PDA

View Full Version : what Is the worst fanfic you ever read ?

Harry
2012-03-11, 06:11 PM
What is the worst baddest need some brain bleach fanfic you ever read? I'll start the worst one I seen was either agony in pink or cupcakes

Dr.Epic
2012-03-11, 06:21 PM
Can I list the best fanfic because it'd be this (http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail188.html)?:smallbiggrin:

Forum Explorer
2012-03-11, 06:28 PM
cupcakes followed by rainbow factory

Dr.Epic
2012-03-11, 06:29 PM
cupcakes followed by rainbow factory

What are these fanfics you mentioned? Link to site please?

Saph
2012-03-11, 06:34 PM
My Immortal (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6480487/1/My_Immortal_Special_Edition) is pretty hard to beat, although opinion's still divided on whether it's genuine or a troll. :smalltongue: Runner-up would probably be Rose Potter.

edit: Changed link. This page should be SFW, at least I think so?

The Glyphstone
2012-03-11, 06:34 PM
Great Modthulhu: Just gonna throw it out as I wander by, linking to NSFW content is prohibited by the rules.

Burble.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-03-11, 06:35 PM
What are these fanfics you mentioned? Link to site please?

Dunno about Rainbow Factory, but Cupcakes is too gory for a forum-safe link. It's a My Little Pony fic, though, and that should give you enough information to search it out, should you want to.

I'm guessing My Immortal is too obvious to count as an answer? I still haven't finished that one... not even my incredible sense of morbid curiosity could make me sit through that thing.

Litewarior
2012-03-11, 06:45 PM
Anything on this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Horrible/Fanfic) page,

Dr.Epic
2012-03-11, 07:04 PM
Dunno about Rainbow Factory, but Cupcakes is too gory for a forum-safe link. It's a My Little Pony fic, though, and that should give you enough information to search it out, should you want to.

Too gory even for a PM?

Lord Seth
2012-03-11, 07:04 PM
I don't think My Immortal really qualifies. Whether it was a parody or not, it can at least be enjoyed on a comedy level, and the sheer incoherentness of it all is pretty funny. The worst fan fictions would be ones that can't even do that.

Forum Explorer
2012-03-11, 07:20 PM
Too gory even for a PM?

While they are both rather gory that isn't why they are bad. Well not only why they are bad. Cupcakes is just pure gorn and lacks in any semblance of a plot beyond one pony tortures another to death and makes cupcakes out of their flesh.

Rainbow Factory actually had the potential to be...well not compleatly bad if it didn't ignore pretty much every single piece of canon on the subject at hand.

They are both horrible and I wouldn't advise reading them. Most of their supposed entertainment comes from being a corruption of an otherwise innocent world/character.

Dienekes
2012-03-11, 07:32 PM
I don't think My Immortal really qualifies. Whether it was a parody or not, it can at least be enjoyed on a comedy level, and the sheer incoherentness of it all is pretty funny. The worst fan fictions would be ones that can't even do that.

I agree. My Immortal is just about the only fanfic I've ever enjoyed.

MCerberus
2012-03-11, 07:34 PM
I don't read much fanfic at all, especially bad stuff. It seems like the worst are intentionally bad though, like the infamous Full-Life Consequences or the one that ended 'and then he was the demon'.

TheLaughingMan
2012-03-11, 07:45 PM
the one that ended 'and then he was the demon'.

Doom, Repercussions of Evil (http://www.peterchimaera.com/doom.html), for your enjoyment.

On topic, I'd say in general any fanfic writer that doesn't understand the long-standing rule that "rape/=a loving relationship" is bound to produce creepy, romanticized trash. Just look at every other fanfic involving The Joker.

Dr.Epic
2012-03-11, 08:47 PM
While they are both rather gory that isn't why they are bad. Well not only why they are bad. Cupcakes is just pure gorn and lacks in any semblance of a plot beyond one pony tortures another to death and makes cupcakes out of their flesh.

So kind of like Hostel but with ponies?

Grue Bait
2012-03-11, 08:59 PM
So kind of like Hostel but with ponies?

Exactly. Twisted, sadistic, amd poorly-written, it's Hostel ponyfied. As for My Immortal, it's more funny than bad, but I suppose it counts.

Lord Seth
2012-03-11, 09:02 PM
Anything on this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Horrible/Fanfic) page,Meh, not really. Like a lot of things on TV Tropes, sadly, that's become infested with a bunch of stuff that really doesn't belong there but people put there anyway. Some of the stuff there may be bad and dumb...but among the worst fan fiction ever? Hardly.

Traab
2012-03-11, 09:04 PM
I dont have the title because I stopped reading it 2 chapters in a year or two ago and never looked back, so no link, but the basic gist of it was, It was a naruto fic where ramen was mentioned a dozen or more times in those chapters, each time spelled ramon. Kakasi and Saske were jerks, (actual spelling) and the sentences were so appallingly setup that I couldnt even tell you for sure what was going on in it. It was like it was written by a 4th grader, who was drunk. And yet it was so bad that I cant forget those little bits that I read.

There is a story that pretty much abuses all the god mode and harem tropes in a crossover story, and yet I enjoy greatly. The sfw version is here. (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6063505/1/) The basic gist is, harry potter learns that dumbledoore is evil. He gets ass kickingly powerful, beats voldemort, ruins dumbledoore, then leaves for america, where he meets with, and falls in love with, buffy the vampire slayer. This isnt much of a spoiler, all this takes place in the first 2 chapters or so. Over the course of the buffy series, he ends up "soul bonded" with buffy, hermione, cordelia, anya, faith, and jenny calenders identical twin sister. They then learn to reality hop and go join the stargate world.

The version I linked has the smut scenes cut out, but to give you some idea, that means the story is at least 1/3 shorter because of it. There are almost 200 lemons, none of them short. Im not going to ruin the whole story for you, but suffice it to say, it crosses over with dozens of other 'worlds, including xmen, highlander, iron man, underworld, justice league, star trek, star wars, and many, many more. And yes, half or more of the hot females in each world end up with harry as well. The basic plot is harry saves the day in each worlds canon storyline. Generally by being awesome and sleeping with all the girls. The main focus is in stargate though, with the rest being mostly side stories as a break from the stargate world.

Lord Seth
2012-03-11, 09:22 PM
I dont have the title because I stopped reading it 2 chapters in a year or two ago and never looked back, so no link, but the basic gist of it was, It was a naruto fic where ramen was mentioned a dozen or more times in those chapters, each time spelled ramon. Kakasi and Saske were jerks, (actual spelling) and the sentences were so appallingly setup that I couldnt even tell you for sure what was going on in it. It was like it was written by a 4th grader, who was drunk. And yet it was so bad that I cant forget those little bits that I read.It might not even be online anymore. Searching for "ramon kakasi saske" just turns up a bunch of Spanish sites.

Was it on fanfiction.net? If it contained tons of misspellings and grammar problems, it may have been pulled.

Tengu_temp
2012-03-11, 09:39 PM
Cloud Mows The Lawn. Though I didn't find it too atrocious, it's just that stuff involving poop squicks people out.

My Immortal is a trollfic. Same with Doom: Repercussions of Evil and Half Life Full Life Consequences.

Cupcakes is meh. There's much worse out there.

In general, I'm very hard to squick out. I don't even recall the last time I needed brain bleach for anything. Maybe it's because I completely lost my internet innocence a few years ago. I wish I had it back.

Whiffet
2012-03-11, 09:43 PM
On topic, I'd say in general any fanfic writer that doesn't understand the long-standing rule that "rape/=a loving relationship" is bound to produce creepy, romanticized trash. Just look at every other fanfic involving The Joker.

Pretty much this. It's really disturbing how many people write about characters getting raped and then act like it's romantic. :smalleek:

Traab
2012-03-11, 09:51 PM
It might not even be online anymore. Searching for "ramon kakasi saske" just turns up a bunch of Spanish sites.

Was it on fanfiction.net? If it contained tons of misspellings and grammar problems, it may have been pulled.

Yeah it was there. And I wouldnt be surprised if it was pulled. I mean, ive got a few stories in my favorites list that started off with HORRIFIC grammar and sentence structure, but they improved over time, and were genuinely interesting stories, that one was just an abomination.

There was this story The Story of Uzumaki Naruto that was actually kind of good and kind of bad, but the most groan worthy section to me was during the second round prelims where the phrase "proud kunoichi of the leaf" was used 6 times in as many sentences. It went something like.

"It is because of my friends that i have become a proud kunoichi of the leaf."

"Do you think that I could become a proud kunoichi of the leaf? "

"I have faith in you, and think you could become a proud kunoichi of the leaf."

"Then I shall train hard, and become a proud kunoichi of the leaf."

"Dont worry, my friends and I will help you to become a proud kunoichi of the leaf."

I am exaggerating a bit, but it was the same phrase used multiple times in a very short time frame, it gets a bit annoying. The other downside was that it turned naruto in a a gary stu. He basically goes on a 6 month training trip after he graduates with anko, and becomes chunin level in taijutsu, kenjutsu, ninjutsu, jounin level chakra control, and learns the rasengan. He learns to forge weapons, masters high end fuinjutsu, and creates a sword capable of standing up to zabuzas weapon, and gets good enough with a blade to face him in a battle after only those few months of training. He is also able to make friends with anyone but sasuke, and insipres everyone around him. he is a natural leader, is dating anko, even though she is 10 years older than him, it turns out she is a sweet heart, only acts crazy as a mask. Oh yeah, and he invents a dozen justu or more, that range from c-b rank to s rank. As a final note, HE HELPS THE SANDAIME DEFEAT OROCHIMARU. I mean he REALLY helps, saves the sandaimes life, destroys the first hokage, and maims orochimarus arms.

So yeah, its definitely over the top. There were a lot of spoilers in there, so PLEASE dont read if you want to check out the story. And yet it was still a decent read. Too bad it got abandoned, (unofficially)

Lappy9001
2012-03-11, 10:27 PM
I'll always be a fan of Half Life: Full Life Consequences (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2945837/1/Halflife_Fulllife_Consequences), alongside sequels (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2946082/1/Halflife_FullLife_Consequences_2_WhatHasTobeDone) and attributed animations (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHxyZaZlaOs):smalltongue:

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/5/58178/1171476-full_life_consequences_430x322.jpg

Forum Explorer
2012-03-11, 10:32 PM
Cloud Mows The Lawn. Though I didn't find it too atrocious, it's just that stuff involving poop squicks people out.

My Immortal is a trollfic. Same with Doom: Repercussions of Evil and Half Life Full Life Consequences.

Cupcakes is meh. There's much worse out there.

In general, I'm very hard to squick out. I don't even recall the last time I needed brain bleach for anything. Maybe it's because I completely lost my internet innocence a few years ago. I wish I had it back.

Sadly true. The worst thing is that some of those things are movies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Human_Centipede_(First_Sequence)) that then got a sequel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Human_Centipede_2_(Full_Sequence))

I'm usually pretty good at avoiding bad fan fictions and for that matter other horrifying things on the internet. (Usually by believing the poster who says that you don't want to see it.) I can't remember why I read Cupcakes but it was the worst thing I've ever read.

Thane of Fife
2012-03-11, 10:59 PM
Topless Robot (http://www.toplessrobot.com/) runs a weekly 'Fan Fiction Friday where they read really terrible fanfics. There are some there that are exceptionally unpleasant, though thankfully the commentary makes them much easier to read.

But yeah, if you're interested in bad fanfic, that's definitely a place to check out. (Note that while Topless Robot should be safe for work, the fanfics that they read are not).

Telonius
2012-03-11, 11:07 PM
Most desperate need of fanfic brain bleach? The time I found out that Rule 34 applies to Fraggle Rock.

:smalleek:

Pokonic
2012-03-11, 11:15 PM
In general, it depends on if you see "badness" as pure bad writing, just needlessly gory, or simply troll-like.

Every fandom has there badly-written troll fics (some more than others), and those can simply be looked at as comady. My Immortal is one of these. Another would simply be bad,bad writing. Rose Potter is almost evil in the stuff she does and the readers are supposed to see her as a better version of canon Potter. Most writers like this might be good, in all respects, but are focused on there Mary Sues or dedicated to crushing canon in there Self-Insertion fics that it's unbearable to read them.

As for needlessly gory, murder-a-puppy-and-hang-the-organs-like-party-streamers-fics, the issue is not that the idea behined the story is bad, it's just that the writers of such stories are often young, bored teens who wish to write creepy crap for the luz and see what happens. As in, I am all for a blood flowing and limbs rending good time, but sadly most writers cannot do that well without looking creepy or doing it to the point where it's almost comical. Not going to name-drop any potter fics, to protect your thoughts.

I must seem crazy because of that last paragraph, eh? :smalltongue:

hobbitkniver
2012-03-11, 11:57 PM
My Immortal (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6480487/1/My_Immortal_Special_Edition) is pretty hard to beat, although opinion's still divided on whether it's genuine or a troll. :smalltongue: Runner-up would probably be Rose Potter.

edit: Changed link. This page should be SFW, at least I think so?

Hands down. Absolute worst.

Lord Seth
2012-03-12, 12:17 AM
Hands down. Absolute worst.No. Even ignoring the comedic value of My Immortal which honestly should immediately disqualify it from the running, it's still not that bad.

Saph
2012-03-12, 06:06 AM
No. Even ignoring the comedic value of My Immortal which honestly should immediately disqualify it from the running, it's still not that bad.

Yes it is. The spelling, grammar, and sentence structure are epically bad. It's hilarious because of how bad it is, not because of any merit to the writing.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-03-12, 09:47 AM
When I just started to get into anime and internet fandoms, I found a Saint Seiya fanfic, to this day I can't read any fanfic on that fandom due that story, M-pregnancy, rape, incests, everything in a spelling and grammar mutilating package....

Also there was a pretty good Evil Naruto Fanfic that started great, it made sense was incredibly written, the plot was awesome; but as the story developed the Author started to bash Kishimoto on regular basis, the gore became more descriptive, the plot devolved into a non-nonsensical rape/murder fest. It became so bad that I couldn't finish reading it. A shame cause at the start I really enjoyed it as it was quite different from all the "Evil Naruto" out there.

Tengu_temp
2012-03-12, 10:43 AM
For those who think My Immortal is the worst out there: just read the synopsis of some really vile fanfics, like Celebrian. Seriously, there's some really disturbing **** out there, and often just as atrociously written. My Immortal is harmless.

DiscipleofBob
2012-03-12, 10:52 AM
Oh god there was this horrible Spider-Man fanfic where Aunt May got shot and pretty much everyone in the Marvel universe refused to help save her. So Spider-Man had to, get this, make a deal with Mephisto to save Aunt May which involved 1) erasing his marriage with Mary Jane, 2) erasing the existence of his unborn child, and 3) retconning him having revealed his secret identity. So ridiculous.

Eakin
2012-03-12, 11:39 AM
It's not really fan fiction, but The Eye of Argon is pretty legendary for being so poorly written. Originally written by a sixteen year old kid in 1970, it's so bad that sci fi conventions set up dramatic readings, and it spawned its own party game where you try to read it out loud exactly as written until you burst out laughing at which point you're supposed to hand it off to the next person (and drink, under some variations)

Traab
2012-03-12, 11:43 AM
Oh god there was this horrible Spider-Man fanfic where Aunt May got shot and pretty much everyone in the Marvel universe refused to help save her. So Spider-Man had to, get this, make a deal with Mephisto to save Aunt May which involved 1) erasing his marriage with Mary Jane, 2) erasing the existence of his unborn child, and 3) retconning him having revealed his secret identity. So ridiculous.

Bull, there is no way even the most diseased minds of the worst fanfic authors out there could come up with a story THAT bad.

Maxios
2012-03-12, 11:44 AM
Well, I'm just glad nobody mentioned my fanfic yet :smalltongue:.

To DoB: I read that one too. I think the worst Spidey fan fic has to be the one where he gets cloned.

ThePhantasm
2012-03-12, 01:09 PM
Eragon. :smallwink:

Chess435
2012-03-12, 02:14 PM
Eragon. :smallwink:

I see what you did there. :smallcool:

TheZenMaster
2012-03-12, 02:32 PM
Bull, there is no way even the most diseased minds of the worst fanfic authors out there could come up with a story THAT bad.

Then, the author when responding to all the hate he received just said "Its magic, I don't have to explain it".

Seriously.

Lord Seth
2012-03-12, 08:04 PM
Yes it is. The spelling, grammar, and sentence structure are epically bad.There's easily worse examples of that out there. Easily. I've read fan fiction that makes My Immortal's grammar and spelling look good by comparison. And My Immortal, at least from what I've read of it, didn't descend into things like gorn.

It's hilarious because of how bad it is, not because of any merit to the writing.Which is exactly why it shouldn't qualify for the worst. It's bad, but it's funny bad. The worst ones are the ones that are so bad you can't even get that kind of enjoyment out of it.

And again, even ignoring the above paragraph, there's still far worse stories out there.

Brother Oni
2012-03-12, 08:19 PM
There was this story The Story of Uzumaki Naruto that was actually kind of good and kind of bad, but the most groan worthy section to me was during the second round prelims where the phrase "proud kunoichi of the leaf" was used 6 times in as many sentences.

Please tell me that Naruto wasn't using that phrase. If he was, I may have to go and kill something small and defenceless. :smallmad:

Dusk Eclipse
2012-03-12, 08:26 PM
Considering the amount of fanfiction that either genderbent Naruto from the start or where they somehow mode-lock the Oiroke no Jutsu...I fear for small and defenceless things near you.

Traab
2012-03-12, 09:09 PM
Please tell me that Naruto wasn't using that phrase. If he was, I may have to go and kill something small and defenceless. :smallmad:

Nope, it was a conversation between hinata and sakura. Hinata had beaten sakura with ease because naruto is awesome and helped her self confidence, and sakura is a talentless fangirl. Sasuke is a **** (or is it redundant to even add that second part?) and sakura is doubting everything she has done up till then when they have the recursive proud kunoichi conversation. However, I cannot confirm that the authors followup story, The Story of Uzumaki Naruko, where he is a she, does not use that line. :p Seriously, its like the author had a neat idea, then wanted to use it twice. In that story, naruto is a girl named naruko, and she apparently lives with/is trained by anko and yugao. I didnt get very far, I cant stand gender swap stories.

Diskhotep
2012-03-12, 10:17 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned the great Christian Humber (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5661477/1/Christian_Humber_Reloaded)...

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-03-12, 10:26 PM
OK, this might be extra snarky, but here goes:

The Worst FanFic is anybody who wrote 5 star reviews of the novel The Unsuspecting Mage.

I saw this book as an ad on a webcomic, and figured, "What the Hell, it's free." Went to Amazon, read some of the reviews, then tried to read the book. Tried is the operative word, because The Unsuspecting Mage had to be the single WORST fantasy novel I've ever tried to read! Stilted dialogue, no plot, no point. It was like reading a scene by scene description of a video game! (Which is how another reviewer described it as well.)

Clearly all the 5 star reviews were written by the Author Himself, or his wife and/or kids. But they wrote as if they were fans of the book, so I'm defining that as Fan Fic... They are fans, and the positive reviews were pure Fiction!

Brother Oni
2012-03-13, 12:32 PM
Considering the amount of fanfiction that either genderbent Naruto from the start or where they somehow mode-lock the Oiroke no Jutsu...I fear for small and defenceless things near you.

No, it's just that kunoichi specifically means a female ninja and given the generally low amount of knowledge that fanfic writers mentioned here put into their work, the threat of getting even that wrong made my knuckles twitch. :smalltongue:

Alabenson
2012-03-13, 03:37 PM
The worst fanfic I've ever actually read would be the aforementioned "Cupcakes".
I know there are worse fanfics out there, I've just been able to avoid them.

Mewtarthio
2012-03-13, 04:07 PM
"Cupcakes" is too obviously meant to be shocking to actually shock me. Once the gorn starts, it's easy enough for me to redefine the characters as a couple of ponies with names that are coincidentally similar to characters on the show.

The worst fanfic I ever read was a Narnia fanfic. It starts out looking like a story about Susan years after The Last Battle, then it goes into this bizarre and disturbing sequence where Aslan dismembers and eats the Pevensie children while having sex with the White Witch. What makes it worse is that the author is actually a really good author. He's got this great Sherlock Holmes/HP Lovecraft crossover, and he's even written a number of original works. I just have no idea why anyone would write that fanfic...

Hazzardevil
2012-03-13, 04:23 PM
OK, this might be extra snarky, but here goes:

The Worst FanFic is anybody who wrote 5 star reviews of the novel The Unsuspecting Mage.

I saw this book as an ad on a webcomic, and figured, "What the Hell, it's free." Went to Amazon, read some of the reviews, then tried to read the book. Tried is the operative word, because The Unsuspecting Mage had to be the single WORST fantasy novel I've ever tried to read! Stilted dialogue, no plot, no point. It was like reading a scene by scene description of a video game! (Which is how another reviewer described it as well.)

Clearly all the 5 star reviews were written by the Author Himself, or his wife and/or kids. But they wrote as if they were fans of the book, so I'm defining that :smallcool:as Fan Fic... They are fans, and the positive reviews were pure Fiction!

I've read that, and it was awful, it seemed like you take a Marty stu from the modern world and pass judgements on medieval times and he then starts converting a street urchin to his way of thinking.
It seemed odd to me when the urchin (who was 14 I might add) says he visited a brothel.

Another spectacularly bad fanfic was literally, take 2 companions from Pokemon d/p have them interact in two paragraphs of dialogue and then they split up.

So basically a 2 year olds story book, only twice as long and add in 2 generic characters who are pretty much 2 NPC's from the first Pokemon game.

Necro_EX
2012-03-13, 04:36 PM
Sweet Apple Massacre. :|

I don't even know why I started reading it in the first place, then it was like a train wreck. I couldn't look away.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-03-13, 05:29 PM
Sweet Apple Massacre. :|

I don't even know why I started reading it in the first place, then it was like a train wreck. I couldn't look away.

And that is exactly why I avoid those kinds of Fanfics...