PDA

View Full Version : Shield Feats

ngilop
2012-02-06, 07:42 PM
Hey everybody, I read Zeigander's thread on making dual wleidng a much much better alternative to non-precision based damage dealers than picking up a greatsword or a polearm and being awesome..

I searched through the forums as best I could and found there to be a dearth of sheild based feats so I am tossing in a couple that I have already. Hopefully they are allright and do not overlap with feats already in existance tooo much.

Shield Pummel [General]
Prerequisite: Improved Shield Bash, Base Attack Bonus +3
Benefit: Your SHield bash now can knock an opponent prone if they fail a fortitude save at DC 15+Shield Bash damage dealt.

Shield Wall [General]
Prerequisite: Base Attack Bonus +6
Benefit: You can no longer be flanked by the attacker on front and your shield side. ( this makes it so out of 8 spaces you can be flanked normally, now its only 3)

Bulwark [General]
Prerequisite: Shield Wall, CON 13
Benefit: No attack goes through your sheild completely, giving you DR 2/-

Brutalize [General]
Prerequisite: Improved Shield Bash, Power Attack
Benefit: When making a Shield Bash attempt and using the Power Attack Option a successful attack Staggers the target for 1 round.

Mangle [General]
Prerequisite: Improved Shield Bash ,Base Attack Bonus +12
Benefit: A successful SHield bash attack fatigues the target.

Shield Deflection [General]
Prerequisite: Bulwark, Base Attack Bonus +14
Benefit: Once per round and forgoing your shield bonus to ac for that round you may re-direct any single target spell cast at you back at the orignitating caster, who suffers the normal effects of that spell.

TuggyNE
2012-02-06, 08:50 PM
Hmm, might want to do some copyediting for spelling etc in general. Specific critiques follow.

Shield Wall [General]
Prerequisite: Base Attack Bonus +6
Benefit: You can no longer be flanked by the attacker on front and your shield side. ( this makes it so out of 8 spaces you can be flanked normally, now its only 3)

This requires keeping track of facing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/combatFacing.htm), which is a variant rule. You may want to adjust it accordingly, as well as noting that it's essentially a variant.

Bulwark [General]
Prerequisite: Shield Wall, CON 13
Benefit: No attack goes through your sheild completely, giving you DR 2/-

Does this stack with barbarian DR, or other sources of DR/-, such as adamantine armor/shields?

Shield Deflection [General]
Prerequisite: Bulwark, Base Attack Bonus +14
Benefit: Once per round and forgoing your shield bonus to ac for that round you may re-direct any single target spell cast at you back at the orignitating caster, who suffers the normal effects of that spell.

This should probably be called shield reflection (deflection implies that it gives a deflection bonus to AC). Also, clarification on what action is required (I assume it's a free action that can be taken on another's turn, or perhaps an immediate action) would be useful.

jmelesky
2012-02-06, 10:58 PM
Shield Pummel [General]
Prerequisite: Improved Shield Bash, Base Attack Bonus +3
Benefit: Your SHield bash now can knock an opponent prone if they fail a fortitude save at DC 15+Shield Bash damage dealt.

Pathfinder has a feat in a similar vein called Shield Slam (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/shield-slam-combat---final):

Prerequisites: Improved Shield Bash, Shield Proficiency, Two-Weapon Fighting, base attack bonus +6.

Benefit: Any opponents hit by your shield bash are also hit with a free bull rush attack, substituting your attack roll for the combat maneuver check (see Combat). This bull rush does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Opponents who cannot move back due to a wall or other surface are knocked prone after moving the maximum possible distance. You may choose to move with your target if you are able to take a 5-foot step or to spend an action to move this turn.

Shield Wall [General]

I agree with tuggyne: facing is awkward. You could instead make it similar to uncanny dodge: no flanking, unless they have X more hit dice than you (or X more base attack bonus, or something).