PDA

View Full Version : Take a look at the current setup of my Macbook laptop/desktop...

Pika...
2012-02-10, 02:02 PM
Below are some pictures I just took of my precious Macbook. No longer a laptop, but a measly desktop. :smallfrown:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/IMG_20120210_134949-1.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/IMG_20120210_134939-1.jpg

Basically what happened is that the monitor cage/holder/whatever cracked and over the last month it just got worse. So yesterday it just snapped off.

Figuring waste-not-need-not, and that I am too broke for another computer right now, I rigged an external monitor I had to it (The monitor is mainly for D&D games), and carefully removed the monitor.

TheThan
2012-02-10, 04:50 PM
sorry to hear about your macbook. But its good that you've manged to salvage it somewhat. You might want to work on your setup so you don't have cables that can be tripped over (and knock over your monitor). Way to go on thinking outside the box.

Riverdance
2012-02-10, 08:13 PM
To make up for the fact that it is now a desktop you could rig it up to two or three (or more) monitors. I don't know how to do this but I have seen it done and it's awesome. I have a friend who has two monitors right next to each other. One is oriented normally and the other is on its side. He can drag a window straight off of one and onto the other as if they are one screen.

Don Julio Anejo
2012-02-11, 04:04 PM
You need an actual desktop for that, with a video card that can support two monitors. Or a laptop that can do the same thing, which is usually limited to higher end gaming rigs from Asus/Alienware. Macbooks most likely can't do that.

GolemsVoice
2012-02-11, 07:53 PM
Sorry for the broken Laptop, but kudos for being inventive :smallbiggrin:

Don't see it as the loss of your laptop, see it as the beginning of the widescreen-era!

Greenish
2012-02-11, 08:02 PM
Macbooks most likely can't do that.I've got an old Macbook Pro, and it can do that.

IsaacTheHungry
2012-02-12, 12:54 PM
The Macbook Pro's, which is what pika... has, are made for high end media creation and editing. They often have a greater need for dual monitors then gaming rigs. It can handle 2 screens (the laptop screen and the external) without a hitch. I don't think this model has two external outputs but it might be able to run them if you use a USB docking station to add the output.

Now that said, while it might run 3 screens, I doubt that it has the power to play high graphic load games on all 3, but it probably can do it with 2.