PDA

View Full Version : Shifter sharpshooter

Isaac Malus
2012-03-16, 10:14 PM
So my friends have been playing a 4.0 game for a while and I finally received an invite from their DM to join. Im looking at a longtooth shifter that can basically swiftly travel from perch to perch via jumping, swinging, climbing and what not swiftly. Even jumping super high (if possible) Can anyone help me with this? I think I want to go with Rogue sharpshooter type.

Akodo Makama
2012-03-17, 02:05 AM
You might want to check out ranger. They get more 'move around' abilities than rogues, and do the long range sharpshooter thing even better. Their attack abilities are a bit bland (many consider ranger to be the most boring class), many being very similar to one another (Shoot a target... twice), but they get many abilities to interrupt other people's turns and change things (like helping an ally hit instead of miss). Plus, the extra damage ability for the ranger (if you hit, do extra damage, and take two chances to hit) is a bit easier to achieve from range than the rogues (if you hit, and the target's not able to defent properly, do extra damage), leading to more 'Boom!' moments.

Either way, get good dexterity (for most of your attacks, and some swinging and whatnot), and decent strength (for jumping and climbing), and train in athletics and acrobatics.

And you still have half the character to play with.

incandescent
2012-03-19, 05:09 PM
I love making characters with ridiculous athletics mods. Is the DM using background bonuses from PHB2? If so, theres a free +2 right there. The long jumper PHB feat means you don't have to bother with a running start. And there's always skill focus if you don't pick up a different feat that gives a feat bonus. Those were the first two things that popped in my head.

What sources do you have access to or are allowed by the DM?
potential feats by source:
Shifter's agility (eberron player's guide) makes your racial power add +5 to acro/ath while being used)
Urban predator (dragon mag 387) lets you treat low rolls excepts 1's as 8

If you mc or hybrid rogue you can pick up duelist's panache (DM 381) that turns your cha mod into a feat bonus to your acro/ath. Though that's probably stretching it depending on build.

If you hybrid monk you vould pick up the crane's wings at will, whose move action gives another +5 to jumps.

There's also a skill power utility that lets you use athletics whenever you'd make a str check. It's an at will too.

EDIT: i only recommend hyvriding if you are experienced with the game

Tegu8788
2012-03-19, 06:52 PM
If the shifter race is specifically required, then ignore the following. If an animalistic character with some polymorphous power is the goal, I'd suggest the satyr, and it's racial jumping power, from the feywild book.

The Underlord
2012-03-19, 07:53 PM
Executioner should be good for what you want. They get an utility power that does exactly what you are looking for IIRC.