PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones - someone dies in tv but not in the book?

JadePhoenix
2012-03-04, 06:39 AM
Hello, everyone.
I just read an interview with RR Martin regarding the Game of Throne TV series and he mentions a character dying sooner in the TV series than in the novels. I have no idea who this is. I read the first second books but I can't remember anyone dying in the series before they died in the books. Am I crazy here? I googled it but couldn't find anything.

Selrahc
2012-03-04, 06:41 AM
Hello, everyone.
I just read an interview with RR Martin regarding the Game of Throne TV series and he mentions a character dying sooner in the TV series than in the novels. I have no idea who this is. I read the first second books but I can't remember anyone dying in the series before they died in the books. Am I crazy here? I googled it but couldn't find anything.

Can you link the interview? If it was recent it's possible he was talking about the upcoming second series.

JadePhoenix
2012-03-04, 08:17 AM
Can you link the interview? If it was recent it's possible he was talking about the upcoming second series.

Here it is (http://omelete.uol.com.br/series-e-tv/game-thrones-omelete-entrevista-george-rr-martin/). I didn't link it before because it's in portuguese. But it's not recent.

Forge it, I'm stupid, just found a link (http://collider.com/george-r-r-martin-interview-game-of-thrones/86337/) to the original version in english.

Relevant point: "There is one character who dies in the first season of the television show, who does not die until the third or fourth book, and who dies differently"

Selrahc
2012-03-04, 08:58 AM
It's definitely nobody major...

I would guess maybe Stark's retainer who took a knife to the eye? Who would have otherwise died in the Red Wedding.

Maybe the Dothraki killed by Jorah? Otherwise dead wandering the wastes or attacking slaver cities with Daenarys.

T-O-E
2012-03-04, 10:52 AM
It's Mago, a Dothraki who Drogo kills in the tv show. In the books he forms a khal with Jhaqo.

Or maybe they're talking about that bard who Joffrey tortures. Although I think he just had his tongue ripped off in the show.

Selrahc, I'd spoil that. The OP has only read the first 2 books.

Seerow
2012-03-04, 08:58 PM
It's Mago, a Dothraki who Drogo kills in the tv show. In the books he forms a khal with Jhaqo.

Or maybe they're talking about that bard who Joffrey tortures. Although I think he just had his tongue ripped off in the show.

Selrahc, I'd spoil that. The OP has only read the first 2 books.

I think Mago is the one GRRM is referencing, the bard in question is so minor I don't think he even registers as a character. (Unless it's the same bard that shows up in the Eyrie later? Though I'm reasonably certain that's not the case)

Mewtarthio
2012-03-04, 09:22 PM
The bard who makes it to the Eyrie was in Catelyn's party after she captured Tyrion. The bard that got his tongue ripped out was someone else entirely.

Okay, so they actually both got their tongues ripped out eventually. That sort of thing tends to happen in Westeros. That being said, the one bard was silenced for attempting to blackmail Tyrion, while the other was framed for Lysa's murder.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-03-04, 09:51 PM
Reading the article at more length why do I get the feeling is that the show can only effect the order in which characters die, but in the end everyone will die?

Check this bit out:

It does occur to me, while I’ve been finishing A Dance With Dragons, that I sometimes have these moments when I’m doing horrible things to characters, where the actor comes to me and I find myself thinking, “Oh, god, what am I doing to this perfectly nice person here? They’re going to have to act out this horrible scene that I’ve just written for them.” But, thankfully, most actors seem to thrive, the more you do terrible things to their character. It gives them a chance to really show their acting chops.

McStabbington
2012-03-05, 01:55 AM
I'm glad it occurred to him, because it certainly occurred to me. Let's just say there was an entire chapter in the last book where the 1st 2nd and 3rd thoughts that came to me were that Lena Headey was going to attack Martin the next time they met.

T-O-E
2012-03-05, 03:03 AM
The bard who makes it to the Eyrie was in Catelyn's party after she captured Tyrion. The bard that got his tongue ripped out was someone else entirely.[quote]

It's the same actor. (http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Marillion)

[quote]Okay, so they actually both got their tongues ripped out eventually. That sort of thing tends to happen in Westeros. That being said, the one bard was silenced for attempting to blackmail Tyrion, while the other was framed for Lysa's murder.

The bard who tried to blackmail Tyrion wasn't silenced. He was made into a stew.

Mewtarthio
2012-03-05, 09:34 AM
The bard who tried to blackmail Tyrion wasn't silenced. He was made into a stew.

It appears I'm getting my gruesome fates confused. Ah, well. In my defense, it is pretty hard to sing when you're in a stew.

Cikomyr
2012-03-05, 10:30 AM
Uf the bard is killed before being framed for Lysa's rejoicing murder (I cheered out loud!), then how will Petyr pin the murder on someone else?

Mordar
2012-03-06, 03:42 PM
Reading the article at more length why do I get the feeling is that the show can only effect the order in which characters die, but in the end everyone will die?

I think it's pretty funny - I saw the thread title and immediately thought that the OP was confused because everyone is going to die in these books, and you can't have more than everyone die. I think the "sekrit message" of the series is that you shouldn't play the Game of Thrones...because everyone loses eventually. And when you play the Game of Thrones you win...or you die.

- M

Flickerdart
2012-03-06, 08:46 PM
Uf the bard is killed before being framed for Lysa's rejoicing murder (I cheered out loud!), then how will Petyr pin the murder on someone else?
http://i40.tinypic.com/fxbcz8.png

:smalltongue:

Cikomyr
2012-03-06, 08:56 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/fxbcz8.png

:smalltongue:

Sorry, I can't believe he'd act as unslick :smalltongue:

Douglas
2012-03-06, 10:28 PM
I'm glad it occurred to him, because it certainly occurred to me. Let's just say there was an entire chapter in the last book where the 1st 2nd and 3rd thoughts that came to me were that Lena Headey was going to attack Martin the next time they met.
*Looks up what character she's acting as*

That depends on how much they censor the scene. But if they show it in its full, erm, glory, then yes. Yes I imagine she might have a bit of a grievance with him.

Keld Denar
2012-03-07, 03:05 AM
A Game of Not-Getting-Attached-To-Characters-Who-Will-Undoubtedly-Die-Very-Suddenly-And-Unpleasantly!

Seerow
2012-03-07, 11:14 AM
*Looks up what character she's acting as*

That depends on how much they censor the scene. But if they show it in its full, erm, glory, then yes. Yes I imagine she might have a bit of a grievance with him.

This is HBO we're talking about. I'm pretty sure the only reason Lena Heady got off easy last season is because she was pregnant throughout most of the filming. If we don't see her naked on screen at least twice before the 2nd season is over, I will be shocked. By the time the scene referenced in ADWD comes around, nobody will even be phased by it.

Flickerdart
2012-03-07, 12:16 PM
I forget, which is the character and scene in question?

Eldan
2012-03-07, 12:51 PM
Queen Cersei. The scene involved walking.

Douglas
2012-03-07, 12:55 PM
Cersei Lannister, and (spoiler for ADWD)
the scene where she is forced to walk a pretty long distance naked through crowded city streets, with the general public having been previously informed of exactly who she is and why this is happening.

Flickerdart
2012-03-08, 10:53 AM
Oh yeah, that one.

HeadlessMermaid
2012-03-11, 06:58 AM
Cersei Lannister, and (spoiler for ADWD)
the scene where she is forced to walk a pretty long distance naked through crowded city streets, with the general public having been previously informed of exactly who she is and why this is happening.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. (Spoiler for ADWD again:)
The public is informed of nothing of the sort. While Cersei has murdered people and tortured people and brought a great deal of misery to the world at large, the Church punishes her with public humiliation for having sex. That's not a detail, it defines the entire scene.

blackspeeker
2012-03-11, 03:23 PM

May I say that was the perfect way to sum up that scene.

pita
2012-03-15, 12:27 PM

This is it. The spoiler is from a yet unreleased book.
GRRM has hinted that the relation to Mago is how Daenerys will get control of the Dothraki, or that he will be a challenge she has to face.