PDA

View Full Version : Telestepper (3.5/3.P PrC, PEACH)

Kane0
2012-02-18, 01:59 AM
Hey guys. This time im going for a warrior who can jump around the battlefield to catch foes off guard and get in between your squishy and the BBEG without worrying about the mooks getting a 20 on their AoO.

The Telestepper

Prerequisites:
- BAB +5
- Know (Arcana) 5 Ranks
- Spellcraft 5 ranks
- Special: Must have been subject to at least two teleportation effects, one beneficial and one hostile

Hit Dice: d8
Skills Per level: 4 + Int
Proficiencies: None

Skills: Balance, Craft, Intimidate, Know (Arcana, Local), Jump, Listen, Perform, Profession, Spellcraft, Spot, Spellcraft, Tumble

{table=head] Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special
1st| +1 | +2 | +0 | +0 | Telestep (20ft), Accurate Translocation
2nd| +2 | +3 | +0 | +0 | Telestep (30ft), Lockdown
3rd| +3 | +3 | +1 | +1 | Telestep (40ft), Intercept Teleportation
4th| +4 | +4 | +1 | +1 | Telestep (50ft), Assured Travel
5th| +5 | +4 | +2 | +1 | Telestep (60ft), Swift Step
[/table]

Abilities:
Telestep (Su)
A Telesteppers' signature ability is his Telestep. He can teleport a distance of up to 10ft + 10ft per Telestepper level as part of a move action. As a supernatural ability this does not provoke an attack of opportunity.
If his desired Telestep distance is less than his movement speed he can make up the difference in regular movement before or after telestepping.

Accurate Translocation (Ex.)
If you are controlling a teleportation effect, there is no chance of error. A Telestepper knows exactly were he will end up and can (reasonably) fathom what the conditions will be when he arrives. This includes his Telestep ability. For example a telesptepper knows what will immeidately happen if he telesteps through to the other side of a wall (like ending up inside a rock or tree).

Lockdown (Su.)
The Telestepper gains an aura with radius equal to their Telestep range. It provides a dimensional Anchor effect with caster level equal to their character level. The Telestepper is excluded from this effect, and can be suppressed or resumed as a free action.

Intercept Teleportation (Su.)
The Telestepper can detect Teleportation effects within an amount of miles equal to their telestep range, and can intercept any within 3x Telestep range as an immediate action with a reflex save against DC 10 + Caster level of the effect.
Intercepting stops the teleportation effect at its nearest point to the Telestepper (assume the teleport transports in a straight line), and both the Telestepper and the caster arrive at that same point simultaneously.
Instead of intercepting a Telestepper can opt to attempt to ride with the Teleportation effect as if they were also a target. Doing so requires a successful Will save with DC equal to 10 + Caster level of the effect.
Using this ability comes at a cost of losing the ability to telestep for 1d3 +1 rounds.

Assured Travel (Ex.)
The Telestepper can use any Teleportation effects from magic items with no need for a UMD check.

Swift Step (Ex.)
The Telestepper can now use his Telestep as a swift action.

JustineSane
2012-02-18, 02:08 AM
Very Kurt Wagner-esque. I wonder if they BAMF! ?

Kane0
2012-02-18, 03:09 AM
Very Kurt Wagner-esque. I wonder if they BAMF! ?

Pretty much :smallamused:

When i was scribbling this down i wanted it to be as open as possible but focus on a single thing. That way a fighter, a scout or a rogue could all get good use out of it.

Kobold-Bard
2012-03-20, 07:20 PM
Hooray for being under 6 weeks.

I like this class quite a lot. I'm not a fan of Space & Time though. It's jst doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the class, but maybe that's just me. Personally I'd have given them Teleport Dex Mod times/day, it possibly either auto-upgrading to allow Plane Shift, or have this as a feat option that can be taken around ECL15.

But again that's just me, and I'm admittedly terribad at game balance so I could be talking gibberish. As I said though, a nice class I hope to use eventally.

Steward
2012-03-21, 10:11 PM
What I like about this class is that it has a pretty effective "tanking" mechanic. One of the problems with traditional melee tanks is that they have a hard time whenever a quicker enemy decides to just step around them or attack from a distance. This class is not only very mobile, it can restrict mundane and magical movement. I really like the interception ability; I can imagine this guy just snatching a teleporting foe out of hyperspace (or wherever) and simultaneously jumping in his face with an expression like this:

http://www.machinegundecor.com/pshining.jpg

Kane0
2012-03-22, 01:05 AM
Wow, i kinda thought this was a failed bury and forget job lol.

Glad to see that it has been well recieved. Regardless of if my homebrew is dead for comments in the thread, feel free to send a PM to be even if it is just to say that you like it :smallsmile:

To Kobold-Bard: I agree that space and time is a little away from the theme, but I did think it made a good capstone by giving up what you spent 5 levels to get for an extra standard or move action for anywhere between 2-5 rounds. If thats sounds unfair or unbalanced in play id be happy to change it, or provide alternatives if you would like to see a capstone that fits better to you.

Owrtho
2012-03-22, 02:23 AM
Seems like it could be a fun class. That said, I'd have to agree with Kobold-Bard on the capstone seeming a bit out of place.

To Kobold-Bard: I agree that space and time is a little away from the theme, but I did think it made a good capstone by giving up what you spent 5 levels to get for an extra standard or move action for anywhere between 2-5 rounds. If thats sounds unfair or unbalanced in play id be happy to change it, or provide alternatives if you would like to see a capstone that fits better to you.

It's not that it would likely be unbalanced, but rather exactly what you said. You're giving up what you spent 5 levels to get, for something completely different. If you spend 5 levels advancing in something, odds are it's something you want for your character. Giving it up for an unrelated ability as the capstone seems counter-intuitive. A better idea would be a capstone which improves the teleportation abilities. As an example, the ability to use telestep as a swift action (or possibly even an immediate action) with a diminished range with either a daily limit or a cooldown before you can again use telestep (though if you go with a swift action and a cooldown, it should likely be shorter than 2-5 rounds). Then they would be able to occasionally use telestep followed by a full-round action when it seemed pertinent. Well worth the 5 levels, and still in keeping with the class.
Though I'll note, that if you let it be used as an immediate action, make sure you note how that interacts with things like responding to someone attacking you or an AoE (as in things like trying to use it to move out of range).

Owrtho

Sneaky Weasel
2012-03-22, 02:36 AM
This is very cool. I like the idea of letting someone besides the wizard try Teleporking. And the utility of this class is astounding. There's a chasm? Teleport over it. There's a trap filled corridor? Teleport through. Very cool.
The capstone does seem a little weird, I like the idea of making the Teleport a Swift action. I don't think it would even need a recharge, but that's just me. I like the idea of teleporting in and slashing your foe a half dozen times before he can even react.:smallamused:

Kane0
2012-03-22, 06:21 AM
Very good points. I will correct the capstone to allow swift action telesteps at either a reduced range or an action cost, players choice. Any suggestions on the name?

DerTollUdo
2012-03-22, 10:25 AM
Cool Class :)
I agree with capstone change.
Suggestion:

Speed Stepping:
Your Telesteps are so much a part of you, that you may now use them as a swift action.

That would make it so you could do three steps in a round, as opposed to 2 or step and full attack, add in a Belt of Battle for another move, and pop back to where you started from :) Or add this whole class with Telfemar Shadow Lord (or some name like that I forget exactly) to get attacks after teleporting. Good times :D

Or give the class actual access to teleportation magic like Planeshift, Teleport, or D.Door.

Also, the one with the Anchoring ability says selective. Please clarify?

Accurate is a fun radar.

Oh, is Telestepping Su or Ex?

The awareness one feels odd. You can detect it for 100 miles at level 5, but only intercept at 1500 feet.

Alex Xeno
2013-07-13, 07:34 PM
An interesting Class to be sure.

One thing I would suggest though, for the Lockdown ability, I would just make it a total field coverage, like a Anti-magic field, but with Dimensional anchor effect instead. so no selective targeting.

Or fix the wording to say something like "Enemies cannot" or "all but your allies cannot"

At least, that's my humble two cents. (But I love the idea so much)

Veklim
2013-07-13, 07:46 PM
I shall be using this (if you don't mind) with a Kalashtar psychic warrior npc I've had in my current campaign, it's EXACTLY what he needed, thankyou! I'll send you results/findings when I have something :smallsmile:

Kane0
2013-07-14, 04:44 AM
By all means, happy to be of service :smallsmile:

chaos_redefined
2013-07-14, 06:27 AM
Just to check... is the limitation on your telestep set by your movement supposed to affect all the other class features?

For example, if you have a base land speed of 30 ft, and have all 5 levels of this class, can someone teleport when they are 40 ft away?

JBPuffin
2013-07-14, 10:02 AM
Just to check... is the limitation on your telestep set by your movement supposed to affect all the other class features?

For example, if you have a base land speed of 30 ft, and have all 5 levels of this class, can someone teleport when they are 40 ft away?

No; if you exceed your BLS with a Tele-Step, you simply can't move...until 5th level, I think, but that's something that needs to be clarified.

Kane0
2013-07-14, 05:46 PM

You can telestep the distance determined by level but if your movement speed exceeds this then you can make up the difference with a normal move either before or after you actually telestep. If your telestep distance exceeds your movement speed you can't move any further.
For example a Scout with a 50' movement speed and 3 levels of Telestepper can Step 40' and then run the last 10 as part of that same move action, but a fighter with a 30' move speed and 3 levels of Telestepper cannot move before or after a 40' telestep. In both cases the Telestepper can choose to step a smaller distance and run the rest if need be.

Then at level 5 you can telestep as a swift action, so you can get up to your full telestep range as the swift action plus up to your move speed as a move action (either before or after your telestep) if you want.