PDA

View Full Version : Enchanted Bearskin "Battle Standard" - Help: Standard or Minor?

Dakaran
2012-02-03, 01:23 PM
So I opened a campaign that I started with the Level 1 delve from the Dungeon Delve 4e book. In the 3rd encounter there was an enchanted bearskin rug that gave +2 to all defenses of a dwarf standing on it and +1 to all other non-evil races standing on it. I don't know why I didn't see it coming, but of course my players took the rug with them when they left that chamber. Now I'm left with the task of giving a definition of the item as my players wish to possibly use it in combat. The Dungeon Delve book simply defined the enchantment on the rug, but didn't detail anything else. My current thought is to "define" the item kind of like a Battle Standard, but I could really use to help putting the finer points on it.

My main concern is whether "unrolling" the bearskin should be a Standard or Minor action. I was leaning towards Standard until I realized that battle standards have a minimum burst 5 while the bearskin is a 2x2 rug. Should I consider making it a minor to unroll given the size?

Anyway, here's my current definition. Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Enchanted Bearskin (Level 1)
Wondrous Item ? gp
Power (Encounter * Zone): Standard Action
- When you deploy the enchanted bearskin, it creates a 2x2 zone, which is the size of the bearskin . Dwarves in the zone gain +2 to all defenses. Non-dwarves in the zone who aren't evil gain +1 to all defenses.
- The placement of the bearskin may include your square or an ally's square, but other occupied squares (obstacles or enemies) block squares of the bearskin from being "rolled out". At least one square of the bearskin must be adjacent to the player "rolling it out". As a minor action, a corner of the bearskin that is not "rolled out" may be "rolled out" if the target square is empty (no obstacle or enemy occupying) or occupied by the player or an ally of the player attempting to "roll it out". A player on or adjacent to the bearskin may pick it up as a standard action if no enemies are presently on the bearskin.

Crow
2012-02-03, 01:32 PM
I like it.

tigerusthegreat
2012-02-03, 02:28 PM
Why does this remind me so much of that dwarf king in warhammer fantasy that stands on a shield held up by two other dwarves.

Palabalo
2012-02-03, 02:56 PM
If it was a minor action would it provoke an attack of opportunity?

That may balance the item a bit?

Dakaran
2012-02-03, 03:03 PM
If it was a minor action would it provoke an attack of opportunity?

That may balance the item a bit?

Hm, an interesting thought. So it would be like a "hurried" dropping of the bearskin, leaving yourself open for an attack. I assume you'd intend for the trigger of the opportunity attack to occur if adjacent to an enemy?

Dakaran
2012-02-03, 03:07 PM
Mm, what about this: Dropping the bearskin adjacent is a Minor action (TBD triggering a melee opportunity attack) or throwing the bearskin with a range of burst 2 or 3 is a Standard action (can trigger an opportunity attack like making a ranged/AoE attack would).

Palabalo
2012-02-03, 03:45 PM
As far as balance I think that's not so bad it ends up being +1 defense for only a few characters and isn't too difficult to use. I like it!

Dakaran
2012-02-04, 11:17 PM
Ok, I think I've got a good solution that makes sense, but actually writing it out makes it seem more complex than it should be... oh well. :smallsmile:

Enchanted Bearskin (Level 1)
Wondrous Item 360 gp
Power (At-Will * Zone): Minor or Standard Action
- When you deploy the enchanted bearskin, it creates a 2x2 zone, which is the size of the bearskin . Dwarves in the zone gain +2 to all defenses. Non-dwarves in the zone who aren't evil gain +1 to all defenses.
- To use the bearkskin choose one of the three following methods:
--- (1) Minor Action: You drop the bearskin at your feet. One square of the bearskin must include your square. It will roll out to cover squares of normal and difficult terrain including squares occupied by you and your allies. "Dropping" the bearskin triggers an opportunity attack from adjacent enemies.
--- (2) Standard Action: You carefully roll out the bearskin. At least one square of the bearskin must include either your square or an adjacent square. It will roll out to cover squares of normal and difficult terrain including squares occupied by you and your allies. Does NOT trigger opportunity attacks.
--- (3) Standard Action: You skillfully toss the bearskin with all squares of the bearskin within a range of close burst 3. It will roll out to cover squares of normal and difficult terrain including squares occupied by you and your allies. Tossing the bearskin triggers an opportunity attack from adjacent enemies.
- Difficult terrain covered by the bearskin is still difficult terrain.
- As a minor action, if a square of the bearskin did not roll out and the player is in the square in question, my finish unrolling the bearskin to that square.
- As a standard action anyone may pick up the bearskin.
- As a standard action anyone adjacent to the bearskin may slide it 1 square as long as the bearskin's movement ends adjacent to the person moving it.