM
So... The Most suspicious person in the entire DC universe is just going to take some stranger who almost let the joker escapes word for it?

Yes. The guy could prove that he is a time traveler! Just by opening the doors to his police box!

Arakune
2012-01-22, 02:59 PM
Isn't the point of the Doctor that he never loses?

Demons_eye
2012-01-22, 03:02 PM
Isn't the point of the Doctor that he never loses?

He loses a lot of times, just not more than he wins. The Demons Run episode was nothing but proving someone could beat him by knowing who he is and how he would react, out thinking him.

Xondoure
2012-01-22, 03:04 PM
Batman: How do I trust you?
Doctor: I am really going to regret this.
*grabs batmans head and smacks foreheads together.*
Batman: I- you-
Doctor: Right details.
*smack*
Batman: Those, those are cybermen! And you. Right. So what are they up to?

Dienekes
2012-01-22, 03:29 PM
Batman: How do I trust you?
Doctor: I am really going to regret this.
*grabs batmans head and smacks foreheads together.*
Batman: I- you-
Doctor: Right details.
*smack*
Batman: Those, those are cybermen! And you. Right. So what are they up to?

I now have the great mental image of The Doctor trying to headbutt Batman only to knock himself unconscious on his helmet.

H Birchgrove
2012-01-22, 09:29 PM
I now have the great mental image of The Doctor trying to headbutt Batman only to knock himself unconscious on his helmet.

Yeah, it took some time before I realised it was about mind meld. :smallbiggrin:

Hopeless
2012-01-23, 03:54 AM
There is however one exception if the Batman tried to pick a fight with the Third Doctor he will undoubtedly hand the Batman his backside!

First will simply talk him round and as a slightly older gentleman has no problems driving Bats nuts, the Second will come across as too comical but he'll eventually get through since he isn't prone to violence, Third as i said would win any such fight outright with the option of just sicking the Brigadier on him!
Fourth would simply use charm and when that doesn't work outwit Bats since he is at least one doctor Bats can't outmatch!
Fifth would easily persuade Bats around since he's so decent and sincere even Bats can't ignore the fact something else must be going on!
Sixth, well okay I wouldn't mind Bats punching a few times, sorry but he comes across badly!
Seventh has Ace with him, do you really want her to start pulling out the Nitro Nine or whatever else she has in that bag of hers? I didn't think so!
Anyway Seventh albeit kooky would eventually work Bats around even if its after chasing him across Gotham and back which i do see happening!
Eighth, not a clue didn't have long enough to gauge an opinion, one day I'll try those audio stories...
Ninth well I can see him evading Bats and talking Robin round well maybe not Damien but at the very least enough to get his help even if Bats is against it which knowing him he'll probably will be!
Tenth, dear god the one person who could out riddle the riddler make the joker turn and run and quite probably tease the heck out of the rest of Bats rogue's gallery well I suppose he's great at running but would Bats take him seriously?
Eleventh the most likely Bats will punch in the face but he'll persist at least trying to explain himself and then promptly escape from Gordon's custody before continuing and this time Bats will prepare and thats when he'll realise what Eleven was trying to tell him!
Admittedly I'd love to see Bats and the JLA face off the Daleks only for the doctor to turn up and send them fleeing.
Bats would probably understand the Dalek's point of view!

Cheesegear
2012-01-23, 08:38 AM
Ninth well I can see him evading Bats and talking Robin round well maybe not Damien but at the very least enough to get his help even if Bats is against it which knowing him he'll probably will be!

Not really. Ninth would give Batman one chance to surrender now. If Batman doesn't take it, bad things happen.

Hopeless
2012-01-23, 11:23 AM
Not really. Ninth would give Batman one chance to surrender now. If Batman doesn't take it, bad things happen.

Only if he pulled that shenanigan in the official first meeting between Bats and Supes but otherwise I can't see Nine bothering too much with Bats unless he gets in the way although I can see any of the doctor's simply working out its Bats who has the explosive charge hidden on himself rather than any innocent as he had claimed in that meeting.

Admittedly I'd love to see a video with that scene worked in with a Batman video!