PDA

View Full Version : Subscription Error?

Story Time
2012-01-29, 05:58 AM
Well, it finally happened to me. A post was made in a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218471&page=6) and every time I go there, the User Control Panel listing for subscribed threads does not up-date that I accessed the content.

I suppose the staff may say that it is a known error or that I should check to see if the error goes away after the next post in that thread is made. So...I'll try to keep that in mind to be helpful. Is there anything else that I can do in the mean-time?

Douglas
2012-01-29, 02:00 PM
Looks like a combination of a double post and the failed new page creation bug. If you look at what's shown in the reply page's thread view, you'll see that the most recent post is duplicated. Looking at post numbers in the main thread view, it also straddles the new page line - the first copy is the last post on one page and the second is the first post on the next page.

The new page that the second copy of the post is on failed to get created when the post was made. This happens randomly every so often due to our current server capacity problems. Because of this, you cannot view that page and thus cannot view the newest post. There is a new post that you have not viewed, your subscription is absolutely correct about that, but you can't view that post because of the error.

The new page will be created when the next post is made, at which point you will be able to view it and clear your subscription notice. There is a chance that the new page creation will fail again, but it happening twice in a row on the same thread is rare and eventually it will succeed.

If you really want to get the subscription notice cleared without waiting, you could try changing your personal posts per page setting temporarily. That would shift where the new page boundary is for you, making it almost certain that the appropriate page is available to view. Making a new post specifically to clear the error would also work, but the moderators have repeatedly requested that people not do that.

Story Time
2012-01-30, 02:26 AM
That was very informative! Thanks a bunch. I'll try some of those suggestions.

That did it. I changed the settings to view fourty posts per page and the double-post appeared. The Subscription List then ceased displaying the thread as predicted. A good call, Douglas.