PDA

View Full Version : E6 Base Class- The Samurai (3.5 E6, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-30, 01:45 AM
The Samurai

Alignment: Any lawful

HD: d10
Class Skills: The samurai's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis) and Swim (Str).
Skill Points: 4+Int per level, x4 at first level

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Daisho Wielder, Daikyu Wielder

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Kiai Smite 1/encounter

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Staredown

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Kiai Smite 2/encounter

5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Samurai Discipline

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|Mass Staredown, Kiai Smite 3/encounter
[/table]

Class Features: The following are the class features of a samurai.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Samurai are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, as well as with the bastard sword and the greatbow. They are proficient with all types of armor, but not with shields.

Daisho Wielder (Ex): A samurai carries a daisho as a sign of his rank. A daisho collectively refers to the katana (masterwork bastard sword) and wakizashi (masterwork shortsword) that the samurai bears on a dual-sheath attached to his hip. The samurai does not just wear these weapons for show, however. He is able to crush his opponents easily with them. A samurai gains the Two-Weapon Fighting feat as a bonus feat at first level. He need not meet the prerequisites. He may also take the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat if he has +6 BAB or higher, ignoring the Dexterity prerequisite. (This class feature does not grant the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat as a bonus feat)

Daikyu Wielder (Ex): A samurai carries a daikyu on his back. A daikyu is a masterwork greatbow, and training with it allows the samurai to focus on his inner calm and his deadly precision. A samurai gains the Precise Shot feat as a bonus feat at 1st level. He need not meet the prerequisites. A samurai may take feats that list Point Blank Shot as a prerequisite as if he had that feat (though this feature does not actually grant him the benefit of that feat).

Kiai Smite (Ex): Once per encounter, a samurai of 2nd level or higher can give a great cry during combat that invigorates him. When a samurai shouts (a free action), he gains a bonus on all attack rolls and damage rolls he makes for the rest of the round equal to his Charisma bonus (minimum +1). At 4th and 6th level, the samurai gains one additional use of Kiai Smite per encounter.

Staredown (Ex): A samurai's piercing gaze can stop a lesser man in his tracks. A samurai gains a +4 bonus to Intimidate checks, and when he engages in a duel of wills (Tome of Battle), he can really throw his opponent off-base. If the samurai wins the duel of wills, his opponent takes a -10 penalty on its next initiative check and is shaken for one round per samurai class level, in addition to the normal penalties for losing a duel of wills. If the samurai's opponent chooses to submit to his duel of wills, the creature takes the listed penalty to its initiative check and cowers for the first round of combat. If the samurai's opponent chooses to ignore the challenge, and the samurai succeeds the DC 15 Intimidate check, the samurai can attempt to demoralize that creature as a swift action during the first round with a +2 bonus on his Intimidate check.

Samurai Discipline (Ex): A samurai's rank and his dedication to appreciating beauty aid him greatly outside of battle. Starting at 5th level, a samurai receives a bonus equal to his class level on Appraise, Craft (Calligraphy), Diplomacy, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) and Sense Motive checks. He may take 10 on any of these checks, even if he is under duress or threatened.

Mass Staredown (Ex): A samurai's gaze is not one that can be easily ignored. Starting at 6th level, a samurai may attempt to demoralize all enemies within 30 feet who can see him as a standard action.

Steward
2012-01-30, 02:03 AM
I like it. I'm not an expert on E6 (I still can't find a good description of how it works!) but this captures the flavor of the original class while making it somewhat more functional/versatile. The kiai smite doesn't really sound that powerful though. Can you see it as being maybe once an encounter instead?

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-30, 02:09 AM
Sure. Updated to a per encounter use of Kiai Smite.

Togath
2012-01-30, 05:49 AM
While I'm not 100% sure on how E6 works, this does look like it could be a good class to take in even a normal campaign, even with it being built for E6. From the twf feats and staredown ability, I'm guessing this was meant to be based on the cw samurai?, it would be interesting to see an adaption of this for a 20 level class as well(though if you did that, you might want to add two handed weapons[probably swords and spears] as an alternative to duel wielding, in order to give more variety).

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-30, 11:14 AM
While I'm not 100% sure on how E6 works, this does look like it could be a good class to take in even a normal campaign, even with it being built for E6. From the twf feats and staredown ability, I'm guessing this was meant to be based on the cw samurai?, it would be interesting to see an adaption of this for a 20 level class as well(though if you did that, you might want to add two handed weapons[probably swords and spears] as an alternative to duel wielding, in order to give more variety).

Much as I hate to turn down a request, I already promised myself that if I ever made a 20 level samurai class, it would be based on the AD&D 2.E Samurai from Oriental Adventures, not the Complete Warrior version.

One of the best games I've ever played was as a 2.E samurai, so I have fond memories of it and really want to see it as a 20 level 3.5 base class.

Eldest
2012-01-30, 04:46 PM
The original E6 suggestion. (http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/206323-e6-game-inside-d-d.html)

TL;DR
You stop leveling at level six. Instead, every 5000 xp, you gain a bonus feat. For every five feats you gain after level 6, you go up roughly one level in ability, meaning you can be expected to kill stuff one CR level higher. There are no spells beyond 3rd level spells available to PCs, that's for gods and outsiders. So any magic items that require 4th level spells and above are solely the realm of plot.

For the actual class you made, I like all the ideas individually, but they sort of seem have monk syndrome. There are few of them that tie in together. He's meant to be a two weapon fighter with a bow backup. He can attack a little stronger a few times an encounter, until at level six it's pretty much whenever he needs to. He can scare people. And he's good at art. None of these abilities mesh, that I can see. What do you want the class to focus on?

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-30, 04:56 PM
For the actual class you made, I like all the ideas individually, but they sort of seem have monk syndrome. There are few of them that tie in together. He's meant to be a two weapon fighter with a bow backup. He can attack a little stronger a few times an encounter, until at level six it's pretty much whenever he needs to. He can scare people. And he's good at art. None of these abilities mesh, that I can see. What do you want the class to focus on?

I want him to be a samurai. Samurai are all over the place. They wield daisho and daikyu, they are nobles in society, and they're scary as hell. Staredown and Mass Staredown follow a logical progression in my opinion, but it's 6 levels. It's not like every level is supposed to be the same as the last, only stronger.

Eldest
2012-01-30, 05:10 PM
Fair enough. I would think about switching it so the Kiai Shout affects all the Samurai's attacks during a round, instead of just the next one, because he will likely be making two and maybe four attacks per round, not counting attacks of opportunity.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-30, 05:16 PM
Fair enough. I would think about switching it so the Kiai Shout affects all the Samurai's attacks during a round, instead of just the next one, because he will likely be making two and maybe four attacks per round, not counting attacks of opportunity.

Hmmm...since he's TWF and using archery without precision damage, I suppose that's a fair point. Alright then.