PDA

View Full Version : My damage reduction system PEACH

Devronq
2012-02-02, 05:43 PM
So I never liked how damage reduction was in 3.5 and PF. Seemed way to easy to beat and even then it was way to little. Switching from the 3.0 dr to the 3.5 dr seemed like a bad idea to me seeing all the ways to do high damage. Im not saying this system will fix high damage combo or anything but i think it will function alot better than the 3.5/pf one. Also i think my version of magic damage reduction is far superior (although not original ive heard many people suggest this before). A great wyrm dragon with 20/magic dr seems pointless who isnt going to have a magic weapon by the time they fight one? might as well be 1000/magic for all it matters but with this new system you could give him lets says 30/magic dr and even if someone had a +5weapon they would still be resisted a little bit.

Damage reduction

Generally varies from 5-50 points but could be off any amount. The amounts are generally going to be larger than 3.5 and pf and be closer to 3.0. This ability otherwise functions the same as 3.5 with some exceptions. Basically each strike on a creature with damage reduction causes the damage to be reduced by that amount. If you have the appropriate weapon than you can deal normal or have less of your damage resisted. For the purpose of damage reduction, precision based damage is the same type as the weapon that dealt it. If a lv.10 rouge were to sneak attack with a rapier on a creature with damage reduction then the attack would deal rapier damage + 5d6peircing damage, so probably 1d6+5d6 piercing. Spells that deal slashing, piercing or bludgeoning damage are also subject to damage reduction such as icestorm that deals bludgeoning damage. A spell is always considered to be a magical weapon and for the purpose of penetrating damage reduction. A spell has an enhancement bonus equal to 1/3 of your caster level min +1 max +5. Damage reduction does not stack simply the better one would apply. If you had damage reduction 10/silver and 10/adamantine and someone attacked you with a weapon that was nether silver or adamantine than the damage would only be reduced by 10 not 20. Likewise if you were to be attacked by a weapon that was just silver, than the 10/adamantine would apply and the damage would be reduced by 10. If you were to be attacked by a weapon that was just adamantine, than the 10/silver would apply and the damage would be reduced by 10. If you were to be attacked by a weapon that was both adamantine and silver, nether damage reduction would help so the attack would deal normal damage.

Magic damage reduction
If the creature has magic damage reduction ex.20/magic, each +1 of your weapon takes off 5points of damage reduction. So in the above example a non magical weapon would have 20 points of damage resisted, a +1 weapon would have 15 points resisted, a +2 weapon would have 10 points resisted, a +3weapon would have 5 points resisted and a +4 or greater magic weapon would deal normal damage. Having more bonuses than is needed has no additional effect, so a +5 weapon wouldn’t deal an extra 5 damage it would just deal normal damage. This only specially effects magic damage reduction; if you had 10/silver the bonus of the weapon does not reduce the damage reduction. However if you had 10/silver and magic, then when using a weapon that is both magic and silver each +1 would take 5 points off as normal.

Material, alignment and type based damage reduction
Generally damage reduction that is not based upon magic is based upon a certain material, alignment or damage type. Examples of materials are, silver, coldiron, and adamantine. Alignments are good, evil, chaos and law. Types are piercing, bludgeoning and slashing. Damage reductions of these types are an all or nothing by themselves. Damage reduction10/evil means all non evil weapons have 10 points reduced, while evil weapons deal normal damage.

Damage reduction with more than one condition
Some damage reduction has multiple conditions to beat in order to deal normal damage. If all conditions are not met than the weapon does not deal normal damage and is therefore subject to the damage reduction. Using the example above if a creature has 10/silver and magic damage reduction than someone who uses a weapon that is just silver or just magic has the full 10 damage reduced. While a weapon that is both magic and silver follows the rules for magic damage reduction. Same would apply if the damage reduction was 10/coldiron and good. A weapon that is just coldiron or just good would have 10 points resisted while a weapon that is both coldiron and good would deal normal damage.

Unbeatable damage reduction
Damage reduction that is listed as 10/- means that the damage reduction cant beaten and any type of weapon or source of slashing, piercing and bludgeoning damage will be reduced 10. Unlike other forms of damage reduction unbeatable can stack with itself. If you have 2/- from one source and 3/- from another source you will have 5/-. The better one in the situation will still apply. If you have 5/- and 10/silver you will have 10 points reduced from a non silver weapon because of 10/silver and 5 points reduced from a silver weapon because of 5/-.

TuggyNE
2012-02-02, 05:59 PM
First off, a general comment: it seems like the only significant change in this system is making DR/magic progressive. There is therefore a good bit of apparently redundant rules text that is phrased more like an informal explanation than rules.
Also, there's unfortunately a lot of spelling errors that make my inner nitpicker wince slightly; can you run it through a checker? (And correct some cases of effect/affect, to/too :smallwink:)

Damage reduction does not stack simply the better one would apply. If you had damage reduction 10/silver and 10/adamantine and someone attacked you with a weapon that was nether silver or adamantine than the damage would only be reduced by 10 not 20. Likewise if you were to be attacked by a weapon that was just silver, than the 10/adamantine would apply and the damage would be reduced by 10. If you were to be attacked by a weapon that was just adamantine, than the 10/silver would apply and the damage would be reduced by 10. If you were to be attacked by a weapon that was both adamantine and silver, nether damage reduction would help so the attack would deal normal damage.

As far as I know, this can't actually happen (alchemical silver and adamantine are two different materials that cannot be combined on the same weapon). I suggest changing the example.

Magic damage reduction
If the creature has magic damage reduction ex.20/magic, each +1 of your weapon takes off 5points of damage reduction. So in the above example a non magical weapon would have 20 points of damage resisted, a +1 weapon would have 15 points resisted, a +2 weapon would have 10 points resisted, a +3weapon would have 5 points resisted and a +4 or greater magic weapon would deal normal damage. Having more bonuses than is needed has no additional effect, so a +5 weapon wouldn’t deal an extra 5 damage it would just deal normal damage. This only specially effects magic damage reduction; if you had 10/silver the bonus of the weapon does not reduce the damage reduction. However if you had 10/silver and magic, then when using a weapon that is both magic and silver each +1 would take 5 points off as normal.

Getting to the heart of your revision, this seems interesting but it's hard to check balance without e.g. suggested guidelines for converting existing monster DR.

I do note that this makes straight enhancement bonuses on weapons more attractive again, so there's that.

Anyway, hope that helps for a starter. :smallsmile:

Devronq
2012-02-03, 02:56 AM
{{scrubbed}}
Ya sorry for the redundancy i was doing a rewrite of the rules and just copy pasted the whole thing, but im glad I did because it showed me things like the note on the silver adamantine thing it is a bad example as well as grammer and spelling issues. Just a thought though if you poured alchemical silver(or whatever that item is that temporarily makes something silver) on an adamantine weapon would it then beat both, or become just silver? Ether way il change the example.

About converting.. Il have to think about it i was more or less going to do a case by case conversion. Golems in adnd were completely immune to weapons of less than a certain amount where in 3.0 they had like 30-50dr. Some powerful demons in bauldurs gate shadows of amn ( an adnd based video game for those who dont know) had like 90% damage resistance and 200hp and were still very killable and in that game 50damage was ALOT.

I think golems should have about like triple DR and changed adamantine to adamantine and magic.
5/adam=15/adam+magic
10/adam=30/adam+magic
15/adam=50/adam+magic
I think demons/devils should be about double
5/good=10/good
10/good=20/good
15/good=30/good
also make sure balors, pitfeinds and other strong guys keep there 2 conditions like coldiron and good.

Everyone else again would go case by case maybe like HD based?
1-5 5/blah
5-10 10/blah
11-15 20/blah
16-20 30/blah

Dont hand out 40 and 50 to everyone probably just elder dragons and really strong things like the terrasque.

Dragon dr
5/magic=10/magic
10/magic=20/magic
15/magic=30/magic
20/magic=40/magic

Terrasque 50/magic? there would be no more epic dr since a +10 weapon would negate all his dr and a +6 would allow you to deal descent damage to him.

Any suggestions?

Yitzi
2012-02-03, 07:32 AM
(before i say anything i wrote it on microsoft word and its really gay about grammer and such so honestly i did but it through a spell checker and the only thing it questioned is coldiron, icestorm and adamantine)

That's why one should never rely on mechanical spellcheckers and grammar checkers, but rather proofread it oneself.