PDA

View Full Version : Sharing a Build: Master of Mops

Dust
2012-02-22, 01:46 AM
I see a lot of people wanting to do characters who are nothing but improvised weapons. Here's one way to make it do-able.
Note that this only works in games with limited magic items, using the passive attack/damage bonuses granted upon gaining levels.

- Human Slayer, starting with 20 DEX
- Theme: Guardian (D 399) for defense, Mercenary for offense
- Best Paragon path currently: Mythic Slayer
- Take Melee Training (DEX) and Master at Arms for your first feats, giving you +6 to hit and +2 on damage. At higher levels, you might want to consider Berserker Fury from Heroes of the Feywild and more defensive options.
- For your Fighter ability, grab Arena Training from the Dark Sun options. This grants another +2 bonus to attack rolls with improvised weapons, and they do 1d8 or 1d10 damage. If you're actually playing in Dark Sun, also take a proficiency with the Axe Gauntlet via this feat for another +1 AC.
- For Slayer powers, I recommend Battle Wrath and Mobile Blade. At level 6, Makeshift Shield. At level 10, Fist of Lightning. These powers are both from MP2.
- In hide armor at level 1, this should give you defenses similar to 20 AC, 13 Fort, 16 Ref, 13 Will, depending on where you put your secondary attributes. You should also have +8 to hit and 1d8+7 damage with any weapon.
- You'll lag slightly behind true Striker damage whilst having far better defenses, and it works decently well for a theoretical exercise.

RoboHobo
2012-02-22, 07:06 PM
If you weren't using the limited magic items rules, you could use the enchant magic item ritual to give yourself a +6 vicious mop.

M.c.P
2012-02-24, 09:38 AM
Slayers don't get the fighter weapon talent, so you'd have to build straight fighter to take advantage of the Arena Training thing, and thus lag a little behind in damage if you went the max Dex route.

That said, I remember monks being fun to use improvised weapons with, though I can't remember the particulars, and I can't remember if it was largely a fluff thing, since monk's don't use weapons per se.

Dust
2012-02-24, 11:43 AM
Bah. I just realized that. Can't believe that Weapon Talent (+1 to rolls on everything) and Fighter Weapon Talent (+1 to rolls on one-handed or two-handed weapons, your call) couldn't have been made interchangeable.

Darn essentials. :smallmad:

MeeposFire
2012-02-25, 07:51 AM
Still you could just play an arena fighter using inherent bonuses and you are good to go.