PDA

View Full Version : (D&D 3.5) Simplified leadership rules -- no more Cohort XP tracking

Idhan
2012-03-06, 06:52 PM
Simplified rules for the leadership feat (and related abilities, such as the thrallherd class):

Cohorts do not have an independent experience pool. Rather, their level is determined by the leadership feat. Your cohort has the level appropriate to your leadership score. You recalculate your cohort's level whenever you permanently gain or lose a level or charisma. (Temporary alterations to level or charisma, such as negative levels, ability damage, or enhancement bonuses, do not lead to recalculation of cohort level.)
Whenever the cohort uses an ability which uses experience, such as crafting magical items or casting spells with experience components, the leader pays these experience costs in lieu of the cohort.
If a cohort ceases to be a cohort, the she gains an experience pool equal to the minimum necessary for the level the cohort had when she ceased to be a cohort.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-03-06, 10:06 PM
Whelp, they help. The second one may even be a nice nerf. That's not to say that they make the feat usable in most games, but they help.

The Mentalist
2012-03-07, 12:10 AM
I think the issue is less the cohort being an XP battery and more having another character (and a crapload of followers) to add to the combat rotation. I like these rules but I think that you'd be better off having them as craft-batteries offscreen. (It's trading one hell for another in my mind. I personally tend to scrap the feat and call it a day.)