PDA

View Full Version : The Sling Master (3.5 PrC, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-05, 01:48 PM
The Sling Master

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/shumate/RomanSling.jpg

Prerequisites: To become a sling master, you must meet the following prerequisites

Feats: Weapon Focus (Sling), Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
Base Attack Bonus: +3
Special: Must have defeated an opponent with a CR equal to or greater than your character level in combat with a sling

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Quick Shooter, Bonus Feat

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Augmented Shot

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Ricochet

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Sundering Impact, Bonus Feat

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Heavy Throw

6th|
+6|
+5|
+5|
+2|Fierce Shot

7th|
+7|
+5|
+5|
+2|Lightning Ricochet, Bonus Feat

8th|
+8|
+6|
+6|
+2|Giant-Slayer

9th|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+3|Scattershot Impact

10th|
+10|
+7|
+7|
+3|Sling Mastery, Bonus Feat
[/table]

Class Features: All of the following are the sling master's class features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Sling masters gain proficiency with light armor, if they did not already have it.

Quick Shooter (Ex): A sling master is able to load his sling as a free action, allowing him to make multiple iterative attacks per round if his Base Attack Bonus is high enough, as well as allowing him to move, load and attack in the same round.

Bonus Feat (Ex): At 1st level, and every 3 levels after that, the sling master gains a bonus feat. He must meet all qualifications for that feat. The feat must have either Point Blank Shot or Weapon Focus as a prerequisite, and the sling master may only take Weapon Focus-related feats that apply to his sling. Additionally, the sling master is always treated as a fighter of his character level for the purposes of qualifying for Weapon Focus feats that apply to his sling (both for his bonus feats and for normal feat slots).

Augmented Shot (Ex): A sling master's skill with his sling is constantly improving. At 2nd level, he chooses Powerful Shot or Careful Shot and adjusts his attacks or damage with his sling accordingly.

Powerful Shot (Ex): A sling master is able to put a large amount of weight behind his throw, allowing him to attack his opponent with pure force, in much the same way as a paladin would swing a sword. Starting at 2nd level, a sling master with Powerful Shot may use his Strength modifier in place of his Dexterity modifier on all attack rolls he makes with his sling.

Careful Shot (Ex): A sling master is able to take precise aim with his shots, and this allows him to strike a target's most vulnerable spot and deliver extra damage. Starting at second level, a sling master with Careful Shot adds his Dexterity modifier to all his weapon damage rolls he makes with his sling (instead of his Strength modifier). This is not precision damage, and the damage applies even to creatures who have no discernible anatomy or are immune to critical hits.

Ricochet (Ex): As a full-round action, at 3rd level and higher, a sling master can sling a bullet at a foe and compel it to ricochet to other enemies before it is destroyed. When using this ability, the sling master makes a full attack with his sling, but each ranged attack must be resolved against a separate target. The sling master can choose the order in which he attacks his foes. Range and cover penalties are resolved for each attack after the first as though that attack originated from the space of the creature the sling master last attacked. If a creature has total cover relative to the sling master, the sling master cannot attack it.

Sundering Impact (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a sling master deals full damage to objects he attacks with a ranged Sunder attempt, as long as he makes that attack with his sling and uses bludgeoning ammunition. The sling master ignores the Size bonuses (but not penalties) of the creature holding/wearing the object during a ranged Sunder attempt.

Heavy Throw (Ex): A sling master's shots are extremely powerful, or are fired with deadly accuracy. Starting at 5th level, a sling master adds twice his Strength modifier to damage rolls with his sling (if he chose Powerful Shot at 2nd level) or twice his Dexterity modifier to damage rolls with his sling (if he chose Careful Shot at 2nd level). This ability overlaps the normal Strength/Dexterity to damage rolls.

Fierce Shot (Ex): A sling master is not an archer. He throws powerful bullets, not arrows. A creature struck in the head by a high-speed bludgeoning weapon often needs some time to recover. Starting at 6th level, a sling master may, as a standard action, make a single ranged attack with his sling at his highest attack bonus. If his attack hits and deals damage, the creature he struck must make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10+the sling master's class level+his Strength modifier (if he chose Powerful Shot at 2nd level) or his Dexterity modifier (if he chose Careful Shot at 2nd level). If the creature fails this saving throw, it is stunned for one round.

If the sling master's attack when using Fierce Shot threatened and confirmed a critical hit, the creature automatically fails its saving throw.

Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to Fierce Shot.

Lightning Ricochet (Ex): Starting at 7th level, a bullet fired by the sling master is able to quickly bounce off his opponents, granting it powerful extra momentum. When the sling master uses his Ricochet ability, he no longer takes any iterative penalties for firing (so each ranged attack is made at the sling master's highest attack bonus).

Giant-Slayer (Ex): When David faced Goliath, with nothing but a sling in hand, he took the giant down with a single shot. A larger foe means a much easier target: right between the eyes. Beginning at 8th level, when a sling master attacks a foe that is at least one Size category larger than him with his sling, he deals damage with his sling as if it was the same Size as the creature he attacked. (To a maximum of Colossal for Colossal creatures). If the sling would already deal more damage (for example, if a Small-sized sling master attacked a human with a Large-sized sling) this effect is ignored.

Scattershot Impact (Ex): A bullet is a funny tool. In the right hands, it can not just strike an opponent, but shatter, and harm all creatures in the path. Starting at 9th level, whenever a sling master successfully strikes a target with his sling, the bullet he fired shatters, and all creatures adjacent to the attacked creature take damage equal to half the damage the creature struck took. A successful Reflex saving throw (DC 10+sling master class level+Str mod (if the sling master chose Powerful Shot at 2nd level) or Dex mod (if the sling master chose Careful Shot at 2nd level)) halves the damage. Scattershot Impact applies to the last creature struck when the sling master uses his Ricochet class feature. The sling master may only use Scattershot Impact when he fires bullets from his sling (it does not apply when he fires stones or rocks).

Sling Mastery (Ex): A true sling master is always prepared. He keeps a bullet cocked in his sling and can crush his opponents with a single shot. Starting at 10th level, a sling master threatens all squares within 30 feet of him while wielding his sling, and may make ranged attacks of opportunity with his sling. Any creature that the sling master successfully strikes with a ranged attack of opportunity from his sling is unable to move for the rest of the round. (If the creature was moving during the AoO, it is stopped in the square it was hit. If the creature was charging during the AoO, it falls prone in the square it was hit)

AugustNights
2012-02-05, 03:58 PM
Image recommendation

(P)E.A.C.H.ings

For the bonus feats, limiting it to things that require Point Blank Shot or Weapon Focus Sling is a quick and dirty route, but if you have the time, why not compile a list? I'm sure there are some appropriate feats that do not meet either of those criteria.

Odd formatting in the table/class features for an option of two abilities between powerful shot and careful shot. Perhaps compiling them into one class feature with two options below, as other classes (though which, off the top of my head, I could not tell) have done?

Ricochet is okay, but not really worth being lonely at level 3. It allows the sling master to maybe ignore some relative cover, and perhaps save money on alchemical/magical ammunition, but not much else. Maybe some range increments being avoided.

"A sling master is not an archer. He throws powerful bullets, not arrows. A creature struck in the head by a high-speed bludgeoning weapon often needs some time to recover. "
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that a creature struck in the head by a high-speed arrow is going to need some time to recover as well...or rather, isn't going to recover very well at all. Seems like an odd flavor text thing to use for this feature.

Lightning Ricochet is nice. No reason, however, not to use it every time, unless there is some relative cover.

Giant slayer seems like an odd feature. I know the story that inspires it, but it feels out of place with this class. This class seems to be about being so good with a sling, that one could take down a giant despite its size, not because of it.

Scattershot Impact is fun, but kind of weak to be a lonely ability at level 9.
Also, why limit it to bullets and not rocks/stones?

Sling Mastery may be, and I do mean "may" in that, but it may be too powerful. Seems like an awful lot of ground to be able to make AoOs in. The stopping movement is probably a bit too much. Especially without a save. Definitely creates a very potent lock-down control area.

EdroGrimshell
2012-02-05, 04:02 PM
All i could think of from the title was Usopp and Sogeking from One Piece..

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-05, 04:11 PM
Image recommendation

Thank you.

(P)E.A.C.H.ings

For the bonus feats, limiting it to things that require Point Blank Shot or Weapon Focus Sling is a quick and dirty route, but if you have the time, why not compile a list? I'm sure there are some appropriate feats that do not meet either of those criteria.

I don't have time at the moment, but I might later.

Odd formatting in the table/class features for an option of two abilities between powerful shot and careful shot. Perhaps compiling them into one class feature with two options below, as other classes (though which, off the top of my head, I could not tell) have done?

Sure.

Ricochet is okay, but not really worth being lonely at level 3. It allows the sling master to maybe ignore some relative cover, and perhaps save money on alchemical/magical ammunition, but not much else. Maybe some range increments being avoided.

The range is already determined by the new target (so someone you hit 50 feet away would allow you to attack another person who is 50 feet from that guy, even if he's 100 feet from you).

"A sling master is not an archer. He throws powerful bullets, not arrows. A creature struck in the head by a high-speed bludgeoning weapon often needs some time to recover. "
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that a creature struck in the head by a high-speed arrow is going to need some time to recover as well...or rather, isn't going to recover very well at all. Seems like an odd flavor text thing to use for this feature.

"Recover" in this situation means "return to consciousness" or "act normally". A person who has been struck by an arrow (assuming they aren't dead) can keep going, because all being pierced generally does is rip nerves and cause bleeding. Meanwhile, bludgeoning weapons smash bones.

Lightning Ricochet is nice. No reason, however, not to use it every time, unless there is some relative cover.

Sure there is. For example, if you want to attack the same creature with your full round attack instead of a multitude of creatures. Or if you want to adjust your position (tactical movement) before you attack. Or, if you want to stun the creature with Fierce Shot. Lightning Ricochet augments your full-round attack, but there are many other things you can do besides full-round attack.

Giant slayer seems like an odd feature. I know the story that inspires it, but it feels out of place with this class. This class seems to be about being so good with a sling, that one could take down a giant despite its size, not because of it.

It's basically an upgraded version of the Size penalty to AC. A creature who is larger has more body mass, and therefore has a larger and easier to hit weak spot. So the sling master can exploit it (unlike a melee warrior, who couldn't reach between the eyes).

Scattershot Impact is fun, but kind of weak to be a lonely ability at level 9.
Also, why limit it to bullets and not rocks/stones?

Bullets are hand-crafted to be ammunition. Rocks and stones are not. In this case, it's an expanded penalty on the improvised ammunition aspect of the sling.

Sling Mastery may be, and I do mean "may" in that, but it may be too powerful. Seems like an awful lot of ground to be able to make AoOs in. The stopping movement is probably a bit too much. Especially without a save. Definitely creates a very potent lock-down control area.

You only have one Attack of Opportunity per round, unless you're optimizing otherwise (and you've been a ranged attacker for your entire career up until now. Feats that help AoOs have been very very wasted until this point).

Cipher Stars
2012-02-05, 04:26 PM
http://images.wikia.com/onepiece/images/5/53/Usopp.png

I like the class. I'm not into slings or such, but I would use this if I ever did. :smallbiggrin:

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-05, 08:06 PM
All i could think of from the title was Usopp and Sogeking from One Piece..

Yes, well, unfortunately, a sling is a far different weapon than a slingshot.

EdroGrimshell
2012-02-06, 12:47 AM
Yes, well, unfortunately, a sling is a far different weapon than a slingshot.

Well, the sling was originally called the slingshot, and there is no in game statistics for a slingshot, and they were historically used as weapons, so it does stand to reason that a sling and sling shot could, and probably do, have the same stats.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-06, 12:54 AM
Well, the sling was originally called the slingshot, and there is no in game statistics for a slingshot, and they were historically used as weapons, so it does stand to reason that a sling and sling shot could, and probably do, have the same stats.

I doubt it. After all, a slingshot is not a "semi-thrown weapon" like a sling is. You don't need to put any strength behind your shot, it's aim and fire. Yes, you require strength to pull the bullet back, but not anymore than you do a bow. So it would probably end up dealing the same damage, but not letting you add your Strength modifier to damage rolls, same as a bow.

Knaight
2012-02-06, 01:32 AM

Given that slings and sling shots operate based on completely different mechanisms, and that a sling shot is closer to a bow than a sling in operation there is no reason to assume the statistics would be the same. Also, sling shots were not historically used as weapons, as the elastic materials necessary are relatively modern, at most they were hunted with.

As for the class - it seems a bit weak overall. Also, as a slinger it feels a bit odd for strength to really have an effect on aim, as it is all technique, but that doesn't really bother me given the dexterity option. Some slight changes that could help:

1) This class needs more range, badly. If you replace the bonus feats with a collection of abilities (including range enhancers) that can be selected that outdo feats some, that issue should go away, as does the issue of too much power. Ricochet helps with this some, but it is quite limited.

2) Drop the range for the capstone ability to 30 feet. At that point it is still significant, but not overpowering - right now it outpaces the rest of the class a bit.

3) Change Scattershot Impact so that it still does half damage on a successful save. Evasion provides full missing anyways, so that should be fine.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-06, 01:36 AM
1) This class needs more range, badly. If you replace the bonus feats with a collection of abilities (including range enhancers) that can be selected that outdo feats some, that issue should go away, as does the issue of too much power. Ricochet helps with this some, but it is quite limited.

If the sling master wants range, he can use one of his bonus feats to take Far Shot. Bam. Instant 100' range with the sling.

2) Drop the range for the capstone ability to 30 feet. At that point it is still significant, but not overpowering - right now it outpaces the rest of the class a bit.

3) Change Scattershot Impact so that it still does half damage on a successful save. Evasion provides full missing anyways, so that should be fine.

Did both, thanks for the advice.

Knaight
2012-02-06, 02:57 AM
If the sling master wants range, he can use one of his bonus feats to take Far Shot. Bam. Instant 100' range with the sling.

That's still pretty bad. From a realism perspective, people have actually managed shots of over 1000 feet (10 range increments) with slings made to historical designs, using historical ammunition, whereas bows 2200 feet haven't been reached with hunting or combat arrows.

AugustNights
2012-02-06, 04:48 AM
...Also, sling shots were not historically used as weapons, as the elastic materials necessary are relatively modern, at most they were hunted with.

The Basque would like to disagree with the part in bold.
"History" is a funny word. "Modern," too.
Because things have been "modern" since the middle ages.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-06, 10:17 AM
That's still pretty bad. From a realism perspective, people have actually managed shots of over 1000 feet (10 range increments) with slings made to historical designs, using historical ammunition, whereas bows 2200 feet haven't been reached with hunting or combat arrows.

I'm not concerned about realism. I'm making a class to make the D&D sling better. The D&D sling has a range limit of 50 feet. A single feat increases this to 100 feet. Most combat takes place within 50 feet.

Given that no PHB character can see farther than 60 feet in the dark, a range limit of greater than 200 feet would be useless for half of the adventuring day anyway.

Cieyrin
2012-02-06, 10:21 AM
Still, slings and slingshots are not at all related. I can't for the life of me find any slingshots that date back any further than 1840, while there are Biblical references to slings, along with historical references throughout the Bronze Age and later times. I can't find much in relation to how the Basque people use their slingshots, so I can't say much on that.

In relation to the actual PrC, I like a lot of what I see, though having the ability to reload as a free action earlier than 6th level would be nice.This class looks like it could be handled fine be entered at 4th level, which is just soon enough that a Strongheart Halfling or any Halfling that dips a level of Fighter could manage it, provided they met BAB +3. That would also help any perceived weakness people are seeing as well.

EDIT:
Given that no PHB character can see farther than 60 feet in the dark, a range limit of greater than 200 feet would be useless for half of the adventuring day anyway.

Sunrod and Low-Light Vision means 60' of bright and 120' of shadowy, so you can theoretically do better than that.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-06, 10:44 AM
In relation to the actual PrC, I like a lot of what I see, though having the ability to reload as a free action earlier than 6th level would be nice.This class looks like it could be handled fine be entered at 4th level, which is just soon enough that a Strongheart Halfling or any Halfling that dips a level of Fighter could manage it, provided they met BAB +3. That would also help any perceived weakness people are seeing as well.

Haha. I'm glad that you like it, seeing as it was your post that inspired me to make the class. I lowered the BAB prerequisite to +3.

EDIT:

Sunrod and Low-Light Vision means 60' of bright and 120' of shadowy, so you can theoretically do better than that.

True, but given that without that sunrod, your enemies wouldn't be able to see much farther than 60' themselves anyway, it seems like most combat at night would take place much closer.