PDA

View Full Version : Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

TheFallenOne
2012-01-28, 09:01 PM
https://i.imgur.com/eCQBjJJ.png
https://i.imgur.com/UHtKbMI.png

"Ah, yes, Ravens Bluff... A wonderful city for all kinds of trade and assorted other businesses, isn't it?" Dar Al Asam raised his glass to you with a wide grin beneath his flamboyant red mustache, narrowly avoiding to spill his wine when another wave rocked the boat back and forth. The journey on his 'Arianna' down the Dragon Reach has been rough, the early autumn storms stronger than usual, but you were past the dangerous waters, due to reach your destination before sunrise. So the Cali****e captain invited you to celebrate before you part ways with a feast and choice wine - a generosity he could easily afford since you had to pay double, most other ships staying in the harbors instead of braving the wild waters.
"But I guess it is your first visit? I understand you coming here - plenty of opportunity to find work, but also easy to get into trouble by taking a wrong step - ever since the end of the war the city has been different."
He paused a moment, pondering these words. "Well, not that I'm complaining, ever since mayor Charles O'Kane's power became mostly representative, the Merchant Assembly has been on the rise, and by now their only rival to control of the city is the Noble Council. That powershift has been good for trade, and what's good for trade is good for me.
By the way, did you know that Embro Ambrath, head of one of the big merchant houses, recently bought himself the title of a lord? No? Guess how much he paid. Two million. Two million gold. I tell you, the nobles aren't happy about a glorified tailor having a seat on their Council - best don't say it that way though... well, anywhere. Even the walls have ears, and news travels fast in this city.
But well, enough politics. You want my advice - never get into that power struggle. Easy to make enemies, hard to make friends who won't sell you out in a heartbeat for minimal gain.
Know where some money is to make? Not easy money, mind you, otherwise it would long been gone. Sarbreen, capital of some Dwarven kingdom that was overthrown by orcs hundreds of years ago. They built Ravens Bluff right on top of it - pre-made sewers, economic choice! There's still lots of treasure down there. The first level has been stripped clean long ago I hear, but in the lower parts there's still a lot to find if you can brave decrepit corridors and whatever ugly things roam there. I'll make you a good price on any artifacts you find." His advice seemed more mercantile than altruistic; earlier he boasted that such items had the highest profit margins of everything he ships. Maybe he was just looking for some fools who risk their lifes so he can make easy money...
As you slowly reflect on this thought, you feel your eyelids getting heavy, and his voice now barely reaches your ears, seeming to come from far far away. "... So really, look into it...
Ah, I see it is finally working. Sorry, nothing personal, just business. I told you not to get into the cities politics, pity no one gave you this warning before it was too late..."
What was he talking about? As you slowly drift to sleep, you're left wondering how you seem to have unkowingly run afoul some influential enemy without even being in the city yet...

__________________________________________________ _____

Your sense for movement and noise returns slowly, and you notice you're lying on a hard wooden floor, unable to move. The ship's swaying from side to side can't be called gentle by any stretch of the word; it seems the storm outside has gotten stronger and the sounds of heavy rain, howling wind and crashing waves interspersed with occasional thunder reaching you seem to confirm that suspision.

When you finally manage to force your eyes open, you see you are below deck in a small compartment at the back, separated from the rest of the cargo hold by a wooden grill with a simple door. On the other side, a toppled over simple wooden chair slides back and forth occasionally when the ship leans sideways. Two seemingly magical torches illuminate the deck, though they are too far away to give your improvised prison more than twilight, with the shadows dancing wildly every time the ship was rocked by another wave.

You don't know how long you've been unconscious, but your captors evidently had enough time to strip you of weapons and armor. Iron manacles, some of them rusty from disuse, bind your hands and ropes around your feet prevent you from moving about freely. Once you had time to recover, you notice that Magnus shows no signs of awakening. And though for some reason he was placed several meters away from the rest of you, leaning with his back against an oaken barrel, you can clearly see the signs of physical punishment covering his body.

A sudden burst of laughter from perhaps half a dozen men rips you out of your contempation; the noise came from upstairs and now you concentrate on it, the laughter and bits of unintelligible conversation persist in volume and location.

All
everything registering as magical was taken from you in addition to weapons and armor

Candycorn
Whenever they manage to wake you up, you distinctly remember falling asleep during the feast without any physical confrontation

OOC I (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230538)
OOC II (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259287)
OOC III(current) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?287186)

Jeff the Green
2012-01-28, 10:26 PM
After a moment of futilely straining at her restraints, Mirielle lays back. "Gods dammit," she sighs. "'Never trust a Calimite sailor,' they said. 'Stop being racist,' I said. 'I'm not going to be drugged, tied up, and kept for gods know what reason,' I said. Dammit."

Mirielle looks around as best she can and calls softly "Is anyone else awake?"

Sallera
2012-01-28, 10:45 PM
Aya's eyes flicker open quickly as soon as she regains consciousness, and she wastes no time taking stock of the situation - or at least, beginning to, before being interrupted by a most unpleasant realization. The bastards took my bow! Thoughts of dire retribution echo through her mind for a while, at least until the ship shifts again and she rolls into a wall. Right, still out on the water. Probably still have a chance to get it back. Maneuvering herself into a sitting position with a few muttered imprecations, she resumes looking around the room. She was actually cold, something she hadn't felt in a long time; looking down at the thin socks covering her feet, she sighs forlornly. My boots? Really? Wriggling her toes to make sure they still work, she begins idly testing the bonds around her ankles for any signs of poor work while she feels around behind her, running her fingers along the hem of her shirt.

Should be right about... here! A grin flashes across her face as she slips one of the stitches loose and withdraws a pair of small lockpicks. They wouldn't likely be much use on her own manacles; the angle was difficult. But she wasn't the only one imprisoned here, either... as the silver woman's words conveniently demonstrated. An odd colour, now that she noticed it, although perhaps not as strange as her own. Sticking her tongue out with a mischievous grin, she bends forward, displaying the lockpicks, and rolls across the floor to the other woman.

"Awake and somewhat annoyed, yep. Name's Aya, by the way. You have some reason for being down here, or are you as confused as I am?" she replies softly, then tilts her head up and turns to face the other way. "You want to roll over so I can try that lock?"

Hopefully we have a couple minutes; assuming Mirielle cooperates, Aya will take 20 on the manacles for 25.

TheFallenOne
2012-01-28, 11:02 PM
nice touch with the boots :smallbiggrin:

Mirielle was the first to wake up, and her silent calls went unanswered for some painfully long minutes, vainly struggling as her expertly tied bonds - no surprise, given the occupation of your captors -refused to give a single inch.

With some fiddling, Aya retrieves her hidden lockpicks, and she manages to roll over to Mirielle without painfully bumping her nose more than once. The bonds and rocking boat make handling the fine tools somewhat difficult, but after some tries the lock finally opens with a click certainly not soft, given the rusty condition, but with the surrounding noise level the difference is moot.

Sallera
2012-01-28, 11:17 PM
"Ahaha! Got it!" Rolling over again, Aya twists her hands awkwardly backward and starts poking at her own manacles; it was far from easy, but the others still seemed to be unconscious, so there was no reason not to give it a try.

"Think you can get those ropes off?" she suggests to the other woman. "Being ambulatory would be a definite improvement for both of us."

Taking 20 again on her own manacles, if only to pass the time.

Jeff the Green
2012-01-29, 12:22 AM
Mirielle flexes her stiff wrists before going to work on the ropes binding the green woman. "Thanks for that," she says. "I'm Mirielle. And as confused as you are."

She's quiet for a moment.

"Seems like a lot of work for five people. Any noblemen you've annoyed lately?"

Use rope (or escape artist; they're the same) to undo the bindings: [roll0]

TheFallenOne
2012-01-29, 12:36 AM
no success on your own manacles

Untying the ropes works well enough on another person while your hands aren't restricted, though it's still quite tedious

Sallera
2012-01-29, 01:14 AM
"I hope not; that would make this little trip a lot more inconvenient. Still, who knows? Nothing comes to mind, but they're a touchy bunch." After a couple minutes of fiddling with the manacles, she sighs. "Can't get the last tumbler from this position. I hope I'm not the only one down here who knows locks."

Aya relaxes as Mirielle picks at the knots; hands bound or not, she'd feel a lot better once she could walk. And the floor was dry, at least. "So, I didn't see you around the ship much on the way here. What were you heading to the city for?"

Frog Dragon
2012-01-29, 05:09 AM
"Arg." Jorran mumbled as he stirred. "Going to kill him somehow..." It seems his sword, gauntlets, armor and pouches had been taken... along with everything in said pouches. Jorran was facing the wall, so he rolled over. Two of the others were already awake. "Morning." Jorran spoke in what was obviously an annoyed tone. As if he knew what time it was, given his apparently extended nap.

He flexed to sit up. Surprisingly hard while tied up. "Anyone know what's going on?"

Jeff the Green
2012-01-29, 09:20 AM
Good, Mirielle thinks. Don't think about what our captors want. Be productive. Even if "productive" is supposed to involve more books and fewer pirates.

She crawls over to the sour young man as quietly as she can and begins fumbling with his bindings. "Poison, if my memory can be trusted. Of course, if it was anything else, it probably couldn't be, so I don't know." She turns to Aya and says "You think you can get him undone? Those manacles look old; between the two of us we might be able to get you free."

Mirielle keeps talking as they work to free Jorran. "I'm here on church business," she says to Aya. "Kelemvor's church, specifically. I'm up north trying to find someone and heard he might be in Ravens Bluff." No need to let on who, or why, or what she plans to do with him. "What about you two?"

Cardea
2012-01-29, 09:26 AM
Keeva rolled over, groaning as she awoke. When she found that her hands didn't spread apart in her attempt to stretch, her eyes opened quickly, and she shuffled away from the voices in the room. She smiles and them, and holds up a finger in pause, as if gathering thoughts. She looks over at the woman unlocking the cuffs on the man. "Could I get you to do the same for me, hon?"

TheFallenOne
2012-01-29, 12:16 PM
Sallera
assuming you go about unlocking the others

Keeva and later Magnus prove easy enough. The lock on Jorran's restraints however is past your abilities. Whether that was a deliberate decision or they just randomly placed their one quality lock is beyond you.

Frog Dragon
2012-01-29, 01:48 PM
"Trying to find someone as well." Jorran responds to Mirielle behind him as she tries to open his bindings, being just as vague as she was with her explanation.

Jorran sighs as it becomes apparent that the lock in his manacles is beyond their abilities. At least the ropes were off. "Someone here's got to have the keys. Lets just break out." Jorran glanced at the door. It didn't look too tough. "Is he going to wake up anytime soon? Jorran looks at Magnus as he says that.

Jeff the Green
2012-01-29, 02:01 PM
"I don't know. Give me a minute to look at him." Mirielle gets up and dusts herself off. "Why don't you wrench the legs off of that chair to give us some weapons." She takes a moment to look at the man bent over the barrel, opening his eyes, running her hands over his wounds, and listening for a heartbeat.

Take 10 (total 13) for a general impression of Magnus's condition (is this something that can be fixed with a cure spell?); it it doesn't work, take 20 (23).

Sallera
2012-01-29, 03:40 PM
"I'm on my way over to look into a few things for a friend of mine," Aya replies as she picks at the manacles. "And I figure the Shooting Stars'll have some work for me while I'm there. Damnit, this one's not going anywhere," she adds from behind Jorran. "Doesn't feel like a normal lock."

Moving over to stand behind Keeva, she sets to work, having a much easier time of it. "This one, on the other hand... there we go. I can probably get the twice-tied victim there, as well, if someone wants to roll him over and hold his arms up. They'd not have done that if they had a second good lock. I don't suppose any of you know enough of locks to get mine off? The angle's not right to do it myself."

TheFallenOne
2012-01-29, 04:46 PM
With combined effort, you soon remove all the bindings holding you, except for the manacles on Aya and Jorran. Mirielle, experienced in the ways of healing, quickly notices that Magnus must have been brutalized while he was either unconscious or otherwise unable to move, though it seems they took care to just knock him out for a bit longer instead of doing lasting damage.

While you are occupied like this, a loud "YAHTZEE!" bellows from above, followed by barks of laughter. Appearantly your captors are quite enjoying themselves.

All
Frog Dragon, for the future, if a spoiler is adressed to someone only that player is supposed to read it

Magnus has a mix of lethal and nonlethal damage. Some healing magic should wake him up, though certainly with a headache.
The chair is on the other side of the grate, which has a currently locked door.

Candycorn
currently 12 lethal, 23 nonlethal damage. Wake up when appropriate

Jeff the Green
2012-01-29, 05:32 PM
Mirielle turns over her shoulder to look at Aya. "Not me, sorry," she says. "But give me a moment and I'll see if I can help you break them off. They look old enough."

Returning her attention to the injured man, she rolls up her sleeves and touches him on the forehead. With a few muttered nonsense syllables she feels the pulse of energy as it flows out of her fingertips. It feels good, and she shivers as it knits together the man's broken bones.

She steps back and asks "Can you hear me?"

Sacrifice augury to cast cure moderate wounds, which restores [roll0] HP.

candycorn
2012-01-29, 06:53 PM
@DM:Healing augmented by 4 points (level 2 spell, 1 essentia in the mantle) puts me to 0 lethal, 10 nonlethal

The healing seems to work wonders, but still Magnus grunts in pain as he tries to sit up. Then his foggy brain recalls the dinner, and the drugging, and he snaps into focus. Not terribly injured, but moreso than these fellows around me. There's quite a bit of blood matted in my beard, my injuries must have been much worse. Two of these folk are restrained, the rest are not. I still have my cloak and my bracers; I've been out less than a day. Nobody was killed, we were all restrained.

He winces as the person standing over him speaks, then replies in a slightly cracked voice, "Yes, I can hear you. Whichever of you healed me, you have my thanks. Does anyone need assistance with anything, before I go to discuss our refund with the ship's captain? I imagine he's less able to fight, if he resorted to tainting our wine. I also imagine that he and his crew need us alive for some reason, that or they have little stomach for killing. Either way, it works in our favor, when we head up there to question them."

Magnus stands, as a heavy hammer flies to his grasp. "Have I mentioned that I hate ships? All this rocking about isn't natural."

He walks to the other two cuffed individuals, somewhat unsteadily, before inspecting their bindings. "Provided these two aren't bound for a reason, it should be a simple matter to crack open the manacles, assuming you can remain still while I work."

Sallera
2012-01-29, 07:35 PM
"Aha, a weapon! That'll make this easier. Yeah, we're only stuck like this 'cause I can't reach my own lock properly, and he's got a tricky one. Just a minute...." Slipping the picks back into their hiding spot, Aya turns around and lays the manacles across the top of the barrel, keeping her hands as far apart as they'll go.

"Guess it'll be a bit noisy, but please do. If I've got my hands free, I can get the door open without any further smashing."

Cardea
2012-01-29, 08:59 PM
"Hey hey, woah, wait just a moment. C'mere, let me see if I can work somethin' on them that doesn't involve injury." Keeva says, reaching out and grasping hold of the chains between Aya's manacles. She squeezes, and whispers: "Inflixir danos luz."

Inflict Light Damage on Aya's Manacles.
Damage: [roll0]

candycorn
2012-01-29, 09:08 PM
Magnus looks a bit perturbed, and replies, "It may interest you to know that I am an accomplished armorer by trade. My hammer goes where I will it. When you are finished attempting to talk the chains off of her, I'll be more than happy to remove them."

TheFallenOne
2012-01-29, 09:11 PM
I'll say Inflict Damage works on items of metal or stone, ignoring first 10 points of hardness. It's not enough to get through the chain completely, but seems to weaken it enough for Aya to burst them(strength DC 22)

Sallera
2012-01-29, 09:59 PM
"Hmm... handy trick," Aya says, craning her neck to glance at the cracks and growing rust on the manacles. "I might be able to..." She yanks them apart with a brief clank. "...ow... get them off..." Another few attempts follow. "...eventually..." The chain finally snaps with a small jingle of links, and she brings her hands around to the front to inspect them. "There we go. Not entirely pleasant, but quieter than armoursmithery." The seven silver stars on her glove catch her eye, and she frowns. This mess doesn't have anything to do with you, does it?

Shaking her head, she retrieves her lockpicks again and sets to work on the door. "Maybe I should take a quick look around for keys before we go about smashing his. Or can you do that again?"

TheFallenOne
2012-01-29, 10:07 PM
Reaching through the gaps to access the lock puts you in an awkward position, but thankfully opening the lock proves within your capabilities, and you now have access to the rest of the hold, filled with barrels, crates, large clay jars and other stowed trade goods, leaving a small corridor in the middle to walk. The stairs, facing you, are some 40 feet away from your compartment.

Sallera
2012-01-29, 11:02 PM
Tucking the lockpicks away, Aya carefully opens the door, darting out into the hold after a quick look around. "Be back in a minute." Grabbing the chains to silence them, she pads forward, scanning the hold for their gear - not that she expected their captors to be that incompetent - and making her way over to the stairs. Passing them by at first, she checks behind them before gliding up the stairs to listen at the door.

Taking 10 on Hide and MS for 20 each.
A cursory Search: [roll0]
And Listen: [roll1]

TheFallenOne
2012-01-29, 11:13 PM
no equipment visible.

The stairs are 10 feet wide and lead to the next deck. There is no door.

Imagine the stairs are north of you; then the voices originate from south of the stairs, so they can't look down to your deck

edit: regarding Listen: right now they are just enjoying a game of dice, though if you keep listening for longer something useful might be heard

Sallera
2012-01-29, 11:24 PM
Sticking to the shadows of the staircase, Aya cautiously lifts her head up just far enough to scan the next deck, conscious of the contrast of her hair against the wooden decks. I hate sneaking around without a cloak. How many of you are we going to have to take out with one decent weapon among us?

Same Hide/MS as above, then, just trying to get a quick look around.

candycorn
2012-01-29, 11:42 PM
Magnus grows impatient, and whispers, "gather the torches, then follow behind me. I'll take point. If fighting erupts, we'll arm ourselves with whatever our captors above have."

He then walks to the doorway, taking up a position at the bottom of the stairs, blocking the doorway.

TheFallenOne
2012-01-29, 11:48 PM
Risking a quick glance up the deck, Aya sees five humans and a halfling sitting around a wide wooden table, playing a game of dice and holding onto their drinks; they likely wouldn't stay long if set down on the table. All of them are armored, though except one wearing splint mail rather lightly. From what she can tell, most if not all have some kind of weapon on their belts.
North of the stairs are two doors, though the stairs to the no doubt windswept deck is at the heck of the ship, directly above the compartment you were held in in fact.

Sallera
2012-01-30, 12:01 AM
Dropping down again, Aya lands next to Magnus, shaking her head. "Six of 'em, armed and armoured. What I wouldn't give for my bow..." she mutters, glancing at the crates around her. "Hold up a minute before you go charging in, alright? I'm not one for punching people to death." Poking around the various sundries in the hold, she searches for something worth taking.

Ideally, she'd want something small and hard or sharp she can throw, but she'd settle for a decent beating-stick. Not going to spend much time looking, just a minute or so.

Search: [roll0]

Also, is it shadowy enough up above that Aya could potentially reach those other doors north of the stairwell without being seen?

candycorn
2012-01-30, 12:30 AM
Magnus whispers back, "Only six? That's heartening. I'll wait here; do not tarry long. This hold is dark, and wet, and does not sit well with me. I would find what these cowards had planned for us, and standing next to hard tack and cargo nets doesn't answer any questions."

TheFallenOne
2012-01-30, 12:39 AM
no, no chance of that

A quick inspection shows that the crates Aya checked carried no weapons, with one exception: a finely crafted repeating crossbow, carved of ebony with golden inlays and two filled clips. Judging from the other items in the same crate, it must be some kind of antiquary, but it seems in good enough repair for combat.
Some fireplace pokers from another crate filled with household items might have some limited use in combat if push comes to shove too.
Lastly, another container reveals quite fancy women's clothing. Nothing useful for you now, though a pair of halfway practical looking sandals does look slightly tempting to the shoeless elf.

pokers are improvised light picks

Frog Dragon
2012-01-30, 12:39 AM
"Someone break these. This'll probably end in a brawl anyway." Jorran flexes against the manacles again, despite the futility of such an action. Jorran walked out of the improvised prison compartment and stopped to listen. How long until someone came to check on them? They better have their act together at that point.

He looks around for something he could use in two hands, a spare plank or something similarly large.

Sallera
2012-01-30, 12:58 AM
"Hey, shoes!" Aya murmurs. Slipping her feet into the sandals, she grimaces. "But not really made for feet my size. Bother. Beats getting a splinter, I guess." Tying the sandals to her feet with a spare length of black ribbon, she hangs one of of the fireplace pokers from her belt, leaving the crate open for the others to loot, and pries open a few more until she spies the crossbow.

"Oooh... wonder how old this is..." Lifting it from the crate admiringly, she checks the loading mechanism, then stuffs it into the box of clothing to muffle the sound and winds the crank. "Right then. This one's mine until they give me my bow back." And now that I'm holding this old thing, I want it back even more. I swear, if they've damaged it, I'm going to do the same to their spines.

Looking from Magnus to Jorran, she tilts her head in consideration. "Now, what's worth more, having you unbound, or keeping the element of surprise so I can stick a few bolts in them before they come down here?"

Heavy or light crossbow?

candycorn
2012-01-30, 01:30 AM
Magnus whispers back, "It may be better to have him free. I have an idea. One or two will likely come to investigate the noise. We let them in, and you four knock them out and arm yourselves. I'll block the stairwell after they enter the room, to prevent any more from getting in until you can prepare yourselves properly. That will let you surprise the first ones, get your bolts in them, and keep too many entering the fray to overwhelm us in open space. Sound good?"

Sallera
2012-01-30, 01:39 AM
Aya nods, cradling the crossbow. "Fair enough. I'll just be over here, then." Concealing herself in the space next to the stairs, Aya checks the crossbow's mechanisms once more, then settles into a sitting position with her back against the wall. With one leg dangling off a crate, she hardly makes for a dignified image, but her natural stillness and undistracted readiness bespeak a certain familiarity with lying in wait.

Taking 10 on Hide.

candycorn
2012-01-30, 01:49 AM
Magnus steps away from the door, and beckons Jorran over. He positions the manacles over a beam, and gives a swift blow to the locking mechanism.

wielding warhammer 2 handed, as I don't have my shield. Full round to line up the shot (auto hit).

Damage: [roll0]

If needed, a second blow: [roll1]

DM:In advance, starting maneuvers for the upcoming fight, just in case:
[roll2] - Crusader Strike
[roll3] - Vanguard Strike
[roll4] - Leading the Attack

Currently in Martial Spirit stance.

Maneuvers are selected, counting from the top, from the list on my sheet, skipping maneuvers that are already granted.

TheFallenOne
2012-01-30, 01:56 AM
Listen checks for those close to the stairs

Sallera
2012-01-30, 03:40 AM
Briefly setting the crossbow down on her knee, Aya points toward the voices and holds up one finger, then mimes catching something before taking up the weapon and aiming at the top of the staircase.

Readying an action to shoot the incoming sailor if he looks like he's about to say anything. Is the crossbow heavy or light? (Also, masterwork or just fancy?)

candycorn
2012-01-30, 04:46 AM
Magnus pays attention to the door from a short distance to the side of it, listening as best he can, and preparing to move in behind anyone who enters.

Mechanics:Up to 15 feet from the stairs, if possible, favoring the side farthest from the torch, provided it has a clear path to move.

If I'm allowed to ready at this point, ready action to move to block the stairs after I see someone enter the room, travel at least 5 feet from the entry, with nobody visible behind them.

Frog Dragon
2012-01-30, 06:08 AM
I assume the manacles were successfully sundered?

--

Jeff the Green
2012-01-30, 10:51 AM
As Magnus swings at the manacles, Mirielle dashes into the passage. She grabs one of the pokers that Aya turned up and hefts it a few times to get a feel for it, and then ducks behind Jorran. "When they come in," she whispers. "I'm going to touch you on the arm and cast a spell to give you some better protection. I'd do it now, but they might see it. Don't get jumpy on me."

Readying an action to cast shield of faith on Jorran.
Hide: [roll0]

candycorn
2012-01-30, 11:39 AM
Seeing Jorran take up position by the doorway, Magnus curses under his breath, and advances to the other side of the door, glaring at him, and hissing, "You were supposed to wait until they came in to get close! That way, they're stuck in the room. Now we'll have to drop this guy quickly, and I'll have to stand fast on the stairs while you get a proper weapon!"

Mechanics:Hide: [roll0]

Cardea
2012-01-30, 11:50 AM
Keeva looks into the crate and pulls out a poker, grimacing at not having 'mobile ballista'. She sets it back in as she looks around in the other containers, grabbing the clothing and claiming it for herself. She tucks it into a ball under her left arm, and makes her way over to Aya. She grasps the crossbow, and whispers under her breath: "Arma maxica." She moves back into the cell, making sure that it looks like she's still locked up.

Casting Magic Weapon on Aya's Repeating Crossbow. Its a +1 Repeating Crossbow now.

TheFallenOne
2012-01-30, 03:53 PM
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4560/ship2r.png

this is roughly what things look like on your deck. Stairs lead up and north. Grey is the door. Dark brown assorted trade goods

Sallera
2012-01-30, 04:11 PM
Nodding her thanks to Keeva as she feels the crossbow lighten and stabilize itself, Aya nonetheless rolls her eyes at the disorganization in the rest of the group. It's a good thing we've got surprise on our side, but we won't much longer at this rate.

Waving a hand to catch their attention, she jabs a finger at the upper deck again, then holds it to her lips for silence. With a brief glare, she waves them away from the bottom of the stairs, hoping the rest will get the idea in the few seconds before the approaching sailor comes into view.

TheFallenOne
2012-01-30, 04:27 PM
You hear a chair slide back, though immediately after the instructions from the seeming leader an argument seems to break out; the volume of their voices makes it somewhat easier to understand. Appearantly they are in disagreement about notifying others on the ship about the unusual noise below because they'd get in trouble for not leaving a guard there as instructed.

Aya's warning comes too late, and the sailor, only halfway down the stairs, stops dead in his tracks and calls out "They've broken out!"

hiding now wouldn't have made a difference anymore, he'd have noticed the crates you left open after plundering them

He's at C6. Initiative is

Aya
Keeva
sailor
Jorran
Magnus
Mirielle

actions from Aya and Keeva please

Sallera
2012-01-30, 05:09 PM
Grimacing at the sailor's yell, Aya releases a shot into his back, slipping off the crate as she flicks the reloading lever and ducking down against the side of the staircase. Should have let me snipe them. Hope this bunch knows their way around a fight, 'cause now we need to take down five or six before that bodyguard gets here.

Hrm, so even though she knows he's coming and has a weapon ready, there's no way to shoot him before he says anything? Inconvenient.

Well, if it's all we can do, we'll just try to deal with him quickly, I guess.
Single shot with the crossbow, sniping attempt. 5ft step to E6.
Attack: [roll0] (not including any hiding bonus)
Damage: [roll1]
Hide: [roll2]

Cardea
2012-01-31, 08:08 PM
Keeva stands out from the cell, and raises a hand and a finger at the man, smiling as Aya's bolt flies forward.

TheFallenOne
2012-01-31, 08:32 PM
The crossbow bolt pierces through the man's arm and his warning turns into a scream of pain. He staggers backward out of sight, and you hear multiple chairs being pushed back or toppled over.
"Damn, now we really need to alert the others."
"Are you crazy? Asam will throw us out if he learns how we screwed up here!"
"Guys, settle down. They're unarmed, we can still fix this on our own."
"Unarmed? What do you call this then?" You recogize the voice of the man who came down the stairs, and though you can't see him anymore, you have the distinct impression he's pointing at the quarrel sticking out of his flesh as he says this.

They spend their turn standing up, maybe drawing weapons, and bickering. Entire party can act

DM only
if party doesn't ger aggressive themselves they will
1 call for help and hold position
2 go on the offensive
[roll0]

Sallera
2012-01-31, 08:53 PM
Aya shrugs, hopping back up onto the crate and leveling the crossbow at the staircase. You want to solve this alone? Come on, then, and welcome. Save me the trouble of hunting you.

Move to F7 (Jump to hop up, if required: [roll0]). Ready action to shoot the first sailor down the stairs.

candycorn
2012-01-31, 09:04 PM
Magnus

Magnus's action, when appropriate (any can read):On his turn Magnus will drop his warhammer, move to the top of the stairs, and ready an action to use maneuver: (Leading the Attack) on the first armed foe to enter his reach.

Prior to readying an action, he'll chuckle, and say: "I don't need a weapon to put you miserable curs on the ground. Which of you is to be first?"

Magnus's Turn at a glance:
Began at: B8
Moved to: C6 (on stairs)

Current HP: 31/31 (10 nonlethal damage)
Current DR: 6/magic (astral vambraces, 2 essentia)
Current Stance: Martial Spirit
Melds Shaped: Incarnate Weapon (1 essentia), Astral Vambraces (Expanded, 2 essentia), Therapeutic Mantle (1 essentia)

Armed with: Fists
Readied action: Use Maneuver: Leading the Attack: First foe in reach

Jeff the Green
2012-02-01, 12:26 PM
Mirielle swears at having been caught. She spends several seconds swearing, actually, and manages to invoke the names of at least seven dead gods.

As she curses, she draws divine energy into her body. Just as she feels about to burst, she touches Jorran on the shoulder and the two of them explode in a dazzling light. When it recedes, Jorran is covered in an undulating field of light and Mirielle wears a shimmering suit of armor.

She then hustles to stand next to Magnus and echoes his challenge to the sailors. "Aye. If you'd left me my mace you'd be standing before the Judge of the Damned as soon as you could breathe. Now you get two breaths." She tries to look fearsome, something she's had little practice at. Her armor, she decides, helps on that front, but her disheveled hair and spectacles most certainly do not.

DMM Quickened shield of faith on Jorran (+2 deflection AC), luminous armor on self (+5 armor AC, -4 to opponents' melee attacks, light as daylight), move from D9 to D5.

Knowledge (Local) for Knowledge Devotion: [roll0]
+2 to attacks and damage

Frog Dragon
2012-02-02, 01:57 PM
"Give your boss a welcome in hell, willya?" Jorran yells after the guard. Then he hustled over to pick up the woodaxe. It was quite awkward to wield, especially when handcuffed, but it was still a weapon. Then he got up the stairs, accepting Mirielle's spell.

I don't know the location of the woodaxe, and I'm not sure where I would've started the turn, but I doubt it much matters, given my 40ft speed. End at D6 anyway. Start at 9B or something? Also, if someone or something tries to attack Jorran during the next round, he will activate Ferocity before it hits (Immediate action). If not, I'm activating it anyway on my next turn.

AC (after Ferocity): 15

TheFallenOne
2012-02-03, 10:19 AM
Keeva, with no suitable weapon at hand and a fight in sight, decides to don one of the thick coats to at least have some measure of protection before joining the melee.

Party Status:
Aya F7
Jorran C6(acted first so I give him the spot both wanted)
Keeva C10
Magnus D6
Mirielle D5

When Jorran and Magnus took the stairs, one of the sailors charged at the latter with a shortsword, only to be reprimanded by their leader before his blade even connected. "You fool, Tirosh said small blades don't work on that one!"
The halfling, ignoring the small throwing knife in his hand, instead drew an alchemist fire and tossed it at Magnus, showering enemy and ally with flaming liquid.
Their heavily armored leader jumped down to the lower half of the stairs and tried to bring Magnus off his feet by wrapping the chain of his twohanded flail around his leg and then pulling back.
The last two, one of which was a halfelf on closer inspection, went to the left of the stairs to attack Jorran with cutlass and a pair of punching daggers. The halfblood went through an exposed position to strike Jorran from a spot he couldn't well defend against.

Sailor 1: move to E4(top), attack Magnus
[roll0] [roll1]
Sailor 2: move to C5(top), attack Magnus
[roll2] [roll3] 2 splash to Jorran and sailor 1 if hit
Sailor 3: move to D7(bottom), Improved Trip on Magnus
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7] PA for 2
Sailor 4: move to B3(top), attack Jorran
[roll8] [roll9]
Sailor 5: move to C2. Tumble DC 25 or eat AoO from Jorran [roll10]
[roll11] [roll12] [roll13]

Party's turn

Sallera
2012-02-03, 11:58 AM
"Heh. Never lock your enemies in with your trade goods." Snapping a bolt into the leader's leg as he jumps down the stairs, Aya flicks the lever and repositions, sending another two quick shots at his body as he grapples with Magnus, although the weapon's unfamiliar recoil throws off her aim.

Grumbling, she adds "And if you don't tell me where you hid my bow, I'll not bother stopping you from bleeding to death after we fill you with holes."

Readied shot at Sailor 3: [roll0]

On Aya's turn, 5ft step to F8 and Rapid Shot at the same one.
Attack 1: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
Attack 2: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Jeff the Green
2012-02-03, 12:58 PM
"Or even worse," Mirielle says, dashing around the stairs, "she'll have me do it. And I have a lot more experience embalming bodies than treating injuries." That's scary, right? I think that was scary.

She awkwardly swings at the leader's legs with the poker. Her blow just bounces off his armor, but hopefully it at least distracts him so Magnus and Jorran can take care of him.

Move to E7, attack Sailor 3.
Attack (including non-proficiency penalty): [roll0]
Damage (wielding two-handed): [roll1]

Frog Dragon
2012-02-03, 01:01 PM
Jorran snarled. It was Luskan all over again. He was poorly armed and unarmored. They were armed professionals.

They were all going to die.

The flask broke next to him, spraying him with flaming chemicals. He was past caring. He evaded the sailor's attack in his frenzy, swinging wildly at the other sailor trying to move past him, instinctively recognizing the opening. Then, without even pausing to see if the sailor was hurt, he hacked at him a second time.

Both attacks directed at Jorran miss. Take one point from the alchemist fire. Jorran activates ferocity when sailor 4 tries to attack him.
AoO (at sailor 5): [roll0]
Then he attacks sailor 5 a second time on his own turn.
Attack: [roll2]

Attack bonus sucks right now. Aren't handcuffs and improvised weapons great?

Cardea
2012-02-03, 01:44 PM
Keeva, an idea sparking, moves fast, hauling herself around the fight at the stairs, so she's behind it all.

Double move action to move to C2.

candycorn
2012-02-03, 03:38 PM
Magnus feels the sting of the alchemist's fire, and looks, shocked, at the sailor. "Your life depends on the WOODEN ship you stand upon, and you start lighting fires!? Are you daft!? After all the effort to take to keep us alive, you try to kill us all?"

Magnus feels the goes down to the trip attack, grunting. No sooner does he hit the deck, however, than his warhammer skitters across the deck, flying to Magnus's waiting hand. Magnus smiles a predatory grin, standing up, and swings at the heavily armored tripper, after gripping his hammer firmly in two hands.

Crusader Strike
Attack: [roll0] (+1 essentia, +1 furious counterstrike, +1 higher ground, -1 Stone power)

If hit:
Healing: [roll2] At Jorran

End of round, I have my last maneuver granted me. Alchemist's fire damage absorbed into 2 Temp HP from Stone Power.

TheFallenOne
2012-02-03, 11:10 PM
The halfling paused, answering Magnus defensively "That stuff expires so fast it won't have any..." but he was immediately cut off by their leader after he janked out Aya's first crossbow bolt that pierced his leg armor. "Ignore their bickering, just take them down!"
He directed another powerful swing at Magnus when he tried to stand up, and the other attacker followed suit, though a lot less vigorously after his first charge brought him a split lip and broken nose.

AoOs
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3] crit [roll4] [roll5]

Now knowing how little effect his blade would have, the wounded man wanted to go after Jorran instead, but the ship's sideway tilt made the move more difficult and he lost a lot of time trying to avoid giving Magnus an opening.
Meanwhile, the halfling tossed the throwing knife in his hand at Jorran with a flick of his wrist. The other two men engaged to him kept attacking, the halfelf driving both of his bladed fists forward at the bound man.
Their leader, seeing himself caught between multiple attackers, went after Mirielle, trying to throw her off balance to deliver a powerful blow. The last man, heedful of his wounds, decided to keep his distance and fired a shot at Jorran.

Sailor 1 withdraws to B2(top), avoiding AoOs
Sailor 2 attacks Jorran [roll6] [roll7]
Sailor 3 Improved Trip on Mirielle
[roll8] [roll9]
[roll10] [roll11]
Sailor 4 attacks Jorran
[roll12] [roll13]
Sailor 5 uses TWF
attack 1 [roll14] [roll15] [roll16]
attack 2 [roll17] [roll18] [roll19]
Sailor 6 moves to E5, attacks Jorran
[roll20] [roll21]

level ground again

candycorn
2012-02-03, 11:25 PM
Magnus grunts as the massive weapon landed home, but soldiered on, undaunted. He growled, "I'm not so easy to hurt when I can defend myself. Try THIS!"

Magnus swings his warhammer again, trying to connect on the armored man below. "One of you below, Flank this guy!"

Mechanic:Timing: DR 6 reduced 12 damage hit to 6, 5 soaked into delay pool, one soaked by the Stone power Temp HP.

Attack: Vanguard Strike [roll0] (+1 essentia, +1 high ground, +1 furious counterstrike)
Damage: [roll1] (+4 str, +1 essentia, +1 furious counterstrike)
Heal Jorran for 2, if hit.
Delay pool resolves, take 5 damage.
End of round, cannot recover any maneuvers, gain 3 new maneuvers.
[roll2] [roll3] [roll4]
Vital Recovery heals me for 7, negating all damage I just took. Current HP: 31/31 (0 nonlethal).

Vital recovery: 2+ 3 (Character level) +2 (essentia for healing effect)

EDIT: If Vanguard strike hits, next round's attacks give all allies +4 to hit the guy I struck.

Jeff the Green
2012-02-03, 11:52 PM
Mirielle whispers a short prayer in thanks as the sailor in scale mail barely misses wrapping around her leg. Acting on the opening offered by Magnus's attack, she steps around him and swings her poker into the head sailor's torso.

Five foot step to D8, attack Sailor 3: [roll0]

Frog Dragon
2012-02-04, 12:21 AM
While Jorran still evaded everything else thrown at him, the bloody halfblood with the daggers actually managed to hurt him. Jorran raised the woodaxe above his head as its head somehow ignited. He brought it down on the half-elf in another frenzied assault.

32 Hitpoints now.

Initiate Burning Blade, continue attacking the half elf.
Attack: [roll0]
Fire Damage: [roll2]

OOC: I wonder how this half-elf guy is getting SA:s on me. A flanking feat maybe?

Sallera
2012-02-04, 01:41 AM
Lining up her last shot as Magnus spins the sailor around, Aya releases the bolt into his back, then tosses the empty case. I really shouldn't be complaining, but this is such a cumbersome weapon. It's a good thing that armoursmith's skills work on his own skin.

Last shot for this case, at Sailor 3 again.

Cardea
2012-02-06, 07:54 PM
Keeva runs forward at the one of the flankers, her hand growing more and more with an orange glow. She tries to grasp one of the man's weapons as she shouts: "Inflixir danos moderados!"

Move to D5, using Inflict Moderate Damage on one of the man's weapons at C5.

Opposed Attack Roll (I hope I can hit for touch with this): [roll0]

TheFallenOne
2012-02-07, 02:48 AM
Keeva's attempt on the weapon is blocked by the interposing stairs, but Magnus's hammer brings their leader off balance with a heavy blow, giving Mirielle an opening to strike true as well. Finally, Aya's shot pierces his shoulder and he looks close to collapsing, grabbing the stairs' railing to remain on his feet.
When Jorran's retalatory strike suddenly was wreathed with flames the halfelf panicked, and to his ill fortune punching daggers aren't the ideal weapon for blocking. The downward swing cleanly cuts off his right hand before the axehead lodges itself in the man's chest.

At this, you hear someone cry out and the currently unengaged sailor drops his crossbow and hurries over to the fallen man, trying to stop his bleeding. Two others attacked Jorran with fury after seeing their comrade fall. The halfling joined in as well, tossing a flask at him that soon proved to be filled with sizzling acid. Their leader though took a defensive position, hoping for relief from the others instead of risking the little life left in him.

Sailor 1: attack Jorran
[roll0] [roll1]
Sailor 2: fraw acid, attack Jorran
[roll2] [roll]1d6[roll]
Sailor 3: total defense
Sailor 4: attack Jorran
[roll3] [roll4]
Sailor 5: bleeding
Sailor 6: move to B2 [roll5]
Jorran may take an AoO for this if he wishes

level ground again

candycorn
2012-02-07, 03:02 AM
Magnus steels himself, resigned to the fact that none wished to meet steel with him, instead choosing to wait for the perfect moment to strike. He also looks at the armored one and speaks, "Is the fight out of you so soon? I promise you that I will do you no harm, if you but lay down arms. I have no stomach to kill every sailor on this ship; it would be difficult to dock if I did. If you force me, though, I believe I can summon the skill needed to run this ship aground near Raven's Bluff and swim to shore, if I must send you to your gods this day."

Mechanics: Ready action: Strike the first enemy within my reach that attacks Jorran with Vanguard Strike.

New Maneuver: [roll0]

Jeff the Green
2012-02-07, 07:51 AM
Mirielle notices the sailor's ineptitude at healing and decides to use it as a bargaining chip. "Agreed. Throw your weapons to the bottom deck and back away, and I will heal that one." Mirielle glances at her new allies. "And we promise not to harm the rest of you."

Mirielle watches the sailors nervously, readying herself to attack if they don't.

Readying an action to attack the leader if any sailor attacks anyone.

Sallera
2012-02-07, 12:14 PM
"It's a fair deal, I'd say," Aya adds with a grin, reloading the crossbow with measured aplomb. "Because if you don't..." The bolt case clicks into place, and she levels the weapon at the leader's head. "...well, you're sailors. I'm sure you have a pretty good imagination."

Full-round action to reload.

TheFallenOne
2012-02-07, 12:17 PM
before they can react to any of this I need to see whether Jorran takes the AoO and what effect it has. Keep in mind he has to make this decision before these attempts at negotiation happen

also, skill check from Magnus. Could be either Intimidate or Diplomacy, seeing what he said... your choice

candycorn
2012-02-07, 03:04 PM
@TFO:Wasn't aiming to modify his attitude or actions with words, just to inform him that his situation is less than hopeful, and provide him with a way out that keeps him breathing. The total defense action already told me he was worried about his life, and keeping it.

However, if a skill check need be made for it, Intimidate: [roll0]

TheFallenOne
2012-02-08, 12:51 AM
I generally give greater weight to what was said than to the skill roll. The latter mostly determines how well things were delivered.

Frog Dragon
2012-02-08, 07:49 AM
Jorran narrowly avoids a telling hit, getting a minor graze for his efforts. The acid hits him, but the pain is dulled. He notices undefended movement by the side, and takes another swing, this time at the sailor trying to heal his companion.

He very nearly continues his assault as the others try to end the fight, but keeps himself in check. He keeps the axe ready to strike, keeping guard against the man with the shortsword.

The AOO happens before any negotiation starts.

AOO Attack: [roll0]

Ready action to axe Sailor #1 if the offer to surrender is not accepted and the fight continues.

TheFallenOne
2012-02-08, 12:21 PM
well, rarely you fell bad about scoring a max damage hit... That was the one previously wounded by the crossbow, the axeblow kills him instantly

Jorran's axe cuts through the man's belly, severing his spine judging from the weird angle his body has when he hit the deck. The others pause in shock, and any attempt at negotiation falls on deaf ears. "He killed Karl and Miron! Screw Asam's orders, gut them!" the one in front of Jorran calls out.

it is difficult to judge if the first one down is indeed dead without taking time to examine him. What is clear is that the blow is fatal if he isn't healed very soon

Keeva still missing. The rest can resolve their readied actions as they will continue the fight

Frog Dragon
2012-02-08, 01:11 PM
"You feel free to give that a try." Jorran brings his axe down immediately, utilizing the same overhead swing that so easily cut down the half-elf.

Jeff the Green
2012-02-08, 01:22 PM
Well, bugger that. Attacking sailor 3.

Edit: A swing and a miss.

TheFallenOne
2012-02-09, 08:21 AM
Jorran nearly eviscerates yet another sailor but the dull axe fails to penetrate the reinforced leather armor, though the impact still audibly breaks several bones.
All three men attack Jorran and Magnus furiously, heedless of their bad chances in their anger. The halfling, meanwhile, advances to the left of the stairs and seeing the little effect corporal punishment had on Magnus, he instead tried a bag that exploded with sticky liquid when it burst.

Sailor 1: attack Jorran
attack [roll0] [roll1]
Sailor 2: move to A3(top), toss tangle bad at Magnus
touch - [roll2] you get +4 cover AC
Sailor 3: trip Magnus
[roll3] [roll4]
[roll5] [roll6]
Sailor 4: attack Jorran
attack - [roll7] [roll8]

Keeva delayed and is now at the top of the initiative order

Cardea
2012-02-09, 08:42 AM
Keeva moves over to the side of the stairs, casting her next infusion, praying this next one does something. "Inflixir danos luz."

Casting Inflict Light Damage on the 'ceiling'. Its the floor to the Sailor at B6.
Attack, if needed: [roll0]

Frog Dragon
2012-02-09, 11:15 AM
Jorran flinched from his wounds. The fury of his enemies had given them clarity, and they cut him with surprising accuracy. By now, Jorran was visibly injured and bleeding. The cutlass in particular had left a wide gash in his side. But Jorran had already cut down two, and he could repeat that performance. He swung again at the already injured man, hoping to take him down.

HP: 15 now

candycorn
2012-02-09, 11:36 AM
Magnus sees his opening, as the first sailor takes aim at Jorran, and brings his hammer around in a swift backhand. He then ducks a tanglefoot bag, and attempts to keep his feet, amidst the tilting ship, and the near constant weapon hooking at his leg. He fails to do so, and as he falls on his back, he takes a vicious followup blow, tearing through his defenses...

Readied action: Attack: [roll0]
If hit, all allies get +4 to hit sailor 1, and Jorran heals 2.

Trip resist: [roll2]

Failed, take 27 damage from crit, -5 in delay pool, -6 from DR.

Current: 15/31, 5/5 delay pool

And if I'd had my armor, that would have only been a 5 damage hit, after my DR and delay pool. As is, it's a 16 damage hit, after both.

candycorn
2012-02-09, 11:48 AM
Magnus steadies himself, and attempts to regain his feet, heedless of the openings he provides. "Suit yourselves. After I feed your corpses to the sea, I'll run this boat into the ground. Your life's work shall be undone in five minutes."

He then takes aim at the tripper, attempting to bring him down quickly.

Mechanics:Stand, provoking AoOs.
Crusader Strike on Tripper.

Attack:[roll0] (+3 str, +2 bab, +1 high ground, +1 furious counterstrike, +1 essentia in Incarnate weapon)
If hit, self-heal [roll2] (1d6+2 Crusader strike + 3 therapeutic mantle, + 2 Martial Spirit, +3 therapeutic mantle)

If crit threat: [roll3]
Additional damage, if needed: [roll4]

EDIT:

HP: 26/31, delay pool 0.

Sallera
2012-02-09, 11:53 AM
Glaring at the sailor bedeviling Magnus, Aya shifts her aim to his head. Rrgh... I wanted to save some ammo, but I can't let the armoursmith get squished. Surely I can't miss too much at this range, even with this cursed crossbow.

Loosing a shot at the back of his head, she deliberately jerks her aim down to his shoulderblades for the second, trying to compensate for the recoil.

Rapid Shot at Sailor 3.
Attack 1: [roll0]

Attack 2: [roll2]

Jeff the Green
2012-02-09, 02:07 PM
"Idiots," Mirielle mutters. "Well, you better be ready to stand before the Crystal Spire."

Mirielle shakes her head to dispel her regret and pity, and takes another swing at the leader.

Edit: I don't think I've had an encounter with rolls this bad since middle school. :smallsigh:

TheFallenOne
2012-02-09, 03:08 PM
Keeva produces cracks in the wood above her, but it's still sturdy enough to give the sailors on top solid ground. Aya's shots missed their intended target when the leader bent forward for a powerful swing aimed at Magnus as he tried to regain his feet. But all this did was giving him one second longer to live, as Magnus's retalatory strike hit him squarely on the head and caved his skull in with a sickening crunch. The two men fighting Jorran keep going at him in futile desperation, but the halfling seems to realize the fight is lost. Measuring the distance to the stairs in the back, he decides to go to the closer door instead, but finds it locked and hammers against it with his small fists, pleading to be let in.

AoOs on Magnus
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

attacks on Jorran
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]

Cardea
2012-02-09, 03:18 PM
Keeva braces herself for the fall, and commits her energy to fractures and cracks one last time. "Inflixir danos luz."

On the floorboards of B6 still. I'm at B5.
Attack Roll: [roll0]

Sallera
2012-02-09, 04:53 PM
Okay, so apparently he's not that easy to squish. If I ever need to fight him, I'll have to make sure to dump him in a pit or something first. Hopping off the crate, Aya pulls the poker from her belt. "Head down again, armoursmith."

Flipping it around for a better grip, she swings sidehand, sending the metal bar spinning up the stairs toward the injured sailor.

With Precise Shot and Far Shot, this actually has almost the same chances of hitting, and I want to save ammo. :smalltongue:

5ft step to E7, draw poker, throw at Sailor... whichever that is. The one Jorran's been swinging at.

Frog Dragon
2012-02-09, 04:55 PM
Since I activated my ferocity during the opponents' turn, I imagine it also ends during the opponents' turn. That means I have 2 more rounds of raging left.

This time, Jorran deftly evades the attacks directed at him. He pulls back on his footing, axe at the ready. "Regrets?" Jorran quipped, mustering his most vicious tone. He put his weight behind a two handed diagonal axeblow, trying take down the already injured sailor.

Attack Sailor 1: [roll0]

candycorn
2012-02-09, 08:47 PM
Magnus shakes his bloody head, to clear it from the last flailing he received, ducking as a poker whizzes past his head, before pointing at Jorran and speaking, "You! Stop playing with that woodcutter's toy! There's a perfectly good flail that this one won't need anymore. And as for you, halfling... It seems your friends abandoned you. I will spare your life, but only if you lay down arms NOW and face that wall, with hands above your head."

Magnus then steps forward, and brings his weapon to bear on the next sailor.

Mechanics:Leading the charge, on the nearest sailor.

If I hit, all allies get +4 to hit this one, and I heal 5.

Current life: 19/31, 0/5 in damage pool

End of turn, recover maneuvers.

[roll2], [roll3], [roll4]

Jeff the Green
2012-02-10, 01:48 PM
Going to assume I delayed until after the sailors and am now first in initiative.

Mirielle feels a brief exultation as the leader drops, but then chastises herself. Stop that. It wasn't his time any more than it's yours.

Shaking her head, she calls upon Kelemvor to quicken her steps and dashes up the stairs, around the sailors attacking Jorran, and drives her poker hard into the back of the sword-wielding sailor's skull.

Travel devotion + move to A1 (top), avoiding AoOs, attack sailor 1.
Edit: Critical hit, total of 38 damage

TheFallenOne
2012-02-10, 02:55 PM
Travel devotion + move to A1 (top), avoiding AoOs, attack sailor 1.

activating Travel Devotion and using Travel Devotion are both swift actions, so that won't work. Which is good for you, as the fight is done anyway. You do get an AoO though as I see no way you can reach the upper deck without leaving a threatened square

[roll0] [roll1]

The halfling complies - sort of. Instead of facing the wall, he cowers in the corner, wimpering. The remaining resistance is quickly crushed as Mirielle sinks her poker right in the eye of one sailor and then rips it out again sideways, splitting the man's skull in half. The other one loses his balance as the ground under him buckles, though not breaks, and dropping to his knees from the unexpected bending floor he has no chance of evading Magnus's hammer. Only the halfling is left breathing, and after the sound of fighting and dieing ceased his pleading, though unintelligible, seems to become more desperate.

Sallera
2012-02-10, 03:06 PM
"Nice swing, Mirielle." Hanging the crossbow from her belt, Aya checks the other side of the stairs for any reusable bolts, then joins the others at the top.

"S'pose with all the noise, someone else might have heard, even with the storm. That little guy looks a bit... useless, so how about you break the berserker's chains here while I take a look in the door he wasn't going for?"

[roll0] for broken ammunition
Aya will take 20 on Open Lock on the second door, if it's locked.

TheFallenOne
2012-02-10, 03:25 PM
After the rather simply lock is removed, the right door reveals what must be the ship's storeroom. The shelves and barrels filled with assorted foodstuff are right now rather hard to reach for a quite joyous reason - the little piece of usually empty floor is taken up by five bundles that reveal the equipment taken from you, neatly sorted and rolled inside a thick piece of cloth each.

Jeff the Green
2012-02-10, 04:24 PM
Mirielle retches as she drops the brain-spatterred poker on the ground next to her victim. The only thing keeping her from vomiting is her empty stomach. Once she recovers, she walks over to the halfling and crouches down to look him in the eye.

"Listen, we're not going to hurt you. If they'd surrendered we wouldn't have had to hurt your friends either." Mirielle sighs. "Can I look at your wounds?"

Diplomacy (if necessary): [roll0]
Heal to see if any wounds need treatment immediately: [roll1]

Frog Dragon
2012-02-10, 04:57 PM
"Name's Jorran, not 'Berserker'." The fight was over and he was quick to get himself back under control. He glanced at the deck. He dropped the woodcutter's axe, feeling progressively calmer. He could think clearly again. He'd have to find that Asam fella, if only to figure out why this happened. This group probably thought the same. They might be a useful means to an end. He was painfully aware that had he been alone, these people could probably have detained him for quite a while. He hated this Asam already, but he was clearly not to be trifled with.

Maybe the priestess would have to wait.

Cardea
2012-02-10, 04:57 PM
Keeva walks up to join Aya and the others. Keeping mental notes, she had one more 'charge' left in her, and it'd have to be saved for later. She shudders at the gruesome sight, as she joins Aya over at the doorway, and freezes when she sees the bundles on the floor. She squeels when she realizes what they are. She shoves herself past Aya into the storeroom, picking up her bundle. She takes her crossbow out, hugging the tiny ballista to her chest, checking for the wand inside. "Oh, c'mere you. Been missin' you, I have."

Sallera
2012-02-10, 05:02 PM
"Ahaha! There it is!" Immediately snatching her own equipment, Aya carries it out into the hallway and unrolls the bundle, carefully running her hands over every inch of the bowstave. "Good, it's unharmed. Their spines are safe... for now." Giggling, Aya kicks off the makeshift sandals and slips on her boots, donning armour and cloak and restringing the bow while Mirielle attempts to deal with the halfling.

"Ah, I'm feeling a lot more magnanimous now that I'm fully dressed. Bit late for those five, though." Dropping to one knee next to Mirielle, she inspects the cleric and the halfling. "I guess we want to get Asam's hidey-hole out of him so we can have a chat, eh? Don't want the armoursmith to actually have to run the ship aground."

"You know, you're kinda squeamish for a priestess of Kelemvor. Don't you see dead people all the time?"

candycorn
2012-02-10, 05:03 PM
Even as Magnus hammers open Jorran's bindings, he glances at Mirielle, and scoffs. "Speak for yourself. I fully intend to hurt this one. I only promised to spare the halfling's LIFE, not spare the wretch pain. It's not safe to leave someone who just tried to kill us at our backs. I have no wish to kill anyone who lays down arms, but I am no fool to accept a false surrender and later regret it. Unconsciousness and binding was good enough for us, so it's good enough for this one... Unless, that is, he can demonstrate his cooperation with our rightful attempt to release ourselves from this clumsy shanghai attempt. What information can you provide us, little one?"

After freeing Jorran, he peruses his gear. "Excellent. Would someone assist me getting into my armor? Something tells me this isn't our last encounter with hostile pirates here, and I'd rather face the rest a bit more prepared."

Intimidate (if necessary):[roll0]

Frog Dragon
2012-02-10, 05:23 PM
"Yes." Jorran nods, swinging his finally freed arms around by the shoulder a few times. "Tell us everything you know about your employer, where he is and what he's after." He walks over to his cloth roll of equipment while continuing to speak. "I know what your boss may 'ave told you. I know his kind." He picks up the chain shirt, armoring himself while he speaks. "And he has nothing on us." He spits out. "You'll tell us everything you know, because we're in control now." He approaches the halfling, half-dressed in his chain mail. "Best make yourself damn useful, or you'll have more in common with your friends than you'd like." He adjusts the padding in his chain shirt, turning back to the storeroom.

Intimidate as well, if needed: [roll0]

Jeff the Green
2012-02-10, 05:23 PM
Mirielle stands up and says to Aya "Yes, but I'm not used to... producing them. At least not with so much inside on the outside." I may have to rethink my plan with Cybrarvain. I suppose I could pay the berserker or the armorsmith to do it for me.

When Magnus and Jorran try--incompetently--to threaten the halfling, Mirielle snaps at them "Gods damn it! You're not helping. Back off and let me talk to him." She turns back to the halfling. "Hey, what's your name?" she asks gently.

Cardea
2012-02-10, 05:58 PM
"For Oghma's sake, lighten up on the man. He can't do much against us anymore, and threatening him any further is only gonna make him soil himself." Keeva says, her annoyance plain on her face. She finishes packing her things, as she begins to put on her armor. "Listen, hon, things can go a lot easier if you just cooperate with us, irie?"

candycorn
2012-02-10, 11:54 PM
Magnus shrugs, and replies, "If you can make him cooperate, so be it. Unless he takes up arms again, he shall live to our destination. I cannot promise his comfort or his freedom, but his life can be guaranteed with his non-violence. Should he choose to earn comfort or freedom, he knows what we seek."

With that, he gestures at Jorran, and asks, "While these two try to reason with people who were doing their level best to turn your vitals into vittles, would you mind helping me with these straps and buckles on my armor? I have never been a fan of the two hand straps under the armpits, but it beats letting the backplates fall off whenever I jump."

Sallera
2012-02-11, 01:08 AM
"Yeah, I guess heads are kind of nasty. Stick something in a guy's eye, better to leave it there," Aya replies sagely, apparently oblivious to any effect her words might have on the hysterical halfling. Pulling a flask from her cloak, she takes a sip, nods, and hands it to Mirielle. "Here, have some tea. I'm going to take a quick look down the other end of the ship."

Aya pads down the shifting hall, her booted footsteps still oddly quiet, and listens closely at the small doors before easing each one open for a swift glance inside. That done, she unhooks the cumbersome old crossbow and leans it carefully against the wall; she had a good idea of who to trade it to once this was done, but it was bothersome to carry around quietly. Pulling her hood up to hide her hair, she creeps halfway up the stairs, listening closely for any signs the battle was overheard, although it seemed unlikely given the storm outside.

Take 10 on Hide and MS for 19, after leaving the crossbow. Go ahead and roll the necessary Listen checks; just trying to get a better idea of the current situation before we proceed.

TheFallenOne
2012-02-11, 03:01 AM
The halfling seems unhurt, at least physically, and fails to reactto any questions directed at him until Magnus hammers on Jorran's restraints, a sound that makes him flinch, and he bursts out "STOP! ... Please. The keys are with... the guy you ripped apart with the poker."
After breaking his silence, he finally seems able to answer, though he speaks slowly and you have to strain to understand him with the noise of the storm outside drowning out his quiet words. "Asam and everyone else are on deck, braving the storm. We were told to keep an eye on you until we arrive at the Bluff. Miron said we should have left a guard below instead of all playing dice together, if only we'd listened to him..."
Aya's forray seems to confirm those words; all the rooms down the corridor prove empty, and when she listens to the doors leading up deck she can clearly make out the sounds of the raging storm, interspersed with lightning and a lot of shouting.

Jeff the Green
2012-02-11, 03:28 AM
While she waits for the halfling to respond, Mirielle grabs her gear and quickly dons her armor and buckler.

"Alright," she says to the halfling once he falls silent again, "this is how it's going to work. I really don't want to hurt you. I didn't want to hurt your friends. But I think you can understand why I had to. And I think you understand that unless you answer our questions those two over there" she points at Jorran and Magnus "will want to hurt you, and I don't think I can stop them. But if you do, I'll make sure you make it out of here alright."

Mirielle pauses a moment to let the halfling absorb what she said. "I want you to tell us everything you know about the rest of the crew. How many there are, how are they in a fight, what kind of weapons do they have. Can you do that for me?"

Hastily don chain shirt, don buckler, Handy Haversack over shoulder and morningstar in my belt. I now have 16 AC and DR 1/- for first 10 damage.

Can I take 10 on diplomacy? If so, I will for 18. If not: [roll0]

candycorn
2012-02-11, 03:51 AM
Magnus looks a bit distastefully at Mirielle as she speaks, and sighs. I don't want to hurt the guy any more than I have to, but we're likely about to have a fight on our hands, and I'm not gonna risk this one coming up to aid them, or shouting a warning. Still, she seems to be dangling a carrot well enough. She can use me as the stick, I suppose. We do have some working manacles, and stripping the little guy of his possessions, tying him up, and putting some heavy boxes in front of the cage door. That way, I could protect the sensibilities of our resident bleeding hearts, and still keep this guy secure, or at least delayed long enough to deal with whatever may be outside. Best to wait until after our priest here gets what she can out of him.

Magnus then drops his hammer onto the deck with a thud, and continues working on strapping into his armor.

TheFallenOne
2012-02-11, 05:33 AM
"We are... were... a crew of 25. Most are competent enough with a blade to help fending off pirates, but as we've seen that wasn't enough against the likes of you. Tirosh is the only one who might be able to stand up to you. He's..." He looks up at Magnus, measuring the strange eyes and bracers fused to his body. "He's like that guy."

Jeff the Green
2012-02-11, 05:47 AM
Mirielle whirls around to look at the halfling. "What do you mean, 'like that guy'?" she says, alarmed. "Strong and prone to violence, or able to create a warhammer out of thin air?"

candycorn
2012-02-11, 06:12 AM
Magnus clears his throat and speaks out, "Prone to violence? If I recall, I was the first to ask for these fools to surrender, and I did it while most of them were still breathing. Don't blame me if they weren't partial to the idea."

TheFallenOne
2012-02-11, 06:15 AM
"I mean he has the same eyes, where the usual white is blue instead. And sometimes when he expects a fight he has similar strange things fused to his body. Not exactly the same ones, but I guess it's the same kind of thing:"

candycorn
2012-02-11, 06:23 AM
Magnus speaks thoughtfully, and with a softened tone, "That... is surprisingly useful to know. Your fate is looking better and better by the minute, little one. Would you happen to know what weapons he wields, when he fights?"

TheFallenOne
2012-02-11, 06:33 AM
"He has a twohanded, curved blade, black as night. It looks like it is carved from a single piece of bone. And he uses it well. Once, while in harbor, a group of thieves tried to sneak on board from a small lifeboat. They didn't last long against his measured cuts."

candycorn
2012-02-11, 06:48 AM
Magnus begins to smile, faintly. "Even better! He looks to his newfound companions and inquires, "I wonder.... Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

Jeff the Green
2012-02-11, 08:14 AM
"Setting the trap right this time?" Mirielle suggests. "Unless you know how to disrupt his... whatever you call those things."

candycorn
2012-02-11, 09:53 AM
"No, not particularly. No, I was thinking of giving our halfling friend here a chance to earn our trust. Judging by the storm out there, I'd imagine most of the sailors are needed up top. If a problem were to develop down here, they couldn't spare many to deal with it. So they'd send a couple, and it would be their best.

It's obvious the halfling respects this Tirosh fellow's ability. Likely the others do too. If we take him down, I imagine the others won't give us any trouble. It's also obvious that we shouldn't be fighting out there. We've got the odds against us enough as is, without dealing with wind, waves, and the possibility of taking an involuntary swimming lesson. So, if possible, we lure Tirosh in here, and take him out. Once he's down, the rest of these sailors will likely not want to tangle with anyone who could fell their best.

Last time, we made a mistake. The guard saw the disarray, and knew we'd escaped. We don't have that problem this time. If my idea goes as planned, Tirosh will EXPECT that we've escaped. He just won't quite realize what he's walked into until it's too late.

Here's the thought. We drag the bodies below, into the hold we woke up in. We take up position in some of these side rooms, and send the halfling out, to tell them that the prisoners woke up and broke down the door. He tells Tirosh that we're fighting down there, and are contained, but he doesn't know how long the guards can hold out. Tirosh will think he's going to reinforce his men. He won't know that he's walking all alone into us.

He enters, hears the racket that one of us is making below, and as he runs in to assist, we blindside him, shove him into one of these rooms, get his weapon out of his hand, and work him over. Once we have him trapped in here, anyone who can shoot can stand at the doorway and chip in, while Jorran and I keep him occupied up close.

He's the key to this ship's fighting spirit. Take him out, and the rest of the crew won't dare try to take us on openly."

With that, Magnus looks over at the halfling, and says, "how about it? All you have to do is tell him we've broken free, and we're fighting the guard. If you do that, and we succeed, you're a free man, when we reach port. If we fail, you just need to convince Tirosh that we must have overwhelmed the guards while you were going for aid, and he never even knows of your involvement in this. No matter what happens, you're safe. Sound good?"

Sallera
2012-02-11, 02:54 PM
Aya grins as she returns, grabbing the mentioned keys and removing the remains of the manacles from her wrists. "I was just going to suggest we not go out there and get in the way of their efforts to keep us from sinking. Sounds pretty nasty outside. I dunno if they'll fall for it, but it beats going down with the ship, and it'll probably get us the information we want, in the end."

Taking her tea back, she watches the halfling as she takes another drink, then tucks the flask away. "Say, what's on the other side of that door you were trying to get into? That way lead topside as well?"

TheFallenOne
2012-02-11, 07:07 PM
"No, it's just the kitchen.
So... you want me to go upstairs and lure Tirosh down here?"

candycorn
2012-02-11, 07:31 PM
"That would be our hope, yes. If you do, we can overlook your involvement in the ship's handling of us. I mean, it's quite possible you just got caught up in all this, and were too afraid of Tirosh to object. You wouldn't have exactly had much choice in the matter, right? Here's your chance to have a choice of your own, and show us what kind of person you are."

Jeff the Green
2012-02-11, 07:33 PM
"It's a decent idea," Mirielle muses. "Should limit casualties on both sides and get us safely to shore."

She pulls a small stone out of her rucksack and looks at it before putting it back.

Checking my firmament stone to see approximately what time it is. Also, does Jorran's Shield of Faith still have a good amount of time left on it? 3 min. duration.

Frog Dragon
2012-02-12, 08:10 AM
The shield of faith is gone if we waited for Magnus to get armored, which I imagine we did.

"Sure." Jorran starts helping Magnus with the straps that he can't properly reach, listening to the plan the others are cooking. Finally, he straps the crossbow to his belt and puts his cloak on, though he does not sheath the greatsword, expecting more battle soon.

"I wouldn't rely on the others just giving up if we took down this Tirosh, though taking out their best fighter will still help. But we shouldn't underestimate the weight of numbers. If they think they have more to fear from us than the storm..." Jorran let the thought dangle."Still, a solid plan."

candycorn
2012-02-12, 09:49 AM
"Even if they don't lay down arms, as long as we're in here, they have to come to us to stop us, and these hallways limit the usefulness of their numbers. I imagine that once Tirosh is dealt with, we can handle the rest of this ship without too terribly much difficulty."

Sallera
2012-02-12, 01:41 PM
"Yeah, I mean, they're not all idiots. Long as we make it clear what we're after, they're not going to just throw themselves onto your swords."

Shoving the bodies down the stairs with a booted foot, Aya adds "Just don't forget what we are after. We won't find answers if we kill the crew and sink the ship." Splashing enough water around for the floor to at least pretend from a distance to be the site of a minor scuffle rather than a slaughter, she moves into the corner, leaning her borrowed crossbow up against the wall. "I'll wait here, then. Those little rooms are mostly empty, so you can probably shove him into one without much trouble."

Aya will hide in F11 once we're ready.

candycorn
2012-02-12, 10:48 PM
"Well, if we've got everything hashed out, Jorran, you could take up position here and try to shove him into the far room here, and I'll take a fallback position here, to guard the rest of our group, and move to assist as needed."

Magnus indicates B16 for Jorran. He points to the door at D/E-16 for the far room. He indicates B12 for himself.

Magnus then turns to Mirielle, speaking "While we're at it, you look fairly strong, as well. If you'd like to hide out in the room we plan to shove Tirosh in, you could grab him as he's shoved in, perhaps? All we have to do is keep him from using that sword effectively, long enough for us to take him out. Thoughts?"

Jeff the Green
2012-02-13, 02:02 AM
Mirielle nods at Magnus. "I think I can do that. Might be best if Jorran joins in after a point," she suggests. "I don't want to trust our lives to my strength."

She looks around at her allies pro temporem. "I can do a bit of healing before we start, and give someone a bit of a shield against the worst blows."

candycorn
2012-02-13, 03:02 AM
Magnus helps drag bodies out of sight, and trusts in the water sloshing down from above to get the blood out, before responding to Mirielle's offers.

"Good point. Best to leave as little to chance as possible. If Jorran helps hold him down, it'll be that much easier to deal with him. As for the magical aid, check with the others. I've got my shield right here, and my pack has a couple potions for my wounds. If you need to heal me in the fight, stick to your weakest magics, and save the more powerful heals for others. I don't want anyone falling because I was too needy, after all." With that, Magnus gives as lighthearted a smile as he can muster, given that everyone's lives were about to rest on the strength of his wits.

Magnus then reaches into his pack, withdrawing a vial, and drinking it. Almost all of his wounds fade away, and he looks much more rejuvenated. Finally, he straps his shield onto his forearm, and readies himself.

Mechanics:Faith Healing potion, heals 12 HP, bringing me from 19/31 to 31/31.

TheFallenOne
2012-02-13, 11:47 AM
well, there are still some details unclear, but the basic idea seems to be agreed upon.

The trap is set and the halfling sent up to lure Tirosh in, but after several minutes of waiting, nothing has happened. Cleary something didn't go as planned, and as to confirm your suspicions you notice a young, blonde man come down the stairs; you recognize him as the guy who served food and drinks during that fateful feast with Dar Al Asam, though his name eludes you. He has his arms wide, displaying his empty hands for all to see.
"Ahem... Excuse me? I know you're there. Sorry, the little guy spilled to beans, though you gave him quite a scare. Asam sent me to negotiate; he doesn't want to send Tirosh by himself and he can't spare many other men considering how bad it is outside. They're fighting to keep all of us alive out there, you know.
Asam would like to negotiate personally with one of you, but if you understandably don't trust us enough to send one of you up on his own I can speak on his behalf. We are no slavers, and we never intended to hurt you. From what he just told me, Embro Ambrath offered him a huge reward for delivering you to him - all five of you, alive at all costs. We didn't even take a single copper from your stuff. Maybe we should have asked nicely for you just to come along to Ambrath instead of drugging you, but noncompliance wasn't an option. So in the hopes the five of you have no feud with that powerful man I do it now, though it comes too late for five of us sadly. Please, lay down your arms, enough blood was shed here tonight."

JtG
about two in the morning

candycorn
2012-02-13, 12:04 PM
Magnus steps out from his location, and says, "Didn't take a copper from us? As I recall, you took a great many of them in payment for safe passage us to a place you were paid by another to take us. I don't know about the rest of my newfound friends here, but I personally don't feel this passage has been all that safe.

If you would like to negotiate, let's start with this. I don't like dealing with lackeys, so I would like Asam to personally come to the table behind me to negotiate. If he would like assurances that we can be trusted, then you may remind him that we aren't the ones trafficking in poisons and kidnapping. Incidentally, you may tell him that he need not bring refreshments; we've had QUITE enough of his wine, thank you.

I don't believe I hold any ill will towards this Embro fellow. After all, as far as I can tell, he didn't specify that you drug us, chain us, tie us up, and, well, beat me for good measure. I have no qualms with meeting him, to see what was important enough to hire a courier for each of us. But I will not see your actions this day go unanswered."

Jeff the Green
2012-02-13, 12:11 PM
Mirielle tries to breathe a sigh of relief. It doesn't come. She steps out to join Magnus, her armor still shining in what she hopes is an imposing manner. "Aye," she says. "I would rather speak with Asam as well. If he is too afraid to come down here, he can stand at the top of the stairs. We will, at least for now, promise not to harm him."

TheFallenOne
2012-02-13, 12:16 PM
Despite the dire situation he is in, he can't hold back a chuckle. "Without Dar Al steering the Arianna we'd all be sleeping with the fishes soon. You want to talk to him directly, you have to meet him on deck. Or just postpone it and sit tight until we're safely in harbor."

Jeff the Green
2012-02-13, 12:23 PM
Mirielle replaces the wire-rimmed spectacles she had removed in preparation for a fight. "I don't know about the rest of them, but I can endure a few hours of waiting," she says. "A sword in the back, not so much."

As if to punctuate her indifference, Mirielle walks back to the table behind them and sits down, facing the hall where they'd set the trap.

candycorn
2012-02-13, 12:36 PM
Magnus chuckles, and replies, "You expect me to believe that? If he waits until we are safe in harbor, he'll be negotiating with Raven's Bluff's guard. I'm certain he's not the only one on the entire ship that knows how to steer. Why, what would happen to the lot of you if he drank from the wrong wine bottle, or fell deathly ill?"

Sallera
2012-02-13, 12:48 PM
Slinging her bow over her back, Aya steps into sight and pads down the hallway. "Just what I was thinking. Don't worry, armoursmith, I'll go. They try to kill me, the whole Order will learn about it, and only an idiot makes an enemy of Mystra's church for no good reason." She tactfully left out the part where she wasn't exactly the most-loved member of the Shooting Stars; they didn't need to know that.

"Besides," she grins cheerily, "you'd get to squish them all if they did."

TheFallenOne
2012-02-13, 01:00 PM
The look of the man visibly darkens at Magnus's words. "Listen, you damn fool, this isn't some mild autumn breeze any first or second mate can lazily stroll through. You think you fought for your lifes down here? So did we up there! Jannick even went overboard while praying at the helm of the ship, and I have no illusion about his chances, favor of thrice-cursed Umberlee be damned. We need the captain up there or you might as well cut me down where I stand, it's a more merciful death."

He breathes deeply after venting his frustration and anger, and Aya's words make him relax. "Well, good. Keep the bow if you want, won't help much up there. Just to be clear, the others are fine with you speaking on their behalf?"

Frog Dragon
2012-02-13, 01:09 PM
Forgot to refresh the page for... several hours. Go me.

candycorn
2012-02-13, 01:26 PM
"The fools are lying in pools of their own blood, below. I assure you that what they faced was more lethal to them than whatever you've dealt with so far out there. You're obviously not pulling into the pier in a storm like this; the boat would be smashed to bits! Thus, I imagine there will be a bit of clear weather before you lower the gangplank, where the hands of a lesser mortal will suffice at the helm, and Asam can parley with us in the comfort of this room.

That said, if my friend wishes to go topside, I won't stop her. She may negotiate as she wishes, and bring back the results of your negotiation. We will then, as a group, hear her account, weigh it on its merits, and either accept it, or not. In either case, we'll send you back, alive, to deliver that message, provided you don't try anything stupid. If we can't conclude an agreement in this way, we're back to seeing Asam directly, when the storm breaks.

If she's not back in thirty minutes, I will also assume foul play, and act accordingly. I advise you to make sure she doesn't suffer any 'mishaps' over the side."

Magnus then turns to Aya, speaking, "Be careful up there. We both know Asam has the integrity of a back-alley half-orc thug."

TheFallenOne
2012-02-13, 01:55 PM
"You know, I wish you would come upstairs; looking behind the ship would shut you up good."
The man takes Aya up on deck and as soon as she steps out, she has to steady herself against the wall to remain on her feet. The ships's swaying is more noticable here, or maybe it's just because it's accentuated with howling wind and a rain that whips into her face so hard she mistakes it for hail at first. The ship is sailing at full speed, with the sails looking about ready to burst from the strain. She briefly wonders about this carelessness, but stops once she looks past the stern to see what they were running aways from: a bank of pure blackness filling half the horizon, occasionally separated by pure-white lightning.
Dar Al Asam only noticed Aya once she's only a few feet away from him, fully concentrating on controlling the ship, and even with the low distance he has to shout for her to hear. "AH, SO YOU WERE WILLING TO NEGOTIATE. GOOD! SORRY ABOUT TELLING YOU WE'RE PAST THE DANGEROUS WATERS, THAT LIE WAS QUITE UNINTELTIONAL.
I DON'T KNOW WHAT HARRID TOLD YOU YET, BUT EMBRO AMBRATH OFFERED ME 40.000 GOLD IF I DELIVER ALL OF YOU TO HIM, UNHARMED AND ABOVE ALL DISCREET. AND IF I DECLINE HE'D STOP MAKING BUSINESS WITH ME. YOU KNOW HOW MUCH OF THE GOODS I SHIP GO THROUGH HIS CONTORS? I HAD NO CHOICE! BUT I'M NO SLAVER AND I WON'T ASSIST IN MURDER, I TELL YOU. WHEN I MENTIONED AMBRATH TO YOU, NONE OF YOU GUYS SHOWED ANY REACTION, SO IT SEEMS YOU HAVE NO HISTORY WITH HIM. AND I DON'T THINK HE'D GO TO THESE LENGTHS JUST TO ASSEMBLE FIVE STRANGERS AND HAVE THEM KILLED. IT DOESN'T ADD UP. I DON'T KNOW WHAT HE WANTS FROM YOU, BUT I'M PRETTY SURE YOU CAN JUST GO ALONG AND FIND OUT WITHOUT DIEING IN THE PROCESS."

Sallera
2012-02-13, 02:20 PM
The wardings on Aya's cloak keep her shielded from wind and rain, an effect visible almost as a wall of water in a storm of this magnitude, but they do nothing to save her from the ship's swaying deck. Still, it's no fragile tree branch, and she makes her way over to stand directly behind Assam, shielding him slightly from the wind - something that would have been more effective were she a little taller and less skinny. Placing a hand on his back, she leans up to speak directly into his ear, dropping her façade in favour of efficiency.

"You're right, I've no history with Ambrath, and as far as I know the others don't either. But we don't have any history with each other, either, which means there must be some way he knew of each of us, and some reason it's us in particular he wants. And I think we'd all feel more inclined to meet with him if we had a better idea of what those were. There are two things I'm going to ask from you if we're going to resolve this little dispute peacefully, and the first will take nothing but a bit of your time, so we'll start with that. Just tell me everything you know of Ambrath and his dealings."

TheFallenOne
2012-02-13, 02:59 PM
"Well, as I already made clear he's rich. Filthy rich, the only one on the same level is Lady Lauren. He controls a good deal of the city's import and export, and the trade in cloth, dyes and spices is firmly in his hands. He also provides cleaning services, and rumor has it this can include making bodies or other unwelcome things 'disappear', though of course nothing was ever proven.
His household guard is 200 strong, nicknamed 'copperskins' for their copper scale armor. In the conflict between merchants and nobility he's sort of the former's ring leader, though now he is on the Council of Lords too who knows what will happen with that. It's an open secret he's feuding with Lord Blacktree in particular, though I hear they grew up together as children and were quite friendly with each other. There are many rumors as to what estranged them, a rather popular one is about a woman named Marie both fell in love with and then died in a tragic way, but I wouldn't believe any of that.
I only met him once in person. He's a rather... massive man, people like you and me are just flies to him. Not the kind of guy you want to mess with unless you have an army or two in your back. Says he bought the title of Lord so he can start a dynasty and inherit it to his son, though it took him 16 daughters and who knows how many courtesans to actually have one. And then the boy turned out to be simple as I hear. The daughters though are all a sight to behold. Keeps them close, no idea why he doesn't marry them off to secure alliances. Well, until recently when two of the five Kuldath brothers married his youngest ones. If he makes a coup like that with each of the others he'll own the whole Bluff and half of Tantras in the end."

Frog Dragon
2012-02-13, 03:33 PM
I know half-orcs who'd take offense. Jorran deadpans as Aya and the man leave the room. "They usually hit you in the face, and without poison." He stays silent for a bit and sits down. "Anyone have a clue what this Embro fellow might want from us?" Jorran scratched the back of his head. "'Noncompliance was not an option.' Sounds like an awful lot of trouble, and all this isn't going to make us any friendlier to whatever they want." He pauses for a moment. "It sure isn't making me any friendlier...

Jeff the Green
2012-02-13, 03:53 PM
"I have no idea," Mirielle replies as she fishes a large, dogeared tome out of her rucksack. "I've never met him. Hell, I've only been up in the Dragon Reach for a few months." She begins thumbing through the volume. "And my situation is about the same as Aya's. The only god I'd less like to make an enemy of than Mystra is Kelemvor, and the Doomguides are at least as fearsome as the Knights of the Mystic Fire."

"Ah!" she exclaims. "Here it is." Mirielle slams the book down on the table and begins running through the strings of mnemonics, lists, and acronyms.

Knowledge (History) and (Local) to see what I know about Ambrath. Using a masterwork tool for history.
History: [roll0]
Local: [roll1]

TheFallenOne
2012-02-13, 04:06 PM
Local or Nobility could give information. A 9 tells you nothing apart from 'rich merchant guy in Ravens Bluff' at best

Jeff the Green
2012-02-13, 04:27 PM
Nobility & Royalty is untrained, so I'm not going to get much else from that, either.

After several minutes, Mirielle closes her book with a sigh and stows it in her backpack. "I've got nothing on Ambrath. I was hoping he's been around long enough for my history section to have something."

She drums her fingers on the table in a rapid tattoo.

Sallera
2012-02-13, 04:49 PM
"Better," Aya replies. "Not as helpful as I'd hoped, but better." She leans a bit further forward. "Now, as to the matter of resolving our differences..."

"Since your little kidnapping scheme turned out unpleasantly for everyone involved, it seems to me you're now receiving a great deal of profit for what has become, essentially, delivering a message. I'm sure the poisoned wine cost you a bit, but not that much. Compensate us for the trouble we've gone through - say, two thousand gold each - and I'll go convince everyone to pay Ambrath the discreet visit he desires. We'll keep quiet about your tendency to drug your passengers, and you'll keep your profit margin intact. Oh, and don't bother bringing up your dead sailors; if they'd posted a guard below like they were supposed to, or even been willing to surrender, we'd have had the situation explained when we woke up, and we could have skipped over that pointless fight and straight to this conversation. They died of their own foolishness."

And while we're at it, Knowledge: Nobility for Lauren and Blacktree.
[roll0]
[roll1]

TheFallenOne
2012-02-13, 05:14 PM
Lady Lauren DeVillars, now in her sixties or seventies, is likely the most powerful person of the Bluff. Spokeswoman of the nobility, high priestess of Waukeen, and the biggest merchant house Tempest Rose is firmly in her pocket. Owns huge amounts of real estate, and prevented the merchants from acquiring much land when many nobles lost their income because of the war(runs essentially a bank worth millions, taking real estate as collateral). Beloved by the people for her generosity, though a bit detached from everyday reality. Like once when in a cold winter she gave her old clothes and furs to beggars. Instead of wearing them they sold it, each being worth hundreds of gold

Blacktree IV. is from a long noble line with a military tradition. Was a bit of a slack and no-good carefree guy in his youth, though stepped up in adulthood and became a respectable officer, culminating in him leading the army in the war. Was favored by the soldiers for the post of Lord Mayor; lost to Lady Amber, but still influential today

Asam grits his teeth; clearly money is where he feels pain the most. "Fine. One-five each, and not one gold more. I still have to smuggle you in there without anyone being the wiser, and my beloved Arianna will surely need some repairs after this. Plus you got a splendid feast out of it at least. That wine was expensive, and Malinor previously cooked for a big lord you know. Got thrown out when he reacted violently to the question why his potatoes taste like pike."

indeed, the feast was the best you all had ever eaten, though somehow everything did have a taste of one kind of fish or the other, even if it shouldn't

Cardea
2012-02-13, 05:49 PM
Keeva

Sighing as Aya heads up top, she sets her crossbow on the ground and leans against one of the walls of their small 'room' to balance herself against the shaking of the ship. She blows up, making her bangs fly for a few seconds. "You know what just dawned on me? I could just sink this ship. I could just sink this ship with a few bolts or a good charge. Probably could've avoided an entire fight if I just brought that up. Sight is only perfect if its in the past, aye?"

"So. Here's a question. Somehow someone wanted the five of us, right? So that means we're all on the same playing field more or less. I say, we stick together until this whole ordeal is done. I can't defend myself all that well, and I can't beat someone down with my fists, but I'm willin' to bet that none of you can make your own objects of power, except you," Keeva says, pointing at Magnus. "Because you're doin' somethin' that ain't... ain't..." Something inside Keeva's head clicks, and a mix of a smile and a gasp spreads across her face. "You're usin' Incarnum, aren't you?"

"You use bloody Incarnum!"

Could Keeva figure out the blueprints of the ship, based on being a passenger of it for a little bit, and with a knowledge Architecture/Engineering check?
Knowledge: A/E: [roll0]

Sallera
2012-02-13, 06:09 PM
Aya allows herself a hidden smile; she'd been expecting to fight for one and five. "We did, at that. We're agreed, then. I'll leave you to keep us afloat and go bring the others on side." Returning carefully to the hold, she snaps her cloak once at the door to shed any remaining water and heads down to the others.

"No one started up the cards and dice while I was away, I see," she begins, taking a seat at the table with a grin. "I hope you like the terms I came up with, 'cause they'll make us all a fair bit better off. In short, Ambrath is the second-richest person in Raven's Bluff, and one of the most powerful. Approaching Lady Lauren in wealth, and she may be a bit of an eccentric, but she as good as owns half the city. He's also ambitious, has no qualms about spending all that money, and probably has his fingers in a few less-than-legal bits of business on top of controlling the clothing and spice trades. I figure if he wants to meet with us, and we're heading to the Bluff, he's going to, sooner or later. So I worked out a simple arrangement with Asam. He pays us each fifteen hundred gold for our trouble, we don't bother mentioning this little incident, and he proceeds with getting us to the meeting unnoticed, as planned. I hope that won't interfere with any of your plans?"

candycorn
2012-02-13, 08:00 PM
Magnus

Magnus replies to Keeva (prior to Aya's arrival), "Using incarnum is... A crude way to put it." With that, he holds up his hammer. "If this hammer were a fire, incarnum would be the coal. It powers and strengthens these... manifestations of my will and conviction. This could not exist without incarnum, but incarnum is only the potential. It is my will that gives it purpose. By focusing my will differently, this could as easily be gloves, or a helm."

After Aya's arrival:

"Fifteen hundred? I suppose it's more than we already paid that black-hearted bastard, but still... Whatever this Ambrath fellow wants from us, he went through a lot of trouble to get us here, and paid a lot of money. I believe Asam's lackey called it a 'huge sum'. Add on the rather exorbitant price that this scum extorted from us for the passage that they were paid for, and... Well, I'd say that Asam up there is making quite the tidy sum. I don't know this Ambrath, which is good. That much money expects payment, either in interest or blood. With no reason that I know of for him to want revenge, all I can guess is that he intends to use our services, and I can only guess that he wishes to gain far more from it than we will. That's not to say we won't profit tidily; after all, what's twenty thousand gold, balanced against the control of, say, all the sea trade in Raven's Bluff?

Regardless, I see no harm in the meeting, and if accepting fifteen hundred gold will avoid further bloodshed and get me off this gods damned boat, I'm willing to accept such an offer. It is a reasonable enough restitution, and so long as the victims, us, are renumerated for the wrongs which befelled us, I see it as a more efficient way of getting a little justice, rather than dealing with harbor patrol guards on the take. I can only speak for myself, however. I will only support this if every one of us agrees. We must all feel the restitution is fair."

Jeff the Green
2012-02-13, 08:48 PM
"It is fair, as far as it goes" Mirielle says, furrowing her brow. "But I would like Asam to pay a weregild to the families of those sailors we butchered. It's his fault we were there, his fault they were guarding prisoners far stronger than them, his fault they died.

"If the rest of you don't agree, of course, I will speak with the captain separately once we dock. I don't imagine he will refuse to part with a few hundred more gold to pay for his carelessness. How much was he being paid to drug us?"

Cardea
2012-02-13, 09:38 PM
Keeva

"Oh blah blah blah. Arcanists 'write' formulas, Etheric folk are 'gifted' divine power. Point of the matter is, you and I have long fantastic talks ahead of us, as you can help me with my resea-" Keeva cuts herself off upon Aya's arrival. "So let me get this straight: one of the richest, most powerful persons in Ravens Bluff wants the five of us, and paid a very nice, healthy sum of money to do so?

"You, uh, you sure I just couldn't sink the ship? It seems like the safer option."

candycorn
2012-02-13, 10:24 PM
Magnus shakes his head at Mirielle's words. "First, and I am profoundly glad of this, those guards were careless, criminally. They left us completely unmonitored. In addition, we offered them multiple chances for parley, and they refused each. Each man blazes his own trail through this world, and they chose their path. Their deaths were tragic, but the circumstances for them were on their heads, and no other. We gave them every opportunity to end the fighting, and they refused us, almost to the last man. I would not hold the captain responsible for their stupidity, only his own."

Jeff the Green
2012-02-14, 12:36 AM
"Yes, but it was his stupidity that put them there," Mirielle replies. She shakes her head. "But it doesn't matter. I'll try to convince Asam privately later. I don't have any other objections to the deal, and meeting this Ambrath won't upset my plans too much. Assuming we're not greeted by a band and parade."

candycorn
2012-02-14, 08:58 AM
"Then it is agreed? We accept this restitution, in lieu of accusing Asam publicly? If that's settled, we can get to more mundane issues... Like sleep. I may have just met you four, but I'm more willing to trust that you won't tie me up in my sleep than them. Should we arrange for a watch while we rest?"

TheFallenOne
2012-02-14, 11:33 AM
you're maybe an hour away from port. Tantras to Ravens Bluff is I believe 50 miles in all

Jorran still missing, then I think we're ready to move on

Sallera
2012-02-14, 12:17 PM
Aya giggles at Keeva's suggestion, leaning back in her chair. "Oh, come on, it's not that bad. He's got something he wants, and he thinks we can take care of it, probably 'cause we're not locals; we get it for him, we get paid, and he forgets we ever existed. We're not important enough to end up in any permanent trouble, are we?"

"Well, I don't sleep, but I don't think we're all that far from port. How about some proper introductions, instead? I can't keep calling you 'armoursmith' forever," she replies to Magnus.

candycorn
2012-02-14, 12:42 PM
"We hardly need to be important to end up in permanent trouble. Still, no use worrying about tomorrow's problems. At least, not with so little information. Ambrath is a 'bigger picture' guy. Whatever he wants from us, it's part of a larger plan. We're drops of rain in the storm, so far. There is no point in trying to figure out where we'll fall, until we have a bit of idea where we're going.

As for introductions, I confess that there are few in Raven's Bluff I know, so having a few friendly faces in town couldn't hurt. I am called Magnus, by those that call on me. And you are?"

Cardea
2012-02-14, 12:44 PM
Keeva

"I'll go next, I 'spose.

"I am Keeva LeCor. K-E-E-V-A. L-e-Captial-C-o-r. I'm a tinkerer. An artificer. I don't much care for most magic users, as most of them don't understand what exactly they're doing. I do. I figure out magic. I weave it and put it objects. I made this little lens," She says, pulling out her monocle. "Called an Artificer's Monocle. Lets me figure out what an item does in a few minutes- but that's besides the point. I'm a problem solver. A miracle worker. I can make things that would boggle the mind. And I was supposed to be heading to Raven's Bluff to do some private research; but we can see just how well that is turning out.

"But more on point, that 'armorsmith', Magnus? Uses something known as Incarnum. Some rare thing that isn't even supposed to be real; 'Soul Magic', its called. And, again, rare thing. Isn't even supposed to be real. Every text I read was either some recount of 'A-man-who-knew-a-man-who-knew-a-man', or close to being a fairy tale. And that fine lady over there," she says, pointing at Mirielle. "Is a decent holy-person. Two Shields of Faith and a Luminous Armor. I can do Shield of Faith too, but... not like she did, not that fast. I think I like her. She knows what she's doing."

candycorn
2012-02-14, 01:17 PM
Magnus tries not to roll his eyes at Keeva's boasting, then clears his throat. "It's a pleasure, Keeva... But I am, you know, standing here. There will be time enough to speak of me as if I'm not here once I've actually left."

Sallera
2012-02-14, 01:58 PM
"I'm Aya Llewellyn, and no, I'm not going to spell my family name for you, so if you don't know Elven, just forget you heard it. I'm one of Mystra's Shooting Stars, but despite wearing the mark, I'm not a magic user - yet, anyway. I'll figure I'll get the hang of it eventually; I can do most anything else, although not always well. Mostly, though, it's the bow for me; I can comfortably hit a target at five hundred paces, and well beyond that on a good day."

Frog Dragon
2012-02-14, 02:45 PM
"Fifteen hundred?" Jorran laughs. "I'll bite." He says. It was almost absurd. How could this lot be so valuable to anyone? Still, that 1500 would got a long way smoothing out bad blood. His bad blood anyway...

Then, when the introductions start. "As I said, I'm Jorran. Jorran Tolm. He starts. He had already told them his first name, but the family name probably wouldn't hurt. "I've been working as a mercenary for the last year or so. That flaming axe thing was something a colleague gave me a crash course on. I'm not a mage though. Just a swordsman."

Jeff the Green
2012-02-14, 03:39 PM
Mirielle laughs a bit at Keeva's description of her. When it comes to be her turn for introductions she takes off her glasses and polishes them nervously on her sleeve. "I suppose 'holy person' is a decent enough description. I'm Mirielle Grayhome. I'm a priestess of Kelemvor, though I'm really more comfortable being a librarian. I only had a crash course with this." She indicates a dangerous-looking morningstar. "I'm pretty good at making zombies explode, though," she says with a slight smile.

TheFallenOne
2012-02-15, 04:30 PM
well, looks like you were done with introductions

The storm keeps to the middle of the sea, and once you pass the wavebreaker known as the Seawall and enter the bay the Fire River was flowing into the ship is save, though not untouched by the storm it narrowly outran.

Smuggling you inside involves putting each of you inside a barrel and, judging from the sudden, short movement soon after being unloaded, appearantly a bit of sleight of hand, switching your barrels for others already checked by the port authorities at an opportune moment.

You arrive at your destination still well before sunrise, and the moment you raise your head over the rim of the barrel you know you're in a huge, opulent manor. The captain of the guards is startled for a moment when he sees you still armed and unbound, but quickly relaxes and leads you to meat Embro Ambrath in a marble hall large enough to house hundreds.

Ambrath, lying sideways on a purple divan bed, proves to be a many-chinned enormously fat man, the kind of person you surmise only moves by litter, if he moves of all. To his right stands a man with hawkish features who must be a wizard of some kind, clad in robes of darkest blue and close to fifty guards in copper scale armor are flanking you. It is the mage that adresses the newcomers after shortly scanning each of you with halfclosed eyes. "You stand before Embro Ambrath, head of the merchant house and noble house of the same name. The questions you surely have must wait, first each of you tell us who you are, what your business is in this city and what connection if any you have to Lord Frigurd Blacktree IV. I advise against trying to conceal anything."

roll a bluff if you try to lie or avoid giving a full answer

Knowledge(Nobility) 10 reveals what's in the OOC writeup
15 what Sallera previously got when rolling
20 might reveal new things

Sallera
20 ft in front of you you see a faint shimmer in the air, i.e. Wall of Force

candycorn
2012-02-15, 09:01 PM
Magnus is the first to clear his throat. "I do indeed have questions, however, as you said, they are not of an urgency that demands answers before introduction. I am Magnus Erickksen, son of Erickk Smith. I am an armorer by trade, occasionally a mercenary or militiaman when the need arises. I travelled to this city seeking an old friend, and to seek knowledge about long lost dwarven smithing techniques. I know nothing of this Blacktree; if I have any involvement with him, it was either accidental or without my knowledge." Magnus then steps back, eager to have the spotlight off of him.

Jeff the Green
2012-02-15, 09:07 PM
Mirielle, who had pulled her vestments over her chain shirt before she climbed into her barrel, curtsies stiffly to Ambrath. "I'm Mirielle Grayhome, priestess of Kelemvor, though I expect you know that. I was sent to the Dragon Reach to find person who is of interest to my church. A week ago I found information that suggested he was in this city." She pauses briefly. "I had not heard of Lord Blacktree until today."

Sallera
2012-02-16, 01:15 AM
Belatedly remembering to pull back her hood, Aya lowers her head slightly in apology. "I am Aya Llewellyn, initiate of the Order of the Shooting Star. I am in this city to investigate a few business interests for a friend of mine - nothing in your areas of trade - and I expect to serve the Order as necessary while I am here. I know of Lord Blacktree, but have no connections to or dealings with him."

Cardea
2012-02-16, 09:53 AM
Keeva

"I am Keeva LeCor, Student of Calna LeCor. I am a crafter; something known as an Artificer. And I'm chasing down myths in order to be recognized as a true artisan under my art by my master." Keeva blushes at her next sentence. "I'm... I'm looking for a Heart of... of... of Gold."

Frog Dragon
2012-02-16, 03:20 PM
"Jorran Tolm, a mercenary from the city of Luskan." Jorran was somewhat annoyed at the wizard's tone, but didn't let it show. Embro was the one that had called for them to be brought here, why the interrogation from his wizard? "I'm here to find a priestess I knew." Jorran says before stepping back, just as Magnus had done.

TheFallenOne
2012-02-16, 03:57 PM
Candycorn, I think we got a little misunderstanding about your backstory. You can look here for a friend, and you can search for the smithing secrets, but you know noone here who is familiar with these secrets. All you know is that the art of Soulforging had one of its peaks with the clans of Roldilar, the dwarven realm lost over 700 years ago

Embro Ambrath gives a sideways look to the mage, who almost imperceptably shakes his head. Ambrath sighes, and then The Fat Man himself begins to speak in a stilted voice with many short pauses. Pity, I had hoped you'd be more... directly useful to me.
Let me explain then. I have a profound... rivalry with Lord Blacktree, and I had hoped you would give me an advantage. My... informants had learned that dear Frigurd had urgent matters with one of the passengers on your... Arianna, was it? Not knowing which one of you he wants, I... decided to take all five of you and then... sort it out.
But it seems... whatever he wants from you, you don't know about it. Which is... regretable, but at least you have no... loyalties with him.
He has some elusive allies I wish to... learn more about. Today, go out in the city to... lure them out, so my guard can get their hands on one of them, alive. Help me in this... and each of you will be rewarded with 5000 gold on success. I won't tell you what happens if you... refuse. Refusing my... requests is something few people choose to do, especially when the rewards for... compliance are so sweet."

Sallera
2012-02-16, 05:31 PM
Five thousand to wander about for a day? Heh. This guy's as willing to throw money around as I expected. I've no wish to make any unnecessary enemies, but play the scene right and I won't even need to do that. As long as it isn't me Blacktree was looking for, anyway... Aya glances sidelong at the others, trying to judge each one's odds of being the unlucky victim.

Let's see, he's a military man, wants or wanted the mayoralty. Used to be a bit of a twit, which means he probably rose on effort and proper application. If Vachalan's taught me anything, he'll be after advantage - at least if this matter he wants one of us for is important. Which means, assuming he knows about whoever he's after... four marks for Keeva, two for Magnus, and half a mark each for Mirielle and Jorran, just because you never discount someone outright, leaving... three marks for me. Bother. I'd better start working on exit strategies, just in case.

With a shrug, she looks back to Ambrath. "Sounds acceptable. I have no objections."

candycorn
2012-02-16, 09:04 PM
Magnus looks rather surprised, as he thinks... So, knowing we have no knowledge of this Blacktree fellow, or his allies, Embrath wishes us to wander the city blindly, and trust in Blacktree's allies to seek whomever out? I can only assume his colleagues will be watching for this anyway. That means that whether or not we accept his deal, we advance his aims. Not that I'm complaining, but fair payment for services is not his goal. That means he's likely trying to either get us on his teat, or establish that we owe him something. As nice as the money sounds, I don't like strings attached to me, before I know where they are leading.

Magnus speaks up again, hesitantly... "When I stepped foot on Asam's boat, I had every intention of coming to this city and going forth into the town and conducting business here, and I still intend to. If that business helps you advance your aims, I am pleased to help. But I cannot, in good conscience, accept payment from you for doing what I intended to do anyway. If you must find a place for five thousand gold, please, split it evenly and donate it to the temple of Eldath and shrines to the Red Knight, and consider any debt you owe me for my assistance paid."

EDIT: @DM:I've amended my 1st statement to match. Now I'm looking up an old friend, and seeking information on lost dwarven crafting techniques, with no apparent link between the two.

Jeff the Green
2012-02-17, 05:58 AM
Mirielle sighs to herself. It's not like I was likely to find Cybrarvain without alerting him anyway. At least the money Ambrath is offering will cover the bribes I'll need to find him. Maybe even...

She speaks up, trying her best to recall the way she used to wrap merchants around her finger. "I would not dream of refusing such a generous offer, my lord. However, I am a priestess of Kelemvor, and no matter how much I might wish to help you, my duty to the Lord of the Crystal Spire must always come first.

"The man I seek--an elf named Cybrarvain--is probably doing his best to avoid being found right now, and making myself known to your rivals' allies will almost certainly make it more difficult for me to track him down. A man of your connections surely has agents who know where to start looking for him; perhaps in exchange for my service, you could give me that information and, say, 4500 gold rather than the 5000 you had planned on. Information is free, and I can promise you that Cybrarvain is no one you would miss."

Diplomacy: [roll0]
Edit: Le sigh.

TheFallenOne
2012-02-17, 06:10 AM
"Oh, I don't mind... not paying you, but my orders have to be fulfilled rather... exact. You can't just... wander around anywhere. Few... civilians, good place for an ambush, a promise of... belated city watch interference. My friend Beregor already took... steps to insure all that", Ambrath answers the smith.

To Mirielle he says "I will not... barter with you. The offer is final and not open to... discussion. If my servants have... information on this man, the price of that is to be... negotiated another day."

candycorn
2012-02-17, 06:35 AM
Magnus sighs, before speaking, knowing the danger his words would put him in, and choosing them as carefully as he could. "I am sorry, then. I would know what I am fighting for, and against, ere I draw my weapon. To do less would be to be a fool, and a fool is usually more dangerous to their client than their objective. I am not one to be bought. That may mean that it isn't possible to buy my allegiance to coin, but neither is it possible to lose my allegiance to gold. If you wish my assistance, I would inherit your rivalry with Blacktree, and to do that, I must know who my rival to be is, and who my allies are."

TheFallenOne
2012-02-17, 07:55 AM
The answer of Magnus visibly displeases Ambrath and he grimaces, a motion that makes his corpulent face jiggle in a quite grotesque way. "You are... new in this city, so let me tell you something about the... privileges of lordship. They give certain... freedoms in your domain. You are in my house... armed, without ever... properly entering the city. I could have you killed and your... remains delivered to the watch, without having to fear any... repercussions. Or just have you... disappear entirely.
I'm not giving you the... choice of complying or dying. I prefer less... crude avenues. But you should consider this option is... open to me.
If you are a man... moved by morals and not coin, consider this. Belanor Fenmarel was the acting mayor during Kane's.... disappearance. He was accused of... treason and died in a celll, before guilt... or innocence could be proven.
I have... reason to believe Blacktree's allies had a hand in this... incident. And I wish this... crime exposed.
If you refuse, you will remain in the... care of my guard for now. Until I know... what Blacktree wants I can't allow you to go... unsupervised."

Knowledge History might reveal more about this story
Local about rumors going around about this

candycorn
2012-02-17, 09:45 AM
Magnus bursts into laughter for a moment, before responding... "Apologies... Apologies, your lordship. You seem to have misjudged me."

All trace of humor then fades from the face of Magnus. "Don't mistake conviction for morality. I am no more moved by morals, good or ill, than I am coin. One does not forge copper by respecting the feelings of the ore. One does so by taking ore, burning out the impurities, and beating it until it is something useful. So it is with nations, empires, and legacies. They are not forged by hugging kittens. They are created with ambition. With vision. With purpose. There is no lord or lady that has not engaged in shady dealings. That includes Blacktree, and I imagine yourself. Don't pretend that sparing our lives is anything but in your interests. After all, you've invested a good deal in getting us here, and killing us now reveals nothing about Blacktree.

"I don't seek kindness, from you or anyone. I seek a greater purpose. THAT is the legacy of creation. This Blacktree could have saved destitute widows from the ravagings of pirates, or executed a hundred idealistic fools, and it makes no difference. All that matters is whether he is a man of Vision... And whether you are. I seek Vision, and should I find it, I shall aid its cause. Should I not, then I shall be the change I seek in the realm. Order is either growing or dying, and to grow, it needs to be occasionally fed with the blood of misguided pawns. I seek to help order grow. I would just prefer the role of the misguided be filled by another.

Blacktree's atrocities don't move me, nor does your gold. I would happily accept either, provided it was paid with purpose. If you wish to move me to your cause, I would know what your Vision is."

candycorn
2012-02-17, 09:48 AM
@DMKnowledge (History): [roll0]

TheFallenOne
2012-02-17, 12:03 PM
Ambrath evidently loses patience with Magnus and makes a short wave of his hand, upon which the mage Beregor takes up the word. "Lord Ambrath is the effective leader of the Merchant Houses and thus representative for the changes they seek and already accomplished. They're turning Ravens Bluff into a more powerful and rich city, where the competent and ambitious are in control, not those luckily born with noble blood. While it is true one can inherit a fortune just as well as a title, a fool quickly loses the former, and wealth and power in our structures can be obtained even if you start at the bottom. The current head of the Bentbow House for example started as a lowly craftsman at the Guild of Fine Carvers and Furniture Makers. Lord Ambrath himself might have inherited great wealth, but his father didn't own a tenth of what the House is worth today.
Lord Blacktree on the other hand is clinging onto a status quo that ended together with the war. Siding with him is akin to holding together a collapsing building with nothing but your hands. It might work for a while, but in the end it only causes more damage and chaos than if you had given up on the past glory in time."

those who make History DC 20
Fenmarel, a halfelf, was Deputy Major, with O'Kane's disappearance he became Acting Mayor by default. In the closing days of the war, he was accused of conspiring with the enemy and having had a hand in Kane's kidnapping, but the supposed evidence was never made public. His death was officially determined to be by natural causes as the conditions in the dungeons were quite bad, with the city itself under attack little could be spared.

candycorn
2012-02-17, 03:09 PM
As soon as the mage finishes his dissertation, Magnus, who had been focusing quite closely on the words, responds, "In that case, five thousand gold... to me, not the temples... will be sufficient compensation for the task you wish of me."

Jeff the Green
2012-02-17, 07:36 PM
Chagrin flickers across Mirielle's face for an instant before she forces it away. "Fine, then, my lord. Your deal is acceptable enough." She resists the urge to imply that crossing Kelemvor's church can be hazardous to one's health.

Cardea
2012-02-18, 10:36 AM
Keeva

Keeva shifts her weight uncomfortably. Five grand. Five grand five grand five grand; fourteen hours, metal cogs mostly. Plating. Dust. Lots and lots of dust hate the dust but five grand? Thats... a whole lot but how am I going to get it get it get it get it hey wait a second. Wait a second. That... that mage. Is he reading my mind?

Keeva looks up at the mage, two sentences coming out of her. In her mind, Are you... can you hear me? And aloud, "I'll take the five grand."

Frog Dragon
2012-02-18, 10:47 AM
"Fine then." Jorran says. It seemed like none of them had any real choice in the matter. How irritating. Still, it was a good offer, any fool could see that. "I accept your offer." Jorran just hoped that the deal was truly what was being advertised.

TheFallenOne
2012-02-19, 05:19 AM
The lopsided negotiation concluded, you are led to some luxurious quarters to rest for a while, and the glamor almost makes you forget this is just another prison for now.
The trap is planned for shortly before dusk, that odd time after the bustling activity of honest working folk slowly dies down, but before the nightlife begins. As you step outside Ambrath's, for lack of a better word, palace, you become acutely aware that this is the first time you're really setting foot inside Ravens Bluff, and deep in your bones you have the unshakeable feeling that this now is the beginning of something new.

END OF PROLOGUE

we make a short pause here. You reached level 4 while resting

TheFallenOne
2012-02-20, 05:34 PM
I'm assuming now you go along with the plans of Ambrath for now. With the Prologue concluded, let me be clear you are free to act as you think prudent. Work for Ambrath, betray him to Blacktree, or just make a run for it and try to stay out of their squabbe, or whatever else you think of

http://imageshack.us/a/img838/4766/act1e.png

Appearantly the surprisingly strong and sudden storm kept the ships of the upper Dragon Reach still weary even hours after it passed, because even though you're new in the city you know there would normally be a lot more activity this close to the harbor. Beregor said he'd 'keep an eye on you' and signal Ambrath's household guard who are keeping a certain distance to you. All you'd have to do, it was assured to you, was keeping Lord Blacktree's allies occupied for some time and if necessary help with the capture.
You are walking a wide street, two- or three-floor buildings on both sides. The ground floor is always made of stone, though the top one is wood as often as not. Observant eyes might notice the often apparent age difference in lower and upper floors; Ravens Bluff is prospering and with no room to expand sideways inside the walls, the industrious folk instead build upward.
After a while, you see a man coming your way obviously reacting to spotting you. Judging from his fiery robes, he must be an arkanist of sorts and his eyes and facial features betray a hint of draconic blood. He stands still in the middle of the road some fifty feet away, adressing you. "Hello there, I'm here to deliver a message. Jorran Tolm, you are asked to follow me, for the conversation with an acquaintance in Luskan wasn't finished. There are still answers to give from both sides." From the way he talks he seems slightly unsure of himself, though not necessarily nervous; it just looks like he has no idea who you are or what exactly the message is supposed to mean.

candycorn
2012-02-20, 05:58 PM
Magnus lets out an almost visible sigh of relief, as he thinks to himself... Whew. At least I won't have to prattle with this addlebrained minion Blacktree chose to send here. That said, Jorran didn't exactly look like a man gifted with a silver tongue. I wonder if someone could just pretend to be Jorran. This fool doesn't seem to know who he's looking for, beyond a name. I wouldn't dream of it, especially since this Jorran didn't seem pleased at this business with Ambrath. I'd wager he's rather touchy about who speaks for him. Still, if this comes to blows, I haven't seen him turn down aid of a more physical nature. I best be ready to step in, if needed.

Sallera
2012-02-20, 06:26 PM
Trancing was usually a relaxing experience. Filing away the day's memories, sifting through a century's worth of old ones, reliving any that felt particularly relevant or appealing. But today, wherever she went, Aya couldn't shake the feeling someone was following her. Little flashes of purple or silver at the edge of her remembered vision, additions that fit the scene but certainly hadn't been there at the time. All the same, they seemed to make perfect sense, as though they had always been present and she simply never noticed. Returning to her favourite triumph, she catches a flare of power from the arrows that ensured a dragon's demise; even in her oldest memories, she can see faint grey threads running through the forest floor as the blood sinks into the hungry loam. And always, someone behind her, just out of sight and taunting her with its presence. Throwing away her hesitation, she dives through memories as fast as she can, surrendering to the strangeness and seeking only to experience as much of it as she can.

When she returns to the present world, the late afternoon sun catches on silver threads that glimmer with a promise of power, and she feels a connection to the goddess that before was but a vague understanding. Staring at the symbol, she smiles in comprehension, and asks her first blessings of Mystra.

~*~

On their way to the assigned place, Aya whispers a prayer, and grins in satisfaction as the world comes into even sharper focus than usual. The whorls of the knots in wooden buildings, the texture of the canvas sails in harbour, the eddies in the air as breezes blow at cross-purposes, even the hint of fire in the contact's eyes; the whole world was simply more... pleasant this way.

Still, Jorran? I was right not to discount the unexpected... glad it's not me, at least. Tilting her head curiously, she allows her hood to fall back slightly, giving her a better angle to scan the surroundings for Ambrath's copperskins. "Friend of yours, Jorran?"

Jeff the Green
2012-02-20, 10:31 PM
Between the ever-expanding stacks of books to be categorized, ancient codices that fare worse in sunlight than vampires, and a somewhat stunted social life, librarians are used to keeping strange hours. This is doubly true for librarians who moonlight as zombie hunters. Thus, Mirielle fell asleep quickly, even as the sun began to rise. She arose in the early afternoon and, donning her cassock over her chain shirt, stepped out for a short while. Kelemvor had seen fit to bless her with additional powers this day, and it seemed right to buy what she needed to take advantage of them.

@All:
Going to buy that wand of lesser vigor we'd talked about; it's 150 GP per person. Also the focus and material components for augury.

I shouldn't be out in the open like this. Not that I'm the best sneak-thief in the world, but I should still be trying to be less conspicuous.

Mirielle sighs. She walks the street, pretending to be completely lost in her own thoughts. She's had a lot of practice at it. Eventually she stops pretending, and is startled when the gaudily dressed dragonchild appears.

Frog Dragon
2012-02-21, 10:00 AM
"I wouldn't use the word 'friend'." Jorran states in response to Aya's question. He knew only one person who this "acquaintance" might be. Did the priestess have contacts with Lord Blacktree? It would have explained her presence in Harrowdale, though it was rather surprising that the priestess knew or cared that Jorran was here. Of course, that was assuming it was her in the first place, though no other possibility rose to Jorran's mind.

He had expected to have to actively hunt her down, so this was a step in a positive direction, but that didn't mean Jorran wasn't wary. Silver linings rarely came without a cloud. Lets just follow. Jorran muttered.

TheFallenOne
2012-02-21, 10:19 AM
The man nods, looking somewhat relieved. "Follow me then. I was told to hurry." He turns back the way he came, glancing back to make sure you followed before quickening his pace, and for a moment his eyes seem to linger on the sky, searching.

OK, Jorran seems to want to follow, though no idea how the others react to this turnaround, so only a short update

Aya
following his gaze, you notice an unusually large raven above that seems to be what the man was looking for

Jeff the Green
2012-02-21, 12:03 PM
Mirielle ***** one eyebrow at the Aya, Keeva, and Magnus before taking a deep breath and stepping forward to follow Jorran. This time she tries a bit harder not to get lost in thought.

Sallera
2012-02-21, 12:25 PM
"Heh. Well, why not?" Following along behind Jorran, Aya pays more attention to the surroundings than the wizard, although she tries not to let it show too much. Better make your move soon, copperskins. Or whatever you're wearing; I suppose you oughtn't be in uniform for this. Either way, I've got other things to worry about.

Fallen:Mostly, Aya's just keeping an eye on that bird. She doesn't like the idea of being followed back to Ambrath's place.

candycorn
2012-02-21, 03:01 PM
Magnus shrugs, and says, quietly, "I'd have thought we'd tarry here a bit, given the rough handling we received from our recent stormy journey. I guess one place is as good as another to tarry, though." With that, Magnus sets off down the road with Jorran, shield readied, and scanning the buildings for any threat.

Mechanics:Spot: [roll0]

TheFallenOne
2012-02-21, 03:23 PM
The man hustles off and you follow; he leads you through big and small streets with many twists and turns on the way and you are thouroughly lost, but your guide seems to know exactly where to go without hesitation. After a while, the activity around you gets rapidly higher and finally you end up in a wide street bustling with people when he slows down, panting. Appearantly that is enough. Whoever is following you, it seems they can't make a move when many people are around, so we are save for now. One of my..." He hesitates a moment, searching for the right word Employers will pick us up soon. Perhaps you have an idea who they are? Black armor, grey cloaks, play kinda rough. Wish I knew what I've gotten myself into. Oh, name's Vandroy by the way. Need something lit up or a bit more fire in your life, I'm your guy."

none of you know who he's talking about

and geez, that's the second big encounter you bypassed. My other group hesitated and ended up in a streetfight, Ambrath's guards on one end, Blacktree's on the other and the PCs in he middle.

Jorran, Mirielle, Aya
each of you noticed he had the eye on the sky when running, following a big raven leading the way

Sallera
2012-02-21, 04:34 PM
Oh, nice job, copperskins. Wait so long you screw up your end of the deal. Bet you'll try and blame it on us, too.

"Bird-eyed, are you? They must have been staying well out of sight if I didn't notice them. I suppose a city of this size has no shortage of footpads, though." Stretching lazily, Aya gives a brief glare back the way they came. Well, maybe I can still find a way to complete the deal, but it's not looking likely at this point.

candycorn
2012-02-21, 08:08 PM
Magnus glances at Aya, and back at the alley, after hearing the Mage's diatribe, and ponders for a moment. Great. Well, at least he gave me the vulnerability. People... People... How to clear out the people? Embrath may be a fool's fool, but I don't intend to back outta my deal, on account of a spokesman with a change of heart.

Magnus looks again at Aya, making sure that his gaze is met, before looking at the crowd, then back at her, then the crowd, then back... and then tilts his head to the side, quizzically.

Jeff the Green
2012-02-21, 10:53 PM
Mirille looks at the dragonchild and then back at her companions. She catches the meaningful look Magnus tosses at Aya. I think we can salvage this.

"Well, then," Mirielle says. "Looks like all we can do is wait." She puts curious emphasis on wait. "Maybe his employer can shed a little light on what Ambrath wanted."

She turns back to Vandroy. "You sounded hesitant calling them your employers, neighbor," she says amicably. "Are they paying you in a, shall we say, non-standard currency?"

TheFallenOne
2012-02-22, 07:17 AM
Oh, nice job, copperskins. Wait so long you screw up your end of the deal. Bet you'll try and blame it on us, too.

in case it wasn't clear, your job was to delay until Ambrath's men get in position. As it was you got out at speed immediately after contact and had a scouting advantage to boot. The copperskins never had a chance

"Yes yes wait, but keep moving, just a little more slowly." He walks down the street, and with many people and occasional horsecart around you need to stick close to each other. After Mirielle's question he hesitates a moment, grimacing and touching his jaw where a half-faded mark from a nasty impact is. "Well, it's a... kind of embarassing tale. Just arrived here today, you see, and wanted to make a little starting money with card tricks. Went to a seedy tavern called Rat's Nest and bet someone I could predict any card he turns over. So I just said 'Ace of Hearts' and when he turned the card over I used a little illusion to superimpose the ace on top of it." He pauses a moment, ovbiously expecting you to be impressed by this trick. "Would have worked like a charm if I had taken a look at the deck beforehand. As it was, the ace looked wrong and they noticed. Huge uproar, appearantly the people of this city have quite strict views on how to deal with tricksters.
Anyway, this guy, black armor, grey cloak, stands up and winks at me. I wink back and then he knocks me senseless with a single punch, telling the others he'll handle this and they saw nothing. Brings me to an abandoned warehouse with more of his ilk and they ask me some questions - in a Zone of Truth no less. Tell me I owe them my life - which I guess is true - and in return expect me to deliver a message and shake off some pursuers." He is silent for a moment as two watch officers walk by. "No idea who these guys are, but I have a gut feeling they might be a sucessor of the Four Ravens - you know, that former Thieves Guild? Been looking for a sign of them since I arrived here."

Jeff the Green
2012-02-22, 07:23 AM
An idea strikes Mirielle. "Why were you trying to find out about them?" she asks Vandroy. "In my experience, people who investigate such things tend to end up in my brethren's hands awaiting burial."

TheFallenOne
2012-02-22, 07:32 AM
"Hey, I'm not saying I advocate stealing people's purses, I'd just like, you know, to meet some people who stick it to those posh nobles and merchants. Those guys are all rules - well, rules for anybody but them - and business, but no fun. So messing with them is dangerous, granted, but better than just wiling away in monotony."

Jeff the Green
2012-02-22, 08:08 AM
Mirielle pretends to be greatly impressed by Vandroy's escapades. Her feigned expression of interest is a little rusty, but it gets the job done.

"I hate to tell you this, Vandroy, but you're working for one of those 'posh nobles.'" Mirielle says. "Lord Blacktree has some interest in Jorran here; we were sent to find out what it is. Would you be interested in ruining a nobleman's day?"

Sallera
2012-02-22, 02:30 PM
Aya shakes her head slightly in response to Magnus's look. Nothing I can do about that. Still... turning the messenger, Mirielle? Clever gamble, and if you pull it off, I'll be quite impressed.

Gazing at the raven, she tries to figure out where it's watching by the glint in its eyes. Copperskins ought to still be following us. Might have to slip away for a bit and find a greycloak, depending on how this goes, but that bird's a problem. Hard to bring it down without being obvious about it.

Ah... it wasn't, actually, although I can see it looking back. Your turnaround comment makes much more sense now. :smallredface: Guess we'll just say the misunderstanding was IC as well as OOC.

Spot: [roll0]

Frog Dragon
2012-02-22, 03:28 PM
"Though I'd rather see this acquaintance from Luskan." Jorran pipes in. "If this is who I think it is, I don't want to throw a chance like this away." He states. "I don't give one whit about Lord Blacktree, but I want to know what he and his contact are after." He pauses, mostly for effect. "Especially his contact. After that though..."

TheFallenOne
2012-02-22, 05:41 PM
Aya
sadly there are a multitude of ravens about, and your spot isn't enough to pick out the one from before

At Mirielle's words Vandroy pauses, perplexed. "Those guys work for a noble? Well, I certainly didn't expect that." His surprise, and maybe disappointment, seem quite genuine. It takes a moment for him to continue. "Well, I know who this Ambrath fellow is, so switching sides is certainly no improvement. I'm not in this because I want to and if I could still quietly slip away I would. But those greycloaks know who I am, and who you are incidentally, so I do this one job for them.

About a minute later, a scarred black-bearded man steps into view from behind a horsecart, greycloaked and clad in black armor. He musters you all for a moment, then nods. "Well done Vandroy. Jorran, please follow me, that building over there", he motions to the other end of the street "has been cleared out for a private meeting. As for the rest of you, if you want a little payback against Ambrath you may come as well." Though as he says this the look he is giving you does show a certain waryness.

candycorn
2012-02-22, 09:57 PM
Magnus pauses, taking in the new fellow. "I'm all for payback, but let's discuss payMENT. Embrath has offered us all quite a tidy sum to bring you to him. What can you offer, hm?"

Turning to Vandroy, Magnus states, "Also note that each of us here know who you are. A mage of little regard, not opposed to back alley swindling."

TheFallenOne
2012-02-22, 10:27 PM
"He's called Ambrath, kid. We can pay, but you should know fully well we can't outbid a man like him. So if money's all you care for, scurry off to your corrupt master. You prefer employment where you're not stabbed in the back when it's financially advisable, come with me."

Vandroy just shrugs in a 'eh, whatever' way.

candycorn
2012-02-23, 01:26 AM
"Only when politically advisable, then? Good, I always like to know where I stand." At this Magnus looks at Aya, then the rest. "How about it? Will we hear both sides of this tale before we decide? It's not as if we really owe anything to our employer. He practically kidnapped us, and then promised to hold us captive if we didn't accept his little plan."

Sallera
2012-02-23, 01:01 PM
Everyone involved in this matter knows far too much for my liking. Should have just kicked that mage in the shins and waited for the copperskins to get the whole thing over with, but he'd have been useless to them. I hope you know what you're doing, Magnus; I'm not really in the habit of playing mercenary.

Outwardly, Aya just shrugs as she catches Magnus's eye. "I don't care about greycloaks or copperskins, to be honest. We're already here, we may as well listen."

candycorn
2012-02-23, 01:21 PM
Magnus just looks back and shrugs. It's a bad situation, but either we try to turn back the clock, try to force this battleground into what Ambrath spent time and money creating, or we accept the ire of one man, and at least not be despised by the other. At this point, trying and failing would sign us over as enemies by one, and incompetents by the other. Not exactly words I want describing me. Besides, if we hear Blacktree out, and don't like it, we can salvage this situation with information for Ambrath... Maybe. At least it would be a damn sight better than returning emptyhanded.

Jeff the Green
2012-02-23, 01:26 PM
Great. First held prisoner by a figurative thief, now invited to join literal thieves. This gets better and better. Well. This is probably beyond salvaging for Ambrath.

"I'm not usually one to go back on my word," Mirielle says to no one in particular. "But under the circumstances, I'm more than willing to hear out our black-armored friends here."

TheFallenOne
2012-02-23, 02:35 PM
You are led to a rather ramshackle tavern identified by its sign as the 'Sleepy Dwarf', and you now know you're in the Swordspoint disctrict from remembering the sailor's tales of which inns and taverns are worth a visit and which aren't. Incidentally, this one isn't, horrible drinks and worse clientele.
A paper on the door says 'closed for private event' and once you enter it indeed proves cleared out and the only people inside are half a dozen greycloaks plus what must be Lord Blacktree judging from his military uniform.

The door quickly closes behind you, and you can't fail to notice the rather hostile looks directed at Jorran. "So we meet at last", Blacktree says, rising from the simple wooden chair he was sitting on. "I don't know what happened between you and Talisa, but for some reason she made me promise not to hurt you. Help your on your path even if I can, whatever that means. I assure you seeing your face does not enticit any friendly emotion in me, but I won't break an oath I made, least of all to her.
So now tell me", he finished, stepping closer. "Who made you kidnap my godson?"

"As for the rest of you, I heard you had some inconveniences because Embro's spies were efficient, but not quite efficient enough. I apologize for that. If you're looking for employment, we can always use upstanding and competent allies. I won't make you choose between me and Ambrath; if you don't want to get into the middle of this - and that might be the wise choice - walk away, no one will stop you. I'll even let Ambrath know I got what I wanted and you are of no further use to me so you become a low priority for him.
But if you choose to side with Ambrath, we will be enemies. As with any other corrupt, scheming bastard, be they noble, merchant or just a common criminal. This city is on the edge, and too many are pushing it to chaos and disaster for selfish gains."

Frog Dragon
2012-02-23, 03:57 PM
So that's what Blacktree wanted him for. In hindsight, maybe he should've just helped set up the ambush like Ambrath had ordered. But it was too late for that now, and he knew that he had to play his cards right. Blacktree seemingly didn't intend to hurt him, but he probably would have if not for this oath.

"Luskanite pirates." Jorran starts. His tone was grim, but he didn't try to force any remorse into his tone. Such might only insult the lord further. "I do not remember their names, only that they plotted to kill her. His kidnapping was a means to that end. I doubt their petty crew is even alive at this point. She would never have survived to face me had they not been taken out of the way somehow. For a year I thought I was the only one who survived that incident." He finishes. His recollection was spotty at best, and he could scarcely remember anything about his encounter with her. Neither could he well remember those who had hired him. Hopefully Blacktree would not question him much further.

candycorn
2012-02-24, 12:35 AM
Magnus stops to take in the accusation, and then Jorran not denying it. Ain't touching this one until he's well and truly done with this. He promised to spare Jorran; didn't say jack about me, and frankly, I've seen men do unpleasant things to bystanders who open their mouth at bad times with inopportune words.

Still, is EVERYONE here but me fond of kidnapping? Well, Blacktree seems of a decent enough sort, at least. The issue he wants Jorran for seems to be of little import to others, mostly family related, and not even blood at that. Also seems fairly old. The godson's probably alive, else Blacktree would have likely implicated Jorran in his death, so I suppose that could be a string to pull him by... Still, Embro is, at best, a rich thug. Not even subtle. This guy may not be subtle, or effective, but he seems honest, and at least he's talking the talk. I've only really got a couple questions, but I think I could work with this guy.

Magnus stands where he is, motionless, but clearly uncomfortable (by the expression on his face), and observes the discussion.

TheFallenOne
2012-02-24, 08:06 AM
Blacktree musters Jorran for some long, intense moments, trying to find any hints of dishonesty. Finally, he sighs. "Pity, I had hoped you know more. But at least we learned this may have been a hit aimed at her, not at me. Which is disturbing in its own right.
You are free to go if you want. But rest assured we will keep an eye on you, Tolm. Don't try to pick up your former... career in our city. I must leave now, if you have further matters to discuss Barristan will handle it." The broadshouldered man he indicates must must be in his fifties or even older, but still in good physical shape. His face is all hard lines, and his cold blue eyes show no emotion; they look unreal and lifeless, like someone painted the iris and pupil on a orb hewn from marble.

if you can identify where I stole this physical description from you already know a lot about that guy. No googling please

TheFallenOne
2012-02-24, 08:07 AM
*sigh* :smallannoyed:

Jeff the Green
2012-02-24, 08:46 AM
Kidnapping. Well, that's one thing I agree with the saints on, and Lord Blacktree too, apparently. Mirielle studies Jorran closely. It's not remorse she sees. No, no remorse. But something? Something there's worth paying attention to. And in any case, that flaming axe thing will come in handy when it comes time to deliver Cybrarvain to justice.

She turns to look at Blacktree's stone-eyed second.

"Well, Barristan," Mirielle says, "your friend knows how to make an impression. I can't say I have any argument with his wanting to know who kidnapped his godson. And I get the sense that he is an honorable man, or at least can be. But then, even thieves can be honorable. I can't speak for the rest of my companions, but I could see myself working with him, maybe even for him, if you can lay my worries to rest.

"Our draconic guide seemed to think you might have something to do with a group called the Four Ravens. That bird he was following doesn't exactly make me less suspicious. Do you work for them, or for anyone who might seek to replace them?"

I assume you'll make Sense Motive checks secretly, TFO? My modifier is +3, and hopefully the others are paying attention as well.

TheFallenOne
2012-02-24, 09:04 AM
A smile crosses Barristan's face for a short moment, but it betrays no joy or any other emotion. It's just a cold, dead mask, like someone painted a grin on a bare skull. It's nothing human, just another configuration of his face. His voice is deep and flat, and Vandroy visibly swallows when the greycloak's gaze falls upon him after Mirielle voices his prior musings. "The Ravens are long gone and they will have no successor under my watch. That's all I'll say to that."

candycorn
2012-02-24, 09:06 AM
As Blacktree leaves, Magnus mentally kicks himself. Damn! One less question I can ask.

Magnus then speaks up, "You don't seem like a man who likes to mince words, Barristan, so I'll be direct. We've all seen what Embro will do to get what he wants... What sort of work can we expect working for Lord Blacktree?"

TheFallenOne
2012-02-24, 10:41 AM
"One, you'd work for me, not the general. Two, we don't have any tasks open for you now, but if we do it can be information gathering, hunting a murderer or foiling the plots of people like Ambrath in whatever way available.
What you won't do is hurt people who don't have it coming. That goes no matter if you work for us or not.
Get settled in the city, lay low until Ambrath realizes there's nothing to gain from you. You want work, you'll hear from us soon enough."
He gives a short signal, and the man who picked you up tosses Vandroy a bag evidently filled with coins judging from the sound when the dragonblood catches it. Shortly after, another bag is given to you. "For cooperating so swifty, would have been a nasty streetfight otherwise", he explains. 100 platin for the five of you is vastly less than Ambrath promised, but then again all you had to do is follow a cocky mage.

candycorn
2012-02-24, 01:08 PM
Magnus accepts the coin (after all, no sense in turning down money that's already been earned), and turns to leave. Halfway to the door, he turns around and says, "Anyone know a good place to hole up for a bit? I have personal business to attend to, but I'd rather everyone here be able to contact me, should they choose to seek my company."

Sallera
2012-02-24, 02:28 PM
"Over and done with is good enough," Aya replies, taking the coin with a shrug. Abandoning a deal tastes bad enough without adding to it, and never mind who we made it with.

"I'll probably be at the Temple of Mystra, myself. Or at least, you can get a message to me there." Pointing a finger at Vandroy, she adds "And you might do well to spend a little time there yourself. You've probably figured it out this time, but using the Art for card tricks of all things is only going to lead to trouble." Adopting an innocent smile, she tilts her head slightly. "Not to make any particular judgements on conning people in the first place, but if it's worth doing with magic, it's worth doing without, right?"

"The Sanctuary sounded like a nice enough place. Not the type Ambrath's sort would frequent, either. It's in Swordspoint somewhere."

TheFallenOne
2012-02-24, 02:37 PM
"Hey, I did it mostly for entertainment! What good is magic if you can't use it for a little fun?" He pauses, noticing the look the scarred greycloak from before gives him, then flinches away and instinctively touches the bruise on his jaw. He quickly jumps at Aya's change of topic. "Oh yeah the Sanctuary! I actually passed by that when I first walked through the city. It should be just one street away, right next to the park."

there is a Clue card for the park. You can get it with a DC 20 Knowledge Local

candycorn
2012-02-24, 02:40 PM
"In that case, I'll be at the Sanctuary, for a brief time, before setting off to see an acquaintance outside town. There might be some work in it, and likely some coin. Also, I wouldn't turn down a bit of assistance. Likely be heading out in a day or two." With that, Magnus departs towards the Sanctuary.

Sallera
2012-02-24, 02:56 PM
"A park, eh? Perfect location then." In case I ever need to make a discreet entrance, that is. "At any rate, if I haven't got anything better to do by then, I might take you up on that. You know where to find me." With a wave, Aya slips outside, doing her best to vanish into the crowd and shake off any trailing copperskins as she makes her way to the Temple.

Spot for any tails (sometimes, being a bit paranoid is helpful): [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]

Knowledge: Local for that park: [roll2]

TheFallenOne
2012-02-24, 03:34 PM
OK, I can let Aya move forward as I'm reasonably certain no one else will go to the temple of Mystra. Can't say the same for the Sanctuary though

Mystra's temple proves to be an impressive mock castle, bristling with magical energy as small strings of lightning race along the outer walls in uneven intervals. The main entrance is a wide gate flanked by steel statues - though them being animated golems would be a reasonable guess - upholding a massive stone block that would completely seal the entrance if dropped.
Upon entering, Aya can feel the unusual strength of the Weave here, and a priest approaches her. The young man seems rather informally dressed for a priest of Mystra, and when he recognizes the sign on Aya's bracer he stops a moment in pleasant surprise. "Mystra be with you, friend. I am Dalair Kerson, it is always a delight to meet a member of the Order. Are you here on official business or just for prayer? Either way, if there is anything I can help you with I'll gladly do so."

knowledge architecture and arcane might reveal things

Sallera
2012-02-24, 04:14 PM
"The same to you," Aya replies in greeting. "I am Aya Llewellyn; I'm going to be in town for a while, so I wanted to let the ranking members here know I'm around, should any business come up. And if there's a place here I can use for trance and prayer while I'm in town, that would also be appreciated."

Knowledge: Architecture: [roll0]
Knowledge: Arcana: [roll1]

Jeff the Green
2012-02-24, 04:19 PM
"I'll come with you, Magnus," Mirielle tells the blacksmith. "Kelemvor is worshiped less in temples than on deathbeds, so I won't be able to avail upon my church for a bed. Besides, if your work could be made easier by my magic, perhaps we could arrange a trade of sorts."

TheFallenOne
2012-02-24, 04:26 PM
Aya

not good enough rolls I fear

The priest's smile abruptly falters at Aya's words. "It is shameful indeed having to refuse you when asked for so little. We barely have room for our own clergy, much of the temple's interior is still being repaired and renovated after a recent... accident. We always have a suite open for visiting dignitaries, but I am afraid, forgive me for saying so, it is above your station. I'm sure though the High Priestess won't object to having you stay there tonight instead of sending you forth into the cold dark. Tomorrow though, you must find shelter elsewhere, it will be at least a week until we'll be able to house you or other guests."

candycorn
2012-02-24, 04:54 PM
"I'll come with you, Magnus," Mirielle tells the blacksmith. "Kelemvor is worshiped less in temples than on deathbeds, so I won't be able to avail upon my church for a bed. Besides, if your work could be made easier by my magic, perhaps we could arrange a trade of sorts."

Magnus slows to allow Mirielle to catch up. "I've no doubt it could, actually... I take it that you have something that you believe I could assist you with? I must admit, I'm intrigued."

Jeff the Green
2012-02-24, 05:12 PM
Mirielle pulls a wry face. "Unfortunately, yes," she says. "I suppose it makes sense to start at the beginning. It always does. Some day I'd like to hear a story that starts at the end. Anyway, I'm from Chondath, spent the last eight years working in the church's records repository. Last year it burnt down. It had help. Most of the records were destroyed, and several of my friends and mentors died."

Mirielle sighs, collects herself, and continues.

"I had some favors to call in, and I was able to find out who did it. An assassin called Cybrarvain. I tracked him up to Ylraphon, but the trail went cold, until a month ago. A friend of mine who sells spices around the Sea of Fallen Stars heard he's here in Ravens Bluff. So I booked passage with Asam, and you know the rest.

"So there it is. I need to find the man who murdered my surrogate family and figure out something suitable to do to him. Terribly cliched. What about you?"

Sallera
2012-02-24, 05:32 PM
"An... accident, was it?" Aya replies, repeating the priest's slight hesitation without any obvious change of expression. "Well, that's fine, even one night would be helpful. Are there other members of the Knights or the Order here?"

candycorn
2012-02-24, 05:44 PM
Magnus listens to the tale, then responds... "Cybrarvain? I don't know much of assassins, but I might be able to offer some assistance. Still, a man that would burn down an entire library to kill one man... Seems a bit... excessive."

Magnus continues, as he walks, looking straight ahead, as if talking to the air, "I am not here to seek out old enemies, truth be told. I've had my share of them, but most died at the hands of the Zhents, and the rest, well, I couldn't tell one orc from another on a good day, and those... They weren't good days. Besides, I cannot blame drops of rain for the flood. I just want to prevent repeats of the past. I intend to accomplish a small amount towards that in the days to follow, while I seek out information on the Dwarven clan of Roldilar."

TheFallenOne
2012-02-24, 06:18 PM
The Halls of Mystery

"I'm afraid not. A group of them was scheduled to arrive here sometime soon, but because of our situation they'll take base elsewhere instead. Tantras, far as I remember." He musters the green-skinned elf for a moment, but knowing she's in the Order does wonders for loosening his tongue. "Nasty business. The Gondites were testing some kind of flying contraption. When it passed over our halls, the defensive abjurations disrupted the mechanism and it crashed, causing extensive damage. The Turning Wheel covers the cost of repair, but it will still take some time. What's more, it's become a political issue with the Clerical Circle debating whether we have the right to use magics on our property that extend to the air above, and if so how far."

normally you wouldn't get the whole tale this easily, but you obviously have a diplomatic advantage here
at the conclusion of the conversation you are led to a quite luxurious suite you can use to rest

The Sanctuary

One needs to look very closely to see the stone beneath the thick vines covering the entire structure, and the inside continues the theme. There's a small entrance hall, with corridors left and right to the apartments, and right behind the reception the wall is simply open, giving view on a round atrium housing bushes, flowers and even some duskwood and blueleaf trees. No one is at the reception except a hawk that flies off as soon as you enter, and shortly afterward an elderly druid enters from the atrium, smiling grandfatherly at his guests. "Welcome to The Sanctuary. My name is Rowan Wilander and I do my best to make this place live up to its name. How can I help you?"

currently here: Mirielle and Magnus. Jorran and Keeva possibly

lodging per day is 2 GP, which gives a small private room with a second door opening to the atrium

candycorn
2012-02-24, 06:34 PM
The Sanctuary

Smiling as best he can, Magnus speaks, "Good day, Sir Wilander. I am Magnus Erickksen. My acquaintance and I are new here in Ravens Bluff, and were looking for lodging, and perhaps to hear a bit more of this fair city of yours. Might you have rooms available?"

TheFallenOne
2012-02-25, 02:28 PM
need to know where Keeva and Jorran head before continuing. If no information is given in the next day they are 'dragged along' to the Sanctuary

Sallera
2012-02-25, 05:00 PM
Aya presses her lips together in disapproval at the tale. "Really? It's not as though the Halls are easy to miss. Although I suppose if the Gondites had the sense to avoid bringing unstable mechanisms near warded property, they'd have had the sense not to take to the air over the city in the first place."

"That aside, thank you for the information. I suppose I'll have to send word to the others when they arrive, but for now, if something comes up that needs a pair of eyes or a pair of arrows, let me know. I'll try to check in regularly as long as I'm in town."

TheFallenOne
2012-02-26, 02:34 PM
The Sanctuary

"Oh, yes I do. Many cityfolk are quite unused to the sound of birdsong mere feet away. A shame really when we unlearn to see the beauty in simply things like that." He bends own, taking 4 keys from under the table an walking you to the left corridor; it arcs to the right side and eventually should form a circle, meeting the righthand corridor in the reception area. Halfway, you come to some stairs, leading to the second floor with the same arrangement as the first.
The rooms are relatively small, but comfortable. The bed's 'matress' seems to be made of what looks, feels and smells like freshly fallen autumn leaves, dry but soft, with a simple woolen blanket as the only concession to conformity. "How long do you intend to stay?"

5 rooms free: 2 ground floor, 3 upper floor. All are connected to the atrium(upper floor with thick vines purposefully grown into ladder substitutes)

The Halls of Mystery

"Well, they did learn; they now built a hangar a bit outside the city walls for their experiments", the priest muses as he walks Aya to her room for the night. It is quite luxurious as befits visiting high-ranking priests, Guild's archmages and similar. Two large darkwood bookshelves stand nearly empty except for maybe a dozen tomes; either they are meant to house books tailored to the visitor's liking or for the books he brings himself.

Jeff the Green
2012-02-26, 03:35 PM
Mirielle considers the question briefly. "I think at least a few nights," she says, glancing at the three others. "I'm planning on staying in Ravens Bluff for quite a while, but I'll need time to find more permanent quarters."

She looks sheepishly at the rooms. "If you don't mind, I'll take one of the ground-floor rooms. I've grown to dislike sleeping upstairs."

candycorn
2012-02-26, 07:39 PM
Magnus paused for a moment, before replying, "I should think at least a week. I prefer a room off the ground. I've quite a bit of business in the city and the surrounding area, and would like somewhere I know I can return to." Magnus pulls out a single platinum coin, and four gold coins, laying them down at the reception area. "I would imagine anyone who is accustomed to travel would appreciate sleeping in nature. I know I always looked forward to the sounds of the forest outside my tent when I traveled. On a side note, I have cause to seek some minor magical gear tomorrow. Might you have an idea of the best place to look?"

TheFallenOne
2012-02-26, 07:59 PM
The Sanctuary

Rowan pauses in surprise for a moment. "Haven't heard of Quehulio's yet? One of the biggest magic shops in the whole of Faerun, unless you're looking for something really rare and expensive they have it on stock. Well, except scrolls, potions and the like of a divine nature. For those you have to look in the temples."

Quehulio's was mentioned in the recruiting thread, all characters would have heard of it

candycorn
2012-02-26, 08:22 PM
Magnus smiles, and replies, "There is a great deal of difference between hearing of a place, and being able to find it. I've got no desire to lose my way in town."

TheFallenOne
2012-02-27, 09:38 PM
all of you have a pleasant and uneventful night, you can start the next day

Sallera
at your trancing you suddenly find yourself back at the moment you entered the deck to meet Asam, though for some reason you notice that the blond guy isn't with you. After noticing this you are shifted to another scene from your memories. The whole thing lasts maybe 2 seconds.

Cardea
2012-02-27, 11:36 PM
Keeva

Keeva woke up slowly. She didn't even remember where she was. Yesterday seemed more like a blur than an actual thing; far less money at the end of it, but hopefully she'd be left alone by Ambrath. The coin felt good in her bag, but it was offset. She still hadn't made any progress on her task at hand. A whole day; wasted! Her Master would've hit her in the back of the head with her staff by now.

She readied herself in the morning light, getting ready to try and... actually do something today. There was Quehulios; she might be able to find someone there who wasn't ignorant to how things were formed. Maybe even get hired; Oghma knows she could use the coin.

Edited because I'm a bit blunder-prone currently.

TheFallenOne
2012-02-27, 11:47 PM
as said above Keeva was dragged along to the Sanctuary, lacking decisions to the contrary. It is also the closest inn to your meetingplace with Blacktree, and directions to the Sanctuary were given by Vandroy. I can see no way how you could have ended in another inn separate from the rest of the group unless you actively tried go separate yourself

Cardea
2012-02-28, 12:40 AM
:smallredface:
Sorry. I missed that. Will edit accordingly.

Jeff the Green
2012-02-28, 07:22 PM
Mirielle wakes up shortly before dawn to bird song and the smell of the leaves in her bed. Oh crap. Heldantor tricked me into trying his whiskey and left me in the woods again. She looks around, and remembers where she is, and breathes a sigh of relief. She'd still have preferred the musty scent of books and scrolls, but at least she doesn't have to burn a spell to cure a hangover.

She rises and performs her morning devotions, prostrating herself and whispering a few words in Celestial. Then she slips a few copper pieces to the rust monster larva she bought in Ylraphon, pulls on her armor and vestments, and grabs her haversack.

Before she leaves the Sanctuary, she begs a slip of parchment from Wilander and leaves a note for her companions.

Hope you had a good night. I've gone to catch up with an acquaintance of mine, Aldar the Rashemi, and see if he can give me any advice about finding that assassin I told you about. Last I heard, Aldar's fairly well known, so if you need to, it shouldn't be too hard to find me. I'll catch you up later; perhaps we could meet in Fiddler's Green around lunch? Leave a note with Wilander.

-Mirielle

Satisfied with her note, Mirielle walks out and heads to Aldar's.

@TFO
Going to use Aldar as one of those merchant contacts from Mercantile Background you'd talked about; I'll let you make up details.

Sallera
2012-02-29, 02:37 AM
Aya's night is spent carefully not taking advantage of most of the luxury provided; although she does take the opportunity to bathe, at least, the feeling of being somewhere she wasn't supposed to keeps a constant presence in the back of her mind. The strange discrepancy in her memories while trancing occupies her thoughts as she eats a quick breakfast from the pockets of her cloak; even the experience of her first awakening to magic the previous day hadn't contained anything obviously false, and she couldn't remember ever seeing something so clearly wrong in a trance before. Given where she was, it seemed too significant to ignore... but unfortunately, she couldn't seem to make any sense of it. Perhaps it would become clearer in time.

Ambrath's ire was unlikely to be entirely abated by Blacktree's promised message that he'd gained what he wanted, and she could see Magnus about his proposed job tonight or tomorrow, so after finding Dalair and letting him know she was leaving, she pulls her hood up and makes her way quietly through the streets to deal with unrelated business. The Temple of Gond is tempting, but given the timing of her visit, it would probably be considered politic for a follower of Mystra - especially an official one - to avoid the Turning Wheel for the time being. Instead, she heads for the more practical areas of the merchant districts, wandering the busy streets without seeming purpose and listening to the gossip of the more adventurous looking shoppers as she browses the wares on display. Reputations were an important tool, and one she was still learning how to use, but the first step was always collecting them.

Gather Information: [roll0] - Mostly looking for the public's general opinion of Wyrmhoard's quality, and perhaps any recent news about them. May as well start building the picture.

candycorn
2012-02-29, 11:02 AM
Magnus spent half the night tossing and turning, waking up bleary-eyed. Ugh, nice place, but a bit too... elven for my taste. Still, if Ambrath doesn't often send people here, it's good for a couple days of peace, at least. He gets up, and prepares himself, and heads out. The note from Mirielle seems intriguing, and he scrawls a quick response across the bottom.

Checking out shopping, perhaps Quehulio's. Fiddler's Green's good. See you there. -M

At that, Magnus heads out, and begins seeking out Quehulio's.

Frog Dragon
2012-03-01, 01:11 PM
It had not been a particularly good night's sleep for Jorran, despite the relative quality of The Sanctuary's beds. He finally knew where to find the priestess. He had considered seeking some sort of audience with her now, but decided against it.

He walked down and took a look at the note. It sounded like a good idea to meet up with the rest. He clumsily scribbled out his own response. Jorran rarely actually had to write anything, and it was a skill he had learned quite late. His haphazard script read: Don't know Fiddler's Green, but I'll be there.

-Jorran

He finished, imitating Mirielle's signature. Then he got out. Lord Blacktree was a definite point of interest now, and he didn't have business here right now. He wanted to know who he was dealing with. He also wanted to know what kind of contacts he had. That might help narrow down what the priestess was affiliated with.

Gather Info on Lord Blacktree, especially if he has affiliations with any churches. He doesn't really have much to go on, so he'll just try to pick up something useful via watering hole gossip and stuff like that.

[roll0] Too bad I don't have enough skill points to spare for gather info..

TheFallenOne
2012-03-01, 07:58 PM
Try to include your location in the header of your post. If you go around asking for information, use the city district once the map is ready. For now I'll just keep it open

Aya

Gather Information result:
Wyrmhoard doesn't produce anything themselves; instead they have contracts with various smiths, tailors, toolmakers etc to buy in quantity for reduced price. Adventurers like them because here they can find all essentials and more for adventuring without having to thrift through half a dozen stores. The quality is good, with a focus on practicability and durability.
One common complaint though is they still they still think like several decades ago when they were adventurers themselves and are slow to adapt to new ideas and innovations.

Jorran

Gather Information result:
He has mostly ties to the military; no word about whether he has any church affiliation. Though som claim he offered Blackwood Manor as shelter to priestesses of Sharess during the war.

Magnus - Quehulio's

Judging from Quehulio's facade, the entrance once was a way smaller building, but later the rest of the four-story structure spanning half a block was built around it. The huge windows don't show the inside and seem purely ornamental, depicting murals of magical creatures or scenes from local history.
A large signboard is placed to the right of the entrance reading By entering this building, you agree to have all active magical effects purged from you and not to use further magical or quasimagical effects from spell, item, innate ability or any other source while within the confines. The text goes on quite a while in smaller writing after this.

yes, Quehulio's has an E.U.L.A.
if you enter, you are targeted by a Dispel Magic. A young mage greets you in the entrance hall and asks how he can help you

Mirielle - Ondrelspires

well, let's say Aldar is one of the financial backers of Nightbird House. They primarily deal in luxury items like fancy women's clothes, perfume and jewelry. You remember him fondly, he visited your foster parents from time to time, always bringing a small and nice present for young Mirielle. He resides in an apartment in Ondrelspires. You haven't seen or heard much from him for over 10 years, though after the tragedy with your parents he visited to offer his condolences.

Mirielle is stopped by the luxurious apartment building's security force and her request to meet Aldar is relayed inside. After some minutes of waiting, she is led inside; his apartment is on the second floor and richly decorated in the style of his homeland.
At first when they meet the atmosphere is oddly awkward, but then he quickly smiles widely. "Miri, it's been ages since I've seen you!" He has visibly aged with his once ravenblack hair now salt and pepper; from what she recalls, he's in his early fifties. "What leads you to the Bluff? If you need a place to stay, I have some friends in the Ampner family. They can give you a friendly price in one of their better apartment buildings."

candycorn
2012-03-02, 02:55 AM
Quehulio's

Magnus shrugs, and enters the establishment. When the mage greets him, Magnus replies, "I've recently come into a small amount of coin, and am looking for something that will heal me on the road. I've gone through quite a few potions, and would prefer something that a layman could use, but that wouldn't be consumed in the using. Also, I anticipate a bit of need for some short term backup support. Something quick, that can see in the dark, ideally, and also usable by a layperson. Also preferable if it doesn't consume itself in the using. Can you help me?"

@DM:Looking for a:
Healing Belt
Amber Amulet of Vermin (Giant Wasp) -Yes, I know the arena bans them, but only because the structure of the arena means the things may as well be *at will*.

Jeff the Green
2012-03-02, 05:06 AM
Ondrelspires

Mirielle smiles widely. She hasn't been called Miri in a long time, and the old nickname brings back bittersweet memories. "It's so good to see you, Aldar! It looks like business is going well, and the years haven't treated you that badly, either.

"A recommendation for an apartment would be wonderful. I'm here on 'church business,' as they like to call it, and I'll be here for a while. I'm staying at the Sanctuary for now. It's comfortable enough," Mirielle says with a wry smile, "but waking up to bird calls reminds me too much of my novitiate."

She sizes up the graying man. "I mostly came to see how you've been, but I also need some advice. I don't imagine you heard what happened to the library down in Chondath?"

TheFallenOne
2012-03-02, 08:48 AM
Quehulio's

No not only because of that, the pricing is just way off. Once per day a CR 3 with nice poison. Compare to an Eternal Wand of Summon Monster/SNA III. You lose versatility and 1 use instead of 2, get longer duration, easier activation and pay a fraction of the price.
No Amber Amulets, sorry.

Magnus has a tingling sensation when he crosses the treshold, and his formed Soulmelds are stripped from his body. Some moments later they reappear though, and the apprentice mage greeting him pauses in puzzlement. He consults a thin booklet that seems to contain charts with descriptive text far as Magnus can see, looking up multiple times to inspect the smith. "Alright, you're clear. How can I help you?"
Upon describing his wish, Magnus is quickly led to the left side of the ground floor that displays a myriad of different belts, boots and gauntlets. "This is a Healing Belt, very popular choice. The specifics are explained here", the mage says, picking up a leaflet next to the belts.

Ondrelspires

"Sure, just tell me how much you can afford to spend on it, they got some quite fancy places. But a little luxury like here is nice to have, good place, own security force, a vault... Though the Sanctuary sure is nice for those wilderness folk, but that was never your thing, was it? I always got the brightest smile out of you when bringing you a dusty old tome."
He furrows his brow in puzzlement. "Library in Chondath? No, what of it?"