PDA

View Full Version : Scary Moments in Media

MCerberus
2012-02-29, 12:01 PM
Sometimes they're creepy, sometimes they're startling, other times they're just wrong in an 'abyss stared back' sort of way. Horror is kind of the spicy food of media, you know you really shouldn't but occasionally you just love to indulge.

So, the discussion at hand: What are your favorite moments when you were frightened or creeped out by something, even if you were just a little kid at the time?

On the other hand, when have you seen such a terrible failure at horror that you just started laughing?

Personally, for the former I get two really strong examples in my mind. First is the tunnel from Willie Wonka. It was just an insane complete shift in the tone with crazy imagery.

The second is the end of a Courage the Cowardly Dog episode, 'The Great Fusili'. The titular character had some sort of device that turned people into marionettes. Eustace and Murial, Courage's human family have this happen to them before it's turned on Fusili. In middle-school, my mind was already formulating that this would free all the puppets... but it didn't. Courage then took them home and played out a hollow recreation of normal life with the puppets. Episode over. That episode still creeps me out all the years later.

Maxios
2012-02-29, 12:07 PM
Many, many, years ago in the primal age of our universe known only as...2001...a Spongebob episode aired involving the Spongebob and his starfish friend Patrick watching over their friend's pets. One of these pets was a caterpillar that turned into a butterfly.
Now, that itself isn't creepy. What's creepy is when the scene suddenly changes and the a real butterfly is crawling on the camera. It's very creepy, and when I was younger it scared the crap out of me.

Fri
2012-03-01, 09:47 AM
I remember one thing.

Do any of you ever heard about Punky Brewster? It's basically an old kid sitcom/adventure series about the titular energetic and funny girl with her friends and foster family and such. You know the type.

And one day, I unpreparedly caught a 'special' episode.

I'm struggling trying to concoct an explanation about the horror that episode gave to my young succulent mind, but luckily, I found someone else who explained it well enough.

http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/blogs/sage-francis-blog/punky-brewster-trauma/

Hipho
2012-03-01, 09:57 AM
I don't remember the exact episode but Courage The Cowardly Dog "Return thr slab" guy. That creeped me right the hell out.

Also, R.L. Stine's Night of the Living Dummy. That thing gave me an intense fear of dolls that still persists to this day.

Feytalist
2012-03-01, 10:03 AM
When I was 7, I saw Batman Returns. The Penguin and his antics gave me nightmares for weeks.

A much more recent example was the reveal of the previous season's Dexter. Not a scary moment as such, simply a delicious little chill when you realise that everything you think you know is wrong.

Ellardin
2012-03-01, 01:10 PM
I remember one particular sets of episodes ( a 2 parter) of the Ghost Writer show where a blue slim doll goes around slimming everyone and being all evil and ****. That scarred the crap out of me when I was a little kid.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-03-01, 01:22 PM
When I was about 6 or 7 I saw The Nightmare before Christmas for the first time in my life... I actually got a Nightmare on Christmas eve..(scumbag tv station airing it on Christmas eve....)

Gnoman
2012-03-01, 06:36 PM
The US audiobook of Goblet of Fire never fails to chill in the graveyard scene, in my experience. The lines are not particularly great prose, but Jim Dale's delivery is spot-on for the mood.

The Glyphstone
2012-03-01, 06:38 PM
I remember one particular sets of episodes ( a 2 parter) of the Ghost Writer show where a blue slim doll goes around slimming everyone and being all evil and ****. That scarred the crap out of me when I was a little kid.

Holy crap, same for me. I was terrified of that thing for years after I watched those episodes.:smallredface:

EDIT: Though for some reason I remember it being purple.

Saph
2012-03-01, 06:48 PM
Anyone ever read Robin Jarvis' Deptford Mice series?

I did when I was a little kid. Including the scenes in Jupiter's lair and what happens to the mice that go down there. For a book that's supposedly for children it creeped the hell out of me.

nazgulnine
2012-03-01, 07:10 PM
I don't remember the exact episode but Courage The Cowardly Dog "Return thr slab" guy. That creeped me right the hell out.

Ditto. This is the only thing in my childhood (aside from having watched The Exorcist at age 7) that visibly perturbed me. My sister saw the look on my face while watching that and she thought I was "about to die" because apparently, I became milk white whenever that CG Rameses appeared (oddly enough, one of my favorite historical figures). After rewatching the series, I don't know why that one image freaked me out so much. It was much tamer compared to other things from that series, such as Freaky Fred the Barber, and other things I watched as a child (the Island of Dr. Moreau, which I friggin' loved).