PDA

View Full Version : Pack Outcast Questions

TechnOkami
2012-03-02, 07:16 AM
I know where it is, I know what it does, and I know it's awesome (I mean, werewolves, come on).

My only question is thus: what classes would work best with the Pack Outcast Theme?

I would think some kind of striker, but I honestly don't know.

WickerNipple
2012-03-02, 09:32 AM
Pack Outcast is notable almost entirely for its 5th level Feature: "Enemies adjacent to you grant combat advantage to you and to allies adjacent to those enemies."

So: any class or party that needs a ready source of combat advantage.

This is a very nice feature, but it's also one that can be largely unnecessary and/or replaced by feats, class features, powers and good play - depending on the party. I think it's a bit overrated this late in 4e when getting combat advantage should rarely be difficult for a good party.

Does make lazy and/or poor Rogues & Thieves drool.

Bearpunch
2012-03-02, 11:05 AM
Yeah, a lazy rogue would fit well. I think a Barbarian would make it cool, too. My suggestions are mostly based on fluff though, since I haven't seen the theme for a long time, as my insider account is gone.

Vendle
2012-03-02, 02:15 PM
It also works nicely for a defender that hasn't min/maxed strength*, so that his attacks reliably land. The difference between a rogue taking this and a defender is, the defender will more often be affecting multiple targets to the benefit of the party. YMMV

*= or whatever stat goes to their attack rolls

TechnOkami
2012-03-02, 04:04 PM
It also works nicely for a defender that hasn't min/maxed strength*, so that his attacks reliably land. The difference between a rogue taking this and a defender is, the defender will more often be affecting multiple targets to the benefit of the party. YMMV

*= or whatever stat goes to their attack rolls

Suddenly I want to make a Barbarian Defender.

Zaq
2012-03-04, 01:18 PM
Pack Outcast is notable almost entirely for its 5th level Feature: "Enemies adjacent to you grant combat advantage to you and to allies adjacent to those enemies."

So: any class or party that needs a ready source of combat advantage.

This is a very nice feature, but it's also one that can be largely unnecessary and/or replaced by feats, class features, powers and good play - depending on the party. I think it's a bit overrated this late in 4e when getting combat advantage should rarely be difficult for a good party.

Does make lazy and/or poor Rogues & Thieves drool.

To my understanding, it has been nerfed to say that you must have at least one ally adjacent to the enemy for the free CA. It basically turns it into Island of Blades, from 3.5. Still good, but no longer truly effortless CA.

Shatteredtower
2012-03-07, 01:58 PM
To my understanding, it has been nerfed to say that you must have at least one ally adjacent to the enemy for the free CA.

That is correct, though I can no longer find that errata.

(Interesting timing, as I'm currently trying to figure out whether they've clarified if that book's bladesinger can make two melee basic attacks, each using a minor action, after using a daily spell, or if that was meant to be limited to only once per round.)