PDA

View Full Version : Ebon Knight [3.5 Base Class] PLEASE PEACH (Redux)

Empedocles
2012-03-31, 07:29 PM
I'm revisiting this class, because last time it got no love :smalleek:
What I was going for here was a primarily melee combatant (probably Tier 4 in terms of what it can do in combat, but Tier 3 would be ideal) who still had some versatility. Who wouldn't be shut down the next time someone threw up a magical shield or started with the guerilla tactics. Yes. I probably failed. But that's what PEACHing is for!

The Ebon Knight is a warrior who draws his power from the shadows around him, but can still battle on par with the mightiest of knights. Ebon knights are rare in the world and greatly reviled, although not all are utterly evil.

http://i.imgur.com/TuvqX.jpg

HD: D10
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4+Int. Modifier)x4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4+Int. Modifier
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The ebon knight is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light and medium armor, and shields (but not tower shields).
Alignment: Any non-good.
Abilities: Strength and constitution are important for an ebon knight, as he is a front line fighter. He also benefits from a high dexterity score, since he can't use heavy armor. Wisdom augments most of his class abilities.
List of Class Skills: Bluff, Climb, Disguise, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (the planes), Move Silently, Spot, and Swim.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|
Dark Soul I, Darkvision

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|
Bonus Feat

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|
Lesser Shadow Body 1/day

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|
Bonus Feat

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|
Dark Soul II

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|
Lesser Shadow Body 2/day

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|
Bonus Feat

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2|
Additional Aspect

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3|
Shadow Body 1/day

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|
Dark Soul III

11th|
+11|
+7|
+3|
+3|
Bonus Feat

12th|
+12|
+8|
+4|
+4|
Shadow Body 2/day

13th|
+13|
+8|
+4|
+4|
Dark Magic

14th|
+14|
+9|
+4|
+4|
Dark Will

15th|
+15|
+9|
+5|
+5|
Dark Soul IV

16th|
+16|
+10|
+5|
+5|
Greater Shadow Body 1/day

17th|
+17|
+10|
+5|
+5|
Additional Aspect

18th|
+18|
+11|
+6|
+6|
Greater Dark Magic

19th|
+19|
+11|
+6|
+6|
Greater Shadow Body 2/day

20th|
+20|
+12|
+6|
+6|
Dark Soul V, Son of Shadow|[/table]

Darkvision: At 1st level, the ebon knight gains darkvision 60 ft. If he already has darkvision, this extends it by 60 ft. If he has low-light vision, this extends his low-light vision by 30 ft. in addition to gaining the darkvision.

Dark Soul: This ability is the core ability of the ebon knight. It allows him to (as a swift action) assume an "aspect of shadow." At 1st level, the ebon knight can select 1 aspect. At 5th level, and every 5 levels after, the power of his selected aspect grows. At 8th and 17th level, he can select a 2nd and 3rd aspect, respectively. He is counted as being 5 levels lower for the purposes of determining the power of each of these aspects. Assuming any aspect gives an ebon knight a +5 bonus to Hide checks. A list of aspects can be found below. An aspect lasts for 2 rounds+the ebon knights level, and can be used a number of times per day equal to his wisdom modifier.

Aspect of the Hunger in the Shadows: This ability turns the ebon knight into an empty vacuum of shadow. Once per round as a standard action, he can attempt to drain away the shadows of an enemy within 30 ft. The enemy makes a Will save (DC 10+the ebon knight's wisdom modifier+1/2 his ebon knight levels), and if he fails, he takes 1d4+his wisdom modifier points of strength damage. At 5th level the range increases to 60 ft., at 10th level the damage increases to 1d6+his wisdom modifier, at 15th level the save DC increases to 10+the ebon knight's wisdom modifier+his class levels, and at 20th level the strength damage increases to 1d8+his wisdom modifier.

Aspect of the Dark Champion: This aspect makes the ebon knight into a deadly warrior who wields the shadows like a weapon, not a cloak to hide behind. It can be used as a move action. This aspect grants him a +4 bonus to Strength and a +4 bonus to dexterity. While the aspect lasts however, he takes a -2 penalty to constitution, as the shadows feed off of him. At 5th level, this ability can be activated as a swift action. At 10th level, the bonus to strength increases to +6. At 15th level, the penalty to constitution disappears. At 20th level, the bonus to dexterity increases to +6.

Aspect of the Shadow Dancer: As a standard action, an ebon knight can assume some of the qualities of a fellow warrior of shadow: the shadow dancer. He gains the ability to move from a shadow he is currently standing in to any other shadow he can see. At night this ability does not function. If an enemy is facing him, an ebon knight cannot shadow hop into his shadow, but if the enemy is flat-footed he can. The shadow hop cannot move the knight more then 60 ft. At 5th level, this ability becomes only a move action. At 10th level, he can use this ability to move up to 120 ft. At 15th level, he can use this ability at night, but only at a cost: each time he activates it, he takes a temporary -2 penalty to constitution if used at night. At 20th level this ability becomes an immediate action.

Aspect of the Shadowforger: This aspect grants the ebon knight the ability to begin to forge items from the shadows around him. As a standard action after assuming this aspect, he can create any item that doesn't have moving parts and cost more then 10 gp from shadow. The item is black and sort of wispy (easy to identify as being magical), and disappears if it is put more than 10 ft. away from the ebon knight. No items created with this ability can be used as components for a spell. In addition, the ebon knight can create weapons with this ability. Any weapons he creates are masterwork, but can only be wielded by the ebon knight (they disappear if someone else tries to use them) At 5th level the ebon knight's weapons he creates are +1, at 10th level they're +2, at 15th level they're +3, and at 20th they're +4. Weapons or items an ebon knight creates with this aspect only last for a number of rounds equal to his class level.

Aspect of Shadowy Metamorphosis: This aspect allows the ebon knight to transform a small part of his body into shadow, reshape it, and re-solidify it. At 1st level, this allows him to grant himself a reach of 5 ft., a natural attack that deals 1d6 points of damage, some sort of appendage that gives him the glide ability, or a +1 natural armor bonus to AC. At 5th level, he can grant himself a fly speed of 20 ft. (poor), increase the natural attack to 1d8 points of damage, a +2 natural armor bonus to AC, DR 1/ - . At 10th level he can use this ability to effectively use the gaseous form spell, with a CL equal to his class levels. At 15th level he can gain a fly speed of 30 ft. (poor), DR 2/ - , a natural attack that deals 1d12 points of damage, or a +3 natural armor bonus. Finally, at 20th level he can "shift" between his current plane and the plane of shadow, allowing him to use shadow walk as a spell like ability at will (CL = class levels) and become effectively under the effect of a blink spell (CL = class levels).

An ebon knight can assume a number of the above traits equal to his wisdom modifier (e.g., a level 3 ebon knight with a 14 wisdom (+2) could get 5 ft. reach and a 1d6 natural attack, or a glide and +1 AC, or any other combination of 2 abilities.).

Bonus Feat: At the specified levels, the ebon knight receives a bonus feat of his choice. He must meet all of the prerequisites.

Lesser Shadow Body: At 3rd level, once per day as a standard action, the ebon knight can turn himself into partial shadow. This has the same effects as a blink spell, and lasts for 1 round+his wisdom modifier (if positive). He gains an additional usage of this ability at 6th level.

Shadow Body: At 9th level, the ebon knight can, once per day as a standard action, wreath himself in even more extensive darkness. He gains the benefits of a blink spell and you extend a sphere of darkness (as the spell) 30 ft. This ability lasts for 1 round+his wisdom modifier (if positive). This ability is separate from the lesser and greater shadow body abilities. Using one does not count as a daily usage for another.

Greater Shadow Body: Starting at 16th level, once per day as a full round action, the ebon knight can gain the benefits of an ethereal jaunt spell. It lasts for 1 round+his wisdom modifier.

Dark Magic: At 13th level, the ebon knight can select any wizard/sorcerer spell of 6th level or lower to use as a spell like ability twice per day. At 18th level he can select a second spell, this time of 8th or lower level, but he can only use this spell-like ability once per day. Once a spell is chosen, it cannot be changed.

Dark Will: At 14th level, the ebon knight's mind becomes part of shadow. He gains immunity to all mind-affecting spells.

Son of Shadow: At 20th level, the ebon knight gains the "shadow" template from Tome of Magic. In addition, he gains Fast Healing 2 while standing in shadow (essentially eliminating the need for magical healing outside of combat) and can become invisible (as the spell) as a standard action while standing in darkness. The invisibility can be seen with true seeing or see invisibility, and if light is shed on the ebon knight (a light spell would not be enough, but a daylight spell would be more then enough) he appears immediately.

Empedocles
2012-03-31, 07:37 PM
Reserved For Feats

Extend Aspect (General)
Prerequisites: Ebon knight level 1.
Benefits: The ebon knight can select one of his aspects, and extend its duration by 1 round.
Special: This feat can be taken multiple times. Each time, the ebon knight can either add an additional round to the aspect's duration or select a new aspect to apply this feat to.

Mathias1313
2012-04-01, 08:11 AM
I like the theme of the class, I just have 2 things.

First I would like to see some more abilities listed.

Second, Aspect of the Hunger in the Shadows is way too powerful. At fist lvl you can do 1d4+5 Con Damage within 30ft with a DC save of 16.
That is insane man.

Empedocles
2012-04-01, 09:28 AM
I like the theme of the class, I just have 2 things.

First I would like to see some more abilities listed.

Second, Aspect of the Hunger in the Shadows is way too powerful. At fist lvl you can do 1d4+5 Con Damage within 30ft with a DC save of 16.
That is insane man.

By more abilities, do you mean more aspects?

As to the aspect of the hungry shadows, good point...what do you think the best way to scale it down would be? Decreasing the range would be first, but I'd like to keep the save DC relatively high so it's still a viable attack at high levels.

Madara
2012-04-01, 09:30 AM
Dark Soul: This ability is the core ability of the ebon knight. It allows him to (as a swift action) assume an "aspect of shadow." At 1st level, the ebon knight can select 1 aspect. At 5th level, and every 5 levels after, the power of his selected aspect grows. At 8th and 17th level, he can select a 2nd and 3rd aspect, respectively. He is counted as being 5 levels lower for the purposes of determining the power of each of these aspects. Assuming any aspect gives an ebon knight a +5 bonus to Hide checks. A list of aspects can be found below. An aspect lasts for 2 rounds+the ebon knights level.

Is there a recharge? Or times/day? Because with a swift action, I could constantly be assuming an aspect.

Aspect of the Hunger in the Shadows: This ability turns the ebon knight into an empty vacuum of shadow. Once per round as a standard action, he can attempt to drain away the shadows of an enemy within 30 ft. The enemy makes a Will save (DC 10+the ebon knight's wisdom modifier+1/2 his ebon knight levels), and if he fails, he takes 1d4+his wisdom modifier points of constitution damage. At 5th level the range increases to 60 ft., at 10th level the damage increases to 1d6+his wisdom modifier, at 15th level the save DC increases to 10+the ebon knight's wisdom modifier+his class levels, and at 20th level the constitution damage increases to 1d8+his wisdom modifier.

Let's try this at first level. We'll assume a 16/17 for wisdom.(Even though you should get more) DC 10+3+1=14. That's not bad. And if you succeed, that's 1d4+3 Con damage. My recommendation? Make it strength or Dex. Both stats that will show the effect, but no auto-kill. Because, seriously, con damage is crazy. Important to remember is that Will Saves become the strongest in monsters. So make sure it scales well. Also, I see much potential for feats to extend range, increase DC..ect

Aspect of the Dark Champion: This aspect makes the ebon knight into a deadly warrior who wields the shadows like a weapon, not a cloak to hide behind. It can be used as a move action. This aspect grants him a +4 bonus to Strength and a +4 bonus to dexterity. While the aspect lasts however, he takes a -2 penalty to constitution, as the shadows feed off of him. At 5th level, this ability can be activated as a swift action. At 10th level, the bonus to strength increases to +6. At 15th level, the penalty to constitution disappears. At 20th level, the bonus to dexterity increases to +6.

Is the move action instead of the swift? I find this one a little confusing.

Aspect of the Shadow Dancer: As a standard action, an ebon knight can assume some of the qualities of a fellow warrior of shadow: the shadow dancer. He gains the ability to move from a shadow he is currently standing in to any other shadow he can see. At night this ability does not function. If an enemy is facing him, an ebon knight cannot shadow hop into his shadow, but if the enemy is flat-footed he can. The shadow hop cannot move the knight more then 60 ft. At 5th level, this ability becomes only a move action. At 10th level, he can use this ability to move up to 120 ft. At 15th level, he can use this ability at night, but only at a cost: each time he activates it, he takes a temporary -2 penalty to constitution. At 20th level this ability becomes an immediate action.

The cost is overkill, because it actually makes it worse, Each time he activates it add "at night"

Aspect of the Shadowforger: This aspect grants the ebon knight the ability to begin to forge items from the shadows around him. As a standard action after assuming this aspect, he can create any item that doesn't have moving parts and cost more then 10 gp from shadow. The item is black and sort of wispy (easy to identify as being magical), and disappears if it is put more than 10 ft. away from the ebon knight. In addition, the ebon knight can create weapons with this ability. Any weapons he creates are masterwork, but can only be wielded by the ebon knight (they disappear if someone else tries to use them) At 5th level the ebon knight's weapons he creates are +1, at 10th level they're +2, at 15th level they're +3, and at 20th they're +4. Weapons or items an ebon knight creates with this aspect only last for a number of rounds equal to his class level.

Add "They cannot be used as material components...ect". Because 10gp/round with the first lasting that many rounds racks up fast. Also, I can tell you want this to be for making weapons. Just come out and say it only makes weapons.

Aspect of Shadowy Metamorphosis: This aspect allows the ebon knight to transform a small part of his body into shadow, reshape it, and re-solidify it. At 1st level, this allows him to grant himself a reach of 5 ft., a natural attack that deals 1d6 points of damage, some sort of appendage that gives him the glide ability, or a +1 natural armor bonus to AC. At 5th level, he can grant himself a fly speed of 20 ft. (poor), increase the natural attack to 1d8 points of damage, a +2 natural armor bonus to AC, DR 1/ - . At 10th level he can use this ability to effectively use the gaseous form spell, with a CL equal to his class levels. At 15th level he can gain a fly speed of 30 ft. (poor), DR 2/ - , a natural attack that deals 1d12 points of damage, or a +3 natural armor bonus. Finally, at 20th level he can "shift" between his current plane and the plane of shadow, allowing him to use shadow walk as a spell like ability at will (CL = class levels) and become effectively under the effect of a blink spell (CL = class levels).

An ebon knight can assume a number of the above traits equal to his wisdom modifier (e.g., a level 3 ebon knight with a 14 wisdom (+2) could get 5 ft. reach and a 1d6 natural attack, or a glide and +1 AC, or any other combination of 2 abilities.).

This seems to be the best one, because it offers a variety of options within one aspect.

Snip

The rest of things seem fine, but granting dark soul 5 doesn't feel like a capstone, only more of the same. Feel free to grant the shadow template or something.

Empedocles
2012-04-01, 10:45 AM
Madara: Made most of the changes you suggested, most importantly changed the aspects to limited times/day and changed the hungry shadows from constitution damage to strength damage.

Any suggestions for balancing the aspect of shadowy metamorphosis?

Madara
2012-04-01, 03:50 PM
I would split it into two aspects

Defense:AC, DR, Saves...ect
Movement Modes:Glide..fly...ect

Empedocles
2012-04-02, 08:13 PM
Any suggestions for feats? General PEACHing?

eftexar
2012-04-02, 09:08 PM
Pretty cool. Can I ask for a couple of format changes?:
You didn't list if abilities are ex, sp, or su. It's terribly confusing because I have this gut reaction to assume anything without a label is ex.
Could you indent the dark soul abilities at each level.

Beyond that I think there needs to be more aspects. The more options the better.
I might add in a clause for dark magic that "once the spell has been chosen it can't be changed" or something like that.
I assume dark will is to saves. I would just grant immunity. There are spells that can do this already and with a +8 it is unlikely you will fail the save.
I think you need an extra bonus alongside what son of shadow already grants as you already get many of its bonuses through leveling (how about fast healing or and AC bonus when in shadowy illumination/darkness).
Why doesn't aspect of the shadow dancer work at night at the start (beyond that there is no duration for the penalty when he can)?

Empedocles
2012-04-02, 10:10 PM
Pretty cool. Can I ask for a couple of format changes?:
You didn't list if abilities are ex, sp, or su. It's terribly confusing because I have this gut reaction to assume anything without a label is ex.
Could you indent the dark soul abilities at each level.

Beyond that I think there needs to be more aspects. The more options the better.
I might add in a clause for dark magic that "once the spell has been chosen it can't be changed" or something like that.
I assume dark will is to saves. I would just grant immunity. There are spells that can do this already and with a +8 it is unlikely you will fail the save.
I think you need an extra bonus alongside what son of shadow already grants as you already get many of its bonuses through leveling (how about fast healing or and AC bonus when in shadowy illumination/darkness).
Why doesn't aspect of the shadow dancer work at night at the start (beyond that there is no duration for the penalty when he can)?

Will go ahead and grant immunity with Dark Will. The Son of Shadow was just something someone else suggested...I didn't actually have the template on hand to look at :smallconfused: Obviously, I need more aspects...just need to think of more...

Agree with the Dark Magic edit. Thanks for the advice!

Empedocles
2012-04-02, 10:16 PM
219 views and 3 people have PEACHed? Yeesh. Thanks to extexar, Madara, and Mathias 1313 though!

Mathias1313
2012-04-03, 10:50 PM
i think my main Problem with the Aspect of the Hunger in the Shadows is that it is Ability damage and you can stack that at lvl 1. And Str and Con damage are the most potent.
With the example that Madara used, doing 1d4+3 str damage you can effectively make any bruiser enemy a wimp in like 2rnds. Take an Ogre for example, 21str. In 2rnds you could in theory drop him down to 7str and that is very un-optimized. I think a better idea might be to mak it more similar to ray of enfeeblement. You deal 1d4+wis to str as a Penalty that cannot be stacked and it lasts as long as you are in your Aspect. This way it gives a reason to stay in your Aspect of the Hunger in the Shadows instead of just sucking out the big bads str and then switching to say Aspect of Shadowy Metamorphosis and ripping it apart. I also think this would be alot more balanced.
Just my 2 cents. :)
Love the Picture for it btw

Empedocles
2012-04-03, 10:53 PM
i think my main Problem with the Aspect of the Hunger in the Shadows is that it is Ability damage and you can stack that at lvl 1. And Str and Con damage are the most potent.
With the example that Madara used, doing 1d4+3 str damage you can effectively make any bruiser enemy a wimp in like 2rnds. Take an Ogre for example, 21str. In 2rnds you could in theory drop him down to 7str and that is very un-optimized. I think a better idea might be to mak it more similar to ray of enfeeblement. You deal 1d4+wis to str as a Penalty that cannot be stacked and it lasts as long as you are in your Aspect. This way it gives a reason to stay in your Aspect of the Hunger in the Shadows instead of just sucking out the big bads str and then switching to say Aspect of Shadowy Metamorphosis and ripping it apart. I also think this would be alot more balanced.
Just my 2 cents. :)
Love the Picture for it btw

I like these ideas...a lot. Your two cents was worth quite a bit then :smallbiggrin: I'll make the change in a few.