PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your dice?

Lord Loss
2012-04-01, 07:32 AM
I've been keeping my dice in a small, tupperware container with a lid that pops off far too easily, which means that if anything hits the container, or I drop it, it usually ends with the dice flying all over the place.

How do you guys store your dice? I'm trying to find a new way to keep them, ideally something relatively portable, that keeps the dice in the container.

I've been thinking of a little wooden box with a cover that you can push on and off, the kind one of my friends uses.

Yora
2012-04-01, 07:36 AM
I have one in an old faded small plastic bag. I think that's even a step below a tupperware box.

Malimar
2012-04-01, 07:38 AM
I use an altoids tin for the dice I keep in my pocket (the rest are in a gallon ziploc bag in a desk drawer).
Most of my friends use drawstring bags, or else just keep their dice in the boxes they come in.

oxinabox
2012-04-01, 07:41 AM
I have a small metal tin.
something like this, but a different paint job (It's black with some red logo on it. picked it up at an op shop i think)
http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00cveTACGHbkVt/Rectangle-Tin-Can-Tin-Box-Watch-Box-Tool-Box-Scissors-Tin-Box-Knife-Box-Decorative-Box-Perfume-Tin-Box.jpg

That's just got my d10's at the moment, the rest of my dice are kicking around a wooden chest, I don't even know for sure where it is. It's been a while since i used non-D10's)

Radar
2012-04-01, 08:10 AM
I have one in an old faded small plastic bag. I think that's even a step below a tupperware box.
I'm using the same method most of the time. In the old times, when I played Magic, I transported the tine dice bag inside a floppy disc box together with the cards.

Paladineyddi
2012-04-01, 08:51 AM
Leather bag with nordic runes for victory and protection hanging on the straps :D

Lochar
2012-04-01, 08:53 AM
Crown Royal bag.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-04-01, 08:53 AM
I swap to my music app.

Yeah. I use digital dice. I'm cheap.

Halberd
2012-04-01, 08:59 AM
I keep them in an ornate wooden box that is probably about 100 years old and was almost certainly not designed to hold dice.

Kuma Kode
2012-04-01, 09:00 AM
Crown Royal bag.

Yup.

Also, if you buy the bag, you get free alcohol.

Kerrin
2012-04-01, 09:28 AM
The dice I use regularly are in a leather drawstring bag large enough to hold three or four sets.

The rest are in a much larger cloth drawstring bag.

Dimers
2012-04-01, 09:35 AM
Cloth drawstring bag. The string just flies free, which is annoying, but that doesn't release the bag -- it was made specifically for holding dice. There are two "compartments" in the bag, and I use one for dice and the other for tokens and a couple minis. Sadly, the compartments don't seal, and they'll mix if I don't keep the bag more-or-less upright (e.g. hanging by the drawstring). Bought the bag at a FLGS.

dsmiles
2012-04-01, 09:56 AM
Dragon Chow Dice Bags. (http://www.dragonchow.com/zencart/)

Loki_42
2012-04-01, 11:19 AM
One of these Chainmail Dice Bags (http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/games/d562/?pfm=Search&t=Chainmail%20Dice%20Bag).

Mr.Moron
2012-04-01, 12:16 PM
I mostly just leave them lying in the open until my Roommates' cat bats them around and hides them in every small nook & cranny in the house. It's too hard to find them all after that so I just buy more.

I should probably be looking into a new storage solution too.

Jeraa
2012-04-01, 12:28 PM
A plastic frozen juice container. (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Welch-s-Frozen-Strawberry-Breeze-Juice-Concentrate-11.5-fl-oz/10804408)

I'm not going to throw away a perfectly good, reusable plastic container.

warty goblin
2012-04-01, 12:47 PM
A battered old ziplock. Along with the dice I keep a mechanical pencil and a magazine of spare leads in there.

Lord Tyger
2012-04-01, 12:56 PM
Ziploc bag, but only while I wait for the Chain Mail dice bag I've been promised to be finished.

Corolinth
2012-04-01, 01:07 PM
Crown Royal bag.The dice storage of champions.

Bagelson
2012-04-01, 01:08 PM
A leather bag that's probably older than me for most of my dice. Some cloth bags for my D10 sets.

Delvin Darkwood
2012-04-01, 02:50 PM
i use the chessex plastic cube.... things for my main dice, and a big old draw string bag for my surplus.

(why yes, of course i have a favorite set of dice, doesnt everyone?)

The Bandicoot
2012-04-01, 02:50 PM
An old sock of mine with a rubberband wrapped around the top.

OverdrivePrime
2012-04-01, 03:07 PM
I use a nylon mesh bag (http://www.rei.com/product/733359/rei-medium-nylon-mesh-storage-sack-8-x-15) from REI that one of my water purifiers or something came in. The nice thing about it is that it doubles as a sap if you need to settle something with a rules lawyer. :smallbiggrin:

The Bandicoot
2012-04-01, 03:16 PM
The nice thing about it is that it doubles as a sap if you need to settle something with a rules lawyer. :smallbiggrin:

This is why I'm getting metal dice.

Slipperychicken
2012-04-01, 03:38 PM
If you're worried about dice falling out, put the box in a bag. If they spill during travel, they spill into the bag.

I keep mine in a small bag in my backpack/laptop-holder, and use virtual dice-rollers when large numbers of dice are called for (or when I don't feel like counting d6s).

Ravens_cry
2012-04-01, 04:17 PM
I had a drawstring bag, but the dice kept getting loose in my backpack, so now I put them in a little cookie tin.

Adindra
2012-04-01, 04:45 PM
My girlfriend made me a dice bag with a mindflayer/cthulu/octopus on it because she knows i love h.p.lovecraft and cthulu and i havent used anything else to store them since (she also got me a blue d20 to go along with it but im not allowed to roll it while i dm anymore after i rolled 6 or 7 20's for the monsters attacks :smallbiggrin: )

nedz
2012-04-01, 04:50 PM
I use a small metal tin with a tight lid. The sort you get those travel sweets in.

Brauron
2012-04-01, 04:59 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41no8tr5J9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This "Bubba Keg" holds 52 oz. of liquid, or my entire dice collection.

Averis Vol
2012-04-01, 05:04 PM
i use a fuzzy black drawstring sack that came with my headphones. never had a problem with it opening, i normally just single knot it and its good.

Drglenn
2012-04-01, 05:29 PM
I have a bag, in which I keep all but my d10s which was knitted for me by a friend at uni.
My d10s I keep in a smaller pouch I got with a D&D set of dice. Usually this pouch is kept in the main bad, but I play Exalted and other White Wolf systems relatively often so for those situations I just take the pouch.
Oh and I have a set of Warhammer d6s in their original (and quite battered) tin that I mainly use for Shadowrun.

Anderlith
2012-04-01, 06:20 PM
I have one of those cloth/nylon mesh pencilcases that zip open & clip into a three ring binder. I've had it for years & it works great, though I am thinking of getting a Crown Royal bag.

Knaight
2012-04-01, 06:32 PM
I use one of these:
http://www.foodservicedirect.com/productimages/OTF462643S.jpg
The label is removed, leaving a clear plastic cylinder with a pop lid that can be used to pour dice out.

Copper
2012-04-01, 06:46 PM
In a green velvet pouch that I found in a box with my beading stuff in my basement.

Kuma Kode
2012-04-01, 08:13 PM
Reading this thread has informed me just how extremely clever people can be when they need to store a respectable amount of tiny objects.

Lord Loss
2012-04-01, 08:30 PM
These are awesome. I found a slightly better box, but I have a lot of ideas for a more permanent home for my dice... those chainmail bags look pretty epic.

Ravens_cry
2012-04-01, 08:40 PM
Reading this thread has informed me just how extremely clever people can be when they need to store a respectable amount of tiny objects.
Actually, I'd say they are 'Fine':smalltongue:

Omniplex
2012-04-01, 08:55 PM
A few years ago I won a dice bag that was knitted by the president of my college RPing club, and some dice, in a scavenger hunt. I think before that I used a ring box, since I only had a handful.

Siosilvar
2012-04-01, 08:59 PM
I use one of these:
http://www.foodservicedirect.com/productimages/OTF462643S.jpg
The label is removed, leaving a clear plastic cylinder with a pop lid that can be used to pour dice out.

Likewise, except I use this instead:
http://img4.realsimple.com/images/food-recipes/shopping-storing/0608/countrytime-lemonade_300.jpg

Katana_Geldar
2012-04-01, 09:07 PM
I have a leather bag and a D&D bag for my dice.

My "Deadly Dice" that always roll well I keep inside the box they came in. They're good dice.

Straybow
2012-04-02, 01:18 AM
It's only a hundred bucks...

http://www.gunsafes.com/store/i/is.aspx?path=/Shared/images/Gun%20Vault/GV1000.jpg&lr=t&bw=550&bh=550

Coidzor
2012-04-02, 01:31 AM
3 sacks. 1 for d20s, 1 for d6s, and one for d8s, d10s, and d12s.

Togath
2012-04-02, 02:04 AM
I keep most of my dice in an old ziplock bag, though I have kept one set in the little plastic box I bought them in, and I also keep a handful of miniature d6s inside of a little cloth bag that originally held novelty gum that a friend got me as a joke at christmas(the bag is just the right size to fit about 20 miniature dice).

Vizzerdrix
2012-04-02, 02:26 AM
Crown Royal bag.

This. Around here, I see so many gamers using this method I'm surprised the gaming stores just don't sell them.

Ravens_cry
2012-04-02, 06:01 AM
This. Around here, I see so many gamers using this method I'm surprised the gaming stores just don't sell them.
Many gamers past a certain age are more than happy to indulge in the former contents of the bag, something most gaming stores are not prepared legally to facilitate.

MonkeyBusiness
2012-04-02, 06:22 PM
Old tea tins. I have several sets of dice, and many tea tins from around the world.

Oracle_Hunter
2012-04-02, 06:33 PM
I don't usually store dice in bags, but when I do I use this :smallcool:
http://www.killingtime.com/Pegu/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Crown-Royal-Black.jpg

AsteriskAmp
2012-04-02, 06:51 PM
I only buy full sets which happen to come in their little transparent boxes.

Shade Kerrin
2012-04-02, 07:03 PM
Same as the above, I keep mine in the boxes they come in.
Highly inefficient for space, but it is a good effect when I pull them out and lay them out(in order of colour) before each game.
I also leave the d20(or d10s for Anima) in its box when I take them out for use, and just shake it when I need to roll dice. Much easier than crawling under the table because of my over-vigourous rolling once every 5 minutes

Darth Stabber
2012-04-02, 07:17 PM
Crown Royal bag.
http://www.killingtime.com/Pegu/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Crown-Royal-Black.jpg
I got this one because it's easy to tell apart from the mass of purple ones. Though I must admit I prefer the taste of regular.

Ravens_cry
2012-04-02, 07:21 PM
I have a friend who bought that pretty much just for the black bag.
The liquor did go quickly enough though.:smalltongue:

Heatwizard
2012-04-03, 05:08 PM
I built my computer from scratch; the power supply was from Corsair, and happened to come in a big black cloth bag with drawstrings on the top. It's a nicer-quality material then the 75 cent felt bag I was using, and it has a little ship on the front! I don't know if it's prone to spilling, since it only leaves my backpack to get dumped out on the table anyway.

My DM uses a purple Crown Royal bag, seeing as how he's the only one with a dice pile approaching mine in size. (Some people collect stamps or bugs, I collect dice) The bard and cleric both have just a single set of dice in the little clear plastic drawstring bags they came in, and I think the rogue just carries his small handful in his pockets.

TheThan
2012-04-03, 05:45 PM
I keep mine segregated in the little boxes (they’re actually miniature display boxes), they came in. Except for my personal dice, which are blood red and kept in a small leather bag. These are the only ones I won’t let others use. My boxes of D6s and other poly dice I don’t mine loaning out (as long as I get them back).

Mustard
2012-04-04, 03:37 PM
A Ziploc freezer bag (pint or sandwich size, or something). All the benefits of a bag (minimal space, dice don't tumble around much as long as you're careful), while being transparent to allow easy access to dice of specific colors when needed, and it's easy to replace.

HearTheRequiem
2012-04-05, 12:58 PM
I sew my own dice bags from plushie fleece, and I made a set based on the Mane Six from MLP:FIM for my group.
The Rarity one is white with a purple interior and ribbon, the Rainbow Dash one is blue with rainbow ribbon, and so forth, and I embroider the Cutie Marks on too. :smalltongue:

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-04-05, 03:27 PM
Crown Royal bag.

I got this one because it's easy to tell apart from the mass of purple ones. Though I must admit I prefer the taste of regular.

Guilty :smallbiggrin:.

Didn't know it was that common. At least in my gaming group it was pretty original :smallwink:. It is practical, and the purple/black with gold embroidering gives it this wizardy feel. My brother-in-law bought a bottle at the airport when we went to Costa Rica and the first thing I thought was 'dicebag!'

I kept pestering him throughout the holidays:
-Dude, can I have that bag?
-Dude, you didn't throw away the bag, eh?
-Dude, pour me one more! :)