PDA

View Full Version : When are mecha not mecha...? (3.5 feat with PrC overture, PEACH)

Veklim
2012-03-13, 06:03 PM
When they're a Bastion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254199).

This feat is with a view to a PrC, accessable by all and sundry (although with a spellcaster it's less likely to be worth it...) and it all started with my friend (and long-term player of all my campaigns) Kale. He wanted a PrC to allow him to pilot a mecha, I told him 'Stop mixing your genres and start that BESM campaign of yours, that one HAS MECHA IN IT!'....but it got me thinking. The Bastion will eventually be a PrC with lists of sweet, snacky and eventually downright outrageous abilities, for which you may cherry-pick your likes throughout the class (allowing for a hopefully highly customisable PrC). For the timebeing, you need a basis, i.e. the armour. This is how you get it, what I'll let you do with it is yet to come.

First things first, check out the feat, and tell me if it seems waaaay too much, I have tried to use Soul Forge as a balancing point, unsure of the wisdom in such actions, but that's another debate in itself...without further ado, I give you:

Forge Bastion
There exists an obscure ritual whose origins have been lost to the flow of time (a library or other such repository of knowledge and a DC 25 Knowledge (Arcana, Psionic or History) check required to research the ritual). Some say it came from the dwarves in their first great war, others believe it to be a twisted perversion of the already dark rituals surrounding the creation of a lich, others still hold to the idea that halflings first created the ritual to defend their humble farmsteads and communities from far larger enemies. Regardless of the origins, the ritual known simply as 'Forging The Bastion' is an oddity amongst similar magics. It requires the participant to instil a portion of their very soul and being inside a set of armour, which forever more functions as if it were a part of them. This armour is neither arcane or psionic in nature, but behaves as if such in many ways, using the power of it's wearer's soul to weave it's own defences.
Requirements: Masterwork suit of armour with which you are proficient, Craft (appropriate for chosen armour) 8 ranks, Knowledge (Aranca, Psionic or History) 4 ranks
Benefits: When the character takes this feat, they must don the required masterwork suit of armour and perform a ritual lasting 8 hours whilst wearing it. This requires 500gp in materials and the expenditure of 250xp upon completion of the ritual, at which time a small part of the character's soul is transferred to the armour giving the following benefits;
The armour gains an enhancement bonus equal to +1/4 character levels. This bonus is treated as both psionic and magic for all purposes, but may be supressed equally well by applicable anti-magic and anti-psionic effects.
The armour check penalty for wearing your bastion armour is reduced by 2, to a minimum of 0.
You no longer suffer fatigue, exhaustion, or any other mundane negative effects (besides encumberance) for wearing your bastion armour.
These qualities are in addition to the masterwork or special material qualities the armour already had.
Your bastion armour only functions whilst you are wearing it, at any other time it appears and functions simply as masterwork armour. If the armour is ever lost, stolen or destroyed, you may complete a 10 minute version of the ritual and expend another 250xp (no materials are required for this) to summon it intact directly onto you as if you had donned it, displacing any clothing you may be wearing already and leaving them in a pile in front of you. This ability functions between planes and even inside anti-magic/psionic effects (although the armour itself will still be supressed inside such effects).
Special: Your bastion armour may be enchanted (either psionically, magically, or even both) as long as you remain present for the entire process of enchanting. The armour only ever counts as a +1 item for this purpose, but half of all xp costs for the enchanting must be paid by the wearer (unless you are the one enchanting the bastion, in which case you still pay all of the cost). You are still limited to a maximum of a +5 equivalent bonus from armour abilities, but these may be a mixture of arcane and psionic abilities.

Barbarian MD
2012-03-13, 08:41 PM
Subscribing. I'm curious to see where this goes.

If you're looking for inspiration, there's a 3rd party book called Sorcery and Steam (available in PDF at DriveThruRPG).

Veklim
2012-03-14, 06:44 AM
Subscribing. I'm curious to see where this goes.Sweet, in at the ground floor eh? :smallwink:
It's gonna take a little time to compile ideas and abilities and then to balance out the options in coherant lists, but I'll get going ASAP.

Meantime, anything you'd personally like to see a mecha-type character doing?
I already have half formed stuff for:
Physical Abilities, provisionally called 'Hardware':
Alternate movement types and bonus utility (fly speed, climb fighting, etc)
Size increases on an ability tree (capped out depending upon the size of the Bastion armour, light armour will only get to powerful build, medium will get to large size and heavy could potentially get to large with powerful build. Upgrades will work on actual size so powerful build won't grant access to heavier upgrades, marking a difference in light Bastions to heavier versions)
Heavy ranged and close combat weaponry, in a variety of formats depending on what you choose (and what proficiencies/feats you already have)
Shielding/armour upgrades which will reduce/negate certain energies, damage in general and even touch attacks (displacement effects will come under shielding)
Limited intelligence in the Bastion armour itself, granting reflex boni and some of the familiar/psicrystal benefits (starts with animal level, increases with a second ability to 'higher' thought)
Enhanced skills, provisionally called 'Software' will also be put together.

If you're looking for inspiration, there's a 3rd party book called Sorcery and Steam (available in PDF at DriveThruRPG).Will check it out when I find some time, cheers! :smallbiggrin:

@The Playground:
Am I to believe this feat is fine as it is..?

The Corinthian
2012-03-14, 07:27 AM
I like the idea, but I think the ritual is too cheap. It should cost at least as much gold to make a Bastion as it does to make a suit of +1 armor. Compared to Craft Magic Arms and Armor, this feat is far narrower, but grants significant fringe benefits and does not require spellcasting ability.

I also have a problem with this clause:

If the armour is ever lost, stolen or destroyed, you may complete a 10 minute version of the ritual and expend another 250xp (no materials are required for this) to summon it intact directly onto you as if you had donned it, displacing any clothing you may be wearing already and leaving them in a pile in front of you. This ability functions between planes and even inside anti-magic/psionic effects (although the armour itself will still be supressed inside such effects).

If you want a new suit, you should have to perform the ritual again. And it should be a new suit.

Veklim
2012-03-14, 10:38 AM
I like the idea, but I think the ritual is too cheap...Compared to Craft Magic Arms and Armor, this feat is far narrower, but grants significant fringe benefits and does not require spellcasting ability.
More to the point, you can only ever make one for yourself, so it's essentially a one shot deal for a single bit of kit. Perhaps it could be a little more expensive though...

It should cost at least as much gold to make a Bastion as it does to make a suit of +1 armorThat would make it 500gp and only 40xp. How about making it 500gp and 250xp then, will that be more reasonable?

I also have a problem with this clause...If you want a new suit, you should have to perform the ritual again. And it should be a new suit.

Whereas I understand how this can rankle a bit, there is a very good reason for it. I'm presenting a feat which, even without the PrC it's intended for, is still an investment of a whole feat. To then ask the feat holder to not only pay up for the kit, but to be expected to go through the entire process again because a goblin with a greatsword got REALLY lucky on a sunder check or two is beyond unfair. On a more fluffy, but still relevent point, you don't just give over xp, you instil part of your very essence within the Bastion, making it an extension of yourself. This means as long as you're alive then the armour still exists, at least in potentia.

If I were to make it so you must complete the entire ritual again, there would be 2 consequences I can foresee immediately:
1. All xp you've invested into the previous suit is lost, if you can't essentially 'summon/repair' (Guyver style) then pretty soon people will lose interest in even trying to enchant their armour. They pay well enough as it is, just to get it (bear in mind that 250xp would be enough to repair an item with a cost of 12,500gp, that's halfway between the cost for a +3 and a +4)
2. The Bastion would always end up destroyed halfway through a horrific dungeon quest, no way out, and no materials to make a new one, thus further inhibiting the poor classes who aren't fullcasters.

Thing is, they already end up paying well above standard prices in xp when intitially creating this, and then have to pay above top dollar AGAIN if they need repair it (for most of the time anyhow, eventually the armour would actually be worth more, especially if it was enchanted). If you have a suggestion on how to work around these problems then I'm all ears, I'm just not sure how else to make it even vaguely fair/attractive as a feat investment outside of the PrC entry requirement.

zegram 33
2012-03-14, 11:08 AM
he, i was hoping this would be a white knight chronicles style prestige class.
it is a cool feat though, and i must say i totally agree with allowing the armour to be "resummoned"

Barbarian MD
2012-03-14, 05:53 PM
Heck, at some point in the PrC I'm expecting you to be able to summon the armor as a swift action with no XP cost and for it to become non-sunderable in the first place, so if anything 250 xp seems too expensive. But that's just me.

Veklim
2012-08-28, 05:39 PM
Resurreecting this in advance of the Bastion PrC class, which is nearly ready to post!

Was hoping for a breif brainstorm on common mecha/battlesuit themes and abilities with a D&D twist. I already have many ideas for defensive stuff, need inspiration for 15 or so offensive abilities, with at least 2 for each specific size of armour (light, medium and heavy). Just brainstorming, shall link the class up in my sig once it's rolling!

DracoDei
2012-08-28, 10:41 PM
Portal-cut one of your hands off and send it flying on a chain, which then retracts, reattaching your hand... yes, this makes no sense, but "ROCKET PUNCH!" is a 'thing' for mecha.

Flight... rocket-based for flame damage optional.

Macross Magic Missile Massacre.

Substitute charisma score for strength and/or dexterity (high-level ability, but fits at least TTGL and maybe Robotech too).

Lots of ranged attack options?

Veklim
2012-08-29, 10:55 AM
*creepy kid voice* He's here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13807044#post13807044)...