PDA

View Full Version : Behold the Power! The Full Moon! The Play is Now Through! (3.5 Cleric Domain, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-29, 03:33 PM
(Entire Title: Behold the Power! The Full Moon! Night Has Now Fallen! The Moon Shines Bright! The Play is Now Through!)

The Lycanthropy Domain
Deities: In the same way that the Elf domain is normally only available to elves, this domain is normally only available to shifters (Eberron Campaign Setting) and lycanthropes. Certain deities who offer the Animal or Moon Domains might also offer this domain to their clerics, but that is at the DM's discretion.

Granted Power: When you select this domain, you choose a single shifter trait from the Eberron Campaign Setting shifter race and gain the ability to manifest that trait (and the ability score bonus that comes with it) once per day as a free action, but only on your turn. Shifting is a supernatural ability that lasts for 3 rounds + your Constitution score. This granted power does not give you the ability to take Shifter feats or qualify for shifter classes. If you are a shifter, you instead gain an additional daily use of your shifting ability, and once per day when you shift, you may gain an additional +2 bonus to the ability score you receive from shifting (a razorclaw would get +4 Strength, for instance).

Spells:

1: Aspect of the Wolf (Spell Compendium)
2: Speak with Animals
3: Bite of the Wererat (Spell Compendium)
4: Bite of the Werewolf (Spell Compendium)
5: Bite of the Wereboar (Spell Compendium)
6: Bite of the Weretiger (Spell Compendium)
7: Bite of the Werebear (Spell Compendium)
8: Master of the Form*
9: Shapechange (Animal Forms Only)

*New Spell, see below

Master of the Form
Transmutation
Level: Lycanthropy 8
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: Self
Duration: 10 minutes/level

You call upon the true power of a lycanthrope, granting you the strength and will of a were-creature.

This spell functions like any of the bite of the spells on your domain list (choose one when you cast the spell), except you also gain the following benefits for the duration of the spell:

You gain the scent ability
You gain damage reduction 10/silver
You gain animal empathy with the chosen animal (Rat for bite of the wererat, etc). You can communicate with the chosen animal and its dire forms as if you shared a language, and you also gain a +4 bonus on Charisma-based skill checks with those animals.
You gain an additional +2 natural armor (stacks with any natural armor the bite of the were-x spell grants, but does not stack with other natural armor unless that bonus is an enhancement bonus)

Cipher Stars
2012-01-29, 03:39 PM
Lot of "Bite" spells.
I dunno. I like it, I do, but some diversity would be nice~
Perhaps remove all the Bites except Werewolf and the last Werebear, and fill them instead with more nature-y moon-based spells.

Ziegander
2012-01-29, 03:45 PM
The Lycanthropy Domain
Deities: Any deity who offers the Animal Domain also offers the Lycanthropy Domain. A shifter (Eberron Campaign Setting) cleric or a natural lycanthrope cleric can select the Lycanthropy Domain as part of a cause.

Why would Ehlonna, for example, offer the Lycanthropy domain? Do you not think that some animal-loving deities find Lycanthropes abhorrent? I would think this should be determined on a case-by-case basis. As for the cause bit, of course shifters and lycanthropes can choose it as part of a cause. Because, by default, anyone can always choose whatever domains they want as part of cause.

Lot of "Bite" spells.
Perhaps remove all the Bites except Werewolf and the last Werebear, and fill them instead with more nature-y moon-based spells.

Ah, but that's what the revamped Moon Domain is for, silly! Which, I was going to suggest you put at the top of your to-do-list, Seraphi. :smallwink:

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-29, 03:50 PM
Why would Ehlonna, for example, offer the Lycanthropy domain? Do you not think that some animal-loving deities find Lycanthropes abhorrent? I would think this should be determined on a case-by-case basis. As for the cause bit, of course shifters and lycanthropes can choose it as part of a cause. Because, by default, anyone can always choose whatever domains they want as part of cause.

Perhaps a case-by-case basis would be more appropriate, but I'm too lazy to go through the entire deity list and decide based on fluff.

I guess I worded it incorrectly. The Transformation Domain from Races of Eberron is shifter-only, same with the Elf Domain being elf-only and the Drow Domain being Drow-only. I wanted to make it so this domain was only available from certain nature-based deities, but available to any shifter or lycanthrope regardless. How would you suggest I word it?

Ah, but that's what the revamped Moon Domain is for, silly! Which, I was going to suggest you put at the top of your to-do-list, Seraphi. :smallwink:

Lot of "Bite" spells.

The Moon Domain? Where did that come from? Sure, lycanthropes draw their power from the moon, but a cleric with this domain isn't a real lycanthrope, he's just emulating lycanthropes, which means he's not actually able to gain power from the moon.

Cipher Stars
2012-01-29, 03:52 PM
Yea, no.
Its nothing to do with another moon domain or anything. And I never said anything about a moon domain pplz =.=

Domains don't often include so many multiples of the same spell chain.
I can only think of the Healing domain. Even then, it substitutes when it can for different spells in line with its domain.

Hell! Your a Homebrewer, fix up your own spells to fill the missing levels.

Ideas:

Bloodhunt: Grant some sort of blindsight/blindsense fueled by Scent.

Preybane: Some sort of fear effect that causes a target to be held immobile in fear.

Shedding: Shed your form and come out anew, leaving behind your ongoing effects such as poisons, diseases, enchantments, even healing wounds as you do so.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-29, 03:57 PM
Bloodhunt: Grant some sort of blindsight/blindsense fueled by Scent.

That would require the cleric to have scent, which he only would if he was already a lycanthrope...unless you're saying the spell should grant both blindsense and scent...

Preybane: Some sort of fear effect that causes a target to be held immobile in fear.

I think you're missing the point. The point is to have a non-lycanthrope cleric being able to emulate lycanthropy. I can't give him spells that let him do things that real lycanthropes don't already do.

Shedding: Shed your form and come out anew, leaving behind your ongoing effects such as poisons, diseases, enchantments, even healing wounds as you do so.

See above.

Edit: Still, animal shapes didn't really fit at all, so I created my own spell, master of the forms, which lets you choose your lycanthropy animal when you cast it and grants you all the additional abilities of the lycanthropy template (minus the actual alternate form, curse and +2 Wis, of course). Is that a good example of an 8th level spell? I've always been pretty bad at balancing those.

Cipher Stars
2012-01-29, 04:05 PM
That would require the cleric to have scent, which he only would if he was already a lycanthrope...unless you're saying the spell should grant both blindsense and scent...

Grants Blindsense BY Scent. Blindsense and Blindsight are granted by some means, this case would be using scent.

I think you're missing the point. The point is to have a non-lycanthrope cleric being able to emulate lycanthropy. I can't give him spells that let him do things that real lycanthropes don't already do.
See above.

Emulates the spirit of the lycanthrope's hunt.
Emulates the spirit of the lycanthrope's shift.

These aren't even "Loose" connections to the spirit of lycanthropy.

I was just giving Ideas when what I was saying was you could make your own.

Whatever... I'm out'a this thread~ Back to stalking Haven -.-

Ziegander
2012-01-29, 04:12 PM
Oh, sorry about the confusion about the Moon Domain. Cipher suggested Moon-themed spells, there's a Moon domain in the Spell Compendium, I thought you (Seraphi) already knew about the Moon domain and planned to revamp it, so I figured this was the perfect time to suggest you do just that. :smallredface:

As for the availability of the domain, I would simply say something along the lines of, "In the same way that the Elf domain is normally available only to Elves and the Dwarf domain is normally available only to Dwarves, so too is the Lycanthropy domain normally available only to Lycanthropes." Then, if you'd like, you can also have deities provide the Lycanthropy domain to non-Lycanthropes.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-29, 04:13 PM
Sounds like a plan.

Milo v3
2012-01-30, 12:50 AM
Personally I like it. A domain doesn't need to be diverse. Its designed to show the focus of the deity.

Also I'm pretty sure the moon comments are coming from the title.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-30, 12:51 AM
Personally I like it. A domain doesn't need to be diverse. Its designed to show the focus of the deity.

Also I'm pretty sure the moon comments are coming from the title.

Yes. An unfortunate side effect of my inability to write anything about lycanthropy without immediately thinking about Valkenhayn R. Hellsing. Glad to hear you like the class though. :smallsmile:

Milo v3
2012-01-30, 01:19 AM
Yes. An unfortunate side effect of my inability to write anything about lycanthropy without immediately thinking about Valkenhayn R. Hellsing. Glad to hear you like the class though. :smallsmile:

Your a Blazblue fan. Awesome.
Is it strange that I think of Tea and Vampires when I hear Valkenhayn name? Instead of werewolves and classy suits. :smallbiggrin:

Daverin
2012-01-30, 01:43 AM
This looks kind of cool, and as far as spell choices, I would say it works as intended. More important was how I am immediately drawn to this thread by the title. It taunts me with the fact I have no Playstation... Oh well, Valkenhayn is awesome nonetheless.

Milo v3
2012-01-30, 01:55 AM
This looks kind of cool, and as far as spell choices, I would say it works as intended. More important was how I am immediately drawn to this thread by the title. It taunts me with the fact I have no Playstation... Oh well, Valkenhayn is awesome nonetheless.

I've got it on Xbox.

But back to the homebrew. NeoSeraphi I'm adding this to one of the gods in our game just so you know.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-30, 01:57 AM
I've got it on Xbox.

But back to the homebrew. NeoSeraphi I'm adding this to one of the gods in our game just so you know.

Haha, by all means! :smallbiggrin:

Your a Blazblue fan. Awesome.
Is it strange that I think of Tea and Vampires when I hear Valkenhayn name? Instead of werewolves and classy suits. :smallbiggrin:

You didn't recognize the quote? It's totally from Valkenhayn's Astral Heat! I especially enjoy the awesome flip-uppercut-kick before I tear Hazama's dancing body to shreds! :smallamused:

Milo v3
2012-01-30, 02:12 AM
Haha, by all means! :smallbiggrin:

You didn't recognize the quote? It's totally from Valkenhayn's Astral Heat! I especially enjoy the awesome flip-uppercut-kick before I tear Hazama's dancing body to shreds! :smallamused:

Can't play as Valkenhayn as I don't have the DCL.

Also, like Hazama would care. He's on perfect health no matter how hard you kill him. Makes sense in a way. He is already dead.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-30, 01:01 PM
Also, like Hazama would care. He's on perfect health no matter how hard you kill him. Makes sense in a way. He is already dead.

Seriously. Even when I'm playing as Hazama, every time I hear "Serpent's Infernal Rapture" I can't help but yell out "Son of a-:smallfurious:". :smallbiggrin: Unlimited Hazama FTW.