PDA

View Full Version : PF Alchemist Archetype - Munitions Expert

Gorfnod
2012-02-02, 04:01 PM
This is my first attempt at a complete piece of homebrew so please go easy on me... actually you know what, tell me like it is.

My first edits are in.

The Munitions Expert

Skills: A munitions expert adds Knowledge (Engineering) to his list of class skills.

Firearm Proficiency: Munitions experts are proficient with all simple weapons, firearms and bombs. They are also proficient with light armor, but not with shields. This replaces the alchemist’s standard weapon and armor proficiencies.

Gunsmith: At 1st level, a munitions expert gains the Gunsmith ability of the Gunslinger class. This includes both the ability to use a battered gun and the Gunsmithing feat. This replaces the mutagen ability.

A Clean Barrel is a Happy Barrel: At 2nd level, a munitions expert can reduce the misfire chance of a firearm. This ability reduces the misfire of any firearm by 1 when it is in working order or by 2 when it is in the broken condition. This ability can never lower the total misfire below 1. This replaces poison use.

Swift Alchemy: This ability functions as the ability of the same name for the alchemist with the following changes. A munitions expert is not able to apply poison as a move action using this ability, in addition when crafting alchemical cartridges, a munitions expert must only spend 25% of the base cost on raw materials to craft the cartridge.

Time for the Big Guns: At 6th level, a munitions expert gains the Siege Engineer feat. He does not have to meet the prerequisites. This replaces swift poisoning.

I Promise This One is Safe: At 8th level, a munitions expert is able to ignore the additional misfire chance of any alchemical cartridge that he creates. This replaces poison resistance and poison immunity.

Now with Even Bigger Guns: At 14th level, a munitions expert gains the Siege Bomb Discovery. He does not have to meet the prerequisites. This replaces persistent mutagen.

Instant Alchemy: This ability functions as the ability of the same name for the alchemist with the following exception. A munitions expert is not able to apply poison as an immediate action using this ability.

First Draft
Firearm Proficiency: At 1st level, a munitions expert gains proficiency with all firearms. This replaces the alchemist’s mutagen ability.

Gunsmith: At 2nd level, a munitions expert gains the Gunsmithing feat. This replaces poison use.

Quick on the Trigger: At 3rd level, a munitions expert gains the Rapid Reload feat for either one-handed firearms or two-handed firearms. This replaces swift alchemy.

Time for the Big Guns: At 6th level, a munitions expert gains the Siege Engineer feat. He does not have to meet the prerequisites. This replaces swift poisoning.

I Promise This One is Safe: At 8th level, a munitions expert is able to ignore the additional misfire chance of any alchemical cartridge that he creates. This replaces poison resistance and poison immunity.

Now with Even Bigger Guns: At 14th level, a munitions expert gains the Siege Bomb Discovery. He does not have to meet the prerequisites. This replaces persistent mutagen.

Instant Alchemy: This ability functions as the ability of the same name for the alchemist with the following exception. A munitions expert is not able to apply poison as an immediate action using this ability.
My overall intent with this archetype was to remove the mutagen and poison abilities from the alchemist completely as I didn't feel that they really fit with the character concept that I had in mind. My initial drive was to add the siege engine background and finding additional material lacking I went forward with firearms and found a combination of the two that I feel is balanced and a good fit for an alchemist focused on weaponry.

Any and all comments, criteria, complaints, suggestions, or anything else is welcome.

Benly
2012-02-02, 05:15 PM
I like the idea of a gun-focused alchemy archetype. The only thing that bugs me about it as it stands is losing Swift Alchemy, since being able to brew up cartridges faster would be a fairly major boon to a gunslinging alchemist. You might amend that to "however, the alchemist does not gain the ability to apply poison as a move action from Swift Alchemy" or some such.

Gorfnod
2012-02-02, 06:18 PM
I could see making this change but I think that I would have to remove the rapid reload feat to balance it out. Removing the poison part of swift alchemy really doesn't do anything when all other poison aspects of the class have been removed. It would amount to the same change I made for Instant Alchemy, which I also gave no additional bonus for.

Cieyrin
2012-02-03, 10:01 AM
What typically happens with firearm archetypes of classes is that first level gets them a firearm of some sort, since, barring the Rich Parents trait, you can't afford a firearm. Check out Musketeer (Cavalier), Holy Gun (Paladin) and Spellslinger (Wizard), they all provide you a gun with limitations. Gun Powder Inquisition just gives you both EWP(Firearms) and Gunsmithing as bonus feats but it just goes to show that you can provide both feats in one slot, which will open up Poison Use for something else. If it's really galling, you could replace Brew Potion for a battered firearm.

Gorfnod
2012-02-03, 04:24 PM
Well the prices of firearms definitely made me rethink the earlier levels.

I have made my changes and my 2nd draft is up for comments.

Thanks to Benly and Cieyrin for their comments so far.

Cieyrin
2012-02-04, 09:53 AM
Looks pretty good to me now. The only thing that could make this better is some new discoveries that enhance alchemical cartridges, like scale the save of the flare or entangling shot, make the Dragon's Breath not suck, maybe empty your bomb concoction into a blunderbuss or dragon pistol and use its scatter radius. That is, if you're up for making new discoveries. :smallwink: