PDA

View Full Version : Everything...Disappear! (3.5 Feat, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-08, 03:58 PM
Legacy Edge
Prerequisites: Able to cast telekinesis as a spell or spell-like ability
Benefit: In order to use this feat, you must be carrying an extra-dimensional space, such as a bag of holding or a portable hole. You must actually be carrying the item in your hand in order to use the manipulate action that this feat entails, so you may not draw it as part of the full-round action required to use this feat. As a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity, you may open a portal to the extra-dimensional space that you hold, and, using a daily use of your telekinesis spell-like ability, a prepared casting of it, or an appropriately leveled spell slot, you may fire the entire contents of your extra-dimensional space forward as projectile weapons. Unlike the telekinesis spell, you may hurl 2 items per caster level (max 30), but you may still throw no more weight than 25 pounds per caster level. (Any additional items are left in your extra-dimensional space.)

Attacking with the contents of your extra-dimensional space and the damage they deal functions as if you were casting the telekinesis spell. At the end of your attack, all items you attacked with instantly return to your extra-dimensional space. (Though you may elect to leave them where they landed if you wish).

You may only use this feat once per encounter.

Mulletmanalive
2012-02-08, 05:48 PM
Is this based on the Jack Rakan technique from Mahou Sensei Negima!?

How the hell are you supposed to ask questions about a title that includes an exclaimation point?

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-08, 11:04 PM
Is this based on the Jack Rakan technique from Mahou Sensei Negima!?

No, it's based on Nu-13's Legacy Edge technique, from BlazBlue.

Knight13
2012-02-09, 02:25 PM
Aw, too bad about that weight limit. I was picturing stocking your portable hole with a couple tons of spears and then launching the lot of them at an attacking army or something.

jojolagger
2012-02-09, 02:38 PM
Fire shuriken as per the spell don't have a given weight. And do really nice damage. Even if we have to use normal shuriken weight, it's 3d6 per.

Knight13
2012-02-09, 02:39 PM
What if you get a big boulder or 10-foot steel sphere or something, use Reduce Item to get it under the weight limit, launch it, then end the Reduce Item spell en route to the target?

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-09, 02:45 PM
Aw, too bad about that weight limit. I was picturing stocking your portable hole with a couple tons of spears and then launching the lot of them at an attacking army or something.

That would be waaaay too overpowered for just one feat. Still, it's pretty nice. I mean, 20 arrows weighs 3 lbs. That means you can fire...2,500 arrows with this feat. Each one deals 1d4 damage. And your arrows can block out the sun. :smallamused:

The-Mage-King
2012-02-09, 03:50 PM
...Dude, this is TOTALLY Gilgamesh's Gate of Babylon! Throw everything from your extradimensional space at people? YEP.

Also, awesome homebrew.

Milo v3
2012-02-09, 04:59 PM
Really like this.
It seems that it would be balanced when used with weapons like longswords (which I'm sure is the intention), but it seem that it can instantly become severely overpowered when using ammunition.

But I can't think of anyway to fix that without a complete rewrite. But it like it as is. Great work!

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-09, 05:06 PM
Really like this.
It seems that it would be balanced when used with weapons like longswords (which I'm sure is the intention), but it seem that it can instantly become severely overpowered when using ammunition.

But I can't think of anyway to fix that without a complete rewrite. But it like it as is. Great work!

The thing is, ammunition breaks instantly when its used. So yes, you could unleash a torrent of arrows, but they'd all break and you'd have to replace them with money out of your pocket.

Edit: Also, Damage Reduction. Even DR 5/Magic will completely negate that 2500d4 damage. If you prepare for DR by enchanting your arrows, you lose them still. Instantly destroyed. It's not at all monetarily feasible. Normally, we don't think about things like that, since ammunition takes on whatever traits the bow firing it uses, but in this situation, you'd have to enchant the ammunition itself. 2000 gp to make 50 arrows +1. That's 10,000 gp for one awesome attack, and after that all those +1 arrows are destroyed. Not to mention adamantine, alchemical silver, or alignments.

jojolagger
2012-02-09, 05:36 PM
The thing is, ammunition breaks instantly when its used. So yes, you could unleash a torrent of arrows, but they'd all break and you'd have to replace them with money out of your pocket.

Edit: Also, Damage Reduction. Even DR 5/Magic will completely negate that 2500d4 damage. If you prepare for DR by enchanting your arrows, you lose them still. Instantly destroyed. It's not at all monetarily feasible. Normally, we don't think about things like that, since ammunition takes on whatever traits the bow firing it uses, but in this situation, you'd have to enchant the ammunition itself. 2000 gp to make 50 arrows +1. That's 10,000 gp for one awesome attack, and after that all those +1 arrows are destroyed. Not to mention adamantine, alchemical silver, or alignments.

Actually, I'm 99% sure there is an easy way around that, which would increase costs but assure the damage.
Will check when I get back to my books.

NeoSeraphi
2012-05-19, 11:32 AM
Alright, I came back and added some restrictive text that makes every item count as at least 1 lb individually, so you can't just toss in a bunch of fire shurikens or arrows and expect to throw them infinitely.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2012-05-19, 05:37 PM
Definitely overpowered. Consider the normal limit is 15 items, or, using Greatswords, 30d6 points of damage. Now, using daggers (which, unlike bolts, won't break), I can do 375d4 damage. That's one feat and what is, quite frankly, a rather small amount of money to gain a HUGE damage increase...and one that will also bog down gameplay as I roll 375 attack rolls, and then damage for everything that hit.

Yes, some DR will stop it cold. But not all opponents have DR, and this sort of damage is WAY to high to be gained for just a feat and a 5th level spell slot.

Compare this to Disintegrate. At the maximum level of this feat (level 15, due to how Telekinesis works), you can deal 375d4 damage. Disintegrate deals 30d6. 30d6 averages to 105 damage...375d4 averages to 935 damage. And uses a lower spell slot.

If you hit 1 in every 9 attack rolls, this starts to fall behind (dealing 104.something damage on average--so it falls behind by LESS THAN A SINGLE POINT). If you hit more than 1 in 9, this comes out ahead by an ever increasing margin. So as long as you'll hit your target with a roll of 3, this is a far superior damage dealing tool...and that's NOT counting critical hits, which you can get, nor magic daggers, which you might have somewhere in the mix.

I really enjoy the visual, and find it hilarious. I think the mechanics, however, are incredibly overpowered. A potential average of 935 damage, without metamagic shennigans and/or optimizing a build, is FAR beyond what one should get out of a 5th level spell slot.

Hm. Other ways to go about this...

Perhaps something that ups the damage by 25-75% from what it would normally be (in whatever way you feel most appropriate) and makes your targets flat-footed (it IS a rather unexpected attack) [with the caveat that you can't Sneak Attack with anything but the first attack, perhaps], but doesn't return the items to the bag. Now there's some penalty in terms of efficiency, as you'll spill all the stuff out of the bag, but that's balanced by the more powerful effect--this way, you get the power, but you can't use it ALL the time.

NeoSeraphi
2012-05-19, 07:43 PM
Definitely overpowered. Consider the normal limit is 15 items, or, using Greatswords, 30d6 points of damage. Now, using daggers (which, unlike bolts, won't break), I can do 375d4 damage. That's one feat and what is, quite frankly, a rather small amount of money to gain a HUGE damage increase...and one that will also bog down gameplay as I roll 375 attack rolls, and then damage for everything that hit.

Yes, some DR will stop it cold. But not all opponents have DR, and this sort of damage is WAY to high to be gained for just a feat and a 5th level spell slot.

Compare this to Disintegrate. At the maximum level of this feat (level 15, due to how Telekinesis works), you can deal 375d4 damage. Disintegrate deals 30d6. 30d6 averages to 105 damage...375d4 averages to 935 damage. And uses a lower spell slot.

If you hit 1 in every 9 attack rolls, this starts to fall behind (dealing 104.something damage on average--so it falls behind by LESS THAN A SINGLE POINT). If you hit more than 1 in 9, this comes out ahead by an ever increasing margin. So as long as you'll hit your target with a roll of 3, this is a far superior damage dealing tool...and that's NOT counting critical hits, which you can get, nor magic daggers, which you might have somewhere in the mix.

I really enjoy the visual, and find it hilarious. I think the mechanics, however, are incredibly overpowered. A potential average of 935 damage, without metamagic shennigans and/or optimizing a build, is FAR beyond what one should get out of a 5th level spell slot.

Perhaps something that ups the damage by 25-75% from what it would normally be (in whatever way you feel most appropriate) and makes your targets flat-footed (it IS a rather unexpected attack) [with the caveat that you can't Sneak Attack with anything but the first attack, perhaps], but doesn't return the items to the bag. Now there's some penalty in terms of efficiency, as you'll spill all the stuff out of the bag, but that's balanced by the more powerful effect--this way, you get the power, but you can't use it ALL the time.

The visual is definitely important, though. I'm paying an homage to Nu-13's Legacy Edge attack, and that involves 25-35 longswords flying at someone.

Hmm...perhaps simply granting you the ability to pull them all out of your extradimensional space and doubling the number of items you can normally chuck will be sufficient.

Empedocles
2012-05-19, 07:53 PM
Perhaps make it an area attack, with damage based on the number of swords and a reflex save for half damage? It seems thematically appropriate.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2012-05-19, 07:55 PM
Hmm...perhaps simply granting you the ability to pull them all out of your extradimensional space and doubling the number of items you can normally chuck will be sufficient.

I'd accept the possibility of doubling the damage if the items aren't returned to the bag (so you can't do it repeatedly). Also I'd make it 1/encounter, to prevent meta-gaming with Portable Hole full of Daggers spam, which would be to strong at x2 damage all day long.

Either that, or make it +50% damage and treat enemies as Flat-footed, make the items not return to the device, and don't put any sort of limit on it.

NeoSeraphi
2012-05-19, 07:57 PM
I'd accept the possibility of doubling the damage if the items aren't returned to the bag (so you can't do it repeatedly). Also I'd make it 1/encounter, to prevent meta-gaming with Portable Hole full of Daggers spam, which would be to strong at x2 damage all day long.

1/encounter seems appropriate. But if I put that limit on it, it doesn't seem like there'd be any reason to make them stay out of the bag, so I'll let them return.

Milo v3
2012-05-19, 08:04 PM

I wouldn't make it flat-footed as if you've seen them do it once, you can start to predict were it will come from. And it needs to return the items to the space as it is one of the main things about Legacy Edge. And the character who used this used this as her signature attack so it think multiple uses fits.

EDIT: NeoSeraphi could you make a multiple use version of this but it only throws one object?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2012-05-19, 08:12 PM
1/encounter seems appropriate. But if I put that limit on it, it doesn't seem like there'd be any reason to make them stay out of the bag, so I'll let them return.

Makes sense to me!

NeoSeraphi
2012-05-19, 08:25 PM
EDIT: NeoSeraphi could you make a multiple use version of this but it only throws one object?

:smallconfused: Why would I do that?...OH! :smallbiggrin:

Calamity Sword, huh? It's easy enough, really, no need for me to make a new one. Just mentally reposition it to "You may only throw one weapon" and remove the 1/encounter limit.