PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How to heal minion ?

zagan
2012-02-23, 09:12 AM
Hello all.
I'm currently designing a base class similar to the summoner from pathfinder but instead of spells he get multiple (6 max I think) powerful creature but only one at times.
My problem is that I want to find a way to heal those creature without spending too much ressource from the party. After that it's not fair to be forced to ask the healer in the party to spend all his ressource at healing your minion in addition to yourtself. (in that case the healer can be anything from a cleric to a rogue with UMD.)

My first idea was make a heal check to heal your own minion (result divided by 5) and it would take something like 10 minutes per check. So in theory unlimited out of combat healing but limited by time available. The problem is that the class does not have any other use for heal and it seem out of place.

My second idea was cure light wound as SLA only usable on your minion, but again it seem a little out of place.

My last idea is my favorite, it would be shared healing. Any time you receive some healing all your minion recover the same amount of healt. Seem a little strong but with the limitation on the minion I think it can work. I run into a few problem like the fact that you have less hp than your minion, but it's doable.

So my question to you the playground, is do you have any better idea ? Do you see any other problem with my various idea ? Suggestion on how to improve any of them ?
Thanks in advance for any response.

silphael
2012-02-23, 10:54 AM
Generally speaking, the heal skill need it, and should have such an use...

jojolagger
2012-02-23, 11:15 AM
Give limited in-combat healing via some form of healing SLA's, or possibly a healing pool like the paladin (but more healing), along with fast healing X while in the pokeball. :smallamused:

zagan
2012-02-23, 11:44 AM
Generally speaking, the heal skill need it, and should have such an use...

Yeah, I agree but I think it would be more appropriate as a change to the heal skill itself instead of a random class ability.

Give limited in-combat healing via some form of healing SLA's, or possibly a healing pool like the paladin (but more healing), along with fast healing X while in the pokeball. :smallamused:

An healing pool is an interesting idea. Fast healing when "in the pokeball" I'm not sure.

Thank you both. Any other idea ?

silphael
2012-02-23, 11:52 AM
The shared healing is a nice idea too, but as your minions will likely have far more HP than you, it isn't a true answer.

jojolagger
2012-02-23, 09:29 PM
Fast healing when "in the pokeball" I'm not sure.
Maybe a toned down fast healing, a few hp per minute? (Class level per minute would be lot's of healing Out of combat, but not a substantial amount during the fight.)

Also, If we want a large healing pool, and to make the heal skill relevant, and the heal skill to the formula (Instead of levels x Primary stat, Levels x (Primary stat + Heal ranks))
Wait, why not allow for a really big healing pool (Levels x Primary Stat x Heal bonus), and have it work more efficiently when out of combat instead of the fast healing idea (maybe with fast healing as part of the capstone?) Then thehealing is limited, but you have substantial out of combat healing, and decent in combat healing.
(Also, an ability to heal "Stored" monsters as a free action 1/round for a limited amount would seem nice)

zagan
2012-02-24, 07:25 AM
Maybe a toned down fast healing, a few hp per minute? (Class level per minute would be lot's of healing Out of combat, but not a substantial amount during the fight.)

Also, If we want a large healing pool, and to make the heal skill relevant, and the heal skill to the formula (Instead of levels x Primary stat, Levels x (Primary stat + Heal ranks))
Wait, why not allow for a really big healing pool (Levels x Primary Stat x Heal bonus), and have it work more efficiently when out of combat instead of the fast healing idea (maybe with fast healing as part of the capstone?) Then thehealing is limited, but you have substantial out of combat healing, and decent in combat healing.
(Also, an ability to heal "Stored" monsters as a free action 1/round for a limited amount would seem nice)

After reflexion I think I will go with the healing pool, I really like the share healing idea but it wouldn't be enough. For my healing pool I think that class level x primary stat x number of minion should work.
At first level you get around 1 * 4 * 1 = 4, ridiculously low but at this point you can afford to ask for healing from an ally
At level 10 you get around 10 * 7 * 3 = 210 much better
At level 20 you get around 20 * 10 * 6 = 1200, seem huge but you get 6 minions to heal.

Edit: Perhaps I'll add a minimum to the pool of healing, something like 15, that way you can heal your monster a little more at low level.