PDA

View Full Version : Black Market Drugs (3.5)

Jallorn
2012-01-26, 04:53 PM
These are drugs that can be found in my homebrew campaign world, Ferar. I'm trying to balance these so that they'll be applicable for a campaign between the levels 3 and 8, and I'd love some help with prices as that's always the hardest part for me. Not much else to say other than PEACH.

~~~

Gods' Nectar

Better known by it's street name, Clarity, Gods' Nectar is distilled from the nectar of the Drasili, the holy tree of the goddess Alirak. As a result, despite being one of the least dangerous drugs available, both to the user and others, Gods' Nectar is illegal in all civilized areas, and all of the organized religions consider it's manufacture and use to be blasphemous.

A single dose is about a mouthful, and it begins acting immediately upon ingestion. For one hour, Gods' Nectar grants heightened awareness and coordination in the form of a +4 bonus to Listen, Spot, and Sense Motive, and a +2 bonus to Dex. If more than one dose is taken at once, or if additional doses are taken before a previous dose has worn off, the user must make a Fort save, DC 15+the number of doses taken. If successful, each additional dose adds and additional +1 to each bonus, and extends the duration by half an hour.

Gods' Nectar is nonaddictive, but it does have some side effects after it has worn off. For two hours, plus an additional hour for each extra dose, the user takes a penalty to Concentration and any skill checks that take more than a single round to complete equal to twice the number of doses taken. Additionally, if the Fort save is failed, the user immediately suffers hangover symptoms, which last three times as long.

Base price: 100 GP per dose.

~~~

Devil Leaf

A favorite of bandits, the Devil Leaf was initially formulated by the Orcs. Devil Leaf is created by soaking leaves from the desert dwelling Razorvine plant in blood from the jungle dwelling Lyxa. The leaves are often shredded before being consumed, but not always. The Devil Leaf is completely illegal in human lands, and heavily restricted by the Orcish Empire. It is similarly restricted in Arzathon, though not nearly as strictly; it is considered by most hobgoblins to be a valuable tool in their war with the Orcs.

When consumed, Devil Leaf grants a +2 bonus to Str and Con, and a -2 penalty to Spot and Listen. Additionally, the user cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats. Devil Leaf lasts a number of rounds equal to the user's boosted Con score.

Every additional does increases the Str and Con bonuses by 1, as well as increase the Spot and Listen penalties by 2. Additional doses also trigger a Will save, DC 15+the number of doses. Failure causes the user to go into a berserk rage, incapable of telling friend from foe. He attacks the nearest living creature until the drug wears off.

At the end of the duration, the user becomes fatigued, and takes xd4 nonlethal damage, where x is equal to the number of doses ingested. The user also makes a Fort save, and for each 1 above 15 he rolls, he removes one die of damage.

Base cost: 175 GP

Grinner
2012-01-26, 07:45 PM
Most sourcebooks aren't consistent about drug pricing. For God's Nectar, I'd assign a base price of ~100 gp and then modify it according to availability.

Hanuman
2012-01-26, 11:53 PM
What would be handy is less extreme drugs, something like you may add a +1 moral bonus to a single roll every hour when under the effects of the drug (8 hour duration), but if you go for more than 24 hours without the drug you suffer a -1 moral penalty to the first roll you make every hour.
Drug cost could be about 1CP per application as most drugs are the equivalent of heroine or cocaine (BoVD) where as there's very few over the counter drugs apart from alcohol.

Xyk
2012-01-27, 12:01 AM
If I was a rogue in your world, I would be guzzling God's Nectar right before doing anything important. That is a significant dex bonus for what amounts to an avoidable consequence. I guess the penalty would affect hide and move silently checks, but most rogue skills would be unaffected.