PDA

View Full Version : The Happily Ever After Thread

Tergon
2012-01-31, 06:39 PM
So we've got the main plotline going: Team Evil wants to take control of the Snarl's power, the Linear Guild wants to swoop in and usurp that power while taking down the Order of the Stick, and the Order of the Stick wants to trounce the evildoers and save the day. There are a lot of subplots, secret plans, other groups, and so on... but those are basically the three main groups at the moment.

But what do folks think are the individual motovations, here? Let's assume that, for whatever character you're thinking, their side wins the big fight. Let's further assume that their side wins the big fight in the way that this person, specifically, wants it to happen. What would they do next? What's their Happily Ever After story?

For example, Vaarsuvius!
V has been given a hard lesson in what Ultimate Arcane Power feels like, had the IFCC lay claim to about 45 minutes of soul time, and has lost the family that V left in the Elven Lands. I think V's motivations have shifted somewhat since the start of the adventure, and suddenly other things in life have begun to matter, to the point where I wonder if V really wants Ultimate Arcane Power at all any more.
No, I'd say that in light of that, V's Happily Ever After would be, upon Team Evil and the Linear Guild falling, to return to the Elven Lands... to apologise. And, maybe, to ask to earn the right to spend time with the adopted kids again, and perhaps try to start over again with the baker.
Just plain ol' humility. Judging from where V's path has taken, I think going back to the humble life that was once taken for granted would be the best possible outcome.

Others?

thereaper
2012-01-31, 07:42 PM
Nale: Conquers the world, and everyone bows down before him to proclaim his genius.

Redcloak: Dark One gains control of gate, blackmails gods, world changes so that goblinoids are on top.

Xykon: Conquers world, spends rest of eternity killing things for the lolz.

t209
2012-01-31, 07:46 PM
Nale: Conquers the world, and everyone bows down before him to proclaim his genius.

Redcloak: Dark One gains control of gate, blackmails gods, world changes so that goblinoids are on top.

Xykon: Conquers world, spends rest of eternity killing things for the lolz.

Redcloak's ending might be canon (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html) (500 strips before the reveal of the spy).

Bastian Weaver
2012-01-31, 07:53 PM
I think we all know Elan's happy ending...
Tarquin leaves his evil ways and adopts Roy. And gives them both puppies.

Tergon
2012-02-01, 12:22 AM
Actually... y'know, all silly fantasies and Roy-Adoration aside, I don't think Elan's Happily Ever After would be to be related to Roy. I think it'd be to be Roy. Leading his own group of adventurers (including Haley, naturally) on the next quest to save the world. If only because I don't see either him or Haley ever really settling down.

And I say that 'cause I can see Roy actually wanting to settle down. With Xykon dead and his Blood-Oath fufilled, I could totally see Roy becoming a teacher at the Fighter's Academy or something. Settling down somewhat from the Adventurer lifestyle, maybe with Celia or summat.

thereaper
2012-02-01, 12:44 AM
Redcloak's ending might be canon (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html) (500 strips before the reveal of the spy).

No, no, that one implies goblinoids being treated equally. Redcloak wants the goblinoids to be the oppressors and everyone else the oppressed. As punishment, you understand.

Flame of Anor
2012-02-01, 02:44 AM
Actually... y'know, all silly fantasies and Roy-Adoration aside, I don't think Elan's Happily Ever After would be to be related to Roy. I think it'd be to be Roy. Leading his own group of adventurers (including Haley, naturally) on the next quest to save the world. If only because I don't see either him or Haley ever really settling down.

Well, he might do that, but I can't see him ever giving up his hero-worship of Roy. He would do it in homage to Roy, but he'd always wish Roy were there with him.

oppyu
2012-02-01, 04:42 AM
Belkar's happily ever after probably involves becoming a big-shot in the Chaotic Evil afterlife. With Mr. Scruffy, of course.

martianmister
2012-02-01, 12:04 PM
No, no, that one implies goblinoids being treated equally. Redcloak wants the goblinoids to be the oppressors and everyone else the oppressed. As punishment, you understand.

SoD spoilers:

Actually he wants equality between goblins and other races. Gobbotopia isn't a good example of Redcloak's ideal society.

Cranica
2012-02-01, 12:40 PM
SoD spoilers:

Actually he wants equality between goblins and other races. Gobbotopia isn't a good example of Redcloak's ideal society.

That may be what he says he wants, and what he once wanted, but his behavior even towards non-Azurites (who he has legitimate reason to hate) hasn't been in line with that. Redcloak is sympathetic, but he's still very much Evil and very much a hypocrite.

sr123
2012-02-01, 04:20 PM
I don't think Elan's Happily Ever After would be to be related to Roy. I think it'd be to be Roy. Leading his own group of adventurers (including Haley, naturally) on the next quest to save the world.

This. I like this. Elan would be a natural leader: he's charismatic, experienced, sets a standard of morality, and is high-tier enough to handle himself thoroughly in bad situations.

So what would Elan's adventuring party look like?

Since Roy and V were Elan's mentors, I'm sure he wouldn't have their clones on board, though I wouldn't dismiss him taking in their kin (Roy's sis? V's kids?). Haley is a natural number-two: she can easily lead, but needs the spotlight turned away so she can do what she wants behind everyone's back. Lots of slots left, though, namely arcane/divine demigod, healbot, melee cannonfodder, and treehugging tracker.

sr123
2012-02-01, 04:24 PM
Holy double-post, batman!

Might as well use this to posit a party:
Elan, Haley, V's child (healbot, bard, diplomat, or noncombat role), semi-depressed druid, Lien, and Koykoy (you know what I'm talking about).