PDA

View Full Version : Trust not your eyes, for they will lead you astray (Spells, PEACH)

Heliomance
2012-03-17, 10:17 AM
Tabitha's Deceptive Theurgy
Illusion (Glamer)

Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Tabitha's Deceptive Theurgy is a subtle glamer that overlays your hands, throat and mouth. It does nothing to change your appearance, and provides no bonus to Disguise checks. Any time you cast an Illusion spell that mimics another spell (for example, a Silent Image of a Wall of Fire), the illusion cloaks the gestures you make and the words you speak, and replaces them with the appropriate components for the imitated spell. Thus, anyone making a Spellcraft check to identify what spell you are casting believes that you are actually casting the spell being imitated.

Material component: Four strings cut from a marionette.

Tabitha's Transcendent Obfuscation
Illusion (Shadow)

Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The ultimate expression of Illusion spells, this spell draws on the power of shadow to reinforce and protect all Illusion spells you cast. Any Illusion spell you cast while under the effects of Tabitha's Transcendent Obfuscation are not automatically defeated by True Seeing. The illusions are so complete and realistic that even such powerful Divination magic is fooled. Anyone looking at one of your illusions with True Seeing instead receives a Will save versus the spell's normal DC with a +4 bonus, as if they had been told it is an illusion. Success indicates that True Seeing functions as normal, failure indicates that they perceive the illusion as if they did not have True Seeing active. If you have the Chains of Disbelief alternate class feature (UA), they do not receive the +4 bonus to their save.

Focus: A veil of rare silks and gold thread, on which glyphs of confusion and obfuscation must be both stitched and painted in rare and fragrant oils. You must craft this veil yourself, requiring a DC 20 Craft (weaving) check, and the materials cost 5000 GP. The veil must be worn for the duration of the spell. Removing the veil ends the effects of the spell.

unosarta
2012-03-17, 10:27 AM
I don't think the high level is necessary, considering that Transmutation is getting haste at this level, which is much much better.

However, my main question is this: how does this spell interact with the Shadow Evocation and Shadow Conjuration spells? I don't really know how they work with spellcraft checks to identify them, which is part of why I am asking.

Heliomance
2012-03-19, 07:39 AM
The level is due to the long duration mostly. Haste, while very good, only lasts a round per level, whereas this is an all-day buff. I'm honestly not sure how it should interact with Shadow spells. It should probably work the same - make it seem as though you're casting the real spell.

JoshuaZ
2012-03-19, 07:45 AM
This should probably give a circumstance bonus to the save DC against disbelief.

Heliomance
2012-03-19, 08:28 AM
That would make it a lot more powerful - probably enough to bump it up another level, at least. Also it would make no sense for it to apply a blanket bonus to the DC - the enemy Barbarian neither knows nor cares what the gestures you just made mean. It doesn't so much apply a bonus as remove a penalty - if the enemy caster identifies the spell you're casting as Silent Image, he knows that it's not a real Wall of Fire. This just stops anyone with Spellcraft from automatically ignoring your ilusions.

Heliomance
2012-03-19, 09:52 AM
New spell added.

Sypher667
2012-03-19, 10:21 AM
Is the material cost for Tabitha's Transcendent Obfuscation intended to be one time only? Afaik, most costly material components are consumed. Wasn't sure if this was intentional or not.

Missed that it was a focus, and not a component. Oppsie :smallredface:

Cieyrin
2012-03-19, 10:31 AM
Is the material cost for Tabitha's Transcendent Obfuscation intended to be one time only? Afaik, most costly material components are consumed. Wasn't sure if this was intentional or not.

It's a Focus, so no, I don't think so. Unless Heliomance just changed it from a material component to a focus, which I can't be sure of.

As for Deceptive Theurgy providing a save DC bonus, that's what Spell Enhancer is for, which is a generic boost that any caster may want to consider if they're dependent on save or sucks like an Illusionist would be outside of cheesed out Shadow spells.

JoshuaZ
2012-03-19, 06:50 PM
That would make it a lot more powerful - probably enough to bump it up another level, at least. Also it would make no sense for it to apply a blanket bonus to the DC - the enemy Barbarian neither knows nor cares what the gestures you just made mean. It doesn't so much apply a bonus as remove a penalty - if the enemy caster identifies the spell you're casting as Silent Image, he knows that it's not a real Wall of Fire. This just stops anyone with Spellcraft from automatically ignoring your ilusions.

Hmm, good point, maybe just a circumstance penalty to those who make the spellcraft check? After all, that's an additional reason for them to think it was genuine.