PDA

View Full Version : PF monstrous races (PEACH)

diceweasel
2012-02-09, 03:01 PM
I've been working on a few homebrew races that tie in to my ongoing fascination with playable monsters. These monster-kin were designed to create medium-sized bipeds flavored with iconic mythic monsters and then given the option of "buying" many or all of those monsters' abilities over time using feats, but without losing the customizability that being a human or generic demi-human results in. This being my first attempt at serious homebrew, I have no strong idea how realistic the balance is, though I tried my best to keep it in line with what I saw the in the official races.

Monster-kin are, like so many inexplicable things, the result of mad wizards. Everyone knows that when mad wizards get bored, the local ecosystem tends to suffer. Get enough reality-bending people together and soon you're up to your clavicles in flying owl-sharks and murderous eel-monkeys. As a result, no one was terribly surprised to discover that a number of mad wizards with more wands of polymorph than sense had managed to mingle their wizardly genetic material with that of any number of intelligent magical beasts. Over time, the results of these unions interbred with other humans and monsters, giving rise to complete new species.

Manticore-kin
Fluff
Manticore-kin largely resemble humans. They have wild, untamable (by humanocentric standards anyways) hair and tend to be hirsute (men have mane-like beards, women have cat-like whiskers). The most noticeable feature, and the reason why no manticore-kin can pass as a human, is their teeth. Manticore-kin have three rows of large, sharp teeth. These may jut out of their mouths at odd angles or give the manticore-kin a pronounced underbite or overbite, but no matter what they tend to give the viewer the impression that their mouths are too big for their heads. Like a shark, these teeth are constantly being replaced, and so every month or so a manticore-kin can expect to lose and regrow about 2d6 teeth. Some cultures have been known to make ornaments or charms from these teeth.

Manticore-kin are outcasts in human society in almost every world they can be found. True manticores have nothing against them personally, but see them as potential competition. As a result, a manticore-kin stopping in the territory of an adult manticore shouldn't fear being attacked or eaten outright, but will nearly always be politely, though explicitly, told to move along as soon as possible. As a result, most are loners or enjoy the company of nonjudgemental animals or other outcasts.

Like their monstrous ancestors, manticore-kin live primarily on meat. However they have inherited the tastes of their human ancestors, and prefer to eat it cooked and supplemented with spices, fruit and seafood. Manticore-kin food is actually quite savory and its not unusual for manticore-kin who forgo the adventuring life to become chefs. Very cosmopolitan cities may feature a manticore-kin restaurant and sometimes dragons or powerful giant chieftains may attempt to hire (or enslave) a particularly renowned manticore-kin chef into their services.

Most adventuring manticore-kin become fighters, rangers, barbarians or other melee classes. However other classes are not unheard of. Of particular note is the famous "Hopeless Romanticore", an anonymous manticore-kin bard whose bold, provocative poetry and songwriting is particularly popular with hip half-orc and half-elf youth.
Statistics
Abilities: +2 Str, -2 Int, +2 any one attribute (This cannot be used to boost Str to +4, but it can be used to offset the -2 penalty to Int) Manticore-kin inherit their monstrous ancestor's strength and stubborn-ness, but also the varied nature and abilities of their human blood.
Size: Medium
Movement Rate: 30'
Darkvision 60'
Natural Attacks: Bite (1d6)
Intimidating: Manticore-kin gain a +2 bonus to Intimidate
Languages: Common Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Draconic, Giant, Goblin, Gnoll, Orc
Feats
Manticore-kin can select Scent as a feat

Hair Spikes
Prerequisites: Manticore-kin
Benefit: Manticore-kin can fire a volley of sharpened, spiked hairs as a standard action. These spikes deal 1d6 damage and have a range of 180 feet. At level 1, a Manticore-kin can fire one spike, at level 3 they can fire two spikes, at level 5 they can fire four spikes, and at level 9 they can fire six spikes. These spikes can be fired at multiple targets, but all targets must be within 30 feet of each other. Firing spikes provokes an attack of opportunity. Manticore-kin can only launch 12 spikes in any 24-hour period.

Manticore Wings
Prerequisites: Manticore-kin, Level 5
Benefit: Manticore-kin grow large, leathery wings giving them a fly speed of 40 feet (clumsy). At level 7 their maneuverability increases to (poor).

Manticore Tail
Prerequisites: Manticore-kin
Benefit: Manticore-kin grows a long, sturdy tail giving them a +2 bonus to Acrobatics or Fly checks to maintain balance. If they have also selected the Hair Spikes feat, then the number of spikes they may launch in a 24-hour period is increased to 24.

Chimera-kin
Fluff
Because of the mercurial nature of chimera DNA, chimera-kin are among the most diverse looking monster-kin. Chimera-kin come in nearly every human body type imaginable. The most distinctive feature are their vestigial heads, one located on each shoulder. At first, these heads resemble simple lumps with eyes and mouth holes, but as the chimera-kin ages they may grow into a number of different forms (see Feats below).

Speaking to a chimera-kin can be a bizarre experience. They speak with three voices at once and may be looking in any number of directions while also looking at you. As a result, many people are put-off by them at first. While they perceive the world around them using every set of eyes, they still only have one brain and so the additional heads are not capable of independent thought.

Confounding expectations, chimera-kin are often very introspective and contemplative. The experience of seeing through three different sets of eyes, each with very different perceptions, is humbling for an intelligent humanoid. Therefore, lawful chimera-kin are among the least likely of all monster-kin to become chaotic in response to persecution. Perhaps because of this, chimera-kin do not enjoy the same degree of relationship with their ancestors as other monster-kin do with theirs. True chimera go out of their way to torment and harass chimera-kin they meet.

Many chimera-kin adventurers become monks or druids, choosing to refine their minds, bodies and connections to the world around them through strict discipline. Some become summoners in hopes of building a bond with another being that they can't find in the "real" world, and in general those who follow this path call upon eidolons just as varied in appearance as they are.
Statistics

Attributes: +2 Str, -2 Int, +2 any one attribute (This cannot be used to boost Str to +4, but it can be used to offset the -2 penalty to Int) Chimera-kin inherit their monstrous ancestor's strength and short attention span, but also the varied nature and abilities of their human blood.
Movement Rate: 30'
Darkvision 60'
Vestigial Heads: As long as the vestigial heads on their shoulders are uncovered, chimera-kin gain a +2 bonus to Perception but a -2 penalty to Diplomacy
Restricted Armor: In order to accommodate its extra heads, armor must be specially crafted and costs 150% of the base price.
Languages: Common, Draconic Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Giant, Goblin, Gnoll, Orc

Feats
True Chimera Head
Prerequisite: Chimera-kin
Benefit: One of the vestigial heads grows to become a full, recognizable animal head from the choices below and gains the following benefits:
{table=head] Animal Head | Breath Weapon
Lion |20' cone of fire (1d6)|
Eagle |20' line of sonic (1d6)|
Goat |20' cone of sicken (2 rounds)|
Baboon |20' cone of acid (1d6)|
Eel |20' line of electricity (1d6)|
Tiger |20' line of paralysis (1 round)|
Tapir |20' cone of sleep (1 round)|
Wolf |20' cone of cold (1d6)|
Serpent |20' cone of slow (1 round)|
[/table]
The breath weapon can be used once per day at 1st level, and 3 times per day (though at a rate of once every 1d4 rounds) at 7th level. For damage-dealing breath weapons, targets can make a Reflex save for half damage and for status-dealing breath weapons targets can make a Fortitude save to negate.
In addition, the Chimera-kin takes an additional -2 penalty to Diplomacy due to the off-putting effect that talking with an additional simultaneous voice has.
With DM's permission, the player may select a different animal head that listed here, but must select one of the listed breath weapons (ie a walrus head with a cold breath weapon or a chromatic/metallic dragon head to match a particular breath weapon), this is merely a cosmetic change.
Special: This feat can be taken one additional time (once for each vestigial head). The penalties to Diplomacy stack.

Skilled Heads
Prerequisite: Chimera-kin, True Chimera Head
Benefit: The Chimera-kin gains a skill bonus based on the type of heads they have
{table=head] Animal Head | Skill Bonus
Lion|+2 Intimidate
Eagle|+2 Perception
Goat|+2 Survival
Baboon|+2 Bluff
Eel|+2 Escape Artist
Tiger|+2 Intimidate
Tapir|+2 Survival
Wolf|+2 Intimidate
Serpent|+2 Bluff
[/table]

Empower Breath
Prerequisite: Chimera-kin, True Chimera Head
Benefit: The chimera-kin chooses one of its breath weapons to be improved. Damage-dealing breath weapons increase their damage by 1 die (ie 1d6 to 2d6) and status-dealing breath weapons last for one additional round
Special: This feat can be taken multiple times

Chimera Wings
Prerequisite: Chimera-kin, Level 5
Benefit: Chimera-kin grow large, leather wings giving them a fly speed of 40 feet (clumsy). At level 7 their maneuverability increases to (poor)

Improved Breathing
Prerequisite: Chimera-kin, True Chimera Head, Level 10
Benefit: A Chimera-kin may use a single breath weapon once every 1d4 rounds
Special: This feat may be selected twice, once for each breath weapon

Orthrus' Tail
Prerequisite: Chimera-kin, Level 7
Benefit: The Chimera-kin grows a long tail with a serpent's head on the end, gaining all-around sight.

Leucrotta-kin
Fluff
From the waist up they resemble normal humans, but with elongated, almost canine faces. From the waist down they have the powerful, hairy legs of a stag. Like true leucrottas, leucrotta-kin have sharp bone-ridges instead of teeth. Some leucrotta-kin sport the distinctive badger stripes on their faces and hair, but it is not a universal trait.

Leucrotta-kin do not inherit the innate cruelty or selfishness of the leucrotta, though with their innate abilities they often gravitate towards mischief and subterfuge. Leucrotta-kin are among the most likely of monster-kin to form communities with each other, often traveling in bands. True leucrotta are endlessly fascinated with their descendants, and many evil or chaotic leucrotta-kin may be roped into joining these monsters in their schemes.

Leucrotta-kin often become rogues or assassins, though sorcerers and bards are not uncommon either. There is only one recorded instance of a leucrotta-kin becoming a paladin, but his is an impressive resume. While technically lawful good, the legends say that he considered it his duty to challenge as part of protecting. As a result, he often confounded his superiors playing devil's advocate or questioning the traditions and regulations of his order (aways remaining one step short of dissent or insubordination of course). Because of this quality, as well as his immaculate record, he was well liked among the common people and many bards tell classic (though exaggerated) folk tales of the back-talking, quick-witted and corruption-free champion.
Statistics

Attributes: +2 Str, +2 Cha, -2 any one attribute. Leucrotta-kin inherit the strength and presence of their monstrous ancestors, but also the varied nature of their human-side.
Movement Rate: 40'
Natural Attack: Bite (1d6)
Animal Mimicry: Leucrotta-kin can perfectly mimic any animal sound they have heard before. To use this skill, leucrotta-kin make a Bluff check opposed by the listener's Sense Motive check to recognize the mimicry, although if the listener isn't familiar with the animal being mimicked, it takes a -8 penalty to its Sense Motive check. leucrotta-kin have a +8 bonus on their Bluff check to mimic animal sounds it has listened to for at least 10 minutes. It cannot duplicate the effects of magical abilities or speak to or understand animals.
Restricted Equipment: Leucrotta-kin cannot wear boots or other footwear. In theory they could wear magic or mundane horse-shoes, but no leucrotta-kin has even consented to do so due to the combination of embarrassment and pain it would result in. A leucrotta-kin wearing horseshoes suffers a -1 penalty on all attack rolls and saving throws, as well as a -6 penalty to all Charisma checks when dealing with other leucrotta-kin.
Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Giant, Goblin, Gnoll, Orc
Feats
Leucrotta Lure
Prerequisites: Leucrotta-kin, Level 5
Benefit: At any point that a leucrotta-kin's targets are unaware of it, the leucrotta-kin can call out to the targets, who must be in line of sight and within 60 feet. When the leucrotta-kin calls out, the targets must make a Will save (DC 16 + Cha bonus) or fall under the effects of a suggestion to approach the sound of the leucrotta-kin's voice. This effect functions identically to a mass suggestion spell with a caster level equal to the leucrotta-kin's character level. A creature that saves cannot be affected by the lure again for 24 hours. The lure is language-dependent, and if the leucrotta-kin uses the victim's name during the lure, the victim takes a -4 penalty on its saving throw. This is a sonic mind-affecting charm effect.

Powerful Bite
Prerequisites: Leucrotta-kin
Benefit: The Leucrotta-kin's bite attack always applies 1-1/2 times its Strength modifier on damage rolls.

Critical Bite
Benefit: The leucrotta-kin's bite attack threatens a critical hit on a roll of 19-20.

Destructive Bite
Benefit: When the leucrotta-kin bites an object, its bite treats the object as having a hardness of 5 less than the object's actual hardness rating.

Improved Mimicry
Prerequisites; Leucrotta-kin, Level 3
Benefit: The leucrotta-kin can now mimic voices the same way it can mimic animal sounds. This includes regional accents and speech patterns.

I'm particularly happy with the chimera-kin (I think they'd be fun to play) and also particularly unsure about how balanced the leucrotta-kin is. I think its innate abilities could be over-powered, so I tried to balance that out by splitting the leucrotta's powerful bite into three different feats.

jmelesky
2012-02-09, 07:02 PM
The Advanced Races Guide is coming out soon, and they have a free playtest (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8osf?Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-Advanced-Race-Guide-Playtest) available now. You may want to compare what you've come up with against the point-buy system they have there.

Not that the point-buy is likely to be balanced, but you could at least claim that your races are as balanced as Paizo wants them to be. :)

diceweasel
2012-02-09, 08:16 PM
Cool, I'm looking at their system now.

So the manticore-kin would be... Darkvision (2 points), an ability array that seems to be 0 points, a bite attack (3 points, or only 1 if the damage is reduced to 1d3) and a skill bonus (2 points) and standard languages (1 point, or 0 if I remove two bonus languages)

The chimera-kin is the same except it has a skill penalty and an armor restriction (neither are mentioned in the free playtest)

The leucrotta-kin is fast (1 point), has the bite attack (3 points), hoofed (1 point, but since they can't wear horseshoes without suffering penalties... it doesn't seem to give them any actual benefit), and an ability that has no obvious analogue in the free playtest but I would guess is at least 4 points when comparing it to what is there.

Since standard races are worth 10 points... my guys are actually a bit under the limit and less powerful than your standard human or elf before they got their special feats. I don't know if that means I should give them more stuff or if the unique feat access balances it out.

jmelesky
2012-02-09, 10:23 PM
I don't know if that means I should give them more stuff or if the unique feat access balances it out.

Given that the Core races already have some exclusive feat access, you're probably fine with adding a couple more points of race abilities here or there.

From a balance standpoint, your main goal is to make sure that no race is the only valid choice for a given class, and that no one class is the only valid choice for a given race.

Aside from that, i'd polish some of the feat mechanics. Do the special attacks provoke AoOs? What sort of action do they take? What are the save DCs for Chimara-kin breath attacks? What's the base DC for the Leucrotta lure effect (it mentions DC, and then that it's Charisma-based, but that should be split up into a base DC and "modified by the characters Charisma bonus", or similar)? Best to answer those now rather than in the middle of combat, even if you have to change them later.

diceweasel
2012-02-10, 04:37 AM
Given that the Core races already have some exclusive feat access, you're probably fine with adding a couple more points of race abilities here or there.

From a balance standpoint, your main goal is to make sure that no race is the only valid choice for a given class, and that no one class is the only valid choice for a given race.

Aside from that, i'd polish some of the feat mechanics. Do the special attacks provoke AoOs? What sort of action do they take? What are the save DCs for Chimara-kin breath attacks? What's the base DC for the Leucrotta lure effect (it mentions DC, and then that it's Charisma-based, but that should be split up into a base DC and "modified by the characters Charisma bonus", or similar)? Best to answer those now rather than in the middle of combat, even if you have to change them later.

Thanks, I changed the manticore-kin's spikes so the no provoke attacks of opportunity like standard ranged attacks, and I fixed the DC for the leucrotta-kin's lure. Do breath weapons usually provoke AoOs? Since most of these feats are designed to give the characters the powers of their monstrous ancestors, I copied many of them from their bestiary entries in the SRD.

I'll try to give them another feature or two to bring them up to the standard points level, probably skill bonuses. I don't feel like they're currently locked into any one kind of class or play style. When they're finished I want to do a sphinx-kin, and after that I'm not sure. I don't want to do weaker versions of monsters that are already humanoid, since the new Pathfinder race rules look like they make it pretty easy to play those kinds of creatures anyways. Maybe a flumph-kin.

yukigono
2012-02-11, 06:19 AM
These are really great! Are you planning on doing any more?

diceweasel
2012-02-11, 06:52 AM
These are really great! Are you planning on doing any more?

Thanks a lot. I want to do a sphinx-kin and a flumph-kin next, and then maybe some other monstrous animals like a cockatrice-kin. If you have any ideas or things you'd like to see feel free to suggest something.

yukigono
2012-02-11, 07:03 AM
Thanks a lot. I want to do a sphinx-kin and a flumph-kin next, and then maybe some other monstrous animals like a cockatrice-kin. If you have any ideas or things you'd like to see feel free to suggest something.

I would suggest a Griffin or Basilisk kin creature myself, but your ideas sound good too.

Pokonic
2012-02-11, 02:01 PM
Lammasu and/or Gorgankin would be interesting.

SpaceBadger
2012-02-11, 06:32 PM
flumph-kin next.

LOL! Is it exaggeration to say those were made by a Mad Wizard who was not just mad but crazy, insane, demented, etc? Oh, and let's not forget silly!

Nice thread, enjoyable reading.