PDA

View Full Version : DM emergency - help me find monsters!

WarKitty
2012-03-10, 06:12 PM
So I'm trying to build a very hard encounter for my group for tomorrow. Here's the story as they will see it:

"You find yourselves on a massive staircase. At the bottom is a row of open archways, each five feet across. Through the archways you can see what appears to be a giant grid, with various features in each square. The archways themselves seem to hum with magic. The other sides of the grid are lined with what appear to be mirrors."

If a player peeks through an arch:
"As you peek into the arch, you see a shadowy figure appear in one of the mirrors. The figures appears like <<insert description of player here>>."

Yes, I meant to say player, not character. They are going to be fighting incarnations of themselves as game monsters. What square the player's avatar appears in depends on the square in which their character enters. What I'm looking for is monster chassis for each player that I can reflavor to fit. They will of course all have D&D abilities.

Why the emergency? Well, because my computer died on me and I ended up spending much of my set-up time hunting down a new one. Plus it turned out I need a paper that I left at the office...and, well, the game is tomorrow and I need a hand here.

The players are all level 3; this will be their only battle of the day so I expect them to unleash everything. This is also a one-shot deal, so character death is not an issue. They want a good challenge; I would say they should have no more than a 50-50 shot at winning going in. A decent chance at a TPK is required.

The players I have:
R: Controler-y magic type. Should probably be a low damage but either AoE or status effect inflictor. I see him as the guy in the cape moving people around the battlefield
T: Magic still, but probably a more directly offensive type. I see him as the kind that would be hurling Latin curses that damage his opponents.
W: Melee, sort of berserker-ish I'd say. Probably a dex-based rather than strength. Picturing a two-sword fighter.
J: Some kind of buffer maybe? I'm willing to bend the rules enough to give the monster side a real healer. Thinking the schemer in black leather.
S: Some sort of high-damage melee monster, I'd say. I tend to see him as a sort of melee rogue without the stealth. The guy that runs in and goes for the kill.
M: Definitely a brute, probably with some sort of ability to mark things and make it hard to attack her allies. Ranged might be interesting, could go either way. A sort of protective type, don't harm my allies.

I'm not 100% sure of getting either M or W, so those two need to be optional.

DeltaEmil
2012-03-10, 08:54 PM
R: Goblin Hex Hurler. Level 3 Controller (Leader) found in MV. Alternatively, use the Skulk Mesmerist. Level 3 Controller found in MM 3.
T: Orc Archer. Level 4 Artillery found in MV. If necessary, reduce it to level 3 easily as per the Dungeon Master's Guidebook 1. Alternatively, use the Xivort Shadow Caller. Level 2 Artillery (Leader) found in MM 3. If necessary, increase it to level 3 easily as per the Dungeon Master's Guidebook 1.
W: Jackalwere Bravo. Level 3 Brute found in MM 3.
J: Hobgoblin Beast Master. Level 3 Controller (Leader) found in MV.
S: Poisonscale Brawler. Level 3 Brute found in MV. Alternatively, use the Doppelganger Sneak. Level 3 Skirmisher found in MV. Or use the Scurrying Wererat. Level 3 Skirmisher found in MV.
M: Battletested orc. Level 3 Soldier found in MV. Hits almost as hard as a brute of the same level. Very popular.