PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Heroes of the Feywild [IC]

Pages : [1] 2

Nai_Calus
2012-02-15, 07:21 AM
It's a beautiful day in the city of Serestal. All seems peaceful, the people of the city going about their business as usual. The marketplace you pass through is as ever filled with all manner of stalls selling a truly mind-boggling array of goods. Here are weapons and perfumes, food and exotic fabrics, jewelry and dreams, memories and potions; and here too are a thousand people going busily about buying and selling. Eladrin and elves, mostly, dressed in bright colors. A hundred smells linger in the air, some making you hungry, others not so much. All seems normal, at least as far as normal goes in a fey city. Except for that letter, of course. And you've learned quickly since you came here that it's rarely truly quiet in the city.

It takes a bit of doing, between the infuriatingly vague location and the mind-bogglingly strange directions, but you eventually find the ice fountain the letter mentioned near the marketplace. Now... How wide is a moonbeam? And exactly how far past the sun's zenith does Celestria plan to show up? For that matter, which direction? Fortunately you seem not to be alone in this, as several other people are walking around as well, and the fountain itself is marvelous to look at. It seems to be carved from pale blue ice that doesn't melt despite the strong summer sunlight, formed into graceful swoops and whorls, with basins at various levels that catch and allow to drain what seems to be an eternal, impossible miniature avalanche of snow. At least you won't lack something to look at, and you seem to have company. Several other people are wandering near the fountain, looking as though they're also searching for someone. Perhaps one of them knows more...

OOC:

So, this is the IC thread for the for now rather un-originally named game Heroes of the Feywild. :) Welcome!

The OOC thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12724856).

The PCs are:
Shadow_Elf - Baruk Blackhand, Half-Orc Cavalier
Servbot - Tajal, Eladrin Warlock
Condundrum - Dredge, Revenant Sorceror
Twilight Muse - Tabita, Shadar-Kai Skald
Lemonus - Sparrowhawk, Pixie Wizard
Sol - Rumble, Genasi Berserker

Shadow_Elf
2012-02-15, 08:54 AM
Baruk
The half-Orc coated head to toe in glistening rimefire plate armor which dances with hints of red and blue magic, stands with his hands on his hips glaring at the foutain. His greenish-brown hair is short cut, and his fierce eyes look like they're trying to melt the fountain with their intensity. This is why I hate this plane, sometimes. Irelia, grant me your eternal patience... he mutters, his gauntleted hand touching the rose tucked into his belt as he does so. I think I see why Gruumsh and Corellon never got along... he thinks.

Conundrum
2012-02-15, 09:03 AM
Dredge wanders around the edge of the remarkable fountain, still unsure as to why he is even there. His thoughts flit between It's good to have friends in high places and Well, I've got nothing better to do.

He casts his gaze around at the other people scattered nearby, ensuring to keep his gaze downcast and his hands in the deep pockets of his robes. Despite the eclectic mix of people in Serestral - he can see a Half-Orc, a Pixie, a Genesi and a Tiefling in the immediate vicinity - he still feels like an outcast, and hides his strange ghostly gaze and scaled hands from view.

Still, he would like to know what's going on here, and maybe these others have more of an idea than he does. He approaches the Tiefling carefully, and futilely attempts to clear his throat. His voice remains gravelly regardless, as he asks, "You're also awaiting Celestria?"

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-02-15, 09:29 AM
A beutiful woman saunters lazily on to the scene. She appears human at first, but her jarringly pale skin and orange eyes suggest otherwise. She wears a corset and a short skirt. Her unremarkable clothing, however, provides jarring contrast to her many piercings and abstract tattoos. A bow is slung across the newcomer's back, and there is a dagger at her side.

"Hello," she says, in a deep, rich voice that is a joy to listen to. "And what brings you here?"

Servbot
2012-02-15, 09:37 AM
Tajal

The Warlock sighs, staring up at the sky. A sunny day, of course. Not a hint of a moonbeam. A terribly inaccurate measure, in any case: how many moonbeams would possibly have the same width, and what instrument would one use to measure them?

Tajal never was a fan of vague and poorly explained directions. What ever possessed him to follow this lead? Oh, right... it may be that she knows more of the far realm and its denizens, the eladrin reminds himself.

More people here, too. Don't look like natives to Serestal. Look pretty lost to boot. Or too cheerful.

Tajal sighs again; more victims of poorly instructed meetings, perhaps? Maybe the Lady Celestria enjoyed calling in multiple people. Never a good sign in a contractor to call in multiple people who've scarce met.

"I suppose if anything," he mumbles, crumpling up the paper, "I now know how to navigate these streets."

Although... which way was back, again?

Sol
2012-02-15, 02:40 PM
Rumble, (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=370504)Earthsoul Genasi Berserker

A slight woman approaches, leaving behind her both a trail of muddy footprints and a fine mist of what might be sand trailing off of her shoulders. At first glance you pay her no notice, thinking perhaps she's some poor homeless sot covered in filth. When she opens her mouth to speak, however, the truth becomes immediately clear.

With a deep rumble and an unexpected echo, the words hit your ears only after bouncing back off of nearby buildings. "Might a moonbeam's width be a measurement of time, rather than of space?" she wonders aloud, before realizing that there's several other people staring pensively at the fountain, and, now, at her.

"Oh, sorry, a mountain forgets it speaks aloud. Hello. You may call me Rumble, if you ever have reason to call me anything. Are all of those bits of paper summons here from Celestria?"

Conundrum
2012-02-15, 02:52 PM
"Curiosity, more than anything," Dredge answers, opting for the easier response. He takes in the motley assortment of people and wonders what this Celestria could possibly want from such a disparate group. "But let me guess - you're here for the 'handsome reward'?"

Lemonus
2012-02-15, 09:14 PM
A small pixie flits into the fountain area, buzzing around excitedly. His shoulder-long hair is a bright pink, and he wears robes made out of what appear to be leaves. He holds a small piece of paper, and is muttering to himself. "How long is moonbeam? Would it be the width of the moon? But what if the moon isn't full? What direction from the fountain should I go?" Looking up, he notices the other people gathered there. "Oh, hello! Are you here for the job as well? Has anyone figured out how long a moonbeam is? And why would we need to be exactly three moonbeams from the fountain? How would we all fit in there anyway?"

Shadow_Elf
2012-02-16, 01:59 PM
Baruk
Perhaps the moonbeam is metaphorically significant... mumbles the half-Orc, deep in thought. He seems to largely ignore the others, at least for the time being.

History Check: [roll0] for moonbeam width significance.

With an encounter power, I can substitute history for any knowledge check, if something else would be more appropriate.

Nai_Calus
2012-02-16, 07:46 PM
As you mill about talking to the others present, a woman suddenly makes her presence known. The Eladrin frequently have a flair for the dramatic, but even by their standards it's disconcerting when she appears in a small burst of cutting, icy wind and swirling snow.

"No, no, I said three moonbeam widths, not two..." She laughs suddenly. "Ahh, forgive me, I always forget that our manner of giving directions makes little sense to outsiders!" She smiles warmly. She's an average height for an Eladrin, with golden hair, tanned skin and violet eyes that mark her as being from among the Summer fey, though the snow falling lightly about her and the chill air that clings to her make it obvious she has some sort of connection to the Winter fey. She's dressed in the flowing, silvery robes of a priestess of Sehanine, and looks about somewhat furtively, then seems satisfied that no one else is in the immediate vicinity.

"You are no doubt wondering why I have called the six of you here." She sighs. "Alas, it is something that can only be attended to by outsiders." She frowns.

"Recently, children have begun to disappear. Only a few so far, but all in more or less the same way. The Council of course has been looking into the matter, but we've been able to find little, and I have noticed something... Rather disturbing. It seems our investigations are being tampered with from within, perhaps by someone within the Council itself. Whomever is behind it certainly seems to know our movements, so they must have some sort of inside source." She frowns.

"That's where the six of you come in. You're strangers with no affiliation with the council. Adventurers are always passing through this city, due to its bridging of the mortal world and the Feywild. I've heard of your past exploits, and believe that the six of you are suited to investigate this. The council never employs outsiders, so it's unlikely you'll be linked to me, and I certainly don't plan to mention hiring you. Hopefully these factors will enable you to find out more than we have." Her face twists into an expression of sadness and the air chills further.

"And if anyone asks why you're investigating missing children... You can simply tell them that one of the parents of the missing children asked you for help. Three nights ago my son vanished. I ask your help not just for the city, but... Also for myself." The snow falling around her worsens and she looks at you hopefully.

"Will you help me? I'll tell you all I can..."

Servbot
2012-02-16, 08:15 PM
Tajal

At the other's appearance, the Warlock perks up: he is obviously more at ease now that the unknown employer has arrived, and listens to her (somewhat long) tale in quiet deference. The fact she's heard of his past exploits puts Tajal on guard, but in spite of this she sought him out, so... she cannot have heard anything ill.

All together a good thing, he thinks to himself, because I do not fancy too many explanations.

"I should think myself a terrible person for this," Tajal starts, "but I cannot help but wonder the... unifying thread, if you will. Here we are, people of different walks of life and," he gestures to the racial diversity present, "likely different schools of thought.

"You see in us a group of people who will set about unveiling this mystery, and I see in us a ragtag group of different people, no offence." He falls quiet at this and looks to the lady expectingly.

There is no doubt that he should assist: having someone on the Council owe him would be a great boon if he were to find out the location of that legendary arcanist... navigating the city has been maddening and frustrating enough, and no clues ever left lips without money leaving his pouch.

And Tajal felt money was a great deal scarcer to come by in Serestal, what with the continuous stream of would-be heroes, eager to prove their mettle.

Lemonus
2012-02-16, 08:41 PM
After hearing the news of the missing children, Sparrowhwk gasps. "The poor children! Who would dare get in the way of stopping something like that? Of course we'll help find them!" He then turns to Tajal "I'm sure we can work together just fine! I'm Sparrowhawk! What's your name?" He says, extending a tiny hand towards the Warlock.

Shadow_Elf
2012-02-16, 09:56 PM
Baruk
With any luck, using his knowledge of Eladrin standards of measurement, Baruk is right next to the spot where their host appears. After her intro, Baruk nods. The Old One gave of himself for children; I can only hope to do the same. Milady, my lance is yours in this; before I am through, my blade shall taste the blood of this horrendous criminal, he vows, inclining his head to their would-be employer. He turns to his companions. I am Baruk Blackhand, last of the Blackhand clan and scholar of the Dawn War. I look forward to working with any of you who would assume this noble quest.

Sol
2012-02-17, 02:17 AM
Rumble, (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=370504) Earthsoul Genasi Berserker

Rumble shakes her head at the news, and the snow which had accumulated on her hood and shoulders slides down her figure in a manner surprisingly akin to an avalanche. "Goodness, m'Lady, I have not had such a chill in many Winters. I know little of the bonds between a mother and her child, but I know well enough the pain of loss."

"I know not how I will be of service, but I pledge my services to you nonetheless." With this, Rumble kneels and holds her hands before her. With a sudden swirl of wind, the snow around her takes to the air, whirling around and between her hands, obscuring them for no more than a blink of an eye. When the flurry fades, where seconds before there was only empty air, Rumble now holds a large, formidable ice pick, which appears to have been itself carved out of ice. She gently places it on the ground and looks up at Celestria for further instructions.

Conundrum
2012-02-17, 03:01 AM
Yes, friends in high places, Dredge decides, trying to ignore the chilling realisation that he feels no empathy for this mother or her children.

"Call me Dredge," he says roughly to those assembled. "I would be glad to lend my assistance, though I would ask if the council's investigations have dug up any leads worth pursuing?"

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-02-17, 12:10 PM
"I know all to well the pain of losing a family member. I will, of course, help you - for modest compensation."

Servbot
2012-02-17, 12:13 PM
Tajal

With a shake of his head, the Warlock relents.

"A band with unified goals after all," he says with a laugh, and then continues to the pixie, "I am Tajal. Rather than worry over our capability to work together, I was concerned for a reason to work together, but..." he lifts his hands a bit helplessly, "in this I am proven wrong."

Nai_Calus
2012-02-18, 03:59 AM
Celestria relaxes slightly in relief, the snowstorm abating somewhat. A smile returns to her face.

"I am glad that you're all willing to help. And yes, of course you'll be compensated for your time and effort. And perhaps you're an odd lot, but then I am highly abnormal myself." She gestures to the golden hair that contrasts so oddly with the snow falling about herself. "Not always a bad trait, abnormality..." She crosses to the fountain and sits on its edge. "For example, you'd think a fountain near a marketplace would be a bad place to meet in secret, but this fountain was created long ago by the Prince of Frost, before he became quite as... Unfriendly... as he is today. A thing of great beauty, but because so many have come to fear the winter, this place is shunned. Few ever come here." She sighs wistfully. "Caelin loved this place..." A tear falls down her cheek, freezing on the way, before shattering on the pavement. She looks up at you suddenly.

"It's always at night. Usually outside, but a couple have been inside as well. One moment they're there, and the next..." She pales. "I only looked away for a moment, and he was gone... Obviously some kind of teleportation magic is in use." She sighs. "For what it's worth, all the missing children so far have been Eladrin. No particular season, so it doesn't seem to be motivated by those particular rivalries among the fey. All fairly young." She sighs.

"We've found very few leads, and what we have found has been stymied by the interference I suspect from within. Some on the council have suspected the Drow; while they're tolerated here to an extent, and most who live here are of a kindly nature, there are certainly some near here who are quite the opposite of that. They don't usually teleport, though. There's been a higher than normal amount of criminal activity, but we haven't been able to tell if it's coincidental or part of this. Mostly an increased trade in cold iron and items made out of it. Such things are obviously not well-loved among the fey, and mostly sold on the black market here. Someone's been tipping off the criminals, though, and they've evaded our attempts at raids. Still, I can tell you where we last knew them to be operating." She frowns. "There's also been an increase in activity among the Formorians and Goblin tribes, but that seems to be less related. And it may be something else entirely, for all we know. I'm afraid it's not much to go on. That's why I need help. The Council has managed to accomplish nothing, and if we truly are compromised..."

"I'm sure you still have many questions for me. Please, anything you need to know, ask it and I'll do my best to answer."

Conundrum
2012-02-18, 09:56 AM
Dredge ponders the situation carefully before responding. "Without seeing the teleportation spell performed, it would be difficult to find out anything about its nature or source. So, unless we have some way to predict the next victim, it sounds to me like our best bet will be to investigate the possibility that the criminal activity is related." He pauses, then shakes his head. "As unlikely as it may be, we don't have much else to go on."

Servbot
2012-02-18, 10:18 AM
Tajal

After again listening quietly, Tajal says, "You've talked about the differences between the kidnapped children, but are there any similarities?"

The eladrin visibly hesitates, and decides against speaking up any further.

Sol
2012-02-18, 12:46 PM
Rumble, (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=370504) Earthsoul Genasi Berserker

Rumble ponders carefully before tilting her head to one side and speaking. As before, the words leave her mouth as no more than a deep rumbling noise, but the echo which bounces back from ground is crystal clear.

"Please excuse me in advance, m'lady, for I know I ask something quite rude. The children gone missing have all been Eladrin?"

"Could they just be bad at Fey Stepping? I've heard tales of Eladrin children finding themselves stuck in the mortal realm and unable to Step home, or worse, landing inside walls."

"I mean it as no insult to your Son, of course. Have you noticed any interference when teleporting yourself, lately?"

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-02-18, 04:13 PM
Tabita, Shadar-Kai Skald

"Perhaps some external force is interfering with their teleportation."

Shadow_Elf
2012-02-18, 04:50 PM
Baruk
Or... The kidnappers are Eladrin themselves, and are using their Fey Step ability to snatch the children instantaneously. To me, this would be the most sensible explanation, says the half-Orc warrior after some thought. This plane is heavily invested with arcane magic; there are literally countless ways these kidnappings could be conducted, so I believe we should pursue more tangible leads.

Lemonus
2012-02-18, 05:30 PM
"Maybe someone's turning the kids invisible, and then kidnapping them?"

Servbot
2012-02-18, 05:34 PM
Tajal

The Warlock facepalms at the pixie's suggestion. "How, pray tell, would it help anyone to first turn a target invisible and then kidnap them?"

Lemonus
2012-02-18, 06:23 PM
"Well, if someone turned themselves invisible, they wouldn't be noticed, and if the turn their target invisible, the no one would notice them moving towards a door or something. Of course, you'd also have to cast a silence spell on the person you're taking."

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-02-18, 07:04 PM
Tabita, Shadar-Kai Skald

"What we really need is bait. One of us could magically transform ourselves into an eladrin child."

Shadow_Elf
2012-02-18, 09:11 PM
Baruk
Lady Celestria has already stated that there seems to be no discernible pattern to the disappearances. Even if we were to disguise one of our own as a child, how would that help? That would be no insurance whatsoever that a kidnapping would be attempted. Magic is not always the answer to magic; I say we look at the criminals that have been evading the Council's efforts and see if we can draw a link. That is our firmest lead.

As he says this, his mind is on other things. Have the denizens of this plane never heard of practicality? Of logic? Irelia, my heart, I do not know how you live in such a place...

Nai_Calus
2012-02-19, 02:43 AM
Celestria nods, interrupting.

"Pursuing the criminals behind that activity was the council's main plan as well. I do not know if that bodes good or ill for it, but." She sighs, a bemused expression on her face as she looks at Rumble.

"Caelin wasn't 'bad' at it, no. I realize non-Eladrin aren't familiar with it. But it's not something we generally need to learn, really. It's just... Part of us. We can do it from our earliest childhood without thinking. I've heard occasionally of those with blood from other races who can't do it innately and had to learn, or never managed at all, but Caelin and all the other missing children are pure-blooded Eladrin." She sighs. "Further, it wouldn't be possible to be trapped on the other side here. Serestal lies fully in both worlds, the veil between the Feywild and Mortal world is so thin here as to basically not exist. Both sides can be seen, so even if he'd transitioned to the material plane I still would have been able to see him, it only really matters what plane you're in when you leave, and even then it's simplicity itself to make the change in the city. And I've noticed no interference in my own teleporting, no..." She looks at Tajal.

"There are similarities, yes. They've all been about the same age, twelve. All at night, as I've said, and all of the parents reported that they had simply looked away for a moment." She frowns. "I suppose it's possible that they're using a silence or invisibility spell, but more likely that yes, they are teleporting in, grabbing the children, and teleporting out, escaping before they can make noise. Some Eladrin are so adept at teleporting they can take others with them, and while we can only do it every few minutes innately, an invisible one could hide, or have learned magical methods of doing it, true." She taps her fingers on her cheek in thought. "That's why we were looking at the criminal activity, actually. Cold iron can keep Eladrin from teleporting suitably applied, otherwise the children could have just teleported away from their captors." She stops suddenly.

"Oh. Oh. I just thought of something." She rifles through her robes and comes up with a list. "These are the names of the missing children and their parents." She hands it to Baruk, who's closest. "It's... All the children missing come from parents of mismatched seasons, and in one case a mismatched race. Caelin's father was a Winter Eladrin. I may be a Ghaele of Winter, but I'm of Summer descent. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but... Well, it wouldn't be the first time someone's objected to 'impurity' in Eladrin bloodlines. Or perhaps they like that in them. I can't say." She waits while you look at the list. "Is there anything else I can help with?"

The list:

Erelia Taelis - 12 Parents: Cernial and Termien Location: Lower Ward.
Tareth Nethal - 12 Parents: Maerthil and Vaelith Location: Upper Ward
Thraelin Nelarin - 13 Parents: Saresha and Eneril Location: Temple Ward
Veldrin Vareth - 12 Parents: Rynthel and Aledria Location: Western Ward
Celenden Theleril - 12 Parents: Celendrien and Saerthen Location: Upper Ward
Caelin Velthrin - 12 Parents: Celestria and - Location: Temple Ward

Shadow_Elf
2012-02-19, 10:01 AM
Baruk
I would like to know as much as I can before we proceed. Do you know which seasons each child was a mixture of? If there is a pattern there, we may be able to manipulate it. Also, have you any solid leads we can use to begin investigating the elevated crime rate? Baruk clearly wants to get started investigating these disappearances, but he is suppressing his impatience rather admirably.

Conundrum
2012-02-19, 05:02 PM
Dredge

Dredge reads the list carefully, trying to discern a pattern. When he reaches the bottom, he looks up at Celestria, trying not to narrow his eyes suspiciously. "Why is Caelin's father's name not listed here?"

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-02-19, 05:05 PM
Tabita, Shadar-Kai Skald

"What can you tell us about the criminal underground of the city. I'm afraid I've been away for a while ..."

Nai_Calus
2012-02-19, 06:29 PM
At the mention of her son's father, Celestria's manner turns cold and the snow around her intensifies, a sharp freezing wind cutting at you.

"That is of no importance, and he does not live here anyway. It is useless to mention him. You already know the only salient fact about the man, and the less said about him the better." She calms herself forcibly, a rather forced-looking smile crossing her face.

"Now!" She claps her hands together. "I haven't really noticed a pattern to the pairings, and I've only met some of these people once so I honestly don't remember some of them that well. Veldrin on here was the son of a drow and a summer, if that helps. But I'm afraid I just don't know about that." She frowns. "The criminal activity, that I do know a bit more about. It was about a month ago, a couple of weeks before the kidnappings started. We started getting reports from our contacts that there'd been an upswing in requests for cold iron, specifically shackles... If the two are related, it could be that whoever is taking the children is using those horrid things to keep them from escaping. They'll keep an Eladrin from teleporting, after all. Well, none of the fey races are fond of such horrid things." She frowns.

"I last knew them to be operating near the docks, but they'd cleared out... We think it's just the one group. There are several in the city, of course, but only one seems involved in this. Kerazt Vareth might be able to get you in touch with someone. One of the missing children is his nephew, so he's got reason to be concerned, and he's rather well acquainted with the more... Shadowy aspects of things. He's a high priest of that awful Vhaeraun, though, so be careful. Kerazt isn't particularly evil that we know of, but he's a drow, and not like most of the ones here. If you can put up with his foulness, he'll probably know someone who knows someone. The usual ridiculous nonsense of that sort."

Sol
2012-02-20, 12:49 AM
Rumble, (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=370504)Earthsoul Genasi Berserker

Thank you for the leads, m'lady. What of the Formorians? What part might they play in this? Those wretched things hollowed me out once, and I'd like to do the same to them one day.

Nai_Calus
2012-02-20, 10:12 PM
"The Formorians are ever against us, as I'm sure you know, but recently they've become more bold. They've yet to move against the city, but they seem to be consolidating their strength and preparing for something, according to reports we've had from our spies in the Feydark." She frowns.

"I don't know if it's related, but I certainly wouldn't put it past those monsters to kidnap Eladrin children. Then again there's several groups I wouldn't put it past." She sighs.

"I would appreciate it if you would attempt to keep all of this... Somewhat quiet. Certainly don't let on that you're working for me if possible, but try to be subtle in your investigations. I don't want panic to break out... Now, is there anything else I can do for you? I need to return to my duties." She reaches into a pouch and quickly scribes down some directions that prove slightly less infuriating than the ones that brought you here that will help you find Kerazt and the families of the missing children.

"I thank you for your willingness to assist in this matter. If you need my help, use this." She hands you an envelope with a piece of the same strange ice paper as the original letters. "Write what the situation is and seal the envelope, and this will be teleported to me. I'll answer as soon as I can." She looks distraught.

"Please... Caelin is all I have. Please find him. And the others as well." Barring any last minute questions, she takes her leave in another swirl of snow and frigid air.

[OOC: Feel free to ask any last minute questions.]

Sol
2012-02-21, 07:13 PM

After the Eladrin vanishes, Rumble shivers, wondering if the time of her revenge has come already, sooner than she had dared to hope. At last, she sighs, shakes her head slightly, and stands up. "Oh yes, I almost forgot," she says, reaching back down for the Frozen pick. Pondering it for a moment, she decides there's little use for such a weapon at the present. Rumble tilts her head back, opens her maw wider than you would have thought possible, and drops the pick down her throat.

After straightening her head and clearing her throat, Rumble regards the rest of you. "Seems to me this Drow Kerazt is our best lead. My, that's quite cold; I've never done that with Ice before. Very refreshing! You must try it sometime."

Conundrum
2012-02-21, 08:19 PM
Dredge

"I agree that we should talk to Kerazt, but I also think it's suspicious that Celestria would refuse to tell us who her son's father is. Even if he does not live here, perhaps we should attempt to track him down."

Lemonus
2012-02-21, 08:33 PM
After seeing Rumble drop the pick down her throat, Spartowhawk gasps. "Whoa! That was so cool! How did you do that? Where did it go? What else do you have in there?" He asks, buzzing around Rumble's head.

Sol
2012-02-21, 08:45 PM

"Dirt, mostly, sand and stone. Why? What do you have inside of you?," Rumble lets out a strange noise which must be a giggle.

"Come, little one, let us find Kerazt, or search for the boy's father; there are more pressing questions to be asked."

Servbot
2012-02-21, 10:04 PM
Tajal

Tajal frowns, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "I don't see much value in tracking down this lady's husband," he says after a while. "Were he responsible or connected, no doubt she'd have tracked him down already. I doubt Asmodeus could match the fury of a woman's scorn."

The eladrin eyes Dredge. "Regardless of how suspicious you may find it, it strikes me as a family problem rather than one connected to the disappearance of eladrin children."

He opens his mouth to say more, but decides against commenting on the... earthy lady's rather baffling appetite. Once one has seen a man conjure eight steeds out of nowhere and hide a large saddle in a small pouch, very little tends to surprise one.

"In light of this, I propose we find Kerazt first, and extort whatever information we can from him."

Lemonus
2012-02-21, 10:08 PM
"I don't know what I have inside of me. Maybe I should turn my skin invisible, to find out."

Shadow_Elf
2012-02-22, 12:08 AM
Baruk
Yes. Let us visit this priest of Vhaerun and see what he knows of his nephew's whereabouts. Making mental notes of the directions, Baruk immediately sets off in the necessary direction. He gently touches the rose tucked into his belt. How long will it take me to go mad with companions like these? laments the paladin internally.

Conundrum
2012-02-22, 07:23 AM
Dredge

Dredge sighs inwardly at the easily-distracted pixie. No doubt he would have found the irrepressible creature endearing once upon a time, but now the inanity simply got on his nerves.

When Baruk sets off, he immediately follows, eager to get on with it. "Yes, I agree that the priest is our best lead."

Nai_Calus
2012-02-22, 10:27 PM
The directions take you, after a minor bit of confusion, to the very edge of the city, past sweeping marble towers that spiral towards the sky, houses grown of living trees, crystal mansions and all manner of exotic, artistic architecture reflecting the love of the native elves and eladrin for beautiful things.

In contrast, the area you find yourself in is almost grimly utilitarian. Even here there's a careful cultivation of beauty, but it's a stark, harsh beauty, in far darker tones. In the center stands a small temple built of obsidian and black marble. Around the grounds are scattered several drow, all but one males dressed in black and wearing black half-masks that cover the upper halves of their faces. One of these consoles the only contrasting member of the scene, a weeping drow male dressed in clothing more typical of eladrin style. The pair are seated on a bench just outside the temple entrance.

As you approach, the outlying drow eye you warily, but make no hostile movements. You overhear the remaining two talking as you approach the bench.

"How could Corellon have let this happen, Kerazt? How?" The masked drow grimaces at the mention of the fey god, but pats the other man's shoulder comfortingly.

"You know the gods tend not to interfere directly in the affairs of mortals. If they prevented all harm from happening to us, it would strip us of our free will and leave us weakened, lesser beings forever unable to reach our potential." He looks up as he notices your approach.

"An odd lot, to seek out the temple of the Masked Lord. Not a drow among you. Let me guess, you're here to hassle us about whatever criminal activity we're being blamed for this time." He stands and crosses his arms in a gesture that clearly asks you to get on with it and stop wasting his time.

Servbot
2012-02-23, 09:50 PM
Tajal

"As a matter of fact," Tajal starts, but he quickly decides that it may not be a good idea to agree with the man. He looks over at his newfound allies for a moment, then back to what he presumes to be Kerazt.

"Not quite. We're here on business to investigate a matter. I presume you are lord Kerazt Vareth?" He tries to smile disarmingly, best as he can, while being mindful of being respectful... even if he is consorting with a drow.

Shadow_Elf
2012-02-23, 11:25 PM
Baruk
Recalling what knowledge he can of Vhaerunite worship, Baruk attempts a typical Vhaerunite greeting. May eyes turn blind the path you step, Masked One. As my companion has indicated, we are investigating something. Specifically, an increase in the trade of cold iron and other illicit materials; trade the Council has utterly failed to stamp out. We were hoping you might know someone who would know more, or perhaps who would know who would know more, explains the paladin, trying not to get turned around as he speaks in the fey style.

Nai_Calus
2012-02-24, 08:40 AM
Kerazt chuckles.

"And may shadow cloak your deeds," he responds, clearly amused by Baruk. He shrugs mildly at Tajal.

"Kerazt Vareth, yes. As a matter of fact, I've got nothing to do with that. Actually, I've been trying to find it out myself. Trust me, I know all about the failings of the Council, I'm on it. That lot of poofy fairies couldn't figure anything out."

"I haven't found out exactly who's buying the cold iron yet, but I know who's selling it. Group of low-lifes under some jerk from Mithrendain." He frowns. "None of us has been able to get close to them, but maybe you guys can. Obviously we're pretty well known... Perhaps you can get in with them and force it out of them?" He shoots a look back at the other drow still seated on the bench.

"Look. This is... It's personal for me, OK? Don't tell anyone this, but there have been disappearances lately. See him? That's my brother. His son's gone missing, and I've got a bad feeling the two things are related somehow. Veldrin's my nephew, and we're close, and if I find the miserable bastards responsible for this I'll rip their hearts from their chests with my bare hands if I have to." He shudders with barely contained emotion. "The gang hangs out a tavern called Autumn's Fury. You find them, you figure out what the hells is going on, and you let me know so I can... Deal with it. Or deal with it yourselves. But I've got to find Veldrin. And whoever took him has to pay." He glares at you from behind his mask, waiting for a response.

Conundrum
2012-02-24, 09:27 AM
Dredge

Dredge steps forward and removes his hood. "Thank you for the information. You have been very helpful," he says politely. "Perhaps we can infiltrate their organisation, rather than immediately resorting to violence. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Is there anything else you can tell us about this gang? Size, racial make-up, other criminal activities they might engage in?"

Sol
2012-02-25, 02:24 AM

"And if you have any information regarding the missing children - such as a list of the parents, we would be much obliged. The information we received from our employer was....incomplete."

Rumble hesitates for a moment, and then adds, "I'm sure your eyes in the dark are aware that the Fomorians are preparing for something. Do you think this is all related, somehow?" As she speaks of the malformed Giants below, Rumble's eyes glow momentarily, before she regains control over her fury.

Nai_Calus
2012-02-25, 02:58 PM
A white eyebrow rises above the top of Kerazt's mask.

"You think we haven't tried infiltration? Somehow they figured us out. Which is mad, even for the Feywild, since technically we're a bunch of criminals as well. Vhaeraun's a god of thieves after all, and we're drow at that. Honestly... I think someone on the council has turned stag. And no, it's not me. I'd never do anything to hurt my brother, and especially not Veldrin." He sighs.

"Yeah, the Bloodied Leaves. They're a bunch of Eladrin, mostly. Got some half-orc muscle, couple gnomes for stealth missions. Led by some jerk out of Mithrendain. Some wanna-be big crime lord sucking up to the real big crime lord over there. There's about fifty of them. Mostly they work in smuggling, a bit of burglary. Not as good at thievery as us, of course, but." He strokes his chin thoughtfully. He narrows his eyes at Rumble's questions.

"Ah, that's what it's really about. I can make you a list, sure. Might help to ask some of them." He grabs some paper and a pen and quickly writes down a list that proves to match the one you got from Celestria. He sees the question before it's asked.

"You've got a better chance of getting that kid's father's name from the Prince of Frost than you do from Celestria. Nobody knows. She's a priestess of Sehanine, kind of ditzy. Summer Eladrin, but she visited the winter lands a while back and came home pregnant and somehow she became a winter noble while she was there too. Won't talk about any of it. Best not to ask her." He frowns.

"The Formorians, yeah, they've been more active lately. Not sure it's them though. It seems to be mostly just their usual warmongering. It'll be a problem, certainly, I'm just not sure it's this problem." He sighs. "You might try talking to my brother while you're here anyway, but... Be gentle, ok? This is hard for him."

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-02-25, 11:06 PM
Tabita, Shadar-Kai Skald

The young woman steps forward. "Good sir, do you know where, exactly, one could find the fomorians?"

Nai_Calus
2012-02-26, 12:21 AM
"I wouldn't know they're up to something if I didn't," Kerazt says, shrugging. "Unfortunately, the extent of their presence in the Feydark near here has grown quite a bit. It'd only take a day or two to get there from here now." He sighs. "I don't know that I'd go spoiling for a fight with them, but if you want to go see if you can observe what they're up to for yourselves, I can have one of our scouts show you the way."

Shadow_Elf
2012-02-26, 03:14 AM
Baruk
At the mention of half-orc muscle, Baruk grimaces. Mithrendain is not a city fond of orc blood. That many of my fellow half-orcs turned to lives of crime to make do saddens me. His facial expressions show deep thought as he mulls something over. On top of that, their seedy reputation did naught but ill for my own name in Mithrendain...

He turns to the weeping drow sitting next to Kerazt. Sir Vareth, I know this is difficult, but can you remember anything from the time when your son was taken? Any information you can recall would be helpful.

Nai:
Is this the same Rynthel (years later, of course) that you play in Tomb of Horrors? If so, might his psionic powers have helped him note something during the kidnapping other parents would have missed? :smalltongue:

Nai_Calus
2012-02-26, 03:49 PM
Is this the same Rynthel (years later, of course) that you play in Tomb of Horrors? If so, might his psionic powers have helped him note something during the kidnapping other parents would have missed? :smalltongue:

OOC:

It's actually mostly a case of 'All these names are starting to sound alike and I'm going crazy making them up, time to reuse some old names' and then forgetting that oh yeah, one of the players is in the game Rynthel's in'. XD

Rynthel looks up at Baruk, his eyes haunted.

"It happened so fast..." He sighs. "Veldrin and I were playing in the gardens, practicing swordfighting. He's good at it, much better than I am. I'm so proud of him..." He trails off for a second, tears streaming down his face as he shakes, staring blankly at his clasped hands. The man's despair hangs about him in the air, an almost tangible thing. "He'd disarmed me, and I went to retrieve my weapon. Then suddenly I felt a feeling of shock from him, and turned around, but it was already too late. Someone had him, then disappeared with him, and then I couldn't feel him at all..." He trails off again. "I didn't even see what they looked like. It happened so fast..." The man droops momentarily before suddenly springing up, grabbing the front of your outfit. "You have to find him. For the love of the gods, find my son. Please." He collapses onto the bench again, weeping. Kerazt quickly runs over to comfort him, pulling him close and stroking his hair comfortingly while looking back at you. Even behind his mask you can tell Kerazt is nearly as upset about things as his brother is.

"You can see why I'm willing to help strangers so readily. The more people trying to do something about this, the better."

Shadow_Elf
2012-02-26, 03:59 PM
Baruk
I swear on my oath as a knight and on the gods whose banners I bear that I shall do all that is in my power to return your son to you, Sir Vareth, replies the half-orc, nodding approvingly to the priest of Vhaerun as he tries to console his brother. Baruk then turns to his companions. I would investigate the Mithrendanni smugglers as our next lead; if I get the chance to knock some sense into a few fellow half-orcs, all the better.

Conundrum
2012-02-26, 04:34 PM
Dredge

Dredge stands back and listens quietly, again noting only distantly the parent's pain at the loss of their child. What's wrong with me? he wonders.

Baruk's statement shakes him from his reverie. "I agree. If the Fomorians are involved, we're more likely to find out how by investigating the more obvious lead. I also don't think we're likely to find out much more by talking to other parents - we could waste a lot of time only to find that noone saw anything more than Rynthel here."

Servbot
2012-02-26, 04:44 PM
Tajal

The eladrin, after his quiet observation, finally speaks up. "I'm not so sure we should decide this all too hastily," he mentions quietly. "This business becomes more convoluted by the hour. We have Fomorians amassing, eladrin criminals and council saboteurs all rolled into one, and I'm not sure of it that any are related. For now, though, I'd like to investigate those eladrin."

He quickly adds, "A criminal band with people who can teleport seems a likely and obvious lead, to be sure, but I think it's a fair chance we'll find our criminals there."

The Warlock does wonder at these Fomorians. If an attack were pending, that'd be disastrous, but the need for kidnapped eladrin children escapes him in such an event.

Nai_Calus
2012-02-28, 11:55 PM
Kerazt gives you directions to the tavern the Bloodied Leaves hang out at. The directions prove to be accurate and straight-forward, and you quickly arrive outside. The tavern building consists of a large tree that despite the season is showing fall colors, the branches woven expertly together to create walls. A sign proclaims it to be the Autumn's Fury, and a staircase spirals around the tree up to a platform 20 feet off the ground. The sounds of music and a good time drift from within, and the smell of food and ale scents the air.

What do you do?

Conundrum
2012-02-29, 07:50 PM
Dredge

Dredge proceeds immediately up the staircase and into the tavern. Once inside, he attempts to identify the members of The Bloodied Leaves, and positions himself close enough to them to eavesdrop on whatever conversation they might be having.

[roll0] Streetwise to figure out who the gang members are? Not sure how well they've been described to us.

Nai_Calus
2012-03-01, 03:45 AM
@Dredge:

As you enter the tavern, the half-orc bouncer at the door looks you over and shrugs. The inside is actually rather brightly lit through magical means that cast everything in the flaming hues of autumn, illuminating tables that seem to be composed of frozen arrangements of blowing leaves occupied by an assortment of eladrin, elves, gnomes and a couple half-orcs. A few heads turn at the unusual visitor, but mostly you're met by shrugs. You can't immediately identify most of the inhabitants, but it's obvious from the blood-red accents on the clothing of most of them who the gang members are. You catch a flash of a face that looks immediately familiar as an eladrin man who'd been talking at one of the tables stands and leaves, but you don't see it well enough to fully associate it. The person he'd been talking to, an eladrin woman in completely red clothing, black hair and an eyepatch over her left eye, stands and walks over to you. A couple of the half-orcs move hands near their swords and keep a close eye out.

"Well, aren't you an interesting piece of work. And what would one such as you be doing in the lair of the Bloodied Leaves?"

Conundrum
2012-03-01, 04:53 AM
Dredge

Letting the 'piece of work' comment slide, Dredge calmly turns his ghostly eyes on the eladrin and nods politely. "Simply here for a drink, ma'am," he says, turning away slightly and giving a small wave to get the bartender's attention before continuing. "Who are the Bloodied Leaves? I hope I'm not intruding..."

Bluff: [roll0]
I'll buy a drink from the bartender too.

Servbot
2012-03-01, 05:48 AM
Tajal

The Warlock does not even bother to hide his thoughts on Dredge's entry, and unceremoniously brings his palm to his face.

"Suppose we should set about following him..." the eladrin mentions to the rest of the party, but he makes no movement to actually do any following of anyone, content to stay outside for the moment.

Nai_Calus
2012-03-01, 08:09 PM
Dredge:

The woman arches an eyebrow and gives you a disarming smile.

"My, you must be new around here, to have never heard of Salera Cernith and the Bloodied Leaves! Why, we're a charity organization. We help the poor and downtrodden to better themselves. Here, come sit with me and I'll tell you all about our work." She leads you to a table and leans across, her voice dropping dangerously.

"Let's cut to the chase, whoever you are. You know full well who we are and you aren't here for a drink." She crosses her legs and leans back in her chair languidly, one finger idly twirling a lock of her hair.. "But it's rude to assume beyond that. So, why are you really here? Business? These meddling imbeciles from the Council again? I do so hope it's the former. Despite our name, bloodstains are so hard to get out of the wood." Her smile takes on a predatory look.

Everyone else:

As you look up at the entrance, you notice the bouncer by the door take a sudden interest in affairs inside.

Sol
2012-03-03, 02:08 AM

Wondering what's distracting the bouncers, and worried about her new friend's safety, Rumble makes her way up the spiral stairs and into the tavern.

Nai_Calus
2012-03-03, 03:06 AM
As you make your way into the tavern past the distracted bouncer, you enter into a room full of hues that remind you of the subterranean fire of the worlds and the warmth of rock. You spot Dredge at a table with a black-haired woman clad in scarlet. Nobody seems to have resorted to weapons yet, but you notice hands on weapons around the room and a wary muttering quality to the conversations. The bouncer, a huge half-orc fully a head and a half taller than you dressed in incongruous eladrin-styled clothing that looks slightly ridiculous on him, notices you then; and so does the woman.

"We busy right now. You go now," he growls at you in a deep gravelly voice like layers of rock rubbing against each other as he lays a huge meaty hand on your shoulder. "No make trouble."

"Oh, relax for a moment, Thrunk," Salera says in a silky voice like flowing water, shifting languidly as she glances your way, though keeping an eye on Dredge.

"Well, what have we here? A corpse and a rock. Today just gets more and more interesting. Friend of his?"

Conundrum
2012-03-03, 05:31 AM
Dredge

Without turning to look at Rumble, Dredge nods. "She's my... protection. After all, corpses can be so fragile, he adds, eyes blazing.

"You're right, of course - I'm here to do business. I find myself in need of some cold iron, and I've heard that you might be able to provide some... discreetly."

[roll0] Bluff again! And I think Rumble should try to aid me. The fact that she's not fey should help lend credulity, I think, so as long as the others don't burst in halfway through this should be believable enough...

EDIT: Hah! Never mind about the aiding, she's gonna have trouble insighting through that!

Nai_Calus
2012-03-03, 06:23 AM
Salera smiles as she leans forward, sinuously draping herself onto her arms as she rests her chin on the back of her hand.

"Well, now. Perfectly sensible to bring protection. Hah, sorry about it, darling. I've seen your type before. Bit odd, but hardly your fault if some uppity god decided you were better off on this side of the veil. No offense meant." She waves a hand idly to the room, which relaxes as one, the bouncer removing his hand from Rumble's shoulder with an apologetic shrug. Salera folds her arms on the table and takes on a more business-like posture.

"Cold iron. Interesting request. We deal in it, of course. Though, we've got some rather big clients for it right now, so our supplies have become a bit limited, but we've still got a fairly decent stock. What exactly are you looking for? I'm sure we can get what you need and make a deal." She smiles winningly.

Shadow_Elf
2012-03-03, 01:07 PM
Baruk
Seeing Rumble enter the tavern, Baruk is more at ease. He turns to the companions who remain outside. I think it best we not raise more questions by entering the tavern. I do not know what story they have concocted to please this lot, but I'm not going to be the one to ruin it.

Sol
2012-03-03, 07:44 PM

As Rumble makes her way across the tavern to stand behind Dredge, a miniature sandstorm begins to swirl around her. She reaches the table just as the woman says, "Rather big clients," and notes her smile. Rumble does not smile at this.

Hoping beyond hope that this doesn't lead where she thinks it does, she opens her mouth and echoes, "Big in quantity, or big in stature? I'll not stand by while the Fomorians hollow out another Mountain, be that literal or figurative!" As if to punctuate her conviction, a massive, cruelly weaponized pick solidifies into existence strapped to her back.

"Ah, sorry," she says after a moment of cool silence. "I forget myself, and jump to conclusions too fast when it comes to those foul beasts. I'm sure no fey would risk arming the giants below when they're already gathering too close to the surface for comfort. No good could come of that, no long term profits. I, ah, sorry, mountains are best seen and not heard, I suppose."

The vortex of sand is my Defender Aura. Intimidate check to pair with her outburst: [roll0] Also, you stole my color!

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-03, 08:08 PM
Tabita, Shadar-Kia Skald

Tabita listens in but does not say anything. Instead, she quietly orders a drink and sips it while leaning against the counter and watching the others.

Nai_Calus
2012-03-03, 09:29 PM
Salera recoils from Rumble as weapons are unsheathed throughout the tavern.

"You think we're behind that? Please. I want to own this city, what do I gain by destroying it? We're not selling to them, so if they're getting it it's through an intermediary. I have no control over it if my clients happen to be passing it on to them. Perhaps mountains are better seen than heard, though I don't see any here. An overgrown rock perhaps."

Tabita:

The drink is actually pretty good. The bouncer didn't hassle you much on your way in, but he seemed to be more busy watching the table with the others than the entrance. The bartender is an older winter eladrin who chills the glasses through some innate cold magic he possesses, and he leans in and whispers at you.

"It might get a bit ugly, my dear. Might want to keep ready."

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-03, 09:45 PM
Tabita, Shadar-Kia Skald

The young woman whips out her soungbow, pulls the arrow back, and points it at Salera's head.

Shadow_Elf
2012-03-03, 10:03 PM
Baruk
Hearing Rumble's outrage, Baruk scowls. Perhaps he should not have been so relieved that Rumble had gone up after all. Tajal, Sparrowhawk. Our companions may soon need us above; we should ascend, but remain discreet if at all possible. With that, Baruk climbs up the ramp to the door. When he approaches the bouncer, he gives him a tusked grin. I have been told this place is a good spot for a tired half-orc to find good food and drink. May I enter, sir? asks Baruk, hoping to catch the bouncer off-guard with his Mithrendanni court manners.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Sol
2012-03-04, 12:58 AM

Rumble bursts out into a deep rumbling laugh. "Oh, I quite like you," she says to Salera. "I do hope we can be friends.

You're quite right about my current state being less mountain than rock, but I have the Fomorians, and to a lesser extent the Unseelie to thank for that, so you can see why they upset me so. I do apologize for the scare.

I ordinarily wouldn't dare ask a lady of business to share her client list, but if there's a chance your buyer is working as an intermediary, wouldn't you rather know about it? I would gladly look into it for you, and without charge."

Rumble eyes Tabita warily, and shifts such that she is between Salera and the Skald. Ah, and that would be my protection. There's no need for that bow, I trust?"

Conundrum
2012-03-04, 04:00 AM
Dredge

Dredge looks around carefully as the situation degrades. With an almost detached calm, he puts one hand on Rumble's arm, and shoots a meaningful glance at Tabita.

Then he chuckles. "Tensions are running a bit high around here these days, aren't they?" he asks, grinning. "Obviously it's not your fault if the cold iron is being on-sold to the Fomorians, but it would be in all our best interests to ensure that it's not, correct? As you said - noone here wants to see the city destroyed."

After a thoughtful pause, he adds, "But really, it's none of our concern. Once we get what we need we'd be moving on anyway, so I suppose there's no real need for us to get involved..."

Diplomacy to defuse the situation: [roll0]
Also, let me know if you want me to roll something to make my reverse psychology work :smallwink:

Servbot
2012-03-04, 06:45 AM
Tajal

The Warlock nods to Baruk, following him quietly and as casually as he likes to, his form distorting lightly as he walks. When Baruk addresses the bouncer, Tajal simply keeps quiet, though smiles a bit and points to Baruk to indicate he's with half-orc.

The distorting form is shadow walk; seems a bit more appropriate given Star Pact. Shadow walk seems like it'd fit Infernal and Dark, but not quite the rest...

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-04, 07:30 PM
Tabita, Shadar-Kia Skald

The shadar-kia lets the arrow loose, targeting Salera's hip, as opposed to some vital area. She aims to incapacitate, not kill.

Attack: [roll0] vs AC.
Hit: [roll1] damage.

Nai_Calus
2012-03-04, 10:34 PM
As Tabita draws her bow, the tavern erupts into chaos. The bartender dives behind the bar, and many of the patrons make a beeline for the doors. A few, however, draw weapons.

"So that's how it's to be, then? Fine, then. But don't think I'll go easy on you!"

Map and key:

http://www.iankunx.net/tavernbattleround1.jpg

Key:
http://www.iankunx.net/tavernbattlekey.jpg

Initiative:
PCs win initiative.

Tabita - P10
Dredge - N13
Sparrowhawk - M24
Tajal - L23
Baruk - K22
Rumble - L15

Enemies:

Salera - K14
Eladrin - I10, H13, O17
Elf - H7
Bouncer - K20

-

Salera laughs cheerfully as Tabita's arrow bounces off her armor.

"Is that the best you have?"

Shadow_Elf
2012-03-04, 10:48 PM
Baruk
I had hoped it would not come to this... sighs the half-orc, casually strapping on his shield. Honour to the Seldarine! he bellows, stepping forward and punching the bouncer in the face. As his gauntleted fist flies forward, a bulkhead of radiant magic coalesces on it.

Minor Action: Strap on my Shield
Move Action: Shift to K21
Standard Action: 1A - Valiant Strike /w Holy Smite @ Bouncer

Valiant Strike vs. Bouncer: [roll0] vs. AC
Hit: [roll1] damage and he is dazed until the end of my next turn.
Effect: 7 radiant damage.

Sol
2012-03-05, 12:10 AM

Rumble sighs, frowns, and shakes her head, before turning to Salera. "I wished no violence to stand between us. My offer still stands, if you still stand when we are through with this stand-off. To demonstrate our worth, however, I shall pull no punches m'lady."

And with that, Rumble stomps on the ground, causing a small shockwave to emanate from her, knocking the table and chairs to the ground. As the resulting cloud of dust clears, you can see that a fresh layer of mud has coated Rumble's robes.

In a smooth movement, she spins her pick off of her back and swings it at Salera viciously, doubling the speed of the sandstorm orbiting around her, and sending a good bit of sand into Salera's eyes. "Still having fun?"

The Sandstorm is, as mentioned earlier, Rumble's Defender Aura.
Move Action: Draw my Shadow-Wrought Heavy Warpick +2
Minor Action: Earthshock

Close Burst 1 vs enemies touching the ground (just Salera in this case),
[roll0] vs FORT.
Hit: She is knocked prone.
Effect: I gain 9 Temp HP (from the Primordial Surge feat).
Standard Action: Dangerous Presence vs Salera

[roll1] vs AC. If Earthshock knocked her prone, add +2 to this roll for CA.
Hit: [roll2] damage.
Miss: Half damage.
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, enemies subject to my Defender Aura grant Combat Advantage.

Conundrum
2012-03-05, 05:27 AM
Dredge

Dredge rolls his eyes - though it's difficult to tell - and suddenly a black light shimmers across his pale skin. He reaches behind him with one hand to grab the staff strapped to his back and stretches the other out to the side. Shadows race from the corners of the room to coalesce as a dagger in the outstretched hand.

He then turns calmly to face the elf with the bow, and a screaming bolt of multicoloured light bursts from the end of his staff.

Wild Soul roll - [roll0]
Which means I gain resist 5 and penetrate 5 necrotic until my next extended rest.

Move: Draw Staff of Ruin +2
Minor: Create Shadow-Wrought Weapon
Standard: Chaos Bolt vs Elf Archer
Attack: [roll1] vs Reflex
Damage: [roll2] psychic damage.

No other wild magic funsies though, since I don't need a saving throw.

Servbot
2012-03-05, 12:07 PM
Tajal

With a quick gesture, the warlock produces his staff, pointing it towards the bouncer with a mumble. "S'pose I can't really have you approach the others," he says, placing a curse on the bouncer shortly before releasing a blast of energy at him.

Move Action: Draw Staff of Ruin +2.
Minor Action: Curse bouncer.
Standard Action: Eldritch blast against bouncer.
Attack roll: [roll0] vs Reflex, +2 if he is dazed and I get CA. No prime shot, regrettably.
Damage roll: [roll1], Curse damage: [roll2].

Servbot
2012-03-05, 12:10 PM
Tajal

That's a crit. 22 damage from eldritch blast. Don't think curse damage gets maxed.
Crit damage roll: [roll0]

Also, do tell me if you'd prefer I edit my post or post this sort of stuff in OOC in the future. Not quite used to critting.

Nai_Calus
2012-03-06, 08:18 AM
The companions spring into action, bringing their weapons and magic to bear against the Bloodied Leaves, who quickly retaliate.

Sparrowhawk fires a beam of arcane energy at the half-orc bouncer but misses.

The Eladrin scattered around the tavern spring into position, moving to attack the intruders. One teleports next to Rumble, one rushes Tabita, and one comes up to Baruk, all drawing weapons and attacking. The eladrin attacking Baruk misses badly, but the other two find their marks. (7 damage to both, Rumble is knocked prone)

Salera hisses in rage and draws her longsword, attacking the offending Genasi. She strikes a glancing blow followed up by an attack from one of her henchmen, but the attack misses and she quickly retreats, teleporting away.

The bouncer roars in pain and shifts to take advantage of the eladrin's positioning, his greataxe thudding into his fellow half-orc with a sickening thunk. (14 damage)

The archer lets an arrow fly at Dredge, seeing the shadar-kai who'd started this mess engaged for the moment and wanting revenge. The arrow sinks deep into the revenant's chest, leaving him disadvantaged. (25 damage, granting CA save ends)

Map:

http://www.iankunx.net/autumnsfuryround2.jpg

Tabita - P10 - 7 damage
Dredge - N13 - 25 damage, granting CA(Save Ends)
Sparrowhawk - M24
Tajal - L23
Baruk - K21 - 14 damage
Rumble - L15 - 19 damage, prone

Enemies:

Salera - K14 - 37 damage
Eladrin - I10, H13, O17
Elf - H7 -18 damage
Bouncer - K20 - 47 damage

Dice rolls:

Sparrowhawk:
Illusory Ambush vs Bouncer: [roll0] vs Will, on hit [roll1] and he takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until EONT

Eladrin 1 vs Baruk: [roll2] vs AC, 7 damage.
Eladrin 2 vs Tabita: [roll3] vs AC, 7 damage
Eladrin 3 vs Rumble: [roll4] vs AC, 7 damage and knocked prone

Salera vs Rumble: 35 (+20, see OOC) vs AC. On hit: [roll5] and Eladrin 3 makes an MBA adding 4 to the damage roll, too bad E3 is a minion and doesn't make them: [roll6] 7 damage

Elf archer vs Dredge: [roll7] vs AC, [roll8] and Dredge grants combat advantage, save ends. Possible EA reroll: [roll9]

Bouncer vs Baruk: 31 (+13, see OOC) vs AC, [roll10] damage

Conundrum
2012-03-06, 08:59 AM
Dredge

As the arrow impacts Dredge's side, his eyes flash with rage. He moves rapidly to Salera's side, and his shadowy dagger flickers with lightning as it moves faster than the eye can follow, inflicting numerous small cuts on the eladrin woman. He then closes his eyes for a moment, before sending forth a painful eruption of psychic energy.

Move: Move to I10

Minor: Lightning Cuts vs Salera.
Attack vs Reflex: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] lightning damage.

Standard: Bedeviling Burst against Salera and Elf Archer
Attack Salera vs Will: [roll2]
Attack Elf Archer vs Will: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] psychic damage.
Pull or slide incoming, depends on result of attack roll. Stupid wild magic haha.

Edit: Damn, odd. Ok, push Elf Archer to H3, and push Salera to M5.
EDIT again: Actually, since the push is optional, I'm gonna leave them where they are. And hope one of them goes down this turn ;)

Potential Elven Accuracy reroll: [roll5]
(Not using this).

Saving throws: 10 and 4 (see OOC). So I should no longer grant CA.
Also gain +1 AC until the start of my next turn from Chaos Burst.

Sol
2012-03-06, 12:42 PM

As Rumble stands, she scoops up some of the mud that has fallen from her robes and packs it tightly into her wounds.

She turns her head towards Eladrin 3 and cheerfully bellows, "Goodbye!," as she charges full speed at Salera before he can react.

"Did you miss me, friend? I didn't miss you!," Rumble echoes at Salera after lodging her Pick in the Eladrin's shoulder.

Minor Action: Stoneskin Cloth Armor Encounter - I gain 5THP
Move Action: Stand Up
Standard Action: Charge Salera (to J10)
This does not provoke from E3 due to my badge of the Berserker.
Charge attack with CA
[roll0] vs AC

Rumble is at 52/62 HP with 5 Temps. Enemies in her Defender Aura are granting CA.

Shadow_Elf
2012-03-06, 01:06 PM
Baruk
The half-Orc grins. Elves and orcbloods working together! The Old One smiles upon you, he laughs, referring to his opponents. Problem is, he smiles upon me more! With that, an aura of red and blue magic begins to shine around Baruk as he whirls and rams his head into the bouncer's face.

Minor Action: Defender Aura On
Standard Action: Valiant Strike + Holy Smite + Furious Smash vs. Bouncer

Attack: [roll0] Vs AC.
Hit: [roll1] damage and dazed uemnt.
Miss: Do not expend furious smash

Shadow_Elf
2012-03-06, 05:30 PM
Baruk
As his headbutt shakes the half-orc bouncer's focus, Baruk capitalizes on the opportunity. I thought we two half-orcs might settle our differences through a fistfight. Since you're so determined to kill me, however, I feel I must reciprocate, he says, doubting the dizzied bouncer even understood what he said. He draws the sword belted at his right hip and brings it around for a horizontal chop.

Minor Action: Draw broadsword
Free Action: Spend Action Point
Standard Action: Valiant Strike @ Half-Orc

Attacl: [roll0] vs. AC

Servbot
2012-03-07, 04:23 PM
Tajal

The Warlock strides forward, mirroring himself as he does so to disturb anyone attempting to take aim at him. He reaps the rewards of his curse while imposing a new one on Salera, and invokes an eldritch sign over the archer.

"Not too fond of arrows, see," he quips. "Rather see you not shoot us so."

Move: to J-17. This activates my shadow walk and I have concealment against all enemies.
Free Action: On bouncer getting bloodied, I invoke bloodied pact boon. This removes his curse and grants me a +1 bonus to attack.
Minor: Curse Salera.
Standard: Sign of Ill Omen on the archer.
Attack: [roll0] vs Will, +1 if bloodied boon was triggered. On a hit, the archer takes a -4 penalty to attack rolls and rolls twice when he attacks, taking the lowest result.
Damage: [roll1] damage.

Lemonus
2012-03-07, 06:10 PM
Having been distracted for a while with how he was going to turn his skin invisible, Sparrowhawk hadn't noticed the fight around him. When he notices, he pulls out his orb, a small piece of crystal, and begins shouting in what he thinks is a deep voice, but is actually very high-pitched. "Fools! I am Sparrowhawk, the greatest wizard ever! You have angered me, and must now pay the price!" He then creates the illusion of several creatures attacking the bouncer.

Minor: Pull out Orb
Illusory Ambush on the Bouncer.
[roll0] VS Will
Hit: [roll1] damage, and the Bouncer takes -2 to attacks and grants CA to me until EONT.

Nai_Calus
2012-03-09, 07:19 AM
Tabita stabs at the eladrin next to her, but her aim is poor and the woman dodges.

The eladrin attempt to attack the party, but their swings go wide and they fail.

Salera fares rather better, striking first one blow and another at Rumble with a triumphant shout that rallies the elven archer, though the archer's attack, confused by Tajal's magic, goes wide. One of the eladrin is inspired to make an attack of his own, however, and he manages to knock the Genasi to the ground, though she quickly recovers and slams her pick into him, ending his life. Salera hisses in rage.

"You'll pay for that!"

Map:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8851/autumnsfurybattle.jpg

Tabita - M12
Dredge - I10
Sparrowhawk - M24
Tajal - L23
Baruk - K21 10 damage
Rumble - J10 37 damage, prone

Enemies:

Salera - J9 - 59 damage
Eladrin - J11, L21, O9
Elf - H7 - 35 damage, -4 to attacks, roll twice take worst
Bouncer - K20 - 76 damage, dazed, -2 to attacks

Dice rolls:

Tabita vs Eladrin 2:
[roll0]

Eladrin 1: [roll1] vs Baruk's AC, on hit 7 damage and prone

Eladrin 2 possible attack: [roll2]

Eladrin 3: [roll3] vs Rumble's AC, on hit 7 damage and prone

Salera vs Rumble: [roll4] vs AC, [roll5] and she and the archer regain 15 HP

Elf: [roll6] [roll7] vs Dredge's AC, on hit [roll8]

Bouncer: [roll9] vs Baruk, on hit [roll10] and he regains 10 HP

Salera vs Rumble AP: [roll11] vs AC, [roll12]
Eladrin 3 vs Rumble, see OOC: 28 vs AC, 7 damage and knocked prone

Sol
2012-03-09, 11:58 AM
Map before Rumble:http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/8302/autumnsfurybattle1.jpg

Rumble laughs a deep, bellowing laugh as sand gushes out of her gaping wounds. "What purpose do you think knocking a Mountain to the ground has? The ground is, as always, where mountains rise from. Except for floating mountains, but even I think those are weird."

With a glance towards Tabita, Rumble's wounds begin to close, and the flow of sand is briefly reversed. Spinning with her vortex of sand, Rumble stands and swings her Pick in a full arc, before charging the elf with the bow.

Minor: Activate Skald Aura healing - Surge + [roll0]
Move: Stand Up
Standard: Sweeping Cut - CB1 friendly
vs Salera [roll1] vs AC
vs E3 [roll2]
Hit: [roll3] damage and knocked prone.
Miss: Half Damage.
Action Point:
Standard Action: Charge Elf Archer (to I8; does not provoke)
[roll4] vs AC
Hit: [roll5] damage.

Rumble is at 42/62 HP and angry that her rolls were so ****ty. But she killed a minion!

Map after Rumble:
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8851/autumnsfurybattle.jpg

Conundrum
2012-03-09, 01:28 PM
Dredge

Seeing one of the minor eladrin fall, Dredge extends one arm and his staff seems to collect some energy from the death.

"Remember to take the eladrin woman alive!" Dredge yells, even as his entire body shimmers with a bright yellow sheen. He then seems to dissolve into a shower of sparks, which travel through Salera (discharging some sickly-looking grey-green energy as they do), then around Rumble to the Archer, before settling some distance away.

Free action: Dark Reaping, when E3 falls. [roll0] extra necrotic damage to assign to a target that I hit before my EONT.

Standard: Spark Form. Shift through Salera and Elf Archer's squares, then settle in K4.
Attack vs Salera: [roll1] vs Reflex.
Attack vs Elf Archer: [roll2] vs Reflex.
Damage: [roll3] lightning damage.

IF I hit Salera, I'll assign my extra 11 damage from Dark Reaping to her; otherwise I'll save it for next turn obviously. I think I might have, so I'll edit my descriptive text...

Also, Chaos Burst once again grants me +1 AC until my EONT.

Dredge remains on 29/54 HP.

Shadow_Elf
2012-03-11, 01:12 PM
Baruk
See, I have had enough of that axe of yours. Allow me to relieve you of it, growls Baruk, bringing his broadsword around to slash the bouncer, trying to knock him out. He then takes up a defensive stance in the doorway, keeping his blue and red aura focused on his foes but hopefully preventing them from further flanking him.

Standard Action: Valiant Strike @ Bouncer
Move Action: Shift 1 square south, into the doorway (assuming I am reading the map correctly).

Valiant Strike: [roll0] vs. AC (+2 valiant, +2 CA, 12 base)

Servbot
2012-03-12, 05:48 AM
Tajal

The Warlock moves, generating his mirror images as he does so. During this walk, he discharges a burst of magic at the distant elf archer, and curses the nearby eladrin.

Move: Walk to M-13.
Standard: Eldritch Blast at elf archer.
Attack: [roll0] vs Reflex.
Damage: [roll1] damage.

Minor: Curse O-9 enemy.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-13, 03:43 PM
Tabita, Shadar-Kia Skald

Tabita fires a shot at the bouncer, aiming for his eye socket.

Attack: [roll0] vs AC.

Lemonus
2012-03-13, 04:26 PM
Sparrowhawk, seeing his allies dealing with the bouncer, creates more illusory foes attacking the Eladrin near him.

Illusory Ambush on Eladrin 1.
[roll0] VS Will
Hit: [roll1] damage, and Eladrin 1 takes -2 to attacks and grants CA to me until EONT.

Nai_Calus
2012-03-13, 08:49 PM
Rumble successfully buries her pick in one of the Eladrin, ending his life in a quick, sudden gesture that brings a hiss of rage to Salera's throat, as Baruk slams his weapon into the bouncer while Tabita's arrow successfully sinks into the half-orc's eye. The others don't fare as well.

The surving eladrin spring into action, one coming up to hack at Tajal(7 damage) and the other continuing to futilely attack Baruk.

"Thrunk! Leave him be and get out of here! Fool!" Salera hisses as she sinks her blade into Rumble's side once and then a second time, shoving the Genasi away(25 damage, slid to G9). "It's been lovely, darling, but I'm getting tired of this." With that she turns and heads for the door, skirting Rumble as she does so. "Eria! Come!" The elf nods and also darts for the door, avoiding Rumble as well as she fires a shot at him that goes wide.

Thrunk, lost in his bloodlust, ignores Salera's warning and continues to attack Baruk, though his rage makes his swings go wide.

Tabita - M12
Dredge - K4
Sparrowhawk - M24
Tajal - L12 (M13 is in the middle of a table.) - 7 damage
Baruk - K22
Rumble - G9 - 25 damage

Enemies:

Salera - M3 - 66 damage
Eladrin - L21, M11
Elf - K1 - 35 damage
Bouncer - K20 - 93 damage

Eladrin 1 vs Baruk: [roll0], 7 damage
Eladrin 2 vs Tajal: [roll1], 7 damage
Salera vs Rumble: [roll2], [roll3]; and [roll4], [roll5] and slid to G9
Elf vs Dredge: [roll6], [roll7]
Bouncer vs Baruk: [roll8], [roll9]

Shadow_Elf
2012-03-13, 09:28 PM
Baruk
That arrow in your eye isn't going to do wonders for your brain, brother. Perhaps you should lie down, mutters Baruk, smacking the bouncer over the head with the flat of his broadsword.

Standard Action: Valiant Strike @ Bouncer, non-lethal

[roll0] vs. AC

Remainder of turn depends on this.

Sol
2012-03-14, 12:16 AM

As Salera's blade slices into Rumble's side, she lets out a howl of rage and counterattacks, slicing into Salera as she winds up for her second swing.

As her pick connects, Rumble opens her mouth wide, as if in a howl of rage, but it becomes clear that she's inhaling rather than exhaling. The vortex of sand stops swirling and is sucked into Rumble's gaping maw. Salera's blade sinks into Rumble's flesh a second time with a sickening thunk, but as Rumble staggers back, the hole is immediately filled in with fresh sand.

"Leaving so soon?," she calls out to her new friend, "But we were getting along so well! Oh goodness, it appears you forgot your hug goodbye! Let me bring it to you."

Rumble chases Salera and Eria around the table, grinning at Tabita as she runs. The sand filling Rumble's wounds glosses over and smooths into rock, leaving her looking good as new, and she charges full speed at Salera.

There's a lot going on this turn. I'll do my best to explain the order of things.

First off, I am assuming Tabita used Bolstering Speech before her RBA to give me 4 THP, because there's no reason she shouldn't have. I can reverse this assumption if you want me to.

Secondly, I am using Curtain of Steel as an Immediate Reaction to Salera's first attack. Hit or Miss, this triggers my Berserker's Fury, which ends my Defender Aura, reduces my AC by 2, adds 1d8 damage to my at-wills and basic attacks, and gives me 15 THP, all before Salera's second swing.

So Rumble is starting her turn at 34/62 with 2 THP.

Immediate Reaction: Curtain of Steel vs Salera
vs AC, [roll1] Damage.
Move Action: Move to M8
Minor Action: Activate Skald Aura for Surge+[roll2] healing
Standard Action: Charge Salera ending in M4
[roll3] vs AC, [roll]1d12+1d8+8 Damage.

This leaves Rumble at 56/62 HP with 2 THP.

Map: http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/8302/autumnsfurybattle1.jpg

Conundrum
2012-03-14, 07:25 AM
Dredge

"You won't get away that easy," Dredge growls, repositioning himself behind Rumble. He then hangs his head in concentration and stretches out his arms - one towards Salera, and one towards the archer in the doorway.

Straining with effort, small sparks run up his arms. Finally, he seems to grasp the air and yank back towards himself. "COME BACK!" he yells, as he releases the pent up magnetic energy and forces his enemies back into the room.

The residual energy from the attack continues to hover in the air around the sorcerer, electrifying it.

Move: to M6.
Standard: Shocking Magnetism (Daily) vs Salera and Elf Archer.
Attack vs Salera: [roll0] vs Reflex - EDIT: *sigh*
Attack vs Elf Archer: [roll1] vs Reflex
Damage: [roll2] Lightning (non-lethal)
I will use my 11 necrotic damage from Dark Reaping last turn on the Elf Archer, if it hit.

On hit, I will pull Elf Archer to M5 and Salera to N5.
Until the end of the encounter, creatures who start their turn next to me take 4 lightning damage.

Chaos Burst continues to grant me +1 AC.

Shadow_Elf
2012-03-14, 07:39 AM
Baruk
The rose belted at Baruk's hip glows faintly, and a gentle tune fills the air for a moment. Time seems to slow as Baruk's blade comes back across, smacking the half-Orc upside the head.

Free: Ki Focus Daily Power, use an at-will power on target of previous attack.
Free: Valiant Strike @ Bouncer

[roll0] Vs AC

Hit: [roll1] damage. If this finishes him off, autoKO the minion.

Servbot
2012-03-14, 11:06 AM
Tajal

In response to the attack, the Warlock unleashes a burst of energy to drop the assailant.

Immediate Interrupt: Delban's Deadly Attention.
Attack Roll: [roll0] vs Will. On a hit, enemy chooses to either deal half damage or take damage again.
Damage Roll: [roll1] necrotic damage.
Damage Roll #2: [roll2] necrotic damage if they choose to press the attack on in spite of that.

Sol
2012-03-14, 02:42 PM
Map updateUpdating since so much has happened in the last few turns. Tajal, Sparrowhawk, and Tabita still have their turns before the NPCs go again.
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/8851/autumnsfurybattle.jpg
Selara (M3) and Eria (M5) are the only enemies remaining.

Shadow_Elf
2012-03-14, 10:09 PM
Baruk
As his broadsword knocks the half-orc out, his shield comes across and bashes the eladrin in the face, knocking them out too. He then advances into the room.

Move Action: To K16

Servbot
2012-03-15, 03:06 PM
Tajal

Satisfied with disabling the immediate threat, Tajal advances forward, cursing the nearby archer this time. He fires off another bolt of eldritch energy.

Move: To J-8.
Minor: Curse Archer.
Standard: Eldritch Blast at Archer.
Attack Roll: [roll0] vs Reflex.
Damage Roll: [roll1] damage, plus additional [roll2] curse damage.

Nai_Calus
2012-03-15, 09:15 PM
The archer's eyes go wide and she slumps to the floor as Salera's eyes widen as well.

"Eira! EIRA!" She screams, her voice agonized as she shoves Rumble aside and flies to the fallen elf's side. "Eira! Speak to me! Eira!" She glares at the intruders with hate in her eyes as she tries to close the elf's wounds. "Lleyr! Get a healer! Now!" The bartender peeks up from behind the bar, pales even further, and quickly runs towards the door. "If she dies..." Her face twists in disgust and she slumps slightly, her mind apparently made up about something. "Save her. There has to be something one of you miserable bastards can do to help her. I'll tell you anything, whatever you need me to get for you I'll do it, just don't let her die." The eladrin's voice is desperate now, and tears spill from her right eye.

Shadow_Elf
2012-03-15, 09:41 PM
Baruk
As the Old One gave of himself for others, so too shall I, rumbles Baruk, walking over to the archer. He channels life force out of himself into the archer, restoring her wounds.

I use my Second Wind sacrificial ability to give her my surge value in hitpoints.

Sol
2012-03-15, 10:53 PM

Rumble smiles her most comforting smile at Salera, which, sadly, is not particularly comforting at all. The jagged shards of crystal that are her teeth gleam in the light, and Rumble's eyes still glow bright with fierceness, which slowly begins to wane as she begins to speak.

"My dear Salera, why would we have any interest in killing your pets? I believe you'll find Thrunk no worse off than after a night's drinking when he comes to, as well. Your other lackeys, well, I'm not sure." Rumble loosens her grip on her War Pick, which immediately turns to sand and slips through her fingers, blown away into nothingness as if by a gust of wind despite the air being still. She reaches down and extends a hand towards Eira, easily lifting the Elf to her feet.

"Now, where were we?," Rumble grabs an apple off of the table next to her and pops it into her mouth whole. "Ah, yes, Cold Iron. It's not so much materials we need as names. Who are you getting it from, and who are you selling it to? Do you know what they're using it for?" Rumble tilts her head back slightly, belches loudly, and the apple core flies out of her mouth and into her hand. Handing the core to Lleyr, Rumble asks, "Could you be a doll and throw that away for me?" A moment passes in silence as Rumble notices the strange expressions on everyone's faces. "What, would you all prefer I grew a tree? Really now."

Returning her focus to Salera, Rumble continues. "If you don't know, perhaps you should. I doubt you'd like it much, and putting a stop to it would be so much more fun with friends like you on our side."

Shadow_Elf
2012-03-16, 12:23 AM
Baruk
Rumble, do not be so callous. These are enemies, aye, but they still deserve respect. Give them a moment to catch their breath, scolds the knight, sheathing his broadsword and pinning his shield back in place. He strokes the rose at his hip briefly with his gauntleted hand before he then turns to the barkeep. I apologize for any damage our fracas may have caused, sir, but I think the furniture and decor are mostly intact. I had come here hoping you might have some Mithrendanni red wine in your cellar; if you could provide such a beverage, I would be most grateful. With that, he turns back to Salera. Miss, we really do need to know whatever it is you know. It is of utmost importance.

Sol
2012-03-16, 01:19 AM

Rumble glares at Baruk as he scolds her. "Enemies? " Rumble blinks. "I see no enemies here. Are you sure it's not you being disrespectful? No woman who cares so deeply for her companions is an enemy of mine, no matter what industry she's gotten caught up in. From what I've seen here today, I cannot believe that Salera knows the evil that her clients are engaged in. Salera, friend, will you help us?"

Conundrum
2012-03-16, 05:27 AM
Dredge

During this heartfelt exchange, Dredge rolls his eyes and takes a seat at the nearest table, waiting to see if Salera will cooperate now.

Shadow_Elf
2012-03-16, 07:01 AM
Baruk
I apologize for a poor choice of words. Foe, or opponent may have been better. I simply wished to allude to the fact that we met not moments ago on the stage of battle. I meant no offense, Miss Salera.

Servbot
2012-03-16, 08:53 AM
Tajal

The Warlock shrugs a bit helplessly at the dramatic scene unfolding. As if he's some evil murderer running amok, or something.

"Only those prepared to die should draw weapons," he says, ill at ease.

Nai_Calus
2012-03-16, 11:45 AM
Salera sags in relief as Eira's eyelids flutter open, and grabs the smaller woman in a near-desperate, passionate embrace.

"Salera..." Eira dazedly brushes a loose lock of her auburn hair from her face.

"Shh, darling, it'll be fine," Salera says soothingly as she helps Eira to her feet.

"Well now, at least some of us have manners," she says, brushing herself off as she recovers her dignity. "Lleyr, drinks please." The winter eladrin nods and quickly brings drinks to the table everyone is nearest, discarding the apple core on the way.

"Talonien Sarothian. That's our supplier. Big name in Mithrendain. Pain in the ass, of course, but he gets quality wares so it's worth putting up with him, most of the time." She shifts languidly, though her hand never leaves Eira's.

"As to who's buying, well, there's a couple right now. Biggest is some crazy cultist going on about how he's going to revive his dark eldritch whatever, the usual claptrap that doesn't pan out. Other one's some eladrin woman, won't say who she's working for. Not even sure she's an Eladrin, there's something off about her. Think there's a couple others who've bought a bit or two recently. Eira?"

"I'll have to check the books, but there's been at least three others... I don't keep them here, though, we'll have to get them."

Conundrum
2012-03-16, 12:07 PM
Dredge

"Well, we could go after the supplier, but then whoever we're after would just find some other way of getting their dark iron. We have to go straight to the source of the problem." He pauses a moment, considering the information provided by Salera. "I wouldn't think those last three are buying enough to be who we're looking for, right? So either the crazy cultist is using that story as a cover, or we're looking for the strange eladrin."

Shadow_Elf
2012-03-16, 12:37 PM
Baruk
I would... prefer we avoided Mithrendain, notes Baruk, a tinge of sadness in his voice. Of your two clients, I think the mysterious Eladrin sounds more like our target. I don't suppose your "books" might have any additional information on this client? asks the half-orc, sipping from the proffered drink as he does so.

Nai_Calus
2012-03-17, 03:45 PM
Baruk's drink proves to be the Mithrendanni wine he had hoped for, an excellent vintage he's able to identify as coming from the well-known Printempest winery.

"Yes, I keep track of who buys what and what information we have on them," Eira says, nodding. "Actually, I think at least one of them is waiting on a shipment. As I said, I'll need to get them. You can come with me, we're about due to move headquarters again anyway, or you can wait here while I get them. Salera?"

"Either of those will be fine. Though I must admit that I'm curious. Why the interest, anyway? You want information, fine, but what for?" She taps a finger against her cheek.

Sol
2012-03-17, 06:17 PM

Rumble, deciding that there's no easy way to put the situation, levels with Salera bluntly. "We believe that one of your clients is behind a recent string of kidnappings targeting Eladrin children, using the Cold Iron to prevent escape. We have a list of the kids involved, if you'd like to look, but there's no pattern we can see. We could use any assistance you could lend us in bringing these monsters to justice and rescuing the kids."

Servbot
2012-03-19, 03:18 PM
Tajal

A bit unsure, the Warlock interjects, "I'll... wait outside for these matters to conclude. I never quite got the idea of friendship through superior firepower." With that, he excuses himself to stand outside and take in the fresh air.

Funny how life works. Usually, blasting people didn't end up so courteous. Perhaps, in the future, he should try to aim for non-lethal places.

Nai_Calus
2012-03-19, 05:30 PM
"They're doing what?!" Lleyr interjects, his eyes widening in shock. "Unbelievable. Salera..." He frowns as he notices Tajal leaving and follows him.

Salera tenses and narrows her eyes.

"Well now. That's rather... Unfortunate. For my clients, that is," she says, leaning back in her chair and crossing her arms behind her head before bringing them back in front of her, examining her nails. "Very bad for business. So that's why the Council's been so down our necks lately..." She frowns. "Eira. Go get those books." The auburn elf nods and quickly darts out the door, returning half an hour later or so with a stack of ledgers that she sets down on the table and quickly begins to go through.

"Let's see. Yes, five of them recently. One just bought a pair of manacles, so he's extremely doubtful, these two wanted raw material and didn't buy too much. These are the likely ones. Dareth Shenhall. Human male, cultist of some bizarre probably made-up entity or other. Been buying rather a lot lately for some kind of ritual his cult's planning. Manacles, chains, a couple of locks. The other is Alestriel Thera, that Eladrin woman. Same sort of stuff as the other one, though more on the manacles." She shrugs.

Tajal:

Lleyr joins Tajal outside.

"She's... Not that bad. Well, she is. But not in this sort of thing. She's got a softer side, even if she is rather heavily involved in things I'd rather not be anywhere near." He sighs.

Conundrum
2012-03-19, 05:50 PM
Dredge

Dredge springs to his feet in exasperation. "Oh, please!" he rasps. "You're selling manacles and chains made of dark iron," he continues, punctuating each emphasised word by raising an additional finger, "and you couldn't put two and two... and two!... together? I could have accepted it if you were only selling the raw material, but really..."

He stops and looks around, realising that he should probably stop antagonising their help, but almost unable to help himself. He takes his seat again, fuming.

Sol
2012-03-19, 05:51 PM

"The council seems to be down everyone's neck's of late, and I'm not sure I trust them as much as you. Your motives - profit and Eira at least - are plain to see, but theirs are far harder to discern."

Noting that Salera seems to have broken a fingernail in the scuffle, Rumble removes her kneecap and hands it to her new friend as a new one forms in its place. "Sorry if I caused that, I realize my exterior is somewhat harder than most. Pumice makes the best file, I hear."

"What can you tell us about this Alestriel Thera, if anything? You mentioned earlier that you suspect she may not even be Eladrin. Why is that?"

Shadow_Elf
2012-03-19, 06:36 PM
Baruk
Noting that Llewyr has gone to speak to Tajal, Baruk refrains from doing the same. The latter does indeed seem to be the mote likely suspect. Unless the children are part of the ritual this cultist is planning, which might be possible.

Using his knowledge of things divine and historical, Baruk tries to think of any special ritual significance to mixed-blood elves.

History: [roll0]

Nai_Calus
2012-03-20, 12:59 AM
Salera shrugs at Dredge's outburst.

"I don't generally keep track of what we sell gets used for. But usually even scum like us has enough principles to not kidnap children. Don't get me wrong, I'm not stupid. I know people get hurt. I hurt people. Not kids, though. Seldarine, at least give 'em a chance to grow up first." She frowns and smirks at Rumble's words.

"Well, yes. I may be a thief and a liar and a cold-blooded killer, but I'm honest about it. Half those fools on the Council couldn't be honest with themselves." She accepts the kneecap with a raised eyebrow and files her nail smooth again with it. "Thanks. Now, Alestria. Odd woman. Never seen anyone sit that still. Barely moves. When she does she looks like she's being way too careful about it. Never seen an Eladrin that uncomfortable in her own skin. Probably some kind of changeling or someone in disguise. Fairly recent client, only a couple months back. Wants manacles mostly. No idea what for, we don't ask and the clients don't usually offer it." She nods at Baruk.

"Yeah, I wouldn't really rule out either just yet." She shrugs.

Baruk:

You can't think of any specific ritual use, but there's a bit of an old wives' tale floating around you've heard of that eladrin born of more than one season have a natural knack for bringing things together.

Shadow_Elf
2012-03-20, 08:27 AM
Baruk
Have you any information on where we might find these individuals? I know you don't ask a lot of your clients, but anything that'd put us on the right track would be of use.

Servbot
2012-03-20, 08:12 PM
Tajal

The eladrin eyes Lleyr, partly interested, partly wondering why all criminals have some people who take it up for 'em. Then again, he was sort of a criminal to his own master's eyes, so perhaps it wasn't so unreasonable.

"You'll have to forgive me for being uneasy after attempting to kill her," he responds with a wry smile. "Never quite a good way to make friends. I take it, then, that you are part of her gang?"

Nai_Calus
2012-03-21, 09:55 PM
Salera rubs her chin.

"This woman, no idea where she hangs out. Usually she comes to us. She's fairly regular, at least, so you might be able to catch her here. Actually, if she keeps to her usual patterns, she ought to show up in a couple days. The cultist, yeah, they're on the material side holed up in the forest a few hours out of the city to the Northwest. Crazy buggers, but their money spends as well as any other. I can get you directions there no problem."

Tajal:

Lleyr laughs.

"Seldarine, no. I'm not part of any of that foolishness. I just mind the bar here. Not fond of what goes on here, to tell the truth, but what can you do?" He shrugs apologetically. "We all have our reasons for doing what we do." He sighs wistfully, then smiles. "I wouldn't worry too much about it. Quite a few people have tried to kill Salera over the years. Actually, it's my understanding that that's how she met Eira."

Conundrum
2012-03-22, 06:52 AM
Dredge

A flash of annoyance crosses Dredge's face, but this time he manages to control himself. "Well, I'm assuming that if you don't know where she is, others in town are unlikely to know either. So our best bet of catching her is to be here when she next comes to make a purchase." The delay clearly bothers him, but he sighs and makes a concession. "Maybe we can go and look at these cultists in the mean time, just to ensure they're not a viable lead."

Shadow_Elf
2012-03-22, 10:27 AM
Baruk
I say we stamp out this cult. If they are buying shackles, then they obviously have some sort of fey prisoners. Maybe its the children, perhaps not. But with no solid leads on this other woman, we should give the cult a try, however much of a longshot it is. He faces Eira and Salera. I know it is not good for business to assault clientele, but if you could try to capture and subdue this Eladrin woman during her next purchase, it might help us greatly in saving these kids.

Conundrum
2012-03-22, 11:26 AM
Dredge

Dredge shakes his head. "We should investigate the cult, but we shouldn't get involved unless it turns out they're who we're looking for. No sense in risking our own hides over something that doesn't concern us, or pay."

Shadow_Elf
2012-03-22, 11:40 AM
Baruk
You care not at all for the fey they are holding captive? Do you search for the missing children out of mercenary greed alone, sorcerer? Where is your compassion? says Baruk, giving Dredge a questioning glance.

Conundrum
2012-03-22, 11:44 AM
Dredge

Dredge turns his unsettling gaze on Baruk. "My compassion?" he asks, drawing back the sleeves of his robe to reveal his blackened, clawed hands. "My compassion died when I did."

Shadow_Elf
2012-03-22, 02:20 PM
Baruk
Your undeath need not compromise your compassion, Dredge. Your choices are your own, and your nature is a poor excuse for your motivations. The dead need not be callous, he replies. If we find this cult with prisoners in hand, then I shall act to liberate them, regardless of what any of the rest of you desire. It would shame the Old One to do anything less, he declares. Shall we set out for the Material Plane, then? It has been quite some time since I have walked the plane of my birth.

Conundrum
2012-03-22, 05:17 PM
Dredge

Dredge rolls his eyes as he stands - though, again, it's hard to tell. "Yes, let's be on our way. Get the directions from our gracious host here... I'll be outside."

With that, he stalks towards the exit. Once outside, he leans against the "wall" of the tree, near Tajal and Lleyr but not part of their conversation.

Nai_Calus
2012-03-23, 01:25 AM
"Mmm. Dangerous. But we'll see what we can do," Salera says in reply to Baruk, shrugging. She calls after Dredge.

"Don't worry about it too much. Paladins like to preach. And hey, if it's money you want, we can always use people with talent." She stretches and turns to Baruk.

"Now. They hide out in the Tiaden forest, right by the river that runs through here. Go up it on the Material side, keep to the western bank, and they hole up in this miserable cave right on the water by a waterfall. You can't miss it, I've been told, if only because of the idiots always outside chanting." She shrugs, then smirks.

"For that matter, Paladin, if you ever find yourself in need of work, I'm sure we can find something for you as well."

Sol
2012-03-23, 01:59 AM

"My dear Salera, should I be offended you haven't offered me a job yet?," Rumble laughs. She sets down her half empty glass of water, which is quite muddy from backwash, and stands up.

"Baruk, where's your compassion? I find the death of Dredge's emotions quite tragic. Mountains are cold and stoic, but that doesn't mean we can't feel. Being unable to express onesself is its own brand of torture, I've learned." Rumble emits a hum which you can only assume is a sigh. "Besides, he's right. There's no telling what fey the cultists are chaining up, and our reaction should swing on what it is. Chaining up displacer beasts is dangerous and stupid, far more than it's wrong. As a rule, I don't seek to rescue things that will only try to eat me in thanks."

Looking back at Salera, she continues, "Do you need anything from the forest near where we're headed? Flowers for Eira, perhaps? And do be careful. If you're worried that Alestriel may prove harder to crack than a Mountain, we could arrange for council protection to assist your sting operation, or I could stay behind to protect you."

Nai_Calus
2012-03-23, 08:59 AM
"Hah!" Salera chuckles. "You as well, I suppose. You're rather tough, I've found." She grins, though the grin fades when the council is mentioned.

"So you are working for them, then. Well. That does make things rather more awkward. No, we don't need protection, and we certainly wouldn't get it from those fools. They want us shut down. I rather don't."

Shadow_Elf
2012-03-23, 10:40 AM
Baruk
At the mention of preaching, Baruk only smiles. My god believed that there was good even in Gruumsh. So too must I strive to find good where I can. I am not interested in preaching; I simply live a life in keeping with what I see as goodness. Nothing more.
When Rumble brings up Displacer Beasts, Baruk is taken slightly aback. I... Had not considered that their captives might be beasts. Very well; we shall decide once we have seen the captives whether or not we take action. At the mention of the Council, Baruk shakes his head. No, not as such. But we have connections we could call upon in the Council if needed. We are not on the Council payroll, he clarifies. As for the loss of Dredge's emotions, I do not think they are lost. I do not find it tragic that he does not wish to make the effort to find them again. He has been granted a second life - a rare opportunity that few obtain. I believe he ought to make the most of it. But it is not my life, and I only have one; I shall not waste precious minutes of it chiding the dead.

Nai_Calus
2012-03-24, 06:07 PM
Salera nods.

"Fair enough. Don't worry about us, though. I'm sure it's nothing we can't handle if she shows up while you're gone." She sips her drink.

"Don't worry about your companion. I'm sure he'll come around. Knew a guy like that once back in Mithrendain. Real downer, then he made some friends and started enjoying 'life' again. Actually got his memories back near the end, he told me before he finally moved on again that his second life had been better and meant more to him than his first one." She glances outside. "If you plan to leave today, you'd probably best get going soon."

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-24, 06:27 PM
Tabita, Shadar-Kai Skald

Tabita, who was standing in a corner doing tricks with her knife with one hand, drinking ale with the other, and quietly verbally exploring the many kinds of elven adverbs, turns her head towards the others.

"Wait! Something about cultists and cold iron, right?"

Servbot
2012-03-24, 08:01 PM
Tajal

"Really? Care to share the tale?" Tajal offers. The very idea of someone making friends (and perhaps lovers?) through a trial of attempted, and clearly failed, murder is intriguing to say the least.

Nai_Calus
2012-03-26, 12:40 AM
Tajal:

"From what I've heard, Salera was hired to assassinate Eira not long after she arrived here. Terrible business. Apparently Eira's quite a fighter, though, and Salera loves a challenge and anyone she can't defeat is exciting to her. She wound up hiring her instead after finding out that Eira's quite good at accounting. She's quiet, but she seems to have quite the adventurous streak, and questionable enough morals that she took to the lifestyle quite readily. I think the whole thing is a terrible mess, but I'm just the bartender." He shakes his head sadly. "They've both got such potential, but they waste it on being criminals when they could devote it to doing good in the worlds instead." He shrugs and offers a smile. "You lot at least seem to be into doing the right thing, so that's reassuring. Sometimes I feel the worlds have turned to darkness and that the light is fading from them, but I suppose that's just the silly foolishness of an old man." He notes the others leaving. "It seems you're about to be on your way. Nice meeting you. Do drop back in some time if you need a drink or a sympathetic ear."

Everyone:

You take your leave for now of the Autumn's Fury, taking Salera's directions and a map (http://www.iankunx.net/maphuge.jpg) she produces of the human kingdom on the material plane side. It takes a couple of tries as those unused to shifting between the planes in Serestal find it awkward at first, but everyone is quickly on the right plane and headed up the river towards where the cultists lair.

(OOC: I'll leave it open for y'all to do anything you want to do in the city before heading out, talk to people, ask around, whatever; and also decide how you're going to approach.)

Shadow_Elf
2012-03-26, 01:01 AM
Baruk
As they cross to the Material Plane side, Baruk turns to his companions. We can make faster time on horseback, he says, taking the rose out of his belt. Irelia, my heart, I am in need of your friend... he thinks, before turning his face to the clouds. AULDFAXE! he roars, and the thunder of hooves can be heard as, through a portal to Baruk's left, a shimmering white fey warhorse with a mane of flawless silver comes charging through. Its armor is made of enchanted steel inlaid with gold and glowing with blue light. A holy symbol of Corellon is imprinted on its breastplate. As it passes, Baruk easily vaults up onto its back, despite his heavy armor. Sheathing the rose in his belt again, Baruk takes a note from around the beast's neck, deigning not to open it and instead tucking it into a pocket of his pack. Have any of the rest of you got mounts? he asks, arching an eyebrow at his companions.

Conundrum
2012-03-26, 04:32 AM
Dredge

Dredge raises one eyebrow at the flashy display. "I... no, I don't have a mount. It doesn't sound like we have too far to go, though."

Sol
2012-03-27, 01:45 AM

Rumble looks out at the mortal realm for the first time and hardly notices Baruk's horse until prompted. She looks preoccupied and a bit nervous.

"Ah, no. It's still hard for me to imagine anything but the earth bearing my weight without being crushed. So for now at least, I'd prefer to feel the dirt between my toes."

Looking at Rumble's feet, it's impossible to tell which lumps of soil are her toes, and which lumps of soil are between them. She frowns and speaks again.

"This place...the earth is strange here, as if it has no voice, or at least has long forgotten how to use it. I...I had heard tales, but I always assumed the tellers were mistaken. Tell me, Paladin, is it true that in this world trees are just wood, rivers are just water, and mountains just rock?" She shudders at the thought.

"Let's get moving, I'd like to get away from this place as soon as possible."

Shadow_Elf
2012-03-27, 08:13 AM
Baruk
The paladin nods. Yes. Compared to the living beauty of the Feywild, the Material must feel dead to your Fey senses. But I assure you, it is not. This plane has another kind of life to it; the rivers, trees and mountains do not live or think, but the spirits that flow among them surely do. The Primal Spirits guard this world against trespass, and they are alive in all the things of this plane, he explains to Rumble. The tribe I lived with long ago knew these spirits well. They were often called upon by our medicine men to help alleviate wounds and protect from harm. If there's one thing Gruumsh is not good at, it is healing magic, he adds, with the slightest hint of a scowl. If we enter combat, I would prefer to be riding Auldfaxe. However, we can keep pace with the rest of you; let us go.

Conundrum
2012-03-28, 02:33 PM
Dredge

Dredge, for one, actually seems relieved to be on the material side. "At least here, I don't expect to be able to hear the land sing," he mutters. "We should think about what we're going to do when we reach the camp," he says, speaking louder now. "I can be quiet, and move swiftly through trees if needed. I would volunteer to scout ahead once we get near, if nobody has any better ideas?"

Nai_Calus
2012-03-29, 05:48 PM
The journey up the river isn't particularly difficult, though you do find yourselves a bit wet on a couple of occasions where the best way ahead proves to be wading in a shallow part of the river rather than fighting underbrush, and a few times the more keen-eyed among you notice elves watching you silently from the trees.

The mortal world isn't as vibrant as the Feywild, and things seem far less alive here, but it's still a beautiful journey. The afternoon sun sparkles off the river's water, a thousand points of glimmering light like fairy candles illuminating its translucent surface as you catch glimpses of fish swimming past beneath. The light breaks through the forest canopy, tinting the air with the heady green of spring. The song of the birds, if not as organized as in the feywild, is still a bright, cheerful thing, as petals from spring blossoms drift down overhead.

Salera's estimation of the journey time proves to be correct, and near sunset you hear faintly in the distance the sounds of chanting and a bizarre, guttural, deep form of singing.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-30, 01:43 PM
Tabita, for the entire journey, has an expression of mild distaste on her face. She doesn't complain, but instead mutters to herself, making up formulas for potions.

Sol
2012-03-31, 12:27 AM

As the party nears the cultists' compound, Rumble signals for everyone to be still and quiet. "We should go no further before scouting what we're up against. Are you prepared to take a look now, Dredge? Or do you need to wait for morning? The cover of night may be in our favor for scouting, but could make combat tricky for those of us unaccustomed to the dark."

Shadow_Elf
2012-04-01, 05:45 PM
Baruk
There was once a time when I could sneak up on a deer and spear it through the heart before it knew I was there. However, this armour clanks and rustles noisily and I am badly out of practice. I think it would be wise for some of us with better stealth skills to try and get a glimpse of the cultists' captives. He looks to Rumble and grins, If they are not wild fey beasts bent on eating us, we can ride to their rescue. Otherwise, we can leave here knowing that the missing children are likely captured by our other suspect. He looks up into the treetops. I know you do not trust me, brother elves, despite the symbol of Corellon on my mount. Worry not; I shall be out of your woods before long, he assures the elves he cannot see but knows are there.

Sol
2012-04-02, 02:18 AM

Rumble looks at Baruk quizzically but then grins her too-toothy grin. "Your tree friends, if indeed they're up there, could undoubtedly tell us the answer to that at far less a risk. Wood elves are far stealthier and have eyes far keener than Mountains, after all. And I doubt they hate their cousins enough to enjoy watching eladrlings suffer."

Servbot
2012-04-02, 09:25 AM
Tajal

The Warlock shrugs apathetically to the entire ordeal. Elves watching them from the trees are about as characteristically paranoid as Dwarves burying themselves and their hoard in some Lolthblessed hole in the ground.

That is to say, they're both equally weird.

"Relying on these elves to be our eyes and ears, is it?" Tajal looks about uneasily. "Regardless of our prior engagements, I think it would be far better to investigate the source of the chant ourselves... in force, if need be."

Arcana check to try and detect whether rituals are being (ab)used: [roll0]
Arcana check to see if the patron knows anything? [roll1]

Conundrum
2012-04-03, 08:43 AM
Dredge

Dredge nods. "Yes, I can stealthily approach and see what I can see. If I think they've detected me, I can teleport away before they have a chance to discern my location."

If noone objects, Dredge moves as quietly as possible in the direction of the chanting, ready to teleport away at a moment's notice.

Stealth: [roll0]
Readied action: Daily item power, Boots of the Dryad.
Move Action
Teleport 4 squares to a square adjacent to a tree, treant or plant of your size or larger.
Trigger: If I notice that the cultists have noticed me, I'll teleport four squares to the tree furthest from the cultists and immediately hide.

Perception roll if needed for anything: [roll1]

Also, sorry if I'm a bit slow for the next few days - I'm in the Alps, internet access is a bit spotty, and it seems like my email notifications are broken :smallannoyed:

Nai_Calus
2012-04-07, 09:58 AM
Tajal detects that there is a ritual of some sort going on, but can't determine exactly what kind.

Dredge slips quietly through the trees, as though he were nothing more than a mere shadow. Upon reaching the clearing by the waterfall, he sees the entrance to a cave. Ringing the clearing are chanting cultists, surrounding a great bonfire. They wear strangely decorated emerald robes. Tied up near the bonfire are several miserable-looking gnomes and eladrin, though these are adults. One of the cultists steps forward, a long ceremonial dagger in his hand, approaching a terrified female gnome who looks up at him with tears in her eyes, begging in Elven to be let go.

"You shall have the honor of being the first sacrifice to summon the great one," he says, throwing back his hood to reveal a human man with short brown hair and a neatly trimmed beard.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-04-07, 07:05 PM
Tabita slips silently through the tress, licking her teeth, her songbow at the ready.

Servbot
2012-04-07, 07:16 PM
Tajal

"There seems to be some ongoing ritual," the Warlock comments, peering in the direction of the lights. Without Dredge's report, however, he's uneasy about just charging ahead. After all, while the element of surprise and recon-in-force are both appealing ideas, he recognises the foolhardiness of charging in with less information than possible.

Conundrum
2012-04-08, 09:14 AM
Dredge

Although his first instinct is to return to the group and leave immediately, Dredge realises that he had better do his due diligence first. He attempts to size up the threat of the cultists and of this mysterious "great one".

How many cultists are there, and how well armed?

History: [roll0]
Religion: [roll1]
Use whichever is more appropriate for the great one, I guess

Nai_Calus
2012-04-09, 12:24 AM
OOC:

There are about a dozen, most with ceremonial daggers, but you don't immediately see any real weapons.

You can think of several political figures and a few stories of people and entities who have been referred to as The Great One, but it seems doubtful that politicians or fey would have cultists.

Conundrum
2012-04-09, 01:16 AM
Dredge

Very well... Dredge thinks to himself, before slipping back through the trees to the group.

When he reaches them, he speaks in hushed tones. "There are a few adult gnome and eladrin prisoners, and a dozen human cultists. They don't appear well armed, but they could still wield dangerous magic. They're performing some kind of ritual - they think they'll summon something called 'the great one'."

He pauses, knowing his next statement will be unpopular. "Unless someone can convince me that this ritual or its potential target poses a legitimate threat, I think we should mind our own business here and prepare for our real job."

Shadow_Elf
2012-04-09, 10:21 AM
Baruk
I will convince you of nothing, Dredge. The right thing to do here is help those people; if none of you are interested in doing that, then I shall do it myself, Baruk declares. He places his helm on his head, draws his lance and heavy shield, and Auldfaxe charges forward towards the clearing at full speed.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-04-09, 10:46 AM
Tabita grins and tries to put an arrow through the head of the bearded human.

Attack: [roll0]

Hit: [roll1]

Afterwards, she invokes words of magic to bolster her allies.

Bolstering Speech (At-will)
Martial - Minor - Personal
Effect: Until the end of the encounter or until you use another bard at-will attack power, your skald’s aura gains the following effect: Each time you hit an enemy with a basic attack, one of your allies in the aura gains temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier.

Sol
2012-04-09, 11:15 AM

Watching Baruk charge off, Rumble sighs and turns to the remaining party members. "I suppose we should go put a stop to this nonsense."

As she walks towards the clearing, she scoops up a handful of leaves and throws them into the air. Rather than falling, they swirl around her endlessly. Selecting a twig, she whispers softly at it, and then pulls, twists, and shapes it into the recognizable form of her war pick.

Defender Aura and Shadow-Wrought weapon summoned!

Nai_Calus
2012-04-11, 04:08 AM
Tabita's arrow goes wide, but the cultist jumps in surprise as it sails past even as Baruk urges Auldfaxe onwards.

Map, for now:

http://www.iankunx.net/terriblemap.jpg

Green gems are cultists. Purple gems are gnomes, blue are eladrin. Y'all have initiative and are back in the trees on the left a bit. I'll try to get a better map up soon.

Shadow_Elf
2012-04-11, 07:20 AM
Baruk
The silver-clad knight charges into the clearing, unleashing a primal roar as Auldfaxe adjusts it's heading and makes a beeline for the cultist about to sacrifice a gnome.

Minor Action: Defender Aura on
Move Action: Get onto map @ A16-B15
Standard Action: Charge cultist in H11 from F11-G10. With Holy Smite.

Attack Roll: [roll0] Vs AC.
Hit: [roll1] damage and dazed uemnt

Servbot
2012-04-11, 09:16 AM
Tajal

With a sigh and a shake of his head, the eladrin also advances. Allies charging so recklessly into battle... a surest sign of stupidity if ever he saw it, but he had to admit to wanting to halt the ritual himself, if only because summonings never quite appear benevolent.

The Warlock emerges from the trees, firing off a bolt of energy at a nearby cultist, but not before placing a curse upon the cultist.

Move: to C-5. I assume this is three squares from my starting position and gain concealment.
Minor: curse cultist at G-9. I have a +2 to defences against his attacks.
Standard: eldritch blast.
Attack: [roll0] vs Reflex.
Damage: [roll1] untyped damage, plus [roll2] curse damage.

Servbot
2012-04-11, 09:17 AM
Tajal

Tajal's blast hits with devastating power.

Crit dice: [roll0] extra damage, and original attack becomes 10+12+6, for a total of 28 damage plus whatever I roll now.

Sol
2012-04-12, 09:30 AM
A howl of wind surrounds Rumble as she charges through the trees, kicking more leaves up into the vortex which surrounds her, caking some of them onto her skin, and bending the trees slightly out of her way.

As she clears the treeline, Rumble quickly assesses the situation. Hoping to stay closer to her allies than in the barfight, but not wanting to leave a flank undefended, she heads for the nearest unengaged target to the north.

"I don't think I'm the great one you meant, but you have summoned me nonetheless" she echoes out at the cultists. "You have two choices now. Let these Fey go, or die here tonight."

With that, she swings her Pick viciously at her target.

I am assuming unless told otherwise that we don't have action points.
Minor Action: Stoneskin Cloth Armor: I gain 5 THP.
Move and Standard: Charge the I6 cultist (not worrying too much about where i started specifically) ending in H5.
Attack: [roll0]

Rumble is at 62/62 HP with 5 THP and has 26 AC.

Conundrum
2012-04-14, 08:09 AM
Dredge watches in amazement as everyone goes dashing blindly into the trees. He mutters a curse, wondering what happened to common sense, before chasing after them -albeit more carefully. As he runs through the dappled sunlight, some of the shadows pool and coalesce as a dagger in his free hand.

When he emerges from the treeline, he adjusts so that he can use a nearby rock for cover if need be. He then points his staff towards one of the cultists and concentrates. At least I can practice controlling this magic, he muses. A blast of energy leaps from the tip of the staff, generating quite a lot of recoil.

Move: to C15
Minor: Summon shadow-wrought weapon
Standard: Chaos Bolt vs cultist at I13.
Attack: [roll0] vs Will
Damage: [roll1] psychic

Extra attacks if needed
[roll2]
[roll3]

Extra damage rolls if needed
[roll4]
[roll5]

Well, they're not. No chaos effect either, and probably a miss haha.

Nai_Calus
2012-04-17, 10:37 PM
The party emerges suddenly from the trees before the cultists can get their bearings.

Baruk's valiant charge goes awry, but his holy power does not fail him entirely and he successfully draws the leader's attention away from the helpless bound gnome, the man changing the direction of his dagger thrust towards Baruk instead. The blade sinks in through a chink in Baruk's armor, wounding him slightly but doing no major damage.

Tajal lets loose a bolt a bolt of eldritch energy that slams into an unprepared cultist with such dazzling, stunning force that the man is instantly vaporized into a fine red mist, unrecognizable tatters of what were once his robes fluttering pathetically to the ground as he dies.

Rumble fares better on her charge than Baruk did, and another cultist goes down before the swing of her pick, the sharp point sinking deep into an eyesocket as he gapes in surprise.

Tabita seems disoriented and looks around, thinking.

Dredge's surge of wild magic makes a pretty shower of sparks, but has no effect otherwise.

The cultists split up, some rushing the party, some continuing to chant, still trying to complete the ritual. Two find their mark, striking blows home on Dredge and Rumble with their ceremonial daggers. Another slips towards the prisoners, blade in hand, apparently trying to decide which to go for first.

"Kill them! Spill their blood for the great one!" The leader urges, waving his bloodied dagger about in the air. "Add them to the sacrifice!"

http://www.iankunx.net/cultround2.jpg

Baruk: F10-G11, 9 damage
Dredge: C15, 8 damage
Rumble: H5, 8 damage
Tabita: A8
Tajal: C5

Cult Leader: H11, 7 damage
Cultists: J5, G12, K12, D15, P4, T5, V8, U12, R15

Dice rolls:

Cult leader vs Baruk: [roll0] vs AC, on hit [roll1]
I5 cultist vs Rumble: [roll2] vs AC, 8 damage.
G12 cultist vs Auldfaxe: [roll3] vs AC, 8 damage
D15 cultist vs Dredge: [roll4] vs AC, 8 damage
P4 cultist vs Rumble: [roll5] vs Ref, 7 damage

Sol
2012-04-18, 12:22 AM

Rumble watches the scene unfolding and decides to intervene before the prisoners get hurt. Her eons of watching the Fomorians torture their prisoners beneath her roots flashes before her, and she feels her fury rise up to just beneath the surface. "Stop them!" she screams at her allies.

Turning towards the cultist who stabbed her moments ago, she grins. "Don't worry, I'll be back for you." she promises, while sprinting around Auldfaxe and taking a momentary position near Baruk and the Leader.

"I've heard that autumn goes by a different name here sometimes, is that true? No, no, don't tell me. Let's play a game. Would you be so kind as to act it out?"

After she speaks, she brings the palm of her hand to her lips and blows gently across it, spraying hundreds of leaves in the faces of the nearby cultists. "Ah yes," she giggles, "Fall. Bye!" and off she darts, running past them while swinging her Pick at the fool attacking the prisoners, aiming to skewer his head, in one ear and out the other.

Move: To G11, in a manner which provokes only from the I5 cultist.
Minor: Earthshock Vs the Leader ([roll0]) and the G12 Cultist ([roll1]) Vs Fort.
Hit: Prone.
Effect: I gain 9 THP.
Standard: Charge the J12 Cultist ending in I12 (does not provoke OAs). ([roll2]) Vs AC.
Hit: [roll3] damage.

Rumble is at 59/62 HP and has 9 Temps. Or she is at 51/62 HP and has 9 Temps, depending on if I5's OA hit her.

Servbot
2012-04-18, 05:22 AM
Tajal

Unperturbed, the Eladrin Warlock continues his assault on the cultists.

Standard: eldritch blast at I-5 cultist, preferably before Rumble's movement but understanding if it isn't.
Attack roll: [roll0] (+1 from my Warlock curse)
Damage roll: [roll1]

Move action: C8, gain concealment with shadow walk.

Minor Action: Curse G12 cultist.

Conundrum
2012-04-18, 08:06 AM
Dredge

As Dredge fails to dodge the cultist's dagger, his eyes literally flash with anger. Almost against his will, his form dissolves into sparks and darts between the cultists, delivering painful shocks to each he passes through.

He regains his normal form beside the cultist leader. Some residual electricity gathers around his shadow-wrought dagger and it moves faster than the eye can follow, slashing dozens of times in a fraction of a second. Finally, he deftly spins away from the leader, hoping to create some distance and avoid any retaliation.

Standard: Spark Form.
Shift as follows: D15 - E14 - F13 - G12 - H11 - I12 - J12 - I12 (Shift 8 total).
Spark form attack against the following target's reflex defenses:
D15 Cultist: [roll0], damage: [roll1] lightning.
G12 Cultist: [roll2], damage: [roll3] lightning.
I11 Leader: [roll4] 26 (Elven Accuracy re-roll, see OOC), damage: [roll5] lightning.
J12 Cultist: [roll6], damage: [roll7] lightning.

Minor: Lightning Cuts vs I11 Leader.
Attack: [roll8] vs Reflex.
Damage: [roll9] lightning.

Move: Shift to J13 (or J11 if the guy there is prone and considered an ally).

Chaos Burst effect: Saving throw again :smallannoyed: apparently I can never roll even numbers! But I bet I'll roll even when I do need saving throws!

Shadow_Elf
2012-04-22, 06:53 PM
Baruk
Seeing Dredge rip apart some of the cultists with his storm magic, Baruk has Auldfaxe retreat, taking a passing blow from the lead cultist if he is so inclined. I end this now. Honour to the Seldarine! he spurs the horse into motion and tries to run down the leader with his lance once again.

Move Action: Move Back. He can AoO either Auldfaxe or me, but not both
Standard Action: Charge back in, putting myself in a square that won't interfere with Rumble's turn retroactively, I guess.

Attack Roll: [roll0], +2 more if I have CA
Use Furious Assault on a hit. Use Valiant Charge on a hit. Use Holy Smite regardless (since I have to declare it first)
Hit: [roll1] damage and dazed and immobilized both UEMNT.

Nai_Calus
2012-04-27, 05:46 PM
Rumble charges ahead, easily throwing off the annoyances before her, slamming a cultist out of existence with her pick after shoving the leader to the ground with a quick shake of the ground beneath his feet.

Tajal quickly blasts the cultist who tried to attack Rumble as she ran in, disintegrating the man.

Dredge cuts a bloody swath of destruction across the battlefield, dropping two of the cultists before cutting deeply into the leader, lightning sizzling around him in a haze of crackling electricity.

Baruk moves Auldfaxe back, easily laughing off a pathetic attempt to attack him, and charges in anew, stabbing down at the end of his movement to attack the prone leader with a furious attack that gores the man through, wresting a shout of pain from his lips. Ethereal tentacles explode from the man's body, but he's too shocked by the force of the blow to put them to any use and they fall limp.

He quickly rallies, though, and slams them at his attackers. Baruk is too high for him to reach, but the tentacles successfully wrap around Auldfaxe, the suckers harming the noble steed and knocking him to the ground as three of the remaining cultists run in to attack, though only one manages to land a blow. Two of them on the far side of the bonfire break off and run into the cave as the leader screams incoherently in an incomprehensible language that makes your head hurt to listen to.

Map: http://t.co/nDn409sg

Baruk: G9-H10. Auldfaxe, 16 damage + prone
Dredge: J11
Rumble: H12, 29 damage, slowed.
Tabita: A8
Tajal: C8

Cult Leader: H11, 74 damage, prone, immobilized, dazed.
Cultists: I8, I13, J13

Dice rolls:

I15 cultist AoO: [roll0] vs AC, 8 damage.
Leader AoO: [roll1] vs AC, [roll2]
Leader bloodied trigger, close burst 3, vs Will, triggered by Baruk:
vs Auldfaxe: [roll3]
vs Baruk: [roll4]
vs Rumble: [roll5]
vs Gnome 1: [roll6]
vs Gnome 2: [roll7]
vs Gnome 3: [roll8]
vs Eladrin 1: [roll9]
vs Eladrin 2: [roll10]
vs Eladrin 3: [roll11]
vs Eladrin 4: [roll12]
Hit: [roll13] and target is slowed until EONT

Tabita: Miss, see OOC.

Leader:
Close Blast 3, reflex, vs Auldfaxe: [roll14] vs Baruk: [roll15] On hit: [roll16] and target is knocked prone.

Cultists:
vs Auldfaxe: [roll17], 8 damage
vs Rumble: [roll18], 8 damage
vs Rumble: [roll19], 8 damage

Sol
2012-04-27, 07:34 PM

As the cultist stabs at Rumble, he hits nothing but a bunch of leaves, which burst forth, surrounding Baruk and the Cultists and providing them an opportunity to move while the Leader is distracted.

The mountain turns her focus to the leader with her eyes glowing bright blue and frowns slightly. "Perhaps I should have clarified. Stay down!" she shouts, as she swings her pick at his left kneecap.

Assuming Rumble only took 8 damage last round, she sits at 59/62 HP with 1 THP remaining.

Minor Action: Natural Terrain Understanding - Burst 3
Effect: Each ally in the burst gains a +2 power bonus to AC and can
shift 2 squares as a free action. This should affect Baruk, Auldfaxe, and the prisoners.

Move Action: Minor Action: Unseelie Eyes
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, I gain Darkvision. Additionally,
as a Free Action, I can toggle on/off a CB2 of Bright Light from my Eyes.

Standard Action: Batter Down Vs the Leader
[roll0] vs AC, [roll1] damage and prone on a hit.

Conundrum
2012-04-29, 04:53 PM
Dredge

Temporarily exhilarated by his own display of power, Dredge spins on the spot, looking for a new target. Noticing his now-central position, he focuses his mind on the surviving cultists, seeking an opening into their minds. When he finds one, he lets loose a blast of psychic energy.

When he reopens his eyes, he notices Rumble's eyes taking on a golden sheen. Curious... he notes, as with a blink he activates his own Unseelie gift and attempts to catch the mountain's attention.

At the same time, he manoeuvres closer to the fire, eager to be away from the leader should he regain his footing.

Standard: Bedeviling Burst
Attack vs Cultist J13: [roll0] vs Will
Attack vs Cultist Leader: [roll1] vs Will
(Use second attack against Cultist I13 if the leader is dead, but I doubt it).
Damage: [roll2] psychic.
Won't bother with push/slide regardless of roll result.

Minor: Unseelie Eyes

Move: to L13.

Chaos Burst effect: +1 AC (for a total of 21).

Servbot
2012-04-30, 06:09 PM
Tajal

The Warlock calmly continues his assault. The others seem to be in a fair bit more trouble than this, but Tajal sees no real need to break out his stronger, more exhausting spells. After all, these are but rabble, waiting to be mowed down like peons.

Move: To C15.
Minor: Curse nearest enemy. I-13?
Standard: eldritch blast I-8 cultist.
Attack Roll: [roll0], +1 from Pact Boon included.
Damage Roll: [roll1]

Shadow_Elf
2012-05-01, 08:53 PM
Baruk
With Rumble's Guidance, Baruk and Auldfaxe both make their way out of the fight and stand up. Baruk then vaults back onto the horse's back. He points his lance at the cultist. Your Master does not belong in this world. My lance shall be the end of your villainy, he says, in a voice echoing divine power. The Seldarine shall not permit his entry into this world! Everyone and everything present understands the meaning of his words, as if translated into the language they are most accustomed to.

Free Action (Off-Turn): Shift Baruk and Auldfaxe back, putting Auldfaxe in E10-F9
Move Action: Stand Up
Auldfaxe Move Action: Stand Up
Standard Action: Mount Auldfaxe

OOC: Auldfaxe has Impenetrable Barding, which grants him Resist 5 All. And my armor gives me Resist 1 All. Not sure if those are factored into your damage calculations. The gold text is to represent Baruk speaking in Supernal, the language of the gods.

Nai_Calus
2012-05-04, 10:39 PM
Rumble slams her pick into the skull of the cult's leader, sending him reeling. A quick burst of magic from Dredge sends both him and a cultist reeling, falling to the ground, even as a blast from Tajal causes yet another cultist to implode in a sickening rush of tentacles.

The remaining cultist, now alone, screams an incomprehensible phrase and tries to throw himself into the fire, seemingly seeking to use himself as a sacrifice.

Nai_Calus
2012-05-04, 10:40 PM
(OOC: Casting Summon New Page. We are now out of combat, feel free to attempt to stop this guy and explore.)

Shadow_Elf
2012-05-08, 03:25 PM
Baruk
Your Master shall not receive a single sacrifice this day, rumbles Baruk, holstering his lance and kicking Auldfaxe into a charge. He backhands the mad cultist with his gauntleted fist en passant, aiming to knock the man out. That done, he turns to his companions. Let us put out this blasphemous fire and get some answers now, eh?

Figured since the "encounter" is over, I didn't need to roll an attack roll. Reason I didn't run him through is to question him; I have no qualms with ending him afterwards, he is a madman and a kidnapper and gods-know what else after all.

Nai_Calus
2012-05-10, 12:44 AM
Baruk's timely charge stops the cultist cold in his tracks, knocking him to the ground.

"You... You saved us! Thank you so much!" The gnome who had been about to go under the knife when you arrived smiles at you joyfully, and a chorus of agreement comes up from the other prisoners.

"Please free us," a male Eladrin chimes in, his blue eyes pained. "These horrible chains burn so..."

Shadow_Elf
2012-05-11, 01:40 PM
Baruk
As non-Fey, I can touch the Cold Iron without harm, says Baruk, approaching the prisoners and dismounting. He searches the cult leader for a key to the manacles; failing that, he tries to determine the mechanism by which they are opened.

Conundrum
2012-05-11, 02:31 PM
Dredge

Dredge sighs as Baruk walks away from the surviving cultist without so much as a thought to securing the captive. He moves in quickly before the man has a chance to attempt escape, aiming a threatening finger at his throat.

The blackened finger crackles with energy as Dredge begins to speak in a gravelly, menacing tone. "Tell me quickly, if you value your life - who or what were you trying to summon here, and what have you done with the eladrin children?"

Intimidate: [roll0]

Servbot
2012-05-11, 09:32 PM
Tajal

For his part, the Warlock does fairly nothing. The others seem well-handled to, well, handle the situation well.

"If I may add," he says, "it would be interesting to know what you were attempting here."

Nai_Calus
2012-05-12, 07:01 AM
Baruk:

The leader has a key on him, but it very obviously from the size and make doesn't go to the locks on the chains binding the prisoners; the key is large and crude and rusted whereas the locks are small, well-made and in excellent condition. The Bloodied Leaves, whatever their many sins may be, at the least sell extremely high-quality merchandise. Unfortunately, the quality means it's going to be rather difficult to pick the locks, though it's likely the keys are somewhere in the cave the two cultists that ran earlier entered.

Dredge and Tajal:

The cultist, initially stunned by the attack, looks up at you and backs up a bit on the ground in discomfort, obviously unsettled by the revenant's stern manner and strange appearance. His face twists in confused dismissal.

"Children? Children do not serve the purpose needed for this, the Great One needs older souls, stronger souls! When the Great One comes, she will pave the way for the Ones From Beyond and this flawed world will be destroyed and remade in glory, and we shall be remade as well and rule it forever!" He laughs maniacally, rocking back and forth as he begins speaking in an indecipherable language that almost hurts your ears to listen to. "You fools have ruined this attempt, but we will rise again and the Great One will come and then you will be sorry! And we are not the only ones! Haha no, no, it will happen! You! You understand, do you not? Yes, yes you must understand, I can feel it from you! Tell these fools!" He shrieks in delighted madness, grabbing Tajal's clothing as he speaks, and returns to his insane gibbering.

Conundrum
2012-05-12, 08:47 AM
Dredge

"They're clearly insane," Dredge announces, not bothering to mask his contempt. "I'd say that we should kill any survivors just to put them out of their misery, but judging from their combat prowess they don't pose any real threat."

He turns to Tajal, curious despite himself. He affects a droll tone as he sarcastically insists, "Go on, warlock, tell us! Tell us of our impending doom!"

Servbot
2012-05-12, 10:26 PM
Tajal

Tajal shrugs, giving the cultist a whack with his rod to settle him down. "If there is doom I am meant to know of, I fear I must disappoint you," he says. Nonetheless, he inquires with his patron, or attempts to, about this 'Great One' and if it is a plot they should move to foil.

Arcana for the check: [roll0]

Shadow_Elf
2012-05-13, 10:16 PM
Baruk
I can see no keys to these manacles. The art of locksmithing is not something I learned on the plains, or in my days as a squire; have any of you a set of lockpicks and the knowledge to use them that can touch this Cold Iron? he asks. Seeing Tajal and Dredge bantering over the prisoner, Baruk grins. I've a few more questions from him, my spellslinging friends, but after that we can put the man out of his madness.

Conundrum
2012-05-14, 02:21 AM
Dredge

Dredge shrugs and turns away, letting his trigger finger relax. "Do what you want, just be quick about it. I would love to help open those manacles just to keep things moving, but I'm afraid I'm no more skilled in the arts of burglary than you are. Perhaps I could blast them open?" he asks, a glimmer of mischief in his eyes as power once again coils around his hand.

Sol
2012-05-14, 10:14 AM
Rumble

Well, friends, it looks like we'll have to look inside. She turns to the prisoners and asks if they would prefer to follow or to stay here.

Nai_Calus
2012-05-15, 01:19 AM
Tajal:

A familiar eldritch voice whispers in your mind, it's touch like a familiar soft caress.

"The time is not yet right, and these fools know not what they are doing. Find them. Stop them. They oppose us and speak of a terrible being which must not be loosed."

"No! No! But you know of what I speak! You know the entities beyond where the Great One dwells! Tell them! TELL THEM!" The cultist shrieks and convulses with mad laughter as the gnomish female shudders. She looks down at the chains that bind her hands and her feet, and at the others who are all in similar straits.

"I don't really want to be alone out here, but it's almost impossible to walk like this..." The others nod, and a few look at Dredge in horror as he suggests blasting the chains off, afraid of being hurt by the blast.

Conundrum
2012-05-15, 05:42 AM
Dredge

While the others decide what to do about the prisoners and the cave, Dredge idly wanders around the campsite, searching the other cultists in case they were holding something useful or valuable.

Servbot
2012-05-15, 10:39 AM
Tajal

Tajal shakes his head. "I have no wit of what you speak," he lies, "and I would rather you start babbling about how we free these people, and what stupidity your ilk is up to so that we can visit upon them some... closure."

He eyes the others. "I think it in our best interest to also move to stop these buffoons from whatever it is they are doing; sorcery and madness do not often join hands to walk the path of benevolence."

Bluff to lie: [roll0]
Ah, was bound to fail once.

Shadow_Elf
2012-05-15, 10:53 AM
Baruk
Smiling helplessly at the prisoners for whom he can do little, Baruk turns to the laughing cultist. A man who does not fear death is a dangerous man. But there are fates worse than death. When I lived among the Blackhand clan, the capture of an elf was a celebrated thing. They were reviled by the orcs, and thought undeserving of death by steel. The method in which we sacrificed them to Gruumsh was unpleasant... Perhaps, if you tell is what we need to know, I might be encouraged to forget this ritual....

Nai_Calus
2012-05-17, 07:17 AM
Dredge:

They don't really have anything of value on them, though you do find a letter from one's mother he apparently carried around. Reading it reveals it to be a desperate plea for him to come home. You do notice that all of the cultists have rather odd features that seem to be somehow... Off, though it's difficult to put a finger on exactly how.

Everyone else:

The cultist shrinks into himself as Baruk threatens him, whimpering a little before making up his mind.

"Fine, fine! He lies to you but you ignore it! I will help, then, that he might see the glory of the Great One before you fools kill me and spread the word! Come, come!" He stands and moves towards the cave, beckoning for you to follow.

Conundrum
2012-05-17, 07:31 AM
Dredge

Dredge discards of the letter, and turns to keep a close eye on the cultist as he ushers the group towards the cave. He follows at a safe distance, ready to blast the lunatic should he make any sudden movements.

Shadow_Elf
2012-05-18, 01:14 AM
Baruk
You can take us on a tour later, fool. I want you to answer some questions. First, where is the key to these manacles your prisoners wear?

Nai_Calus
2012-05-18, 02:53 AM
The cultist gives another of his mad laughs.

"Fool! Fool! The fool calls me a fool!" He grins. "The key is inside, foolish creature, why would we keep it out here where it isn't needed?"

Nai_Calus
2012-05-21, 05:16 PM
"For wanting so many questions answered, you ask so few. Come, come then, let us get the key and I will answer so that you will understand why we must summon the Great One!"

Shadow_Elf
2012-05-21, 11:54 PM
Baruk
I was not done, little man. The oversized key on your leader's person. What does it open? And why were fey captives needed for this dread ritual? Surely human villagers would have been easier to fetch, he rumbles, smirking at the cultist's impatience.

OOC: As much as I would hate to waste good items like Cold Iron Manacles, could we smash them open? I'm not keen on dragging these poor folk into what could very well be a trap.

Nai_Calus
2012-05-22, 04:52 PM
"The key is for the Great One. She will take it to the glorious island where all lies in wait for the Ones from Beyond and open the gate!" His eyes blaze with triumph. "Then they will come through to this plane and we and all the worlds will be remade in their image." He grins. "Fey are tricksy, yes? They slip between worlds and hide themselves in plain sight! Just the thing to summon the Great One!"

OOC:

You think you probably could with enough effort, but it might harm the wearer to do so unless done very carefully. DC 23 Strength check to break it, but unless it's done on the chain it'll also need a DC 16 Dexterity check to do it in just the right place to not injure the wearer.

Shadow_Elf
2012-05-23, 02:52 PM
Baruk
I do not wish to draw you into their lair, but I also do not wish to leave you out here unattended, says Baruk, turning to the prisoners. Elves of the forest! We have done your duty for you and protected your woods. I ask that you watch over your cousins while we rid the realm of these madmen more completely, he booms to the trees. He waits for a wood elf to reveal themselves.

Nai_Calus
2012-05-24, 07:08 AM
A figure slips out of the trees after a moment, but this particular figure is no wood elf. A slim, delicate drow woman wearing nothing but a gauzy translucent shift and a sword belt emerges from the shadows and smiles at you.

"Well met, brother, and well-done. These cultists have threatened these woods for far too long. Have no fear, I and my sisters will watch over the prisoners while you attend to your business." A couple of the Eladrin sneer at her presence, but one of them breaks into a grin and looks relieved. The cultist, meanwhile, joins in the sneering.

"Bah! Foul dancer! Yes, yes, the foul one will watch your precious little prisoners, let us get away from her and to business! Soon you will understand why the Great One must be summoned!" He spits and starts walking towards the cave.

Conundrum
2012-05-24, 07:16 AM
Dredge

Dredge raises an eyebrow at the appearance of the drow woman, and especially at the cultist's reaction, but otherwise remains silent. However, it becomes apparently that he is growing increasingly impatient to move into the cave. As far as he's concerned, he's already done more than enough to help these prisoners; he doesn't need to be wasting any more of his time waiting for them to be "safe".

EDIT: Apparently you can't use the word I originally tried to use in place of "raises", there. Technically it contains a bad word, I guess, but it's still a totally valid verb!

Shadow_Elf
2012-05-24, 08:51 AM
Baruk
I trust them to your care, sister. He turns back to the cultist. Lead the way, so that we may end this madness.

Nai_Calus
2012-05-25, 07:42 AM
The drow woman nods. "It is the will of the Dark Maiden that all who need aid be given it, and I shall make sure that they are protected." She kneels next to the prisoners and begins to check them for wounds.

"Yes, let us go within. Yes yes yes." He grabs Tajal's hand and drags the warlock behind him. "Soon you will understand!"

As you enter the cave, you go down a slightly sloping tunnel for several dozen feet before you emerge into a large chamber. The chamber is magically illuminated with various globes of light floating about seemingly at random, their light a dizzying array of colours that all seem slightly off. Rather than the filthy, decrepit mess one might expect from a cave inhabited by mad cultists, the sight of the chamber takes your breath away. Fifty feet tall and nearly three times as long, it stretches out before you, glistening stalactites and curtains of stone dripping from the ceiling and hanging down the walls, lumpy stalagmites and columns rising gracefully from the floor, and a tiered descent of little pools of water that perfectly reflect the scene above flows down one side of the cavern. You can see several holes of darkness where side passages come off, and in the center is a great altar formed from a massive stalagmite, a great bound tome sitting atop an ornate stand upon it.

There's no sign of the cultists who fled into the cave, but it seems likely they went down a side passage. Certainly there don't seem to be any sort of living accommodations in this central room, or anywhere that prisoners might have been kept. The room seems to have been entirely ceremonial, decorated solely with nature's splendor and a few hanging banners with strange designs on them. The only sounds are the cultist's mad giggles and a slow, steady drip of water from the ceiling.

"Here! Here it is! The holy book! Read, read!"

Conundrum
2012-05-25, 07:51 AM
Dredge

The beauty and splendour of the chamber is lost to Dredge's cynicism. He advances on the altar, and unless someone stops him, opens it to investigate its (surely nonsensical) contents.

Additionally, if Tajal attempts to read the book either before or with him, Dredge tries to stop him, distrustful of the warlock's possible familiarity with the power the cultists seek to harness.

Arcana: [roll0] to identify any magical aura around the book.
Arcana: [roll1] to identify any spells or rituals contained within the book.
Religion: [roll2] (if I'm allowed to roll this untrained) to identify the true religious nature of the book, if any.

Nai_Calus
2012-05-26, 08:51 AM
The book indeed radiates magic, of a strange sort you've never seen before. As you peruse its contents, a disturbing trend emerges. Each page you turn to seems initially filled with nothing but strange, incomprehensible symbols, but they almost immediately resolve into perfectly structured Elven that reads as if a native speaker had written it.

The tome speaks in glowing, loving terms of the Ones from Beyond, unfathomable creatures from outside the multiverse who, if summoned, will remake the worlds in their image and usher in a new golden era of peace and prosperity in which all will be transformed into new forms with new knowledge beyond mortal understanding, and tells of the Great One who will be a harbinger and perform the final summoning to welcome in the Ones from Beyond. The book is filled with strange spells and rituals, many centered around summoning, many of which require the sacrifices of everything from fey to shadow creatures to angels to children.

Conundrum
2012-05-26, 09:02 AM
Dredge

"Oh boy..." Dredge mutters. Although new to the whole magic thing, he can tell when it feels... off.

"I may have underestimated these madmen. Were this an ordinary book, I could shrug off its writings as lunacy; but it is clear the book itself holds some kind of power. However the cultists came across this book, it is likely not the only dangerous thing here. Should we take this book with us, to prevent its rituals being used? Or perhaps simply destroy it?"

Shadow_Elf
2012-05-26, 06:30 PM
Baruk
I would not want the tome to fall into the wrong hands, or all we do today could be undone. We ought to destroy it; the gods may not all be good, but they are certainly more benevolent overseers than the otherworldly beasts these humans serve.

Shadow_Elf
2012-05-29, 01:21 AM
Baruk
If there are no objections, I think Dredge or Tajal ought to burn it with their magic. I would destroy it myself, but though my blade is sharp I doubt it would do much to a tome of that thickness.

Nai_Calus
2012-05-30, 06:20 PM
"Destroy it?! Are you mad?! How dare you blaspheme against the Ones from Beyond!" The cultist screams angrily and grabs Tajal's shirt. "Stop them! Stop their blasphemy!" He turns to Rumble. "You! You are strong, yes? Stop your mad orcling and your psychotic mage!"

Servbot
2012-06-02, 05:46 PM
Tajal

The Warlock eyes the book with some curiousity. "I would rather not try to hastily destroy something of magic," he drawls, "for one is never sure what it is invested with. Some time, surely, can be taken to examine the book?"

So saying, he probes with his magic senses, and ponders if he can detect anything from the book.

Arcana check: [roll0]

Nai_Calus
2012-06-04, 10:18 AM
"I knew you would see sense, my friend!" Exclaims the cultist, thumping Tajal on the back in a gesture of friendly camaraderie.

Tajal:

The book radiates magic that's familiar to you, rather similar to your own. You can tell it has a different source than what you use, however. Even so, it's almost certainly something related to the source of your power.

OOC: Is Tajal reading the book, and if he's attempting to is Dredge letting him? ;)

Conundrum
2012-06-04, 10:21 AM
OOC: Assuming Tajal would like to read the book...

Dredge

Dredge reluctantly hands the book over to Tajal. "I'm watching you closely, though," he warns. "If you suddenly go nuts or something, I will not hesitate to blast you." Brightly coloured magic dances around his fingertips once again.

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-04, 10:24 AM
Baruk
The paladin rolls his eyes. We can take the book with us to peruse at your leisure and destroy it later if you wish, Tajal. I am more concerned with the foes that remain within these caves; for all we know, our "guide" here is just wasting our time here so a trap may be laid elsewhere.

Servbot
2012-06-04, 06:58 PM
Tajal

The Warlock takes the book, shooting a glare at the cultist, before returning to Dredge, "And know that in my madness, I will still retain all the might I command." with a small smile.

He peruses the book in spite of Baruk's protests. "I shall read on the go, if go is what we do, and rest assured I will be ready to blast whatever abomination dares cross our path."

Reading Reading. Arcana just in case: [roll0]

Nai_Calus
2012-06-06, 11:38 PM
Tajal:

As you take the book, it feels warm and comforting in your hands, as if resonating with you in some way. The rituals and spells contained therein feel familiar, yet strange. The book seems to be written in perfectly clear Elven. Several names you recognize are present in the text, listed as among the Ones from Beyond who will remake the world in their image. Still, the macabre components for several of the rituals aren't exactly reassuring, but your patron's name is refreshingly absent from the text except for one page, wherein it is listed as a dire enemy of the Ones from Beyond.

Everyone:

Several passages come off the main cavern. One heads to the north, two to the east and one to the south. The northmost of the eastern passages seems little used, with a spider web across part of it, but the other three show signs of heavy usage. From the dimensions of the rocks outside you guess the southern passage heads towards the river, while the eastern and nothern lead further into the rock. The cultist giggles madly.

"Traps, traps, no no, probably they've run away, the cowards, they do not have proper conviction and belief! Come, come, we keep the keys up here where we keep the prisoners." He gestures to the north.

Servbot
2012-06-07, 01:14 AM
Tajal

The Warlock closes the book with a sigh.

"Truly an unpleasant piece of literature," he remarks, "and yet I feel compelled to research it. The pursuit of magic is never-ending, and the thirst for knowledge unquenchable, as they say."

And perhaps the book could be key to figuring out how to cast these spells without the help of a patron. Still, it is worrisome that these seem to be enemies of his by affiliation. Probably no time to go over the contents in detail now, though.

"And the way north is clear, then, of traps?" He probes with his magical senses in any case.

Arcana to detect magic in the passage north. [roll0]. I love rolling Arcana, can you tell?

Conundrum
2012-06-07, 05:07 AM
Dredge

"If you don't mind, I'll hold on to that for now. You can have it back when there's time to research it properly," Dredge insists, holding out his hand.

He then beckons to the cultist. "Come on then, you go first. I want you walking straight down the middle of the corridor, so if there are any traps, you set them off, not us."

As they approach the cave entrance, he makes sure to keep his eyes open for anything unusual.

Perception: [roll0]
What's the lighting like in the tunnel?

Nai_Calus
2012-06-07, 09:21 AM
Tajal:

There's a faint aura of magic from the tunnel, but you can't make out anything specific.

Dredge:

The tunnel is dark, but the cultist grabs one of the globes illuminating the main cavern to serve as a lantern. You can't put your finger on it, but something about the passage seems strange as you go down it.

Everyone:

The cultist takes one of the globes of light illuminating the main cavern and begins to lead you down the passage. It goes on a ways, twisting and turning a bit as caves tend to do. Even this side passage is lovely, the walls coated with formations like flowing waterfalls of stone, stalactites hanging from overhead.

When you emerge into another chamber, however, it's a sadly different sight. The chamber's formations have been crudely removed, leaving jagged scars, in order to fill the chamber with cages and cells. The room is poorly lit, but while you can make out that most of the cages and cells lie empty and open, you can also make out the huddled figures of several more prisoners. A rough table lies in the center of the room, a set of keys lying on top.

Conundrum
2012-06-09, 10:55 AM
Dredge

Even though the passage seems strange, he can see no particular reason to be concerned, and so continues without hesitation. His guard is up, however.

Dredge ignores the other prisoners, and walks directly to the table with the keys on it. As he walks, he says, "I suppose you lot will want to free these ones, too?"

When he gets to the table he inspects it quickly for any signs of deception or traps, and if he sees none, he picks up the keys.

Perception: [roll0]

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-09, 12:47 PM
Baruk
Certainly, rumbles the half-orc, moving over to the set of keys. He speaks in Elven to the prisoners. Do not be afraid, friends. We are here to free you from these iron chains, he intones, picking up the keys and setting to releasing the prisoners.

Servbot
2012-06-10, 08:41 AM
Tajal

The Warlock watches his two allies set themselves to their tasks with moderate interest, but maintains a constant vigil for signs of magic.

[roll0]

Nai_Calus
2012-06-12, 12:45 AM
Tajal:

There's a strong source of magic in here, some form of illusion meant to conceal something, in the corner of the room behind some of the cages.

The table seems perfectly normal, and as Baruk picks up the keys, nothing untoward happens.

As Baruk unlocks the doors to the cages, the cultist suddenly gives a mad laugh as two figures come running out of the darkness of the tunnel, one of them hitting a hidden switch as he comes into the room that causes the ceiling in the tunnel to give way, filling it with rubble as the other throws down an armful of flasks that shatter on the floor, producing a cloud of thick, oily green vapors that begin to fill the room. Several of the prisoners scream in terror.

"What are you fools doing?! I almost had them ready to convert!"

"You idiot, they won't see the truth. It doesn't matter, the Great One will be summoned! We shall perform the rites here as we all perish and cast off these mortal forms!"

"Just hold still and let these work their magic while we perform the rites!"

You notice the air beginning to become rather difficult to breathe as the cultists begin to chant.

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-12, 12:56 AM
Baruk
Not wasting time with an "I told you so", the half-orc simply roars. CEASE AND DESIST, AND I MAY NOT FLAY YOU ALIVE, CRAVEN SCUM! he roars in tongue of the gods.

Conundrum
2012-06-12, 12:52 PM
Dredge

As soon as it becomes obvious that they've been set up, Dredge launches a quick bolt of acid at the original cultist.

As the gas begins to fill the room, he looks around quickly, trying to determine a number of things: if there is an alternate exit from the cavern, including in the roof; how heavy the rubble is blocking the main exit; the nature of the gas; and any magical effects in the room.

At the same time, he yells "Save your breath, man! These lunatics cannot be reasoned with!"

Attack vs the Cultist that lead us here:
Acid Orb: [roll0] vs Reflex
Damage: [roll1] acid.

Perception: [roll2]
Perception (if two are needed): [roll3]
Arcana (for gas?): [roll4]
Arcana (for magic effects): [roll5]

I think that should be all the rolls you might need...

Servbot
2012-06-14, 09:57 AM
Tajal

I wonder what that illusion hides, Tajal considers as the room is flooding with what he assumes to be a poisonous gas. As best as he can, the Warlock approaches the illusion and attempts to both remove it and pass through it.

Arcana for removal: [roll0]

Nai_Calus
2012-06-16, 06:41 AM
The cultist you came in with recoils in horror from the sound of Baruk's voice, and the two who just came in flinch momentarily, but the newcomers ultimately just laugh.

"We do not fear death, fool knight! We seek it!" sneers one of them, a short, chubby man with a white beard visible below his hood.

"The ritual must be performed properly! It won't work li-" protests the original cultist, only to be cut off by Dredge's magic, his robes sizzling with the acid and his skin burning as he falls to the ground in shock. "-ke this. Run, take the book, it must be done pro..." He lies silent. Through the vapors in the air you can see his face finally, a handsome sandy-haired young man who looks to have been barely an adult, a look of saddened shock frozen on his lifeless face.

"No, no, NO! Must you spoil things that way? Darthen, you fool!" shouts the second of the newcomers, a taller, thinner man.

"Never mind, it will still be enough!" responds the older one, as he covers his face with his robe and the taller man follows suit, the pair chanting.

The prisoners who haven't been freed yet begin to weep in panic, even as the ones who have begin to run about frantically, even as the air grows fouler.

Dredge:

You can't spot any immediate exits, and a quick glance at the rubble through the vapors only reveals it to be a rather large pile, one that doesn't much look like it's going anywhere. The gas itself seems to be quite mundane, but you're reminded of several reagents for alchemy that are said to be quite poisonous, particularly a distillation of the sap from the spiteneedle tree that grows in the darker parts of the Feywild. You have more luck with the magic auras in the cavern, and like Tajal you're able to identify it as illusion magic, presumably hiding something.

Tajal: As you approach the illusion, what seems like a solid stone wall at first proves to be anything but. The illusion itself stays put, resisting your attempts to dispel it, but you're able to put your hand through, finding beyond it a rough stone handle in the rock of the real cavern wall.

(OOC: Everyone takes 10 poison damage from the fumes. For right now this can be averted by using something to filter the air, but you all have a feeling it won't help for long. Six prisoners have been freed, and five more remain in their cells.)

Servbot
2012-06-20, 09:24 PM
Tajal

With morbid curiosity bordering on the insane by ignoring everything around him, Tajal pulls/lowers/interacts with the handle.

Nai_Calus
2012-06-20, 10:52 PM
As Tajal turns the handle, a door opens in the stone of the wall, revealing a small, dark tunnel that stretches away into blackness. It's obviously disused, but the air doesn't seem stale.

Conundrum
2012-06-21, 04:42 AM
Dredge

Dredge follows the cultists example and uses one hand to bring his cloth robes up to cover his mouth, even as he uses the other to launch another bolt of acid.

Then he notices Tajal toying with the wall from which he sensed illusion magic, and moves over to join the warlock.

"What have you found?" he asks, his rasping voice accentuated by the toxic fumes. "Is it a way out?"

Attack: Acid Orb vs the older cultist: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] acid.

I assume I can't try to remove the illusion on the same "turn" as making an attack, since they'd both be standard actions, but that's ok... it can wait till next turn. Dredge isn't even particularly worried if only the three of them disappear through the wall and the prisoners all die confused and alone ;)

Servbot
2012-06-21, 04:23 PM
Tajal

"With no way to surmise where this path leads, I believe the most appropriate answer is..." Tajal's lips curl in a wry smile. "I've found somewhere that's less toxic."

The Warlock shields his mouth with his sleeve, but he doesn't trust in it enough to sit by idly. He fires off a bolt of eldritch energy towards the ceiling, hoping it'll alert everyone as to his location; with that, the Eladrin retreats into the passage he's uncovered.

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-21, 05:24 PM
Baruk
Follow the warlock! shouts Baruk at the prisoners, pointing through the fog to where Tajal is heading. Rumble, cover their escape. I will free those who remain. Baruk takes an embroidered handkerchief out of his pocket, smiles melancholically for a moment and then puts it over his mouth. With his other hand, he opens cages and wrenches open doors.

Nai_Calus
2012-06-23, 01:21 PM
The cultist dodges Dredge's attack and continues chanting, even as Baruk frees two more prisoners from a cage. The freed prisoners do as they're told and run for the corner Tajal's magic came from.

Tajal:
The passage is fairly unremarkable, though it's hard to tell in the dark. Feeling your way through it, it proves to be fairly level. The air here, free of the toxic gas in the chamber, is much easier to breathe, and the freed prisoners who crowd in behind you breathe a sigh of relief.

The cultists, seeing their prey escaping, drop their chanting and start to fire bolts of magic, trying to stop the escape.

[roll0] vs Baruk's Ref, 7 damage on hit.
[roll1] vs Dredge's Ref, 7 damage on hit.

Conundrum
2012-06-26, 03:19 AM
Dredge

Dredge nimbly dodges the bolt of magic, and returns fire once more before slipping behind the illusion.

Once inside, he blinks twice - the first causes his milky eyes take on a golden sheen, and with the second they begin emanating a soft light into the darkened passageway. He then takes note of anything he can see in the new light.

Acid bolt vs old cultist:
Attack: [roll0] vs reflex
Damage: [roll1] acid

He also activates Unseelie Eyes (darkvision) and the eye-light from the same ability (bright light, 2-sq radius)

Nai_Calus
2012-06-29, 08:30 PM
The frightened prisoners crowd around Dredge in the new light. The passage continues to be fairly unremarkable, though you can tell now that it's obviously man-made. It continues another 50 or so feet before turning to the right in what you think is the direction of the river.

Baruk manages to free the other prisoners and is able to join the others in the tunnel.

As everyone regroups and joins each other in the tunnel, you're all able to breathe a sigh of relief. A small side passage joins the tunnel from your left near the end, but the feature that grabs your attention is the opening ahead that leads to the river.

A1Penguino
2012-07-14, 02:38 PM
Nistra

A ball of flame in her hand, Nistra stands by the illusion, helping to guide the other prisoners out. Once the last of them are through, she sets the flame loose at the nearest cultist before disappearing into the tunnel.

After taking a moment to catch her breath, she glides through the crowd, her body emitting a light glow as she approaches their saviors. "Thanks for getting us out of there. I'm Nistra, and I can assist you in getting the others out, but I need my gear that these cultists took from me first. I think they may have taken it down one of these tunnels." A small flame appears, circling around her head a few times. "And that's Bloom. If you let him set stuff on fire every now and then, he'll help out as well."

Attack vs nearest cultist
1d20+10 vs Reflex
2d8+4 fire

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-14, 09:33 PM
Malkyr Shadowstep, Drow Hunter

Malkyr had been stalking this great red hart for what seemed like hours--he could've taken it quicker, but likely messier and, even if he weren't opposed to anything short of a clean kill, with a magnificent stag like this it would be sacrilege to permit it to suffer. And at last he had it: late-evening grazing between two noble firs, setting a target sight for its throat, with Mal fully blinded to it downwind behind a convenient rocky outcropping. Even Owlaggar, his young trained owlbear, had been able to keep silent on the long hunt and kept still but alert behind the blind.

"Dark Maiden speed your journey," Mal whispered, and was just about to pull the trigger when Owlgy perked up and nudged his master with his beak. Irritated, Mal tried to ignore him and reset his sights, but the owlbear wouldn't give up. Mal scowled at him and that's when he spotted the raven perched atop the outcropping staring down at them. Not just a raven--Vilya, one of her beasts, the one that's only ever sent out when there's trouble. Mal sighed at the stag, which had already moved on, locked the trigger, shouldered his crossbow and motioned for Owlgy to follow him back home.

"Next time."

----------

Mal couldn't stop grumbling as he followed the river path into the ancient cave system--he'd wanted to clear those foolish cultists out as soon as they had invaded it, so he wasn't mad about that. But going in there after a band of most likely just as foolish would-be heroes wasn't how he'd envisioned this happening. Owlaggar looked at him forlornly once it became apparent they would have to wade at least part of the way in.

"I know, I know. Trust me, it's long and wet and windy, but this is the best way in," Mal whispered assuringly. The two followed the river along with the cavern walls, and though it was slow going they eventually reached a rocky footpath. Where the river met up with the main tunnels. Hearing the sounds of battle, Mal quickened his pace and, seeing a mismatched group of people huddling together--a few looking primed for battle but many looking distraught--he knew he'd found his goal. With Owlaggar loping behind him, Mal stepped into the light, hands stretched with palms outward.

"Be not alarmed. I am Malkyr, sent by my people who live in the forests above, to guide you to safety," he said in accented Common.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-15, 12:05 AM
Baruk
The half-orc is the last to enter the cave with the river, having seen all the prisoners out ahead of him. He nods to Malkyr. Welcome, brother. May the Maiden guide your steps in Darkness, he returns in mostly fluent Elven, taking an educated guess at Malkyr's deity of choice. I shall follow the group as rearguard, to ensure that no foes approach from behind. Lead the way, brother.

As much as elves and drow don't get along, they are all not exactly fans of orcs. So, even a redeemed drow might be surprised by a half-orc that knows Seldarine reverences.

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-15, 12:10 PM
*double post*

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-15, 12:11 PM
Malkyr

Though he had expected it would be the other way around, it was Malkyr who was surprised. Brother? What is this?! A half-orc who knows the ways of the Seldarine? he wondered, but soon realizing what he was doing Malkyr composed himself and nodded.

"The way is downriver, but the footpath gives way to a watery one not far back from here. Will that be a problem?" he asks the group.

Conundrum
2012-07-15, 03:48 PM
Dredge

Dredge watches with some amusement as the Drow and Baruk trade odd pleasantries. Although he doesn't know much of the dark elves' religion, he recognises someone who has been displaced when he sees them.

As for the strangely glowing gnome with the imaginary friend? He decides he'll reserve judgement there until he can determine the extent of the girl's madness. Couldn't hurt to help her get her stuff back, though, if she's actually competent.

"Water shouldn't be a problem. This lot have been through much worse. Unless..." he casts a glance and a small smirk at Nistra, "'Bloom' has a problem with it?"

A1Penguino
2012-07-17, 12:25 AM
The orbiting ball of fire stops between Nistra and the one that spoke to her. She couldn't quite place just what his race was, but thought it might be rude to ask. The flame moves a couple of inches toward him, bobbing side to side, before zipping back to Nistra and disappearing into her through her shoulder.

"As long as he doesn't have to be out, he can handle it, no problem." She looks over at the guy that just came out of the tunnel. "I don't suppose you saw any kind of equipment just laying around on your way in? A crossbow or two, gloves, glasses, amulet, anything?"

Nai_Calus
2012-07-18, 06:57 AM
OOC: Those of you who came in before recall that there were a couple of chambers you hadn't explored in the cavern, it's possible that the cultists stored the gear of their prisoners in one of them. You all doubt you can go back into the cultists' caverns the way you just came from, but if you can go out the way Malkyr came in, you should be able to loop around to the front and go back in, as well as free the prisoners that were by the bonfire.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-18, 07:31 PM
Baruk
If our guide can lead us out, we can return via the front to some rooms where your gear may be stored, points out the paladin.

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-18, 10:21 PM
Malkyr

Malkyr nodded to the half-orc, then briefly turned his attention to the gnome. "I did not, no, and I doubt it's seen much use. No doubt these cultists," he spat, "have storerooms in the tunnels they invaded. Come, we will double back."