PDA

View Full Version : Isles of the Dragonkin - PF Setting (could be used for 3.5), input and ideas welcome

Roxxy
2012-02-01, 03:36 PM
This is a stone age campaign setting set in a world where the Tanari, the humanoid descendants of the civilized dragons, are contending with feral dragons, dinosaurs, vicious mammals, a plethora of magical beasts, the weather, and each other in an effort to forge a way of life that will last through the ages.

This this setting, there is only one playable race: the Tanari. Tanari are about the same size and shape as humans, but only posses hair on their heads. They are covered in colorful scales that are so small and thin they are only discernible up close. A wide variety of marking exist. Their head hair resembles that of humans, but with a large variety of colors, including some individuals with hair that has multiple colors. Their eyes are slightly larger than those of humans, with a wide variety of possible iris colors, including some individuals with multicolored irises. They give birth to and nurse live young (it should be noted that in this world dragons also do this). Tanari are descended from dragons, and have the Dragon type instead of the Humanoid type (The attributes of the Dragon type are being tweaked as a result of this. Spells that are listed as effecting Humanoids effect Dragons unless the creature has a specific immunity to that type of magic.)

Magic comes from the Great Dragons (deities, basically), and there is no distinction between arcane and divine magic. Magic items do not exist, as magic wears off too quickly (there is no permanency spell). However, the Great Dragons bless skilled and brave warriors with magical powers called Juja. Juja points are handed out as rewards, similar to treasure (a Juja point is equal to 1 GP), and used to buy the special abilities of magic items. These special abilities are referred to as a character's Juja. Basically, you can have the things magic items give you, they are just deity granted magical powers instead of things granted by magic items. All characters gain Juja, which means that all characters in the Isle have inherent magical abilities.

The Isles are designed for E10 campaigns (E10 is E6 with the cutoff at level 10 instead of level 6), and have eight character classes, which go up to 10th level:

Sorcerer
Witch
Warrior
Brave
Hunter
Shaman
Keeper
Trickster

Sorcerers and Witches resemble their Pathfinder cousins, Warriors and Braves are Fighters and Barbarians, Hunters are Rangers, Shamans are Druids that serve Cleric roles, Keepers are Bards, and Tricksters are like Ninjas who use magic instead of Ki. I will post the attributes of these eight classes in the post below.

Culture-wise, the Isles are a blend of Afro-Caribbean and Polynesian (Hawaiian and Maori, especially) elements, with some Native American, European, and Asian mixed in as I see fit. There might be some Cajun in the northern swamp islands if I can figure out a way to explain where Cajuns came from.

Roxxy
2012-02-01, 03:42 PM
Reserved for class tables, under construction.

All abilities and spell lists are as Pathfinder RAW and can be found in the Core Rulebook or Advanced Player's Guide class sections unless otherwise specified. All skills are considered class skills for everyone. All classes are proficient will all weapons.

Sorcerer

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Bloodline power, cantrips, eschew materials

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Bloodline power, bloodline spell

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Bloodline spell

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Bloodline feat, bloodline spell

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Bloodline power, bloodline spell

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Bloodline feat[/table]

{table=head]Spells Per-Day
{table=head]Level | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
1st |3| - | - | - | -
2nd | 4 | - | - | - | -
3rd | 5 | 2 | - | - | -
4th | 6 | 3 | - | - | -
5th | 6 | 4 | 2 | - | -
6th | 6 | 5 | 3 | - | -
7th | 6 | 6 | 4 | 2 | -
8th | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3 | -
9th | 6 | 6 | 6 | 4 | 2
10th | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3
[/table][/table]

{table=head]Spells Known
{table=head]Level | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
1st | 4 | 2 | - | - | - | -
2nd | 5 | 2 | - | - | - | -
3rd | 5 | 3 | 1 | - | - | -
4th | 6 | 3 | 2 | - | - | -
5th | 6 | 4 | 2 | 1 | - | -
6th | 7 | 4 | 2 | 2 | - | -
7th | 7 | 5 | 3 | 2 | 1 | -
8th | 8 | 5 | 3 | 2 | 2 | -
9th | 8 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1
10th | 9 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 2
[/table][/table]

6 sided hit die, 4 plus intelligence skill points per level.

Spell list is Pathfinder Sorcerer/Wizard spell list.

Origin of magical abilities is as Pathfinder RAW.

Witch

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Cantrips, hex, patron spells, witch’s familiar

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Hex

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Hex

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Hex

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Hex

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Hex, major hex[/table]

{table=head]Spells Per-Day
{table=head]Level | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
1st | 3 | 1 | - | - | - | -
2nd | 4 | 2 | - | - | - | -
3rd | 4 | 2 | 1 | - | - | -
4th | 4 | 3 | 2 | - | - | -
5th | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | -
6th | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | -
7th | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 | -
8th | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | -
9th | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1
10th | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2
[/table][/table]

6 sided hit die, 2 plus intelligence skill points per level.

Spell list is Pathfinder Witch spell list.

Origin of magical abilities is as Pathfinder RAW.

Warrior

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Bonus feat

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Bonus feat, bravery

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Dodge bonus to AC +1

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Bonus feat

5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Weapon training

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|Bonus feat

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|Dodge bonus to AC +2

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6|Bonus feat

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+6|Weapon Training

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7|Bonus feat[/table]

10 sided hit die, 4 plus intelligence skill points per level.

Brave

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Fast movement, rage

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Rage power, uncanny dodge

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Trap sense +1

4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Rage power

5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Improved uncanny dodge

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Rage power, trap sense +2

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|Indomitable will

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|Rage power

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|Trap sense +3

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|Greater rage, rage power[/table]

12 sided hit die, 4 plus intelligence skill points per level.

Hunter

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|1st favored enemy, track, wild empathy

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Combat style feat

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Endurance, 1st favored terrain

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Hunter's bond

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|2nd favored enemy

6th|
+6/1|
+5|
+5|
+2|Combat style feat

7th|
+7/2|
+5|
+5|
+2|Woodland stride

8th|
+8/3|
+6|
+6|
+2|Swift tracker, 2nd favored terrain

9th|
+9/4|
+6|
+6|
+3|Evasion

10th|
+10/5|
+7|
+7|
+3|3rd favored enemy, combat style feat[/table]

10 sided hit die, 6 plus intelligence skill points per level

All Hunters have the Skirmisher or Trapper archetype.

Roxxy
2012-02-01, 03:44 PM
Post reserved

Roxxy
2012-02-01, 03:47 PM
Another post reserved

Roxxy
2012-02-01, 03:50 PM
Yet another post reserved

Roxxy
2012-02-01, 03:51 PM
One final post reserved

Roxxy
2012-02-01, 03:54 PM
Now that some post are reserved, are there any questions about the setting? I'm still fleshing things out, so they would be highly appreciated, as answering them helps me flesh things out.

I am working on the class tables right now, beginning with the Sorcerer. The classes go up to level 10, and are therefore being tweaked a bit, with features moved around where necessary.

Omeganaut
2012-02-05, 04:45 PM
I like it so far. I would like to see the rest of the classes so I can look at balance, and you probably want to look at the spell lists you are using to see if any no longer fit. Other than that, keep at it!

Pokonic
2012-02-05, 09:39 PM
Now that some post are reserved, are there any questions about the setting? I'm still fleshing things out, so they would be highly appreciated, as answering them helps me flesh things out.

I am working on the class tables right now, beginning with the Sorcerer. The classes go up to level 10, and are therefore being tweaked a bit, with features moved around where necessary.

How is the wildlife spread out? Are there hydras and linnorms in the area, along with other dragonkin? What about other decendents of dragons that are more base then the PC's, such as barly-inteligent humaniods with a more dragonish apperance too what is basicly a Tanari Neanderthal? (Linnormfolk? Bigger variations of Tanari with wings and with a working Breath weapon? )

Roxxy
2012-02-06, 04:51 PM
How is the wildlife spread out?Mostly dinosaurs, megafauna, and larger mammals.

Are there hydras and linnorms in the area, along with other dragonkin?No hydras or linnorms, but there are drakes.

What about other decendents of dragons that are more base then the PC's, such as barly-inteligent humaniods with a more dragonish apperance too what is basicly a Tanari Neanderthal? (Linnormfolk? Bigger variations of Tanari with wings and with a working Breath weapon? )Yes. They are called Ogri, and bear a striking resemblance to half dragon ogres...

Roxxy
2012-02-06, 04:53 PM
I like it so far. I would like to see the rest of the classes so I can look at balance, and you probably want to look at the spell lists you are using to see if any no longer fit. Other than that, keep at it!Thanks. Classes will probably be awhile, as I'm working on my other campaign setting.

Pokonic
2012-02-06, 06:56 PM
Mostly dinosaurs, megafauna, and larger mammals.

No hydras or linnorms, but there are drakes.

Yes. They are called Ogri, and bear a striking resemblance to half dragon ogres...

Huh, just a guess considering your using Pathfinder stuff....

How many individual cultures exist on the islands proper?

Roxxy
2012-02-06, 07:21 PM
How many individual cultures exist on the islands proper?Depends on what you consider an individual culture. If you mean a sentient human shaped race, two (Tanari and Tesri [Merfolk]), or three if you count Ogri. If you mean individual tribes of Tanari, Tesri, and Ogri, thousands. The Isles are about the size of Indonesia, and bear a large population.

Pokonic
2012-02-06, 07:29 PM
Depends on what you consider an individual culture. If you mean a sentient human shaped race, two (Tanari and Tesri [Merfolk]), or three if you count Ogri. If you mean individual tribes of Tanari, Tesri, and Ogri, thousands. The Isles are about the size of Indonesia, and bear a large population.

Huh. Any in particuler that stand out, as in if the party travels a fair distance will they have a good chance at meeting them? Even in such a primitive land certaint cultures would have influenced others. Anyway, what exactly made you exclued other draonish creatures?

Roxxy
2012-02-07, 01:16 AM
Huh. Any in particuler that stand out, as in if the party travels a fair distance will they have a good chance at meeting them? Even in such a primitive land certaint cultures would have influenced others. Anyway, what exactly made you exclued other draonish creatures?I see Linnorms as mostly arctic, while this setting is tropical, and hydras just don't seem to fit for some reason.

There is a dominant culture (Polynesian/Afro-Carribean blend), yes.