PDA

View Full Version : What if V's Familicide reached outside of OOTS Verse

t209
2012-02-28, 10:39 PM
Inspired by this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0842.html), started by this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0639.html).
After I read 842, I began to think what if it hit to outside of OOTS Verse since Alduin in Skyrim is a black dragon
and if he died, Akatosh (Alduin's dad) will die, Dovahkiin, and probably Septim Dynasty.
Who would have died from Familicide spell if it reached outside of OOTS verse?

Nerd-o-rama
2012-02-28, 10:56 PM
No one because not every Black Dragon is related within reach of "family" described by the spell. It's Familicide, not a Blessed Scroll of Genocide.

erikun
2012-02-28, 11:04 PM
Given your kind's low rate of reproduction, I estimate that I have eliminated approximately one-quarter of the black dragons on the planet.
The spell only affects relatives of that specific black dragon, not all black dragons everywhere. Given that there has been no sign of OotS-verse characters interacting with anything outside of OotS-verse (beyond copyright infringement) it is a pretty safe bet that the spell hasn't hit anything else.

t209
2012-02-28, 11:05 PM
So, That's busted!

Mewtarthio
2012-02-29, 01:25 AM
Ah, but Rich Burlew created the Black Dragon; therefore, he can be considered her father. If Familicide extended beyond the OotS-verse, Rich would have been the first to go. Since Rich is probably still alive, we can assume the effect was localized.

Bastian Weaver
2012-02-29, 07:48 AM
Redcloak created Xykon the lich - sort of. Does that mean that Redcloak is Xykon's Big Green Daddy?
Nah, Rich is pretty much safe from the effects of that spell.
Of course, we MIGHT assume that Ancalagon the Black was a relative of the above-mentioned dragon, and the Familicide spell hit just when he was fighting against Earendil... meh. No, it never happened.

KillianHawkeye
2012-02-29, 08:02 AM
Ah, but Rich Burlew created the Black Dragon; therefore, he can be considered her father. If Familicide extended beyond the OotS-verse, Rich would have been the first to go. Since Rich is probably still alive, we can assume the effect was localized.

Well, Rich would probably be considered the over-deity of the OOTS universe, so he'd be immune thanks to his author-induced godhood.

Bastian Weaver
2012-02-29, 08:04 AM
Well, Rich would probably be considered the over-deity of the OOTS universe, so he'd be immune thanks to his author-induced godhood.

That, or he's the Snarl.

t209
2012-02-29, 09:54 AM
When I started this thread, I was thinking like Skyrim Trailer:
Narrator: "In there tongue, he's dovahkiin, DRAGONBORN!"
Dragonborn: "FUS RO
(Familicide spell)
(Dragonborn falls down from the cliff)
(Alduin died).

Winthur
2012-02-29, 09:59 AM
The spell has already reached outside of the OOTS verse.

I don't see many black dragons around in our world, do you?

(the spell would also do nothing to black dragons from Heroes of Might & Magic 3, immune to all magic)

TheFallenOne
2012-02-29, 10:13 AM
I went through the member list, there's a user called Blackdrake who's been inactive for a long time. Coincidence? You decide.

OK so he's been inactive well before the Familicide strip. Bah, details.

tonberrian
2012-03-01, 01:19 PM
An amusing thought: Rich changes the default Black Dragon avatar into a dead black dragon avatar.

Flame of Anor
2012-03-01, 10:03 PM
No one because not every Black Dragon is related within reach of "family" described by the spell. It's Familicide, not a Blessed Scroll of Genocide.

I'm kind of weirded out by "blessed" and "genocide" appearing in such proximity.

Gnoman
2012-03-01, 11:04 PM
It's a reference to Roguelike RPGs (Proabably Nethack). A scroll of genocide in those sort of games kills creatures of a specified type. If the scroll is simply not cursed, it (generally) kills creatures on the current level only, while a blessed one (blessing is the opposite of cursed, and generally makes an item work better) renders that species extinct.

Nerd-o-rama
2012-03-02, 09:53 AM
I was also specifically referencing a Nethack-parody OotS guest comic (it might have been Rob Balder's first appearance on this site, or I might be making things up) which I cannot find for the life of me. It was how Roy-in-@-form defeated Xykon-in-L-form.

Selrahc
2012-03-02, 10:19 AM
I was also specifically referencing a Nethack-parody OotS guest comic (it might have been Rob Balder's first appearance on this site, or I might be making things up) which I cannot find for the life of me. It was how Roy-in-@-form defeated Xykon-in-L-form.

Under the ! in comics there are some guest strips (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/GuestStrips.html).

Nerd-o-rama
2012-03-02, 11:21 AM
Oh hey it was Rob Balder.

Thanks, I had no idea where those went.