PDA

View Full Version : The Silent Revolution (IC)

DaedalusMkV
2012-01-29, 03:17 PM
After the five members of your Cell arrive on the Varyag, preparations for departure began immediately. The transition into the Warp was a relatively smooth one, considering, though the sixteen days transit time to Alterus was as unpleasant as any Warp travel tends to be. Your cabins, though small and poorly appointed, are at least grouped close together which gives the lot of you plenty of time to get to know each other and go over the details of your mission, namely to discover the source of the recent anti-Imperial activity on Alterus, particularly in connection to the attack on the Imperial Garrison at Fortress Malkin, and eliminate it by whatever means you deem necessary.

You were provided with a detailed analysis of Alterus III, including a short history of recent events, as well as a summarized report on the particulars of the Malkin Massacre; not much material to work with, unfortunately, and left to your own devices. Eventually, you experience the unnerving sensation of the transition back to realspace and an announcement over the Varyag's intercom, the Captain of the redoubtable transport called you into his stateroom.

Captain Vilk appears to be middle-aged, but the unmistakable signs of Juvenat treatments mean he could be anywhere from 60 years old to more than twice that. "As I'm sure you've noticed, we've arrived at Alterus. The Inquisitor asked me to provide you with a few things before we send you off in the shuttle, so let's make this quick." First, he gestures to a small crate sitting on the floot near his desk. "Inside that is a set of demolitions equipment of some sort, or at least so I was told. I don't know what it's for, and I don't much want to know." Even as he talks, he reaches into a drawer on the desk and draws forth a stack of papers, which he hands to Bethesda. "These are false identities, a product of my finest Scrivener during our journey. Each one lists a false planet of origin and solid credentials establishing you as legitimate travelers to Alterus III. They'll pass any basic inspection but try to avoid serious scrutiny, because it's not too hard to figure out that none of these people existed a month ago." Another object is retrieved from the desk and placed in front of you, this time a small device with a number of antennas, dials and wires. "This here is a long-range vox transmitter keyed to communicate with the Astropathic outpost in this system. Use this if you need to contact Inquisitor Malekor for any reason, and make sure you use the code-words you've been taught. I'm sure you can figure out how to use it. Lastly he pulls a data-slate out of a coat pocket and hands it carefully to Drake. "Finally, this lists the hab you've been provided with in Makhar city, as well as a few contacts on Alterus. Any questions?"

The Architect
2012-01-29, 04:37 PM
Carlisle Faust speaks up first, wearing his coat over an bodyglove and loose pants

"Are there any leads that we could use to give us an initial direction? Or forensic reports or prisoners in regards those who attacked the fortess?"

Whiskeyjack
2012-01-29, 04:48 PM
Bethesda accepts the false identities with a seeming air of distaste. "Oh, the stews we slog in in service to Him..." she mutters as she checks each one, getting an idea of each acolyte's false identity before handing them over to their respective owners. "I suggest our Mechanicus take possession of the vox unit, that it's machine spirit feels comfortable and strong should we require its use. I'll take the demolitions. My Arbites identification can quell suspicions if those are discovered more easily than any of you reprobates," she smiles thinly, only half-joking. "Besides, enforcers know that we Arbites work undercover to see that those who act against the Adeptus Terra are brought to swift justice. They will understand that should we need reveal ourselves to local authorities or to the planetary Precinct-Fortress." Still her voice is slightly excited: she's too junior to do undercover work by Arbites standards but being trusted to do so by the Master is quite exhilarating.

Any info I can glean on our false personalities?

Caimheul
2012-01-29, 09:17 PM
Father Augustus

The priest chuckles good-naturedly at the arbitrator's comment "Reprobate? I hardly think I fit that description suits myself, officer. Besides, a traveling priest and his retinue of pilgrims is hardly likely to raise too many eyebrows, this would hardly be the most eclectic bunch I've ever seen." The priest glances around at the cell assembled around him and the muses half to himself. "This is exactly the sort of planet the Emperor used to lead me to as civil war can breed heresy amongst the populace. In my experience, most of the faithful would rather help a priest than hinder him and risk the accusation of heresy," he says with a wink at the end. His voice is steady and confident, the Emperor has lead him here, and will watch over them, for they are doing His work. A common priest's robe is draped over his armour, well-used sword and pistol belted around his waist. The sword bears his familial crest on the hilt while the rest of his accouterments are branded with the stylized I of the Adeptus Ministorum.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100526173418/warhammer40k/images/b/bf/Adeptus_Ministorum_Symbol.jpg

Whiskeyjack
2012-01-29, 10:23 PM
"Not necessarily uncommon for one with an Arbites background to protect a Ministorum cleric. I don't think my garb will be too out of place on a world wracked with civil strife," she muses. In her full carapace, Bethesda cuts an imposing figure, hand resting gently on the pommel of her shock maul and half her face concealed by her visored helm. In one holster rests her standard-issue Ius pistol while her shotgun remains mag-locked to the riot shield that she casually carries by a strap. "Though I think this enforcer captain would be the best place to start. I can't see him and I not seeing eye-to-eye on matters of public safety." She pauses a moment befor more closely inspecting the "demolitions" she's taken into her custody.

Caimheul
2012-01-29, 10:30 PM
"And not uncommon for a member of the clergy to aid an arbitrator in their investigations of heresy and sedition." A sudden thought strikes the priest looking at the crate containing questionable supplies. "Hmmmm... Captain, I hate to impose but would it be possible for a member of your crew to quickly emblazon that box with the sign of the Adeptus Ministorum? That should make it easier to pass customs, especially if I claim it contains holy relics that are in my charge."

Thanatos 51-50
2012-01-29, 11:14 PM
The cogboy chitters his mandibles excitedly at the joy of technology, cradling the vox-unit and chattering a short blessng in Binary.
"You are adept in the Art of Demolitions as well, Officer?" He questions the Arbite. "This is most fortuitous. Tell m W are those charges unidirectional? I find that to bear a greater tactical relevance than the omnidirectional blast I am so often sadld wth. Shoddy work, but..."
The Sollex Tech-brother continues for a few more seconds, rattling of the remainder of his speech in binary, as if reciting Scripture.

"Anyway, I am of the impression a heretek cult may be operating in the area. Perhaps a Secutor Trainee would not be amiss, Revrand?"

Caimheul
2012-01-29, 11:19 PM
"While it is often unusual for members of the Adeptus Ministorum to travel with one such as yourself due to certain misconceptions they hold, your presence could be explained as a means of maintaining our equipment. I have found myself called to a feral world or two in the past and the presence of one of your order would have been most beneficial."

Whiskeyjack
2012-01-29, 11:40 PM
"I am not as well-versed in the art of sacred explosives as you perhaps are. However, it's less unusual for an Arbitrator to carry such things around, and a lawman doing so lends an air of authority to it. Though I'd be happy to defer placement and the like to your training, Drake."

Bethesda passes the devices over to the Tech-Priest. "What can you tell me about them?" She continues to listen even as she flicks on the old data-slate she's been carrying once again.

DaedalusMkV
2012-01-30, 12:42 AM
Captain Vilk shakes his head in response to Carlisle's question. "I've already provided you with all of the material at my disposal. I'd suggest speaking with Watch-Captain Perius as soon as possible; he's very well connected to the local Arbites, so I'm sure he'll be able to provide more detailed information. It's been fully three weeks since the Massacre, so I'm willing to bet that the locals have come up with a few things that weren't in the initial reports." He watches with a look of mild amusement as Bethesda and Augustus banter back and forth, and seems somewhat taken aback by Drake's obvious enthusiasm for explosives. He hastily announces "You wait until you're off my ship before you open that thing! The last Emperor-forsaken thing I need is for you to blow a hole in her hull and vent us all into space, you hear me?!" He closes his eyes and breathes deeply, then returns his attention to Augustus. "As to your question, I suppose I can have somebody try to sketch a new symbol onto the case. It'll probably take a few minutes, and it might not be perfect, but I'll see what we can do." He turns and strides to the door, thumbing the activation rune to open it and leaning out, where he begins a whispered conversation with someone outside.

Drake:
The Vox system is old and looks somewhat disused. It's probably been sitting in a crate for the better part of a decade, but would likely still work. Nonetheless, the Machine-spirit has been long neglected and will likely need some degree of appeasement through maintenance if the device is to be expected to function perfectly when called upon.

Thanatos 51-50
2012-01-30, 08:19 AM
"I Can see why." Drake comments, with a steely, neutral tone.
It's difficult to tell, however, if is truly academically disinterested or angry - what, with the insect-parts on his face.
"You show an obvoius lack of regard for the Machine-spirits entrusted to your care. Do you not have any of the Brotherhood of Mars aboard this vessel, you degenerate?"

Whiskeyjack
2012-01-30, 08:31 AM
"Truly, Tech-Priest, this ship must have your brotherhood upon it? How could it even operate and sail the void otherwise? If the device is in disrepair, perhaps restoring its functionality is a test of our esteemed Master? The Captain is a middleman, a means to an end, just as we are" she tucks away the demolitions. "As he says, best not to endanger the ship checking these aboard. I'll deliver them to your care dirtside once we're secured somewhere."

Caimheul
2012-01-30, 01:22 PM
"It is likely a pristine vox would arouse suspicion more than one that is a little older and in a minor state of disrepair. A group traveling with one of your order would likely save themselves the thrones and invest in one in this state trusting that the tech-priest could appease the machine spirit rather than spend the thrones on a new or well maintained device. I'm sure our employer had this in mind when he selected this device."

Mekboy
2012-01-30, 02:36 PM
Thanking Bethesda, Alicia took the ID card, and began to examine it. More than anything it was a distraction from the bleak void that was Carlisle. Normal blunters might not have much of a spark, but they still had one. Carlisle didn't - he was empty. And his presence frakking hurt. Even looking at him for too long gave her a headache. No doubt he had been assigned to keep her in check.

Tucking the card away into one of her coat pockets, she starts paying attention to the conversation again, wondering what had made Carlisle like he was.

The Architect
2012-01-30, 06:00 PM
Carlisle checks his false ID before placing the relevant materials in his jacket pocket.

"Arbitrator Bethesda, perhaps aside from the remarking of the box, we are finished here. The sooner we get to the Watch Captain the better, whatever trail we have to follow grows colder every minute.

Also is not odd that the report said the weapons seemed almost intentionally unmarked. If we have time maybe we should contact Administrator Malthus, he may be able to look into some financials for us. I doubt he would know of anyone funding the rebellion but he may be able to track down any new acquired weapon caches of poor quality, that might just tip the hand of whoever funded the massacre, since I doubt the sleep walking civilians armed them selves."

Finishing Carlisle accidently catches the eye of Alicia and gives a grin, if he was assigned to watch her he doesn't look worried or concerned.

Caimheul
2012-01-30, 06:21 PM
The priest snorts at the assassin's assumption concerning the weapons. "Just because they lacked markings does not mean they were of poor quality. The world is in the midst of a civil war and suppliers occasionally produce weapons sans markings to hide their support. After all, the rebels money may be good, but being seen to supply rebels typically causes the loss of government contracts and inspections by the arbites. All this speculation is getting us nowhere, as soon as the box is marked we should make planetfall."

The Architect
2012-01-30, 06:34 PM
Carlisle groaned

"The report described the weapons as 'Crude', by that I assumed they were of below average manufacturing, if they stood out so. Also running a rebellion is extremely expensive, it's likely their funding is coming from seemingly non-rebel citizen supporters, who would buy the weapons and transfer them to the rebels themselves. This way it ensures there's no paper trail linking them to rebel activities and also explaining the lack of markings.

It's more likely the markings were removed after the weapons were produced on the cheap as such markings would be seen as holy by the Tech Priest who run the relevant Manufactorum I assume, Tech-Priest Drake? Would most Tech Priests be willing to tamper with holy machines themselves?"

Caimheul
2012-01-30, 06:53 PM
"Guesses and conjectures do us little good. I doubt it would take a tech-priest to remove such markings, a layman with a file could probably do it. Since the rebels are funded by a number of noble houses, I doubt money is much of a concern for them. Attacking the Imperial Guard however is a foolish action for the rebel faction anyway as such actions could lead the the might of the Imperium being brought against them, instead of just the planetary PDF and the Arbites. No, this was either a means of getting the Imperium involved by the governor, or an experiment by some heretical faction. Until we begin investigating ourselves we don't know.

The Architect
2012-01-30, 07:11 PM
"That's my point, the techpriest wouldn't have had to do and the Nobles are funding them, are we both arguing the same points now? What I'm saying is that if any noble bought a large number of similar weapons this administratum clerk contact of ours may be able to help narrow down whoever funded this and it's true that it's unlikely the rebels would benefit from this action which makes it even more likely a noble or similar funded this massacre, at least in part. Though it seems oddly transparent in that respect

But your right, all this is just conjecture, as much as we will need it later, it's enough for now. We'll consider these ideas later, when we have more to go on."

Caimheul
2012-01-30, 07:16 PM
"In the middle of a rebellion it would be difficult at best to determine which of the various shipments the rebel factions are receiving these firearms came from. Additionally, in the midst of a warzone it is not unheard of for weapons and equipment to be looted, making tracking the weapons an unlikely prospect. However, until we try there is no telling how the Emperor will guide us to the perpetrators."

Whiskeyjack
2012-01-30, 08:05 PM
"You discount the Arbites when mentioning the hammer of Imperial power? You've obviously never been to a real riot, nor seen the effect when a thousand Arbites pump-load their shotguns as one. I'll take great pleasure in disabusing you of those notions, preacher." Bethesda turns and heads for the shuttle bay, tucking the demolitions away and giving the stubjack with the uneasy presence a wide berth.

Caimheul
2012-01-30, 08:18 PM
"Discount? Nay, I merely seek to point out that as they are already fighting both the PDF and the local Arbites, it would be foolish to draw the Imperial Guard into the war as well. It's mighty poor tactics to goad another large force into attacking you before dealing with the enemies you currently face." he says lightheartedly to the retreating back of the overly sensitive arbitrator. "If you'll excuse us captain I believe we are all itching to begin our investigations."

DaedalusMkV
2012-01-31, 03:05 AM
The captain turns back and walks into the room just in time to dodge out of the way of Bethesda's rapid exit. He doesn't seem to have noticed Drake's accusations, and nods in response to Augustus' statement. "Very good. The shuttle is being prepared as we speak; it should be ready to fly within the half-hour, and I'll make sure that the Inquisitor's crate is marked as you requested when it does. We should be on-station above Alterus for the next week or so, loading and unloading cargo. After that, you're on your own." A young man in a loose-fitting uniform with immaculately groomed hair shuffles into the room, grips the demolitions crate and hefts it with a quiet grunt, then withdraws again. "You'll be landing at the Durandal Spaceport near Makhar City, the Planetary Capitol. I understand that transportation has been arranged for you once you arrive, some sort of local aircraft. I'm sure you can find your own way to the shuttle bays. Good hunting, all of you." He sits down at his desk and sends a pointed look at everyone in the room, as though wondering why they're still there when there's work to be done.

The shuttle bay is aswarm with workers finishing preparations to launch both of the ship's shuttles. Dirty-looking workers and the occasional Servitor load crates and containers of all sizes into the smaller crafts' still prodigous cargo bays while maintenance crews make final checks on their vessels' mechanical systems under the watchful eye of a red-robed Enginseer. You're approached by a middle-aged man in a pilot's jumpsuit and helmet as you enter the Bay. His light grey eyes are barely visible through his tinted visor, and his voice bears the unmistakable drawl of those born on the Varyag. "G'day. Or is it night? Heh, doesn't really matter, it'll be day when we arrive. I'm Oswald, and I'll be flyin' you all down to the planet in..." He checks a wrist-mounted Chrono, "About fifteen minutes. If you'd be kind enough to take yer seats, I'm about to get goin' on the pre-flight checklist." He shoots a casual glance at Drake, then asks him, "You're a tech-priest, right? I know that Enginseer Adara does his best, but he's usually pretty busy keepin' everything running around here. Would you mind giving the shuttle a quick prayer to keep the Machine Spirit happy? She's been somewhat moody recently, and it could do us a world of good."

Caimheul
2012-01-31, 11:17 AM
"Imperator beneficiis tuis et super turbam." the priest intones in High Gothic while making the sign of the Aquila before turning and leaving with the others. Seeing that the pilot of the shuttle has engaged the tech-priest in conversations he takes his seat and intones the Litany of Safe Landing.

Whiskeyjack
2012-01-31, 12:34 PM
Bethesda stows her gear, strapping herself in across from the priest. It's impossible to tell where her eyes are looking behind the visor. She thumbs on her data-slate and by all outward appearances reviews the contents for a few seconds. "Seems the rebels are just fighting the PDF. No Arbites involvement until that attack on the Guard. I think the Watch-Captain should be able to bring us up to speed. How far is the spaceport from his precinct? I do worry about having to hire independent contractors to get us to him. I suppose there are Ministorun or Arbites vehicles that could give us a ride..."

Caimheul
2012-01-31, 12:45 PM
"Perhaps, but that would leave us in an interesting situation should some of the things we need to transport not exactly fit our primary cover story of being missionaries. Personally I feel the longer our various layers last, the better." scanning his own dataslate, the priest speaks up again. "This planet is known for producing civilian aircraft, we may be able to rent or purchase one if the inquisitor has not taken care of such matter for us already. Prior to joining the priesthood I was certified on my families private flyer."

Thanatos 51-50
2012-02-01, 03:12 PM
I completely forgot to subscribe to this thread! That's why I've been incommunicado. Whoops.

Drake mulls over the implications of the "Crude" las-weapons once again.
"Most armourers are unwilling to tamper with the ineer workings of weapons - especially las-weapon, since the way of the Holy Light is mysterious to most. However, there are... sanctioned variations on the Mars-pattern weapon you're probably familiar with." he responds roundly, giving his own assault rifle an affectionate pat.
"As far as ad hoc modifications, well, as the Imperial Cult has those who digress from their dogma, so to, has the Brotherhood of Mars been plagued by Hereteks."
[hr]
"Adara, is it?" Drake intones, looking over at his rust-robed Brother orchestrating the affair. "That is him?" he asks, and, apparantly in too much of a hurry to wait for an answer, moves across the floor, chattering in Binary through his gross, insectile mouth-piece.
<Engineseer Arada, is it?> He asks, <This pilot is uninitiated, he requests my appeasement of the Machine Spirit for our Lander.> he explained hastily <I simply ask if you have already performed such an appeasement. I do not to trample over your fine works, Honoured Engineseer.>

DaedalusMkV
2012-02-01, 04:16 PM
The enginseer turns his attention on Drake, continuing to bark orders in Gothic while replying in lilting binary. Somehow he seems to interject some degree of tired frustration into the chittering. "No, seal the fuel-line before you touch that.. <Electro-priest. I have not yet had the opportunity> Yes, that's right. Do not forget the proper obeisance. <to bless the vessel's Machine Spirit myself. I had planned to do so> You! Alpha 11! What are you doing? Do not interrupt the Servitors. <shortly before its scheduled departure. Managing these uninitiated luddites> Beta six, assist gamma team. They are falling behind schedule. <leaves me with little time. I have urged the Captain to stop by the Lathes to take on new>" He begins striding towards a Servitor which appears to have stopped in the middle of the bay and dropped its cargo, and extends the mechadendrite on his left shoulder to begin fiddling with its locomotion systems. "<initiates, so that I need not rely on them, but he insisted we undertake this journey first. I can only imagine that the Machine Spirits are as frustrated as I am with their ineptitude. If you had arrived an hour sooner, brother Sollex, we may now be finished with our tasks.>" Content that he has answered the question in full, he turns his full attention to returning the Servitor to operation. Even for a Tech-priest the enginseer appears pale and his eyes, still not replaced with augmetics, are watery and bloodshot. While his augmetics are keeping him functioning and on his feet, he looks as though he hasn't slept in days.

Thanatos 51-50
2012-02-01, 04:42 PM
<I will Bless the lander, and then you shall have my assistance until my departure, if this is amiable.> Drake replied evenly before breaking away to indicate the pilot.
"Where is the Lander, so that I may carry on the Rites of Appeasement?"

Mekboy
2012-02-01, 05:11 PM
Strapping herself into one of the corner seats, Alicica returns to hre data-slate. "This may seem a little obvious, but by the looks of it, whoever we are facing probably have some sort of psyker with them. Probably quite a powerful one, to be able to control so many at once."

The Architect
2012-02-01, 05:15 PM
"It's entirely possible that that possibility is why I was sent here," Carlisle comments to Alicia.

Caimheul
2012-02-01, 06:05 PM
"That is one possibility, but so is a mind controlling drug or some form of tech heresy or archeotech. Until we are planetside and begin collecting information, let us avoid tainting our investigations. The Emperor willing, He will guide our investigation and aid us in rooting out the perpetrators," the priest contributes, settling in for the flight.

Whiskeyjack
2012-02-02, 06:23 PM
Bethesda silently recites the Litany of the Vacuum as the shuttle's ports begin to seal up.

DaedalusMkV
2012-02-02, 06:26 PM
One of the workers points you towards the lower ramp of the ship's primary shuttle, a well-maintained civilian-model Aquilla lander with the lascannon mountings removed. Drake grants his own blessings to the vessel's Machine Spirit, and with a grin the pilot waves the crew away and the shuttle departs. The trip down to the surface is fairly uneventful, though unfortunately you aren't given to chance to actually see out of the lander and see for yourselves your destination. Eventually you reach the Durandal Starport, and the shuttle's hatch opens to allow you egress.

Alterus is a strange world, at once both quite like millions of other Imperial planets and nearly unique. While the architecture of the spaceport is clearly the stark and blocky style endemic to the Imperium, the environment itself is quite alien. The sun hanging in the sky is a brilliant blue, so bright that is nearly blinds you after so long in the dim illumination of smog-covered Hive Worlds and voidships, and the sky itself is a strange shade of bright blue-green which is highly unnerving when contrasted with the saphire-like sun. As you step onto the rockcrete of the landing field, still disoriented, a middle-aged man wearing the red and black uniform that valets across the galaxy seem to affect runs out of the nearby starport terminal, huffing slightly as he comes to a stop. When he catches his breath, he raises his arms dramatically and cries, "Welcome to Makhar City, the jewel of Alterus!"

Caimheul
2012-02-02, 08:21 PM
Stepping to the fore of the group, Father Augustus answers the valet "The Emperor's blessings upon you this fine day! It is refreshing to see that even in such trying times your planet is so welcoming to newcomers. My disciples and I were wondering if transportation had already been provided? We had some difficulty with astropathic communication during the journey."

Charm: [roll0] TN 34 (am assuming this counts as a formal situation)
(If necessary) Decieve: [roll1] TN 58 (same assumption as above, not including other bonuses for believable white lie)
Awareness for if something is going on (ambush etc): [roll2] TN 33

Whiskeyjack
2012-02-02, 08:42 PM
"Well-met, citizen," Bethesda says simply, sizing him up. "Are you the welcoming committee or were you expecting us? As part of the good preacher's security detail, I charge you to identify yourself. You understand of course. Protocol." She strides up to prevent the man from rushing at the priest if necessary, the confident air of a member of a Ministorum-appointed protection detail about her.

The Architect
2012-02-03, 12:52 PM
Carlisle spies the surroundings, trying to pick out anything that stands our or might indicate danger, but remains silent, due to the whole "natural aversion to liking him" thing that might cause this new arrival to inadvertently dislike the group as a whole if he was too forward.

OoC:
Awareness Test vs. 30 (+ or - any modifiers for difficulty).
[roll0]

DaedalusMkV
2012-02-04, 12:07 AM
The man looks back and forth between Augustus and Bethesda, trying vainly to work out the protocol of who to address first. "Um. Ah. Appologies. I am Graham. I'm your guide and valet here at Durandal. We've, uh, got a Flitter standing by for you, Sirs. If you wish, I can take your luggage and lead you to the Aerodrome?" He looks at a small notecard pressed to his palm, then continues. "Ah, I see that you will be providing your own pilot. Very good. Erm, is there anything else you need while you're here?"

Caimheul
2012-02-04, 12:22 AM
"I apologize for her... over exuberance regarding my well- being, she is very driven but means well. As for our luggage, I'm sure the officer would prefer we handle it ourselves for security reasons." The priest gives the valet a wink. "But we appreciate the offer and I was hoping you could fill us in on this revolution that is plaguing your fine planet. Rumour has it that the rebels recently staged an attack against the Imperial Guard?"

DaedalusMkV
2012-02-04, 07:31 PM
The valet nods in understanding. "Of course, Sir. One can never be too careful with one's security, Sir. I understand." His mouth twists in disgust at the mention of the war. "Bah. The rebels are a bunch of deluded traitors if you ask me. They'll tell you that Governor Markhov assassinated his cousin to take the governorship, that he's a traitor and what have you, but it all sounds like a bunch of self-serving lies to me. Everyone knows the other nobles are behind it all, and all they want is to take over, so all they're doing is betraying the Emperor's rightly appointed representative for no good reason. And that business at Fortress Malkin... Going to bring the Arbites and the Guard down on us, make no mistake. I mean..." He catches himself, then looks faintly embarrassed and gives you an uncertain smile. It seems that this is probably a popular topic of debate among the spaceport's staff. "Appologies, my Lord. You obviously don't need to know my unimportant little opinion. I can assure you that the Durandal spaceport and the route to Makhar City proper are quite safe, and even those dastardly rebels would never dream of harming an Ecclesiarch. I'm certain that your time here on Alterus will be perfectly pleasant. It's true that there was a terrorist attack on the Imperial garrison at Fortress Malkin, but the Magistrates have deployed their full force to root out whichever traitors are behind it."

If you want to try to get him to continue detailing his personal views, you'll need to roll an Ordinary (+10) Charm test or he'll simply clam up and insist on not wasting your time. He's not particularly important, so do keep in mind that for any truth you get out of him you'll also get at least as much wild hearsay. It's up to you wether you want to press him or not.

Caimheul
2012-02-04, 10:04 PM
"I am sure that an Emperor fearing man such as yourself has nothing to fear from the Emperor's peace keepers. I believe it is important to be aware of the flock's perception of the wolves. The opinion of each of the Emperor's subjects is important to me, please feel free to elaborate." the priest asks, perhaps a bit too interested.

Untrained Charm Test: [roll0] TN 34/44 (48/2 + 10 + 10 if considered formal situation [your call there Daedalus, "formal situation" is kinda vague to me, not sure if valet to customer counts])

Whiskeyjack
2012-02-04, 11:38 PM
"Enginseer Theta and I will sweep the flyer. You understand the delay of course, Father. Protocol," Bethesda tilts her head at the tech-priest and adjusting the shield on her arm and doing a quick-check of her gear.

Caimheul
2012-02-05, 12:04 AM
The priest sighs. "Yes of course. Emperor willing, nothing will be wrong, but I understand your dedication requires such thoroughness. "

Thanatos 51-50
2012-02-05, 12:41 AM
Brother Drake nodded solemnly to the arbite, conent to play the role of the quiet, stoic Mechanicus for now.

Mekboy
2012-02-05, 06:55 PM
Happy to stand back and let the priest talk to the valet with a flair for the dramatic, Alicia simply gazes out around the spaceport. She'd spent very little of her life dirtside, and on most of the times she had most of the time had been spent inside. The sheer openness of the place was weird, and a little off putting. Not to mention the number of places danger could be hiding.

DaedalusMkV
2012-02-05, 08:15 PM
The valet takes a step back and shakes his head. "Oh no, Sir, I've already said anything of importance that I might be able to. Certainly, if you're worried about the safety of the city, you'll be better off talking to the Magistrates, or possibly one of our own Ecclesiarchs." He looks over his shoulder, then beckons. "Please, allow me to show you to your Flitter. It's just this way."

He leads you into one of the large nearby concourse buildings, where a pair of blue-and-green uniformed PDF troopers start approaching before noticing Augustus' Ecclesiarchal robes and salute instead, to an elevator which takes you to the roof of the concourse building where half a dozen aircraft await. The Flitter you've been supplied with is fairly large, slightly smaller than an Imperial Valkyrie Gunship, and fairly blocky in design. It has a spacious passenger compartment with seats for eight in addition to the pilot's cockpit in the nose and a cargo compartment with more than enough room to stow all of your equipment. As soon as you arrive the Valet hands Bethesda a set of keys. "These open the locks on the compartments, but the flight system is code-locked. The code for your Flitter is 113694, and if you forget you'll have to come back in person to restore it. Your documentation says you've got it for six weeks, but if you need longer simply vox us and we can extend the rental. I'm sure you'll be wanting to investigate it yourself before we finalize the arrangement." He takes a step back then bows slightly towards Augustus.

The craft itself looks like it's in excellent condition, probably due to the abundance of tech-priests that tend to congregate at spaceports. The two turbine engines on the short wings seem to be well-maintained, and there's nothing suggesting it's been damaged to any extent. The insides of the compartments are empty, and the passenger cabin appears recently cleaned.

GM rolls:

Carlisle: [roll0] vs 30+10
Drake: [roll1] vs 14+10
Augustus: [roll2] vs 33+10
Bethesda: [roll3] vs 39+10
Alicia: [roll4] vs 33+10

Mekboy, Caimheul, Whiskeyjack:

You hear a muted thump in the background, followed by a series of lighter cracks and bangs. It sounds rather like gunfire, possibly following some sort of explosion, coming from somewhere at least a few kilometers to the north.

Caimheul
2012-02-05, 08:36 PM
Father Augustus tilts his head and his brow furrows slightly. "Tell me Graham, is rebel activity normal in the area of the spaceport? I only ask as a skirmish or possibly a battle is ongoing a relatively short distance away."

Whiskeyjack
2012-02-05, 09:20 PM
Bethesda tilts her head. "I don't like the sound of that. Tech-Priest, search the flier and begin the preflight ritual. I'm conducting a sweep. You two," she indicates Carlisle and Alicia, "mind the preacher. Vox if there's a problem." Bethesda locks her shield into place and heads for the door to check things out, giving the guide a long, searching look before she walks off.

Thanatos 51-50
2012-02-05, 11:00 PM
"One moment, Arbite." Drake interjects, extending one hand with the encrypted comm-beads.
"I have my own, of course, but our... mutual acquaintance did offer these to me. Not of my order, but secure nonetheless."
He waits for his companions to acquire the commbeads, and then, from a flash under his robes, he produces his Sollex-pattern lasgun.
"I'd prefer to scout with you, as well. The flier will still be here after we've purged the skirmishers. It is, perhaps, also best if we move as a unit, no?"

Caimheul
2012-02-05, 11:10 PM
"Officer Harmonia, stand down and return to your post immediately. Judging by the sounds the fighting is too far off for you to have any affect on the outcome, and need I remind you, your job is my safety, not to single-handedly quell the rebellion. Secure the shuttle for departure, our journey may take us in that way should the Emperor will it."

@Whiskeyjack
We have a flyer, might as well use it, don't really have another way to travel 'a few kilometers' quickly otherwise...

Whiskeyjack
2012-02-05, 11:31 PM
"Neg, Father. I'll check the doors and head back, nothing more and nothing less. Protocol. Can't risk anything lurking but I'll not devote too much time to the sweep. You're right on that; we'd best get going once I verify it's safe to lift off. I'll be in eyesight the whole time, should that ease your concern, and you have Spooky One and Spooky Two with you as well," she adds, drawing her shotgun and audibly engaging the recoil glove clamp. "Enginseer, I appreciate the support, but the Father is right. We just need to get going. That was a faraway blast; I doubt there's anything to worry about, but a quick check can't hurt. Your skills are better suited doing what none of the rest of us can do: ensuring the body and spirit of that aircraft can take us where we need to go safely."

Thanatos 51-50
2012-02-06, 08:16 AM
"In that case, Officer, I must concur with the Father. If we cannot bring overwhelming force onto the enemy, then we are wasting our time. Tactica Imperialis lists the smallest unit size at four men. You have three before attrition. I feel your tactical choices are lacking." Mason interjects in the argument.
"We can do a fly-over of the area and provide close-air support, if that is your desire."
With that, the Sollex immediately closed in on the flier and began the pre-flight Rituals.

DaedalusMkV
2012-02-06, 03:23 PM
The Valet looks more than a little startled. "Battle? What?" He looks around, then seems to notice the muted sounds of battle. "Oh my! Well, even the traitors wouldn't dare attack the space port. We've got three full platoons of PDF troopers defending us, not to mention the fortifications and automated defenses. I'm certain you'll all be perfectly safe here, your Grace. Um, I'll be back in a minute or two if you need me." He runs back into the elevator, probably to alert the rest of the spaceport's staff.

Whiskeyjack

A short sweep of the rooftop reveals nothing, and you can't see the source of the sounds from here. If you want to travel beyond the rooftop, tell me.

Thanatos:

The Flitter is in excellent shape, as mentioned before. It looks like it probably received the proper benedictions from another Tech-adept some time today. It will take you only a minute or two to prepare it to fly, though you'll need somebody with Pilot (Civilian Craft or Hover Vehicle) to take over if you want to actually get it off the ground.

Whiskeyjack
2012-02-06, 03:33 PM
Bethesda does a once-over of the roof and considers going further, but voxes in first. "Roof is clear. Can't even see the source of that blast. How goes the preflight ritual?"

Thanatos 51-50
2012-02-06, 04:27 PM
"The flier is in excellent condition. Who is the pilot we're supposed to be providing?"

Whiskeyjack
2012-02-06, 05:00 PM
"No idea. I thought it was you, Enginseer. Pardon my assumption." She walks up to one roof edge and looks down and around for anything out of place.

Caimheul
2012-02-06, 05:39 PM
"That would be myself. I believe I mentioned my familiarity with civilian fliers during our planetary decent." The priest approaches the cockpit and begins the pre-flight rituals. "I should be ready to take off by the time our equipment is loaded and everyone has strapped in. I take it we are going to intervene in the ensuing battle?" he asks quietly through their encrypted micro-beads. "Engineseer Theta, would it be possible for you to try to find the vox channel being used by the unit involved in that skirmish? It might be useful to hear what is going on.

Thanatos 51-50
2012-02-06, 05:51 PM
"You did, Father? My apologies." the tech-priest replies, letting the stereotypical disdain of the Mechanicus for the Ecclisiarchy drip into his words, even as he moved up to the flier's vox-reciever and began searching frequencies for anything that sounded like battle-chatter.

[roll0]

The Architect
2012-02-06, 05:53 PM
Carlisle seems to have kept his mouth shut during the discussion but finally breaks his silence to move up the ramp so Father Augustus can get the craft off the ground

"Come on everyone, this trip is about to get alot more interesting, it's time we all got on with the job and our dear Father Augustus is waiting on us, let's not leave a man of the cloth idling in his flitter for longer than needs be."

As he reaches the cockpit he draws his long, gold filigree inlaid sword, his one valuable possession, as more a calming measure than a precaution.

Whiskeyjack
2012-02-06, 05:57 PM
"Intervening would blow our cover wide open. If this is more rebellion activity, they're not truly secessionists--or there's nothing suggesting that at any rate. The Holy Ordos have no interest in who the governor of this world is, just in the strange massacre of the Guard. We should stick to our original plan of contacting the Enforcer captain and our other informants. I can't see any good discarding our cover identities by fighting unless we're actually threatened. And if we are, the sight of a mob attacking a Ministorum preacher, an Arbite, and a Tech-Priest will surely get the greater body of the Arbites mobilized and deployed to crush the rebels." She turns from the edge. "All clear. Headed back."

The Architect
2012-02-06, 06:02 PM
Carlisle hears Bethesda and slowly puts away his sword, deflated, coming back down the flitter to sit at the top of the ramp

"Shouldn't we at least do a fly over to see whether this is a repeat of the attack on the fortress, or something similiarly strange. It's entirely possible it's related, possible enough to warrant a look see, I think, right?"

Caimheul
2012-02-06, 06:06 PM
"Good point regarding intervention. However, should our flight plan take us in that direction, it should not hurt to observe. If it is an Imperial Guard regiment under attack, then it may be another instance of the attacks by our mission. We may learn more by observing the culprits, as the special talents of one of our number may reveal the nature of the control. The Emperor may call us to intervene, in which case we would be earning local good will."

The Architect
2012-02-06, 06:12 PM
Carlisle raises his hands in mock surrender

"That's all I'm saying, like the wise Father said, observation. Let's get a look see. Either way, false IDs or ours we're tourists taking a peak. Better we know what's going on then miss a potential lead. Whatever the Father's in for, I'm in for."

Whiskeyjack
2012-02-06, 06:23 PM
"Observation is warranted. I do not believe intervention is, even if the Guard is under attack. Our mission is to root out the core of what caused the first massacre, not expend our resources striking at any tendrils that might appear. The Guard is on alert for treachery now; there won't be any surprise attacks on parade grounds if they've dug in and increased security. And correct me if I'm wrong but our flier isn't military-grade."

Caimheul
2012-02-06, 06:32 PM
"I never said I would land in the middle of a war zone. I'm not a complete idiot. Considering the complete dearth of evidence from the first attack, I'm not clear on how you think talking to the upper echelons will help more than examining first hand evidence from one of the attacks." the priest replies.

Whiskeyjack
2012-02-06, 06:44 PM
"That assumes this is an attack. But regardless, you're right, seeing firsthand the planetary situation would be invaluable to our investigation. I merely mention the armored status of the flyer, not for landing, but for our chances of surviving being shot at by one group or another." Bethesda re-enters the hangar and heads for the flyer.

Mekboy
2012-02-07, 06:41 PM
Having examined the comm-bead, Alicia slides it into place, before drawing her knife. The dull grey of the metal was reassuring, as was its weight in her hand. As unlikely as it seemed to her that they'd be attacked, she wanted to at least show willing.

Once the area is confirmed as safe she makes her way over to the flier. "Explosions, gunfire. Sounds like an attack to me. And, as you said, it looks pretty well armored. Either way, there can't be any harm in doing a quick fly-over."

Whiskeyjack
2012-02-07, 07:22 PM
"I meant an attack against the Guard or other Adepta-level institutions, as opposed to a rebel attack against the local government." Bethesda points her visor at the psyker for a long moment before moving to stand near the ramp into the flyer, still at attention and ready for any trouble. "Where did our guide go?" she asks no one in particular.

Mekboy
2012-02-07, 07:28 PM
Alicia matches the blank stare of the visor.

"He's gone to tell the rest of the staff. Apparently they've got a few platoons of PDF here. He'll be back in a couple of minutes."

Caimheul
2012-02-07, 07:54 PM
"Can't blame him for trying to find somewhere safer. Civilians tend to seek protection from the Emperor's warriors, even when the sounds of battle are far off. I think we're better off without him though, easier if we limit the number of witnesses."

Whiskeyjack
2012-02-07, 11:10 PM
"Are we prepared to depart?" Bethesda looks up at the flyer. "I'll board last."

Caimheul
2012-02-08, 12:14 AM
"Just finished up the pre-flight rituals, am ready to depart as soon as you board." Tybalt says as he finishes the last of the rituals.

DaedalusMkV
2012-02-08, 12:45 AM
The Flitter's engines start with a deep thrum as the Acolytes take their places inside, and finally rises into the air with the familiar high-pitched whine of jet turbines. The valet rushes out of the building just in time to watch you depart. As you pass the grey rockcrete island of the spaceport, it almost seems as if you're flying over an ocean for a moment, until you realize that this part of the planet is covered in a vast savanna of blue-green grass almost precisely the same shade as the sky, broken up by the occasional green-leafed tree. You have only a few short minutes to watch the local terrain, however, before a plume of smoke appears on the horizon. A few kilometers north of the spaceport a trio of heavy trucks painted in the blue and green of the local PDF is stopped in the middle of the service road, the front and rear vehicles burning profusely and generating the plume of smoke you saw earlier. A group of figures close to the now stopped convoy take whatever cover they can as they exchange fire with a number of others about 100 meters to the west; it looks like the PDF defenders have taken heavy casualties, and less than half a squad is still fighting back. From this distance it's hard to get a good look at the attackers, dispersed as they are throughout a rocky outcropping; you'd need to get in closer to get a good count of them or assess their equipment, though there can't be more than seven or eight of them firing at the PDF troopers.

Thanatos:

After a minute or so of fiddling with your comm-bead, you manage to intercept a short burst of communication from what you assume to be the PDF under attack. They're either lazy enough to use an unecrypted channel or desperate enough to try for long-ranged communications with a cheap, low-grade radio set. "... Repeat, we are under attack by rebel forces. Requesting assistance." A pause, then a burst of static. Whoever is on the other end seems to have proper security. "Frak it, the Lieutenant's dead, Sir, and there's no way anyone else is going to make it here. Durandal sure as hell can't move their garrison! Aagh, that was close. Look, I'm out of time! Either send those reinforcements or don't!" There is a clattering sound, then the communications fall silent.

Caimheul
2012-02-08, 01:20 AM
As he intends to disregard the Arbitrator's earlier advice concerning providing aid, the priest looks for a safe landing site somewhere behind the likely position of the attackers. "Are the machine spirits willing today, Brother Theta?" Father "Orthesian" asks, trying to get used to using the cover names.

Thanatos 51-50
2012-02-08, 08:28 AM
"Indeed, Father."
Drake replies, shouldering his Death Light and taking aim down the sight at the mass of rebel troops. "They're calling for assistance. I intend to provide. Have you any experience flying close-air? I need to get within lasgun range."
The electro-priest suddenly switches to speaking into his commbead, on the same channel he intercepted transmissions from.
"This is Engineseer Theta-7716816-Epslion. I have received requested for reinforcements. Immediately relay a SITREP. Over."
Full Action Aim on whoever appear to be in charge or the rebel in the best firing position.
[roll0]

Whiskeyjack
2012-02-08, 09:51 AM
"Land? Folly. We're covert investigators, not His Holy Aeriel Cavalry. I want to remind you that if we intervene here and now, we damage or destroy our chance of gathering information directly from the rebels in the future under these code names. Not that I expect you considered that, you're not a lawman and don't think like one. I simply thought being a priest meant you could go back and forth between the rebels and the local government to get all the information required for our actual mission. But by all means, seek this 'glory' with the locals if you must. If we can avoid giving away our identities as we do this, cover or not, then all the better." Bethesda looks for a viewport, chambering manstoppers.

Caimheul
2012-02-08, 11:07 AM
"Good point, the leaders of the other group would likely be our suspects, and giving them a reason to suspect us would be unwise. Relaying their communication can earn us some measure of respect, without earning the rebel's ire. They also do not seem to be behaving in a similar fashion to the incident we are to investigate, as they are firing from cover rather than standing in the open and mindlessly firing. I hope you aren't considering firing through the craft's hull, this is not a combat craft with firing points!" The priest replies as he makes one more pass to give the Tech-priest time to complete communication with the ground forces.

Whiskeyjack
2012-02-08, 11:33 AM
"Suspects, yes, maybe also allies. The rebels just want their man to be governor from what I understand. That goal would be crushed by intentionally provoking the Imperial Guard with attacks like that massacre. I bet the rebels will want to clear their name, as it were, to promote their legitimacy if they win the governorship. Isn't it true that this struggle is part of planetary tradition? That was my impression. And that the attack on the Guard was unprecedented." Bethesda looks for a firing point just in case they come under fire from the ground. "I'm not going to fire offensively. However if the craft comes under fire I will respond. I don't know the intentions of our Mechanicus though."

Caimheul
2012-02-08, 11:39 AM
"I concur, and had the same though earlier... I believe I even suggested that it might be possible the planetary governor has a motive in causing the attacks in order to pull the Guard into the civil war. So long as both sides are faithful to the Imperial Creed, I have no qualms about them continuing to war amongst themselves. It would make the quality of the soldiers from any regiments raised here better than the average recruit due to having actual combat experience."

Whiskeyjack
2012-02-08, 02:02 PM
"An interesting theory, that the governor could be a suspect. Dangerous for him. I suppose we'll see...are we passing over, then?"

Caimheul
2012-02-08, 03:41 PM
"The way I see it, the Governor and his faction have the biggest motivation to have an attack on the Guard and civilians pinned on the rebel faction, as then the rebels loose the support of the locals, and have the vast might of the Imperial Guard brought down on them. Not to belittle the local peace keepers, but they're limited to local resources as opposed to the large number of men, tanks and artillery the Guard could bring to bear. I don't see a reason to stay here, we've checked out the skirmish and it doesn't match the description of the incident we are interested in. On to our lodgings I suppose?"

The Architect
2012-02-08, 06:39 PM
"Yeah, on to the lodgings, I'd like to get a closer look but Bethesda's right, there's too many reasons not to and it's not worth the risk. Good point about the Governor by the way Father, any ideas on how we might look into that?" Carlisle says speaking up as the flitter pulls away from the PDF.

Caimheul
2012-02-08, 07:43 PM
"Probably best if we start at the origin and work our way to the source. If we jump to conclusions we may end up forcing the evidence to fit our assumptions, instead of letting the evidence form our conclusions. I was simply pointing out that the rebels may be innocent, as the attack could benefit the Governor's cause more. Until we fully begin our investigations there is no way to tell. 'There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.' "

DaedalusMkV
2012-02-12, 03:03 AM
The sound of gunfire recedes as Father Augustus pilots the Flitter away from the conflict and towards their destination in the capitol. After just over ten minutes traversing the eerie fields of grass, you find yourselves in the much more familiar-looking outskirts of the city. While Makhar city is much less densely built than any proper Hive, it is nonetheless a proper bastion of Imperial architecture, filled with functional, blocky buildings. Most of the structures are only two or three storeys tall, barring the occasional tall hab-building and what appear to be a few skyscrapers towards the center of the city. Unlike many Imperial cities, which seem haphazardly designed at best, Makhar is made up almost entirely of straight-line avenues and square blocks, which might well make it easy to navigate on the ground but from the air simply results in each section of the city looking almost exactly like all of the others. It takes the better part of an hour to find the address you were given, a seven-storey hab-complex with a small pad on the roof for landing a flyer, which seems to be fairly common on the larger buildings you've seen. As Tybalt throttles the engines down to a dull whine, the craft lurches slightly and lands with a mild thump.

You manage to unload your gear from the Flitter and make your way downstairs to the sixth floor of the building, where a keycard provided for you by Captain Vilk unlocks a simple metal-framed door, which opens to reveal a large, if somewhat sparsely furnished appartment.

The appartment provided for you has three bedrooms, as well as a mattress
that can be laid out on the ground for some degree of comfort and a couch. One of the bedrooms has a large, king-sized bed. You may fight about divide the sleeping arrangements as you see fit. Also available is a kitchen with enough supplies to feed you all for the better part of a week, a bathroom and a secure storage safe which can safeguard anything you might wish to store. Also provided are the keys to a groundcar parked downstairs, in case you don't want to (or can't) use the Flitter.

Thanatos 51-50
2012-02-12, 12:58 PM
Draek immediately fans throughout the apartment, ensuring that the power outlets were of a standard pattern - and one he could hook his las power packs into, ignoring any squabbling about living arrangements until he finished his survey of the apartment, also noting any points of entry and chokepoints he could use to properly fortify their apartment.
He also searches for a recaf brewer.

"I, of course, shall request the use of [whatever room has the most power outlets] for my private berthing."

Caimheul
2012-02-12, 01:23 PM
Looking at all the rooms and the relatively unsecured area, the priest has an alternate suggestion. "understandable, however call me paranoid but I think instead of each having a "private" berth, we should each stand a watch at night. Dividing the evening into five gives us each plenty of sleep with short watches held in the common room. In that case, we end up using the whichever bed is vacated by the next person on watch to finish our rest. I'll gladly take the last watch as it would allow me to finish my morning prayers without interfering with the day's activities. I will also happy sleep on a floor or couch."

Thanatos 51-50
2012-02-12, 01:35 PM
"I wasn't suggesting thing alternately." Mason responded, obviously confused.
""Five short watches, three beds, one couch, plenty of recaf. Two people lay claim to the larger bed and hot rack."

Whiskeyjack
2012-02-12, 05:34 PM
Bethesda shrugs. "More room and privacy anywhere here than in a Precinct. I don't care where I bunk, and I'm used to watches of all hours. What I'm not used to is being in a tiny joke of a hive. How many people even live on this world? Probably less than in one proper hive." She, like Drake, starts looking for the best places to cover the doors in the event of a firefight.

Caimheul
2012-02-13, 11:24 PM
"It did seem rather small, that may be the result of the war. But having literally just stepped on the ground, hard to say. Anyway, looks like we have some time before nightfall, however before we discuss our work in too much detail, perhaps the Enginseer should make sure this room is not under surveillance..." The priest trails off, realizing that as the room was not a random selection, interested parties would have had a chance to.. prepare the room for their arrival.

Mekboy
2012-02-14, 03:24 PM
"It'd probably still be worth giving it a check. It shouldn't take too long, and there's little reason not to. As for the sleeping arrangements, I'm happy to take the couch if we're each taking our own beds. I'm used to worse." And would no doubt be given it anyway.

Thanatos 51-50
2012-02-14, 03:36 PM
"An excellent idea, Father." Drake intones, shortly before moving to do exactly that.

What type of roll d'you want here, boss?
[roll0]?

Whiskeyjack
2012-02-19, 05:56 PM
"I'll go warm up the wheeler. We can do some sightseeing," Bethesda says sarcastically over the vox. "Weapons hot. Can't be too careful. Come down when you're ready to head off." She flips the safety off her shotgun as she heads for the lift.

DaedalusMkV
2012-02-19, 06:57 PM
The five Acolytes head downstairs to a small underground garage, where a fairly large grey groundcar awaits. The vehicle is nothing special, a simple boxy model with no special amenities other than a small radio that plays tinny local music on demand. Fitting all five of you, not to mention an array of guns, armour and equipment into the vehicle and its nowhere-near-large-enough trunk is much more difficult than you'd like, and the end result is significantly more cramped and uncomfortable that the Flitter's rather spacious passenger compartment, especially for the three crammed into the back seat. You roll out of the garage treated to the familiar sputtering of a Promethium-based engine, which provides a lot more power to the car than you'd expect out of something so shabby-looking. The city's layout is extremely simple to read; every road is numbered in a grid pattern from west to east and from south to north, and each block is almost perfectly square. The whole city gives the feeling that it was planned by some emotionless Administratum scribe or Mechanicus engineer long before the first building was built; a quick glance at your briefing materials reveals that it was. Makhar City was designed as something of a hobby by the Mechanicus Explorator Denaris, the first to discover the at-the-time uninhabited world, who transmitted his proposed design for a capitol city along with the data for the planet itself when he submitted his report. The end result is a city that's extraordinarily simple to navigate, so long as you have an address. On the downside, heading any direction other than due north/south

After just under an hour driving northeast towards the center of the city you arrive at a blocky, nine-storey building marked with the symbol of the Administratum, the address provided for your contact in the Imperial bureaucracy. You park the vehicle in a nearby lot and enter the building, where you are greeted by a bland-faced man in even blander robes sitting behind a desk. Half a dozen diffent queues have formed in front of other desks, the city's citizens lining up to deal with some sort of business or another. The bland-faced man greets you with a bored-sounding "May I direct you to a destination?"

Mekboy
2012-02-19, 07:58 PM
Scowling, Alicia regarded the clerk. Oddly enough, an hour spent in a cramped space with Carlisle hadn't left her in the greatest of moods, and the clerk reminded her of an acquaintance from back on Terra. However, seeing as making the clerk feel threatened would hardly help, she kept her voice steady. We're looking for Watch-Captain Perius. Where about would we be able to find him?"

Caimheul
2012-02-20, 12:24 AM
"Wrong building my child. I'm sorry my good man, my follower has become a little disoriented from our journey. Could you please direct us to the desk of Administrator Malthus?" the priest asks, attempting to be as polite as possible.

DaedalusMkV
2012-02-20, 01:22 PM
The clerk looks back and forth between the priest and the psyker for a moment, seems to notice the rest of the group for the first time then replies, "Oh, you must be that group in from Scintilla. The Administrator told me to expect you some time in the next few days. He's in office 517A, up on the fifth floor. I suggest you take the lift." He waves vaguely in the general direction of what looks to be a pair of elevator doors.

Unlike the bustling main floor of the Administratum complex, the fifth floor is quiet and nearly empty. Given the time of day, it's entirely possible that the majority of the scribes working here have already left, which is certainly an advantage for you. It takes a few minutes of searching to find the correct office; all of the doors and hallways look exactly the same, and the numbers and letters on them follow a pattern that likely only made sense to whichever architect designed the place. The door is open and a short, balding man with greying dark hair and sharp blue eyes and wearing the signature grey robes of the Administratum looks up from his desk. "Ah, good day." He looks at each of you in turn, then continues, "Who are you, and how may I assist you?"

Caimheul
2012-02-20, 11:33 PM
"Administrator Malthus I presume? A mutual friend of ours said that we should contact you if we had need of any information while we were on your fine planet. I am Father Nealon Orthesian." he says as he smiles eyes carefully searching for signs of deception.

Scrutiny: [roll0] TN 16

Thanatos 51-50
2012-02-21, 06:38 AM
Electro-Priest Drake, not being assigned to this cell for his particular skill in conversing with people, quite rudely ignored the Administratum drones - to include Malthus, and spent his time looking for any particularly interesting jewels of technology, careful to keep a spare ear open for the conversation going about.

Administratum. Whole Imperium would run smoother if they were all replaced by Servitors.

DaedalusMkV
2012-02-24, 05:19 PM
Malthus looks at the five of you for a moment, then waves you into the office. "Would one of you please shut the door? Thank you. I was wondering if someone would be coming to deal with this whole mess." He sighs, rubbing his hands together. "I suppose you'll be wanting some background, then? There's a long history of conflict within the nobility on our planet, dating back almost to the first colonization in 473.M36. It's regarded as something of a right of passage for a new Governor to beat back some sort of rebellion sponsored by his political rivals. Generally, it only lasts for a year or so until the Governor in question either proves they can handle it or gets assassinated because of his incompetence." Malthus shrugs, then continues. "As I'm sure you can tell, Governor Madell has been facing a great deal more opposition than normal, for a few reasons. First, the rebels claim that he ordered his brothers assassinated to claim the office for himself, which is something of a taboo. We're only supposed to assassinate bad governors, not potential governors." He grins as though he's just told a particularly amusing joke. "More importantly, the evidence they've presented is fairly strong, so a significant portion of the civilian population has thrown their support behind the rebels. Secondly, Governor Madell has introduced several unpopular laws, particularly a set of tariffs on Promethium imports that drove up the price of fuel by between nine and sixteen percent, depending on the fuel in question. Frankly, the only reason he's still in office is that nobody seems to be able to kill the man, and he's managed to build a strong alliance with PDF high command."

Malthus falls silent for a moment, looks around and seems to be listening for something, then continues much more quietly. "I've actually managed to identify a few of the rebel leaders, if you want to look into them. The nobles who fund them are surprisingly lax with their financials; I suppose they've never had to run a serious rebellion before. I can't imagine why they'd be stupid enough to attack the Imperial Guard, but I suppose that's what you're here for. I unfortunately don't have access to any files on the investigation into the Massacre; you'll need to talk to someone in the PDF or Magistrates to learn anything about it directly." He closes his eyes for a moment. "Um, I think that's the important thing. I'm honestly not sure what sort of information you need for this sort of investigation, though. Is there anything else you want to know?"

Caimheul
2012-02-24, 06:07 PM
"Yes actually. I notice that your investigation seems to center upon the rebels as the source of this attack. Is there any evidence of mysterious payments or misappropriation of funds in the governor's financials? Perhaps from the funds raised through increasing the tariffs? Why exactly did he raise the tariffs anyway?"

DaedalusMkV
2012-02-25, 12:38 AM
Malthus looks somewhat shocked for a moment. "What? The Governor? Why on Terra would he want to... Oh, I think I see. You suspect he may have ordered the attack to try to turn the Guard and Imperial officials against the rebels. Hmm..." He sits back and closes his eyes for the better part of ten seconds, occasionally mumbling to himself. "Well, he certainly has the resources to set up this sort of attack, that's for sure. His personal estate is worth the better part of ten million Thrones, accounting for his business holdings and liquid assets, and it's not exactly terribly expensive to drug up a bunch of gangers, give them guns and point them at the Garrison, assuming that's what happened, and as governor he controls the better part of twenty billion Thrones annual expenditure, though most of that isn't the sort of thing he could change without a lot of attention from our office here. I'm certain he could sneak a few hundred thousand Thrones out of the PDF budget, if he wanted to. Like I said, most of the PDF high command strongly support him, and he's really very good at dealing with money." Malthus clears his throat. "As for the Tariffs, they're actually fairly smart, economically. Most of the people who use groundcars and Flitters are fairly wealthy and can easily afford to pay the extra expense, and it shored up a fairly dangerous budget deficit that was developing, not to mention allowing him to divert some two million Thrones to the PDF's budget. It was extremely unpopular among the upper and middle-classes, and he wasn't particularly well-liked to start with, but I imagine in fourty or fifty years we'll probably be thanking him for it."

Caimheul
2012-02-25, 12:52 AM
The priest nods in agreement to the assessment regarding the increase in tariffs.
"People do tend to react badly to tax increases, at least in the short term. What other unpopular laws has he put in place? The nature of them may prove useful or they may not, at this point it's hard to determine what information will point in the right direction."

Whiskeyjack
2012-02-25, 10:32 AM
"I would be interested in seeing the details of the death toll from the Massacre. Surely that is something the Administratum keeps track of, since the Departmento will have to levy a new tithe to make up for those lost?" Bethesda looks around the office. "And yes, we were interested in speaking with the rebel leaders about this. Such an action would not garner them support, I can't think of a logical reason why they would assault an Imperial Guard force. That's the surest way to turn everyone against them - supporters will grow skittish, opponents will grow more rancorous, the population will turn in fear of being hammered by an Arbites investigation force. It's antithetical to rebel interests to attack anyone save the governor."

DaedalusMkV
2012-02-27, 01:51 AM
Malthus closes his eyes again. "Um. He's instituted a few unpopular changes, but mostly it's just the tariff increase. Let's see... There was a curfew for about three months, two years ago. It was rescinded after significant public outcry and the City Watch declared the policy 'unenforcable'. He officially outlawed a particularly potent narcotic beverage called Slurm, made by fermenting one of the plants that grows near the equator, which received a fairly mixed response. Otherwise, his critics tend to paint every policy in the worst light, while the loyalists claim the oposite. Politics as usual. There's a reason the Administratum never involves itself directly with the nobility." The scribe smiles, then addresses Bethesda. "I can't claim to have memorized the details. I believe that fourteen Guardsmen died, and about a hundred civillians? I'm certain I could get you a list of names, if you wanted. It would take me a few hours, though, and my shift ends in about ninety minutes. You'd need to wait until tomorrow." He shrugs. "As for the rebels' motives, a lot of them aren't really all that smart. Besides, I'd bet a fair few of them are more out for causing anarchy than any real political agenda."

Whiskeyjack
2012-02-28, 01:49 PM
"The list would be most helpful. And why do you say that about the rebels? It seems like they truly want their man to win. How does anarchy further that goal? No confidence in the governor doesn't get him out of office after all."

DaedalusMkV
2012-02-29, 05:36 PM
Malthus laughs. "You seem to be under the misconception that the rebels are all of one mind, madame. Certainly, quite a few of them would agree with that sentiment, but every group has its fools and miscreants. There are no less than thirty-seven distinct rebel groups on this planet, with thirty-seven individual leaders and thirty-seven slightly different agendas. Certainly, the largest two or three do the majority of the fighting and whatever else it is that rebels do, but any given one of them could have put together a crude suicide attack. Perhaps they thought that if the Arbites got involved, they'd investigate the governor and call him to justice. Perhaps they believed the Imperial Guard Garrisson were their enemies for refusing to take sides. Perhaps they simply wanted to watch men die and the world burn." He shrugs. "If there's nothing else, I still have quite a bit of work to do before my shift ends, and I'll need to look into that list of names as well."

Whiskeyjack
2012-02-29, 05:59 PM
"Thirty-seven? Hm. Do you happen to have dossiers of each group's modus operandi, or at least the primary MO of the larger groups? If so that would be helpful, but I also expect that might be a question for the Enforcers and the Arbites precinct. " Bethesda ponders the information...a lot of ground to cover. "Yes, I think we might leave you to your work, though we may come back with more questions."

Caimheul
2012-02-29, 07:19 PM
"Yes, we wouldn't want you to get into trouble with your superiors. We may have more questions in the future, and we have a few more things to take care of this evening."

DaedalusMkV
2012-03-03, 04:05 AM
"I fear I have nothing of that sort, Father. Perhaps the City Watch or the PDF would possess such records, but the Administratum's job has nothing to do with fighting wars." He looks around the room, waiting for more, then sighs. "Our mutual friend was kind enough to inform me where you would be staying; I'll make sure to pass along anything of interest I find. Emperor guide you in your efforts."

You return to the building's main lobby, where the small crowd of people waiting for some sort of paperwork or another to be processed doesn't appear to have thinned much at all, and then proceed out the door to your groundcar. If you hurry you might be able to catch Watch-captain Perius at the Enforcer precinct where he works, but you aren't terribly familiar with the city and his shift ends fairly soon. You were provided with his home address; you might be able to wait for him there, but it's significantly farther away from the hab you were provided and as such a fair distance out of your way.

How will you proceed?

Mekboy
2012-03-12, 05:23 PM
The embarrassment with the clerk had left Alicia even more annoyed. That, and the odd looks she'd been getting. Let's go then. If we hurry, we should be able to reach Perius before his shift ends.

Whiskeyjack
2012-03-12, 05:31 PM
"We won't be late with me behind the wheel. Get in." Bethesda slides into the driver's seat.

Caimheul
2012-03-12, 05:36 PM
"Emperor watch over us..." Father Tybalt mutters under his breath as he straps himself in.

DaedalusMkV
2012-03-13, 02:28 AM
You pile into the groundcar again, and its slightly cramped interior is no more pleasant than before. It's almost enough to give the impression that nobody ever really expected it to be used in a full-on investigation... Bethesda ignites the engines once more, their powerful thrum propelling the vehicle forwards at a degree of speed and accelleration that nobody but an Arbitrator or a soldier would ever consider prudent in the city's still heavily-occupied streets. Unfortunately, for all her enthusiasm and aggression, she's able to make relatively little headway against the traffic crowding much of the inner city. It would seem that a fairly steep increase in fuel prices was nowhere near enough to actually stop the people of Alterus from using their vehicles.

Despite a few near-misses that nearly send the vehicle plowing into other cars or other disturbingly-solid obstacles, you manage to arrive at the City Watch precinct in question in a reasonable amount of time, a mere few minutes after Perius' shift is supposed to end. Even members of a more sedate profession tend to require more time than this to disentangle themselves from their workplace, and law-enforcers the galaxy across are reknowned for working late, especially ones of Perius' seniority. Chances are he's still somewhere in the building. A number of open parking stalls sit vacant in front of the building, most likely a result of either an unwillingness to loiter in front of a bastion of Imperial law or the signs placed beside them warning that vehicles parked there for any reason other than City Watch business will be impounded. Perhaps a little of both. The precinct itself is a stark, blocky structure of solid rockcrete that seems to be as much fortress as anything. The first floor lacks any windows, and seems to have only a single heavy steel-and-glassteel set of doors. On the roof are what appears to be a set of honest-to-the-Emperor battlements, and mounted above the door is a large emblem of carved stone and worked metal depicting a sword and hammer crossed before the traditional Imperial Aquilla, which you gather is the symbol of the local Enforcers. On one side of the building is a large bay door, once again appearing to be made of segments of solid steel, which you presume leads to some sort of garage. The entire structure seems somewhat out of place in the generally rustic city; it looks like someone took an Imperial Guard prefabricated bunker, built it to five times its proper size and pretended it was a civilian structure.

Bethesda parks the groundcar in front of the building, ending the rather nausea-inducing dash through the city. You once again pile out of the slightly too small vehicle, then enter through the only visible set of doors. The building's interior is far less populous than the bustling Administratum center, with about half a dozen people waiting in a large, stark entryway for some sort of Watchman to help them. The duty officer at the desk is young and straight-backed, appearing no older than twenty Terran years old. He seems to be watching you from the moment you enter, his entire attention focused on your not exactly normal group. As you approach he greets you, "Good evening. How may the Makhar City Watch assis... Ah, assist um. You..." He seems to flinch back slightly as you get closer, beads of sweat appear on his forehead and his eyes widen.

The Architect:

The young man appears to be staring directly at Carlisle, with a somewhat familiar expression of disgust, or possibly horror, building on his face. He seems to be having an extremely strong reaction to your presence, far more so than even the jaded assassin is used to.

Thanatos 51-50
2012-03-15, 02:09 PM
"Perius." Drake commands plainly.
"Take us to him. Immediately."

Caimheul
2012-03-16, 04:09 PM
"No need to be so terse my friend. My son, there is no need for you to be so fearful of us. If you could please direct us to Watch-Captain Perius, I believe we are expected." the priest says with a friendly smile.

Charm: [roll0] TN 24 (I can't wait until I can train Charm...)

Whiskeyjack
2012-03-16, 05:47 PM
"As they said," Bethesda says, producing an Arbites ID.

DaedalusMkV
2012-03-19, 12:55 AM
The young officer looks offended at Drake's rough tone, and manages to gather his wits enough to focus his attention on the tech-adept. "You should show more respect for the Watch, sir. The Watch-captain is..." He catches a glimpse of Bethesda's badge out of the corner of his eye, and his face pales. "My appologies, Arbitrator! I was not informed that you would be coming. The Watch-captain is still in his office; I believe he was planning to remain for another twenty minutes or so to catch up with some sort of Administratum paper-shuffling. If you'll follow this way, I'll take you right there." He stands up, giving you a glimpse of a uniform made from far finer cloth than you'd expect; the young man is probably a noble of some kind, fresh to the local Enforcers. He leads you down a hallway, past a heavy set of double doors and several now-empty offices to the largest office you've seen so far, where he quietly knocks on the door and announces, "Captain, there's an Arbitrator here to see you." then bows and quickly returns to his post.

Inside the room sits a middle-aged man in an old, slightly battered uniform similar to the one the young officer who led you here was wearing. His dark hair is growing grey at the edges, and he looks up from a mess of papers as you file into the room, alert blue eyes quickly taking you all in. "Ah, you must be Malekor's team. About time you showed up; I was about to take matters into my own hands." He gestures to a number of seats scattered about in front of his desk. "Please, sit down, and close the door on your way. I assume you're here to find out what I know about the Malkin event, correct?" He grins fiercely. "Go ahead, ask away. I think I've done a damned good job with my own investigation."

Whiskeyjack
2012-03-26, 03:51 PM
"By all means, tell us everything you know. The questions will come, I'm sure," Bethesda smiles.