PDA

View Full Version : The X-men will save us!

pendell
2012-01-31, 05:57 PM
Worried about robots? Or Zombies?

Never fear. In China, a young man has been born with cat's eye night vision (http://www.digitaltrends.com/international/real-life-x-man-chinese-boy-allegedly-has-cat-like-night-vision/). And another link (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/31/does-chinas-cat-eyed-boy-have-natural-night-vision/?intcmp=features).

Can weather controllers or Magneto be far behind? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Haruki-kun
2012-02-01, 04:19 PM
You know, this is probably the last superpower I'd think I'd want to have, but that I'm reading this, I'm jealous of this kid. :smalltongue:

The Durvin
2012-02-01, 07:23 PM
Cracked had an article here (http://www.cracked.com/article_16449_7-people-from-around-world-with-real-mutant-superpowers.html) about real people with superpowers, such as the blind man that has Daredevil's sonar abilities and Monsier Mangetout, who is basically Matter-Eater Lad--a superhero that was unpopular because his powers were absurd. And that's ignoring the fact that Teddy Roosevelt was basically Doc Savage.

irenicObserver
2012-02-05, 12:50 AM
There is currently a show on the History channel called, "Stan Lee's Super Humans". It starts the world's most flexible man, with commentary from Stan Lee going across the world looking at people with amazing abilities. The episode I saw had a man that could withstand 12 Gs, another Matter Eater guy, someone with super memory, and a martial artist that could knock someone out without touching them.

Draconi Redfir
2012-02-05, 01:16 AM
I saw a TV show about a woman who could taste and see sounds at the same time, a man who could heat himself up in subzero temperatures and run a marathon in the snow in nothing but his boxers, and apparently a guy who was trying to live forever. idk how well that last one is going to turn up though:smalltongue:

Ashen Lilies
2012-02-05, 03:53 AM
There is currently a show on the History channel called, "Stan Lee's Super Humans". It starts the world's most flexible man, with commentary from Stan Lee going across the world looking at people with amazing abilities. The episode I saw had a man that could withstand 12 Gs, another Matter Eater guy, someone with super memory, and a martial artist that could knock someone out without touching them.

I saw an episode of a different show about some guy (the same guy?) who could knock people over/out without touching them. Turns out he could only do it because people believed they were going to get knocked out. They sent a complete skeptic up there, and pretty much nothing happened except the skeptic stood there smirking while the martial artist thrust ineffectually at the air in front of him. Said martial artist later tried to justify it by saying the skeptic probably had his toes crossed in a certain position or something, rendering his technique useless.

Kind of a weaksauce power if you ask me. :smalltongue:

Hazzardevil
2012-02-05, 07:33 AM
I saw an episode of a different show about some guy (the same guy?) who could knock people over/out without touching them. Turns out he could only do it because people believed they were going to get knocked out. They sent a complete skeptic up there, and pretty much nothing happened except the skeptic stood there smirking while the martial artist thrust ineffectually at the air in front of him. Said martial artist later tried to justify it by saying the skeptic probably had his toes crossed in a certain position or something, rendering his technique useless.

Still, if you can show it to a lot of people once, you can then knock lots of people out, making it useful if someone is making irritating noises.

H Birchgrove
2012-02-05, 09:51 AM
Cracked had an article here (http://www.cracked.com/article_16449_7-people-from-around-world-with-real-mutant-superpowers.html) about real people with superpowers, such as the blind man that has Daredevil's sonar abilities and Monsier Mangetout, who is basically Matter-Eater Lad--a superhero that was unpopular because his powers were absurd. And that's ignoring the fact that Teddy Roosevelt was basically Doc Savage.

It's telling that Walter Gibson partially based The Shadow on Harry Houdini.

Flickerdart
2012-02-05, 10:04 AM
a man that could withstand 12 Gs
So, like, an astronaut? How many Gs do they take when lifting off?

Eldan
2012-02-05, 10:07 AM

Actually, only around 3Gs, from what I remember. That is with modern shuttles. Earlier rockets went up to 6s.

irenicObserver
2012-02-06, 06:54 PM

The dressing was that 6 Gs was enough to knock someone out, that pilots need Gsuits to survive such things, the host was passing out at 4; All the science behind it was that it increased body weight and rushed blood from the head, potentially damaging the entire system. I don't know, maybe he could do it without the special training?

Tyndmyr
2012-02-07, 12:27 PM

There was a similar result on the Superhumans show. The host was unaffected by the hit. I didn't really buy him being superhuman.

Likewise, echolocation is trainable. I've done it...at least to a basic "navigate in a room" level, though I admit the amount of detail he got from it far surpassed mine.

However, there was some crazy stuff, like the guy who could run forever...Like, multiple marathons, all the time, just for shiggles, without ever getting tired.

Traab
2012-02-07, 05:26 PM
I saw a TV show about a woman who could taste and see sounds at the same time, a man who could heat himself up in subzero temperatures and run a marathon in the snow in nothing but his boxers, and apparently a guy who was trying to live forever. idk how well that last one is going to turn up though:smalltongue:

I used to be able to do the heat myself up thing. I would walk through snow storms in short sleeve shirts because I was able to mentally basically shut down any cold feelings. I would be shivering then id concentrate hard enough and id stop feeling cold. My ears and such wouldnt even be bright red anymore. I say used to, but its just that I havent tried to d it recently. (this winter has been really mild lol)

Ashen Lilies
2012-02-07, 10:33 PM
There was a similar result on the Superhumans show. The host was unaffected by the hit. I didn't really buy him being superhuman.

Likewise, echolocation is trainable. I've done it...at least to a basic "navigate in a room" level, though I admit the amount of detail he got from it far surpassed mine.

However, there was some crazy stuff, like the guy who could run forever...Like, multiple marathons, all the time, just for shiggles, without ever getting tired.

That's the show I was remembering. Thanks. :smallsmile:

ForzaFiori
2012-02-08, 08:34 PM
I saw a TV show about a woman who could taste and see sounds at the same time

That's called Synesthesia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia), and actually effects a (relatively) large portion of the population, especially compared the the number who can ignore cold, take 12Gs, or who have photographic memories. It also has several different varieties.

Nix Nihila
2012-02-09, 03:46 AM
That's called Synesthesia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia), and actually effects a (relatively) large portion of the population, especially compared the the number who can ignore cold, take 12Gs, or who have photographic memories. It also has several different varieties.

Although it should be noted that most people with synesthesia have associative rather than projective types. For example, I have grapheme -> colour synesthesia, and sound -> colour synesthesia, but they both manifest as an involuntary association of a grapheme or a sound with a certain colour rather than a colour projected over top of my other senses.

Tyndmyr
2012-02-09, 09:58 AM
I used to be able to do the heat myself up thing. I would walk through snow storms in short sleeve shirts because I was able to mentally basically shut down any cold feelings. I would be shivering then id concentrate hard enough and id stop feeling cold. My ears and such wouldnt even be bright red anymore. I say used to, but its just that I havent tried to d it recently. (this winter has been really mild lol)

Right, likewise. I used to live in minnesota, never wore a coat in winter. Like, I went ice fishing in sub-zero temperatures in a sweatshirt and jeans. I still have a much better cold tolerance than people all around me, but I've lost a lot since I moved to maryland, and I even wear a light jacket now sometimes. At least a large part of it is acclimation, but part of it may be genetic, I suppose.

The Durvin
2012-02-09, 11:56 AM
About the guy that could knock people out by convincing them he could knock them out: I used to work with a guy that was really into New Age and martial arts, and he was convinced he was going to *get* superpowers if he trained really super-hard. He said he was working on learning teleportation, and he came in one day all flustered, claiming that he'd just been at his lessons and had done something wrong in such a way that he'd almost made his heart explode. Tellingly, he said Goku was his hero.

And shoot, what's this about photographic memory and synaesthesia counting as superpowers? I mean, yeah, they're about on par with X-Factor's Cipher, but still. What's next, supertasting?