PDA

View Full Version : Hand Gisarm(3.5 weapon, PEACH)

bobthe6th
2012-01-26, 09:27 PM
Hand Gisarm

A Hand Gisarm is a very heavy broad sword, with a long handle. it can be wielded in one hand or in two. when wielded two handed it deals an additional 2 damage, or can be used as if it had reach. using the reach option negates the damage bonus, and the damage bonus option negates the reach. When charging while mounted, a Hand Gisarm deals double damage.

{table=head]One Handed Exotic Weapons|Cost|S Damage|M Damage|Critical|Range Increment|Weight|Type
Hand Gisarm|100 gp|1d10|1d12|x2| --- |8lb.|Slashing
[/table]

AugustNights
2012-01-26, 10:00 PM
It is on par with the increase of other exotic weapons (Slightly better than the Warhammer).

However, being on par with precedent isn't exactly what most homebrewers shoot for when building exotic weapons (as that it requires a feat to use them, more often than not).
Effectively a feat for this adds +1 to critical multiplier, with a single weapon.
4.5 average damage for a 1d8, 5% chance for a critical, equates to about +.225 damage per attack.
A character is statistically better off taking Weapon Focus (Warhammer) than becoming proficient with this exotic weapon.

Why, exactly, do you want one of these to exist?

bobthe6th
2012-01-26, 10:03 PM
heh. the hand guisarm is a refrance to a book, and the fact the book is in general historically accurate, yet that is the only time I have heard of a hand guisarm... but I digress.

I was attempting to stay within the bounds of the current exotic weapons, as you noted. I think I will knock it up to 1d10 and the crit rate to x3. then you have average damage one handed of 5, and two handed 7.

edit: ok, knocked the crit down to x2, but base damage up to 1d12. now you get a near greataxe, then two handed you get a bit better greataxe.

bobthe6th
2012-01-27, 11:38 AM
so new thoughts?

Relecs
2012-01-27, 01:57 PM
adding +2 damage when wielding the weapon 2h seems odd, no other weapon does this they simply allow you1.5 str modifier for wielding 2h. The d12 seems about right and the crit modifier seems about balanced.

I would get rid of the +2 when wielding 2h, also consider treating this like a bastard sword

martial when wielded in 2h
exotic to wield it 1h

just a thought.

EDIT: Here is the SRD for the regular Guisarme (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Guisarme)

I don't exactly understand what difference is made by your wish to have a "hand" guisarme except that you want it to not have reach and to wield it 1h. I believe that both of these effects could be achieved with feats, however if you are intent on making this weapon different my suggestion would no be

1h martial weapon
1d6 damage
You can also use it to make trip attacks. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the guisarme to avoid being tripped.
3x crit

essentially drop the damage a step from the 2h version and remove the reach.

AugustNights
2012-01-27, 03:14 PM
Running it by Seerow's Weapon Point Buy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202722)

Exotic Weapon: 0 slots
1 handed melee: 1 slot
1d12 Damage: 5 slots
x2 Crit. Multiplier: 0 slot
Special (2-hand +2 damage): Rough guess at about 1 slot.

2 handed melee: -1 slot
+2 damage: ~2 slots

Looks to be about 6/8 slots.
Which makes it a bit better than a martial weapon, but a very weak exotic weapon.

Jiriku's more simple system (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11940657&postcount=61) rates it at about 8/9, which seems more apt for a martial weapon than an exotic one.

I can't find JaronK's system, IIRC had a 7 point buy in.

Any how it could use a little spiffing up.
Increasing the critical multiplier back to x3 would probably set it back on track.

bobthe6th
2012-01-27, 03:48 PM
Hand gisarm is from "men of iron". The weapon is a refrance... and thinking of it, I have the perfect answer to how to spif it up! Also, I dislke bastard swords. With power attack, that ewp is equal to weapon focus. People paid a feat for a sweet weapon, they get a sweet weapon.

Seerow
2012-01-27, 04:02 PM
Running it by Seerow's Weapon Point Buy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202722)

Exotic Weapon: 0 slots
1 handed melee: 1 slot
1d12 Damage: 5 slots
x2 Crit. Multiplier: 0 slot
Special (2-hand +2 damage): Rough guess at about 1 slot.

2 handed melee: -1 slot
+2 damage: ~2 slots

Looks to be about 6/8 slots.
Which makes it a bit better than a martial weapon, but a very weak exotic weapon.

Jiriku's more simple system (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11940657&postcount=61) rates it at about 8/9, which seems more apt for a martial weapon than an exotic one.

I can't find JaronK's system, IIRC had a 7 point buy in.

Any how it could use a little spiffing up.
Increasing the critical multiplier back to x3 would probably set it back on track.

Small correction: d12 damage die is 4 step increases from the base size of a d4. So it's only 4 slots, not 5. So the weapon in total is about 3 slots shy of an exotic weapon per my system. It actually fits in perfectly with martial weapons. Though the +2 damage if wielded 2 handed is probably worth an extra slot or so.

bobthe6th
2012-01-27, 05:07 PM
Does the addition of a lance bonus on mounted charge push it up to exotic. The weaoon was a stand in for a lance after all...

bobthe6th
2012-01-27, 06:27 PM
Ok, now its a super lance, as it was in the book. unwieldy sure, but affective in a skilled hand. you can mounted charge, fight with it in one hand, use it with two hands for reach, or deal real pain with it two handed. I ask you ladies and gents, is that worth a feat or what?

AugustNights
2012-01-28, 04:56 PM
Reach optional? That certainly sets it up to be along the lines of a good exotic weapon. I like it.