PDA

View Full Version : A Monk for All Editions (Pre 4th)

Master Arminas
2012-03-14, 11:55 AM
This is my first post here on GitP forums, although I have followed Order of the Stick for quite some time now. Today, I would like to share some of my work with you.

This character class revision is the (hopefully) final version of the monk class that I have working on for quite a while. The original thread on Paizo (The Pathfinder Monk as it Should Have Been) covers much of the discussions about this class and its progression to this state. I would like to thank the following members of this board for their assistance, their advice, their excellent suggestions and feedback, and their contributions to making the class into what has become a masterpiece (in no particular order): Drejk, Darkwing Duck, Ayronc, Ciretose, TOZ, Kryzbyn, Lorekeeper, Kyrt-Ryder, GatFromKI, TheJeff, Kirth Gersen, Captain Sir Hexen Ineptus, D’arandriel, CaspianM, Laurefindel, Paulcynic, Jason S, ThatEvilGuy, MDT, Tacticslion, Bobson, Apraham Lincoln, Aosaw, and Netherek. Without your contributions, ideas, and advice, this would have a much poorer attempt at a revised class. Thank you all. Special thanks need to go to Treantmonk, whose in-depth guide gave me much to think about in what should and should not be changed.

I also need to extend a most sincere thank you to Erik Mona, Sean K Reynolds, James Jacobs, Jason Bulmahn, and all of the other hard-working men and women who have fought for, preserved, and added extensively to our game. Gentlemen, ladies, without you and your efforts on behalf of this system that Gary and Dave gave us long ago, we would be wandering in the desolation without guidance or hope. Thank you, and everyone at Paizo, for what you have managed to accomplish.

The monk has long been my favorite AD&D character class; dating back to my first participation in the Game that Gygax created back in ’86. My first character was monk, and I fell in love with the game and the class. I delved deep into AD&D, and then I discovered the Dragon Magazine monk from the article He’s Got a Lot to Kick About. That monk was quickly adopted by my group and we continued using it throughout 2nd edition.

Then came 3.0, or The Great Change. I was overjoyed that the monk was once again a core part of the game that loved, but there were many things about the class that disappointed me. Gone were many of the neat abilities from the original and Best of Dragon monks, and it suffered from the linear infinitely progressive system of Wizards of the Coast. 3.5 corrected some of those flaws, but the monk remained a back-bencher: and the focus on Eastern weapons and flavor soured it in the minds of many. And last, but not least, Pathfinder accomplished some good things with the class, but it still lagged behind and suffered.

The debate over the past week (the proposed nerf to flurry of blows) caused me to go back and look at the Monk class yet again. Inspired by everyone's questions and advice and rants, I thought that I could transform the Pathfinder monk into a class that fits all of our expectations, yet isn't over powered. It builds off of my own Monk and incorporates a few things from that design, but this one is a bit different.

The thread is named A Monk for All Editions because I felt that every edition had something good in their take on the monk. So you will see elements of 1st edition AD&D, Wizards 3.0/3.5 take, and Pathfinders own monk class here. By blending them together, I think that his time we have come up with something far greater than just the sum of its individual parts. This version, I feel, brings back to life some of that spirit of the AD&D monk, based on the character’s portrayed by David Carradine, Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Chuck Norris, Jean Claude Van Damn, Steven Seagal, and many others both classical and modern. It brings to life, in my opinion, the feel of the old television serials, the movies from Enter the Dragon to Bulletproof Monk, and adds modern wuxia to the class.

I have tried to stay true to the concept and ideals of the monk as a mystic martial artist. This version doesn’t have full BAB, nor the biggest Hit Die; but his class features place him squarely among the martial classes in ability. He can’t fight as well as a full BAB class, but no full BAB class can do the other things the monk can. He has become a superb light fighter and skirmisher, a scout that a player can role-play without fears of not contributing to combat. And he still haves those nifty, neat, esoteric powers that made the monk so unique in days of old.

I have posted the entire class, and many of the changes are subtle; I would suggest therefore that you take your time reading over the class and don't be afraid to reread a section or two. It keeps the basic framework of Pathfinder, but incorporates changes based on the old AD&D monk, the Best of Dragon monk, and the Wizard's 3.0/3.5 attempts. It is not owing any lineage to 2nd edition, however (whose monks were merely clerics lite). This version is a mystic warrior, with supernatural powers and abilities common to wuxia and older martial arts traditions, and yet it hits as hard as Bruce Lee or Chuck Norris. Any playtesting that you do, I would like to know how it turns out.

This material not is not meant for publication; it is merely my own interpretation of the monk class. Feel free to use it, or to modify it, and above all, remember to enjoy your game.

This post also includes two new feats (well, an old feat redone and renamed, and a new one) and two new magic items. I hope that you enjoy this and may you have many fond days of gaming ahead of you. Let me know what you think.

Master Arminas

A Monk for All Editions

For the truly exemplary, martial skill transcends the battlefield: it is a lifestyle, a doctrine, a state of mind. These warrior-artists search out methods of battle beyond swords and shields, finding within themselves weapons that are just as capable of crippling or killing as any blade. These monks (so called since they adhere to strict martial disciplines and ancient philosophies passed down through the generations since the mythical War between Law and Chaos) elevate their bodies to become weapons of war. Monks tread the path of discipline and self-enlightenment, and those with the will to endure that path discover within themselves not what they are, but what they are meant to be.

Role: This version of the monk class is, first and foremost, a skirmisher, a scout, a light fighter who relies on his innate abilities and ki to achieve literally inhuman results. He eschews clumsy armor and random weapons to instead achieve greatness through his own inner will and strength. His endurance and ability to sustain hardship is legendary, rivaled only by the toughest of barbarians and most skilled of rangers. His combat ability with attacks, damage, and maneuvers comes close to equaling more marital classes, yet he is more than merely a fighter. Wise beyond his years, the monk’s senses are keenly honed and he possesses an extensive array of techniques that permit him to accomplish acts that normally can be done only by a practitioner of magic. The varied selection of skills and talents that the monk has at his disposal make a valued member of any adventuring party.

Alignment: Any lawful.

Hit Die: d8.

BAB: Medium

Good Saves: Fort; Reflex; and Will

Class Skills: Acrobatics (Dex); Climb (Str); Craft (Int); Escape Artist (Dex); Perception (Wis); Perform (Cha); Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex); Sense Motive (Wis); Stealth (Dex); and Swim (Str). See monastic skill training (below) for additional class skills.

Skill Ranks per Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Weapons and Armor Proficiency: Monks are proficient with the club, crossbow (light or heavy), dagger, handaxe, javelin, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shortspear, short sword, shuriken, siangham, sling, and spear. Monks are not proficient with any armor or shields. When wearing armor, using a shield, or carrying a medium or heavy load, a monk loses his AC bonus from intuitive defense, as well as his fast movement and flurry of blows abilities (see below).

Intuitive Defense (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds his Wisdom bonus (if any) to his AC and his CMD. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC and CMD at 4th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every four monk levels thereafter, up to a maximum of +5 at 20th level.
These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears any armor, when he uses a shield, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.

Bonus Feat: At 1st level, 2nd level, and every 4 levels gained as a monk thereafter, a monk may select a bonus feat. These feats must be taken from the following list: Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Dodge, Improved Grapple, Improved Sunder, and Weapon Focus.
At 6th level, the following feats are added to the list: Improved Blind-Fight, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Ki Stand, Mobility, and The Waves and Wind (see new feats, below, for details).
At 10th level, the following feats are added to the list: Combat Expertise, Greater Blind-Fight, Improved Critical, Medusa’s Wrath, Snatch Arrows, and Spring Attack.
At 14th level, the following feats are added to the lists: Greater Bull Rush, Greater Disarm, Greater Grapple, Greater Sunder, and Greater Trip.
A monk need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them.

Fast Movement (Ex/Su): A monk’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit only applies when he is wearing no armor and is not carrying a medium or heavy load. This ability is extraordinary.
At 4th level, when a monk gains access to his ki pool (see below), the character can achieve literally superhuman bursts of speed for limited periods of time. As a free action, a monk can spend 1 point of ki to increase his speed by +20 feet. This speed increase lasts for 1 round per monk class level. At 8th level, and again every four levels gained thereafter, the monk's speed when using this ability increases by an additional +10 feet, to a maximum increase of +60 feet at 20th level.
The bonus speed granted to a monk through spending a ki point is a supernatural ability and does not stack with other effects, spells, and abilities that provide an enhancement bonus to the monk’s speed.

Monastic Skill Training: Different monasteries emphasize different skill sets for the monks that they train. At first level, a monk may choose any three of the following skills: Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Any) (Int), or Linguistics (Int). These skills become class skills for the monk. Once chosen, these selections are forever after fixed, even if the monk places no skill ranks in the specific skills selected.

Unarmed Strike (Ex): A monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A monk’s unarmed attack may be made with his fists, elbows, knees, feet, or even his head. This means that a monk may make unarmed strikes with his hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed. A monk may thus apply his full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all his unarmed strikes.
Usually a monk’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but he can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on his attack roll. He has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.
A monk deals more damage with his unarmed strikes than normal; from 1st-3rd level the damage is 1d6. This increases to 2d4 at 4th level. At 9th level, and every 5 monk levels gained thereafter, the damage increases by an additional 1d4, to a maximum of 5d4 at 20th level. The unarmed damage is for all monks, regardless of size. The techniques a monk learns do not alter the base damage of the class due to being either smaller or larger, although both Strength bonuses and penalties apply as normal.

Stunning Fist (Ex): The monk gains Stunning Fist as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. At 4th level, and every 4 levels gained as a monk thereafter, the monk gains the ability to apply a new condition to the target of his Stunning Fist. This condition replaces stunning the target for 1 round, and a successful saving throw still negates the effect.
At 4th level, he can choose to make the target fatigued. At 8th level, he can make the target sickened for 1 minute. At 12th level, he can make the target staggered for 1d6+1 rounds. At 16th level, he can permanently blind or deafen the target. At 20th level, he can paralyze the target for 1d6+1 rounds. The monk must choose which condition will apply before the attack roll is made. These effects do not stack with themselves (a creature sickened by Stunning Fist cannot become nauseated if hit by Stunning Fist again), but additional hits do increase the duration.
A monk can select which condition to apply each time he makes a stunning fist attack, limited only by his monk level.
A monk gains one use of this feat for every monk level he possesses, as described in the Stunning Fist feat.

Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level or higher, a monk can avoid damage from many area-effect attacks. If a monk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a monk is wearing no armor and is not carrying a medium or heavy load. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Flurry of Blows (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a monk can make a flurry of blows as a full-attack action. When doing so he may make one additional attack using any combination of the following weapons: club, dagger, handaxe, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shortspear, short sword, shuriken, siangham, spear, or unarmed strike. New weapons designated with the monk special property may be added to this list at a later date. This additional attack is made at the monk's highest attack bonus.
At 8th level, a monk gains a second bonus attack at his highest attack bonus when he uses flurry of blows.
At 15th level, a monk gains a third bonus attack at his highest attack bonus when he uses flurry of blows.
A monk applies his full Strength bonus to his damage rolls for all successful attacks made with a flurry of blows, whether the monk is fighting with unarmed strikes, a light weapon, a one-handed weapon, two weapons, a weapon and an unarmed strike, a double weapon, a thrown weapon, or a two-handed weapon.
A monk may substitute disarm, sunder, and trip combat maneuvers for unarmed attacks as part of a flurry of blows.
A monk cannot use any weapon other than an unarmed strike, a special monk weapon, or a weapon listed above as part of a flurry of blows.
A monk cannot use two-weapon fighting (see combat) to gain additional attacks when using flurry of blows.
A monk with natural weapons cannot use such weapons as part of a flurry of blows, nor can he make natural attacks in addition to his flurry of blows attacks.
A monk does not suffer any penalties when using flurry of blows (such as those normally associated with two-weapon fighting), regardless of whether he wields a light weapon, a one-hand weapon, a double-weapon, or a two-hand weapon.
A monk may wield two weapons, a double-weapon, or a two-handed weapon when using flurry of blows (provided that the weapon is a special monk weapon or one of those listed above) and may use unarmed strikes and weapons wielded in any combination during his flurry of blows attacks.

Maneuver Training (Ex): At 3rd level, a monk uses his monk level in place of his base attack bonus when calculating his Combat Maneuver Bonus and his Combat Maneuver Defense. Base attack bonuses granted from other classes are unaffected and are added normally.

Still Mind (Ex): A monk of 3rd level or higher gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against spells and effects of the enchantment school. This bonus increases in value to +4 at 10th level and to +6 at 17th level.

Ki Pool (Su): At 4th level, a monk gains a pool of ki points, supernatural energy he can use to accomplish amazing feats. The number of points in a monk's ki pool is equal to his monk level + his Wisdom modifier. As long as he has at least 1 point in his ki pool, he can make a ki strike. At 4th level, ki strike allows his unarmed attacks to be treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. Ki strike improves with the character's monk level. At 10th level, his unarmed attacks are also treated as lawful weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. At 16th level, his unarmed attacks are treated as adamantine weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction and bypassing hardness.
In addition to ki strike, a monk can spend points from his ki pool to achieve special short-term effects. By spending 1 point from his ki pool as a swift action, a monk can invoke any one of the following options: he can gain a +4 dodge bonus to AC for 1 round; he can gain a +4 insight bonus to his attacks for 1 round; he can gain a +4 insight bonus to his damage for 1 round; or he can gain one additional attack at his highest attack bonus when he uses his flurry of blows ability (see above).
A monk who moves or charges (including the use of the feat Spring Attack) and then makes a single attack with his unarmed strikes or a special monk weapon can spend 1 point from his ki pool as a swift action to gain one additional attack at his highest attack bonus.
A monk gains additional powers that consume points from his ki pool as he gains levels. The ki pool is replenished each morning after 8 hours of rest or meditation; these hours do not need to be consecutive.

Catfall (Su): At 4th level or higher, a monk can fall incredible distances without suffering damage. When falling, a monk always lands on his feet. In addition, he reduces the damage inflicted from a fall by 1d6 per monk level he possesses, to a maximum reduction of 20d6 at 20th level. Unlike magical spells (such as feather fall) with similar effects, a monk is not slowed during his descent, making this ability a favored method for higher level monks to rapidly descend great distances quickly. A monk gains the benefits of this ability so long as he has at least one point remaining in his ki pool.

Agility Training (Ex): At 5th level, a monk adds one-half his level (round down) to all Acrobatics skill checks and to the monk’s choice of either Climb or Swim skill checks. In addition, he always counts as having a running start when making jump checks using Acrobatics. By spending 1 point from his ki pool as a swift action, a monk can gain an additional +20 bonus on Acrobatics checks made to jump for 1 round.

Monastic Weapons Training (Ex): Starting at 5th level, a monk gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls when using any of the following weapons: club, dagger, handaxe, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shortspear, short sword, shuriken, siangham, spear, and unarmed strike. Additional weapons can be added to this list through the use of the Extra Monastic Weapons feat (see below). This bonus increases to +2 at 9th level, and by an additional +1 every four levels gained thereafter as a monk to a maximum bonus of +4 at 17th level.
A monk may add this bonus to any combat maneuver checks made with the listed weapons.
This bonus applies to the monk's Combat Maneuver Defense when defending against disarm and sunder attempts made against the character, if he is wielding one of the listed weapons.
This bonus is not an enhancement bonus and is not magical in nature; it instead reflects the training and honing of a monk's martial abilities.

Purity of Body (Ex): At 5th level, a monk gains immunity to all diseases, including supernatural and magical diseases (such as lycanthropy and mummy rot).

Speak with Animals (Ex): At 6th level, a monk can converse with any creature of the animal type, as per the spell speak with animals. Such conversations are limited by the animal’s intelligence (or lack thereof).

Wholeness of Body (Su): At 7th level or higher, a monk can heal his own wounds as a standard action. He can expend 1 point from his ki pool to heal a number of hit points of damage equal to 2d8 + his monk level + his Wisdom bonus (if any). A monk can instead spend 2 points from his ki pool to use this ability as a move action. If the monk spends 3 points from his ki pool, he may use this ability as a swift action.

Spiritual Endurance (Ex): At 8th level, a monk's training and inner reserves of ki allow him to comfortably exist in environments and conditions that would quickly sap the strength from others. He is considered to be under the influence of an endure elements spell at all times, ignoring the extremes of heat and cold. In addition, he may go for a number of days equal to one-half his monk level without eating or drinking before beginning to suffer adverse effects. He requires only four hours of sleep per night, provided that he also meditates for at least four hours as well. While meditating, a monk remains fully aware of his surroundings and may make Perception checks without penalty.

Duty Never Tires (Ex): At 9th level, a monk gains Endurance as a bonus feat. Furthermore, by spending 1 ki point as a swift action, he can ignore the effects of fatigue for 10 minutes per monk level. This ability only suppresses the fatigue; it does not remove it.

Improved Evasion (Ex): At 9th level, a monk’s evasion ability improves. He still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Unfettered Speech (Ex): At 10th level, a monk can converse with any creature of the plant type, as per the spell speak with plants. Such conversations are limited by the plant’s intelligence (or lack thereof). A monk can also converse with any creature of the magical beast type that has an Intelligence score of 1 or 2 (for the purpose of this ability, treat magical beasts as though they are animals and refer to the spell speak with animals).

Diamond Body (Ex): At 11th level, a monk gains immunity to poisons of all kinds.

Abundant Step (Su): At 12th level or higher, a monk can slip magically between spaces, as if using the spell dimension door. Using this ability is a move action that consumes 2 points from his ki pool. His caster level for this effect is equal to his monk level. Unlike the normal use of dimension door, the monk may take any remaining actions in a round after using this ability. He may take willing creatures with him when he uses this ability, so long as the monk does not exceed his maximum carrying capacity.

Diamond Soul (Ex): At 13th level, a monk gains spell resistance equal to his current monk level +11. In order to affect the monk with a spell, a spellcaster must get a result on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) that equals or exceeds the monk’s spell resistance. A monk gains the benefits of this ability so long as he has at least one point remaining in his ki pool.

Tongues (Ex): At 14th level, a monk can converse with any creature, as per the spell tongues. To communicate, a creature must be within 30 feet of the monk and both the monk and creature must have line-of-sight to each other. Furthermore, the monk is able to commune with stone (as per the druid spell stone tell), however to commune with stone the monk must be touching the stone object.

Quivering Palm (Su): Starting at 15th level, a monk can set up vibrations within the body of another creature that can thereafter be fatal if the monk so desires. He can use this quivering palm attack once per day, and he must announce his intent before making his attack roll. Creatures immune to critical hits cannot be affected; neither can creatures who are not living (undead or constructs). Otherwise, if the monk strikes successfully and the target takes damage from the blow, the quivering palm attack succeeds. Thereafter, the monk can try to slay the victim at any later time, as long as the attempt is made within a number of days equal to his monk level. To make such an attempt, the monk merely wills the target to die (a free action), and unless the target makes a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + ½ the monk’s level + the monk’s Wisdom modifier) it dies. If the saving throw is successful, the target instead takes twice the damage of the monk's unarmed strike (as if the monk had threatened and then confirmed a critical hit) and the quivering palm attack ends; the target may still die if he suffers enough damage from this attack to reduce him to negative hit points equal to his Constitution score. A monk can have no more than one quivering palm in effect at one time. If a monk uses quivering palm while another is still in effect, the previous effect is negated. This ability is a death effect.
At 17th level, and again at 19th level, the monk gains one additional daily use of this ability.

Timeless Body (Ex): At 16th level, a monk no longer takes penalties to his ability scores to his physical ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that he has already taken, however, remain in place. The initial roll made by the DM for the character’s maximum age (according to race) is discarded, and a new maximum age calculated. The random dice are maximized. For example, a human monk who reaches 16th level will live to a ripe old age of 110 years, while an elf monk could see 750 years. Age bonuses to the monk’s mental ability scores still accrue, and the monk still dies of old age when his time is up. This ability is not the same as immortality, and the monk can always die before his time due to violence.

Stalwart Soul (Ex): At 18th level, a monk no longer suffers any penalties for being fatigued (he still remains fatigued, however, for purposes of exhaustion). If the monk becomes exhausted, he may spend 2 ki points as a swift action to ignore the effects of exhaustion for 1 minute per monk level. This ability only suppresses the exhaustion; it does not remove it. A monk gains the benefits of this ability so long as he has at least one point remaining in his ki pool.

Empty Body (Su): At 19th level, a monk gains the ability to assume an ethereal state for 1 minute as though using the spell etherealness. Using this ability is a move action that consumes 3 points from his ki pool. This ability only affects the monk and cannot be used to make other creatures ethereal.

Perfect Self: At 20th level, a monk transcends his mortal limitations. He gains blindsight in a 30-foot radius. He gains immunity versus all hostile mind-affecting spells, spell-like abilities, and other effects (this replaces and does not stack with the still mind ability). Additionally, the monk gains damage reduction 10/chaotic, which allows him to ignore the first 10 points of damage from any attack made by a nonchaotic weapon or by any natural attack made by a creature that doesn’t have similar damage reduction. Furthermore, a monk who has attained this level of experience can go for twenty days without food or drink before suffering from ill effects. This replaces the duration listed under the duty never tires ability (see above). Finally, the monk’s bonuses accrued from monastic weapons training (see above) increase to provide a +5 bonus on attacks and damage.
The few monks who reach this level of achievement often retire from adventuring to explore what they are becoming. Only those with the strongest of ties to their companions and their homelands remain, but even these will eventually simply vanish one night, never to return.

Ex-Monks: A monk who becomes nonlawful cannot gain new levels as a monk but retains all monk abilities

New Feats

The Waves and The Wind
You channel your ki energy to breach the resistances that many creatures have, eroding them away as the wind and the waves cut into the rocky highlands.
Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +9, Dexterity 13, Wisdom 13, Improved Unarmed Strike, and Stunning Fist.
Benefit: You gain a +4 bonus on damage rolls when you make an unarmed strike against an opponent who possesses damage reduction of a type that you are unable to normally bypass. You do not receive the bonus damage if your unarmed strike is able to bypass the creature’s damage reduction. The Waves and The Wind may be chosen by a Fighter as one of his bonus feats, provided that he meets the listed prerequisites.

Extra Monastic Weapon
You are highly trained in the use of a non-standard monk weapon.
Prerequisites: Monastic weapons training class feature, proficiency with the chosen weapon.
Benefit: Select one special monk weapon with which you are proficient. You may now apply the bonuses on attack and damage rolls from your monastic weapons training class feature to that weapon.
Special: You may select this feat multiple times. Each time you select this feat it must be applied a new special monk weapon with which you are proficient.

New Magic Items

Gloves of Perfect Striking
Aura: Faint (+1); Moderate (+2; +3); Strong (+4; +5) transmutation
CL: 3rd (+1); 6th (+2); 9th (+3); 12th (+4); 15th (+5)
Slot: Hands
Price: 2,000 gp (+1); 8,000 gp (+2); 18,000 gp (+3); 32,000 (+4); 50,000 gp (+5)
Weight: 1 lb.
Description: These finely crafted gloves of silk interior and leather exterior are fingerless and adjust themselves to tightly bind to the hands and wrist of the wearer. When worn, they provide the wearer with an enhancement bonus of between +1 and +5 on the attack and damage rolls of his unarmed strikes. Unlike standard magic weapons, the gloves cannot be enchanted with special weapon properties. Both gloves must be worn for the magic to function. The gloves do not enhance any form of natural weapons.
The enchantment of the gloves of perfect striking stacks with that of an amulet of mighty fists but only the highest enhancement bonus applies.
Construction
Requirements: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Items, magic weapon, crafter’s caster level must be at least three times the enhancement bonus bestowed.
Crafting Cost: 1,000 gp (+1); 4,000 gp (+2); 9,000 gp (+3); 16,000 gp (+4); 25,000 gp (+5)

The Pouch of Infinite Stars
Aura: Moderate conjuration
CL: 6th
Slot: --
Price: 13,000 gp
Weight: 1 lb.
Description: This leather pouch is designed to worn on a belt. Unremarkable in appearance, it is actually quite heavily enchanted. Upon looking into the pouch, it appears to contain ten shuriken. The wearer may draw and throw them as needed. The magic of this item then becomes readily apparent. At the start of the wearer's next turn, the pouch once again refills with ten new shuriken! The bearer of this item never need fear running out of throwing stars so long as he wears this item. Shuriken removed from the pouch vanish after one round, whether or not they are thrown or if they strike a target.
Twice per day, the bearer of the pouch may utter a command word as a swift action. After doing so, any shuriken he draws from the pouch possess a +2 enhancement bonus. This effect lasts until the start of the character’s next round. A few rare pouches only possess a +1 enhancement bonus, but also provide a +1 special weapon property, such as distance, flaming, frost, or seeking. Such pouches of infinite shuriken never possess the returning property.
Construction
Requirements: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Items, abundant ammunition, magic weapon*
Crafting Cost: 6,500 gp
*Pouches of infinite stars with a special weapon property, such as the pouch of infinite flaming stars or the pouch of infinite seeking stars add the spell listed in the special weapons property to the requirements listed above. See Magic Weapon Special Ability Descriptions (pg. 461-463) in the Core Reference Document for exact details.

Master Arminas
2012-03-14, 07:18 PM
Table I: Monk
Level BAB Fort Reflex Will Special
1 +0 +2 +2 +2 Intuitive Defense, Bonus Feat, Fast Movement, Monastic Skill Training, Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist
2 +1 +3 +3 +3 Bonus Feat, Evasion
3 +2 +3 +3 +3 Flurry of Blows, Still Mind
4 +3 +4 +4 +4 Ki Pool, Catfall
5 +3 +4 +4 +4 Agility Training, Monastic Weapons Training 1, Purity of Body
6 +4 +5 +5 +5 Bonus Feat, Speak with Animals
7 +5 +5 +5 +5 Wholeness of Body
8 +6/+1 +6 +6 +6 Spiritual Endurance
9 +6/+1 +6 +6 +6 Monastic Weapons Training 2, Duty Never Tires, Improved Evasion
10 +7/+2 +7 +7 +7 Bonus Feat, Unfettered Speech
11 +8/+3 +7 +7 +7 Diamond Body
12 +9/+4 +8 +8 +8 Abundant Step
13 +9/+4 +8 +8 +8 Monastic Weapons Training 3, Diamond Soul
14 +10/+5 +9 +9 +9 Bonus Feat, Tongues
15 +11/6/1 +9 +9 +9 Quivering Palm
16 +12/7/2 +10 +10 +10 Timeless Body
17 +12/7/2 +10 +10 +10 Monastic Weapons Training 4
18 +13/8/3 +11 +11 +11 Bonus Feat, Stalwart Soul
19 +14/9/4 +11 +11 +11 Empty Body
20 15/10/5 +12 +12 +12 Perfect Self

Table II: Monk
Level HTH AC Speed Flurry of Blows BAB
1 1d6 - - -
2 1d6 - - -
3 1d6 - - +2/+2
4 2d4 +1 +20’ +3/+3
5 2d4 +1 +20’ +3/+3
6 2d4 +1 +20’ +4/+4
7 2d4 +1 +20’ +5/+5
8 2d4 +2 +30’ +6/+6/+6/+1
9 3d4 +2 +30’ +6/+6/+6/+1
10 3d4 +2 +30’ +7/+7/+7/+2
11 3d4 +2 +30’ +8/+8/+8/+3
12 3d4 +3 +40’ +9/+9/+9/+4
13 3d4 +3 +40’ +9/+9/+9/+4
14 4d4 +3 +40’ +10/+10/+10/+5
15 4d4 +3 +40’ +11/+11/+11/+11/+6/+1
16 4d4 +4 +50’ +12/+12/+12/+12/+7/+2
17 4d4 +4 +50’ +12/+12/+12/+12/+7/+2
18 4d4 +4 +50’ +13/+13/+13/+13/+8/+3
19 5d4 +4 +50’ +14/+14/+14/+14/+9/+4
20 5d4 +5 +60’ +15/+15/+15/+15/+10/+5

Master Arminas
2012-03-15, 09:04 PM
I am shocked. No one has any thoughts, suggestions, comments, or criticisms. Shocked I say!

Master Arminas

Starbuck_II
2012-03-15, 09:17 PM
Well, compared to PF monk: you lack it at levels 1-2.
But you have attack penalty when using so better than PF. But you use 3/4th BAB not full like PF.
So overall, not sure.

Catfall is better than slow fall. Really this is what it should have been.

Monastic Weapons Training: helps bridge gap of hit bonus loss by being 3/4th BAB.

Perfect Self: better than PF version.

So for levels 1-2 compared to other editions, a player loses Flurry but gets a bonus feat but gets more skills trained.

Intuitive Defense (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds his Wisdom bonus (if any) to his AC and his CMD. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC and CMD at 4th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every four monk levels thereafter, up to a maximum of +5 at 20th level.
These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears any armor, when he uses a shield, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.

Doesn't this create double dipping?
Wis bonus to AC adds To CMD already. This adds it twice?

T.G. Oskar
2012-03-15, 10:14 PM
I am shocked. No one has any thoughts, suggestions, comments, or criticisms. Shocked I say!

Master Arminas

Patience, Grasshopper, Patience!

If anything, there are a few things I still consider troubling. For starters, there's still the slight problem of being a "skirmisher" class but Flurry still requires a full attack action. This has always been a problem for Monks, and aside from the expenditure of ki to gain an extra attack after movement, there is no synergy between what's expected to be the best method of combat for the Monk (particularly since you've specified Flurry and TWF can work in unison).

Another thing is the Monastic Skill Training ability. By definition, you may want to get Diplomacy and perhaps Intimidate, but you won't have enough Charisma to make them useful. However, they are necessary so that you can take advantage of the ability to speak with animals and other things, so unless you make good use of those skills. Then you get Tongues, and by all means you effectively make Linguistics half-worthless (you do keep the ability to decipher scripts, because of how Pathfinder skills work).

The rest of the class really doesn't shine: you get most of the classic 3.5/PF Monk chassis almost intact, with a few clarifications, but you also keep some of its troubling aspects. Sure, 5d4 at around 20th level may seem quite surprising, alongside six attacks (four of which have your highest attack bonus), but you lack reach weapons or mobility options to make them worthwhile. Gloves of Perfect Striking should allow for weapon enhancements, because your fists won't do that much against incorporeal creatures (50% miss chance HURTS), nor you'll be able to take advantage of other enhancements to add to damage, such as Holy or Speed. While you might have a pretty high hit rate (because of how many things stack), all you'll mostly do is raise the numbers, which isn't usually a good idea. The rest of the weapons sacrifice your higher damage with fists for the ability to be enchanted, which is never really a replacement.

That said, it's good to see another 'brew that at least considers special Monk weapons beyond the scope of Ki Strike and Flurry. The class should be pretty good with combat maneuvers (for as long as they work, until FoM starts to negate most of them and other spells do the same). I'd recommend making Diamond Body grant a degree of damage reduction, because even though the DR you get at 20th level is better than the original (chaotic instead of magic), it's still TOO late. Purity of Body can have the immunity to poisons and diseases, if only because they stop being a nuisance right around that level, or around level 7 actually (Neutralize Poison and Remove Disease).

In any case, you should consider adding a bit more. The Monk still has many problems with how it's built, considering it still lacks a proper way to fight flying opponents (shuriken don't reach that far and crossbows don't get those nifty damage bonuses or extra attacks), invisible or concealed opponents, opponents with different methods of damage reduction, amongst others. Furthermore, it still fails somewhat at being the skirmisher, since you're limited to Spring-Attacking for one (or two) attacks, or standing still for 6+ attacks. The rest of the abilities aren't much of a change compared to the Pathfinder version (which barely changed much from the 3.5 version itself), so the end result really doesn't lift the Monk from where it is. You should revise it a bit, check on the Monkday threads (aka all Monk threads in the main Gaming forum, which usually start on Mondays hence the term) and figure out what's the problem with Monks to refine your concept. Though, I'd hate to lose the love for monk weapons.

Master Arminas
2012-03-15, 11:07 PM
Doesn't this create double dipping?
Wis bonus to AC adds To CMD already. This adds it twice?

Hmmm? I didn't mean to. I thought I used the language from Pathfinder. Not, it is not meant to add twice.

Master Arminas

Kellus
2012-03-16, 12:17 AM
I guess the problem with the monk was that it didn't have enough weird useless fringe abilities.

But seriously, you didn't fix any of the core problems with the monk. Medium BAB, full-action flurry of blows, underwhelming abilities that we're supposed to care about way later than they would have been useful (who seriously cares about exhaustion effects at 18th level?), and so on. Even more than the 3.5 monk, it seems like it's five different ideas of what a 'monk' is, crammed into one class. More is not better in this scenario. Having a ton of class features isn't a good thing if none of them are worth anything, it just makes it harder to remember what all you can do.

Other issues:

What possible balance concern do you have with allowing nonlawful characters to enter the class.
Why can you still not enchant magical gloves for unarmed attacks when you specifically made magical gloves for unarmed attacks.
Everything useful keys off ki points, which you don't get nearly nearly nearly enough of. That rationing should be per hour, or per encounter unless you want them to never do anything cool ever.
Some of the wording seems weirdly over-specific. You don't need to rewrite rules like spell resistance, it's generally understood what it means. Especially since you rewrote it wrong, since your definition doesn't mention that it's only effective against spells with Spell Resistance: Yes. In a similar vein, your definition of Damage Reduction is wrong, in that creatures with the same Damage Reduction as you don't automatically bypass it. Creatures automatically bypass it if they have the alignment subtype of the kind that bypasses your DR, in this case the [Chaotic] subtype. I looked it up in the PFSRD just in case that was one of their weird rule changes, and that rule comes from nowhere. So unless you actually mean to be giving them some kind of weird stealth-nerfed (and very well buried) Damage Reduction that follows it's own rules, you should probably take another look at it.
It shouldn't be a feat just to use your extra cool monk weapons well. That's just a feat tax for wanting to be kick-ass.

Still, good to see the monk getting some love. It has serious issues, but unfortunately this version seems to exacerbate the problems, not alleviate them. Keep up the good work!

Master Arminas
2012-03-16, 10:06 AM
I guess the problem with the monk was that it didn't have enough weird useless fringe abilities.

But seriously, you didn't fix any of the core problems with the monk. Medium BAB, full-action flurry of blows, underwhelming abilities that we're supposed to care about way later than they would have been useful (who seriously cares about exhaustion effects at 18th level?), and so on. Even more than the 3.5 monk, it seems like it's five different ideas of what a 'monk' is, crammed into one class. More is not better in this scenario. Having a ton of class features isn't a good thing if none of them are worth anything, it just makes it harder to remember what all you can do.

Other issues:

What possible balance concern do you have with allowing nonlawful characters to enter the class.
Why can you still not enchant magical gloves for unarmed attacks when you specifically made magical gloves for unarmed attacks.
Everything useful keys off ki points, which you don't get nearly nearly nearly enough of. That rationing should be per hour, or per encounter unless you want them to never do anything cool ever.
Some of the wording seems weirdly over-specific. You don't need to rewrite rules like spell resistance, it's generally understood what it means. Especially since you rewrote it wrong, since your definition doesn't mention that it's only effective against spells with Spell Resistance: Yes. In a similar vein, your definition of Damage Reduction is wrong, in that creatures with the same Damage Reduction as you don't automatically bypass it. Creatures automatically bypass it if they have the alignment subtype of the kind that bypasses your DR, in this case the [Chaotic] subtype. I looked it up in the PFSRD just in case that was one of their weird rule changes, and that rule comes from nowhere. So unless you actually mean to be giving them some kind of weird stealth-nerfed (and very well buried) Damage Reduction that follows it's own rules, you should probably take another look at it.
It shouldn't be a feat just to use your extra cool monk weapons well. That's just a feat tax for wanting to be kick-ass.

Still, good to see the monk getting some love. It has serious issues, but unfortunately this version seems to exacerbate the problems, not alleviate them. Keep up the good work!

1. Monks have been lawful since 1st edition. I wanted to keep that; although I know that many people disagree.

2. Huh? I don't get what you are saying with this at all.

3. The abilities of this monk require either the expenditure of ki points or the monk retaining at least 1 ki point in his pool. The pool is FAR larger than the Pathfinder monk (level + Wisdom vs. half-level + Wisdom). It makes the monk consider his resources. Finite resources are not a bad thing.

4. I wrote spell resistance wrong? It is the exact same text from the monk class in the Pathfinder Core Rulesbooks, with a single exception. I changed it from 10+level to 11+level. On Damage Reduction, it is mention in ki pool and perfect self. Perfect self is an alignment based damage reduction; and in ki pool I say that the monk can bypass the different types of DR.

5. Should designers be adding new and cool monk weapons (any weapons) to each and every new rulebook? Should any class be getting access to these weapons never before seen automatically? I hate ever expanding weapon lists.

Master Arminas

Master Arminas
2012-03-16, 10:19 AM
Okay. How about this change to ki pool and ki strike, which uses the '+x bypasses y DR' of Pathfinder's current rules, but hearkens back to the 1st edition monk when his unarmed strikes were treated as +1, +2, and +3 magic weapons.

Ki Pool (Su): At 4th level, a monk gains a pool of ki points, supernatural energy he can use to accomplish amazing feats. The number of points in a monk's ki pool is equal to his monk level + his Wisdom modifier. As long as he has at least 1 point in his ki pool, he can make a ki strike.
At 4th level, ki strike allows the monk to treat his unarmed attacks as if the unarmed strike is a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction, sundering an opponents weapons, or affecting incorporeal creatures. At 4th level, the monk's unarmed strike is considered equivilant to a +1 magic weapon. [i]Ki strike improves with the character's monk level. At 7th level, monk's unarmed strike is considered equivilant to a +2 lawful weapon. At 10th level, the monk's unarmed strike is considered equivilant to a +3 lawful weapon. As a +3 weapon, the monk's unarmed strikes at this level can bypass cold iron and silver damage reductions. At 13th level, the monk's unarmed strike is considered equivilant to a +4 lawful adamantine weapon. A monk of this level not only ignores adamantine based damage reduction but ignores hardness as if he were using an adamantine weapon. At 16th level, the monk's unarmed strike is considered equivilant to a +5 lawful adamantine weapon. As a +5 weapon, the monk's unarmed strikes at this level can bypass all alignment based damage reduction.
In addition to ki strike, a monk can spend points from his ki pool to achieve special short-term effects. By spending 1 point from his ki pool as a swift action, a monk can invoke any one of the following options: he can gain a +4 dodge bonus to AC for 1 round; he can gain a +4 insight bonus to his attacks for 1 round; he can gain a +4 insight bonus to his damage for 1 round; or he can gain one additional attack at his highest attack bonus when he uses his flurry of blows ability (see above).
A monk who moves or charges (including the use of the feat Spring Attack) and then makes a single attack with his unarmed strikes or a special monk weapon can spend 1 point from his ki pool as a swift action to gain one additional attack at his highest attack bonus.
A monk gains additional powers that consume points from his ki pool as he gains levels. The ki pool is replenished each morning after 8 hours of rest or meditation; these hours do not need to be consecutive.

Master Arminas
2012-03-16, 10:48 AM
Patience, Grasshopper, Patience!

If anything, there are a few things I still consider troubling. For starters, there's still the slight problem of being a "skirmisher" class but Flurry still requires a full attack action. This has always been a problem for Monks, and aside from the expenditure of ki to gain an extra attack after movement, there is no synergy between what's expected to be the best method of combat for the Monk (particularly since you've specified Flurry and TWF can work in unison).

I wanted to take a conservative approach to changes. I've enjoyed playing monks since 1st Edition AD&D and feel that EVERY edition has SOMETHING to offer the class. True, and that disconnect will remain as long as we have the difference between full-attack and standard action attacks. Way back in the day, the monk received more attacks than the fighter (this was before TWF) and movement didn't affect the number of attacks. Without totally rewriting the system, I can't really change that, but by allowing the monk to spend a point of ki when he moves, charges, or spring attacks to gain a second attack (at his highest attack bonus), I think this is a good addition that opens up some wiggle room.

I did keep medium BAB on purpose, knowing that many people would hate it. Why? Because the monk has always been below the full-BAB fighter type classes, even back in 1st edition (it had either the cleric or rogue THAC0 progression, I can't remember exactly any more). However, even though it has medium BAB, the weapons training feature means that effectively a monk is just equal to the barbarian, paladin, ranger, cavalier, anti-paladin, and samurai. Fighter is 1 point ahead on attack bonus because of greater weapon focus.

Now of course, once everyone's specials are figured in, the numbers change, and a gap opens back up: which is as it should be. Barbarian uses rage to gain additional bonuses on attacks, rangers get favored enemies, paladins and anti-paladins get smite, cavaliers and samurai get challenges, and fighters get their own weapons training. Yes, the more martial classes that aren't MAD will have higher strength scores, but that is just part and parcel of the game.

Another thing is the Monastic Skill Training ability. By definition, you may want to get Diplomacy and perhaps Intimidate, but you won't have enough Charisma to make them useful. However, they are necessary so that you can take advantage of the ability to speak with animals and other things, so unless you make good use of those skills. Then you get Tongues, and by all means you effectively make Linguistics half-worthless (you do keep the ability to decipher scripts, because of how Pathfinder skills work).

Well, it is a low-power way to let monk's customize their class a bit more. Perhaps neither I nor my gamers (I mostly DM these days) aren't optimizers, but frankly I've never run a game in which a monk had Int or Cha below 10. Skills are just too important to the class for my players to dump those stats. And don't forget, Linguistics also includes the old forgery skill!

The rest of the class really doesn't shine: you get most of the classic 3.5/PF Monk chassis almost intact, with a few clarifications, but you also keep some of its troubling aspects. Sure, 5d4 at around 20th level may seem quite surprising, alongside six attacks (four of which have your highest attack bonus), but you lack reach weapons or mobility options to make them worthwhile. Gloves of Perfect Striking should allow for weapon enhancements, because your fists won't do that much against incorporeal creatures (50% miss chance HURTS), nor you'll be able to take advantage of other enhancements to add to damage, such as Holy or Speed. While you might have a pretty high hit rate (because of how many things stack), all you'll mostly do is raise the numbers, which isn't usually a good idea. The rest of the weapons sacrifice your higher damage with fists for the ability to be enchanted, which is never really a replacement.

I think I have fixed the DR/incoporeal problem with a new version of ki pool and ki strike. Let me know what you think about it. Yes, it is hard to get special weapon properties on a monk's unarmed strikes, but not impossible. You can go ahead an get an amulet of mighty fists that has, for example axiomatic and speed. That would be a +5 AoMF costing 125,000 gp and it would stack with the gloves (since the amulet doesn't provide an enhancement bonus). So if the gloves are at a +5 (50,000 gp), you are spending 175,000 gp to get a +5 axiomatic lawful [i]adamantine unarmed strike of speed. Yes, it is still expensive as all get out, but it is actually possible now.

That said, it's good to see another 'brew that at least considers special Monk weapons beyond the scope of [I]Ki Strike and Flurry. The class should be pretty good with combat maneuvers (for as long as they work, until FoM starts to negate most of them and other spells do the same). I'd recommend making Diamond Body grant a degree of damage reduction, because even though the DR you get at 20th level is better than the original (chaotic instead of magic), it's still TOO late. Purity of Body can have the immunity to poisons and diseases, if only because they stop being a nuisance right around that level, or around level 7 actually (Neutralize Poison and Remove Disease).

That is a very good idea, and I'll give it some thought on how to incorporate it (DR/chaotic for Diamond Body, scaling up to Perfect Self at 20). Combat maneuvers, this monk should be either equal or better than any other class, except for a specialized combat maneuver fighter. And that is how I wanted it.

In any case, you should consider adding a bit more. The Monk still has many problems with how it's built, considering it still lacks a proper way to fight flying opponents (shuriken don't reach that far and crossbows don't get those nifty damage bonuses or extra attacks), invisible or concealed opponents, opponents with different methods of damage reduction, amongst others. Furthermore, it still fails somewhat at being the skirmisher, since you're limited to Spring-Attacking for one (or two) attacks, or standing still for 6+ attacks. The rest of the abilities aren't much of a change compared to the Pathfinder version (which barely changed much from the 3.5 version itself), so the end result really doesn't lift the Monk from where it is. You should revise it a bit, check on the Monkday threads (aka all Monk threads in the main Gaming forum, which usually start on Mondays hence the term) and figure out what's the problem with Monks to refine your concept. Though, I'd hate to lose the love for monk weapons.

I know, we hate to see a class rely on magic items, but in 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder, they DO. Winged Boots should be on the top of every monk's wishlist, for just this reason. And for what they provide, they are not that expensive. I didn't want to 'revolutionize' the monk, but to make it what it should have been in late 3.5 and Pathfinder. I realize that many people utterly dislike the speak with animals/unfettered speech/tongues chain, but it pays homage to the old monks of Gary Gygax and the ones from the Dragon article He's Got a Lot to Kick About.

You see, I picture the monk as a martial-mystic; not quite as good at fighting at pure martial classes (but better than anyone else!) with mystical abilities that rely on a monks sense of inner balance and harmony. I don't believe that a monk has to be a pure killing machine like a fighter or barbarian, just that he has to be able to remain competitive with them.

Thanks for your review and suggestions, T.G. Oskar.

Master Arminas

Master Arminas
2012-03-16, 11:06 AM
Should I allow a monk to flurry with the javelin as well, so that he does have a longer-ranged attack option? That would provide a bit more distance and serve to make the javelin a bit more useful?

Master Arminas

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-16, 11:59 AM
Should I allow a monk to flurry with the javelin as well, so that he does have a longer-ranged attack option? That would provide a bit more distance and serve to make the javelin a bit more useful?

Master Arminas

I don't see how you could possibly flurry with a javelin unless you have six javelins on hand, and the Quick Draw feat. In which case, it's still not a very good option, since then you would have to divide your WBL into 6 in order to make sure all 6 of your attacks were even worth it.

Now, you could always have a single +1 returning javelin, but that still delays effective flurrying with a javelin until around...8th level? Is returning +1 or +2? I can't remember. Anyway, it would help, but it's still a pretty subpar option. It would be better if you allowed the monk to flurry with a true ranged weapon like a bow.

T.G. Oskar
2012-03-16, 06:58 PM
I wanted to take a conservative approach to changes. I've enjoyed playing monks since 1st Edition AD&D and feel that EVERY edition has SOMETHING to offer the class. True, and that disconnect will remain as long as we have the difference between full-attack and standard action attacks. Way back in the day, the monk received more attacks than the fighter (this was before TWF) and movement didn't affect the number of attacks. Without totally rewriting the system, I can't really change that, but by allowing the monk to spend a point of ki when he moves, charges, or spring attacks to gain a second attack (at his highest attack bonus), I think this is a good addition that opens up some wiggle room.

Technically, methods to add extra attacks have been added. The problem is that most belong to 3.5, not Pathfinder.

The simplest, easiest way to allow all attacks after movement is Pounce. Barbarians have the ability to replace their fast movement for the ability to Pounce, and this is an insanely good exchange given that they get two or three extra attacks because of their insanely good Strength modifier. Other classes that aren't exactly full BAB also have Pounce, in their own way (Psychic Warriors have it through a power, Totemists have it through a soulmeld).

However, you don't have to go too far. The Spring Attack line had an extension in Player's Handbook II, which granted two and even three attacks against a single enemy, or split between three different enemies (or even two), which made Spring Attack less bad. The problem, of course, is that the requirements for these feats (namely, Bounding Assault and Rapid Blitz) were outright prohibitive, yet perfect for Monks. A monk will never reach 18 BAB, yet that's what you need for Rapid Blitz, alongside the loooong line of feats for it (Dodge or its equivalent, Mobility, Spring Attack, Bounding Assault; that's FOUR feats to do something). And then there's Snap Kick, which kicks in (pun intended) every time you're allowed a melee attack, including attacks of opportunity.

Now, these are options you could code into the class, without requiring an expenditure of resources. Moving and making two attacks may seem decent at first, but when the Barbarian gets Pounce as a Rage Power at 8th level and outdamages you, outmaneuvers you and out-tanks you, you'll feel a bit off that a Barbarian does a better skirmisher job than you. This is what I'm trying to alert, if only because it has been tried so many times, with differing results.

Being conservative is good...at first, but for the Monk, you need to be bold (again, pun intended). There is already a specific Monk fix that is pretty conservative and still blazes a firm trail towards being good (and I have no relation to it other than potential rivalry), and it handles multiple attacks after movement in a clever way.

Namely, consider how Flurry of Blows could apply after movement, instead of a full attack. That way, you have a hard-coded way to deal damage without having to stand still. Alternatively, instead of adding an extra attack through the expenditure of ki, allow a move action: that way, you make the expenditure of ki all the more useful, yet you'll have certain reasons why spare your ki. Since Flurry is a full attack, that means you can have movement and deliver several strong fist attacks, which makes your main schtick (skirmishing) all the more deadlier. This is important at least in 3.5, which is a bit less forgiving than Pathfinder (or perhaps just as unforgiving) to creatures that deal only a single attack per round.

I did keep medium BAB on purpose, knowing that many people would hate it. Why? Because the monk has always been below the full-BAB fighter type classes, even back in 1st edition (it had either the cleric or rogue THAC0 progression, I can't remember exactly any more). However, even though it has medium BAB, the weapons training feature means that effectively a monk is just equal to the barbarian, paladin, ranger, cavalier, anti-paladin, and samurai. Fighter is 1 point ahead on attack bonus because of greater weapon focus.

Hmm...Greater Weapon Focus...not exactly the best feat around, mind you, at least around these parts. Two feats for a +2 to attack rolls isn't exactly very hot, unless it's for free.

However, there is a reason why full BAB is essential to the monk. For starters, it delivers a better attack bonus: the better you hit, the more useful you are in combat since you land more hits. Likewise, you get more attacks (and earlier), which means enemies are slain faster. Finally, you get a better bonus on maneuvers, where every point counts. The latter is addressed through the Maneuver Training ability, but the last two are still considerable for a purely martial class, whose main schtick is actually punching and kicking (and properly using maneuvers to devastating degree).

Having full BAB is something I don't particularly mind if the class offers something else, or if the bonuses are good enough that full BAB is pointless. With the bonus using special monk weapons, Maneuver Training and Flurry, you tackle the three reasons why you want full BAB, so in this case it's not THAT important. However, consider that five points of attack bonus/CMB can be worthwhile, moreso in that you lack the use of armor and are slightly more dependent on magic items; it makes the Monk superior, but when you deal with the other things all classes have (the Barbarian's rage and rage powers, the Fighter's huge amount of feats for differing combat styles, the Paladin's Divine Challengesmite and the Ranger's favored enemy), the Monk brings to the table better maneuver use and specialization in unusual weaponry. And supernatural resistance, as well.

Yes, the more martial classes that aren't MAD will have higher strength scores, but that is just part and parcel of the game.

I would agree if Weapon Finesse added Dex to damage (or replaced Strength for it), and if there were options to use other scores for attack and damage rolls. However, when you're effectively forced into choosing between Strength for proper melee combat or Wisdom for the nice boons, it's quite probable that you'll sacrifice Wisdom, particularly if your rolls are bad or if you're using point-buy (and by all that's Good and Holy, PF point-buy is terrible!) It's an artificial limitation that not all monsters share, and you need all the bonuses you can get to ensure your endurance (not necessarily your survival, as teamwork and good use of resources is what ensures survival, but endurance in that you won't waste all your ki on a single battle to make ends meet because you're lacking on other parts).

Well, it is a low-power way to let monk's customize their class a bit more. Perhaps neither I nor my gamers (I mostly DM these days) aren't optimizers, but frankly I've never run a game in which a monk had Int or Cha below 10. Skills are just too important to the class for my players to dump those stats. And don't forget, Linguistics also includes the old forgery skill!

Note that you mention "a Monk for all editions", yet insist a lot in basing off Pathfinder's version. I come from 3.5 and I don't intend to change, so it's a good chance that I still have some prejudices from the edition. However, if you have an ability that makes you a better speaker, then you definitely NEED to support it, or else find a way to replace it for something of worth. Having the ability to speak with just about everything almost BEGS for proper etiquette, so Diplomacy is a must; likewise, a good way to debuff enemies is through Intimidate, and if they understand you, the better.

As for Linguistics, while it keeps Decipher Script AND Forgery, its main use is to learn new languages. Having Tongues makes that pointless. The remaining uses are mostly fluffy, so while Linguistics is not necessarily turned worthless, it loses a great deal of its worth if you can suddenly learn how to speak and understand all languages in a moment.

You can go ahead an get an amulet of mighty fists that has, for example axiomatic and speed. That would be a +5 AoMF costing 125,000 gp and it would stack with the gloves (since the amulet doesn't provide an enhancement bonus). So if the gloves are at a +5 (50,000 gp), you are spending 175,000 gp to get a +5 axiomatic lawful[i/] [i]adamantine unarmed strike of speed. Yes, it is still expensive as all get out, but it is actually possible now.

Recall that this only applies for Pathfinder, not regular 3.5.

I know, we hate to see a class rely on magic items, but in 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder, they DO. Winged Boots should be on the top of every monk's wishlist, for just this reason. And for what they provide, they are not that expensive. I didn't want to 'revolutionize' the monk, but to make it what it should have been in late 3.5 and Pathfinder. I realize that many people utterly dislike the speak with animals/unfettered speech/tongues chain, but it pays homage to the old monks of Gary Gygax and the ones from the Dragon article He's Got a Lot to Kick About.

You see, I picture the monk as a martial-mystic; not quite as good at fighting at pure martial classes (but better than anyone else!) with mystical abilities that rely on a monks sense of inner balance and harmony. I don't believe that a monk has to be a pure killing machine like a fighter or barbarian, just that he has to be able to remain competitive with them.

I'm one of the people that find it pointless, particularly if they cannot be an option instead of something forced upon. Certainly, while it adds a lot to the fluff, not all monks will seek to harmonize with everything as a method of perfection. However, it's a legacy ability at most...

Now, there are MANY interpretations of "martial/mystic". I attempted at first to keep true to the main class, switch a few things, improve others, and I still felt it was not to my liking, as it didn't felt as the perfect blend of martial arts and mysticism that I would have liked to. I made a second attempt, and then I found something I liked, but I realized that I had to make a really BOLD step and do things in a more complex way.

I can understand you wish to keep it "simple", but the chassis doesn't help. Most attempts to keep it simple usually don't add the options the class should offer. For example: the ability to speak with just about everything should be an ability you could develop, but optionally rather than forcefully. Likewise, I might prefer to be a skirmisher, but perhaps my idea is to make a master grappler whose grasp cannot be evaded unless one out-skills the other. Yet another interpretation would be ninja-esque, being the perfect scout and a deadly combatant up-close and personal. Further down the line, you can have the self-sacrificing martial pacifist who withstands a lot of pain but never kneels, slowly but surely taking their enemy down but not allowing others be harmed. All could be viable interpretations, but the core Monk in both editions doesn't help on that, instead attempting to add just a pinch of all, instead of allowing a certain degree of "maturation". To do so, you'll need to look beyond and do bold steps.

Functionally, there is little difference between the core Monk from Pathfinder and this re-interpretation, if only because the few differences are mostly semantic. Most of my suggestions focus on what I've experienced in the forums and through 3.5, which is quite different, even though I've drawn a bit of stuff from PF; however, the aim is certainly different. I had to watch it a few times to realize that you've done almost no changes, which in my opinion is not the best way to handle a re-interpretation of the Monk, so my suggestions aim towards that. Perhaps it's not what you intend, but at least consider some of these suggestions, because you might see other people insist on them (such as full BAB, apply Wis to attack and damage, move and attack with a flurry, amongst others) as it's the forum's unofficial consensus. It's...fine if you wish to keep the Monk somewhat equal to other classes, but you'd have to indicate that pretty clearly (it's hard to notice, IMO) so that these suggestions don't keep flowing, if only because the tendency for Monk fixes is to boost the power of the Monk independent of all the other martial classes with the idea that ALL martial classes need a boost. You may eventually see the mention of "tiers" and whatnot, which isn't the end-all-be-all of 'brewing and playing but it IS a worthy guideline when doing both.

As for magic items: while it's an unfortunate requirement, the fact that the Monk relies on MORE magic items than other classes (even if they lack the use of magic armor) while appearing as a class that depends less on them is a bad idea. I don't ask for outright flying; Air Walk suffices, and it's not uncommon in wuxia, which evokes the monk feel (and the legendary master warrior feel as well). I wouldn't mind if the system for magic item creation wasn't so focused on spellcasting (and yes, I know about the feat that allows non-casters to get magic items, but that should have been part of the system from the very beginning, whereas spellcasters should be the last people to create magic items, and even then mostly scrolls, wands, rods and staves), but that subtly hints at how spellcasters are a MUST in play, since the chances of getting those Winged Boots, those Amulets of Mighty Fists, those Bracers of Armor, those Rings of Protection and others really bites (particularly since then you can't get Boots of Speed or Amulets of Natural Armor or Periapts of Wisdom, meaning the Monk competes for essential magic item slots whereas other classes might not).

Master Arminas
2012-03-16, 08:05 PM
Okay then, T.G. Oskar, does this work better? I added a few things that were in the original design, but that I pulled out because I was afraid they were over the top. Ki strike actually adds an enhancement bonus to unarmed strike now, ala the magus arcane strike. Unlike the magus, these bonuses remain as long as the monk as a single point in his ki pool. I have also added lighter than a feather (either levitate or water walk) and cloud step (air walk). I also took your advice with purity of body and diamond body

Master Arminas’s Monk Class, Second Try

For the truly exemplary, martial skill transcends the battlefield: it is a lifestyle, a doctrine, a state of mind. These warrior-artists search out methods of battle beyond swords and shields, finding within themselves weapons that are just as capable of crippling or killing as any blade. These monks (so called since they adhere to strict martial disciplines and ancient philosophies passed down through the generations since the mythical War between Law and Chaos) elevate their bodies to become weapons of war. Monks tread the path of discipline and self-enlightenment, and those with the will to endure that path discover within themselves not what they are, but what they are meant to be.

Role: This version of the monk class is, first and foremost, a skirmisher, a scout, a light fighter who relies on his innate abilities and ki to achieve literally inhuman results. He eschews clumsy armor and random weapons to instead achieve greatness through his own inner will and strength. His endurance and ability to sustain hardship is legendary, rivaled only by the toughest of barbarians and most skilled of rangers. His combat ability with attacks, damage, and maneuvers comes close to equaling more marital classes, yet he is more than merely a fighter. Wise beyond his years, the monk’s senses are keenly honed and he possesses an extensive array of techniques that permit him to accomplish acts that normally can be done only by a practitioner of magic. The varied selection of skills and talents that the monk has at his disposal make a valued member of any adventuring party.

Alignment: Any lawful.

Hit Die: d8.

BAB: Medium

Good Saves: Fort; Reflex; and Will

Class Skills: Acrobatics (Dex); Climb (Str); Craft (Int); Escape Artist (Dex); Perception (Wis); Perform (Cha); Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex); Sense Motive (Wis); Stealth (Dex); and Swim (Str). See monastic skill training (below) for additional class skills.

Skill Ranks per Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Weapons and Armor Proficiency: Monks are proficient with the club, crossbow (light or heavy), dagger, handaxe, javelin, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shortspear, short sword, shuriken, siangham, sling, and spear. Monks are not proficient with any armor or shields. When wearing armor, using a shield, or carrying a medium or heavy load, a monk loses his AC bonus from intuitive defense, as well as his fast movement and flurry of blows abilities (see below).

Inuitive Defense (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds his Wisdom bonus (if any) to his AC and his CMD. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC and CMD at 4th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every four monk levels thereafter, up to a maximum of +5 at 20th level.

Bonus Feat: At 1st level, 2nd level, and every 4 levels gained as a monk thereafter, a monk may select a bonus feat. These feats must be taken from the following list: Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Dodge, Improved Grapple, Improved Sunder, and Weapon Focus.
At 6th level, the following feats are added to the list: Improved Blind-Fight, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Ki Stand, Mobility, and The Waves and The Wind (see new feats below).
At 10th level, the following feats are added to the list: Combat Expertise, Greater Blind-Fight, Improved Critical, Medusa’s Wrath, Snatch Arrows, and Spring Attack.
At 14th level, the following feats are added to the list: Greater Bull Rush, Greater Disarm, Greater Grapple, Greater Sunder, and Greater Trip.
A monk need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them.

Fast Movement (Ex/Su): A monk’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit only applies when he is wearing no armor and is not carrying a medium or heavy load. This ability is extraordinary.
At 4th level, when a monk gains access to his ki pool (see below), the character can achieve literally superhuman bursts of speed for limited periods of time. As a free action, a monk can spend 1 point of ki to increase his speed by +20 feet. This speed increase lasts for 1 round per monk class level. At 8th level, and again every four levels gained thereafter, the monk's speed when using this ability increases by an additional +10 feet, to a maximum increase of +60 feet at 20th level.
The bonus speed granted to a monk through the use of this ability is a supernatural ability.

Monastic Skill Training: Different monasteries emphasize different skill sets for the monks that they train. At first level, a monk may choose any three of the following skills: Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Any) (Int), or Linguistics (Int). These skills become class skills for the monk. Once chosen, these selections are forever after fixed, even if the monk places no skill ranks in the specific skills selected.

Unarmed Strike (Ex): A monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A monk’s unarmed attack may be made with his fists, elbows, knees, feet, or even his head. This means that a monk may make unarmed strikes with his hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed. A monk may thus apply his full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all his unarmed strikes.
Usually a monk’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but he can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on his attack roll. He has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.
A monk deals more damage with his unarmed strikes than normal; from 1st-3rd level the damage is 1d6. This increases to 2d4 at 4th level. At 9th level, and every 5 monk levels gained thereafter, the damage increases by an additional 1d4, to a maximum of 5d4 at 19th level. The unarmed damage is for all monks, regardless of size. The techniques a monk learns do not alter the base damage of the class due to being either smaller or larger, although both Strength bonuses and penalties apply as normal.

Stunning Fist (Ex): The monk gains Stunning Fist as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. At 4th level, and every 4 levels gained as a monk thereafter, the monk gains the ability to apply a new condition to the target of his Stunning Fist. This condition replaces stunning the target for 1 round, and a successful saving throw still negates the effect.
At 4th level, he can choose to make the target fatigued. At 8th level, he can make the target sickened for 1 minute. At 12th level, he can make the target staggered for 1d6+1 rounds. At 16th level, he can permanently blind or deafen the target. At 20th level, he can paralyze the target for 1d6+1 rounds. The monk must choose which condition will apply before the attack roll is made. These effects do not stack with themselves (a creature sickened by Stunning Fist cannot become nauseated if hit by Stunning Fist again), but additional hits do increase the duration.
A monk can select which condition to apply each time he makes a stunning fist attack, limited only by his monk level.
A monk gains one use of this feat for every monk level he possesses, as described in the Stunning Fist feat.

Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level or higher, a monk can avoid damage from many area-effect attacks. If a monk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a monk is wearing no armor and is not carrying a medium or heavy load. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Flurry of Blows (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a monk can make a flurry of blows as a full-attack action. When doing so he may make one additional attack using any combination of the following weapons: club, dagger, handaxe, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shortspear, short sword, shuriken, siangham, spear, or unarmed strike. New weapons designated with the monk special property may be added to this list at a later date. This additional attack is made at the monk's highest attack bonus.
At 8th level, a monk gains a second bonus attack at his highest attack bonus when he uses flurry of blows.
At 15th level, a monk gains a third bonus attack at his highest attack bonus when he uses flurry of blows.
A monk applies his full Strength bonus to his damage rolls for all successful attacks made with a flurry of blows, whether the monk is fighting with two weapons, a weapon and an unarmed strike, a double weapon, a thrown weapon, or a two-handed weapon.
A monk may substitute disarm, sunder, and trip combat maneuvers for unarmed attacks as part of a flurry of blows.
A monk cannot use any weapon other than an unarmed strike or a special monk weapon as part of a flurry of blows.
A monk cannot use two-weapon fighting (see combat) to gain additional attacks when using flurry of blows.
A monk with natural weapons cannot use such weapons as part of a flurry of blows, nor can he make natural attacks in addition to his flurry of blows attacks.
A monk does not suffer any penalties when using flurry of blows (such as those normally associated with two-weapon fighting), regardless of whether he wields a light weapon, a one-hand weapon, a double-weapon, or a two-hand weapon.
A monk may wield two-weapons, a double-weapon, or a two-handed weapon when using flurry of blows (provided that the weapon is a special monk weapon) and may use unarmed strikes and weapons wielded in any combination during his flurry of blows attacks.

Maneuver Training (Ex): At 3rd level, a monk uses his monk level in place of his base attack bonus when calculating his Combat Maneuver Bonus and his Combat Maneuver Defense. Base attack bonuses granted from other classes are unaffected and are added normally.

Still Mind (Ex): A monk of 3rd level or higher gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells and effects. This bonus increases in value to +4 at 10th level and to +6 at 17th level.

Ki Pool (Su): At 4th level, a monk begins to slowly access his internal ki, a supernatural energy that he can use to accomplish amazing feats. The monk gains a pool of ki points, equal to his monk level + his Wisdom modifier. By spending 1 point from his ki pool as a swift action, a monk can invoke any one of the following options: he can gain a +4 dodge bonus to AC for 1 round; he can gain a +4 insight bonus to his attacks for 1 round; he can gain a +4 insight bonus to his damage for 1 round; or he can gain one additional attack at his highest attack bonus when he uses his flurry of blows ability (see above).
A monk who moves or charges (including the feat Spring Attack) and then makes a single attack with his unarmed strikes or a special monk weapon can spend 1 point from his ki pool as a swift action to gain one additional attack at his highest attack bonus.

Ki Strike (Su): At 4th level, a monk can focus his ki into his unarmed strikes, making them the equivalent of enchanted weapons. When first gained, the monk gains a +1 enhancement bonus to hit and damage. At 8th level, and every 4 levels gained thereafter as a monk, this bonus increases by +1, to a maximum of +5 at 20th level. A monk’s unarmed strikes are considered magic weapons for the purpose of attacking incorporeal creatures and for overcoming damage reduction. A monk gains the benefits of ki strike so long as he has at least one point of ki remaining in his ki pool.
At 12th level, a monk’s unarmed strikes count as alchemical silver and cold iron weapons for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.
At 16th level, a monk’s unarmed strikes count as adamantine for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.
At 20th level, a monk’s unarmed strikes bypass any alignment based damage reduction.

Catfall (Su): At 4th level or higher, a monk can fall incredible distances without suffering damage. When falling, a monk always lands on his feet. In addition, he reduces the damage inflicted from a fall by 1d6 per monk level he possesses, to a maximum reduction of 20d6 at 20th level. Unlike magical spells (such as feather fall) with similar effects, a monk is not slowed during his descent, making this ability a favored method for higher level monks to rapidly descend great distances quickly. A monk gains the benefits of this ability so long as he has at least one point of ki remaining in his ki pool.

Agility Training (Ex): At 5th level, a monk adds one-half his level (round down) to all Acrobatics skill checks and to the monk’s choice of either Climb or Swim skill checks. In addition, he always counts as having a running start when making jump checks using Acrobatics. By spending 1 point from his ki pool as a swift action, a monk can gain an additional +20 bonus on Acrobatics checks made to jump for 1 round.

Monastic Weapons Training (Ex): Starting at 5th level, a monk gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls when using any of the following weapons: club, dagger, handaxe, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shortspear, short sword, shuriken, siangham, spear, and unarmed strike. This bonus increases to +2 at 9th level, and by an additional +1 every four levels gained thereafter as a monk to a maximum bonus of +4 at 17th level.
A monk may add this bonus to any combat maneuver checks made with the listed weapons.
This bonus applies to the monk's Combat Maneuver Defense when defending against disarm and sunder attempts made against the character, if he is wielding one of the listed weapons.
This bonus is not an enhancement bonus and is not magical in nature; it instead reflects the training and honing of a monk's martial abilities.

Purity of Body (Ex): At 5th level, a monk gains immunity to all diseases, including supernatural and magical diseases (such as lycanthropy and mummy rot) and immunity to poisons of all kinds.

Light as a Feather (Su): At 5th level, a monk may spend 1 point of ki to either use levitate or water walk, as per the spells, for a duration of 1 round per class level. When the monk uses light as a feather he may neither run nor may he charge; the monk may only use this ability if he is lightly encumbered.

Servant of Order (Su): At 6th level, a monk gains immunity to fear effects.

Speak with Animals (Ex): At 6th level, a monk can converse with any creature of the animal type, as per the spell speak with animals. Such conversations are limited by the animal’s intelligence (or lack thereof).

Wholeness of Body (Su): At 7th level or higher, a monk can heal his own wounds as a standard action. He can expend 1 point from his ki pool to heal a number of hit points of damage equal to 2d8 + his monk level + his Wisdom bonus (if any). A monk can instead spend 2 points from his ki pool to use this ability as a move action. If the monk spends 3 points from his ki pool, he may use this ability as a swift action.

Spiritual Endurance (Ex): At 8th level, a monk's training and inner reserves of ki allow him to comfortably exist in environments and conditions that would quickly sap the strength from others. He is considered to be under the influence of an endure elements spell at all times, ignoring the extremes of heat and cold. In addition, he may go for a number of days equal to one-half his monk level without eating or drinking before beginning to suffer adverse effects. He requires only four hours of sleep per night, provided that he also meditates for at least four hours as well. While meditating, a monk remains fully aware of his surroundings and may make Perception checks without penalty.

Improved Evasion (Ex): At 9th level, a monk’s evasion ability improves. He still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Duty Never Tires (Ex): At 10th level, a monk gains Endurance as a bonus feat. Furthermore, by spending 1 ki point as a swift action, he can ignore the effects of fatigue for 10 minutes per monk level. This ability only suppresses the fatigue; it does not remove it.

Touch of Law (Su): At 10th level, a monk’s unarmed strikes are treated as lawful weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. A monk gains the benefits of this ability so long as he has at least one point of ki remaining in his ki pool.

Diamond Body (Ex): At 11th level a monk gains Damage Reduction 2/Chaotic. This allows him to ignore the first 2 points of damage from an attack made by a nonchaotic weapon or creature. The damage reduction improves by 2 points at every odd level gained as a monk thereafter, to a maximum damage reduction of DR 10/chaotic at 19th level.

Abundant Step (Su): At 12th level or higher, a monk can slip magically between spaces, as if using the spell dimension door. Using this ability is a move action that consumes 2 points from his ki pool. His caster level for this effect is equal to his monk level. Unlike the normal use of dimension door, the monk may take any remaining actions in a round after using this ability. He may take up to one willing creature with him when he uses this ability.

Unfettered Speech (Ex): At 12th level, a monk can converse with any creature of the plant type, as per the spell speak with plants. Such conversations are limited by the plant’s intelligence (or lack thereof). A monk can also converse with any creature of the magical beast type that has an Intelligence score of 1 or 2 (for the purpose of this ability, treat magical beasts as though they are animals and refer to the spell speak with animals).

Diamond Soul (Ex): At 13th level, a monk gains spell resistance equal to his current monk level +11. In order to affect the monk with a spell, a spellcaster must get a result on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) that equals or exceeds the monk’s spell resistance. A monk gains the benefits of this ability so long as he has at least one point of ki remaining in his ki pool.

Cloud Step (Su): At 13th level, a monk may spend 2 points from his ki pool to air walk, as per the spell, for a duration of 1 round per 2 class levels (round down). When the monk uses cloud step he may neither run nor may he charge; the monk may only use this ability if he is lightly encumbered.

Champion of Order (Su): At 14th level, a monk gains immunity to the spells confusion and insanity, as well as spell-like or supernatural effects that create similar effects.

Quivering Palm (Su): Starting at 15th level, a monk can set up vibrations within the body of another creature that can thereafter be fatal if the monk so desires. He can use this quivering palm attack once per day, and he must announce his intent before making his attack roll. Creatures immune to critical hits cannot be affected. Otherwise, if the monk strikes successfully and the target takes damage from the blow, the quivering palm attack succeeds. Thereafter, the monk can try to slay the victim at any later time, as long as the attempt is made within a number of days equal to his monk level. To make such an attempt, the monk merely wills the target to die (a free action), and unless the target makes a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + ½ the monk’s level + the monk’s Wisdom modifier) it dies. If the saving throw is successful, the target instead takes twice the damage of the monk's unarmed strike (as if the monk had threatened and then confirmed a critical hit) and the quivering palm attack ends; the target may still die if he suffers enough damage from this attack to reduce him to negative hit points equal to his Constitution score. A monk can have no more than one quivering palm in effect at one time. If a monk uses quivering palm while another is still in effect, the previous effect is negated. This ability is a death effect.
At 17th level, and again at 19th level, the monk gains one additional daily use of this ability.

Adamantine Touch (Su): At 16th level, a monk’s unarmed strikes are treated as adamantine weapons for bypassing hardness. A monk gains the benefits of this ability so long as he has at least one point of ki remaining in his ki pool.

Timeless Body (Ex): At 17th level, a monk no longer takes penalties to his ability scores to his physical ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that he has already taken, however, remain in place. The initial roll made by the DM for the character’s maximum age (according to race) is discarded, and a new maximum age calculated. The random dice are maximized. For example, a human monk who reaches 17th level will live to a ripe old age of 110 years, while an elf monk could see 750 years. Age bonuses to the monk’s mental ability scores still accrue, and the monk still dies of old age when his time is up. This ability is not the same as immortality, and the monk can always die before his time due to violence.

Tongues (Ex): At 17th level, a monk can converse with any creature, as per the spell tongues. To communicate, a creature must be within 30 feet of the monk and both the monk and creature must have line-of-sight to each other. Furthermore, the monk is able to commune with stone (as per the druid spell stone tell), however to commune with stone the monk must be touching the stone object.

Stalwart Soul (Ex): At 18th level, a monk no longer suffers any penalties for being fatigued (he still remains fatigued, however, for purposes of exhaustion). If the monk becomes exhausted, he may spend 2 ki points as a swift action to ignore the effects of exhaustion for 1 minute per monk level. This ability only suppresses the exhaustion; it does not remove it. A monk gains the benefits of this ability so long as he has at least one point of ki remaining in his ki pool.

Empty Body (Su): At 19th level, a monk gains the ability to assume an ethereal state for 1 minute as though using the spell etherealness. Using this ability is a move action that consumes 3 points from his ki pool. This ability only affects the monk and cannot be used to make other creatures ethereal.

Perfect Self: At 20th level, a monk transcends his mortal limitations. He gains blindsight in a 30-foot radius. He gains immunity versus all hostile mind-affecting spells, spell-like abilities, and other effects (this replaces and does not stack with the still mind ability), as well as being the recipient of constant nondetection and undetectable alignment effects (as per the spells). Furthermore, a monk who has attained this level of experience can go for twenty days without food or drink before suffering from ill effects. This replaces the duration listed under the duty never tires ability (see above).
The few monks who reach this level of achievement often retire from adventuring to explore what they are becoming. Only those with the strongest of ties to their companions and their homelands remain, but even these will eventually simply vanish one night, never to return.

Ex-Monks: A monk who becomes nonlawful cannot gain new levels as a monk but retains all monk abilities.

The Underlord
2012-03-16, 08:28 PM
You might want to change the title to "A monk influenced by all editions except 4e [3.5]" Since a) the title implied at least to me that it was usable in all editions b) in the part where it explains the title it does not appear to be influenced by the 4e monk

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-16, 10:07 PM
Servant of Order: I'm sorry, how does being lawful make you immune to fear? That...doesn't really make sense to me. If you want a "I'm so lawful and disciplined that this effect doesn't work on me" ability, try confusion. Confusion represents a character's inner chaos and madness, and a super-lawful character doesn't have any.

Master Arminas
2012-03-16, 11:01 PM
Servant of Order: I'm sorry, how does being lawful make you immune to fear? That...doesn't really make sense to me. If you want a "I'm so lawful and disciplined that this effect doesn't work on me" ability, try confusion. Confusion represents a character's inner chaos and madness, and a super-lawful character doesn't have any.

"Fear is the path to Chaos. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. All of these are things of Chaos."

To paraphrase a strange Tiny green Master of Monastic Orders in the mythic past. :smallcool:

Master Arminas

viking vince
2012-03-17, 09:55 AM
I'm glad you like the monk, but as a player who has only played 1e for the last 30 years, I have no idea what any of these stats mean or how it could be worked into 1e.

I do agree that the BoD monk for 1e is better than the PHB version, however.