PDA

View Full Version : Political Intrigue IC

Pages : [1] 2

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-15, 10:33 AM
My friend,

Come quickly and with secrecy to the undercity tavern of three roses. Come alone, and trust no one save the barkeep who I have paid for his silence and discretion, and those who you find within the back room he will lead you to. Should those found within prove to be treacherous, the risk wagered against the possible gain will be worth it I swear upon my house. I shall meet you there, and you shall know your compatriots by their deeds.

L.M.

You've arrived in the undercity of Vern, and can see the Three Roses tavern across the street from you. Is there anything you want to do before you venture in?

shugyosha
2012-03-15, 11:05 AM
Eywels staggers to the Three Roses, lightly holding a bottle of booze in his hand. He slumps into a heap across the way in a dark nook of another building. He tilts his head as if a sleep but listens to who ever might be coming to the tavern. If he hears anything he will cautiously open his eyes checking who might have followed him or might be concerned with this business.

Eywels is not hiding per say. Just blending in to the scenery. No one is going to pay attention to a sleeping vagrant. Is this a disguise or a bluff check?

Anyway, Does he know who L. M. is?

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-15, 01:01 PM
Selena Trimaine

"The risk wagered against the possible gain will be worth it I swear..." The words ran round and round in Selena's head as she made her way to the tavern. Whoever this L.M was he did enjoy stating the obvious. "Trust no one", well she never did, but it was more interesting that he candidly stated that those she might meet could be dangerous, something she hadn't expected a secret note to say.

As she approached the Three Roses she turned carefully sideways into an alleyway and muttered a few incantations to herself, weaving magic to prepare her for this clandestine meeting. First she wove shadows and mists to conceal her features and her clothes, so it seemed as though she were wreathed in a small and clinging darkness. Next she focussed on a spell to reveal any hidden observers. As an afterthought she prepared a little surprise should anyone try anything.

Spells-Disguise self (lvl1- lasts for an hour)-making her seem shadowy and hard to make out.
-See invisibility (duration 1 hour)
-Hold Person 3rd level (with Retributive spell and metamagic school focus so it stays third level-can activate as an immediate action when hit by a melee attack)

Once these were done she stepped back out on to the street and strode toward the tavern, wondering who this mysterious L.M. was and who she might have been called to meet.

shugyosha
2012-03-15, 02:32 PM
Eywels

Eywels watched as the shadowy figure approached the tavern. Ominous, he thought to himself. Who ever it was didn't want to be recognized, which meant they were expecting trouble or more likely looking for trouble.

Keeping in his slumped position he continued to watch.

Galt_Devil
2012-03-15, 05:58 PM
William directed his squire into a nearby alley to observe the area, and murmured a few soft parting instructions to him, before entering the tavern, taking note of, but silently ignoring those around him. A deep grey cloak was wrapped around his mithral armor, to decrease to apparentness of his identity. He briefly cleared both blades in their sheaths, before moving into the tavern and following the instructions from the letter.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-15, 06:44 PM
The customers of the tavern turn to look at the man in mithral and grey, but a quick "Oi!" from the barkeep causes them to all snap attention back to their ales and ignore the goings on.

The shadowy figure slips in with considerably less fuss.

For the pretending to be a sleeping drunk thing, the disguise changes how you look, the bluff covers actions.

Both William and Selena are approached by the barkeep, a tall man with broad shoulders and a thick neck. His whitening hair is kept tied back, and he sports a handlebar mustache.

"You wouldn't be friends of Lucius Mason would you?"

Galt_Devil
2012-03-15, 07:59 PM
Drawing his cloak tighter about his lithe form, William casts his lilac gaze at the bartender, eyes sharp and piercing. He mutters, purposely making his voice as raspy as possible, though not succeeding well with his melodic tone.
I know of 'im."

shugyosha
2012-03-15, 09:37 PM
The second one was royalty, his stance and posture reeked of it. Eywels was sure of it when he reached under his cloak, obviously adjusting his weapons. This L.M. is attracting all kinds he thought.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-16, 12:01 AM
Drawing his cloak tighter about his lithe form, William casts his lilac gaze at the bartender, eyes sharp and piercing. He mutters, purposely making his voice as raspy as possible, though not succeeding well with his melodic tone.
I know of 'im."

"Well then, come on through."

In the backroom, you are let in and see three people have already arrived. The first is a dark elf, who refuses to sit, instead standing in the corner, his hands on a long dagger and gilded sabre beneath his cloak. The second is a armoured human woman, platemail shined to an exacting standard and hair tied in a french braid, sipping a cup of tea (a difficult task with gauntlets that she makes seem effortless). The third is dwarf who seems to be eating some odd things. His beard and hair are hanging loosely, and he seems to have peeled several of the fruits in the basket on the table and is eating their skins, as well as knawing on a bone from his belt pouch.

The woman stands when you enter, placing her cup down first.

"Hello, I am Lady Victoria, but you may refer to me as Victoria here, as we appear to be in an 'off the books' situation. May I have the priviledge of knowing your name and title?"

She dips one knee a few inches and then rises again, and locks eyes with you. Beneath her stare you see a calculating mind, gauging every movement you make.

The dark elf remains silent, while the dwarf proceeds to sniff and pick at a sore on his arm, producing a small amount of brownish paste and rubbing it into the open sore.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-16, 04:00 AM
Selena Trimaine

Well whoever this Lucius Mason was, none of these seemed likely candidates, but she would wait and see.

"You may call me Assana." She said, trying to let some of natural relaxedness seep through her disguise and set them at ease. She took a seat opposite Lady Victoria and asked: "You seem to know a little, what is the purpose of our meeting today?"

shugyosha
2012-03-16, 09:20 AM
Eywels felt he seen enough. He got up, straightened himself up and headed to the Three Roses.

Admiral
2012-03-16, 11:56 AM
Darren Darkcloak strides towards the Three Roses, a hood concealing his face. He'd spent the last few minutes watching patrons enter the bar from a block away, but soon noticed he was not the only one doing so. Perhaps he should find that more alarming, and any other day he would probably play it safe and leave. But the shadows of the undercity are oddly comforting, as is the dagger he has concealed under his cloak. Besides, Darren has always had a weakness for mystery.

Darren enters the bar, and casts a quick gaze around to find the bartender and assess any potential threats.

Galt_Devil
2012-03-16, 02:01 PM
For a long moment, William remained silent, perhaps working out a way to avoid giving up his identity. His sharp eyes gleaming with power thirst, he shifted his hood back, letting his silver-gold ponytail fall across his shoulder. He spoke in a soft, melodious voice.
I am Ser William Sylvannis-Penning, owner of Penning plantation, and a Thane of house Sylvannis. I would ask that you tell me a bit of yourself now, M'Lady Victoria.
He shifted, leaning himself back against a wall as his cloak parted, revealing his shining armor, and the blade-hilts that his palms rubbed idly.

Dienekes
2012-03-16, 05:53 PM
Sir Edrick had almost not gone. Cryptic messages and curious instructions set him on edge. He thought on what he should do silently for nearly an hour. He had no talent for disguises and his hair made him stand out, so if he entered he would be known for anyone who cared. It could be a trap, yet it seemed far too much effort for an upstart like him.

Finally he decided that he needed to take the risk. Quickly he dressed himself in the poor merchant clothes of his youth, hoping that he would look like the poor Luag immigrant he was supposed to be. On the way over he did buy a knife. It wasn't much of a weapon, in all honesty but if he needed to he could fight in it.

Finally deeming himself ready he entered the tavern and bought himself a drink, waiting for LM.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-03-16, 07:28 PM
A haggard old woman, hunched under a ragged charcoal cloak, hisses and kicks at a stray cat alonge the cobbled street. Her furious eyebrows and widow's peak jut angrily from her weathered hood. She sniffs angrily and shambles through the from door of the Three Roses.

Once inside, she lurches toward the bar, casting a rheumy eye around the room as she does so. She stops forcefully and drops a few decayed coins and growls for an ale, slobber and a thick tongue making her difficult to understand.

She glares at the poor merchant next to her and hacks wetly.

Megaelin's Alter self spell and cast-away cloak easily changed her into a vastly different person, and though accostomed to hiding in plain sight like this, she'd based the appearance on a fishwife she'd seen only that morning. Thinking about her wart and bulging eyes was fairly grotesque, but the spittle and toothlessness sounded so silly she almost laughed at herself a few times.

She turned a bloated eye toward the man next to her and hacked, and at his disgusted look she actually did laugh, though this only caused more drool to bubble onto the bartop.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-16, 08:30 PM
Eywels felt he seen enough. He got up, straightened himself up and headed to the Three Roses.

Darren Darkcloak strides towards the Three Roses, a hood concealing his face. He'd spent the last few minutes watching patrons enter the bar from a block away, but soon noticed he was not the only one doing so. Perhaps he should find that more alarming, and any other day he would probably play it safe and leave. But the shadows of the undercity are oddly comforting, as is the dagger he has concealed under his cloak. Besides, Darren has always had a weakness for mystery.

Darren enters the bar, and casts a quick gaze around to find the bartender and assess any potential threats.

A haggard old woman, hunched under a ragged charcoal cloak, hisses and kicks at a stray cat alonge the cobbled street. Her furious eyebrows and widow's peak jut angrily from her weathered hood. She sniffs angrily and shambles through the from door of the Three Roses.

Once inside, she lurches toward the bar, casting a rheumy eye around the room as she does so. She stops forcefully and drops a few decayed coins and growls for an ale, slobber and a thick tongue making her difficult to understand.

She glares at the poor merchant next to her and hacks wetly.

Megaelin's Alter self spell and cast-away cloak easily changed her into a vastly different person, and though accostomed to hiding in plain sight like this, she'd based the appearance on a fishwife she'd seen only that morning. Thinking about her wart and bulging eyes was fairly grotesque, but the spittle and toothlessness sounded so silly she almost laughed at herself a few times.

She turned a bloated eye toward the man next to her and hacked, and at his disgusted look she actually did laugh, though this only caused more drool to bubble onto the bartop.

Sir Edrick had almost not gone. Cryptic messages and curious instructions set him on edge. He thought on what he should do silently for nearly an hour. He had no talent for disguises and his hair made him stand out, so if he entered he would be known for anyone who cared. It could be a trap, yet it seemed far too much effort for an upstart like him.

Finally he decided that he needed to take the risk. Quickly he dressed himself in the poor merchant clothes of his youth, hoping that he would look like the poor Luag immigrant he was supposed to be. On the way over he did buy a knife. It wasn't much of a weapon, in all honesty but if he needed to he could fight in it.

Finally deeming himself ready he entered the tavern and bought himself a drink, waiting for LM.

The bartenter eyes the four people at his bar.

"L. Mason?" he queries, and assumedly receives nods.

He brings you to the back room.

For a long moment, William remained silent, perhaps working out a way to avoid giving up his identity. His sharp eyes gleaming with power thirst, he shifted his hood back, letting his silver-gold ponytail fall across his shoulder. He spoke in a soft, melodious voice.
I am Ser William Sylvannis-Penning, owner of Penning plantation, and a Thane of house Sylvannis. I would ask that you tell me a bit of yourself now, M'Lady Victoria.
He shifted, leaning himself back against a wall as his cloak parted, revealing his shining armor, and the blade-hilts that his palms rubbed idly.

"Lady Victoria Arcturus, of the house of Arcturus, naturally. I am here at the behest of one Lucius Mason, to whom I was once betrothed to be married, in the way small children are when playing in the meadows. Your house is known to me, and I commend you on an excellent choice of ward and master."

As you two speak, the dark elf remains silent, while the dwarf is breaking open the bone and sucking out the marrow loudly. Victoria ignores it with some effort.

The other four are led in, and behind them in short time, a few minutes after each other, three more come. These newcomers are two women and a male halfling. The halfling is dressed in the manner of a mortal alchemist, with a heavy apron and thick leather breeches, googles resting on his forehead. The smell of ozone and sulfur, two magical after effects, marks him as a student of some more explosive kind of magic. He sits at a chair, grinning from ear to ear, and laughing to himself when looking at the purple-green triangular mark on his hand. One of the women is heavily tattooed, with her body (as far as you can tell) covered in markings, and her armour black and spiked, head shorn of hair, piercings run through her lips and eyebrows. The other woman is, compared to the exotic assortment before you, quite tame looking. Her hair is reddish-brown, and she carries a few books with her. She sports slightly pointed ears, but none of the other telltale features of elven blood save her golden eyes (grey elf). She immediately takes a seat as well, and begins writing in a journal as she looks each of you up and down.

Continued in the next post . . . unless anyone wants to ask any of these people questions?

Galt_Devil
2012-03-16, 08:48 PM
William will simply offer each a polite nod, and perhaps a small smile for the new Elvish woman as he sweeps his hair back so that it falls behind his shoulder, relaxing against the wall.

Admiral
2012-03-16, 09:15 PM
Darren is silent and nonresponsive, but his mind is racing. He hadn't expected this many people to be in the meeting, and feels uncomfortable at the large number of variables to keep track of.

To calm himself, he stares at each of the participants in turn, and briefly imagines how he would kill them if he had to- a morbid habit, perhaps, but one that has saved his life on more than one occasion.

shugyosha
2012-03-16, 10:17 PM
Eywels flashes his devil-may-care smile, "Ladies."

Dienekes
2012-03-16, 10:53 PM
Edrick silently finds a corner to sit in the back room, with his back protected against the wall. L Mason, now he had a name. Excellent, as soon as this was over he would scour the city for information on this shadowy figure. Whatever information he found today, he would need to have verified.

It was only when the three entered behind him that he really began to pay attention to those around him. Apparently come with secrecy meant to wear their most expensive armor, and display obvious signs of magic to some of his compatriots. This did not make him feel at ease in their company. When the probably half-elven woman came to observe him, Edrick gave her a cold stare. "Well?" he finally said. "See anything useful?" he asked the woman.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-16, 11:25 PM
Eywels flashes his devil-may-care smile, "Ladies."

The redhead raises an eyebrow and makes a note in her journal, then smiles at you.

"Don't talk to me."

She makes another note in her journal.

The tattooed one walks over and looks you up and down.

"I like you. You think you've got a chance. I like it. We'll talk later."

Victoria looks at you.

"Actually, I believe I'm the only gentry among the women here thus far."

Edrick silently finds a corner to sit in the back room, with his back protected against the wall. L Mason, now he had a name. Excellent, as soon as this was over he would scour the city for information on this shadowy figure. Whatever information he found today, he would need to have verified.

It was only when the three entered behind him that he really began to pay attention to those around him. Apparently come with secrecy meant to wear their most expensive armor, and display obvious signs of magic to some of his compatriots. This did not make him feel at ease in their company. When the probably half-elven woman came to observe him, Edrick gave her a cold stare. "Well?" he finally said. "See anything useful?" he asked the woman.

"Not much."

Gorgon_Heap
2012-03-17, 12:33 AM
"So then," says the crone, dabbing drool with her ratty cloak, "what's this about?"

shugyosha
2012-03-17, 10:49 AM
The redhead raises an eyebrow and makes a note in her journal, then smiles at you.

"Don't talk to me."

She makes another note in her journal.

Eywels knew when a no meant something else; he winked at her.

The tattooed one walks over and looks you up and down.

"I like you. You think you've got a chance. I like it. We'll talk later."

"Looking forward to it," he said with the same bravado.

Victoria looks at you.

"Actually, I believe I'm the only gentry among the women here thus far."

"Victoria, every woman is a Lady as every man is a scoundrel, or did they not teach you that in gentry school. Too busy learning to put on armor?" says Eywels in a clearly mocking but playful (and possibly flirty) tone.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-17, 11:08 AM
"So then," says the crone, dabbing drool with her ratty cloak, "what's this about?"

Lucius, a tall and reedy man with curly locks of golden hair strides in and shuts the door.

"I have gathered you twelve here to discern how best to deal with a growing threat in the court. Should any of you feel incapable of dealing with this, leave now."

He drops a bag on the table

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-17, 02:13 PM
Selena Trimaine

Selena recognised Eywels entering, a roguish man she'd always thought, but he had a charm that appealed to her, though she wasn't going to let that come through her shadowy facade. The other arrivals were a strange assortment, especially when they all seemed interested in displaying their most obvious talents.

The one with murder in his eyes sent a chill down her spine. She'd known men like him and thought him probably the most dangerous in the room.

Knowledge Arcana check to ascertain what the halfling has done with the green and purple mark - [roll0]

Then Lucius entered and her attention shifted straight to him. Why had this man chosen her, and what exactly was his plan?

Galt_Devil
2012-03-17, 02:25 PM
Lady fortune favors the bold, and silver always goes to the bravest.
William stepped forward, and, if his path goes unbarred, opens the bag to peer in.

Dienekes
2012-03-17, 05:42 PM
"Not much."

"Heh," Edrick gave a mirthless chuckle. The battles of wit and words had never been his forte, and if she saw nothing in him to be feared then so much the better. He enjoyed proving those that underestimated him wrong.

Finally this L Mason arrived. As he spoke Edrick quickly tried to think back of what he knew of the man.
Knowledge: Nobility check I believe.
[roll0]

Admiral
2012-03-17, 07:21 PM
Others are loyal to Mason. Things get too dangerous (weapon in bag?), draw dagger. Stab Mason behind the skull, paralyzing, not killing. Dagger to throat, use Mason as protection, get out of the room. Slit Mason's throat, probably bartender's too. Disappear into street, ditch cloak, disguise self, leave city.

Biggest threat: mages. Kill halfling first?...

Darren's mind continues its scheming, almost involuntarily, but still he says nothing.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-18, 09:55 AM
Selena Trimaine

Selena recognised Eywels entering, a roguish man she'd always thought, but he had a charm that appealed to her, though she wasn't going to let that come through her shadowy facade. The other arrivals were a strange assortment, especially when they all seemed interested in displaying their most obvious talents.

The one with murder in his eyes sent a chill down her spine. She'd known men like him and thought him probably the most dangerous in the room.

Knowledge Arcana check to ascertain what the halfling has done with the green and purple mark - [roll0]

Then Lucius entered and her attention shifted straight to him. Why had this man chosen her, and what exactly was his plan?

You don't know specifics, but it appears to have been an evocation reaction, that much is clear.

Lady fortune favors the bold, and silver always goes to the bravest.
William stepped forward, and, if his path goes unbarred, opens the bag to peer in.

Inside the bag is a series of coins, some stamped with a rose on one side and a angel on the other, the others stamped on one side with a lily and the other is blank.

"Newly minted currency used in the shadow dealings and undercity of Vern. They point to two organizations with need for identifiable capital and designs on rulership or control, for why else would one strike coins?"

You notice some of the coins have flecks of blood on them.

"Heh," Edrick gave a mirthless chuckle. The battles of wit and words had never been his forte, and if she saw nothing in him to be feared then so much the better. He enjoyed proving those that underestimated him wrong.

Finally this L Mason arrived. As he spoke Edrick quickly tried to think back of what he knew of the man.
Knowledge: Nobility check I believe.
[roll0]

See PM

Others are loyal to Mason. Things get too dangerous (weapon in bag?), draw dagger. Stab Mason behind the skull, paralyzing, not killing. Dagger to throat, use Mason as protection, get out of the room. Slit Mason's throat, probably bartender's too. Disappear into street, ditch cloak, disguise self, leave city.

Biggest threat: mages. Kill halfling first?...

Darren's mind continues its scheming, almost involuntarily, but still he says nothing.

The halfling is flexing his fingers, and seems for a moment to look your way, then down at his hands again, smiling.

Galt_Devil
2012-03-18, 10:16 AM
His stomach suddenly aflutter, William silently hooded his gaze, schooling his face into smoothness.
Interesting. Very much so. And what would you propose that we do about this organisation, Mason?
William leaned back against the wall again, his cloak thrown back over his shoulders, torchlight reflecting off of his form-fitting mithral.

shugyosha
2012-03-18, 10:32 AM
"Two groups vying for control... isn't it always the ways it is. What makes it so special this time?" Eywels asks in a way that is both flippant and serious.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-18, 10:52 AM
Selena Trimaine

Selena subtly moves her hands, turning the requisite gestures for her magic into small, natural looking movements hidden in the shadows that surround her.

Selena casts a Silent Detect Thoughts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectThoughts.htm) (60ft cone should get quite a few people, but aiming most importantly to get Lucius) [Level 3] using the conceal spellcasting skill trick to hide her somatic movements. (DC 16 Will save)

Sleight of hand (opposed by people's spot checks): [roll0]

Admiral
2012-03-18, 12:02 PM
Spot: [roll0]

Admiral
2012-03-18, 01:42 PM
Darren recognizes the gestures of an arcane spell when he sees it. He doesn't know what the woman's casting, but he searches her face for clues.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-18, 01:58 PM
Against Selena's bluff check?

[roll0]

Also not sure if this would affect it, but you can't really see her face (though you could learn something from her body language I'd guess)

Gorgon_Heap
2012-03-18, 02:54 PM
The crone points to Eywels. "What he says. If you got your hands on this stuff you know who they are and can drag'em into the light. What do you us for?"

Rolls
Kno: nobility to recognize folks [roll0]
Kno: local to recognize other people or at least organizations they might be part of [roll1]
Spot Selena's movement [roll2] (c'mon natural 20!)

edit: Boooooo!

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-18, 04:19 PM
His stomach suddenly aflutter, William silently hooded his gaze, schooling his face into smoothness.
Interesting. Very much so. And what would you propose that we do about this organisation, Mason?
William leaned back against the wall again, his cloak thrown back over his shoulders, torchlight reflecting off of his form-fitting mithral.

"I'd propose you see who these two organizations are. I do not know who is behind these people, and their actions have been varied. I found a room filled with twenty people, all dressed like adventurers, but they had some of those coins in their pockets. These organizations have each been involved in murder, extortion and blackmail at the very least, and some slaad and fiends have been found whose summoning can be traced back to a payment with these coins."

"Two groups vying for control... isn't it always the ways it is. What makes it so special this time?" Eywels asks in a way that is both flippant and serious.

"This time, the agenda is not clear. I would have the agenda revealed, if only to prove this is nothing beyond the usual."

Selena Trimaine

Selena subtly moves her hands, turning the requisite gestures for her magic into small, natural looking movements hidden in the shadows that surround her.

Selena casts a Silent Detect Thoughts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectThoughts.htm) (60ft cone should get quite a few people, but aiming most importantly to get Lucius) [Level 3] using the conceal spellcasting skill trick to hide her somatic movements. (DC 16 Will save)

Sleight of hand (opposed by people's spot checks): [roll0]

See PM which will be sent once stat blocks are finished for all six.

The crone points to Eywels. "What he says. If you got your hands on this stuff you know who they are and can drag'em into the light. What do you us for?"

Rolls
Kno: nobility to recognize folks [roll0]
Kno: local to recognize other people or at least organizations they might be part of [roll1]
Spot Selena's movement [roll2] (c'mon natural 20!)

edit: Boooooo!

"But I don't know who they are. That is the problem. Agents do not the mastermind reveal."

See PM which will be sent later.

shugyosha
2012-03-18, 06:56 PM
"I'd propose you see who these two organizations are. I do not know who is behind these people, and their actions have been varied. I found a room filled with twenty people, all dressed like adventurers, but they had some of those coins in their pockets. These organizations have each been involved in murder, extortion and blackmail at the very least, and some slaad and fiends have been found whose summoning can be traced back to a payment with these coins."

"Who have they murdered, who is being extorted and for what, who is being blackmailed?" asks Eywels incredulously. Without specifics he can't take this man seriously.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-18, 07:14 PM
Selena Trimaine

This man moved in circles where murder, blackmail and extortion were the norm, that sounded interesting, and she immediately decided to rate the danger he posed that bit higher.

Eywels question was forthright and to the point, but he was right, this looked like her opportunity to get ahead and carve out her niche of power, but she needed more information, a lot more before she considered allowing herself to be recruited by this man.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-18, 07:35 PM
"Who have they murdered, who is being extorted and for what, who is being blackmailed?" asks Eywels incredulously. Without specifics he can't take this man seriously.

"A partial list I will utter here, and more shall be revealed as needed. Those murdered include guildmaster Shaftsley, who many know as the owner of the Gutted Trout down on the dock, but those in the shadows know as a man who commands a fleet of assassins. Another victim is Brother Tiberius of Kord, who was to run for representative of the shipyard district. Whispers are mentioned of the assistant guildmaster of the companions guild, one Yelena Burchov, being found with her eyes pierced by dirks. As for blackmail and extortion, let it be only said that there are few sectors who do not have within them a target."

Admiral
2012-03-18, 08:27 PM
Darren sits up slightly, and in a soft, steady voice utters his first words of the night.

"Nicolas Shaftsley is dead?"

shugyosha
2012-03-18, 08:49 PM
Eywels

He knew Shaftsley, or rather Eywels was known at the Gutted Trout; not more than once had his drunk ass been removed from that fine establishment. If he'd known that Shaftsley was a guild master of assassins he would have behaved better... or not.

Picking up a pair of unmatching coins Eywels takes a careful look. In a more serious tone than before he asks "So how did you come to get these coins?"

Giving a glance to the bookish girl, "Make sure you get this all down, sweetheart," he says with a wink.

[roll0] Appraise the coins. What metal are they made from? who is the artist who might have done the work?

[roll1] Knowledge local: Does he know anything about these people who were murdered? Are these murders new or old news? Is the general belief that these are accidents not murders?

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-18, 10:38 PM
Eywels

He knew Shaftsley, or rather Eywels was known at the Gutted Trout; not more than once had his drunk ass been removed from that fine establishment. If he'd known that Shaftsley was a guild master of assassins he would have behaved better... or not.

Picking up a pair of unmatching coins Eywels takes a careful look. In a more serious tone than before he asks "So how did you come to get these coins?"

Giving a glance to the bookish girl, "Make sure you get this all down, sweetheart," he says with a wink.

[roll0] Appraise the coins. What metal are they made from? who is the artist who might have done the work?

[roll1] Knowledge local: Does he know anything about these people who were murdered? Are these murders new or old news? Is the general belief that these are accidents not murders?

You don't know anything relevant about the murders.

The coins are gold, and they appear to show the work of some uptown artisan.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-19, 05:01 AM
Selena Trimaine

As Eywels is examining the coins, Selena moves forwards and picks one of each type up, casually examining them before, pocketing them for future examination.

Galt_Devil
2012-03-19, 05:25 AM
Reaching forward, as had a few of his compatriots, William smiled idly at the coins in his hand.
And why, pray tell, should we care enough to help you? For that matter, why should any of us trust you? Or the rest of us in this room?You've managed to gather a lovely assortment of what appears to be scheming petty nobility, hedge knights, and gutter-dwelling smallfolk. Why should any of us trust the other?

Sense motive check on LM [roll0]

shugyosha
2012-03-19, 09:08 AM
Eywels looks up from the coins he waits for Mason's answer to his question.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-19, 09:23 AM
Eywels looks up from the coins he waits for Mason's answer to his question.

"I came by the coins, as I said before, while cleaning out some operations I had suspected were just routine cult or criminal things. I could be mistaken, perhaps my first assumption was correct and these are unrelated, and this is simply a currency making its way into the underground."

Reaching forward, as had a few of his compatriots, William smiled idly at the coins in his hand.
And why, pray tell, should we care enough to help you? For that matter, why should any of us trust you? Or the rest of us in this room?You've managed to gather a lovely assortment of what appears to be scheming petty nobility, hedge knights, and gutter-dwelling smallfolk. Why should any of us trust the other?

Sense motive check on LM [roll0]

"I've gathered three assassins, several nobles, Dwalin over there," he indicates the dwarf, "and a man a far sight better than you at magic. The reason you care enough is because you do. It's simply economics of the most expedient kind. Those who wish to help people will be given the power to do so. Others with less noble intentions will simply receive the power part. I will, if you are willing, assess who works where, and divide you among a 'heavy lifting' team and a 'covert operations' team."

shugyosha
2012-03-19, 09:31 AM
Eywels

"More specifics, man," Eywels inpatients was beginning to show. "Where were these operations? Why did you suspect them in the first place?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-19, 09:33 AM
Eywels

"More specifics, man," Eywels inpatients was beginning to show. "Where were these operations? Why did you suspect them in the first place?"

"Less specifics actually. Either accept the offer or feel free to go home. I have no time to be grilled for answers by an opportunist who is just trying to get what he can and sell it to the highest bidder. If you feel I misread you, prove me wrong."

Lucius is growing impatient with having to repeat himself.

shugyosha
2012-03-19, 10:04 AM
Eywels

Eywels pockets the coins and then leans over the table to Mason, knuckles bearing on the wood. "You are the one who asked me here. Then you know what kind of person I am. Given what you said, if any of I said the wrong thing to the wrong person you, Lord Mason will have a target on your head. " His eyes darts to all the others, "In fact that would go for anyone of us. You don't strike me as a stupid man, so you must already know the quality of the people here."

The roguish man stands and folds his arms, "Either you are telling the truth about this conspiracy or you are just another noble playing a game. The only way to secure my participation is to give me more specifics. You have a bag of gold; you tell us people are dead; you say it's murder, but what does any of us really know about it. Tell us something concrete."

Do I need a diplomacy check? If so please make it for me, Chivalry.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-19, 04:42 PM
Eywels

Eywels pockets the coins and then leans over the table to Mason, knuckles bearing on the wood. "You are the one who asked me here. Then you know what kind of person I am. Given what you said, if any of I said the wrong thing to the wrong person you, Lord Mason will have a target on your head. " His eyes darts to all the others, "In fact that would go for anyone of us. You don't strike me as a stupid man, so you must already know the quality of the people here."

The roguish man stands and folds his arms, "Either you are telling the truth about this conspiracy or you are just another noble playing a game. The only way to secure my participation is to give me more specifics. You have a bag of gold; you tell us people are dead; you say it's murder, but what does any of us really know about it. Tell us something concrete."

Do I need a diplomacy check? If so please make it for me, Chivalry.

"Fine then. I'll tell you where one of them was. The warehouse district was the site of a cult of incubi, and that I can link to the rose/angel coins. A cache of several hundred, obviously not here at the moment. I have two incubi alive still, and this is as good a time as any, who here is skilled in torture?"

Max ranks in Intimidate or having torture impliments from BoVD mainly.

Dwalin and Victoria put their hands up.

shugyosha
2012-03-19, 06:09 PM
Eywels

He shakes his head with a smile, "Torture? Really? Here I thought you were a learned man. You have two very good lead already. First is the death Shaftsley, our covert assassin leader. You don't kill an assassin guild leader unless you are going to get control of the guild or get rid of them all together. Unless the assassins here are part of that guild we need to know who's the new leader.

"Second, are these coins," Eywels picks up one of the coins. "There are only so many artisans who can mint coins with this craftsmanship. We find out who designed them we have a better chance on figuring who these belong to. And the coins with only a lily on one side... they could be unfinished. Again the craftsman who did it is going to be very important lead.

"Torture if you like. I'm sure you'll get the answer you're looking for... though it may not be the truth. But before you do that, I'd lilke to know who else is in this cabal and what their skills are."

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-19, 08:02 PM
Eywels

He shakes his head with a smile, "Torture? Really? Here I thought you were a learned man. You have two very good lead already. First is the death Shaftsley, our covert assassin leader. You don't kill an assassin guild leader unless you are going to get control of the guild or get rid of them. Unless the assassins here are part of that guild we know who's the new leader.

"Second, are these coins," Eywels picks up one of the coins. "There are only so many artisans who can mint coins with this craftsmanship. We find out who designed them we have a better chance on figuring who these belong to. And the coins with only a lily on one side... they could be unfinished. Again the craftsman who did it is going to be very important lead.

"Torture if you like. I'm sure you'll get the answer you're looking for... though it may not be the truth. But before you do that, I'd lilke to know who else is in this cabal and what their skills are."

"This cabal or the ones I'm sending you to find information out about?"

shugyosha
2012-03-19, 08:07 PM
Eywels

"That would be nice, but I meant our group here. I'll start: I'm Eywels, friend to the fairer sex and dashing scoundrel to others." When he says scoundrel he looks right at Lady Victoria with raise of his eye brow.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-19, 10:21 PM
Eywels

"That would be nice, but I meant our group here. I'll start: I'm Eywels, friend to the fairer sex and dashing scoundrel to others." When he says scoundrel he looks right at Lady Victoria with **** of his eye brow.

Victoria: "Lady Victoria Arcturus, former childhood friend to mister Mason. Trained in courtly manner, etiquette, poise, riding, brawling, the art of tea, and an assortment of skills picked up during the Ishkari conflict. Fluent in five languages, those beings the common tongue, elven, dwarven, orcish and I'm ashamed to say gnoll, though that was by osmosis I assure. I know smatterings of other languages, though the words known are not for this table."

Dwalin: "*HHHHUUUURRRRKKKKK*" he spits "name's Dwalin. What can I say, I'm your everyday all around multipurpose tool. Got a number of talents, mostly in the breaking and entering and breaking and breaking department. Trained for a brief period in appraisal and linguistics, moon-lighting as an apothecary, locksmith and counter-forgery expert for the Vern guard until I realized I might make a spot more on the other team. I would also like everyone to know that I do consultations and am quite flexible on pricing, though make sure you don't catch anything off me, you don't want what I got."

Tattoos: "Name's Twilight, as far as you need to know. I've lived in this city all my life. I know the bars, I know the people, I know who sleeps with who, and who sleeps with the animals. If there's need of anything, I can pro . . . pro . . . get it. Also a fair hand with a blade, though truth be told I've always loved the feel of a heavy axe in my hands. Never lets you down when you need it, much more reliable than the man that made it."

Drow: a soft hiss can be heard as he turns to face you all instead of staring off into the distance. As he pulls back his hood, you see he has an eye that darts around in the socket, looking this way and that, seeming to stare longingly at necks and chests. His other eye remains fixed on the center of the table. " . . . . I am Pavral, the conduit through which my lord may flow. those who forsake or do not heed his rasped words, carried on dying breath, will suffer. I am the sword wielded by the hand of his usurper. Their guidance moves my steel, and gives my purpose life, and my will function."

Halfling: "Walace Laughshield of Wally and Caiden's Sage and Time services. We'll provide you careful guidance on both any issues concerning planar queries, as well as general magical flow. Weave is our specialty. Also, my brother Caiden does clockworking. It's a play on terms, you see . . . aw never mind, you get it. Other than that, I've been known to wiggle my fingers and make the universal laws bend to my will." He laughs and pours himself some water from a pitcher on the table.

Book: "Abigail Lemont. I am trained both in artful fencing and learned scholarly skills. I can do the thinking for all of you, I'm clearly better at it than you all judging from your squabbling."

Galt_Devil
2012-03-20, 02:11 PM
William lets out a melodic laugh at Abigail's comment, arching a silver-gold brow.
My lady, I wasn't aware that I had been squabbling so.
He turns to face the room at large, a broad glistening smile on his face as he tosses off his dark grey robe with a flourish, his whole body seeming to move with astounding fluidity.
As I told the good Lady Victoria, I shall now tell you, since we are sharing. I am Ser William Sylvannis-Penning, the current owner by birthright of Penning plantation and all of her incomes, skilled in the arts of combat, most especially fencing, and in song, harpwork and courtly manners. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Silver Knight. A twinkle is kindled somewhere in his grinning eyes as he bows, all glistening and basking in his own theatrics, before he leans back against the wall again.

Dienekes
2012-03-20, 04:53 PM
Edrick quickly absorbed what everyone was saying, trying to memorize each piece of information about this motley crew. Oh his boys will work hard to scrap up every piece of information on them.

But for now all he had was his judgment. A hotheaded lech, a noblewoman well versed in torture, a dwarf with an optimistic opinion of his own usefulness, a secretive spy, an insane elf, a midget magician who thinks he's funny, an arrogant scholar, and a dandy. What the hell is Mason planning? Several looked near ready to attack whoever was sitting next to them, and the others seemed eager to egg them on.

"I'm Edd. I fight," Edrick said, as he scratched at his cheap tunic in a manner most becoming a gutter rat. Mason may know a bit more about him, but these ones won't until he was certain of them.

Another knowledge noble check to see what I know about William and Victoria
William:[roll0]
Victoria:[roll1]

shugyosha
2012-03-21, 06:31 PM
Eywels looks at 'Edd' incredulously. Then to the others that have not answered, even Lord Mason.

[roll0] sense motive vs bluff against Edrick
[roll1] sense motive vs disguise against Edrick

Gorgon_Heap
2012-03-22, 02:38 PM
The crone listens as the others talk and introduce themselves, casting a bleary, goggled eye from face to face and occasionally dabbing drool from the corner of her mouth.

"For now I'm "M". I like to learn things and care deeply for this kingdom, so I'll do as I can to find those meaning harm to our people."
She looks over the coins on the table, more closely as people lift them into the light, but makes no move for them.

She chews something for a moment and raises her head in what might be pride, though its hard to tell past the osteoporosis.

Admiral
2012-03-22, 06:14 PM
"My name is Darren Darkcloak," says Darren, hardly moving. "I know how to kill."

Gorgon_Heap
2012-03-22, 09:05 PM
"Yes, yes," thecrone, M, says, slurping. "Killing, fighting, combat ..." she waggles her ferocious brows at Eywels ... "scoundreling. All good.

Knowledge is power. Power there is here more than in the swordarm.

Lucius. With demons and leaderless assasins about we must look to the anonymity and operational security of this band. I know you of all people understand the need for caution.

We'd not want to be caught en mass, am I correct Lady Victoria?

Having this bunch together in one room makes me nervous. You suggested groupings, Lucius. It may be best if we meet in those smaller groups and communicate secretly without set times observable by suspicious eyes.

If we all need to meet, why doesn't a little birdy tell us?" she says directly to Lucius.

"Now, I've places to be other than standing around with you lot. Why don't we consider some immediate points of interest - other than torturing those demons - and get about it?"

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-23, 07:55 AM
Selena Trimaine

"Know me as Assana. I can assist you all in many ways. But for the moment I agree with 'M'. We have drawn enough attention to ourselves meeting like this. I suggest we separate and reconvene in smaller groups, I'm sure you all have a lot to dwell on."

Selena turns to leave, and if she isn't stopped will wait outside the tavern in the shadows, with a plan...

shugyosha
2012-03-24, 10:38 AM
Eywels

That voice, thinks Eywels and gives a quick glance at the figure shrouded in shadows.

Although Assana, Darren, and Edd (if that were their real names) were less than forth coming, it was all that he was going to get from them. "Well, that just leaves you Mr Mason. What are your credentials."

Once he replies, he flips a pair of coins at Abigail, "So miss 'I can do the thinking for all of you' which artisan's are these? Is there anything you can tell us about these?"

"And Twilight, what do you know of this assassin guild that was headed by Shaftsley?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-24, 09:13 PM
Eywels

That voice, thinks Eywels and gives a quick glance at the figure shrouded in shadows.

Although Assana, Darren, and Edd (if that were their real names) were less than forth coming, it was all that he was going to get from them. "Well, that just leaves you Mr Mason. What are your credentials."

"I provide backing and coverage for you. Should you need safehouses I can establish them, should you require certain things they can be sought."

Once he replies, he flips a pair of coins at Abigail, "So miss 'I can do the thinking for all of you' which artisan's are these? Is there anything you can tell us about these?"

Abigail looks through a lens she draws from her pocket, running it over her fingers, and flicks the rose one back.

"Ultrien on Fineway"

She then flicks the lily to you.

"Custom made, down in Elstone."

"And Twilight, what do you know of this assassin guild that was headed by Shaftsley?"

"I know they needed a little muscle now and then. Hire some security so the assassins don't get tempted to deal with problems themselves. What makes a good bouncer is totally different from what makes a good assassin."

A soft hissing noise is heard, but it stops as soon as anyone looks in Pavrel's direction.

"Worked there, got myself a relationship for a few weeks. Left on good terms, Shaftsley wanted to give me a bonus, didn't take it. Next thing I heard was Shaftsley had done a kidnapping, in his semi-public life mind you, and that the parent's were not of the type to take this lying down. Hired some adventurers to help, I was hired to guard the site of the break-in, suggested by the father. Easiest drinking money I ever made."

shugyosha
2012-03-26, 12:18 PM
Abigail looks through a lens she draws from her pocket, running it over her fingers, and flicks the rose one back.

"Ultrien on Fineway"

She then flicks the lily to you.

"Custom made, down in Elstone."

"You think you can identify crafts men in Elstone if you saw more of their work?"

"I know they needed a little muscle now and then. Hire some security so the assassins don't get tempted to deal with problems themselves. What makes a good bouncer is totally different from what makes a good assassin."

A soft hissing noise is heard, but it stops as soon as anyone looks in Pavrel's direction.

"Worked there, got myself a relationship for a few weeks. Left on good terms, Shaftsley wanted to give me a bonus, didn't take it. Next thing I heard was Shaftsley had done a kidnapping, in his semi-public life mind you, and that the parent's were not of the type to take this lying down. Hired some adventurers to help, I was hired to guard the site of the break-in, suggested by the father. Easiest drinking money I ever made."

"That leaves us with a lot more questions. Who did he kidnap and why? Do you think these adventurers were Shaftsley's killers?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-26, 12:26 PM
"You think you can identify crafts men in Elstone if you saw more of their work?"

"Possibly. But Elstone doesn't strike coins. It's a slum owned by Bigby Elstone, a councilman and slumlord."

"That leaves us with a lot more questions. Who did he kidnap and why? Do you think these adventurers were Shaftsley's killers?"

"Ummmm. Heeeeey."

Twilight rummages through her belt pouch and produces a leger.

"Chorster, A. Owner of Dancing Mermaid in Elstone, only drinking establishment in the district. Three blocks west of Golden Hare eating hall.

Notes: Daughter Vanessa, son Charles and son Jacob (godson of councilman Jacob Cranston), taken from premises by unknown assailant. Adventuring party hired, which in turn purchased services from me. Contact- Wren"

She looks up.

"Any of that help? Wren was a teenage girl, 16-18, curly red hair. She hired me, had so much money for a young woman. Half-elf, so might have been in her twenties though she didn't look it."

shugyosha
2012-03-27, 09:55 AM
"Ummmm. Heeeeey."

Twilight rummages through her belt pouch and produces a leger.

"Chorster, A. Owner of Dancing Mermaid in Elstone, only drinking establishment in the district. Three blocks west of Golden Hare eating hall.

Notes: Daughter Vanessa, son Charles and son Jacob (godson of councilman Jacob Cranston), taken from premises by unknown assailant. Adventuring party hired, which in turn purchased services from me. Contact- Wren"

She looks up.

"Any of that help? Wren was a teenage girl, 16-18, curly red hair. She hired me, had so much money for a young woman. Half-elf, so might have been in her twenties though she didn't look it."

"So Shaftsley kidnaps the children of Chorster, then Chorster gets a group to rescue his kids," Eywels says looking at Mason, "Shaftsley's death doesn't sound much of a conspiracy... but then these hand made coins come from the same district... to much of a coincidence. Mason tell me how you got these coins."

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-27, 09:41 PM
"So Shaftsley kidnaps the children of Chorster, then Chorster gets a group to rescue his kids," Eywels says looking at Mason, "Shaftsley's death doesn't sound much of a conspiracy... but then these hand made coins come from the same district... to much of a coincidence. Mason tell me how you got these coins."

"They were used to pay for several apartments and storage warehouses. When I tracked the paperwork, I found those places ransacked, empty and appearing to have been broken into in the most amateur fashion possible."

shugyosha
2012-03-27, 09:52 PM
"Curiouser and Curiouser," Eywels remarks. "What is the time line of events, when did you find these coins, when was Shaftsley killed and when was the kidnapping?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-27, 10:25 PM
"Curiouser and Curiouser," Eywels remarks. "What is the time line of events, when did you find these coins, when was Shaftsley killed and when was the kidnapping?"

"I found the coins a few days ago. The kidnapping happened last month, and Shaftsley has been dead anywhere from five days to three weeks, as he was found covered in unguent of timelessness, so he's been dead anywhere from when the last time any of my contacts saw him to when he was pulled out of the river."

shugyosha
2012-03-28, 10:30 AM
"Okay, okay..." the roguish man says thinking. "What does any one know of this Ultrien?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-28, 11:12 AM
"Okay, okay..." the roguish man says thinking. "What does any one know of this Ultrien?"

Victoria places her tea cup down "He is a dwarven goldsmith in Fineway, specifically on the street called Fineway. Does fine work with silver and other metals too. Apparently started out a blacksmith, so knows his way around armour and weapons too. All in all an upstanding fellow, probably commisioned to do these coins in celebration of something."

Dwalin chuckles "Or he saw a profit in under the table dealing."

Victoria taps her fingers on the table at the suggestion, trying to conceal a scowl.

Admiral
2012-03-28, 12:32 PM
Darren turns to Twilight. "Shaftsley was the reason I came to this city," he says. "I had heard great things of him- assassins in the country speak of his leadership and fairness, not to mention his skill with a blade. Anyone who got the drop on him must have been quite the professional. I am with you, if only to find his killers."

Darren's mind is clearly racing, putting pieces and plans together. His fingers start twitching rapidly. "Where was Shaftsley's body found? Perhaps I could find some clues at the scene. Do we have any contacts in the clergy who can speak with the dead?"

"And this Wren... how did she get all this money she is so willing to part with? Perhaps she is in league with this conspiracy. While someone tortures these demons, others among us should seek her out. I am certain we can acquire her cooperation."

Gorgon_Heap
2012-03-28, 12:38 PM
"Hum," says the crone, tapping her own foot in vexation. "Thatsh enough for me," she dribbles.

"I can make my own inquiries. And if I find cause, I'll make it known we've a need for further ... complicity."

She wheels about and rambles outside, one bulging eye turning this way and that in a charicature of menace.

She scowls at the sunlight outside and staggers for the closest alley.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-28, 01:40 PM
Darren turns to Twilight. "Shaftsley was the reason I came to this city," he says. "I had heard great things of him- assassins in the country speak of his leadership and fairness, not to mention his skill with a blade. Anyone who got the drop on him must have been quite the professional. I am with you, if only to find his killers."

Darren's mind is clearly racing, putting pieces and plans together. His fingers start twitching rapidly. "Where was Shaftsley's body found? Perhaps I could find some clues at the scene. Do we have any contacts in the clergy who can speak with the dead?"

"And this Wren... how did she get all this money she is so willing to part with? Perhaps she is in league with this conspiracy. While someone tortures these demons, others among us should seek her out. I am certain we can acquire her cooperation."

Mason leans on his hand. "Shaftsley was found in the docks, though more accurately he was found in between Sabre street and Dirk street (playful names those). You might get somewhere asking the locals. Also there is much that could be learned from the sea kin who work the water, and those sea elves which might agree to help, rare though it would be. Any number of clergy could do it, in fact a few donations might even expediate the process."

"Hum," says the crone, tapping her own foot in vexation. "Thatsh enough for me," she dribbles.

"I can make my own inquiries. And if I find cause, I'll make it known we've a need for further ... complicity."

She wheels about and rambles outside, one bulging eye turning this way and that in a charicature of menace.

She scowls at the sunlight outside and staggers for the closest alley.

Selena and the crone are both standing outside the tavern, and notice several different groups going this way and that. One pair of particular note are an elven woman in a hooded cloak, hurrying along with the most unusual
of bodyguards, a hunched over and stout orc the size of an ogre. She stops for a moment, the crowd flowing around her and her guard, and stares intently, not at you, but at the tavern itself, seeming to wish to pierce the walls and see inside. She smoothly and gracefully turns and walks away, dropping a single red rose.
You're underground.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-03-28, 02:14 PM
OOC: [Totally forgot about the underground bit. She scowls anyway. :))

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-28, 02:52 PM
Selena

As the hag leaves the tavern Selena puts a hand to her face covering her mouth and whispers a quick message.

Spoiler: Casting Message.

Gorgon Heap:
You hear a whispering in your ear, that you may or may not recognise as Assana's voice from the inn.

Come meet me at the Gilded Girl tomorrow, 2 hours after dawn. You will be among allies.

Upon seeing the woman drop the rose, Selena wanders over to it, still cloaked in her disguise and picks up the rose, then returns to watching the tavern so she can send similar messages to those she intends to gather.

Admiral
2012-03-28, 03:51 PM
Mason leans on his hand. "Shaftsley was found in the docks, though more accurately he was found in between Sabre street and Dirk street (playful names those). You might get somewhere asking the locals. Also there is much that could be learned from the sea kin who work the water, and those sea elves which might agree to help, rare though it would be. Any number of clergy could do it, in fact a few donations might even expediate the process."

Darren nods. He turns to Pavral. "You spoke of your lord. Do you have the magic of the Gods, that you might glean secrets from Shaftsley's corpse?" Darren is all too familiar with the speak with dead spell; its use once almost led to his execution. Since then he has taken precautions about what victims see in their dying moments.

"And perhaps others among us can ask around the docks and learn what secrets may be hidden there? I am not a man of words but of action, and so my interest lies in the half-elf Wren. Who will join me in finding her?"

Gorgon_Heap
2012-03-28, 04:29 PM
M flinches, and then swats around her head as if annoyed by a fly. "Yack," she says comically as Assana picks up a rose.

She spins on her heel and hurries away.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-28, 09:58 PM
Selena

As the hag leaves the tavern Selena puts a hand to her face covering her mouth and whispers a quick message.

Spoiler: Casting Message.

Gorgon Heap:
You hear a whispering in your ear, that you may or may not recognise as Assana's voice from the inn.

Come meet me at the Gilded Girl tomorrow, 2 hours after dawn. You will be among allies.

Upon seeing the woman drop the rose, Selena wanders over to it, still cloaked in her disguise and picks up the rose, then returns to watching the tavern so she can send similar messages to those she intends to gather.

Assuming Selena is wearing gloves, the rose seems to crumble in her hand, though her glove remains unharmed due to being magical. She gets a flash of something, her glove beginning to read the rose.

"Trimaine"

Darren nods. He turns to Pavral. "You spoke of your lord. Do you have the magic of the Gods, that you might glean secrets from Shaftsley's corpse?" Darren is all too familiar with the speak with dead spell; its use once almost led to his execution. Since then he has taken precautions about what victims see in their dying moments.

"And perhaps others among us can ask around the docks and learn what secrets may be hidden there? I am not a man of words but of action, and so my interest lies in the half-elf Wren. Who will join me in finding her?"

"I am capable of drawing forth his breath and learning its secrets. My master and his usurper command this power through me."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-29, 05:24 AM
Yep, she was still reading the Gloves of object reading.

Selena pauses at the shock, wondering who the woman was to know her even through her disguise

OOC- Is the woman still within sight? If so cast message again, but this time with the same message but set 3 hours after dawn. If not, she stares round before returning to her vigil.

shugyosha
2012-03-29, 08:46 AM
Eywels is about ready to leave when it dawns on him to ask more questions, "So what do we know about Yelena Burchov?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-29, 08:47 PM
Yep, she was still reading the Gloves of object reading.

Selena pauses at the shock, wondering who the woman was to know her even through her disguise

OOC- Is the woman still within sight? If so cast message again, but this time with the same message but set 3 hours after dawn. If not, she stares round before returning to her vigil.

the woman is moving effortlessly through the crowds, but stops when you cast you message. She continues walking almost immediately.

"Understood."

Eywels is about ready to leave when it dawns on him to ask more questions, "So what do we know about Yelena Burchov?"

"She was a former . . . lady of the night until she took up adventuring. Started a business so that she could control part of the 'companionship' racket in this town, and ten years later made it far enough up the guild to be assistant master."

shugyosha
2012-03-29, 09:21 PM
"And what about her death? And why would someone want to kill her?"" the last question was more to himself than anyone else. Still Eywels was concerned that there might be a connection that he was missing

"Does she have any connection to Elstone?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-29, 09:41 PM
"And what about her death? And why would someone want to kill her?"" the last question was more to himself than anyone else. Still Eywels was concerned that there might be a connection that he was missing

"Does she have any connection to Elstons?"

"Ripped apart. Someone either had a lot of rage to vent, or it was personal. And no, there's no connection to Elstone."

shugyosha
2012-03-30, 09:27 AM
Eywels

"Well I think I might know someone who might know more."

"What about Brother Tiberius of Kord? Any connection to anything said tonight? How did he die? Who would gain the most from his death?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-30, 10:36 AM
Eywels

"Well I think I might know someone who might know more."

"What about Brother Tiberius of Kord? Any connection to anything said tonight? How did he die? Who would gain the most from his death?"

"Only that he was killed by what is largely turning out to be some form of conspiracy. The only person who could gain from his leaving is the previous representative of the shipyards, Guildmaster Shaftsley. Tiberius died of strangulation, barbed length of chain it seems."

shugyosha
2012-03-30, 11:56 AM
"How would have Shaftsley gained? Do you think Shaftsley was killed in revenge? So, who is the next person to gain anything from this?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-30, 01:56 PM
"How would have Shaftsley gained? Do you think Shaftsley was killed in revenge? So, who is the next person to gain anything from this?"

"Asked and answered already."

Mason gets up and refastens his cloak.

"If anyone has further questions, direct them to actual people involved in these matters, I have a dinner to get to."

He leaves the room, rubbing his temples from the non-stop questions.

OOC: tavern meeting concluded. Go about whatever you decide to do now.

Galt_Devil
2012-03-30, 02:16 PM
William claps his hands together with a soft smile
"Well. That answers many questions but leaves more in its wake, does it not? I propose that we begin by searching into these coins."
He flips one of the lily coins into the air and catches it.
"I believe that if we trace the currency, we will find the murderers of Shaftsley, and can best bring them to justice and unravel as much of this conspiracy as possible. I will have ears begin wandering the slums of Elstone, and perhaps we should consider questioning this Dwarvern smith. Any who would work with me in this, we may speak more, but not here."
He gives the name of a particular alleyway in a slum of Vern, before wrapping his cloak tightly about him, pulling up his hood and beginning to leave.

shugyosha
2012-03-30, 02:54 PM
Eywels gets up then asks the tattooed woman, "Twilight, why don't we head to the Gutted Trout for a drink and a looksy?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-30, 03:29 PM
Eywels gets up then asks the tattooed woman, "Twilight, why don't we head to the Gutted Trout for a drink and a looksy?"

"Sigh. I guess we could do that. Keep up and don't embarass me."

She pulls you out of your chair and heads for the docks.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-03-30, 10:09 PM
M trundles quickly through the neighborhood until her image shifts, at which point, after ducking from a doorway, she continues in a less hurried pace.

She then sees about her regular business for a time, making inquiries into certain books or areas of research. She asks a number of subtle questions at numerous shops and private dealers regarding items or reagents needed for many summoning spells - namely if, when and what was purchased and by whom.

Later, she will also ask about some empty properties ... but intending to make a meeting come morning.

Skills
Gather info magic [roll0]
Gather info properties [roll1]

Also, when possible I'd like to make use of the Profession (bookkeeper) skill to help find data/discrepancies in money trails, etc. If needed I'll add depth to this description.

Also also, how do you want to do cash spending during GI checks? Random sp/gp rolls?

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-30, 11:04 PM
"Well, this one lady bought up a whole bunch of candles and chalk. Cinnamon too!"

"I did sell some angel down a fortnight hence. It and the water of a dying man's breath can create a powerful elixir I have heard."

"I have a beautiful apartment for rent on the dockside. You could see all the ships go by."

"A woman of discerning taste needs a villa, am I correct? You look like you've come from tough negotiations, would you like some complementary pineapple juice? Now about that villa . . ."

"Sssssssssseven sssssaphires I did sssssssell, upon which one would sssssssscribe a ward of instant ssssssssummonssssss."

Roll a d4 for gold spent.

Dienekes
2012-03-31, 10:16 AM
Well, that was enlightening. Edrick got out of his seat and stretched, before quietly leaving the premises. What game was Mason playing at? He decided to spend the night focusing his attention on him.

Leaving to his home, Edrick headed to his book of spies, consulting who would be best to send. Finally decided, Edrick called upon Derig and gave him his orders.

Find what's happening to the Prometheans Gather Information check [roll0]
Gather information on Alistair D'Arbor [roll1]

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-31, 10:57 AM
Well, that was enlightening. Edrick got out of his seat and stretched, before quietly leaving the premises. What game was Mason playing at? He decided to spend the night focusing his attention on him.

Leaving to his home, Edrick headed to his book of spies, consulting who would be best to send. Finally decided, Edrick called upon Derig and gave him his orders.

Find what's happening to the Prometheans Gather Information check [roll0]
Gather information on Alistair D'Arbor [roll1]

Prometheans: Several of their holdings and warehouses have been raided, and some of their equipment was taken, mainly some tomes. But the rest of the books were shredded and burned, so no one can tell which books were taken for certain.
Alistair:He recently lost his wife and daughter to kidnappers, and has been searching for a way to get them back.

shugyosha
2012-03-31, 11:02 AM
Eywels

Along the way Eywels asks, "So how do you know our... ah benefactor?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-31, 11:06 AM
Eywels

Along the way Eywels asks, "So how do you know our... ah benefactor?"

"Oh Mason and me go way back. His wife and I used to run in the same circles. We end up in a bind, he happens to rescue us, instant friendship. I mean, can't fault a guy for stealing your girl away after he stops ya having a date with sweet lady Pandemonium."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-31, 01:35 PM
Selena

Still waiting in the shadows Selena repeats her message for a third time: "Come meet me at the Gilded Girl 2 hours after sun up. You will be among allies." Directing it at Eywels and Ser William, thinking to herself that men are the easiest to manipulate, especially if she needed them to kill that strange woman.

After that she leaves and returning to the Gilded Girl, sets in motion some more plans of her own.
First of all she asks her girls to see what they can find out about Lucius Mason, his family and reputation etc, and if they have heard of the Seraphim of the Rose (making it seem as though she thinks the religious order may turn away her clients).
She returns to her rooms and when she is sure she is alone, takes out the coins and uses her Gloves of Object Reading on them.

Once all this is done, and depending on what she finds, she will probably go to bed. In the morning she will cast Hold Person as a retributive spell after she wakes, so she is prepared for the meeting.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-31, 10:54 PM
Selena

Still waiting in the shadows Selena repeats her message for a third time: "Come meet me at the Gilded Girl 2 hours after sun up. You will be among allies." Directing it at Eywels and Ser William, thinking to herself that men are the easiest to manipulate, especially if she needed them to kill that strange woman.

After that she leaves and returning to the Gilded Girl, sets in motion some more plans of her own.
First of all she asks her girls to see what they can find out about Lucius Mason, his family and reputation etc, and if they have heard of the Seraphim of the Rose (making it seem as though she thinks the religious order may turn away her clients).
She returns to her rooms and when she is sure she is alone, takes out the coins and uses her Gloves of Object Reading on them.

Once all this is done, and depending on what she finds, she will probably go to bed. In the morning she will cast Hold Person as a retributive spell after she wakes, so she is prepared for the meeting.

She's assured they'll keep their ears to the ground.

The rose coin reads a few hands, but one of them is a chaotic evil male middle-aged tanarukk (demon-orc), and before that a lawful good female venerable high elf

The lily coin mainly reads chaotic neutral humans of varying ages and genders, and then a chaotic good female adult half-giant

shugyosha
2012-03-31, 11:08 PM
Eywels

"Oh Mason and me go way back. His wife and I used to run in the same circles. We end up in a bind, he happens to rescue us, instant friendship. I mean, can't fault a guy for stealing your girl away after he stops ya having a date with sweet lady Pandemonium."

Eywels had a hard time believing Mason's wife might be as wild as twilight. "Do you know any one else there?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-31, 11:12 PM
Eywels

Eywels had a hard time believing Mason's wife might be as wild as twilight. "Do you know any one else there?"

"Where . . . oh you mean back at the meeting? Walace and Dwalin. Dwalin's a regular everywhere I go, or most places at least, and once you get past the disgusting habits, he's useful to have when a fight breaks out. Walace . .. ugh, Walace. Uses magic to cover his mystical tattoo on his forehead. Tries to pass himself off as an evoker, never gone near an explosion in his life. I hear strange things go down at Sage & Time."

shugyosha
2012-04-01, 12:28 AM
Eywels

"Not an evoker? Really," Eywels could not fathom why someone would try to pass themselves off as an evoker, another mystery for another time. "Twilight, I'm hoping to figure out who is the new head of this assassin's guild, and what they know about the kidnapping. You think you can get me in to talk to someone who knows that know?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-01, 12:31 AM
Eywels

"Not an evoker? Really," Eywels could not fathom why someone would try to pass themselves off as an evoker, another mystery for another time. "Twilight, I'm hoping to figure out who is the new head of this assassin's guild, and what they know about the kidnapping. You think you can get me in to talk to someone who knows that know?"

"Well, there's this one independent assassin. I could arrange a meeting, but it would have to be very 'hush-hush'"

shugyosha
2012-04-01, 09:05 PM
Eywels

Eywels continues along with Twilight, "Good, that's a start... And I might need to get into contact with Dwalin... He's done some B and E before, right?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-01, 09:43 PM
Eywels

Eywels continues along with Twilight, "Good, that's a start... And I might need to get into contact with Dwalin... He's done some B and E before, right?"

"He has, he certainly has. But enough about me and my people, tell me about you. Hobbies? Favourite places to eat? What was your first pet's name?"

shugyosha
2012-04-02, 09:55 AM
Eywels

The young man answers with a flirtatious smile and says, "How can I remain a man of mystery if I tell you all my secrets... but I'm sure my lip will be more accommodating after some ale... and then we can see exactly where those tattoos cover."

I'm assuming that everyone want to get on to the next day.

As the evening progresses he'll tell her about his early years as a sailor, exaggerating the good times and leaving out the darker times (especially during the war). And with any luck he'll have a warm bed mate.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-02, 04:22 PM
Eywels

The young man answers with a flirtatious smile and says, "How can I remain a man of mystery if I tell you all my secrets... but I'm sure my lip will be more accommodating after some ale... and then we can see exactly where those tattoos cover."

I'm assuming that everyone want to get on to the next day.

As the evening progresses he'll tell her about his early years as a sailor, exaggerating the good times and leaving out the darker times (especially during the war). And with any luck he'll have a warm bed mate.

Twilight laughs so hard she doubles over.

"You are such a hypocrite. Giving Mason a hard time about being dodgy with details but you want to keep your's to yourself. And let's put it this way. There are only a few places they don't cover, and you probably won't ever see them."

Later in the night, she listens to your stories up until the point where you try to get her into bed, where she smiles and calls over the serving girl, and expresses a desire to settle the bill, walking off with the girl. She does not return, but one of the table cleaners comes and tells you she has left about ten minutes later, and that your bill has been taken care of.

shugyosha
2012-04-02, 11:17 PM
Eywels

It wasn't the first time a girl had left him, at least this time she paid the tab.

He thought about seeing how quick he could get the bar wench but his heart wasn't in it. He went back home and spent the night alone.

The next morning he washed up and headed to the Gilded Girl. He needed to find Selena, he had words for her.

Is there anything else he learned about Twilight? Her past? etc?

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-03, 12:00 AM
Eywels

It wasn't the first time a girl had left him, at least this time she paid the tab.

He thought about seeing how quick he could get the bar wench but his heart wasn't in it. He went back home and spent the night alone.

The next morning he washed up and headed to the Gilded Girl. He needed to find Selena, he had words for her.

Is there anything else he learned about Twilight? Her past? etc?

She was incredibly tight-lipped about her past. Though you did learn she likes an expensive drink called frenzywater.

Galt_Devil
2012-04-03, 12:40 PM
((I had a long post but the forum ate it, so I'm going to make it simpler))

William arrives at the Gilded Girl a half-hour early, with his armor wrapped in rags to hide his identity, with his squire searching Elstone for clues as to the coins

Gather info check for the squire: [roll0]

shugyosha
2012-04-03, 07:55 PM
Eywels

Eywels walks in the Guilded Girl. It was earlier than usual as most of these ladies worked at night. However, those that were up, doing chores and the such he greeted smile "Godd Morning"

He immediately spotted the man in rags. That look peculiar as the Guilded Girl attracted a higher set of clients.

"Morning to you stranger," he said cautiously.

[roll0] sense motive vs disguise

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-04, 04:01 AM
From the outside, the Gilded Girl has the look of a homely villa, with a sign proclaiming it's name quite boldly. As you enter, you can see the entrance hall, with its floor inlaid with pale white flagstones and golden (gilt) engravings. The rest of the room is similarly ornate, with shades of white predominating amongst the stonework, and with golden colours to offset it, all illuminated by the light streaming in from large windows.
There is a large staircase leading down from the upper level on which a pair of the girls are talking, whilst another pair lounge around on the chaise-longues that are scattered throughout the spacious room.
When they take notice of you, they will lead you up the stairs and into another large room (though smaller than the first) which is full of darker colours, warm reds and homely browns, where a woman is sat at the head of a mahogany table with 6 seats.

Selena Trimaine

Selena sat at the table sipping from a glass of watered down wine, and feeling slightly anxious about the meeting to come. She didn't trust any of them, yet she needed to work with them, so even though her instincts were telling her to run for her life, she restrained herself, instead focussing on the rewards she envisioned for herself.

shugyosha
2012-04-04, 09:25 AM
Eywels

"Ser William Sylvannis-Penning, right?" the swarthy man said knowingly. Pointing to the stairs Eywels continues, "Come on, I think we need to go this way."

His feet are light as Eywels enters the room. "Haven't been in this room," he says in a cavalier manner. Once he is seated, he asks with a grin, "How was your night?" Then tosses her three short stemmed red roses.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-04, 09:42 AM
Selena Trmaine

Selena watched as the first two arrived, unsurprised by Eywels' bold manner, "Haven't been in this room," he remarks, making Selena grin against her will. "That is because rogues like you are not generally invited to private dinners, Eywels." She replied, still allowing some of her amusement to soften her words. "And yes, my evening was rather instructive, I take it yours was similarly fruitful?"
"We await another for the moment, then we can proceed."

Gorgon_Heap
2012-04-04, 01:06 PM
A man walks into the Gilded Girl with some hesitation.

He appears about 30, keen-eyed and short-haired. His manner speaks of shrewdness, but his cheap, disheveled clothes hang on him poorly, and his sunken eyes and stubble speak to a long, adventurous night. He carries an overstuffed satchel covered from sight with a cloth.

He looks about, a bit surprised at the lavishness of the place.

He steps to the closest person and says simply, "I'm M. I'm expected."

At a gesture toward the stairs, he walks - self-consciously - up as he gawks nervously about.

Seeing others he recognizes, he relaxes just a bit, but looks a little nervous. "Ah. Hum." He looks at the elegant woman at the table, knowing the message could only have come from her.

"I thought we'd be alone. I'm M. I'm not accustomed to doing business like this. I mean no offense, but surely you understand the desire for confidentiality.

You are, I gather, the proprieter, Assana?"

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-04, 02:36 PM
Selena Trimaine

"Selena," She corrects, buying time to get over her surprise at yet another disguise. "Selena Trimaine, and yes, I am the proprietor of the Gilded Girl."

Who is this person? I can't even tell what gender they are! Maybe I shouldn't have included this one.

"Well then, since we are convened I will lay out the agenda here. I do not doubt you have all discovered a little more in various ways about our 'situation' and I suggest pooling our resources, so to speak." She thought maybe she was sounding a bit giddy, and tried to slow down for the next bit.
"In this line of work it would be foolish to trust anyone we met the day before, but I hope we can come to some sort of business arrangement.
I will be honest with you, I do not trust Lucius Mason. We know little of our situation, and all we have been told is that there are some secret organisations out there, but what their aims are remain a mystery, as are their abilities and strengths as well as their political allegiance. With the current political climate not being overly stable, I would suggest that Mason has put us in a rather dangerous position.
But do not worry," and here Selena leans towards the men, taking on her kindest/warmest persona [and if they are close enough, laying a hand 'comfortingly' on the nearest man's arm] "I propose a careful solution to this: We gather what knowledge we can and share it among ourselves, thereby affording ourselves the complete picture. In this game, I have a feeling that being uninformed could be costly..."

shugyosha
2012-04-04, 03:16 PM
Eywels

"Alright, I'll bite. What does any of use know about Mason or anyone else that was there?"

Gorgon_Heap
2012-04-04, 03:46 PM
As Selena talks, M nods his head in agreement. "And I appreciate your revealing your place of business and identity. Feel free to call me a hypocrite for not doing likewise. Perhaps next time." He smiles.

Eywels

"Alright, I'll bite. What does any of use know about Mason or anyone else that was there?"

"Well, for starters I can tell you that man's name was not Lucius Mason. He is a noble with some skill in magic. I've heard rumor his family vanished recently, which may lend credence to the assassins' plot theory. Or it may mean this man is simply out for revenge ... or he ordered them away or killed them himself to create a conspiracy plot.

I'm sure more can be found there.

Additionally, Victoria is precisely what she seems, only moreso. Tread carefully with her, boys. I think she's got got serious respect and backing in the military and is not to be trifled with."

shugyosha
2012-04-04, 04:34 PM
Eywels

Leaning back the roguish mans mumbles, "That explains a few things"

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-04, 04:55 PM
Selena Trimaine

Well that was interesting, no wonder those two had been able to shield their thoughts, with those backgrounds they'd have been trained to do so.

"Well I have a little more to add to the pot, but I fear that it will only serve to further muddy the waters.

Twilight seems to be a simple soldier, though her talents are unknown to me, but her motivation is a debt owed to some other members of the group, I don't think she's got ulterior motives.
And Abigail killed her pet when she was ten. She is also trained to some level in fencing.

I have some leads as well: I was directed to look into the order of the Seraphim of the Rose, a religious order gaining popularity in the merchants classes." Though if Abigail is so clever why would she direct me this way? "Also I believe that the coins were first minted or in the possession of good people, in fact half-giants and elves, but were later taken by others of less pure morality."

"This is what I have learnt so far, and I am willing to be plain with you, and I hope that trust will beget trust, at least in the future. Do either of you have more to add?" Sh turns with the last comment to the noble and the rogue.

shugyosha
2012-04-04, 05:50 PM
Eywels

With a raised eyebrow Eywels asked Selena, "How do you know these thing?" About Abigail and Twilight that is?"

"All I got is that Twilight, Dwalin and that Halfling go way back. Also Mason's wife are good mates."

"Also what do you know about Yelena Burchov, you two must have crossed paths?"

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-04, 06:03 PM
Selena Trimaine

" I have my own ways, Eywels, you should know better than to press upon a woman's privacy."

"Unfortunately little, she moved on before I established myself in this business."

shugyosha
2012-04-04, 07:19 PM
Eywels

"So here is what I suggest. Ser William and M check on Mason and Lady Victoria. With Ser William's connection to the Sylvannis family and nobility should get some leads as to who Lady Victoria was betrothed to. More we know about Mason the more we can figure out his motives."

"Meanwhile, Selena and I will take look at Ultrien. I want to know who commissioned these coins."

Gorgon_Heap
2012-04-04, 07:37 PM
"I'd be wary of those too, Eywels," M the man says quietly. "Until you uncover who made them and who had them, there is a possibility a skilled deviner may use them to spy on those possessing them.

I admit I'm curious about "Mason's" motives, but I also hope we investigate the ... upheaval going on with assassins and possible assassins.

I'm making some additional inquiries because Mason says he's captured fiends. This sounds tremendously dangerous.

Did he get any volunteers to "torture" the creatures? Do we know who else he will involve in such a trecherous undertaking?"

He shakes his head. "It could be calamitous to have those things here for any length of time, and especially if they're being angered - they'll seek revenge."

shugyosha
2012-04-04, 08:01 PM
Eywels

He nods in agreement, "Yes the assassin's is a very important lead, but unless you know of an assassin we need to wait until the Gutted Trout opens."

"The Dwarf and 'gentle' Lady Victoria raised their hands to interrogate the demons," he answers. "Well lest hope if those fiends want revenge they look to Mason and company."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-05, 12:40 PM
Selena Trimaine

"Eywels seems to have the right of it, I will assist him in his investigations. It seems we should also find an assassin to look into our other lead, I know there was one at the meeting yesterday, but for obvious reasons I was not too keen on becoming bosom friends quite yet," she follows this with a grin, "If our business is concluded I would ask Eywels to stay and we can plan our next moves in more detail."
"Also, if any of you need to contact the others you may leave a message here, though I would make some effort to protect its contents, in case it falls into the wrong hands."

Gorgon_Heap
2012-04-05, 02:04 PM
M

"That'll be useful for the time being, but as we continue more eyes will be on us. I'd rather not make you and your ... uh, establishment a target. I'll see if I can find another location to meet. Or at least to leave messages."

He stands and walks to the door, but pauses. "I'm afraid that if we can't confirm each of our, um, dispositions - general health, say - after a week or so, I'll have to assume the worst.

Selena, you'll hear from me in a few days at most, I think. Good luck."

shugyosha
2012-04-05, 05:48 PM
Eywels

Eywels turns to Ser William who has been silent all this time. "Is there anything you'd like to add before we adjourn?"

Dienekes
2012-04-05, 10:31 PM
Sir Edrick read the reports as Derig handed them to him. "Huh," Edrick murmured, as his mind tried to piece together how it all worked. Is Alistair using the name for his own revenge or is he working as an extension of the Promethians?

Either way he needed to go out and conduct some research himself. Again donning his merchant's garb Eddrick headed to the Gutted Trout to find a few pieces of information on Shaftsley and his assassins.

Gather Information check on Shaftsley, specifically trying to figure out who took his place for the assassins, who Shaftsley had kidnapped prior to his death, and any major enemies of the man.
[roll0]

Admiral
2012-04-06, 10:47 AM
Sir Edrick read the reports as Derig handed them to him. "Huh," Edrick murmured, as his mind tried to piece together how it all worked. Is Alistair using the name for his own revenge or is he working as an extension of the Promethians?

Either way he needed to go out and conduct some research himself. Again donning his merchant's garb Eddrick headed to the Gutted Trout to find a few pieces of information on Shaftsley and his assassins.

Gather Information check on Shaftsley, specifically trying to figure out who took his place for the assassins, who Shaftsley had kidnapped prior to his death, and any major enemies of the man.
[roll0]

Darren approaches Eddrick as he is leaving the tavern.

"If you're headed to the Gutted Trout, I'd like to accompany you. I too have an interest in discovering what happened to Shaftsley. And from what I know of this part of town, we could each use an extra set of eyes."

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-06, 11:14 AM

[roll0]

Darren approaches Eddrick as he is leaving the tavern.

"If you're headed to the Gutted Trout, I'd like to accompany you. I too have an interest in discovering what happened to Shaftsley. And from what I know of this part of town, we could each use an extra set of eyes."

When the two reach the Gutted Trout, they find it hanging half over the dockside, the windows boarded up. The initial suggestion of being closed is dispelled though, from the raucous laughter and music coming from within. Stepping inside, you find many sailors and longshoremen drinking, fighting, arm-wrestling and throwing darts at the wall with no actual target in sight. A large portrait hangs askew on the wall, showing a man in his fifties with patchy hair and a stern expression, a long scar running down the right side of his face, his ear missing.

The wake of Nicholas Thomas Brian Shaftsley is underway.

As you go about asking the questions, no one seems to know the answers, most of the people being drunk off their asses.

shugyosha
2012-04-06, 11:22 AM
Eywels

I'm going to assume Ser Williams has left. If he wants to say anything I think we can back post if necessary. I just want to move along.

As they are left along Eywels flashes his dangerous smile, "So what would you like to talk about?"

Admiral
2012-04-06, 11:31 AM
Darren has been keeping a little distance while Eddrick asks questions, having been sure to walk in separately. It takes him only a few minutes of studying the crowd to notice the warning signs.

When Edrick next passes by, Darren bumps into him in the guise of a stumble. "Tread carefully," he whispers urgently, "these men are only pretending to be drunk. They're dangerous killers, and they're not happy about your questions."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-06, 11:35 AM
Selena

"There is another who was invited here today, though I do not know of her allegiance yet, only that she knew me through my disgiuse. I cannot yet guess her game, but she was invited to come an hour after the rest of you, so I am asking you Eywels, whether you would care to pass the time with me? I know you can't resist the opportunity to clash wits with two mysterious women."

"Perhaps you would care to impress me with your suggestions as to how we investigate this coin maker?"

Dienekes
2012-04-06, 12:09 PM
Edrick nodded his head agreeing for Darren to go with him

OOC: Heh, I came out of my home, was never in any tavern, but whatever it gets the team meeting.

Lucky for him too. This Darren character had good eyes in his head, people pretending to be drunk Edrick didn't even catch it. This is why Edrick rarely did the legwork when it came to his business. Edrick pushed Darren away "Watch where you're going," he slurred. Useful, Edrick thought to himself, I may have to hire him one of these days.

But the message was given and Edrick stopped his questions for now, and instead looked silently for any signs of someone giving orders to the crowd of assassins as he patiently took part in the wake.

Spot I believe this would be, and hopefully a low check.
[roll0]

shugyosha
2012-04-06, 12:48 PM
Eywels

Selena

"There is another who was invited here today, though I do not know of her allegiance yet, only that she knew me through my disgiuse. I cannot yet guess her game, but she was invited to come an hour after the rest of you, so I am asking you Eywels, whether you would care to pass the time with me? I know you can't resist the opportunity to clash wits with two mysterious women."

"Perhaps you would care to impress me with your suggestions as to how we investigate this coin maker?"

"Well once you spoke it was pretty clear who you were, plus you should really change that perfume if you want to go incognito."

"As for the jeweler, I say we pose as a couple who needs some babble. Ask him a few questions. If you can gleam the kind of information you got from our short meeting with Mason. I'm sure you can do the same with him. If that fails, I'll be casing the place. I'll find someone to get me in and locate his ledger."

"But my concern is the assassin guild. I want to go to the Trout today or tonight and find up someone who might know Shaftsley's business."

"So who is this mysterious woman? Was she one of the others from last night?"

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-06, 12:57 PM
Selena

"Wise words Eywels, then that is what we shall do. The woman was not at the meeting, but instead she was outside, and knew me without my having spoken."

"I suggest we wait here for this woman and see if she can help us in any way, then we go to the jewelers and tonight we can see what there is to see at the Trout. I dare say those types are more active in times of darkness anyway."

Admiral
2012-04-06, 12:59 PM
"Now that the knight's tried his luck," thinks Darren, "let's see what someone in the game can find out."

Darren gets the bartender's attention with a steady gaze. "A man, name of Taggart, told me there were jobs available here, for those with specific talents. Who can I talk to about that?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-06, 01:15 PM
Edrick nodded his head agreeing for Darren to go with him

OOC: Heh, I came out of my home, was never in any tavern, but whatever it gets the team meeting.

Lucky for him too. This Darren character had good eyes in his head, people pretending to be drunk Edrick didn't even catch it. This is why Edrick rarely did the legwork when it came to his business. Edrick pushed Darren away "Watch where you're going," he slurred. Useful, Edrick thought to himself, I may have to hire him one of these days.

But the message was given and Edrick stopped his questions for now, and instead looked silently for any signs of someone giving orders to the crowd of assassins as he patiently took part in the wake.

Spot I believe this would be, and hopefully a low check.
[roll0]

You don't see anything of that kind, but your keen eyes notice something weird. The door to the place hasn't opened since you came in, but the number of patrons has shifted several times over the last few minutes. Only be three or four, but still.

Selena

"Wise words Eywels, then that is what we shall do. The woman was not at the meeting, but instead she was outside, and knew me without my having spoken."

"I suggest we wait here for this woman and see if she can help us in any way, then we go to the jewelers and tonight we can see what there is to see at the Trout. I dare say those types are more active in times of darkness anyway."

The girl on the door enters the room.

"Miss Selena? There's um, a woman here to see you, and she's coming up, and I couldn't stop her . . . not that I tried"

The woman from the undercity street strides in, the door gliding open effortlessly, the message girl shifting subtlely out of her way. Her cloak doesn't drag on the ground so much as glide across it, and she keeps the ample hood of it up over her head.

"You wished to speak with me?"

She looks left and right.

"A very nice place you have here."

"Now that the knight's tried his luck," thinks Darren, "let's see what someone in the game can find out."

Darren gets the bartender's attention with a steady gaze. "A man, name of Taggart, told me there were jobs available here, for those with specific talents. Who can I talk to about that?"

The bartender is busy mashing up trout with a mallet and dumping the mash into a bucket. When the bucket is filled, he hauls it back to the kitchen. You see a few of the patrons are eating what appear to be fried trout mash, bones, scales and all. He turns to you after this is done.

"This isn't your typical tavern boy. We don't have no postings for work for hire. You need a job, best look somewhere else, unless you're here about the old man's trash collecting job?"

Admiral
2012-04-06, 01:19 PM
"This isn't your typical tavern boy. We don't have no postings for work for hire. You need a job, best look somewhere else, unless you're here about the old man's trash collecting job?"

Sense Motive to see if the "trash collecting" job is a euphemism for assassination, or if he's just trying to get rid of me: [roll0]

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-06, 01:23 PM
Sense Motive to see if the "trash collecting" job is a euphemism for assassination, or if he's just trying to get rid of me: [roll0]

It is. Not that he really needs to, this being a terrible place to be if you're not connected, but that is a euphemism for the assassin job.

Admiral
2012-04-06, 01:26 PM
"That's just the job I'm thinking of," says Darren, fixing him with a steely glare. "Look me in the eyes and tell me I don't deserve an interview for it."

Dienekes
2012-04-06, 02:12 PM
Edrick makes his way to a group of sailor's arm wrestling, and in the spirit of the wake tries to take them up on the challenge.

Strength check I think that would be: [roll0]

While he took part in the festivities however, he kept on the lookout for where these cutthroats were disappearing to.

another spot [roll1]

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-06, 02:13 PM
"That's just the job I'm thinking of," says Darren, fixing him with a steely glare. "Look me in the eyes and tell me I don't deserve an interview for it."

"Fine. Leave your details and you'll be contacted with the garbage you need to pick up."

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-06, 02:19 PM
Edrick makes his way to a group of sailor's arm wrestling, and in the spirit of the wake tries to take them up on the challenge.

Strength check I think that would be: [roll0]

While he took part in the festivities however, he kept on the lookout for where these cutthroats were disappearing to.

another spot [roll1]

You win the first round and are challenged to a second

shugyosha
2012-04-06, 02:21 PM
Eywels

The girl on the door enters the room.

"Miss Selena? There's um, a woman here to see you, and she's coming up, and I couldn't stop her . . . not that I tried"

The woman from the undercity street strides in, the door gliding open effortlessly, the message girl shifting subtlely out of her way. Her cloak doesn't drag on the ground so much as glide across it, and she keeps the ample hood of it up over her head.

"You wished to speak with me?"

She looks left and right.

"A very nice place you have here."

Eywels stand and gives the woman a generous bow, "My name is Eywels. Welcome Miss... ?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-06, 02:25 PM
Eywels

Eywels stand and gives the woman a generous bow, "My name is Eywels. Welcome Miss... ?"

"Amalei, as you like." Her accent is elven, heavy and oddly engaging

Dienekes
2012-04-06, 02:30 PM
Edrick chuckles to himself as he beats the first. "Who's next?" He asks with mock bravado. Mentally cursing himself that he couldn't find we're they're going, he'd have to come back later.

Second arm wrestle
[roll0]

Jeez, you just know that since I'm rolling so well in this, I'm going to straight up fumble every actually important check

Admiral
2012-04-06, 02:31 PM
Darren nods, and writes down the name of a tavern he had checked into the night before, as well as the false name he'd checked in under.

He then watches the room for a few minutes, surreptitiously keeping an eye on his ally, who looks to be playing the strongman (and doing so quite well).

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-06, 04:38 PM
Selena Trimaine

Selena tried to retain her composure as the woman barged in, though barged didn't seem to be the right word, not with such grace.

Ah, she came so quickly, probably to stop me preparing any spells for, it seems this woman knows a great deal about me.

"Why yes, Lady Amalei, as you know I am Selena Trimaine, and after our rather intriguing encounter yesterday, I would like to learn a little more of you. I wonder if you happen to know this 'Lucius Mason' to whom we have recently had the 'pleasure' of meeting?"

She hoped she remained composed throughout, but worried that she was rambling, but once she was done she calmed herself and began to work her magic, sending out her mind to see what thoughts the woman was hiding.

Silent Detect Thoughts. Level 3- DC 16 will.
Conceal spell casting (Sleight of hand: [roll0] vs spot).-Also since she's still seated, she might be able to use the table to conceal her hand gestures as well [Chiv's discretion obviously].

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-06, 10:01 PM
Edrick chuckles to himself as he beats the first. "Who's next?" He asks with mock bravado. Mentally cursing himself that he couldn't find we're they're going, he'd have to come back later.

Second arm wrestle
[roll0]

Jeez, you just know that since I'm rolling so well in this, I'm going to straight up fumble every actually important check

The second arm wrestle is against the same guy, you beat him with more of a struggle this time.

"Looks like we have a winner."

A burly man hoists you arm into the air.

"What say he buys you a drink?" the man points to your competitor

Darren nods, and writes down the name of a tavern he had checked into the night before, as well as the false name he'd checked in under.

He then watches the room for a few minutes, surreptitiously keeping an eye on his ally, who looks to be playing the strongman (and doing so quite well).

The bartender takes the information and nods, going back to his malleting.

Selena Trimaine

Selena tried to retain her composure as the woman barged in, though barged didn't seem to be the right word, not with such grace.

Ah, she came so quickly, probably to stop me preparing any spells for, it seems this woman knows a great deal about me.

"Why yes, Lady Amalei, as you know I am Selena Trimaine, and after our rather intriguing encounter yesterday, I would like to learn a little more of you. I wonder if you happen to know this 'Lucius Mason' to whom we have recently had the 'pleasure' of meeting?"

She hoped she remained composed throughout, but worried that she was rambling, but once she was done she calmed herself and began to work her magic, sending out her mind to see what thoughts the woman was hiding.

Silent Detect Thoughts. Level 3- DC 16 will.
Conceal spell casting (Sleight of hand: [roll0] vs spot).-Also since she's still seated, she might be able to use the table to conceal her hand gestures as well [Chiv's discretion obviously].

Your casting goes unnoticed as far as you can tell.

She can think, and has an intelligence of 16. Her thoughts are shielded though.

"Lucius Mason . . . Mason . . . Mason. I don't know a Lucius Mason. I know a Phineas Mason, and a Lucius Telford, and an Alex Mason."

She brushes off the girl as she approaches to take her cloak with a single slight motion of her hand. The girl withdraws, shrinking slightly from Amelai.

shugyosha
2012-04-06, 10:33 PM
Eywels

The roguism man remains standing as the lady has not sat yet. He asks "Well who are Phineas Mason, and a Lucius Telford, and an Alex Mason? How old are they and what do they look like?"

Will any of her descriptions match Lucius Mason?

Dienekes
2012-04-06, 11:02 PM
"Hah!" Edrick exclaimed as he pushed the man's hand down. His arm was starting to grow sore, a mild burning ache in his muscles at the exertion. Edrick stood up in his victory and winced as a large man nearly took his arm out of it's socket to raise it in celebration, and offered a drink from the defeated.

Poison? Possible, he had been asking questions, though more likely they would have just killed him outright and thrown his body off the docks. Though if they want me dead refusing the drink would mean they just attack. No, accepting is the best course of action.

Edrick gave a loud burst of a laugh, "Yes, a drink!" he shouted.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-07, 09:55 AM
Eywels

The roguism man remains standing as the lady has not sat yet. He asks "Well who are Phineas Mason, and a Lucius Telford, and an Alex Mason? How old are they and what do they look like?"

Will any of her descriptions match Lucius Mason?

She smirks under the cloak.

"A butcher, a baker and a chandler. Young, middle-aged and old. Short, tall, fat."

She approaches Selena.

"What was it we were to discuss?"

"Hah!" Edrick exclaimed as he pushed the man's hand down. His arm was starting to grow sore, a mild burning ache in his muscles at the exertion. Edrick stood up in his victory and winced as a large man nearly took his arm out of it's socket to raise it in celebration, and offered a drink from the defeated.

Poison? Possible, he had been asking questions, though more likely they would have just killed him outright and thrown his body off the docks. Though if they want me dead refusing the drink would mean they just attack. No, accepting is the best course of action.

Edrick gave a loud burst of a laugh, "Yes, a drink!" he shouted.

Drinks are poured, and though they burn going down, they don't seem to be poisoned. Your opponent introduces himself.

"I'm Hector, I work on the docks. You?"

Dienekes
2012-04-07, 11:57 AM
Drinks are poured, and though they burn going down, they don't seem to be poisoned. Your opponent introduces himself.

"I'm Hector, I work on the docks. You?"

Edrick guzzled down the drink. "Names Edd, just came to pay some respects. Though if you know an in for a dock position it'd help me out."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-07, 02:04 PM
Selena

"When you approached me yesterday, most enigmatically I must say, I believed it would be you who wished to discuss something, I simply hastened our meeting. I was summoned to a meeting yesterday by this 'Mason' character, and you knew me, and further, you knew that only I could read the message you sent me. It seems it is you who wish to discuss something with me."

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-07, 08:34 PM
Selena

"When you approached me yesterday, most enigmatically I must say, I believed it would be you who wished to discuss something, I simply hastened our meeting. I was summoned to a meeting yesterday by this 'Mason' character, and you knew me, and further, you knew that only I could read the message you sent me. It seems it is you who wish to discuss something with me."

"You have me at a disadvantage, as I do not know you from anyone and you invited me. What would lead you to believe I know you?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-07, 09:28 PM
Edrick guzzled down the drink. "Names Edd, just came to pay some respects. Though if you know an in for a dock position it'd help me out."

"I might be able to help out with that, come see me at the angler's wharf tomorrow."

Dienekes
2012-04-07, 10:44 PM
"I might be able to help out with that, come see me at the angler's wharf tomorrow."

"Much obliged Hector," Edrick said with a grin and a clap on the back.

He gave one last quick look around the tavern for the secret entrance in the off chance he gets lucky.
Spot reroll [roll0]
Assuming nothing else happens, Edrick will wait patiently for the wake to die down before slipping out.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-08, 06:47 AM
Selena Trimaine

"Ah...." Selena replied, desperately racking her brains. What was this woman trying to do? It didn't make sense to pretend ignorance when Selena had already admitted she knew the message was her. Why leave the message if she didn't want to meet me? It said Trimaine hardly a common name, and even rarer to be able to recognise the message. Unless it was accidental, but then, I've given away that I could read it.... Thoroughly stumped Selena decided to play the same game, composing her face and steeling herself against the embarrassment that was to come.

"Oh, it must have been my mistake then. I am sorry. I believed it was you, but in fact, now I see you better in the light, it wasn't you at all. How foolish of me." Selena laughed girlishly to add to the effect.

Bluff: [roll0]

shugyosha
2012-04-08, 09:18 AM
Eywels

"You have me at a disadvantage, as I do not know you from anyone and you invited me. What would lead you to believe I know you?"

Everything was quite confusing to him. He needed a point of reference. "How did you get your invitation?" he asks politely.

sense motive
[roll0]

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-08, 02:54 PM
Eywels

Everything was quite confusing to him. He needed a point of reference. "How did you get your invitation?" he asks politely.

sense motive
[roll0]

"I was invited by your dear friend here"

She indicates Selena.

"Shortly after losing a rose, very expensive one from Trimaine's florist."

Admiral
2012-04-08, 05:43 PM
Darren waits for Edrick to make eye contact, then gestures very subtly towards the door. He then pays his tab, gets up and walks out of the bar, and waits for Edrick about a block down the street.

Dienekes
2012-04-08, 06:30 PM
As the wake dies down Edrick leaves, to meet up with Darren.

"You learn anything useful?" He mutters softly as he kept walking.

Admiral
2012-04-08, 06:43 PM
Darren follows shortly behind Edrick, close enough to be heard.

"I learned there's a secret door in the floor near the bar, on the western side of the Gutted Trout. Headquarters of the guild, I'm sure."

Dienekes
2012-04-08, 10:42 PM
Edrick nods. "Good, I was afraid we'd have to come back to find it." Edrick kept walking silently for several minutes before he spoke again. "Here's my thinking, when the tavern closes down tonight we get one of the mages and a few of the more lithe of our compatriots to go check it out. You, and that Assana, maybe the dwarf Dwalin should do. Outside, I along with one or two bruisers will stand in reserve. You go looking for information. The mage detects the grounds for magic alarms and whatnot, you and Dwalin would go to work, and if detected, try to make a lot of noise. The reserves will move in to fight off whatever you see down there. With luck we can get Shaftley's old records, or information who is running the gang now, or any leads tying them with this false coin and demon business."

Galt_Devil
2012-04-08, 11:01 PM
((OOC: SOrry, I was gone for a few days. I've half-read up. Shugyosha, William would have given you the name of the inn in which he is staying.))

After which, for Mr. DM, he would have went to the small building that the Sylvannis family keeps in Vern, to meet with the highest ranking local representative in the city to ask about Twilight (I think, or maybe it was Victoria) and who she was betrothed to. We can start that dealy as they meet, mayhap?

Admiral
2012-04-08, 11:20 PM
Darren nods. "My thoughts are similar. I'll go in alongside the dwarf, and you can pick your strongmen. I won't work with the halfling, he's a fool and will get us killed. Assana, and the one who calls herself M- that is our team."

Admiral
2012-04-08, 11:24 PM
"We shall also bring the dark elf. We'll obtain Shaftsley's body, and have Pavral use his divine powers to learn what we can of his murder. Besides, a cleric's power to heal the dying is never unwelcome."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-09, 05:19 AM
Selena.

Well if what the woman said was true, then this was rather embarrassing, yet the fact she could shield her mind made Selena think there was more to it than that. But if she wanted to play this game, then so be it.

"Well then Amalei, I apologise for my mistake. If you would like, you may stay for tea, me and my fiancee here," she indicates Eywels, "were just going to order up a cup. It's a pity you don't know Mason, I was hoping he would do the arrangements for our wedding you see."

Knowledge (Local) - to see if there are any florists named Trimaine (or other people with that name). [roll1]

shugyosha
2012-04-09, 09:20 AM
Eywels

"I was invited by your dear friend here"

She indicates Selena.

"Shortly after losing a rose, very expensive one from Trimaine's florist."

She didn't exactly answer his question which was only a bit irritating. "I meant did you get a letter, did you talk to Selena, did a bird sing it to you?"

Dienekes
2012-04-09, 10:04 AM
Darren nods. "My thoughts are similar. I'll go in alongside the dwarf, and you can pick your strongmen. I won't work with the halfling, he's a fool and will get us killed. Assana, and the one who calls herself M- that is our team."

"We shall also bring the dark elf. We'll obtain Shaftsley's body, and have Pavral use his divine powers to learn what we can of his murder. Besides, a cleric's power to heal the dying is never unwelcome."

"Ugh, I hate working with fanatics," Edrick muttered to himself. "Agreed on the halfling though. Pavral should be held in the reserve team. I wouldn't trust him to act with stealth. I'm surprised by M though, I don't see the old woman particularly useful in stealth or a fight, unless you know something about her that I do not."

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-09, 10:55 AM
((OOC: SOrry, I was gone for a few days. I've half-read up. Shugyosha, William would have given you the name of the inn in which he is staying.))

After which, for Mr. DM, he would have went to the small building that the Sylvannis family keeps in Vern, to meet with the highest ranking local representative in the city to ask about Twilight (I think, or maybe it was Victoria) and who she was betrothed to. We can start that dealy as they meet, mayhap?

William is led into a well appointed office after calling in favours and greasing palms. A glass of fine white wine sits on a table, and a chair is there too. Across the office is a desk with much nicer chair, and a similar glass of wine. Slipping from this wine is a portly gentleman with muttonchops, Jasper Crom.

"Ah, milord, how are you today? I received your request for information, and found it to be suitable and of reason. Lady Victoria's betrothal was to a young man by the name of D'Arbor, Alistar being his given name."

Selena.

Well if what the woman said was true, then this was rather embarrassing, yet the fact she could shield her mind made Selena think there was more to it than that. But if she wanted to play this game, then so be it.

"Well then Amalei, I apologise for my mistake. If you would like, you may stay for tea, me and my fiancee here," she indicates Eywels, "were just going to order up a cup. It's a pity you don't know Mason, I was hoping he would do the arrangements for our wedding you see."

Knowledge (Local) - to see if there are any florists named Trimaine (or other people with that name). [roll1]

There are indeed, though the florist isn't a Trimaine. The family florist was sanctioned to carry the name, and has since closed and opened shop somewhere else, though the honour wasn't revoked due to it being a blood debt.

Eywels

She didn't exactly answer his question which was only a bit irritating. "I meant did you get a letter, did you talk to Selena, did a bird sing it to you?"

She turns to you, and you almost could swear you hear a chuckle

"You're a curious little sort aren't you? I can see why the two of you would be getting engaged. I shall have to have my man deliver appropriate gifts. Tea would be quite delightful thank you. Perhaps the fiancee could fetch it while the ladies talk."

shugyosha
2012-04-09, 11:04 AM
Eywels

He didn't baulk or bat an eyelash and the insinuation of being engaged. He just left to 'get tea'. If she felt more comfortable talking with Selena alone, then that was what he would do. He knew Selena would tell him what she knew... or maybe not.

He closed the door behind him and looked for any of the girls to get some tea.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-09, 11:19 AM
Eywels

He didn't baulk or bat an eyelash and the insinuation of being engaged. He just left to 'get tea'. If she felt more comfortable talking with Selena alone, then that was what he would do. He knew Selena would tell him what she knew... or maybe not.

He closed the door behind him and looked for any of the girls to get some tea.

He finds some girls and they set to making tea in the kitchen.

"Mister Eywels? Would you like any biscuits or sandwiches?"

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-09, 11:25 AM
Selena

"He is such charming man don't you think?" Selena continued, feigning a wistful manner. "Well my Lady Amalei, can I help you? I must admit I am not often called a Lady."

Admiral
2012-04-09, 11:45 AM
"Ugh, I hate working with fanatics," Edrick muttered to himself. "Agreed on the halfling though. Pavral should be held in the reserve team. I wouldn't trust him to act with stealth. I'm surprised by M though, I don't see the old woman particularly useful in stealth or a fight, unless you know something about her that I do not."

"I know what you know, and that is more than enough. I know she was invited to join our crew, but was not there for her political influence (or she would have flaunted it when given the chance). This tells me she has some talent or power. I know she has not shown it, or even given us her true name, which tells me she has cunning and discretion. She has neither the build of a warrior nor the air of a thief, which leaves me to hypothesize she has power in magic. She'll be of use to us."

"I wish we had time to construct a plan, but by tomorrow Shaftsley's body might be gone forever. (We may thank the rare sentimentality of the assassins that his body has remained intact this long, considering the usual instinct of those men towards corpses). We should make our move tonight."

What time is it? And I'm guessing that Shaftsley's body was on display at the wake- is that accurate?

Dienekes
2012-04-09, 01:47 PM
Edrick nodded as he listened to the assassin. "That's a jump in logic there, Darrin, but you might be right, I'll bring the crone along. You've proven yourself quite a deal more observant than I am, I suggest you stay behind and make sure they don't go dispose the body \while I gather the troops. I'll meet up with you back here once I've found everyone."

Assuming there's no objections, Edrick returns to his home, saddles his horse and rides for the home of Alistair D’Arbor. Despite himself he was beginning to like this Darren figure, intelligent, observant and professional. If the situation with Mason ended well Edrick would have to approach the man with a career opportunity.

Dienekes
2012-04-09, 01:52 PM
OOC: Sorry forgot to say this.

Spot check to make sure I'm not followed.
[roll0]

Admiral
2012-04-09, 02:10 PM
"I'll never get back into the bar without arising suspicion- too many sharp and suspicious eyes for any disguise to fool. And besides, if they're looking to dispose of the body there's nothing I'll be able to do to stop them. But I'll be outside down the street, in the guise of a homeless drunk, and will reconnoiter the outside for lookouts and security measures.

He steps into a shadowed alleyway and creates a disguise, making himself look like a homeless drunk. He adds a few scars for effect. He then takes a circuitous route back to the Gutted Trout, and stops two blocks away. He examines the street for any guards, lookouts, or assassins.

Spot check: [roll0]

Some DMs prefer to make Disguise checks in secret, or only make them when they're supposed to work, so that the player doesn't know if it was a successful disguise until it has had its effect. If so, know that Darren's Disguise check is +8.

Galt_Devil
2012-04-09, 02:12 PM
Putting on his best face, his true mannerisms shining through, William put on a broad smile, letting the scent of the lavender perfume he wore that day waft through the air as he delicately picked up the wine glass, sloshing the liquid about briefly before taking a small sip, savoring it for a moment.
"I thank you for this, Mr. Cromm. It's a marvelous vintage. Now, do tell, what do we know of Alistar, and the D'Arbor family as a whole?"

Gorgon_Heap
2012-04-09, 02:22 PM
M

Immediately following my meeting with Selena and Eywels, I will spend the next four days in investigations. I likely have other responsibilities, but I don't know what those are just now.

I will do general research on my own, at the library if necessary. I will look into a neutral/safe meeting place. And I will continue to dig around about "Mason" - comings/goings, family, properties, acquaintances, etc.

Skills
Researching items - cinnamon, angel down (and elixer), seven saphires of instant summons ... and what they may have to do with each other.

Kno (arcana): [roll0] plus library bonus?

Looking for a good meeting place, centrally-located and would not attract a lot of attention. Something like a high-traffic hotel but pay off the manager (or magic him) to provide some unnatended backroom without taking any names. Not sure what roll you'd like for this...

Kno (local)?: [roll1]

Lastly, "Mason":

Additional Kno (nobility) [roll2]
GI: [roll3]

Whenever necessary, but especially during this last, I will spend at least two days making liberal use of charm person, alter self, detect thoughts and clairaudience/etc. Not sure how much more I will glean from all that.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-15, 04:26 PM
Selena

"He is such charming man don't you think?" Selena continued, feigning a wistful manner. "Well my Lady Amalei, can I help you? I must admit I am not often called a Lady."

"I'd suppose you can then. I've need of some of your kind of people, and this will do as well as any. I've a party that is being thrown in a couple days, and entertainment is in order. Those people at the Dryad aren't of much assistance."

"I know what you know, and that is more than enough. I know she was invited to join our crew, but was not there for her political influence (or she would have flaunted it when given the chance). This tells me she has some talent or power. I know she has not shown it, or even given us her true name, which tells me she has cunning and discretion. She has neither the build of a warrior nor the air of a thief, which leaves me to hypothesize she has power in magic. She'll be of use to us."

"I wish we had time to construct a plan, but by tomorrow Shaftsley's body might be gone forever. (We may thank the rare sentimentality of the assassins that his body has remained intact this long, considering the usual instinct of those men towards corpses). We should make our move tonight."

What time is it? And I'm guessing that Shaftsley's body was on display at the wake- is that accurate?

Ten in the morning. Yes it was.

OOC: Sorry forgot to say this.

Spot check to make sure I'm not followed.
[roll0]

You don't see anyone following you.

"I'll never get back into the bar without arising suspicion- too many sharp and suspicious eyes for any disguise to fool. And besides, if they're looking to dispose of the body there's nothing I'll be able to do to stop them. But I'll be outside down the street, in the guise of a homeless drunk, and will reconnoiter the outside for lookouts and security measures.

He steps into a shadowed alleyway and creates a disguise, making himself look like a homeless drunk. He adds a few scars for effect. He then takes a circuitous route back to the Gutted Trout, and stops two blocks away. He examines the street for any guards, lookouts, or assassins.

Spot check: [roll0]

Some DMs prefer to make Disguise checks in secret, or only make them when they're supposed to work, so that the player doesn't know if it was a successful disguise until it has had its effect. If so, know that Darren's Disguise check is +8.

You see two people shifting through the shadows, trying to catch Edrick unaware. They have shortswords

Putting on his best face, his true mannerisms shining through, William put on a broad smile, letting the scent of the lavender perfume he wore that day waft through the air as he delicately picked up the wine glass, sloshing the liquid about briefly before taking a small sip, savoring it for a moment.
"I thank you for this, Mr. Cromm. It's a marvelous vintage. Now, do tell, what do we know of Alistar, and the D'Arbor family as a whole?"

"Well, he's a dangerous sort, practiced in magic and transformation. One of those 'ranger' folk. Less like a ranger, more like a druid, you ask me."

A cat mews at his feet.

"For example, he could be this CAT!"

The cat looks up with a perplexed look at the shouting.

"Or perhaps not."

"Either way, he has sunk a large portion of his money into hiring local toughs. I couldn't tell you why, but he has. And frequenting the Dryad, a house of dancers and the like for some reason."

M

Immediately following my meeting with Selena and Eywels, I will spend the next four days in investigations. I likely have other responsibilities, but I don't know what those are just now.

I will do general research on my own, at the library if necessary. I will look into a neutral/safe meeting place. And I will continue to dig around about "Mason" - comings/goings, family, properties, acquaintances, etc.

Skills
Researching items - cinnamon, angel down (and elixer), seven saphires of instant summons ... and what they may have to do with each other.

Kno (arcana): [roll0] plus library bonus?

Looking for a good meeting place, centrally-located and would not attract a lot of attention. Something like a high-traffic hotel but pay off the manager (or magic him) to provide some unnatended backroom without taking any names. Not sure what roll you'd like for this...

Kno (local)?: [roll1]

Lastly, "Mason":

Additional Kno (nobility) [roll2]
GI: [roll3]

Whenever necessary, but especially during this last, I will spend at least two days making liberal use of charm person, alter self, detect thoughts and clairaudience/etc. Not sure how much more I will glean from all that.

Arcana: they're supplies that people stock magic stores with. Angels, chaotic mostly, the sappires can be used to summon the keyed item to the breaker of that gem.

Local: The Dancing Mermaid is known to take extra money, but you need to pay well and more importantly (the pay can actually slide) convince the owner you're a good person. Other than that, the Thirsty "Private" Dog is costly, with good over-priced food and insulated rooms. Privacy is their middle name.

Nobility: Mason is used as pseudonym by members of the Prometheans. You know the names of several people who've used the name and will be PMed when one comes up

GI: This specific Mason is has a missing daughter, and has hired "the lads" several times to investigate (the lads just being a term for toughs, not a group)

Galt_Devil
2012-04-15, 04:28 PM
I see myself quoted, but not a response to quoted material. <_<

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-15, 04:37 PM
I see myself quoted, but not a response to quoted material. <_<

And now you are >_>

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-15, 04:59 PM
Selena

Selena nods at this. "Then of course I can help you, do you have a list of the 'particulars'?"

Selena thought this an odd direction for the conversation to be heading, but the woman had already shown herself remarkably good at wrong footing her, so she tried to go with it.

Admiral
2012-04-16, 12:26 AM
You see two people shifting through the shadows, trying to catch Edrick unaware. They have shortswords

My plan was to return to the bar, at which point I had left Edrick some number of blocks away. At what point do I see these shifty people? How far am I from them, how far am they from Edrick, and how far are we from the Gutted Trout?

shugyosha
2012-04-16, 09:54 AM
Eywels

He finds some girls and they set to making tea in the kitchen.

"Mister Eywels? Would you like any biscuits or sandwiches?"

"Oh, are you the sweetest things," he says to the girls. "Some sandwiches would do nicely."

OOC: Just biding my time until Selena's conversation has progressed some.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-18, 12:27 PM
Selena

Selena nods at this. "Then of course I can help you, do you have a list of the 'particulars'?"

Selena thought this an odd direction for the conversation to be heading, but the woman had already shown herself remarkably good at wrong footing her, so she tried to go with it.

She writes out a list containing requests for escorts and entertainment, totalling 100 gold or more in income for the Gilded Girl.

My plan was to return to the bar, at which point I had left Edrick some number of blocks away. At what point do I see these shifty people? How far am I from them, how far am they from Edrick, and how far are we from the Gutted Trout?

You see them pass you, following Edrick as he walks away. You're three blocks from the Trout.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-18, 12:57 PM
Selena Trimaine

"This, yes, this could be accommodated for." Selena replied. "I expect my fiancée will be returning and we can have some refreshments. I apologise again for the misunderstandings."

"Oh and must add that for large events it's my policy to sk for half up front, as insurance of course."

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-18, 01:09 PM
Selena Trimaine

"This, yes, this could be accommodated for." Selena replied. "I expect my fiancée will be returning and we can have some refreshments. I apologise again for the misunderstandings."

"Oh and must add that for large events it's my policy to sk for half up front, as insurance of course."

"Of course."

She hands you six platinum coins.

"I hope all will be in order, I do so hate to have things go awry."

Admiral
2012-04-18, 01:53 PM
You see them pass you, following Edrick as he walks away. You're three blocks from the Trout.

"I wonder if I can still get a job with the guild once they're dead," thinks Darren idly, while the rest of his mind swiftly and sharply calculates a plan. "Well, perhaps they'll free up a spot"

Darren keeps walking without showing any sign of noticing them. He then turns around once they've passed and waits for them to get within 30 feet of Edrick before he acts. He'll close the distance if necessary to keep them within 80 feet of himself. Once they are within 60 feet of Edrick, he casts true strike on himself, then waits for them to get within 30.

If that happens, he'll fire a light crossbow bolt at one of them, and hiss "Strongman! Behind you!" to warn Edrick.

If necessary:
Hide check: [roll0]
Move Silently check: [roll1]

It's unfortunate they're almost certainly assassins or at least rogues, so no death or sneak attack...

Admiral
2012-04-18, 01:55 PM
Looks like the forum didn't recognize my rolls first time:

Admiral
2012-04-18, 01:56 PM
Maybe this one will work:

shugyosha
2012-04-18, 02:39 PM
Eywels

The dashing Eywels returns with a tray of tea and sandwiches. "Ladies, refreshments are served," he announces and places on the table between the women.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-18, 02:43 PM
Selena

Selena nods and smiles at Eywels when he returns, ushering him to a seat next to her, and after pouring a drink for her guest, says: "You may count on our services, my Lady, we like our clients to feel they are getting the best quality service."

She continues after a pause: "So what is it that brings my Lady to the city"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-19, 11:43 PM
"I wonder if I can still get a job with the guild once they're dead," thinks Darren idly, while the rest of his mind swiftly and sharply calculates a plan. "Well, perhaps they'll free up a spot"

Darren keeps walking without showing any sign of noticing them. He then turns around once they've passed and waits for them to get within 30 feet of Edrick before he acts. He'll close the distance if necessary to keep them within 80 feet of himself. Once they are within 60 feet of Edrick, he casts true strike on himself, then waits for them to get within 30.

If that happens, he'll fire a light crossbow bolt at one of them, and hiss "Strongman! Behind you!" to warn Edrick.

If necessary:

It's unfortunate they're almost certainly assassins or at least rogues, so no death or sneak attack...

The man turns and dodges the bolt, but cannot see where it came from.

Selena

Selena nods and smiles at Eywels when he returns, ushering him to a seat next to her, and after pouring a drink for her guest, says: "You may count on our services, my Lady, we like our clients to feel they are getting the best quality service."

She continues after a pause: "So what is it that brings my Lady to the city"

"I have parties to attend and contacts to make of course."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-20, 05:29 AM
"I have parties to attend and contacts to make of course."

"As do we all, yes, well you can trust me to be discrete, here we pride ourselves on that quality. And of course, should you be impressed with our services then we always welcome trustworthy clients of repute like yourself, my Lady."

"However, I'm araid I must rush our meeting, we have been busy of late preparing for the wedding," here Selena gazes towards Eywels, almost simpering, "And today I must go to the seamstress for my fitting. I hope you will not think us rude."

Bluff:[roll0]

Dienekes
2012-04-20, 07:39 AM
OOC: I'm assuming that Edrick sees what's happening now. If he doesn't, then well he keeps walking and wonders why the gods are yelling at him.

Edrick grabs his knife with both hands as he turns to meet his attackers. Not exactly the weapon he would have preferred in this situation, but you make do with what you have.

Seeing the closest enemy Edrick charges at him, leaps into the air and strikes.

Initiative: [roll0]
Jump check (need 10): [roll1]
Attack (charge and power attack for 3): [roll2]
Damage (jump check successful): [roll3]
Damage (jump failure): [roll4]

Stats: since I'm not wearing armor AC/Touch/Flat-footed is 12
Health: 49
Fort: 8
Ref:6
Will:2

shugyosha
2012-04-20, 09:53 AM
Eywels

"Honey, remember we have the jeweler we have to see," Eywels reminds her.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-20, 10:27 AM
"As do we all, yes, well you can trust me to be discrete, here we pride ourselves on that quality. And of course, should you be impressed with our services then we always welcome trustworthy clients of repute like yourself, my Lady."

"However, I'm araid I must rush our meeting, we have been busy of late preparing for the wedding," here Selena gazes towards Eywels, almost simpering, "And today I must go to the seamstress for my fitting. I hope you will not think us rude."

Bluff:[roll0]

"Of course, you must keep to your schedule. I'm glad to know you care so intimately about details. I shall take my leave."

She is escorted out by the girl from before.

OOC: I'm assuming that Edrick sees what's happening now. If he doesn't, then well he keeps walking and wonders why the gods are yelling at him.

Edrick grabs his knife with both hands as he turns to meet his attackers. Not exactly the weapon he would have preferred in this situation, but you make do with what you have.

Seeing the closest enemy Edrick charges at him, leaps into the air and strikes.

Initiative: [roll0]
Jump check (need 10): [roll1]
Attack (charge and power attack for 3): [roll2]
Damage (jump check successful): [roll3]
Damage (jump failure): [roll4]

Stats: since I'm not wearing armor AC/Touch/Flat-footed is 12
Health: 49
Fort: 8
Ref:6
Will:2

The knife slices cleanly into the man's collarbone and bursts several arteries. He falls to the ground screaming in agony for a moment, and passes out. The other man smoothly draws two daggers and tries to weave and bob to slip them into your ribs. You parry one but the other digs in, and he twists the knife as he pulls it out, (7 damage)

shugyosha
2012-04-20, 10:29 AM
Eywels

Once the lady was gone he asks, "So what was that about?"

Dienekes
2012-04-20, 11:04 AM
The knife slices cleanly into the man's collarbone and bursts several arteries. He falls to the ground screaming in agony for a moment, and passes out. The other man smoothly draws two daggers and tries to weave and bob to slip them into your ribs. You parry one but the other digs in, and he twists the knife as he pulls it out, (7 damage)

With only one left, Edrick brandishes his knife to aim for a non-fatal blow.
non-fatal attack (-4 penalty), using a standard action to use Emerald Razor maneuver: Makes the next attack a touch attack
Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-20, 11:08 AM
Selena

"I really have no idea." Selena replies honestly. "I thought we'd gotten ourselves into a game with clever players. But I have no idea if she was telling the truth or not. She was clever though, and hid her thoughts."

"I apologise if you thought that was presumptuous of me, but I didn't really know what to do. At least now we have a way to find a little more out about that woman." Selena giggled to herself a bit then, thinking that maybe she hadn't out grown her love of games.

"So my dear fiancee," She continued in a mock pompous voice, "Shall we go and purchase a ring." And with that she holds out her arm and stands up, waiting to be escorted from the room.

If there are any requests on the list that require preplanning she will hand it to one of the girls to sort out.

Dienekes
2012-04-20, 11:12 AM
OOC: Sorry further thing.

If the assassin attacks me on it's turn I'm going to use Wall of Blades, which negates their melee attack if my melee attack roll is higher.
My melee attack roll:[roll0]

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-21, 12:55 AM
With only one left, Edrick brandishes his knife to aim for a non-fatal blow.
non-fatal attack (-4 penalty), using a standard action to use Emerald Razor maneuver: Makes the next attack a touch attack
Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]

The swing scrapes his radial nerve, causing him to wince at the pain and loose some grip on his blade, but he recovers and swings, your instincts saving you as your dagger parries his. You notice his movement, the first dagger having been a feint to draw your attention, but follow his arm up to drive your elbow into his damaged radial, ruining his deception.

Admiral
2012-04-21, 01:07 AM
Darren reloads his crossbow and aims it again at the assailant's back. No reason at all to try to keep him alive; any answers they need they can get from his corpse.

Attack roll: [roll0]
If hits, damage roll: [roll1]

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-21, 01:11 AM
Darren reloads his crossbow and aims it again at the assailant's back. No reason at all to try to keep him alive; any answers they need they can get from his corpse.

Attack roll: [roll0]
If hits, damage roll: [roll1]

The assailant ducks the bolt again, weaving around Ser and to the other side to avoid it.

Admiral
2012-04-21, 01:24 AM
Darren curses silently at the assassin's ability to dodge his every attack. He can't help but be impressed. Still, Edrick did take down the first one almost immediately. if this is the best the guild has to send after them...

"Time to finish this," he thinks, and swiftly closes the distance. He stops 20 feet away from the fight and waits for his opening.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-21, 07:55 AM
Assuming Shugoshya is away, then Selena will continue this mission (with or without him as NPC help)

Selena Trimaine

Selena rises and leaves, and goes towards Ultrien (or wherever we know to look first). She'll cast Disguise Self and change her hair to blonde andchange her face slightly (different eye colour, slightly smaller nose etc).

shugyosha
2012-04-21, 08:58 AM
Not gone yet

Eywels

Seeing the 'new' Selena, he smiles and says slyly, "Its like a new girl every night with you."

As they go along he asks, "So is there anything you need me to do, for you to gather information your way?"

Dienekes
2012-04-21, 09:21 AM
Edrick shouted at the assassin. "Quit wasting time with that crossbow and help." Edrick furrows his brow at his annoying opponent as he slashes once more.

Swift action: White Raven Tactics: Darren gets his turn right after mine.

Another non-fatal attack: [roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Nice a crit.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-21, 10:27 AM
Selena

She grinned at Eywels' comment, and then nodded at his suggestion. "Just be your usual brash, yet loveable self," she replied, "just make sure they aren't paying me too much attention. But as it is I can be pretty subtle. Oh, and when I give you a signal, by lets see, um, laying my hand on your shoulder, I want you to ask more pointed questions about these coins, how about trying to pay with some of them?"

Selena thought she was going to quite enjoy this.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-21, 10:44 AM
Edrick shouted at the assassin. "Quit wasting time with that crossbow and help." Edrick furrows his brow at his annoying opponent as he slashes once more.

Swift action: White Raven Tactics: Darren gets his turn right after mine.

Another non-fatal attack: [roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Nice a crit.

The dagger strikes the brachial plexus origin and our good friend goes night night.

The would-be assassin is now on the ground, unconcious but breathing. The other one you dropped earlier still holds to life, his wound staining the cobblestones with blood.

Selena

She grinned at Eywels' comment, and then nodded at his suggestion. "Just be your usual brash, yet loveable self," she replied, "just make sure they aren't paying me too much attention. But as it is I can be pretty subtle. Oh, and when I give you a signal, by lets see, um, laying my hand on your shoulder, I want you to ask more pointed questions about these coins, how about trying to pay with some of them?"

Selena thought she was going to quite enjoy this.

The shop is open, though the owner appears to be taking his lunch eating an apple and some cheese.

Admiral
2012-04-21, 11:04 AM
As soon as the would-be assassin hits the ground, Darren shifts his attention. He peers into the shadows down each street, looking for any witnesses who saw the combat, or scouts of the guild who might report back.

"Waste no time, strongman," he hisses out of the side of his mouth, "pick them up and let us make our escape. I cannot carry either, can you carry them both?" He doesn't say what will happen if Edrick answers in the negative.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-21, 11:18 AM
Selena

Selena turns to Eywels, pretending to whisper in his ear, but instead is muttering arcane words.

Casting Detect Thoughts

Sleight of Hand to Conceal Spellcasting [roll0]

Edit:
Selena will be concentrating on maintaining her concentration throughout the meeting (up to 6 minutes), so should someone fail their will save she will keep concentrating to listen to their thoughts over time. DM discretion when it is she will need to take Concentration checks.

And it's a will save DC 16.

Admiral
2012-04-21, 11:25 AM
Forgot to do Spot and Listen checks for witnesses:

Listen: [roll1]

Dienekes
2012-04-21, 11:32 AM
"I can take one," Edrick says as he cuts the throat of whichever assassin looked younger. He scans the surrounding area to look for any potential observers as he slings one over his shoulder. "Dump the body somewhere, then if you can go back to make sure they haven't moved the target. The plan hasn't yet changed, it only means we have to work even faster."

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-21, 11:43 AM
Selena

Selena turns to Eywels, pretending to whisper in his ear, but instead is muttering arcane words.

Casting Detect Thoughts

Sleight of Hand to Conceal Spellcasting [roll0]

There's three thinking minds in the shop in front of you, and Eywels beside you.

"Welcome, what can I do for you today."

Forgot to do Spot and Listen checks for witnesses:

"I can take one," Edrick says as he cuts the throat of whichever assassin looked younger. He scans the surrounding area to look for any potential observers as he slings one over his shoulder. "Dump the body somewhere, then if you can go back to make sure they haven't moved the body. The plan hasn't yet changed, it only means we have to work even faster."

You don't see anything, but you hear something get knocked over nearby. Someone was watching.

Admiral
2012-04-21, 11:50 AM
You don't see anything, but you hear something get knocked over nearby. Someone was watching.

"Do it. Run!" Darren whispers urgently to Edrick. Then he immediately sprints in the direction of the noise, his dagger ready.

Dienekes
2012-04-21, 11:59 AM
Hauling the body, Edrick runs toward his home, attempting to take alleys where he is less likely to be seen, but still fairly direct as to not delay him too much.

OOC: Will need to know if interrupted by this before posting further on Edrick's actions.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-21, 12:03 PM
"Do it. Run!" Darren whispers urgently to Edrick. Then he immediately sprints in the direction of the noise, his dagger ready.

Darren cannot see where the watcher went, but he notices something on the ground.

It's a lily, white and tinged with a metallic green at the edges.

Hauling the body, Edrick runs toward his home, attempting to take alleys where he is less likely to be seen, but still fairly direct as to not delay him too much.

OOC: Will need to know if interrupted by this before posting further on Edrick's actions.

He makes it to his home.

Admiral
2012-04-21, 12:06 PM
Darren cannot see where the watcher went, but he notices something on the ground.

It's a lily, white and tinged with a metallic green at the edges.

Darren, still alert and armed, picks it up in a gloved hand to put it in his pocket.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-21, 12:08 PM

Darren, still alert and armed, picks it up in a gloved hand to put it in his pocket.

The lily (oddly for this game) doesn't do anything. Darren puts it in his pocket without trouble.

Admiral
2012-04-21, 12:27 PM
Darren turns back around and rushes to the body of the fallen assassin. He drags it into the nearest shadowed area close to the docks. With his strength, he'd never be able to get the body a safe distance away fast enough to be clean, so the water would have to do. But the corpse will be found eventually, so precautions are in order.

Darren lays the body out on the ground, and starts with a dagger thrust to his throat. With a few practiced slices he cuts the corpse's larynx to shreds, then thrusts the dagger upward to split his tongue. That takes care of the risk of speak with dead. He follows this with a few skilled slashes to the face, enough to make it nearly unrecognizable.

.............Too disturbing?

Darren searches the pockets for any money, valuables, or any evidence that the assassin is associated with the assassin's guild. If law enforcement finds the body before the guild does, they might think it a robbery, which could buy time before the assassins learn of it.

Search check: [roll0]

He then looks for a spot where he can dump the corpse into the water without any witnesses.

Spot check: [roll1]

Dienekes
2012-04-21, 12:43 PM
Edrick held onto the body with one hand as he opened the back door to his home. No sooner had it shut that he started calling. "Derig, Derig get over here." It took moments for the small seneschal to appear before him.

"What is this?" the rat faced man asked, as he looked at the body. "Making new friends are we?"

"Quit your joking and tie him up, hands, feet, blindfold and gag. I want him to be awake and paranoid by the time I get back," Edrick ran up to his room to change out of his bloodstained clothes so he wouldn't draw any unwanted attention.

"And where are you going, while I do all your work for you?" Derig called after him.

"Not now, Derig, no time!" he shouted as he grabbed a nobles uniform and his sword. "Just have it done when I get back."

Without another word he rushed to saddle his horse, and rode off to the home of Alistair D’Arbor.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-21, 01:03 PM
Darren turns back around and rushes to the body of the fallen assassin. He drags it into the nearest shadowed area close to the docks. With his strength, he'd never be able to get the body a safe distance away fast enough to be clean, so the water would have to do. But the corpse will be found eventually, so precautions are in order.

Darren lays the body out on the ground, and starts with a dagger thrust to his throat. With a few practiced slices he cuts the corpse's larynx to shreds, then thrusts the dagger upward to split his tongue. That takes care of the risk of speak with dead. He follows this with a few skilled slashes to the face, enough to make it nearly unrecognizable.

.............Too disturbing?

Darren searches the pockets for any money, valuables, or any evidence that the assassin is associated with the assassin's guild. If law enforcement finds the body before the guild does, they might think it a robbery, which could buy time before the assassins learn of it.

Search check: [roll0]

He then looks for a spot where he can dump the corpse into the water without any witnesses.

Spot check: [roll1]

He finds little on the guy save a tattoo which will have to be removed, a black circle with a red square in it.

After the skin is peeled off, the body is dumped in a suitable place and Darren is on his way.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-21, 01:10 PM
Edrick held onto the body with one hand as he opened the back door to his home. No sooner had it shut that he started calling. "Derig, Derig get over here." It took moments for the small seneschal to appear before him.

"What is this?" the rat faced man asked, as he looked at the body. "Making new friends are we?"

"Quit your joking and tie him up, hands, feet, blindfold and gag. I want him to be awake and paranoid by the time I get back," Edrick ran up to his room to change out of his bloodstained clothes so he wouldn't draw any unwanted attention.

"And where are you going, while I do all your work for you?" Derig called after him.

"Not now, Derig, no time!" he shouted as he grabbed a nobles uniform and his sword. "Just have it done when I get back."

Without another word he rushed to saddle his horse, and rode off to the home of Alistair D’Arbor.

He is stopped at the gates by two guardsmen.

"What business have you here?"

Dienekes
2012-04-21, 01:21 PM
"I've come to speak with your master. Tell him Sir Wayland craves an audience to discuss a problem with his coin."

Admiral
2012-04-21, 01:27 PM
Darren first gets as much distance between himself and the crime as possible, moving swiftly to a different part of the city. Normally he would disappear for a few days, but he has work to do. Besides, he hadn't killed anyone yet.

He ducks into an alleyway and disguises himself, changing his clothes and appearance to take on the appearance of a drunk. After this subterfuge, he circles back around to the Gutted Trout, taking a particularly indirect route to come up on the tavern from a different direction. As he approaches covertly, he watches for any guards or lookouts, and is careful to check for anyone following him. He tries to get about three blocks away from the tavern and watch from afar.

Hide: [roll2]
Move Silently: [roll3]

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-21, 01:38 PM
"I've come to speak with your master. Tell him Sir Wayland craves an audience to discuss a problem with his coin."

"Very well."

He opens the gate.

You walk up the pathway to the manse, and when you get there one of the servants answers the door.

"Yes sir? What may I do for the house of Wayland?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-21, 01:43 PM
Darren first gets as much distance between himself and the crime as possible, moving swiftly to a different part of the city. Normally he would disappear for a few days, but he has work to do. Besides, he hadn't killed anyone yet.

He ducks into an alleyway and disguises himself, changing his clothes and appearance to take on the appearance of a drunk. After this subterfuge, he circles back around to the Gutted Trout, taking a particularly indirect route to come up on the tavern from a different direction. As he approaches covertly, he watches for any guards or lookouts, and is careful to check for anyone following him. He tries to get about three blocks away from the tavern and watch from afar.

Hide: [roll2]
Move Silently: [roll3]

The tavern is quiet, though once or twice you see a man leave, and then come back soon after. Just one man, the bartender, no one else.

Dienekes
2012-04-21, 02:28 PM
"Yes, perhaps you can help me, I need to speak to Alistair D’Arbor, could you please direct me to him."

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-21, 02:38 PM
"Yes, perhaps you can help me, I need to speak to Alistair D’Arbor, could you please direct me to him."

"The master is currently engaged. I could show you to the sitting room?"

Dienekes
2012-04-21, 04:51 PM
"It is unfortunately a matter of some urgency. If I wrote him a note, would you please give it to him so he may know to conclude his business as swiftly as possible, or hopefully postpone it for the few minutes I would need to talk to him."

shugyosha
2012-04-21, 05:38 PM
There's three thinking minds in the shop in front of you, and Eywels beside you.

"Welcome, what can I do for you today."

Eywels struts in with Selena at his arm.

"Good day, my lovely bride to be wishes a promise favor. She is not, however, partial to rings, a cameo or some such. We heard your are the best at that sort of thing."

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-21, 09:40 PM
Eywels struts in with Selena at his arm.

"Good day, my lovely bride to be wishes a promise favor. She is not, however, partial to rings, a cameo or some such. We heard your are the best at that sort of thing."

"I am quite good at impressions upon metal, I could make you something. What were you thinking?"

Selena: The minds have intelligence of 2, 1 and 15

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-22, 06:51 AM
Selena

Selena nods at this suggestion, thinking it would be a good way of keeping the man talking for a longer time, but she says little, instead focussing on her spell.

shugyosha
2012-04-22, 08:39 AM
Eywels

"Well, I did give you a rose when we first met. Do you have samples of that?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-22, 12:01 PM
Eywels

"Well, I did give you a rose when we first met. Do you have samples of that?"

"A rose medallion? Well I could see. I have a beautiful work that was commisioned from me and I have spares that didn't make the cut, still fine thing, could be the basis of a nice medallion."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-22, 12:37 PM
Selena

"That sounds wonderful," Selena inserted, trying to make sure she didn't stay mute for the whole conversation.

Were those three intelligence values in a back room, or does it include the man we're talking to?

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-22, 01:47 PM
Selena

"That sounds wonderful," Selena inserted, trying to make sure she didn't stay mute for the whole conversation.

Were those three intelligence values in a back room, or does it include the man we're talking to?

Man talking to you, and one in backroom, one behind a cabinet. The two others seem to be thinking of food and sleep, the man is thinking about how much money he can get out of you.

"Splendid!"

He brings out a couple of coins that bear the Rose on them.

"I have this design, as well as an angel."

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-22, 09:36 PM
"It is unfortunately a matter of some urgency. If I wrote him a note, would you please give it to him so he may know to conclude his business as swiftly as possible, or hopefully postpone it for the few minutes I would need to talk to him."

"I might be able to do that."

He brings a pen and some paper.

Dienekes
2012-04-23, 07:24 AM
"Thank you, friend," Edrick says as he takes the paper from the servant's hand.

He walks over to a table to begin writing:
D’Arbor
Made some headway in that money problem we talked about. Unfortunately very small window in which to work. Need to discuss with you presently.

Sir Edrick Wayland

shugyosha
2012-04-23, 08:28 AM
Man talking to you, and one in backroom, one behind a cabinet. The two others seem to be thinking of food and sleep, the man is thinking about how much money he can get out of you.

"Splendid!"

He brings out a couple of coins that bear the Rose on them.

"I have this design, as well as an angel."

"These are exquisite," Eywels says as he looks them over. "Who did you makes these for?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-23, 06:39 PM
"Thank you, friend," Edrick says as he takes the paper from the servant's hand.

He walks over to a table to begin writing:
D’Arbor
Made some headway in that money problem we talked about. Unfortunately very small window in which to work. Need to discuss with you presently.

Sir Edrick Wayland

The servant takes the paper and folds it neatly twice, placing it upon a tray and leaving the room for a moment.

He returns with a biscuits and tea.

"Some refreshment before you leave sir?"

"These are exquisite," Eywels says as he looks them over. "Who did you makes these for?"

"An . . . elvish woman. Very into metalwork. Amelia, or some such."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-23, 07:07 PM
Selena

"Oh, the Lady Amalei? She's a good friend of ours, we had her to tea this very morning." Selena giggles girlishly. "She never told us she was getting into the coin business again, but she is so very clever. I'm always telling Eywels I don't know why she wastes her time with us sometimes."

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-23, 07:45 PM
Selena

"Oh, the Lady Amalei? She's a good friend of ours, we had her to tea this very morning." Selena giggles girlishly. "She never told us she was getting into the coin business again, but she is so very clever. I'm always telling Eywels I don't know why she wastes her time with us sometimes."

"Yes, her. She's quite . . . engaging, as a client."

He takes out a ledger.

"Now before we place this order in eternal scribing upon this page, may I have your names and business for posterity?"

Dienekes
2012-04-23, 07:57 PM
Sir Edrick just shook his head, "Unfortunately cannot stay, as I said time is of the essence."

That idiot. What possible good does he expect us to do if he did not even give us a means to contact him? Does he expect us to just wait on his beck and call? He expects to use my network, without bloody paying me, and then won't even speak to me in regards to doing his damn work? Nothing about this feels right. Edrick briskly walked to his horse as he road to his home.

Without unsaddling his horse he entered his home to be greeted by Derig.
"Edrick! The man is tied up and ready as you said, are you going-"

"No time, gather a few of the boys I have work for them to do."

Derig stood silently and nodded.

"I want the house of Alistair D'Arbor watched, as of now. See who he is meeting with at this moment. I also need to find out where a boastful dwarf named Dwalin, an elf named Ser William Sylvannis-Penning, and some mage who goes by Assana are right now."

"Sir, that's hardly anything to go by, finding them may prove impossible."

"I know that, but try damn you," Edrick says as he rushes out of his home.

Gather Information: who leaves D'Arbor's house [roll0]
Gather Information: location of Dwalin [roll1]
Gather Information: location of Ser William [roll2]
Gather Information: location of Selena but since all I have to work on is a fake name that is probably impossible, still roll anyway [roll3]

After giving his orders Edrick heads back to Darren. Knowing that he probably won't be able to find the assassin he instead heads for the Trout. Knowing the assassin would probably be intelligent about this Edrick moves around the back of the Trout to try and position himself so the surrounding buildings could see him while avoiding all the windows of the Trout. While trying to spot his partner.
Would this be hide?[roll4]
And Spot [roll5]