PDA

View Full Version : Dr Who-Stargate Crossover

CommodoreFluffy
2012-01-28, 04:31 PM
I was just sitting when i started thinking about possible sci fi crossovers, between world which don't necessarily conflict, my favorite of all was some sort of cross between Stargate and doctor who (I'm thinking probably around season 5 SG-1). Nothing in either show specifically conflicts with the other, especially considering the secrecy of Stargate Command, Torchwood, and UNIT.

My favorite thing about this matchup however would be how the characters play off of eachother. I don't know...I guess i just want to hear what other people think.

Brother Oni
2012-01-28, 05:03 PM
I was just sitting when i started thinking about possible sci fi crossovers, between world which don't necessarily conflict, my favorite of all was some sort of cross between Stargate and doctor who (I'm thinking probably around season 5 SG-1). Nothing in either show specifically conflicts with the other, especially considering the secrecy of Stargate Command, Torchwood, and UNIT.

The problem is that if you have UNIT and Torchwood active, then the entire world knows of the presence of ET life and the possible threats it can pose, which unites the world globally against them.
This runs counter to major SG themes of secrecy and later on in the series, political issues of other countries not trusting the SG programme under sole US command, which often splits the world apart.

In any case, it'd depend on which Doctor you have interacting with the SG. Any one of Three to Seven have quite a lot of experience working with UNIT, so would probably fit right in (barring a few US/UK military culture clashes).
Ten didn't regard UNIT as highly as his predecessors did, so would probably be less willing to work with the SG.

In any case, I suspect that Jack (O'Neill) would probably take an instinctive dislike to the Doctor, regardless of incarnation, Sam and Daniel would respect him for his knowledge (although Daniel would probably get on better being more pacifistically minded).
Teal'c would either not mind him or regard him with awe, depending on how much of the Doctor's legend had seeped into Goa'uld and Jaffa mythology.

KillianHawkeye
2012-01-28, 11:24 PM
This can only end in tears. :smallsigh:

Arminius
2012-01-29, 12:18 AM
Kree tal lok Tau'ri!*
http://i.imgur.com/hnMFX.jpg
You had to remind me of Anna-Louise Plowman. I had a massive crush on Osiris for the longest time.:smallredface: I wonder what would happen if you got a symbiote into a time lord? I watched SG-1 quite a bit, but I don't know much about Dr. Who.

*Goa'uld for: "Kneel before your god Earthling!"

Flickerdart
2012-01-29, 12:31 AM
*Goa'uld for: "Kneel before your god Earthling!"
To be fair, kree is kind of a catch-all term.

Even if there was a crossover, UNIT/Torchwood are almost purely defense/research forces, whereas SG is an exploration force. They'd probably have a field day swapping technology though.

The Doctor wouldn't really fit into Stargate either, because he already has a hallmark method of transportation.

H Birchgrove
2012-01-29, 01:25 AM
An important question is: Would the Daleks, the Cybermen, etc Who-verse villains be a greater threat than the Goa'uld, the Wraith, the Ori, etc? :smallconfused:

PS. In the Stargate series, Star Trek, Star Wars, and Batman have been mentioned as part of the pop culture in the Stargate-verse, and therefore can be seen as fictional in that verse.

To my knowledge, Dr Who hasn't been mentioned. :smallwink:

KillianHawkeye
2012-01-29, 01:31 AM
I wonder what would happen if you got a symbiote into a time lord?

It would probably be worse than Anubis. (Hence the aforementioned tears.)

Heck, even a normal system lord getting access to time travel tends to wreak havoc on the galaxy and Earth in particular. The funky rippling way that time corrections take place in the SG universe is the only thing that allowed Daniel, Carter, and what's-his-name to land in the alternate reality to fix things when Ba'al went back in time, and his time travel technology was much more primitive than a TARDIS. Not to mention what sort of weapons technology the Goa'uld could harvest from the memories of a nigh-immortal technologically advanced species like the Time Lords.

However, it probably wouldn't happen that way, since the Goa'uld pose little threat to the Time Lords. I don't remember them even ever taking an Asgard as a host, and they're only about equal to the average space-faring alien race in Doctor Who. Their only chance would be to take one by surprise all alone, but the only way they could do that is if they had intimate knowledge of their target while their target remains completely oblivious to their existence.

Actually, I'd be a lot more worried about if the Replicators ever got their hands on an unattended TARDIS. Or I would be if they had a chance of getting inside, but I don't think they do.

More likely we'd get a story about The Doctor fighting mind-control aliens in ancient Egypt, and the threat would be averted.

Brother Oni
2012-01-29, 03:45 AM
PS. In the Stargate series, Star Trek, Star Wars, and Batman have been mentioned as part of the pop culture in the Stargate-verse, and therefore can be seen as fictional in that verse.

Don't forget The Wizard of Oz! :smalltongue:

zimmerwald1915
2012-01-29, 11:51 AM
However, it probably wouldn't happen that way, since the Goa'uld pose little threat to the Time Lords. I don't remember them even ever taking an Asgard as a host, and they're only about equal to the average space-faring alien race in Doctor Who.
If I remember correctly, Ra had an Asgard as a host at some point before he discovered Earth.

Arminius
2012-01-29, 11:53 AM
To be fair, kree is kind of a catch-all term.
Quite true, it is probably how you make a sentance imperative in Goa'uld, since it always seems to be in some sort of order.

It would probably be worse than Anubis. (Hence the aforementioned tears.)

Heck, even a normal system lord getting access to time travel tends to wreak havoc on the galaxy and Earth in particular. The funky rippling way that time corrections take place in the SG universe is the only thing that allowed Daniel, Carter, and what's-his-name to land in the alternate reality to fix things when Ba'al went back in time, and his time travel technology was much more primitive than a TARDIS. Not to mention what sort of weapons technology the Goa'uld could harvest from the memories of a nigh-immortal technologically advanced species like the Time Lords.

However, it probably wouldn't happen that way, since the Goa'uld pose little threat to the Time Lords. I don't remember them even ever taking an Asgard as a host, and they're only about equal to the average space-faring alien race in Doctor Who. Their only chance would be to take one by surprise all alone, but the only way they could do that is if they had intimate knowledge of their target while their target remains completely oblivious to their existence.

Actually, I'd be a lot more worried about if the Replicators ever got their hands on an unattended TARDIS. Or I would be if they had a chance of getting inside, but I don't think they do.

More likely we'd get a story about The Doctor fighting mind-control aliens in ancient Egypt, and the threat would be averted.
I wonder if the reason they never took an Asgard host is physiological or just that the Goa'uld never managed to capture one? The Asgard would more often be part of a ship's company and the ship itself would be difficult for the Goa'uld to defeat until Anubis came along. Didn't Anubis capture Thor at one point? Even so, he may have refrained from using him as a host for fear of burning through Thor before he assimilated all the infromation, and he wouldn't have wanted another Goa'uld to have access to Asgard technology, so he didn't order his underlings to do it.

pffh
2012-01-29, 12:06 PM

Not to mention if there was ever a creature that could eject a Goa'uld it would be a Time Lord and I think the Tardis is slightly more powerful then the replicators.

EccentricCircle
2012-01-29, 12:30 PM
The extended edition of the Star Gate movie shows Ra's "Original form" as being a thin, grey, asgard like alien, so this is usually interpreted as "his previous host was Asgard" to reconcile it with SG-1.
It kind of makes sense that the most powerful system lord would be able to turn one of the four great races into a host, while the others are stuck using Humans and Unas. But of course none of that was part of the film makers original intent.

The main spacefaring nations in Doctor Who. (e.g. Cybermen, Sontarans etc) have a similar level of technology to a ruling race such as the Goa'uld, or Wraith in Stargate.

The powerful Time Traveling Races (Galifrey, the Dalek Empire at its Height.) have a level of technology in advance of the Heighest Ancient technology seen in Stargate, largely because they have time travel as a free action.

However the era in Whoniverse humans are (probably) comparable to Earth's technology in the modern Stargate verse is between the 25th and 51st centuries. Whereas the revelation of alien's existance (at least before the Eleventh Doctor reset things) was in 2005-2007 (ish), whereas in the Stargate verse the Maskerade has yet to be broken, even if it has come close a lot of times. While technology has rocketed. Secret military organisations work in similar ways in both universes, but the SGC has a lot more in common with the 80's unit than with the 21st century.

the trouble with trying to compare them is that doctor who cannon is very sporadic, while stargate is extremely consistant. this is unavoidable when a show runs for that long, but it means that multiple retcons and changes to the way things work make it hard to establish any baseline. mindyou it does give a lot of freedom for Roleplaying games set within the Whoniverse.

so you should be able to find a version of doctor who canon that is comatable with Stargate. But probably not from the new series.

also of note the episode Pyramids of Mars. in which the fourth doctor fights the ancient egyptian gods. or similar...

CommodoreFluffy
2012-01-29, 12:34 PM
The problem is that if you have UNIT and Torchwood active, then the entire world knows of the presence of ET life and the possible threats it can pose, which unites the world globally against them.
This runs counter to major SG themes of secrecy and later on in the series, political issues of other countries not trusting the SG programme under sole US command, which often splits the world apart.

In any case, it'd depend on which Doctor you have interacting with the SG. Any one of Three to Seven have quite a lot of experience working with UNIT, so would probably fit right in (barring a few US/UK military culture clashes).
Ten didn't regard UNIT as highly as his predecessors did, so would probably be less willing to work with the SG.

In any case, I suspect that Jack (O'Neill) would probably take an instinctive dislike to the Doctor, regardless of incarnation, Sam and Daniel would respect him for his knowledge (although Daniel would probably get on better being more pacifistically minded).
Teal'c would either not mind him or regard him with awe, depending on how much of the Doctor's legend had seeped into Goa'uld and Jaffa mythology.

If you remember from the show, the doctor frequently mentions how quickly the general population forgets about alien life. UNIT and SGC could easily exist in the same universe, separated only by walls of bureaucratic red tape (an issue in both series). Plus, even though it's likely that Jack would be initially annoyed by the doctor, at the very least it would be amusing to see their wits clash.

Brother Oni
2012-01-29, 06:51 PM
If you remember from the show, the doctor frequently mentions how quickly the general population forgets about alien life.

Unless they live in Cardiff. :smalltongue:

As other people have pointed out (and corrected me on), knowledge of ET life tends to flip in and out of the population memory in the Dr Who universe due to people playing shenanigans with the time stream.
I forget which recent companion it was, who had no knowledge of ET life due to this - I suspect Amy as Donna's ignorance could easily be attributed to her personality. :smalltongue:

If I remember correctly, Jack tends to have issues with authority figures and the Doctor is pretty much a legendary authority figure (the entire Shadow Proclamation nearly immediately hands control over to Ten, just by his turning up).

I suggest you pick an incarnation as each version of the Doctor has very different personalities, which would result in very different clashes with Jack.

On a side note, Jack Harkness is a RAF Group Captain, which is about equivalent to a colonel, thus you essentially have two air force colonel Jacks in your crossover, which I find amusing. :smallbiggrin: