PDA

View Full Version : Your Coolest Scar/injury

Riverdance
2012-01-26, 06:40 PM
Not for the squeamish. What's the funniest, coolest, or awesomest scar and/or injury story you have? Please keep it forum appropriate, skirt around really gory stuff.

Mods, if this gets out of hand or if you feel it's not an appropriate topic please scrub the thread or do as you see fit.

Here's mine. A couple years ago I was at a pool and we were going into the rec room. I stopped to hold the door for somebody and followed them in. As I stepped in I felt an impact on the back of my heel. I looked back to see that the door had hit my foot with its big heavy metal edge. I had to hobble around the pool. I made sure to test that my achilles tendon was ok before the pain set in (it was) and then they took me to the hospital, where they didn't believe that I had already thought of it and made me do it again. I got 9 stitches, an awesome scar, and a 1 inch square patch of skin below the scar in which I have no sensation. That's what I get for being gallant and holding the door.

Partof1
2012-01-26, 07:31 PM
Well, there's one on the back of my head, that would probably be pretty cool if I ever saw it. When I was young, probably about grade 4 or so, I was snowboarding on the piddly hill in my back yard. Gentle slope, and it was warm, so the snow waseven slower. Anyway, when stopping at the bottom, I clipped a quad track, and flipped over. Smacked myself in the back of the head with the edge of the board, and made a mess of a snowsuit. Worn a helmet ever since.

Starwulf
2012-01-26, 07:40 PM
From a car crash when I was 18, banged my head something fierce on the steering wheel and was wearing sunglasses which broke and made a nice little gash that left a permanent scar right through my right eyebrow ^^

Siosilvar
2012-01-26, 08:51 PM
The only damage I have with a permanent reminder thereof is a scar on my forehead.

I was 6 years old; I think our neighbors next door were having a family reunion or something and I got invited over. After running through the yard at full speed, I was stopped by the pointy hook on the gate at about an inch above eye level. Head wounds bleed a lot.

It's since moved to about two inches above eye level, but that scar is still visible.

ForzaFiori
2012-01-26, 10:23 PM
Three of my favorite scars:

On both knees, the soft part of skin just below my kneecaps are pretty much covered in scar. I've fallen off boats (onto pavement), out of truckbeds, down stairs, and probably a few others I dont remember. I've actually seen what I think was a piece of cartilage.

My right arm has a cut down the inside of it from the wrist about 2/3 of the way to my elbow. I jumped out of a swing when I was in about 4th grade, and a piece of mulch went maybe an inch into my arm and sliced it. School didn't even call my mom after they wrapped it, which freaked her out when I got home.

And finally, I have a 2 in. line on my forehead, above my right eye, but just off center (i think... it's faint unless I'm angry). I was running from my sister when I was 3, tripped, and hit my head on the corner of our brick fireplace. When my mom called 911, they asked how deep the whole was. Mom's answer? "Well, i can put my pinky finger in up to..." and before she could say "the first knuckle", they cut her off and sent an ambulance. 24 stitches and 17 years later, and you can barely see it. Doc managed to stitch it so it'd fade into forehead lines. Amazingly, this is the only time I've ever had stitches, though I had staples after my appendectomy.

Mauve Shirt
2012-01-26, 10:31 PM
Another scar thread! I have an almost perfect circle on the top of my foot from a stone getting lodged in it. And my brain surgery scar. I've posted this picture half a dozen times before, here it is again.
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/h0wupdohighknee/Scar.jpg

Balain
2012-01-26, 10:42 PM
I have a scar that is nearly faded after hmmm 30 years. I was riding my bike when some other guy rides up beside me. Our handle bars got locked together and we went tumbling. It was a messy ball of arms legs and bike parts sticking out in places they shouldn't be.

Just above my left ear I have a spot where no hair grows cause of the scar when I was ringing my friends doorbell and running away. Wasn't looking and end up running into the gate of a metal fence, had 3 stitches only but it was deep apperently. Oh and painful cause the freezing didn't take when the doctor was stiching me up.

Mando Knight
2012-01-26, 10:44 PM
I have a couple-inch-long scar on the arch of my right foot from an indiscretion with a post used to put up a rummage sale sign, some light scar tissue on my chin and right wrist from various incidents with bicycles in my youth, and one in my left eyebrow from when I caught a baseball with my eyeglasses.

Riverdance
2012-01-26, 10:47 PM
Another scar thread!

I was not aware that there have been others before it, but now that I think about it it's hard to imagine that there wouldn't have been. As you can see I'm fairly new.

ForzaFiori
2012-01-26, 11:13 PM
Another scar thread! I have an almost perfect circle on the top of my foot from a stone getting lodged in it. And my brain surgery scar. I've posted this picture half a dozen times before, here it is again.

That's... by far the most intense scar I've seen. I can't imagine what healing from that must have been like.

Dark Elf Bard
2012-01-26, 11:21 PM

But your hair isn't bluey purple! :eek:

Dr.Epic
2012-01-27, 12:14 AM
These:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01129/arts-graphics-2008_1129745a.jpg

:smallwink::smalltongue:

Orzel
2012-01-27, 05:45 AM
heh.

Coolest scar: A white halo scar... IN MY EYE. Retina detachment surgery.

Stupidest Scar: knife scrape on back of should. Via a wannabe Gang member. I live in Brooklyn. My friend was stupid enough to taunt him about his lack of a better weapon as they fought and I stupid tried to break it up. Youth made you dumb.

Feytalist
2012-01-27, 05:55 AM
Lion's claws.

Three neat little lines over my left shoulder. To be fair, it was only a lion cub, but its paws were still bigger than my hand at the time.

Guess there's a reason they say never to lower your head below theirs. Simba got me good, heh.

Mauve Shirt
2012-01-27, 05:58 AM
I was not aware that there have been others before it, but now that I think about it it's hard to imagine that there wouldn't have been. As you can see I'm fairly new.
That's ok! I got to post the picture of the surgery scar again! :smalltongue:

But your hair isn't bluey purple! :eek:
:smallamused:

Cespenar
2012-01-27, 06:00 AM
Lion's claws.

Okay, thread, beat that! :smalltongue:

Castaras
2012-01-27, 06:10 AM
Nothing particularly interesting on my part - I have a scar on my left thumb from when I was little and decided to continue making an airfix kit while sat in bed. One time managed to cycle down my driveway really quickly and crashed into the corner of the house, which ended up with peeling skin and blood and yuck just below my eye. No scars from that accident though.

Stadge
2012-01-27, 06:45 AM
Lion's claws.

Three neat little lines over my left shoulder. To be fair, it was only a lion cub, but its paws were still bigger than my hand at the time.

Guess there's a reason they say never to lower your head below theirs. Simba got me good, heh.

Ouch. I've not had too much to do with lions, but I know how stocky they are even when really tiny, so can definitely see how that happened. Well done on the cool story behind a scar sir :smallsmile:

As for mine, probably the two inch long oval on my shin.

Long story shortish.... (actually not that short)

slipped on a wooden bridge and was saved from falling into the water by my leg hitting a post. Had one of those graze-like cuts, cleaned it up a bit and carried on as normal. About two weeks later, accidentally knocked the scab off one night, it looked a bit weird, and that night when I twigged I could hardly walk, I went to the hospital and got some antibiotics. Finished that course with no real improvement, so went to the doctors, they upped the dosage, still nothing and now there was an actual hole in my leg with layers of necrotic tissue and weird orange liquid and a huge red inflammation from my ankle to my knee. Got sent back to the hospital and had to stay in for 4 nights with antibiotics injected into me 4 times a day, then had to return everyday for two weeks for pretty much the same thing that they pumped from my upper arm though a 47cm tube that went to just outside my heart. After that, back on tablets for another month. Alright now, though a lot of the lower part of my shin is completely numb from the necrotic tissue. Was told afterwards that because of the depth of it, and how close it was to the bone, I was lucky to not lose my lower leg. So morale is either get the antibiotic dosage right or don't slip I guess :)

Traab
2012-01-27, 08:28 AM
I had just recently gotten a swiss army knife as a present, so of course I had to open every part of it "to check it out". I had almost finished closing it back up when the fish scaler (seriously, wtf does it have one of those for? Ive never had to scale a fish in my life, and I do fish from time to time) popped back open, slamming my thumb knuckle first into the big knife blade. It isnt much of a scar but it is visible every time I grip something.

My only other scars look worse than they are. I was in the kitchen holding and petting our new kitten. At that moment my stepfather decided it was time to use the food processor. If you have ever used one you know, those things are LOUD. The cat got scared, slashed its claws into my hands, and took off running. I now have two perfect scars that look as if I tried the correct way to slit my wrists. Thank god they are fairly light, as I really dont need to get the compassionate looks from people who think I tried to commit suicide at some point in the past.

Adlan
2012-01-27, 08:55 AM
Warning, Picture some might consider gory.
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4535/arrowhead013.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/36/arrowhead013.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

1 hour of pretty much solid cutting, no breaks. The oddest thing is how you can feel the knife dull, and the feeling of relief when the scalpel blade is changed. I will not I had this done by a professional in a clean, sanitary environment. Overall, the pain level wasn't any worse than a tattoo. Different, but not what I'd call worse.

I also have a puncture scar on my leg from falling out of a tree onto an old medieval door frame (Tetanus Jabs YAY). I have one on the back of my hand from being ground against the wall in a game of mercy (I won). I had a hot brass scar on my neck for a while, 5.56 casing got caught in my shemagh and burned me. Looks like a hickey if I tan in the sunshine.

Anuan
2012-01-27, 08:58 AM
I've got the cliche 'macho' bicep scar.

From a knife fight.

And by 'knife fight' I mean a piece of wire.

I don't have any other 'cool' injuries that actually rate as 'injuries' since I'm careful about my sword use. Though I was once doing some sparring with my best friend, and he clocked me right above the temple with his bokken. It was surprising, but once the initial shock (and pain. Ow.) was over, I was really proud of him.

Aedilred
2012-01-27, 09:21 AM
I have a jagged scar across my tongue from where I bit through it when I was 13 in a car crash. I was quite lucky not to have bitten it off altogether, in retrospect. People are usually either fascinated or horrified by this.

I don't have many other scars - most of the ones I once did have since faded to the point even I can only barely see them: where some pestilent child bit me on the hand and it got infected; where I stabbed myself in the knee; where I burned myself badly on a breadmaker.

My housemate, who is the clumsiest man in the world, has an awesome collection of scars. I didn't realise quite how many until I was in A&E with him after he'd slashed his hand open on a broken glass last year and he showed me many of them, telling the appropriate stories.

Karoht
2012-01-27, 12:58 PM
If you were to shave my head and look at the back of my head, you would notice two things.
First, the back of my head is completely flat.
Second, you would see jagged scaring from where I split my head open as a kid.
I was 11, at martial arts practice hitting a heavy bag. It wasn't chained to the floor, another student was holding it. Just as I stepped backwards, he shoved it at me, and caught me square in the jaw, completely off balance, and already with momentum in that direction. I went 20 feet back, and banged my head against the concrete wall/floor. I stood up. Touched the back of my head. Looked at my hand and apparently passed out again.

As luck would have it, my grandparents were literally walking into the building at the time. My sensei stuck me in a neck brace, and they put me in the back of my grandfather's van. Drove me to the hospital. About 10 minutes from the hospital, I apparently woke up and was saying strange things and yelling about my head, but I don't remember. I do remember being in the hospital, occasionally waking up with lots of people around me in surgical masks, all telling me not to move my head, and then I would either throw up or pass out again. That was creepy as hell, still produces some nightmares.
Yes, they had to pull pieces of my own skull out of my brain. I had the bits in a jar at home until I moved.

Also on my knee is a wide but well healed scar.
I had a 700 pound fridge shoved on top of me while working at the Sears Warehouse. Yes, this was deliberate, yes that person was fired for being a jerksauce. The impact of the 700 pound fridge broke my tibia and fibula. The xray is awesome to look at though. My bones are at a right angle to one another.
I had to have a 12 inch titanium rod inserted down the bone to hold it together, with two screws at the knee and one at the ankle. The screw marks on the knee are still slightly visable, the one at the ankle didn't heal at all. Yes, I still have the rod of titanium kicking around.
PS-Anyone complaining about hospital service wait times in Alberta is crazy. I was in a room within half an hour, and my surgery booked right away. And I was definately not an emergency case.
Now, they normally hook you up to a morphine pump for pain management. Push button, recieve meds. Well, in an entire week, I used 9mg. The nurses marvelled, the professional athletes they've had in (football players, hockey players) have all used considerably more for less painful injuries. Or at least so they claim.

But the coolest scar of all, is one on the right side of my abdomen. How did I get it? By making an entire crowd of people cheer like crazy, and the whole thing made the evening news.
So I'm part of a Medieval Combat group. And we were called out to the Highland Games that year. Well, Highland Games put on a promo event that year down Olympic Plaza, which is a big open area with colloseum style arches and seating. Which only made what happened next even cooler.

So I show up with no armor and a sword. I'm in fight pants and a muslin shirt, which is a light fabric. Yes, this is perfectly safe for our group. We're professionals.

Well, the fight gets going, we get an awesome exchange of blows, the crowd is just loving it. We're bantering back and forth, people start cheering for both of us. The news camera got right in our faces though, and the fight had gone on for a bit, so we just finished it up. With a very well performed 'death' on my part. I folded over the sword perfectly, the crowd honestly thought I was dead on impact.

Well, unfortunately, the other guy twisted his blade upward. Which was fine, it was a dull sword. His crossguard on the other hand, I guess got a burr or two. Then he drew the blade out. It ripped a pretty deep gouge out of the skin on my abdomen. I walked away feeling fine, until I get away from the crowd and realize that my shirt is torn. I pull up my shirt and yeup, there's the blood.
I probably should have got it stitched, seeing as it was in a location that stretched a lot, as I would discover over the next week, rather painfully and frequently. I kept it clean and bandaged of course but it scarred up something fierce. The scar used to be over 8 inches long, it's since healed up rather well and is only 3 inches long.

blackfox
2012-01-27, 01:42 PM
I don't actually have too many permanent scars, certainly nothing interesting. There's a small forehead scar (can't remember which side, hard to see) from falling onto a stone hearth when I was about 2. There's various hand and finger scars from various kittens and the occasional too-dull knife. There's also a small burn scar on the inside of my right arm from a TOTALLY SOBER baking incident. (The baklava was still delicious, however.)

Stories of my injuries are more interesting.
Broken arm, age 6, jumping for a zip-line, caught it with one hand, momentum twisted me off and I fell on top of my left arm.
Broken tailbone, age 12, skiing, got run into by an out-of-control snowboarder, feet kept going and I fell on my butt really hard.
Broken toe, age 14, tripping over a doorframe :smallyuk:
Other broken toe, age 15, attempting to descend a flight of stairs :smallyuk: :smallyuk:
Broken foot, age 17, sleeping, dreamed of someone who made me angry, attempted to kick this person, not enough sleep paralysis, foot connected solidly with corner of windowsill.
Broken toe, age 18, attempting to descend a flight of stairs AGAIN :smallfurious:
Sprained foot, age 20, muai thai'ing, got blocked weird and the bottom half of my foot got yanked one way and the other half still had momentum from me kicking the guy

CoffeeIncluded
2012-01-27, 01:43 PM
Wow, those are some impressive stories. I don't have too many scars; I have a small scar on the corner of my lip where my friend accidentally hit me with a baseball bat and my tooth cut into my lip. I also have a few cat scratch scars from working at the animal shelter.

Traab
2012-01-27, 01:51 PM
Oh I forgot one, maybe because after a few years it healed. My last real fist fight. I was a sophomore in high school, just got out of home ec when one of the other students randomly decided he was angry at me and wanted to fight. (Dont mess with home ec, we be hardcore) We ended up fighting at the bottom of a stair well for a solid 5 minutes before the teachers found out and broke it up. It was one hell of a fight. I had two badly split lips and a bloody nose, he had the same plus a dent in his forehead from when I put him in a headlock and slammed him into the stair case. I guess that means technically I won. But I spent the next several years having a nasty couple of lumps of scar tissue on my lips. It felt so freaking ODD. Even after a couple years id still feel the lumps and realize how strange it felt.

On the plus side, I got all sorts of tough guy credit for my scarred mouth. I just kinda glossed over the fact that 5 minutes before the fight started I was stitching shut the pillow I had just made. Thankfully they have faded, I dont even feel the lumps inside my lips anymore.

Cespenar
2012-01-27, 02:54 PM
I was a sophomore in high school, just got out of home ec when one of the other students randomly decided he was angry at me and wanted to fight.

Sounds like something out of a cheesy shonen anime. Seriously, was the kid brain-damaged or something?

noparlpf
2012-01-27, 03:49 PM
When I was two or three I bit through my lower lip. There's a kind of crooked scar two or so centimeters long there.
I have a scar three or four centimeters long on my right shoulder from brushing against a rusty fence. It's probably the coolest-looking scar I have.
The scar is nearly invisible now because walking barefoot frequently tends to cause a faster turnover of skin on the feet, but I had a scar somewhere between seven and ten centimeters long on the bottom of my right foot from half-running, half-falling down a steep incline while chasing my dog through the woods. I think my foot caught on a sharp rock; I didn't notice the cut until several minutes later when I had caught my dog and was sitting down to catch my breath.
One time I misjudged the distance of a jump and ended up with no skin on the entire inside of my left thigh; I landed with my legs kind of half-straddling the log I was jumping to, and it scraped all the skin off my thigh.
I had a nail go through my foot once.
I've broken half my toes (big deal), maybe something in my foot, one knuckle, one ankle, and a rib. Amusingly, the rib was the least painful and I didn't even notice it was broken until later when I found out it had healed crooked.
I used to have some pretty neat scars all up my right arm and shoulder from the time I tried to help my cat when she was choking on something. Those all went away after a while, though.
And I had a neat one on my left forearm near the inside of the elbow from when I accidentally touched the long, smooth metal part of a soldering iron to my arm.
Surprisingly, I don't have many long-lasting scars. I think I just heal well.
I've never had stitches for anything (yet; touch wood).
I'm getting my wisdom teeth out sometime in the next several months, but aside from that the only surgery I've ever had was when I performed surgery on my right big toe for an ingrown toenail using my pocket knife and the scissors on it. Amazingly, it didn't grow back ingrown, and it healed up fine.

Edit: Oh, and I've had a few concussions, but that's whatever. The worst one left me seeing spots and having weird depth perception for about a week.
And of course there are all the miscellaneous little scars on my hands.

noparlpf
2012-01-27, 04:01 PM
Lion's claws.

Sorry for the double-post (my post turned into a flow of thought wall of text), but that's really awesome. I want lion-inflicted scars. I guess I'll have to wait for something like that until I fight a bear.

Starwulf
2012-01-27, 04:02 PM
Oooh, I forgot about one of my favorite scars. I got this one from showing off when I was 18, trying to impress some chick. I took a lighter, flicked it on, and turned it upside down so the flame superheated the metal. Left it on for about a minute, then took it and shoved it down on my arm. I have a near-perfect imprint of a lighter wheel and hole on my right arm just below my hand.

noparlpf
2012-01-27, 04:04 PM
Oooh, I forgot about one of my favorite scars. I got this one from showing off when I was 18, trying to impress some chick. I took a lighter, flicked it on, and turned it upside down so the flame superheated the metal. Left it on for about a minute, then took it and shoved it down on my arm. I have a near-perfect imprint of a lighter wheel and hole on my right arm just below my hand.

I have a couple of dumb scars from accidentally touching my dad's cast-iron wood stove after having the fire going for hours, but they don't show up much and they're from being stupid. Like the time I opened it to put another couple of logs on and pushed the door shut by the edge instead of using the handle. There's a spot on one finger that doesn't have sensation.

Traab
2012-01-27, 04:05 PM
Sounds like something out of a cheesy shonen anime. Seriously, was the kid brain-damaged or something?

If he wasnt before he was after I bounced his skull off a metal railing. (He wasnt actually brain damaged, once our respective suspensions were over he was back in class)

Juggling Goth
2012-01-27, 04:25 PM
Plenty of self-inflicted ones that I'm fond of. They're all faded and I'm still here. What's not to like? Honestly, if they disappeared, I'd freak. Otherwise, I've got loads of little ones. Dexterity is my dump stat, and I work with animals. It comes with the territory.

A few from angry cats; one on my finger from a macaw bite. Giant evil parrot had to go to the vet. Giant evil parrot did not want to go to the vet. I got off very lucky there; she could have done a lot more damage than she did.

I've got a big crescent-shaped one under my chin that was just stupid. That's my best out of the accidental ones. I passed out because of anaemia, and caught my face on the corner of the bath on the way down. Woke up a few seconds later, went on with my day, went to rest my chin on my hand... wait a minute, why is it squishy, and where did all this blood come from? It was so weird. It didn't hurt at all. Spent the next few days with a little goatee of steri-strips, though.

Dogmantra
2012-01-27, 05:35 PM
I've managed to avoid scars for the most part (though I do have one that acts as a sort of extension to my right eyebrow where I tripped when I was four and impaled it on a little spike of wood jutting out from a step). My weirdest injury though, is I have a tooth which took a little holiday from my mouth. By which I mean I lost it playing rugby at school (fun fact: I like rugby the least of anyone ever) the one time I decided to really participate. It just popped clean out. Then they pushed it back in. Funniest bit about it is that when I picked it off the floor, one of my classmates thought I'd gone straight from being tackled to picking a daisy.

Lovely.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-01-27, 06:10 PM
I've only got one "real" scar, a couple of others but you need to measure them in millimeters.

The "real" scar that I have is on my left index finger. It's a scar I've had for, I think, six or seven years. It's a small crescent that is quite prominent on my finger tip. If you were finger printing me it would be one hell of an identifier.#

I think I got it by burning myself with a cigaret lighter. Don't remember why I decided to do that.

I've had a couple of injuries, one I remember happening and one that I was told.

The one I remember happening is half a cup of freshly made tea was being poured into a sink, and my left hand was in the way. I just stood there, screaming for a few seconds. It was an accident.

The one I was told about happened when I was very young. Three or four I'm not too sure. I was running around my grandparents garden with a wooden spoon in my mouth. I fell. The spoon wrecked the back of my throat and I had to go to hospital.

Mazeburn
2012-01-27, 08:05 PM
My coolest scar is a sort of stab-wound looking thing on my chest, right over my heart. From it one can certainly assume that I am definitely a vampire overlord who somehow survived being staked through the heart.

...I got it by falling over in a bathroom and hitting a sharp counter top when I was 12. :(

Togath
2012-01-27, 08:59 PM
Three main cases come to mind for me, a small scar over one of my eyebrows, from falling on a table when I was 5, several tiny thin scars along my arms and ankles, from kittens and blackberry vines and a set of 3 long raking claw mark scars along the side of my upper left arm, going a small distance from there onto my chest, which was inflicted by my cat(who is one of the biggest housecats I've seen) when he got startled by a falling bookcase(didn't fall on him, be he ran over me to try to escape from it).

Riverdance
2012-01-27, 11:22 PM
I'm getting my wisdom teeth out sometime in the next several months, but aside from that the only surgery I've ever had was when I performed surgery on my right big toe for an ingrown toenail using my pocket knife and the scissors on it. Amazingly, it didn't grow back ingrown, and it healed up fine.

I've done that exact same thing with the exact same result. Was yours a swiss army knife?

I forgot a one. One time when my mom was making pizza I rested my hand heavily on the cooling rack. I did not know it had just had a hot pizza on it. The result was a perfect grid burned into my left hand, it didn't scar though.

Also this (skip to 4:45) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WgWA7hbaro&feature=related) is the hardest fall I've ever taken while sledding. I'm the one with long hair (since cut) in the striped sweater. Apologies for the pop music and the quiet profanity at the end.

Lither
2012-01-28, 07:20 AM
Funny scar.

See, one time at least a decade ago I leant against the car after a long trip and accidently pressed my leg against part of the exhaust pipe. Naturally, it hurt. For a long while I had a perfect "C" branded against the back of my leg. If it hadn't faded away recently I'd supply a photo.

The amusing part is that my oldest sibling's name starts with "C". My family joked for a while about my sibling "branding" me.

thubby
2012-01-28, 07:46 AM
the one that's actually amusing is the one i got from my apendectomy. mostly because it happened on new-years day. it literally went "happy newyear!" *thubby pukes, then collapses in a heap*

otherwise, i've got...

1 below my left knee from a piece of glass i fell on while generally being stupid with a bicycle.

left arm below the elbow and left hip from falling off an ATV

the knuckles of my left hand from striking a stone wall (i was knocked over, and trying to stop myself from falling... the rocks were sharp >.>)

Elemental
2012-01-28, 08:13 AM
Wow. I have had such a boring life in comparison to you guys.
In all, I have four scars, despite owning cats (I must heal well).

I have a four centimetre scar on the side of my right hand opposite my thumb.
It's kind of cool, it goes on for a centimetre before turning almost ninety degrees and tapering to a very thin point. The last centimetre is so thin, it's almost invisible.
I also have a two centimetre one over the joint between my right foot and my big toe, nowhre near as cool.
I got those two from a glass bottle of red softdrink when I was four. It hurt, a lot, fortunately, I was a my Grandma's house. Shame about the softdrink though.

I also have two burn scars. One on my right middle finger and the other on the adjacent ring finger.
I don't even remember getting them, but my Mum tells me I got them when I was two by reaching out and putting my fingers in a fire.
Good thing is I have even more unique fingerprints! Huzzah!

razorback
2012-01-28, 09:08 AM
So, I one of my brothers, two years younger than me, had a bigger mouth growing up that would always get him in trouble. He would always come home a bit bruised and bleeding. If it was a fair fight, I usually let it stand, maybe talking to the other kid. It would be when there was more than one that I would get involved.

That being said, I was walking home from a friends house when I was about ten and he was eight. I saw that 3 kids where pushing him around in an empty lot (now that I think about it, I never asked him about why he was there. Text message sent). All 3 were older than me but I went in fists flying, cold cocking the biggest one. Somewhere in the insuing scuffle, according to my brother who saw it, one of them picked up a rock the size of a grapefuit and launched it at my head. All I remember is waking up in the hospital. Apparently they kicked the crap out of me for a while before realizing I wasn't moving. So, I got an apparently nasty scar on the back of my head (it cracked my skull pretty good, so I wonder what an Xray would look like) and a pretty good one above my right eye from what I'm guessing was a kick to the face. While I was in the hospital, my oldest brother and a couple of his friends and royally beat the crap out of them, apparently, because they never came near either of us again and they were known as the school bullies.

Probably the "cooler" scar was when I was about 15 or 16. Brother walks in the door with a bloody nose, said kids down the street beat him up. A friend who was over and I went down there to have a little talk with them (It was seriously about 9 or 10 houses down). So, the 6 of them were waiting and when they saw us come out of the house, the kid who lived there ran into the house. When we got there, the others stalled for about a minute when the kid who lived there walked out with a bow and arrow. Seriously, a bow and arrow. He told us to run and I told him to shove it. I started to say something else and he fired. I felt the pain of this thing breaking skin and I was shocked that A) he did it and B) that I had an arrow sticking out of my chest. First thought was I'm dead. Second was so was he. I charged him, knocking him down, and proceeded to savagely beat him. All the other bullies scattered, my buddy Mark was yelling about going to the hospital while trying to pull me off of him. So, the across the street neighbor had been watching and had called the cops, and they arrived and pulled me off of the kid. While the wound looked mortal, what had happened was in my jacket pocket I had folded up my homework and while the arrow had penetrated all the way through, the paper had absorbed most of the energy and I got away with a scar, a lot of bleeding and a chipped rib. This was a mess for a while but the kid ended up going to juvenile hall for a while. As a side note, later on said POS was in college and, when he had blown his rent money, instead of trying to figure a way to pay it instead he burnt his apartment down. As far as I know (and I hope he is) still in prison.

Elemental
2012-01-28, 09:46 AM
I have had a boring life. No lions, no arrows, no sporting accidents.
Just ensconced in an aura of boring safety.
Except for stairs. Fell down those twice, sprained the same wrist twice.
Yet for some reason... My other wrist is the bad one...

noparlpf
2012-01-28, 10:40 AM
I've done that exact same thing with the exact same result. Was yours a swiss army knife?

Technically a "Swiss Army Card" that I found a while back, though was neat, and bought. It's handy for little things like cutting out bits of one's toes because the pieces all slide out of the card instead of being attached to the handle.
And I forgot to sterilize the blades. I'm probably lucky I've never had an infection.

So, I one of my brothers, two years younger than me, had a bigger mouth growing up that would always get him in trouble. He would always come home a bit bruised and bleeding. If it was a fair fight, I usually let it stand, maybe talking to the other kid. It would be when there was more than one that I would get involved.

That being said, I was walking home from a friends house when I was about ten and he was eight. I saw that 3 kids where pushing him around in an empty lot (now that I think about it, I never asked him about why he was there. Text message sent). All 3 were older than me but I went in fists flying, cold cocking the biggest one. Somewhere in the insuing scuffle, according to my brother who saw it, one of them picked up a rock the size of a grapefuit and launched it at my head. All I remember is waking up in the hospital. Apparently they kicked the crap out of me for a while before realizing I wasn't moving. So, I got an apparently nasty scar on the back of my head (it cracked my skull pretty good, so I wonder what an Xray would look like) and a pretty good one above my right eye from what I'm guessing was a kick to the face. While I was in the hospital, my oldest brother and a couple of his friends and royally beat the crap out of them, apparently, because they never came near either of us again and they were known as the school bullies.

Probably the "cooler" scar was when I was about 15 or 16. Brother walks in the door with a bloody nose, said kids down the street beat him up. A friend who was over and I went down there to have a little talk with them (It was seriously about 9 or 10 houses down). So, the 6 of them were waiting and when they saw us come out of the house, the kid who lived there ran into the house. When we got there, the others stalled for about a minute when the kid who lived there walked out with a bow and arrow. Seriously, a bow and arrow. He told us to run and I told him to shove it. I started to say something else and he fired. I felt the pain of this thing breaking skin and I was shocked that A) he did it and B) that I had an arrow sticking out of my chest. First thought was I'm dead. Second was so was he. I charged him, knocking him down, and proceeded to savagely beat him. All the other bullies scattered, my buddy Mark was yelling about going to the hospital while trying to pull me off of him. So, the across the street neighbor had been watching and had called the cops, and they arrived and pulled me off of the kid. While the wound looked mortal, what had happened was in my jacket pocket I had folded up my homework and while the arrow had penetrated all the way through, the paper had absorbed most of the energy and I got away with a scar, a lot of bleeding and a chipped rib. This was a mess for a while but the kid ended up going to juvenile hall for a while. As a side note, later on said POS was in college and, when he had blown his rent money, instead of trying to figure a way to pay it instead he burnt his apartment down. As far as I know (and I hope he is) still in prison.

Holy poop. What kind of neighborhood did you live in? That's crazy. The worst I've been shot with is a BB gun (hurray for younger siblings), and that just stung a little.

razorback
2012-01-28, 10:53 AM
^^ Small town about 50 miles south of San Jose, CA. Growing up it grew from about 20k to 30k people in the less than 10 years.

noparlpf
2012-01-28, 12:14 PM
^^ Small town about 50 miles south of San Jose, CA. Growing up it grew from about 20k to 30k people in the less than 10 years.

Remind me to never go there. I'd be cool with lion- or bear-claw scars, but I don't want to get shot with a bow and arrow.

TheThan
2012-01-28, 04:06 PM

Gilroy or Morgan Hill?

Anyway the whole back of my neck is scared over from a very bad sunburn. My friends and I went paintballing in the summer… all day... in the desert. Second degree (or nearly second degree) sunburns are not fun. If it was any worse (or I was not as manly as I am), I’d have had to go to the hospital. People were saying they could stand 5 feet away from me and feel the heat radiating off of me.

At least it was scared over, scar might have gone away by now (it was like 7-10 years ago).

razorback
2012-01-28, 04:08 PM
Although I lived in both growing up, it happened in Hollister.

TheThan
2012-01-28, 04:10 PM
Although I lived in both growing up, it happened in Hollister.

Ahh, I spend a few years in Morgan Hill myself.

noparlpf
2012-01-28, 05:17 PM
Seeing as how we're talking about injuries, I may have broken a knuckle or carpel today. Somebody had put some big chunks of ice (six or eight centimeters thick) from the pond or something standing up on the railing of one of the footbridges, and I had the bright idea to punch one. I didn't even hit it that hard, but now my middle knuckle is swollen up to the size of a large kumquat.

Cespenar
2012-01-28, 05:41 PM
Seeing as how we're talking about injuries, I may have broken a knuckle or carpel today. Somebody had put some big chunks of ice (six or eight centimeters thick) from the pond or something standing up on the railing of one of the footbridges, and I had the bright idea to punch one. I didn't even hit it that hard, but now my middle knuckle is swollen up to the size of a large kumquat.

Did you put ice on the swelling? :trollface:

noparlpf
2012-01-28, 06:55 PM
Did you put ice on the swelling? :trollface:

Haha, yes. Or well technically frozen peas because they're so much better for this than ice. They mold to the shape of an injured body part better.

warty goblin
2012-01-28, 07:09 PM
My favorite scars:

1) My left big toe: I was jumping a fence, and only noticed halfway over that Dad had left the scythe leaning on the other side. The newly sharpened scythe.

Sucker went through my inch thick rubber boot and halfway through my big toe under that. I think that was four stiches, and walking a bit funny for a while. The nerve ending's are still screwed up in that toe, and the toenail's been a bit funny ever since.

2) The middle and ring fingers of my left hand: Few years back I worked in a restaurant kitchen. Now the restaurant was attached to a hotel, which gave us all their old torn up towels to use as rags. Since this was a restaurant kitchen ordering actual cooking gear took about as long as continental drift, so naturally we were constantly out of actual pot holders. This meant we usually just used the old towel rags instead.

Towels are of course made out of terrycloth, which catches fire very, very easily. One day I was taking a pot of boiling water off the stovetop, when I must have snagged the edge of the rag in the burner, because I noticed it was now burning merrily. The water was of course boiling, so I had to move very quickly to the counter and set it down before I could drop the burning rag and get my hand out of the fire.

Oh and the best part? Nobody even noticed.

The scar's barely visible, but I had some remarkably hideous blisters for quite a while.

Weezer
2012-01-28, 07:17 PM
The only scar I have that really comes with a story is the one I have right on the bridge of my nose.

I was 4 or 5 and I was "helping" my dad shovel the driveway, this really meant that I was mucking about in the snow with my little plastic snowshovel while he shoveled the driveway. I, being small and not thinking, walked up right behind my dad just as he was throwing a shovel full of snow over his shoulder. He accidentally got me right on the bridge of my nose with the shovel, which was one of the metal-tipped plastic ones, so I got cut right to the bone. I don't remember it, cause I was so young, but it left a nasty cut that I can always tell people my dad gave me. :smallamused:

As for all my other scars (and I have a lot), they are either burns (Boy Scouts), accidental cuts of the finger (again Boy Scouts, combined with careless chopping of vegitables), minor lacerations from running in the woods (when you're sprinting in shorts, it's surprising how deep a thorn or sharp stick can cut you) and the most numerous one, intentional cutting. But none of those are good stories.

Lord Loss
2012-01-28, 10:07 PM
In grade 8 on the before last day of end of year exams I was playing soccer when my friend kicked the soccer ball out of the field. My friend offered to walk to go get it but instead of walking all the way around the large and long fence I just climbed on and jumped off, which I would have landed fine were it not for my shoe getting stuck in the fence and making me swing forward and hit my arm on the ground at a horrible angle. Breaking my arm in two places.

The best part? Right before I went to get it my friend said... dude don,t jump you'll break your leg.

ForzaFiori
2012-01-28, 10:37 PM
If you were to shave my head and look at the back of my head, you would notice two things.
First, the back of my head is completely flat.
Second, you would see jagged scaring from where I split my head open as a kid.
I was 11, at martial arts practice hitting a heavy bag. It wasn't chained to the floor, another student was holding it. Just as I stepped backwards, he shoved it at me, and caught me square in the jaw, completely off balance, and already with momentum in that direction. I went 20 feet back, and banged my head against the concrete wall/floor. I stood up. Touched the back of my head. Looked at my hand and apparently passed out again.

As luck would have it, my grandparents were literally walking into the building at the time. My sensei stuck me in a neck brace, and they put me in the back of my grandfather's van. Drove me to the hospital. About 10 minutes from the hospital, I apparently woke up and was saying strange things and yelling about my head, but I don't remember. I do remember being in the hospital, occasionally waking up with lots of people around me in surgical masks, all telling me not to move my head, and then I would either throw up or pass out again. That was creepy as hell, still produces some nightmares.
Yes, they had to pull pieces of my own skull out of my brain. I had the bits in a jar at home until I moved.

Though it didn't leave a scar, I've had a nearly identical talk in a hospital.
In 5th grade, we had these little scooter-like things (basically a piece of wood with 4 wheels) in our gym class, and we would have someone swing us in a circle, then let go and we'd fly across the floor. Dude didn't look where he was going, ran right into me. My head went forward into his, bounced off, and nailed the tile floor. knocked me clean out for maybe 5 minutes. School didn't really care, and since I didn't know what a concussion was at that point, I didn't tell my mom. Couple days later I nearly pass out, start throwing up, all the classic symptoms. My mom finds out (when she asked me if i'd done anything recently) and we go to the hospital. Had to go through 5 or 6 CT scans because they thought I had an aneurysm. 11 days later, my mom started breathing again when the scans came back clear. Now, 9 concussions later (11 total, turned out I'd had one when I was younger I didn't remember then, and thankfully, most were only minor), my brain is still clear, and my memory is almost completely fine (I have lost a bit of short term memory, but not enough to cause a significant problem)

noparlpf
2012-01-28, 11:57 PM
Though it didn't leave a scar, I've had a nearly identical talk in a hospital.
In 5th grade, we had these little scooter-like things (basically a piece of wood with 4 wheels) in our gym class, and we would have someone swing us in a circle, then let go and we'd fly across the floor. Dude didn't look where he was going, ran right into me. My head went forward into his, bounced off, and nailed the tile floor. knocked me clean out for maybe 5 minutes. School didn't really care, and since I didn't know what a concussion was at that point, I didn't tell my mom. Couple days later I nearly pass out, start throwing up, all the classic symptoms. My mom finds out (when she asked me if i'd done anything recently) and we go to the hospital. Had to go through 5 or 6 CT scans because they thought I had an aneurysm. 11 days later, my mom started breathing again when the scans came back clear. Now, 9 concussions later (11 total, turned out I'd had one when I was younger I didn't remember then, and thankfully, most were only minor), my brain is still clear, and my memory is almost completely fine (I have lost a bit of short term memory, but not enough to cause a significant problem)

Huh. I feel like my memory and ability to recall words have deteriorated in the past few years. (Nowadays I frequently have to stop mid-sentence because the word just disappeared from my mind. My recognition ability is just fine, it's just production that's gotten worse.) Maybe that has to do with the number of concussions I've had. My mum keeps telling me to be more careful.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-01-29, 12:18 AM
I've managed to avoid scars. I used to have an 'x' shaped scar on my lower lip where one of my teeth went straight through it once, from misjudging the depth of a pool when I was, oh, 6 or 7, maybe as old as 8.

I SHOULD have a mass of scar tissue on my knees and arms, from how many times I've skinned them... Once, I skinned my knee so bad, I could see the patella. But no, after a year, the scar had faded.

I DO have a strange scar on the back of my neck. I don't remember doing anything that would have drawn a long, thin, slightly wavy line down the back of my neck. I forget about it until someone says "Hey dude, where'd you get that scar on the back of your neck?"
It must be fairly recent, within the last 2 years, because I can't remember noticing it before then...

YeahThatGuy
2012-01-29, 02:03 AM
Man, I'm jealous of everyone here. My coolest injury didn't leave a scar.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/ytg/Photos/face_scratch.jpg

The only scars I have are from my surgery for testicular torsion ( no pictures, sorry ).

SweetLikeLemons
2012-01-29, 04:10 AM
I tore my eyelid and had to get stitches in it. The story is not that interesting, it involves an alpine slide, teenage exuberance and peer pressure. I just like seeing the reaction people have to the words "eyelid stitches".

Generic Archer
2012-01-29, 07:10 AM
So many...

The most recent(?, maybe not... was that before or after I last fell off my mountain bike), and by far the most amusing of late.
I took an ice axe to the head.

Yes, seriously. No, not the pick part... it was the adze though, and I would have preferred the hammer.

The most embarrassing part, I was still holding onto it at the time.

I was dry-tooling (using ice tools on rock) in a quarry, and tried to pull up on the adze in my right hand, it slipped and bounced off my head, about a centimetre inside the hair line. Thankfully it was light and didn't have a lot of momentum... but then I had to free myself from the leash on the hammer to get back to the ground... all while wondering whether it was bad enough that I was going to lose conciousness. It wasn't.

Haven't seen the scar, and doubt it will scar much, but it's a cool story

Howl
2012-01-29, 09:24 AM
I've got eight or nine mysterious large straight scars criscrossing all along my back that eerily resemble whip lashing. I've tried to get information on them from my family for the past ten years since my significant other pointed them out to me (until then I hadn't even noticed) however my parents refuse to talk about it. My theory is that I was
sold for sex and abused heavily since there are strong indicators toward that in my childhood.

Serpentine
2012-01-29, 09:46 AM
Where's Extra Crispy? He always wins these...

warty goblin
2012-01-29, 10:57 AM
I tore my eyelid and had to get stitches in it. The story is not that interesting, it involves an alpine slide, teenage exuberance and peer pressure. I just like seeing the reaction people have to the words "eyelid stitches".

After I had my eyeball drilled I find that far less alarming.

noparlpf
2012-01-29, 11:19 AM
I just found a long gash on my left side. Yesterday during our boffing club meeting I tripped, fell into a roll, and leaped right back up to "kill" somebody. Somewhere in the process I noticed a pain in my left side and assumed I had just rolled over a sharp twig. Turns out it actually left a big old cut. I guess I didn't notice because I was more worried about my hand.

Speaking of my hand and ice-related injuries, last winter I punched an icicle the size of myself that was hanging off the dining hall balcony. It fell on my leg. Left a huge bruise on my left thigh and it swelled up something nasty. The colors were really pretty, though. Some neat shades of magenta, blue, and violet, some yellows.
Best part is, the nearest dorm was the freshman girls' dorm, so I went there to look at my leg and make sure nothing was broken, and wound up with my pants stuck around my ankles because I couldn't bend over to pick them up.

dehro
2012-01-29, 12:58 PM
I have a scar that is nearly faded after hmmm 30 years. I was riding my bike when some other guy rides up beside me. Our handle bars got locked together and we went tumbling. It was a messy ball of arms legs and bike parts sticking out in places they shouldn't be.

that sounds like kissing a girl and getting your braces stuck together..except cooler. :smallbiggrin:

at some stage inbetween watching too many martial arts films and actually practicing martial arts I tried to deflect a piece of glass away from my torso by lifting my knee and trying to parry it with my leg. of course the glass (an actual neck of a broken bottle..held by one of the kids I was in a brawl with, it sounds cheesy and silly now I think back on it, but I guess I got damn lucky) cut right through my trousers and got me a nice cut across my lower leg. over the last 20 years it's pretty much healed into invisibility.
when I was ...3-4?.. I was pedalling on one of those tiny tractors with pedals you sit on as a kid.. took a wrong curve and went downhill on the asphalt pavement at the bottom of my grandparent's garden. I was going too fast to dare braking or jumping off, but that wouldn't have mattered much..as normally the gate at the bottom of the garden would be open. this time it wasn't and I smashed against it something fierce. took a square inch or so of skin off my chin. caused a big ruckus and worry to my grandma.. apparently I screamed at the top of my lungs until I got icecream.
to this day no beard grows where I hit myself and when I'm not sporting a beard you can clearly see the cleft in the skin.. if smaller than it was.
I have a problem with powered hedge-trimmers. I cut myself with one once by being stupid. the scar is still visible on the side of my right middle finger. last august I did the same again, this time almost cutting off my left thumb. had to have stitches on both sides of it. cut was pretty deep on the palm side, and you can still see that some of the muscle isn't there anymore. I've lost a bit of strength there, and if I try to grip something with my left hand too hard, it does still hurt. useless to say, there's no money enough in the world for me to trim a hedge ever again unless I can use a nail-file to do so.
I fainted once at school..have no memory of what caused it. banged my nose on the pavement and had to have 3 stiches right down it. you can't see that anymore either.
as a kid I would always have a scar or two from falling off horses, playing in barns, stick-fighting with my best friend and so on.
they've all healed though..so no cool scars there.

Anuan
2012-01-30, 07:43 AM
Man, I'm jealous of everyone here. My coolest injury didn't leave a scar.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/ytg/Photos/face_scratch.jpg

The only scars I have are from my surgery for testicular torsion ( no pictures, sorry ).

FFFFFFFFFFF.

One injury I had led them to believe I may have had one of those. Just the very thought gives me shivers.

Vacant
2012-01-31, 12:53 AM
I have a scar where I got bit by a wolf, I guess that's pretty cool.

Riverdance
2012-01-31, 10:29 PM
I have a scar where I got bit by a wolf, I guess that's pretty cool.

Most certainly. How did you get it?

dehro
2012-02-01, 04:23 AM
Most certainly. How did you get it?

by being bitten by a wolf?:smallamused:

Cespenar
2012-02-01, 04:37 AM
by being bitten by a wolf?:smallamused:

Storytelling, do you speak it?! :smalltongue: