PDA

View Full Version : Warm Bodies (Oh my gosh it's happened)

Draconi Redfir
2012-01-23, 07:39 PM
So i was browsing the internet today and i.... well...

i found this.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/8379/omgwtfdt.png

Discuss and/or panic. The choice is yours.

Tiki Snakes
2012-01-23, 08:06 PM
Drama, Horror, Romance.
It seems to be missing the Comedy tag, for some reason. :smallconfused:

Serpentine
2012-01-23, 08:09 PM
As I said a couple of weeks ago on Facebook, I sorta really wanna watch this :biggrin:

I found this in the wiki, at the time: "The zombies donít really talk in the film, so extensive voice-over will be used to express their thoughts.[7] Director Levine sought to expand the zombie mythology by making the zombies better looking than in other films".

Weezer
2012-01-23, 08:12 PM
As I said a couple of weeks ago on Facebook, I sorta really wanna watch this :biggrin:

I found this in the wiki, at the time: "The zombies donít really talk in the film, so extensive voice-over will be used to express their thoughts.[7] Director Levine sought to expand the zombie mythology by making the zombies better looking than in other films".

Cause voice over thoughts tend to work so well in films. And great, we'll have a girl falling in love with the man who *ate* her boyfriend and can't talk. We might have even worse relationship advice in this movie than Twilight gave us. Which is horrifying in it's own right.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-01-23, 08:16 PM
Yeah, but I doubt this movie will be a) taking itself seriously, or b) a gigantic pre-teen phenomenon.

Draconi Redfir
2012-01-23, 08:18 PM
Cause voice over thoughts tend to work so well in films. And great, we'll have a girl falling in love with the man who *ate* her boyfriend and can't talk. We might have even worse relationship advice in this movie than Twilight gave us. Which is horrifying in it's own right.

"Just because i'm alive and he's dead doesn't mean we can't be in love!"

Ravens_cry
2012-01-23, 08:21 PM
Ah, it's a classic, boy-loves-girl-zombie-eats-boy-zombie-loves-girl romance.
Truly eternal in its scope and themes, a film for the ages.

Goosefeather
2012-01-23, 08:32 PM
Please. The one true rom-zom-com has always and shall forever remain this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365748/).

Traab
2012-01-23, 08:41 PM
"Just because i'm alive and he's dead doesn't mean we can't be in love!"

"What girl doesnt love the strong silent type?"

"I love a guy that can listen!"

Lord Raziere
2012-01-23, 08:46 PM
Ah, the classic tale of Zombeo and Juliet and their star-crossed unholy love that will lead to tragedy. for our faith in humanity's intelligence.

Goosefeather
2012-01-23, 08:52 PM
Turns out there's a corner of the internet (http://mingle2.com/zombieharmony/free-dating-sites) for everything!

IrnBruAddict
2012-01-23, 08:56 PM
Please. The one true rom-zom-com has always and shall forever remain this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365748/).

Too true!

Lets hope the guy isn't FRIGID in bed.

This could cause quite a STINK with the girls parents.

He could give her HIS hand in marriage. LITERALLY!

Lets hope FRANK WEST isn't the wedding photographer.

And many more bad jokes like this.

Weezer
2012-01-23, 08:58 PM
Turns out there's a corner of the internet (http://mingle2.com/zombieharmony/free-dating-sites) for everything!

The real question in this kind of situation is not why that site exists, but why you had the link to it. :smalltongue:

Maquise
2012-01-23, 09:01 PM
Didn' we recently establish that the undead and love don't mix well?:smallconfused:

Orzel
2012-01-23, 09:11 PM
Lower undead are known cheaters.
Drama!

Lord Seth
2012-01-23, 09:22 PM
I didn't even know zombie romance was a thing. Then again, one of the prospective pilots for this TV season ("Awakening") was about a lawyer in a relationship who was secretly a zombie.

Togath
2012-01-24, 12:23 AM
from the short description this movie sounds like it could go one of two ways; if they try to make it anything other than a comedy it'll probably fail(come on, how can you have a romance where one character can't even speak?, It would be even worse than twillight, even if they go with horror it would still probably not do very well, as you remove any tension by having a main charatcer not "infected and going to become a zombie" but instead already one), or the other option of having it be a comedy(which might just work, as a good writer can turn pretty much anything into a good comedy if they try from the start to make it one)

TheArsenal
2012-01-24, 02:57 AM
I never got that type of humor:

"Hahahaha its funny because other people suffer because of zombies-DATS THE JOKE!"

But again, I have zombie phobia.

Draconi Redfir
2012-01-24, 03:03 AM
Bluh i'm probably going to regret saying this, but i think i might watch this at some point. Not on opening night of coarse, i want to support this thing as little as possible. Maybe a movie rental or from netflix if possible.

Just because Iím curious as to how they pull it off, Iím expecting something similar to twilight, but the idea behind it (Zombie retains some if not most of itís mentality rather then just being a walking eating machine) at least sounds somewhat original. Though perhaps my mind is being clouded by fond memories of ď28 weeks laterĒ (one of the characters gets infected early on and follows his children around specifically. He still tries to kill them of course, but he still targets them above all others.)

Pokonic
2012-01-24, 11:51 AM
So i was browsing the internet today and i.... well...

i found this.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/8379/omgwtfdt.png

Discuss and/or panic. The choice is yours.

This.....

What is this? Honastly, I knew that there was going to be some sort of stupid reboot of either A. fairy tales or B. Vampire flicks.

Now this exists. My god, and to think my idea for a Humpty Dumpty movie (All the kings men, could not put him together again.....) was the most idiotic idea I could concive. Jebbus. There is now somthing to rival Shark Attack 3D in my mind as the worst thing I must see.:smalltongue:

Tengu_temp
2012-01-24, 12:10 PM
The zombies donít really talk in the film, so extensive voice-over will be used to express their thoughts.

Make it Morgan Freeman and I'll watch it.

Starbuck_II
2012-01-24, 01:38 PM
This.....

What is this? Honastly, I knew that there was going to be some sort of stupid reboot of either A. fairy tales or B. Vampire flicks.

Now this exists. My god, and to think my idea for a Humpty Dumpty movie (All the kings men, could not put him together again.....) was the most idiotic idea I could concive. Jebbus. There is now somthing to rival Shark Attack 3D in my mind as the worst thing I must see.:smalltongue:

Humpty was in Puss in Boots movie.

Mr.Silver
2012-01-24, 01:57 PM
I can't help but notice that one of the two writers is credited with the 'novel'. I thought this must be a mistake because surely nobody would have actually written- No, never mind, they did. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_Bodies)

H Birchgrove
2012-01-24, 02:29 PM
Guess why I came up with the idea of Mindflayer romance? :smalltongue: (The Succubus did a very good job at developing the idea, kudos to him. :smallcool: )

Krazzman
2012-01-24, 02:50 PM
As I mentioned to my GF, as I saw that thing... anyone who says to me it's a good movie, or I should watch it because the romance is soooo good, deserves my boot...in his/her face...

kpenguin
2012-01-24, 04:01 PM
Make it Morgan Freeman and I'll watch it.

March of the Zombies? I'd watch it.

Pokonic
2012-01-24, 04:16 PM
Humpty was in Puss in Boots movie.

In the vein of the Red Riding Hood movie and the like.

Serpentine
2012-01-24, 08:12 PM
As I mentioned to my GF, as I saw that thing... anyone who says to me it's a good movie, or I should watch it because the romance is soooo good, deserves my boot...in his/her face...It could still be good - because of sheer hilarity and weirdness, or maybe even genuinely good if it's self-aware enough.

bluewind95
2012-01-24, 09:55 PM
There are two book reviews linked on Wikipedia. Both are very positive. The idea behind why zombies eat brains is kind of interesting, really.

... That said. Romance. I wouldn't watch or read it. A snippet provided in one of the reviews at least shows it's a lot better-written than one would think. But still.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-25, 05:12 AM
It could still be good - because of sheer hilarity and weirdness, or maybe even genuinely good if it's self-aware enough.
Eh, I am growing less and less forgiving of something merely because it is "self aware". While it can be used well, Mystery Men is a nice example, it sometimes feels like merely an excuse.
"Yes, we know we're awful, but we're so gosh darn cute about it, you got to love us!"
It's like when someone screws up and turns and says, "I meant to do that."

Aotrs Commander
2012-01-25, 07:33 AM

I really should be less surprised than I am.

Nothing is sacred is it? There is literally nothing humans won't try to pretty up and romanticise, is there?

Also, I am the only one a bit bothered by the plot summary? Nevermind the zombie thing, the whole "romance with the guy that killed your boyfriend." That... seems a little bit Stockholmy, to me, at the very least. I mean, that's getting to within spitting distance of "I married the guy who raped my sister" or something equally horrid. You're really gonna form a romantic attachment to someone who killed and ate one of your loved ones? Really? I'm not seeing seeing it, I am not.

Of course, it almost certainly means - parody or not - they will end up villifying the boyfriend somehow. Because if he's a jerk, it's somehow okay for you to get involved with the guy who killed and ate him, it's not wrong on so many levels at all, right?

Though I'm not sure it wouldn't be worse if they don't because that just makes it all the more creepy - especially if they play up the "poor zombie is tragically misunderstood" angle...which, with the whole "can't spek" thing could bring it awfully close to equating to the zombie being the girl's pet or something. (Though what's a little metaphorical beasitality when necrophilia is involved already, right?) Actually, I'm not gonna follow that train of thought for too long, because it could lead to another, darker train of thought which is not even remotely acceptable.

I am so totally expecting this to show up in Bad Movie Beat Down or Phelous at some point, I can't see how this will not end up being dissonantly creepy and dreadful to watch, even if it's techically passable (unless it turns out to be a particularly stellarly-written farce/parody.)

Maybe I'm overreacting a bit, because I find the thought of sexualising the Undead to be particularly offensive (I barely count Vampires as Undead, truth be known, and the very lowest form of that), but I just can't shake the feeling that this is just wrong on so many levels.

Serpentine
2012-01-25, 08:04 AM
The Wiki, iirc, says the boyfriend's actually suicidal. So my guess is he basically feeds himself to the zombie.
Eh, I am growing less and less forgiving of something merely because it is "self aware". While it can be used well, Mystery Men is a nice example, it sometimes feels like merely an excuse.
"Yes, we know we're awful, but we're so gosh darn cute about it, you got to love us!"
It's like when someone screws up and turns and says, "I meant to do that."I think maybe we have difference conceptions of "self-awareness"...

The Succubus
2012-01-25, 08:15 AM
"What girl doesnt love the strong silent type?"

"I love a guy that can listen!"

Two words: Rigor Mortis. :smallwink:

Aotrs Commander
2012-01-25, 08:24 AM
The Wiki, iirc, says the boyfriend's actually suicidal. So my guess is he basically feeds himself to the zombie.

*skullpalm*

Yes, of course, I've should have figured that one. Because that plot device makes everything so much less unwholesome, doesn't it?

I'm somehow doubting the moral and serious emotional issues this brings up are going to be treated with the gravity they would actually have...

Why does this sound more and more like the summary of a really bad fanfiction?

If they are going to treat this with earnest seriousness, which alarming it seems they are, I'm actually a little concerned... The whole concept smacks to be of exploitism of some type somewhere, with this many pitfalls...

Right, before I say anymore, I ought to at least make myself a little better informed; never let it be said I'm not prepared to be reasonably fair...

Okay, I read the wiki entry. Wow. That's...all kinds of wrong, and it's not going to be a funny parody at all, is it? I mean, they're taking this deadly seriously, aren't they? And jumping on the most dysfunctional bits of Twilight's bandwagon...

Though apparently, looking at some of the reveiws of the book, it's making Romeo and Juliet allusions. Which I suppose puts in ahead of Twilight, though not by much.

Something about the whole concept I find just...unusually unsettling. Not just any one element, but all of them together...

Draconi Redfir
2012-01-25, 08:28 AM

I really should be less surprised than I am.

Nothing is sacred is it? There is literally nothing humans won't try to pretty up and romanticise, is there?

Coming soon to Theatres:

Lolita: When a fifty year old man falls in love with the thirteen year old girl he is tutoring, an entire societies dedication on keeping the two lovers apart fuels the most romantic runaway drama of both generations!

(But hopefully not really)

Though now that i think about it... Tsukiko would love this movie.

Eldan
2012-01-25, 08:57 AM
Coming soon to Theatres:

Lolita: When a fifty year old man falls in love with the thirteen year old girl he is tutoring, an entire societies dedication on keeping the two lovers apart fuels the most romantic runaway drama of both generations!

Then it turns out he's an alien and she's a werewolf.

Serpentine
2012-01-25, 09:27 AM
Though apparently, looking at some of the reveiws of the book, it's making Romeo and Juliet allusions. Which I suppose puts in ahead of Twilight, though not by much.Hopefully the right ones (a couple of moronic kids who end up ruining everything with their naive stupidity), not the wrong ones (teenage love is beautiful and amazing and adults are all stupid and romance and stuff!).
Coming soon to Theatres:

(But hopefully not really)
Then it turns out he's an alien and she's a werewolf.You've very nearly summarised the first original series Twilight Zone episode I watched in my "watch all the old Twilight Zones" binge a few years ago (sans werewolf)...
Though now that i think about it... Tsukiko would love this movie.Whoa, yeah. She doesn't have a credit in it anywhere, does she?

TheArsenal
2012-01-25, 09:38 AM
It's like when someone screws up and turns and says, "I meant to do that."

That was Tangled for me.

"Hehe look, because were REFERENCING the fact that we avoid all types of voilence, there is no good villain and the characters are cut outs (Seriously, people parody Cinderella but SHES off the hook?) it makes it all OK."

And Yeah, this movie is for Tsukiko.

And it sounds both stupid and disgusting. What a cheap film. Make the guy suicidal.

Tiki Snakes
2012-01-25, 10:33 AM
Okay, I read the wiki entry. Wow. That's...all kinds of wrong, and it's not going to be a funny parody at all, is it? I mean, they're taking this deadly seriously, aren't they? And jumping on the most dysfunctional bits of Twilight's bandwagon...

Well, the first quote on the book's cover is an endorsement from Stephenie Meyer.

Make of that what you will.

Aotrs Commander
2012-01-25, 10:57 AM
Hopefully the right ones (a couple of moronic kids who end up ruining everything with their naive stupidity), not the wrong ones (teenage love is beautiful and amazing and adults are all stupid and romance and stuff!).

Well, the first quote on the book's cover is an endorsement from Stephenie Meyer.

Make of that what you will.

So, I'mma gonna hazard a guess it's unlikely to be the former, Serpentine...!

Axolotl
2012-01-25, 11:05 AM

Make of that what you will.Come on now, you're only giving half the picture. The person who gave second quote on the cover is fairly noteworthy.

Personally that's what intrigued me about the book and I've been meaningto read it for several years now, perhaps I will now a films coming out.

Pokonic
2012-01-25, 03:25 PM
So, I'mma gonna hazard a guess it's unlikely to be the former, Serpentine...!

Wow, a endorsment from one of the worst auther I have ever had the displeasure to read from. Bah, I suppose the only way to see just how horrible the movie is is to wait and see.

Also, it seems that hollywood is randomly reading storys out of Brothers Grimm volumes and making them into crappy movies. Let me show you one. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1opzWmr8NSU)

Lord Seth
2012-01-25, 03:37 PM

Make of that what you will.The quote is "Isaac Marion has created the most unexpected romantic lead I've ever encountered." Does that really count as an endorsement? It doesn't say the book is good. It doesn't say the book is bad. It just says something about it is unexpected. I think they mostly just wanted it there not so much for the quote, but just because the reference to Twilight might attract Twilight fans to the book to make it sell better. That's why they put the second quote in there: to actually say something in favor of it and try to draw other people in.

It's kind of like how one of the review blurbs at the back of the Vampire Academy series calls it "the obvious heir to the Twilight throne" even though, if you compare them, it has about as much in common with Twilight as Buffy the Vampire Slayer has in common with Twilight.

Axolotl
2012-01-25, 03:45 PM
The quote is "Isaac Marion has created the most unexpected romantic lead I've ever encountered." Does that really count as an endorsement? It doesn't say the book is good. It doesn't say the book is bad. It just says something about it is unexpected. I think they mostly just wanted it there not so much for the quote, but just because the reference to Twilight might attract Twilight fans to the book to make it sell better. That's why they put the second quote in there: to actually say something in favor of it and try to draw other people in.Um, the quote is "I never thought I could care so passionately for a zombie... Isaac Marion has created the most unexpected romantic lead I've ever encountered" which is an endorsement.

But as I said above, the interesting part is in who gave the second quote used on the cover.

Lord Seth
2012-01-25, 03:49 PM
Um, the quote is "I never thought I could care so passionately for a zombie... Isaac Marion has created the most unexpected romantic lead I've ever encountered" which is an endorsement.Well, not on the cover I looked at. Maybe they changed it or something.

Axolotl
2012-01-25, 03:55 PM
Well, not on the cover I looked at. Maybe they changed it or something.On futher inspection I'm guessing you saw the US cover, turns out I was looking at the UK cover which I didn't realise was different.

Riverdance
2012-01-25, 04:35 PM
My thoughts- "That sounds like Twilight with more rotting"

Ravens_cry
2012-01-25, 04:42 PM
I think maybe we have difference conceptions of "self-awareness"...
OK, what do you mean by it? Just so we don't have a confusion of terms.

Scarlet Knight
2012-01-25, 06:14 PM
So let me get this straight: a girl has a boyfriend, who then becomes a cold, emotionless, shell of his former self?

That's not a sitcom...it's a marriage! *rum bum sheesh!*

Tiki Snakes
2012-01-25, 06:17 PM
I don't even know who the second person is, so I really couldn't comment.
But even if the Meyer line wasn't a glowing endorsement (which it seems to be) it speaks volumes about target audiences and so on.
Not that I'm judging a book by it's cover or anything. Actually I'm totally judging the book by it's cover.

No idea what territory the cover is from, whichever one is the image on the wiki page I guess.

pffh
2012-01-26, 05:15 AM
So let me get this straight: a girl has a boyfriend, who then becomes a cold, emotionless, shell of his former self?

No the girl has a boyfriend that gets eaten by the zombie who in turn falls in love with the girl.

Scarlet Knight
2012-01-26, 01:28 PM
"What the..? Tsukiko! This isn't a Turn Zombie scroll! It's a Turn On Zombie scroll! "

Tyndmyr
2012-01-26, 02:06 PM
(me talking to gf about this impending atrocity)

Her: Well, I DO love me some zombies.
Me: If a zombie eats me, you best not go out with him.
Her: What if it's the only way to keep a part of you close to me?
Me: ...at least you love me for my mind.

Low-Key
2012-01-26, 04:08 PM
Dear Thread,
Please see Wild Zero.

Highlights include:

Cast:
Guitar Wolf ... Himself
Drum Wolf ... Himself
Bass Wolf ... Himself

Quote:
Love has no borders, nationalities, or genders!

Synopsis:
Only legendary Japanese garage rock band Guitar Wolf can stand between a race of aliens from destroying earth with an army of zombies

Pokonic
2012-01-26, 07:34 PM
"What the..? Tsukiko! This isn't a Turn Zombie scroll! It's a Turn On Zombie scroll! "

I Know! :smallredface:

Arminius
2012-01-26, 09:38 PM
There had better not be glitter involved.:smallfrown:

Raistlin1040
2012-01-27, 04:57 AM
God, I really hate the Prequels of Star Wars. They are the worst movies I have ever seen and everyone involved with them should just stop doing anything ever again.

Oh wait, you mean this thread is actually about something? It's not just a spot to hate on an internet punching bag with a massive hatedom? Oh, how silly of me. This movie looks...interesting? I probably won't see it unless I see a really good trailer, but I don't know. It's could be really good or it could be awful, but it's at least unconventional.

Serpentine
2012-01-27, 07:17 AM
Dear Thread,
Please see Wild Zero.

Highlights include:

Cast:
Guitar Wolf ... Himself
Drum Wolf ... Himself
Bass Wolf ... Himself

Quote:
Love has no borders, nationalities, or genders!

Synopsis:
Only legendary Japanese garage rock band Guitar Wolf can stand between a race of aliens from destroying earth with an army of zombiesI was trying to remember that. I think I saw the last, like, 5 minutes of it.

Solaris
2012-01-27, 07:24 AM

Don't do that, I live in a tent with forty other guys and about half of them are asleep right now.

I'm still chuckling.

DigoDragon
2012-01-27, 07:33 AM
Eh, I'm not into zombie/vampire/werewolf stories anymore. I'd be more interested in a cryptozoological unreality setting, like Jersey Devil Shore. :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2012-01-27, 07:33 AM
Oh wait, you mean this thread is actually about something? It's not just a spot to hate on an internet punching bag with a massive hatedom? Oh, how silly of me. This movie looks...interesting? I probably won't see it unless I see a really good trailer, but I don't know. It's could be really good or it could be awful, but it's at least unconventional.
One could turn it around and ask "why is 'unconventional' a selling point?" Besides, it really feels like the only reason this movie was made was because another classic undead monster got the Harlequin treatment. And at least that had, certain controversial elements notwithstanding, mythological precedent. Zombies have never been shown as beings even remotely capable of falling in love or other human emotions besides 'feed' and 'make swarm'.
It would make more sense to have a story about a grizzly bear that killed a hunter then got all love struck for the widow.
I will call it 'Beared Hearts' and it will sell millions, millions I say, Mu-Wah-ha-ha-ha! ! !

Serpentine
2012-01-27, 09:43 AM
It's redundant, but... because unconventional is new and different, and new and different is interesting. Seems pretty obvious to me :smallconfused:
Eh, I'm not into zombie/vampire/werewolf stories anymore. I'd be more interested in a cryptozoological unreality setting, like Jersey Devil Shore. :smallbiggrin:Anything that has "cryptozoological" in the description has my support :smallsmile:

Tyndmyr
2012-01-27, 10:58 AM
God, I really hate the Prequels of Star Wars. They are the worst movies I have ever seen and everyone involved with them should just stop doing anything ever again.

Oh, I plan to see it. It will hilarious. It'll be like going to see Twilight and throwing popcorn on the violently struggling team jacob/edward mob as they try to maim each other. I like a good spectacle.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-27, 11:49 AM
It's redundant, but... because unconventional is new and different, and new and different is interesting. Seems pretty obvious to me :smallconfused:Anything that has "cryptozoological" in the description has my support :smallsmile:
I'm not saying "new and different" is bad, but I am saying it is value neutral, something should be judged on it's own merits not on its novelty value. If someone intentionally added vomit to a bowl of chilli, that would be new and certainly different, but it would also be ten kinds of disgusting. I am not saying this is that bad, but it just looks like someone thought:
"Hey, you know what's popular right now? Chicks getting creeped on by undead. We can't use vampires because we'll get our pants sued off, but what other undead is hip right now? Hey, zombies are big these days, kids love zombies right? Let's use zombies."

Serpentine
2012-01-27, 12:29 PM
It's value neutral to you. To Raistlin, clearly, and to me, it is, indeed, a selling point. Your opinion is not, in fact, the be all and end all of value. What's more, Raistlin never said unconventionality would make it good or bad, just that it made it at least more interesting to him than if it were not unconventional.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-27, 12:52 PM
It's value neutral to you. To Raistlin, clearly, and to me, it is, indeed, a selling point. Your opinion is not, in fact, the be all and end all of value. What's more, Raistlin never said unconventionality would make it good or bad, just that it made it at least more interesting to him than if it were not unconventional.
I know my opinion isn't the end all and be all, but I am saying that I personally think mere novelty isn't the wisest way to judge something. Every idea, every concept was new once, good and bad.
And there have been some very, very bad ideas out there.

Serpentine
2012-01-27, 02:25 PM
This:
It's could be really good or it could be awful, but it's at least unconventional.is hardly judging anything, and I seriously don't understand why you've chosen to leap so heavily on this one throwaway line :smallconfused:

He didn't say, "it's unconventional and therefore it'll be good!" It's specifically preceeded by "it could be really good or it could be awful".

Personally, I'll be checking it out for that very reason (among others), whether you think it's a "wise way to judge something" or not.

Sorry Raistlin, don't mean to be all fighting your battle. It just bugged me.

Lord Seth
2012-01-27, 04:33 PM
Out of curiosity, has anyone here actually read the original novel?
"Hey, you know what's popular right now? Chicks getting creeped on by undead. We can't use vampires because we'll get our pants sued off, but what other undead is hip right now? Hey, zombies are big these days, kids love zombies right? Let's use zombies."Uh...why would using vampires lead to a lawsuit?

Ravens_cry
2012-01-27, 09:54 PM
Out of curiosity, has anyone here actually read the original novel?Uh...why would using vampires lead to a lawsuit?
OK, maybe not a lawsuit, but they are certainly going for the same audience.
@Serpentine: Sorry I came across so strong. Pet peeve I guess. I apologize for being so forceful about it.

H Birchgrove
2012-01-27, 10:28 PM
Out of curiosity, has anyone here actually read the original novel?

One of my female mates have read it. She thought it was good.

Lord Seth
2012-01-27, 11:36 PM
OK, maybe not a lawsuit, but they are certainly going for the same audience.But that makes your statement make even less sense, as it means you're saying that you think they think "Vampire romance is really popular? Well, let's not do it because it's in the same demographic we're going for, and let's do something else instead."
One of my female mates have read it. She thought it was good.To what extent do you trust her judgment? Because I'm seeing a lot of negative reaction to it by people who've never read it, and it seems like it got a fair amount of praise from people who did read it. Though I'm not sure I'd be a good judge as it doesn't seem the kind of thing I'd be into even if it was good.

Then again, I'm a fan of The Vampire Diaries TV series, and I really liked the Vampire Academy book series...so clearly supernatural romance isn't an automatic turnoff for me.

bluewind95
2012-01-28, 12:18 AM
I'm really intrigued by what I read in the book reviews, about how the characters are really... well... memorable. The small snippet included in one didn't seem like something a talentless person could have written.

It seems to me that the book isn't just mindless romance, but rather kind of exploring what makes love (and/or romance) matter. Here you have a zombie with feelings, but no way to express them with words, which are oftentimes *the* way to express feelings. The zombies here don't seem to be mindless: in fact they are stated to eat brains in order to get the memories from people because they've lost theirs and they want the memories and the feelings. Apparently, the narrator of the story is the zombie. I dunno, the premise seems interesting enough, not at the first glance of "zombie romance", but when you actually read what it is.

I'd be more likely to read the novel rather than watch the movie, though. Movies have this way of losing important details and changing the tone of a book entirely. And it's a romance anyways.

NinjaStylerobot
2012-01-28, 01:15 AM
Here is what REALY should happen:

"Brains"

"AH A ZOMBIE!"

*Gets out shotgun*

BOOM

"Phew, now wheres my boyfriend?"

Because seriously this concept is beginning to look offensive AND dumb.

"Its ok that her boyfriend is dead because *Rolls die* hes Cheating, abusive, not for her, suicidal.

Phew, now its OK that shes going to fall in love with this monstrocity."

Togath
2012-01-28, 03:40 AM
Because seriously this concept is beginning to look offensive AND dumb.

aye that's pretty much how I feel about it as well.
It just seems sorta weird how a studio could fail to see the problem with "girl falls in love with guy, guy is eaten, girl falls in love with undead who ate him", I mean, how did they miss the problem there?, Even twilight had a somewhat more logical plot(didn't like the series myself, and haven't watched any of the movies, but even it sounds better then this movie).
I almost wonder if they were drunk when they chose to make this movie.

The Succubus
2012-01-28, 08:20 AM
I think it could be interesting because they're trying to do something with zombies other than have them as chainsaw/shotgun fodder. Oddly enough, one of my favourite zombie movies in George A Romero's "...of the Dead" series is Land of the Dead because it ascribes primitive emotions to zombies and actually makes you wonder whether its a memory of what they were or whether its the evolution of a new species.

It depends how they handle the zombies really. If they go too far with the undead side, they risk running into squick but if they go too far into the human side it's going to be a case of "LOLTWILIGHT". Romance isn't really my ideal sort of TV but I'll keep an open mind.

NinjaStylerobot
2012-01-28, 08:43 AM
I HATED land of the dead because it was SO hamfisted.

Are we supposed to sympathize with the Zombies? HOW THIER GOING TO THE CITY TO KILL EVERYONE! It also ends on this hyper cheery note. Where will the survivors go? There all going to die.

Because at the end of the day if a zombie says "I like sports". Its STILL a flesh eating zombie! Don't try to make us sympathize with a force that has now killed all of the world!

Oh SURE a walking corpse that is going to rot into nothingness in 3 weeks that barely can do anything and its first instinct is "Kill" is Defiantly a evolution of our species.

Same thing with this.

Because this romance will not work. Mostly because the zombie will rot into nothing in 3 weeks. Why not show a guy with half his face rotting off and no legs? Nope, we get mister supermodel.

The Succubus
2012-01-28, 02:02 PM
Are we supposed to sympathize with the Zombies? HOW THIER GOING TO THE CITY TO KILL EVERYONE! It also ends on this hyper cheery note. Where will the survivors go? There all going to die.

Yes, because the humans of aforementioned city were living in happy-lollipop-land singing kumbyah and watching My Little Pony together. /sarcasm.

Let's see:
Chollo (or whatever the Spanish chap's name was) - gets a crew member killed for a bottle of whisky. He then proceeds to steal a heavily armed vehicle with the sole intent of killing thousands.

The Midget Pimp - Hurls the heroine into a zombie pit for sports and gambling and then tries to have Riley assassinated.

The Ruler of the City - Double crosses Chollo and then tries to have the security guard murder him. Chollo also hints that he has murdered multiple people on his behalf in the past.

The Underclass - Were planning a revolution to deal with the people that lived in the skyscraper. Were their methods going to involve strongly worded letters to their representatives? I doubt it.

But by all means, let's focus on the fact that the zombies were killing people. It's part of a zombie's nature - it's a predatory creature. If you saying that it's ridiculous that a predatory species would ever develop something as complex as "emotions" or "feelings", then I'm going to have to ask for you Human Race membership card back.

NinjaStylerobot
2012-01-28, 02:30 PM
Yes, because the humans of aforementioned city were living in happy-lollipop-land singing kumbyah and watching My Little Pony together. /sarcasm.

So the zombies where coming to put them out of their misery? Guess that makes the wholesale slaughter of innocent men women and children a OK.

Humans do bad stuff

And? So what? Yes the movie tried make it that the humans come off as *******s. Most shlock horror movies do.

Its not hard. Yes humans are jerks, but at the same time they are a HUNDRED MILLION times better then the beings who's primary instinct is KILL (Not survive- Kill there is an important difference).

This type of story is very easy to do:

"Aliens invade planet and kill off men, women, children, the disabled, the suffering, the lucky, the poor. But lets show some images of humans being ***** beforehand. That way we can make thier grissly murders enjoyable."

Movies like Hostel and Cabin Fever all do this type of shlock. You could say that the Flesh eating disease or the Crazy rich killers are the good guys because the main characters are jerks. Or "It made you think".

If a demon ate your soul but then made an adorable sound you used to make when you where alive- Its still a demon that devoured your soul.

Its kind of funny:

"Who are the REAL flesh eating zombies here?...Oh right the flesh eating zombies"

It's part of a zombie's nature - it's a predatory creature.

No its not. Zombies don't NEED food to live. A Tiger killing a rabbit is understandable. It needs the food to live and to feed its young. it has a reason for doing so. Zombies do that for no reason at all. Just because thier programming told them so.

The Zombies where nothing more then Robots with human hats. Showing a bunch of human dickery (Why not show the zombies remorselessly devour the children and babies in the complex?) doesn't change that.

The reason why I find the Concept of warm Bodies offensive is that:

A: It also follows shlock romance rules. Its OK that the other boy died. He was suicidal! what if he wasn't? Then this would be tragic and horrifying! But that would scare away the romance crowd.:smallannoyed:

B: It looks surprisingly twilightish (Get a pretty boy as the zombie. Not a 2 week old rotten elderly man)

Axolotl
2012-01-28, 02:47 PM
The reason why I find the Concept of warm Bodies offensive is that:

A: It also follows shlock romance rules. Its OK that the other boy died. He was suicidal! what if he wasn't? Then this would be tragic and horrifying! But that would scare away the romance crowd.:smallannoyed:

B: It looks surprisingly twilightish (Get a pretty boy as the zombie. Not a 2 week old rotten elderly man)I take it you've read the book then?

NinjaStylerobot
2012-01-28, 03:04 PM
I take it you've read the book then?

You got me there. But I can STILL take offense at a concept.

"Until you have seen "Nazi porno Halocoust 3000 you cannot take offense at it" is not a valid excuse.

I read a plot synopsis. Its as sappy, stupid, and over-romanticized as you would have expected.

edit:

Is this Twilight proof yet? (http://randomology.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Zombie-Romance.png)

The Succubus
2012-01-28, 06:10 PM
Well, I don't agree with most of what you've written (but hey, this is the internet, you're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine) but I do agree with you that the guy in the picture does look remarkably....tidy....for a zombie. Admittedly I don't know his C.o.D - it might be poisoning or a disease of some sort that left his body reasonably intact but I dunno....*shrug*

NinjaStylerobot
2012-01-28, 06:15 PM
Well, I don't agree with most of what you've written (but hey, this is the internet, you're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine) but I do agree with you that the guy in the picture does look remarkably....tidy....for a zombie. Admittedly I don't know his C.o.D - it might be poisoning or a disease of some sort that left his body reasonably intact but I dunno....*shrug*

Lets agree to disagree. Once the movie comes out one of us can yell "I told you so" :smallwink:.

Raistlin1040
2012-01-28, 07:14 PM
You're right. You know, I really hated Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Who cares if those human scientists were unethical, or the police were violent and dangerous? They're still human. Those damn, dirty apes should have been rounded up and shot for infecting the human race with their disease.

Lord Seth
2012-01-28, 07:33 PM
I think it's funny that for all the hate it seems to be getting, I haven't seen anyone who actually read the book hating on it.

Whiffet
2012-01-28, 10:49 PM
I suppose it could be good, but... I really doubt it. Forget the plot for now; constant voiceover to show the zombie's thoughts? That alone turns me off. Again, it could be done well, but it often ends as telling instead of showing. That's bad enough in a book, but in a movie? Ugh.

Once we think about the plot, that's just horrible. Yes, let's have a zombie eat a guy, hold the guy's girlfriend in his lair, and have them fall in love! That's not romantic. That's more like a horror story. The zombie getting the memories of the people he eats is an interesting concept, I guess, but not like this. Please not like this!

If anyone has actually read the book, please comment and enlighten us.

"Who are the REAL flesh eating zombies here?...Oh right the flesh eating zombies"

Hee. :smallbiggrin:

H Birchgrove
2012-01-28, 11:59 PM
To what extent do you trust her judgment? Because I'm seeing a lot of negative reaction to it by people who've never read it, and it seems like it got a fair amount of praise from people who did read it. Though I'm not sure I'd be a good judge as it doesn't seem the kind of thing I'd be into even if it was good.
Well... I'm not a fan of undead romance, period, and I don't want to become a fan. The only way I'm gonna see it is if 1) a future girlfriend offers intimacy in return for watching it with her or 2) I'm held at gunpoint.

Maybe her opinion shows that those who enjoyed the Twilight series will enjoy this too.

Then again, I'm a fan of The Vampire Diaries TV series, and I really liked the Vampire Academy book series...so clearly supernatural romance isn't an automatic turnoff for me.

Vampires do at least talk and think, and in some cases look pretty good, at least as far back as Dracula by Bram Stoker and The Vampyre by John William Polidori.

Friv
2012-01-29, 12:27 AM
The Zombies where nothing more then Robots with human hats. Showing a bunch of human dickery (Why not show the zombies remorselessly devour the children and babies in the complex?) doesn't change that.

This is actually why I'm a little interested in the idea of Warm Bodies. Zombies aren't people, they aren't sentient. Hating a zombie for killing someone is not unlike trying to get revenge on a forest fire.

But if the zombie then starts to develop the feelings of the person that it killed, you have a situation where an object is starting to become a person. That does raise all sorts of weird questions.

If someone I loved was killed by a forest fire, and then the forest fire started to fall in love with me (!), and started to demonstrate the personality traits of the person who died... man, that would be weird. Is my dead love inside that forest fire? Can I save them?

I mean, chances are that the book/movie addresses none of that, but it could. I will reserve mockery until I know whether it does.

The Durvin
2012-01-29, 12:30 AM
Is this from Asylum Films? Is this their equivalent of Twilight? Because that's what it looks like.

There's no question on this movie as to whether it will be good or not; it will not be good. The question is whether it will be so bad it's good, or so bad it's horrible. I'm expecting the latter.

kpenguin
2012-01-29, 12:58 AM
This is actually why I'm a little interested in the idea of Warm Bodies. Zombies aren't people, they aren't sentient. Hating a zombie for killing someone is not unlike trying to get revenge on a forest fire.

But if the zombie then starts to develop the feelings of the person that it killed, you have a situation where an object is starting to become a person. That does raise all sorts of weird questions.

If someone I loved was killed by a forest fire, and then the forest fire started to fall in love with me (!), and started to demonstrate the personality traits of the person who died... man, that would be weird. Is my dead love inside that forest fire? Can I save them?

I mean, chances are that the book/movie addresses none of that, but it could. I will reserve mockery until I know whether it does.

Actually, from what I hear, this is exactly the sort of thing the book tackles.

The Succubus
2012-01-29, 05:08 AM
Actually, from what I hear, this is exactly the sort of thing the book tackles.

Sort of a burning desire, style of thing?

Serpentine
2012-01-29, 07:40 AM
I'm starting to get an I Am Legend vibe, now...

Mewtarthio
2012-01-29, 11:12 AM
You're right. You know, I really hated Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Who cares if those human scientists were unethical, or the police were violent and dangerous? They're still human. Those damn, dirty apes should have been rounded up and shot for infecting the human race with their disease.

Not really equivalent. The apes didn't release the plague; that was the result of shoddy safety during a medical trial.

NinjaStylerobot
2012-01-29, 12:16 PM

Im not sure if that was sarcasm but my problem is not that you have to have everything neutral.

Some movies need impactfull and "Vile" villains for most enjoyment.

But if want to kill/ judge an ENTIRE RACE based off of 3-5 *******s it becomes cheep.

For example what if the humans where all perfectly nice people in ROTPOTA?

Then it becomes horrific and you hate the monkeys. But since they wanted you to cheer the death of the human race they made then all meenie heads.

Serpentine
2012-01-29, 12:29 PM
They didn't do either... Some of the people were jerks, many - maybe even most - were at least decent. The movie was about tragedy, freedom and how we treat other beings. It wasn't about "humans are jerks, kill them all, yay!", or about "the nasty apes killed the nice humans, murderise them all!"

Haven't seen that zombie movie, so no comment.

Axolotl
2012-01-29, 12:32 PM
But since they wanted you to cheer the death of the human race they made then all meenie heads."Beware the beast Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him; drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death. "

It's faily well established in the first Planet of the Apes that humanity is irredeemably evil, hell that's pretty much the whole point of the first film. Granted Rise somewhat undermines it but it's still there.

Serpentine
2012-01-29, 12:34 PM
Rise is actually a whole new reboot and doesn't have to keep adhering to that idea, but it's unavoidable that the original should echo in it nonetheless (hell, they even went out of their way to ensure it).

NinjaStylerobot
2012-01-29, 12:36 PM
It's faily well established in the first Planet of the Apes that humanity is irredeemably evil, hell that's pretty much the whole point of the first film. Granted Rise somewhat undermines it but it's still there.

If you REALY thought about it all our greed and murder lust stems not from our minds, but from our primal instincts. Its our intelligence that we use to prevent ourselves fro falling into savagery.

For example: Greed is because as primates our natural instinct was "eat as much as you can until its taken away from you" in order to survive. Now that that is a non issue this instinct harms our society.

Serpentine
2012-01-29, 12:39 PM
Soooooooo um... Isn't that what the original point was? That it's just zombies doing what zombies do?

NinjaStylerobot
2012-01-29, 12:46 PM
Soooooooo um... Isn't that what the original point was? That it's just zombies doing what zombies do?

Point of what? In the sense that "Its OK that he killed her boyfriend".

No, Zombies are not animals, they DONT need that to survive. Its their addiction.

Its like if a serial killer killed your brother because it gave him a hard on, then proceeded to fall in love with you. :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2012-01-29, 12:52 PM
Which zombies? There's nearly as many different types of zombies as there are different vampire mythos. Why do you get to decide what zombies are or are not? On what basis do you make that claim? If we're gonna talk about "real" zombies, then they're not undead cannibals at all, just drugged, brainwashed slaves.

Mewtarthio
2012-01-29, 03:21 PM
For example what if the humans where all perfectly nice people in ROTPOTA?

Then it becomes horrific and you hate the monkeys. But since they wanted you to cheer the death of the human race they made then all meenie heads.

Did you see the movie? That's not how it happened. The extinction of humanity cannot be traced to anything the apes did. The retrovirus that makes the apes smart turns out to be highly infectious and lethal in humans, but there's nothing to imply that it spreads from apes to humans. Patient Zero is the guy who was accidentally exposed in a lab test gone awry. From what we see in the film, the apes to not inadvertently infect anyone with the pandemic, and they certainly don't try to wipe out humans.

In short, the comparison is irrelevant. Apes don't want to wipe out humans. Zombies do want to wipe out humans and are, in fact, incapable of wanting to do anything else.

NinjaStylerobot
2012-01-29, 04:12 PM
In short, the comparison is irrelevant. Apes don't want to wipe out humans. Zombies do want to wipe out humans and are, in fact, incapable of wanting to do anything else.

To be honest yes, why did It even get to this?

I was raging more on LOFD really, but Rise of the Drapes made me kinda mad with its story as well.

Which zombies? There's nearly as many different types of zombies as there are different vampire mythos. Why do you get to decide what zombies are or are not? On what basis do you make that claim? If we're gonna talk about "real" zombies, then they're not undead cannibals at all, just drugged, brainwashed slaves.

1: Its their base fact. Zombies are somebody that has DIED. ZILCH. They would no longer need flesh at ALL. Then they reanimate. This would be simply not zombies otherwise. Mutants, Vampires (Vodoo zombies?) ect. Maybe. But the WALKING DEAD zombies (Which the undead here they are.)? No.

2: Thats the MOVIES mythology. Its zombies are essentially drug addict serial killers.

They get as much sympathy from me as drug addict serial killers do. AKA - none.

Serpentine
2012-01-29, 07:17 PM
1: Its their base fact. Zombies are somebody that has DIED. ZILCH.You are, quite simply, wrong (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OurZombiesAreDifferent).

2: Thats the MOVIES mythology.Which movie? You keep switching from one zombie movie to another. Pick one, and stick with it.

Whiffet
2012-01-29, 08:06 PM
According to Wikipedia, zombies in the Warm Bodies book eat people because it makes them high.

Lord Seth
2012-01-29, 08:45 PM
Actually, from what I hear, this is exactly the sort of thing the book tackles.The tricky question is how that could translate to a movie. It's a lot easier to do an "inner conflict" story in a book, because you don't need to think of a way to show the point of view of the protagonist, because you have that from the start. A live-action medium is harder, though, because you don't have that direct line inherently. The solution it seems the movie is going for is voice overs, but unless there's some in-universe reason for it (for example, in "A Christmas Story" the narrator is the protagonist as an adult commenting on the story) it's tough to do that without it coming across as really cheesy.
It's faily well established in the first Planet of the Apes that humanity is irredeemably evil, hell that's pretty much the whole point of the first film.How? I didn't see that in the movie. Certainly not the "whole point" of it at any rate.

Pokonic
2012-01-29, 10:01 PM
According to Wikipedia, zombies in the Warm Bodies book eat people because it makes them high.

Oh, so thats why there slow and can barly speak.:smallbiggrin:

bluewind95
2012-01-29, 10:27 PM
I've been looking more into this book. It has, in Amazon, an average score of 4.5 out of 5 stars, from 94 people who read it. In this site called goodreads.com, it's got 4.03 stars... and that's from 2,449 ratings.

In one of the book reviews, the writer says "this isn't Twilight with zombies". This is encouraging.

Regarding the horrific thing of the killer falling in love with the victim's girlfriend... yeah, I agree this is pretty horrific. However, from what I gather in the book reviews I've read, this seems to be written like the forest fire analogy, or perhaps the "this is a predator" line. This, again, seems kind of encouraging.

... I'm starting to get tempted by the idea of reading this.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-01-29, 10:40 PM
NinjaStylerobot, I think you need to stop considering the Zombie's as conscious beings making a choice to eat such-and-such. I don't think that zombies, regardless of type, have the ability to make conscious choices. They have no more choice to go after the fuzzy-making brain-things, then a wolf has to go after deer, a jellyfish after small fish, or a moose to get drunk and get stuck in an apple tree going after fermented apples.

bluewind95
2012-01-29, 10:45 PM
NinjaStylerobot, I think you need to stop considering the Zombie's as conscious beings making a choice to eat such-and-such. I don't think that zombies, regardless of type, have the ability to make conscious choices. They have no more choice to go after the fuzzy-making brain-things, then a wolf has to go after deer, a jellyfish after small fish, or a moose to get drunk and get stuck in an apple tree going after fermented apples.

From what I raed in the book reviews and whatnot... this is indeed the case with the zombies in this book.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-29, 11:26 PM
From what I raed in the book reviews and whatnot... this is indeed the case with the zombies in this book.
Which makes them even more a case of "But <X Fictitious Monster/> does not work that way!" than The Book of In-Between Darkness
Why even call them zombies?:smallconfused:

Weezer
2012-01-30, 12:02 AM
Which makes them even more a case of "But <X Fictitious Monster/> does not work that way!" than The Book of In-Between Darkness
Why even call them zombies?:smallconfused:

That's kind of what I'm thinking, zombie implies lack of volition in the same way that vampire implies a need for blood. While zombie mythos varies greatly on cause, exact consequences and attributes, varying from voodoo zombies that are living people with no volition to magically raised corpses to the modern infection zombie, the one defining feature is the lack of will and thought.

Lord Seth
2012-01-30, 12:45 AM
While zombie mythos varies greatly on cause, exact consequences and attributes, varying from voodoo zombies that are living people with no volition to magically raised corpses to the modern infection zombie, the one defining feature is the lack of will and thought.Actually, a number of cards in Magic: the Gathering that are classified as zombies are either implied or flat-out demonstrated to be capable of thought, e.g. Dralnu, Geth, or Phage. Okay, Phage only got the zombie creature type through errata, but still.

Zaydos
2012-01-30, 12:57 AM
That's kind of what I'm thinking, zombie implies lack of volition in the same way that vampire implies a need for blood. While zombie mythos varies greatly on cause, exact consequences and attributes, varying from voodoo zombies that are living people with no volition to magically raised corpses to the modern infection zombie, the one defining feature is the lack of will and thought.

Romero's movies show them developing rudimentary thought (even in Dawn of the Dead they attack the mall because of vague memories), infection zombies tend to be capable of rudimentary thought. H.P. Lovecraft's "The Reanimator" story, one of the first real zombie works has intelligent zombies. Ghouls have always been capable of some thought even after we started calling them zombies and lobotomized them. One could say that much of the horror of zombies would be lost if they were completely mindless; it's the vestiges of their humanity, lowered to an almost animal level (okay usually actually quite below animal, but what gets called animal level) intelligence which is the most terrifying. Oh and stuff like Humans versus Zombies which to my experience requires the zombies to actually be smarter than the humans.

Actually, a number of cards in Magic: the Gathering that are classified as zombies are either implied or flat-out demonstrated to be capable of thought, e.g. Dralnu, Geth, or Phage. Okay, Phage only got the zombie creature type through errata, but still.

I would say Magic is not a strong example as they classify liches as zombies and I know Dralnu is a lich, and I think Geth is (Phage isn't though, nor is Glissa).

NinjaStylerobot
2012-01-30, 01:28 AM
Im not saying ALL zombie are the same but from a pure biological standpoint-

If you died, and stood up (Lets say your stomach has rotted away)- your likely powered by something else other then flesh.

in this situation the zombies eat brains because it spices up their dull lives.

This is a core tennant of Zombie mythology- unlife.

Its like a vampire drinking blood and hating sunlight. Everything around it can be changed, but the core needs to be the same.

So I think my analogy of a drug addict serial killers works.

And even If they had no will in the process, WHO CARES!

"Oh my god I feel so bad for the near mindless creature that just exists to kill"

Axolotl
2012-01-30, 05:09 AM
How? I didn't see that in the movie. Certainly not the "whole point" of it at any rate.I don't want to drag the thread of topic so I'll just summarise. The opening narration is largely exposition but ends with Taylor wondering if man still wages war, most of the interation between him and the apes is about this with the ones on his side being shocked by his brutal mathods. Dr. Zaius' whole motivation is to hide the destructive power of humanity from the apes. And then there's the iconic final shot which pretty much confirms everything Zaius said.

NinjaStylerobot
2012-01-30, 05:42 AM
I don't want to drag the thread of topic so I'll just summarise. The opening narration is largely exposition but ends with Taylor wondering if man still wages war, most of the interation between him and the apes is about this with the ones on his side being shocked by his brutal mathods. Dr. Zaius' whole motivation is to hide the destructive power of humanity from the apes. And then there's the iconic final shot which pretty much confirms everything Zaius said.

Funny thing is that= Monkeys have wars too.

We inherited that from apes.:smallbiggrin:

Any animal, if it was smart enough would organize itself to go to war.

Comet
2012-01-30, 06:02 AM
The book actually looks decent enough. Seems to be more to it than fulfilling the author's private fantasies on paper. The movie, though? Check out this blurb from wikipedia, which I'm sure most of you are aware of:

The studio behind The Twilight Saga, Summit Entertainment, is backing the film. Bruna Papanadrea, David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman are producing, with Laurie Webb and Cori Shepherd Stern executive producing the project. The zombies donít really talk in the film, so extensive voice-over will be used to express their thoughts. Director Levine sought to expand the zombie mythology by making the zombies better looking than in other films.

Yeah. There's literally nothing there that would convince me the film studio has any interest in this thing beside tapping into the Twilight audience with a new monster. And that's terrible.

Serpentine
2012-01-30, 10:34 AM
This is a core tennant of Zombie mythology- unlife.As I pointed out just a few posts ago, you are flat-out wrong in this claim. Undeath is one of a good, say, half a dozen types of zombies, and is in fact one of the things that is quite clearly not a "core tennant".

bluewind95
2012-01-30, 10:53 AM
The zombie condition is, I think, largely represented by something symbollic. You don't need to be dead. Or mindless. What the zombie condition represents, I think, is the humanity rotting away from you. In some zombies, the "symptom" of this rotting-away humanity is the flesh rotting away. In some, it's their will taken away, turning them mindless. Or it can be a combination of factors, really. The thing about zombies is that, no matter what they're like, they tend to be an unnatural mockery of humanity. Hordes of people walking like automatons (whether or not they are mindless), seeking out something (likely someone's brains) as they rot, not caring what they trample in the process. A mockery of life. Watch a busy city. Think about it in slow motion. People walking almost like automatons (and they're not mindless!) seeking out whatever goal they're traveling to (not brains, though, most of the time) as they are slowly aging and edging closer to their deaths, many times almost unaware of what's around them because they're so busy with their own lives. The zombie mythos, from what I have seen, becomes a mocking shadow of life. I think this is what's really at the core of the mythos: a curse (be it an actual curse or something else) that turns a once-living person into a mockery of life that simply... exists... and doesn't truly live.

Ursus the Grim
2012-01-30, 11:13 AM
Now, because this is a proper zombie and not some vampire, can the necrophilia jokes be more suitable to shouting in the movie theatre? Would the audience be more receptive to it.

"You know she likes a real stiff."
"He ate her boyfriend. She wants to be next."
"He prefers a girl with brains."
etc.

Draconi Redfir
2012-01-30, 11:14 AM
i've never really been a fan of the whole "zombies only eat brains" thing. I think thats one reason why i preffer fast/still living zombies, they eat the whole body (should they decide to actually eat instead of just infect) rather then just the brain.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-30, 11:27 AM
i've never really been a fan of the whole "zombies only eat brains" thing. I think thats one reason why i preffer fast/still living zombies, they eat the whole body (should they decide to actually eat instead of just infect) rather then just the brain.
"Zombies only eat brains"I am fairly sure almost only ever existed in parody and humorous examples. In most they seem perfectly OK with chowing down on whatever humans they could grab. Whether it actually provides nourishment is another question, In some, particularly gross examples they stuff themselves but it doesn't provide any actual sustenance, so it just piles up and festers until their bellies burst.
Personally, for resurrected and undead zombies, I don't like fast zombies. I know it's silly, but my brains rational is if you've been dead for longer than a ten minutes, your brain is mush. If anything survives, it is going to be basic functions only and walking and other complex behaviour are just that, complex. So lurching drunkenly is about all I see a zombie really being able to muster. Not to mention if rot starts setting in and you have gross mechanical decay to the mechanical linkages.

Serpentine
2012-01-30, 11:44 AM
I saw one movie that had them eating brains. Someone managed to ask one of them why, and it was something about it "stopping the pain of undeath".
Anyone know the origin of zombies eating brains?

Surrealistik
2012-01-30, 11:47 AM
Lol seriously? Twilight with zombies? I don't want to live in this world anymore.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-30, 11:47 AM
I saw one movie that had them eating brains. Someone managed to ask one of them why, and it was something about it "stopping the pain of undeath".
According to TV Tropes, it was this film (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/ReturnOfTheLivingDead?from=Main.ReturnOfTheLivingD ead) and may very well be the movie you are thinking of or perhaps one of its sequels. Notably, it's as much a comedy as a horror film.

Tiki Snakes
2012-01-30, 11:49 AM

It appears to be from 'Return of the Living Dead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Return_of_the_Living_Dead)', which is indeed at least partially a comedy.

Though, it's possible that brain eating zombies existed before the film, it's at least credited with introducing the concept to the general public.

Lord Seth
2012-01-30, 11:49 AM
The opening narration is largely exposition but ends with Taylor wondering if man still wages war, most of the interation between him and the apes is about this with the ones on his side being shocked by his brutal mathods.Like...what? I don't remember any particularly brutal methods from him, though anything he did do was fairly forced upon him due to his situation.

Dr. Zaius' whole motivation is to hide the destructive power of humanity from the apes.But was it really? Admitting such a thing would be a large blow to civilization.

And then there's the iconic final shot which pretty much confirms everything Zaius said.No, at most it suggests some humans were dumb.

Maybe you can claim that an undercurrent to the film is that humans aren't great, but to stretch it to "humanity is irredeemably evil" (quite frankly, the apes don't seem better) or to even claim that's the main point of the film, seem like giant exaggerations.

NinjaStylerobot
2012-01-30, 12:12 PM
Im not saying all zombies have no reason to eat flesh. But in my (Maybe stupid) head most zombies are the walking dead type to me.

If its just a rage zombie I call it a mutant.

If its a vodoo zombie- whatever its a voodoo zombie.

But more importantly, of the walking dead variety they have no reason to eat flesh. Because their stomaches are not working. Thier dead. In "Warm bodieses" case they eat them because their addicts. I have very little symapthy for the undead brain eating type. I have more sympathy for the people being eaten.

Draconi Redfir
2012-01-30, 12:20 PM
"Zombies only eat brains"I am fairly sure almost only ever existed in parody and humorous examples. In most they seem perfectly OK with chowing down on whatever humans they could grab. Whether it actually provides nourishment is another question, In some, particularly gross examples they stuff themselves but it doesn't provide any actual sustenance, so it just piles up and festers until their bellies burst.
Personally, for resurrected and undead zombies, I don't like fast zombies. I know it's silly, but my brains rational is if you've been dead for longer than a ten minutes, your brain is mush. If anything survives, it is going to be basic functions only and walking and other complex behaviour are just that, complex. So lurching drunkenly is about all I see a zombie really being able to muster. Not to mention if rot starts setting in and you have gross mechanical decay to the mechanical linkages.

Yeah, i prefer to catalogue Zombies into two types.

Classic type: Slow, undead, moan, shamble, can only be killed via headshot
And new type: Fast, still alive, scream, garble, make other vocal noises, run, jump, climb, possible to mutate, and can be killed like any normal human can.

Of course there are some (i.e. resident evil, most recent dawn of the dead) that don't follow this, but it's just what i prefer.

Serpentine
2012-01-30, 01:45 PM
Im not saying all zombies have no reason to eat flesh. But in my (Maybe stupid) head most zombies are the walking dead type to me.

If its just a rage zombie I call it a mutant.

If its a vodoo zombie- whatever its a voodoo zombie.That is a very, VERY different statement than:
1: Its their base fact. Zombies are somebody that has DIED. ZILCH.
This is a core tennant of Zombie mythology- unlife.I'll leave aside for now the implications of your views on real-world addicts :smallsmile:

NinjaStylerobot
2012-01-30, 01:50 PM
That is a very, VERY different statement than:

Oh sorry. I didn't mean it this way.

I'll leave aside for now the implications of your views on real-world addicts :smallsmile:

:smallsigh:. I looked stupid didn't I?

I was talking about THESE zombies in specific really. Its against the rules of the board to talk about real life issues. All Im going to say is that my opinions on addicts are kinda more complex and different then my opinions on Zombie brain addicts :smallwink:

The Succubus
2012-01-31, 07:15 AM
Did anyone else just get a mental image of a zombie sneaking down a dark alley before buying a math student's brain from a guy in a dirty overcoat?

No?

Huh.

Pokonic
2012-01-31, 08:20 PM
Did anyone else just get a mental image of a zombie sneaking down a dark alley before buying a math student's brain from a guy in a dirty overcoat?

No?

Huh.

Uhhhhh........Coooccccaaaaiiiiinnneeeee.......urrr rrrrgggggg.

Whiffet
2012-02-01, 01:52 AM

No?

Huh.

Hah! Hahaha! :smallbiggrin:

Okay, why are you so constantly quotable?

The Succubus
2012-02-01, 06:41 AM
Uhhhhh........Coooccccaaaaiiiiinnneeeee.......urrr rrrrgggggg.

"I'm sorry, sir but I cannot recommend that particular substance for you. You need a nasal cavity to use it."