PDA

View Full Version : Postal Service IC (Serpentine's RL Game)

Serpentine
2012-01-25, 01:39 PM
This is the in-character thread for my real-world game, Postal Service.

The Out-Of-Character thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12601856).

Background
This story began on a dark and stormy night with a mysterious stranger.
The mysterious stranger turned out to be a very damp dwarven knight called Kariana Wynda, with an invitation to the home of a wealthy businesswizard, Lord Jerome Suchensutch, owner of Suchensutch Magical Emporiums.
At that point, the party consisted of elf/tiefling Ranger Sar'pynestae, Nuturion the sylvan elf thief-acrobat, Ellywick the gnome illusionist-cleric, watserface the dragon-slayer, and Grace's Druid whose name I forget.
On the way to the lowland city, Port Ahlue, where Suchensutch lives, we lost Sar'pynestae to family duties, and welcomed Kariana to the League of Steely Mettle. After a few strange encounters with a mysterious mechanical being, we arrived at the place of our summons.
Lord Suchensutch had a job proposal: deliver several sealed envelopes to various difficult-to-reach persons spread across the continent. He offered generous terms, including lots of money and a hefty discount at his stores, and Nuturion - ever suspicious - wrangled them to his own satisfaction. Then we signed the contract, and we were off.

The League went by ship to one of the biggest cities of the Goblin Isles, where the first letter was delivered to an unassuming gnome Cleric - protector of Garl Glittergold's own artifact (that Ellywick stole? I forget whether her pick's the same thing we saw there...).

We continued on our quest, still by ship. We stopped for supplies at an island and brought down a vorpal boar, but sadly not before a crew member was slain. We later, through impressive ingenuity, helped a friend of the late elf to fake his own death in order to report the death to his family.

Unbeknownst to us, the captain of the ship was taking us off course, with the intent of ransoming us or selling us into slavery in the Pirate Islands. It was not in his plans, however, that we be pushed even further off-course by a kraken, a tidal wave and bizarre weather, right into the depths of the Wild Magic Zone.
No ship stands a chance in the bizarre maelstrom of the Wild Magic Zone, and we were quickly shipwrecked. We found ourselves on a strange and jungly shore - sans one dragon slayer who, overcome by some madness, had fled deep into the forest.

Various adventures were had in this strange new land as we strived to find our way home and complete our delivery quest. We sought out oracles, brought down sinister snake-cults, freed a reptilian tribe from its draconic overlord (whether they wanted to be liberated or not), saved thousands of lives by destroying a vermin lord, solved a murder mystery, freed a land from its fuzzy marauders, took down a minotaur immigrant, solved a Trickster's puzzles... Then there's all that stuff with a certain rakshasa.

Old friends were lost, new friends were found. We even have a parrot following us around, now. Of the original League of Steely Mettle, only Kariana and Ellywick now remain. But along the way, we've picked up a sacred swordmaster, a red-hot druid, an unsavory-looking wielder of magicka, and a rather unsociable lizard.
We have acquired a map and basically a guide-book to the Underdark route which will be our way home - or, for many, to exotic new lands. We've made our way into the darkness, and despite dark elves, screeching bugs and a whooooole lotta beholders, we're almost through to the other side. We just have to make our way around this incredibly creepy-looking underground city...

So here we are.

You all stand admiring the view of the strange, twisted city, with its glowing stone glowering from above, when you hear an alien voice in your head.
"It is quite spectacular, isn't it."
When (if?) you turn around, you come face to... tentacles with a horrific being. It resembles a heavily robed human below the neck, but above the neck is more like an octopus, with large piercing eyes gazing at you from above the powerful-looking, twisting tentacles that appear to make up its mouth. Its face twists and contorts in a disturbing way - the more perceptive amongst you may realise that it is attempting to smile reassuringly.

Let's do this thing!
...no, wait

Serpentine
2012-01-28, 10:13 PM
So, you turn around and there's a mindflayer behind you. What do you do?

Skrit Cazador
2012-01-29, 08:05 AM
Am I 100% sure that it's seen me?

Serpentine
2012-01-29, 08:56 AM
Have you been pretending to be a tree for the last 5 minutes?

IeleniyaForInti
2012-01-29, 10:48 AM
I pray to Inti to give me the strength and wisdom to deal with this situation, hand casually rested on my blade, ready to draw if need be.

Skrit Cazador
2012-02-23, 07:47 AM
In this situation Skrit would be doing the best scaly rock impersonation he's ever attempted. Skrit is fond of his mind being shaken, not flayed.

Serpentine
2012-02-23, 10:05 AM
Ha!

The mind-flayer sort of stands awkwardly, as though it doesn't know what it should say next.
<<Um...>>

I've updated the OOC thread a bit. Everyone should make sure you've subscribed to both threads.

OrendaTama
2012-02-27, 05:42 PM
I keep my distance but address the creature

"What is this place, and what are your intentions?"

Serpentine
2012-02-27, 06:02 PM
The tentacled beast jumps slightly, its hands flinching up as though it expected your words to be the beginning of a spell rather than direct questions. Kariana steps swiftly forward, shield raised and axe ready to defend you all.
<<Ah, well, this place is... You mean that place, don't you, the city. I am maintaining my presence external of your mind, by the way, she informed me that is expected good behaviour. Psychically, I mean. And physically. Uh... My apologies, I am not accustomed to communicating with livesto- people, I mean.
<<Anyway! That place is called Xlythfllthl. It is the city of my kin. And myself.
My intentions... Uh... I was hoping for assistance, in fact.>>
It pauses, and seems to remember something. It straightens up and points a finger at you imperiously.
<<You will aid me in my noble quest, livestock!>>

Skrit Cazador
2012-02-29, 09:56 AM
I like it's attitude. How warm blooded does it look?

Serpentine
2012-02-29, 10:27 AM
Good question... It looks like this:
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs48/f/2009/190/7/b/Illithid_practice_1_by_fuuryoku.jpgSo you tell me.

OrendaTama
2012-03-14, 08:56 PM
"I am not agreeing to anything, and I resent being referenced as 'Livestock' I want to know full terms and conditions before I even consider agreeing to anything"

Serpentine
2012-03-15, 07:44 AM
"Business?" The creature pauses. "I did not know Heroes did business. Well... I want to be an hero. What do you want in exchange for teaching me?"
It looks incredibly uncomfortable having this discussion.

Yay! :smallbiggrin: What do I need to do to get this thing going?

Skrit Cazador
2012-03-15, 08:27 PM
If it really wants to be a hero, I will judge its heart by the amount of mammals it intends to slaughter to further its heroic and noble goals :)

Serpentine
2012-03-15, 08:50 PM
I think what we have here is a clash of worldviews... :smalltongue:
Does this attitude manifest itself externally?

Skrit Cazador
2012-03-17, 10:46 AM
Only through muttered CHA 8 comments appropriate to my characters general reluctance to expose himself to danger without having a clear upper hand :smallcool:

I say that a hero is created by the actions of a villain, and ask about the foe I assume the mindflayer is motivated to fight

Serpentine
2012-03-22, 05:31 AM
It looks puzzled, and then closes its eyes for several moments. If you look carefully, you can see its alien eyes moving under its lids, as though it's skimming a book or watching a movie. It eventually opens them again, and looks slightly worried.
"I do not have anything about an Hero requiring a foe. I do not have one. Are they essential? Do you know of any villains lacking an Hero?"

Skrit Cazador
2012-03-24, 08:56 PM
I defer the lead to the rest of my party

My skepticism levels are through the roof and I have no wish to draw further attention to my tasty tasty brain.

EDIT: Post in OC section

OrendaTama
2012-03-25, 10:14 PM
"I do not know of hero requiring a villian... I think, from the stories of my family, I remember that all heroes had a noble cause more than a villian. Sometimes these noble causes were to rescue someone from a villian; but there are also tales of finding a heal all herb to save a child from an illness or that of the like..."

Serpentine
2012-03-30, 05:50 PM
The creature seems to be floundering slightly.
<<A... a cause? I- I don't... She fought for Goodness and Justice and Helping Little People and Not Consuming The Brains Of Innocents. Is that what you mean?>>

IeleniyaForInti
2012-03-30, 11:29 PM
"Not eating brains is a good start for becomming a hero!" Ieleniya says, trying to smile confidantly.

Serpentine
2012-04-01, 09:43 PM
The creature looks concerned. <<But I have to eat SOME brains!>>

Kariana looks to the silent Ellywick and Cinderspawn. "Uh... What is going on here? What is this thing?", she asks softly.
Knowledge checks, should anyone care to make them.

Skrit Cazador
2012-04-03, 05:19 AM
[roll0]

I CHOOSE YOU, KNOWLEDGE NATURE!:smallcool:

Serpentine
2012-04-03, 08:26 AM
Skrit: This thing ain't natural! :smalltongue: Most of it looks like a normal mammalian humanoid, probably human, but with a strange palor. The head, however, is something entirely different, and completely alien to you. You may suspect such a creature has no place in the natural world.

Skrit Cazador
2012-04-03, 09:43 AM
"Most of it looks like a normal mammalian humanoid, probably human"
(I knew I was right to be skeptical :smallmad: )

Serpentine
2012-04-03, 10:31 AM
The rest of it's definitely not any of that, though :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2012-04-22, 08:07 AM
Kariana pokes Ellywick again.
"Quit giggling. We need to do something here."

Knowledge (nobility) (It's all she's got, okay?): [roll0]

OrendaTama
2012-04-22, 07:31 PM
Oranda feels slightly uncomfortable.

"Well I guess, maybe you can be a hero that eats villian brains maybe" barely convincing herself. She looks over at everyone else, "Maybe you can help us through this cavern, we are looking for the way to get to the other side"

Skrit Cazador
2012-04-27, 01:25 AM
*As a precaution Skrit applies a poison to his scalp that is toxic by ingestion only* (My OC knowledge says something that is activated by the digestion process - skrit would just think of it as "deathfood"

Serpentine
2012-04-28, 09:23 AM
<<Oh, that is easy enough. You just follow this cavern that way for the duration of time surfacers call a "week". Go north a bit at first and turn east when you come to the cavern - if you do not stay close to the wall, one of my kind will discover you. Then you keep going east, through the Forest of Stone - but if you do not desire to be consumed by my kind or by another, you must go south there. Follow the tunnels to the Rift of Echoes where you cross the bridges, and then can find your path to the surface from there without difficulty. It is the surface which is your goal, yes?>>
The voice in your head takes on a hopeful tone.
<<I am being helpful, and not eating or enslaving you. That makes me an Hero, yes?>>

OrendaTama
2012-04-30, 07:40 PM
"You are well on your way, being a hero is a life long search, but keep this up and you will one day be a hero. If you do not mind me asking, how long have you had this drive to do good?"

Serpentine
2012-04-30, 08:14 PM
It stands straight and proud.
<<I began... yesterday!>>

NoDice1.3
2012-05-06, 07:50 PM
Cinderspwn being uncaracteristically silent for this entire exchange sideles up to Elliwik and wispers.

"So, were going with the we're 'Heros' story with this guy?"

Skrit Cazador
2012-05-07, 02:04 AM
Skrit's okay with it as long as he stays away from OUR brains. After all, Skrit needs blood for... reasons.

Serpentine
2012-05-09, 09:36 PM
Kariana touches her forehead politely and starts backing away down the cave, shield and axe still at the ready.
"Well, thank you for the directions. And uh... Good luck with your quest to become a hero. Really. It's great. I hope you make it. But we uh... we have our own quest to complete... this way. Goodbye!"

OrendaTama
2012-05-20, 11:59 PM
Orenda also backs away, with summon natures ally 4 ready if the new hero has a change in heart (and hunger)

"Thank you so much for your help today, friend, as long as you keep this way, you might even make a name for yourself that we will hear about"

NoDice1.3
2012-05-23, 09:12 PM
Cinderspawn walks up to him and gives him a hat.
"Not sure what's going on but good luck with it." Says Cinderspawn brightly giving him a slightly bemused smile.

Serpentine
2012-05-25, 09:42 AM
<<Oh... Okay... Well, I'll remember what you told me, and->> Its eyes widen at Cinderspawn. <<A Heroic Hat! Thank you! I shall remember all your words! A safe journey to you!>>
The thing gazes after you as you beat a hasty retreat down the cave.
Out of curiosity, which hat did you give him? I've changed the directions he gave at the end of the last page, by the way.

Assuming you follow your map and your directions, you follow the cave for a day until your path goes out into the open cavern. Those with good vision and darkvision will see a group of squid-thingies off in the distance when you cross a shallow stream, but unless you pursue them or draw their attention they don't notice you. You more or less follow the water upstream for a while, your path meandering back and forth across it every now and then - it seems your cave is an older streambed, if anyone cares to examine the stone.
After almost a week of nothing but wet rock and darkness, you finally reach another cavern. The floor is covered in loose gravel and broken shards of rock, and huge, straight columns of stone tower above you, although some lie broken. You can see the path you need to follow in a track slightly less covered in gravel.

Knowledge (nature or dungeoneering) checks.
Spot checks.

This is all assuming you just follow the path directly. If you decide to take a detour anywhere, just say so and we'll rewind to that point.

I'd really appreciate it if we could all get in a post at least every 2 days (preferably at least every day), no matter what it is. Alternatively, if you don't want to run this this way, that's totally fine. I'll put it on hiatus or give you an epilogue. I'd prefer the first option, though...

OrendaTama
2012-06-13, 01:19 AM
: 32 for spot check

I am keen to follow his instruction and keen for him not to be around. I don't think he had any malice and he gave me no reason to attack.

Serpentine
2012-06-14, 01:56 PM
For Orenda's spot check:
You do have darkvision, don't you? Anyways:
The columns around you have lines and patterns on them resembling nothing else so much as trees. Looking up, you can even see things jutting out far high above like branches.
Fluttering about up there are scores of small creatures. When you manage to spot one relatively close-up, you see it is sort of like a bat, and sort of like a woodpecker, for a sort of overall dragonish impression. They have a hardened beak or horn on their face with which hammer into the stone columns with less effort than you would have expected.
Everyone:
Gravel crunches under your feet as you walk through the columned cavern. Hammering noises, like nails being driven into wood, echo far over your heads, where darting shadows flit about.

Skrit Cazador
2012-06-16, 02:08 AM
[roll0] dungeoneering
[roll1] nature
*Skrit is cautious and activates barkskin*

Serpentine
2012-06-27, 11:25 PM
Skrit's knowledge checks:These pillars don't just resemble trees... They ARE trees! You don't recognise the species, but you appear to be walking through an entire petrified forest.