PDA

View Full Version : Iron Heart Surge Fix (3.5 possible fix)

gooddragon1
2012-02-06, 07:04 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eldest
2012-02-06, 07:07 PM
But how would you decide the effective level of, oh, say, stunned? Or death? Or poisoned?

gooddragon1
2012-02-06, 08:19 PM
But how would you decide the effective level of, oh, say, stunned? Or death? Or poisoned?

Depends on the source but if it's too confusing it can be up to DM discretion to set the DC.

Ziegander
2012-02-06, 08:27 PM

In the case of all of those effects "the level" would be 11 + HD of the creature that caused the condition. Which could be really tough for the initiator to overcome in a LOT of cases.

Eldest
2012-02-06, 10:33 PM
Which still lets the initiator come back from the dead. It just takes a good initiator check.
Maybe you should give a list of effects it can cancel, and sample DCs if you are set on that part.

Ziegander
2012-02-06, 11:00 PM
Which still lets the initiator come back from the dead. It just takes a good initiator check.
Maybe you should give a list of effects it can cancel, and sample DCs if you are set on that part.

Coming back from the dead would require an incredibly generous DM. You don't get actions when you're dead, not even free actions. If I used this version of IHS, I would only allow it on the readied action of, "if I am targeted by a Death effect and die, then Iron Heart Surge." Which is such a huge corner case that it's just a waste of an action.

That being said, it would probably be a good idea to make Iron Heart Surge an immediate action. Then it would work like a martial counterspell, which is pretty neat.