PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick out a shirt... uh, please

JCarter426
2012-02-19, 09:54 PM
Hello, all. On a whim, I added $4 to my pledge to get a patch. I'm not really sure what to do with it, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. So I've decided to order a shirt to go with the patch. It's almost as it someone planned it that way... :smallwink: In any case, I'd like some help from you all with picking out a shirt. There are three main points:

1. A design. My initial thought was to pick one with the whole OOTS group. However, I'm having second thoughts because Elan is already on the patch.

2. Shirt type. I'm not very clear on the difference between the regular and fitted shirts, so any information from someone who has one or both would be most appreciated.

3. Placement of the patch. Since the patch is permanent once placed, I want to make sure it's aesthetically pleasing before placing it. It could go on the front, on the back, a sleeve, a shoulder, and so on. And it could be at an angle or something. I really have no idea. This will likely depend on the design as well.

Anyone who helps will be awarded ONE (1) INTERNET. I'm authorized to hand those out. I have a license. They will also receive a digital photograph of the completed shirt (with patch), on account of I'll be posting it anyway.

Thanks in advance. :smallsmile:

Aedilred
2012-02-19, 11:37 PM
Given that you've already got the patch (sort of) it seems sensible to work backwards from there. Firstly, work out where on the shirt you want to put it.

My inclination would be to have the patch either on the breast (left side, preferably) or on the upper sleeve (again, left side out of preference). There's no reason not to put it anywhere else, but those to my mind are the classic placements for such adornments and anything else would look strange. It also gives you maximum visibility and minimum wear - having a patch on the back, for instance, would mean that any time you're wearing a jacket or hoodie it'd get covered up, and there'd be abrasion from chair backs and backpacks.

Once that's worked out it will help with shirt selection. If the patch is on an otherwise unadorned sleeve you could get away with pictures of the OOTS ; if the patch goes on the chest then a plainer, non-OOTS design would be preferable. The patch on the sleeve gives you more flexibility in general, because you can have larger designs on the shirt without the chest area becoming cluttered or designs clashing with each other.

There are other factors to consider, too - what colour shirts you will wear (I know people who don't like wearing white, for instance) or will go with your existing outfits, and which colours will go with the colours on the patch. Not to mention which designs of shirt you like personally. The good news here is that the sort of greyish-brown on the patch will go with most of the shirt colours, at least as far as I understand these things, which is not very well. The contrast with a dark colour might be quite marked, though.

JCarter426
2012-02-19, 11:55 PM
Sound logic. I agree, left breast or sleeve does sound like the best option. I don't have any preference for color; my only concern is how well it goes with the patch, as you said. Unfortunately, the designs I like the most - Evil, Good, Chaos, and Neutral - are ones I can specifically rule out. If I get one of them, I'm likely to get more than one (or all...) at some point, and I wouldn't want only one of them to have the patch (impartiality and all that).

Oh, and thanks. :smallsmile: