PDA

View Full Version : The Focus Knight: A ToB soulknife fix (Please PEACH!)

Empedocles
2012-04-06, 09:50 PM
The Focus Knight

http://i.imgur.com/RvCgXl.jpg

"You took his weapons? His armor? And you were surprised when that didn't stop him? Fools!"

The focus knight is a quick, lightly armored warrior who draws upon his ki to power his abilities. Ki is existent in everyone, and it generally just provides the body with the energy it needs to survive. However, ki can become far more powerful than that and the focus knight learns how to change the flow of his inner ki and channel it in such a way that he creates abilities like his focus blade.

Adventures: Focus knights adventure for many different reasons, but the main ones that drive them are usually alignment based. Others wish to test out their abilities and prove themselves in combat.

Characteristics: The focus knight is best known for his ability to create a sword made purely out of ki. They have more versatile powers than just that though, for they can channel their key to use abilities from the Sublime Way, to enter a state of supernatural power and speed, and to create blasts of ki energy.

Alignment: Focus knights can be of any alignment, although they tend heavily towards lawful due to the discipline channeling ki requires.

Religion: Focus knights generally worship gods of similar ideas and alignments. In Eberron, the Path of Light has a small following of focus knight worshippers.

Background: Focus knights never discover their power on their own, but instead are taught at small monasteries. Many begin their training as monks but are pulled out when their true potential is realized.

Races: Elves, due to their general connection with the world around them, produce more focus knights than any other race. Humans, due to their versatility, are also fairly common focus knights. Dwarves make up a surprisingly large number of focus knights as well since they're generally very disciplined and, well, grounded.

Other Classes: Focus knights identify best with other ki using classes like ninjas, monks, and sohei. They respect magicians and manifesters as well as shapers and initiators, but often hold normal melee classes in relatively low regard unless they prove themselves otherwise.

Role: Focus knights are front line fighters whose main advantage (over other melee classes) is incredible mobility. They can't just sit there and suck up damage and block hits like, say, a fighter or a barbarian, but as long as they keep moving they're more effective than either of them.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Focus knight's have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Strength and dexterity are both important to the focus knight since he's a front line combatant, if a sort of quick, light armored one. Wisdom is also important for his (relatively limited) maneuvers.
Alignment: Any, but usually lawful.
Hit Die: d10
Starting Age: As fighter.
Starting Gold: As fighter.

Class Skills
The focus knight's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are...
Climb, Concentration, Craft, Hide, Iaijutsu Focus, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Sense Motive, Spot, and Tumble.

Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Focus Knight
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances Known

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Focus Blade, Burst Strike, Weapon Focus (Focus Blade)|1|1|0

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|Focus Blast +1d6, Ki Frenzy 1/day|1|1|0

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+3|Free Draw, Focus Blade Enhancement +1|2|1|0

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+4|Improved Initiative, Skirmish (+1d6)|2|1|0

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+4|Fast Movement +10 feet, Ki Frenzy 2/day|3|1|0

6th|
+6|
+2|
+5|
+5|Focus Blast +2d6, Focus Blade Enhancement +2|3|2|0

7th|
+7|
+2|
+5|
+5|Multiple Throw, Skirmish (+1d6, +1 AC)|4|2|0

8th|
+8|
+2|
+6|
+6|Focus Blade Enhancement +3, Ki Frenzy 3/day|4|2|1

9th|
+9|
+3|
+6|
+6|Skirmish (+2d6, +1 AC)|5|3|1

10th|
+10|
+3|
+7|
+7|Focus Blast +3d6|5|3|1

11th|
+11|
+3|
+7|
+7|Evasion|6|3|1

12th|
+12|
+4|
+8|
+8|Focus Blade Enhancement +4, Ki Frenzy 4/day|6|4|1

13th|
+13|
+4|
+8|
+8|Skirmish (+2d6, +2 AC)|6|4|1

14th|
+14|
+4|
+9|
+9|Focus Blast +4d6|7|4|2

15th|
+15|
+5|
+9|
+9|Focus Blade Enhancement +5, Ki Frenzy 5/day|7|5|2

16th|
+16|
+5|
+10|
+10|Skirmish (+3d6, +2 AC), Improved Evasion|8|5|2

17th|
+17|
+5|
+10|
+10|Fast Movement +20 feet|8|5|2

18th|
+18|
+6|
+11|
+11|Focus Blast +5d6|9|6|2

19th|
+19|
+6|
+11|
+11|Skirmish (+3d6, +3 AC)|9|6|2

20th|
+20|
+6|
+12|
+12|Focus Blade Enhancement +6, Ki Frenzy 6/day|10|6|3[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the focus knight.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The focus knight is proficient with simple weapons, light armor, and shields (but not tower shields). In addition, he's proficient with his Focus Blade no matter what form it takes.

Focus Blade: This ability is identical to the soulknife's mind blade ability with a few exceptions. Instead of taking the form of a short sword, an incarnum blade can take any the form of any weapon associated with his known disciplines. In addition, it does not take a power point to create.

Burst Strike: A focus knight can, as a move action a number of times per day equal to his wisdom modifier, make an Iaijutsu Focus check. His next attack with his focus blade deals additional damage according to the Iaijutsu Focus table even if he doesn't catch his enemy flat-footed. Even if the focus knight misses with this attack a use of the ability is expended.

Maneuvers: A focus knight can learn maneuvers from the Desert Wind, Diamond Mind, Setting Sun, and Shadow Hand disciplines. A focus knight can recover all of his expended maneuvers as a move action which must be followed by an attack with his focus blade. In addition, anytime a soulblade enters a ki frenzy he chooses 1 maneuver to recover.

Weapon Focus: At 1st level the focus knight receives weapon focus with his focus blade as a bonus feat. (so much focus!)

Ki Frenzy: This ability is identical to the sohei ability of the same name, and progresses as indicated on the table above. A focus knight can still use his maneuvers while frenzying.

Focus Blast: At 2nd level the focus knight can "shoot" his focus blade off of his hand in a huge blast that uses up all of the energy in the blade. This requires a ranged touch attack, and it deals damage as if he'd hit with his focus blade plus additional damage according to the table above.

Free Draw: From 3rd level onward the focus knight can create his focus blade as a free action instead of a move action.

Focus Blade Enhancement: At 3rd level a focus knight's focus blade is treated as a +1 weapon. This bonus increases as shown on the table above, but it does not allow him to bypass the normal limits on enhancement bonuses. Unlike the soulknife, a focus knight can apply any special ability that he wants to his focus blade (provided it works with the bonus) whenever he manifests it.

Improved Initiative: At 4th level a focus knight gains Improved Initiative as a bonus feat.

Skirmish: This ability functions identically to the scout ability of the same name. However, it progresses according to the table above.

Fast Movement: At 5th level a focus knight gains a +10 bonus to speed. The bonus increases to +20 at 17th level. He looses this bonus if he wears medium or heavier armor.

Evasion: At 11th level the focus knight gains evasion, as a rogue. This improves to Improved Evasion at 16th level.

Switched incarnum for ki and maneuvers. Hope you like :smallsmile: Added fluff, although I'm not sure I like it. Needs work...PEACH please.

Empedocles
2012-04-06, 10:03 PM
reserved for azurin sub levels

Jodah
2012-04-06, 10:54 PM
The main problem seems to be that you are treating essentia like power points. Essentia is not spent but invested. You may want to rework burst to work on how many points are invested (which could also up the die size of the blade itself). I would also grant hand chakra at level one (perhaps binding the blade grants burst).

Effectively make the blade a incarnum lblade a meld that looks like this:
Incarnum Blade
Descriptors: [What ever you want to put here, probably none]
Classes: Soulblade
Chakra: Hands
Saving throw: none

The incarnum blade is the go to weapon for soulblades. It grants a manufactured magic weapon that can deal slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning damage as the soulblade chooses when he shapes the blade, when he also chooses what size the weapon will be (if it is a light weapon, he can shape 2). These choices can also be changed as part of the same swift action to reassign your essentia. An incarnum blade deals 1d6 damage.

Essentia: The damage dealt by the incarnum blade increases as though it increased a size category (though it remains whatever size was chosen).

Chakra bind (hands): When you bind the incarnum blade to your hands you can add an additional 1d6 damage to the blade for every point of essentia you invest in it, though only for a number of rounds per day equal to your meldshaper level. Also, you may launch the blade at a single target, but afterwards you must re-invest the essentia the following round. If choose to use this ability, the blade deals an additional 1d6, in addition to the burst.

I guess the main thing is that I am confused by what you want burst to do and I am trying to offer options to make it work better. I think the meld above does what you are trying to do, but utilizes the incarnum system's elegance. One thing - as written in the meld , the burst can only get up to 4d6, but the blade can get up to 3d6 so the total is the same.

As for the other abilities, make the enhancements to the incarnum blade meld.

Empedocles
2012-04-06, 11:01 PM
Oops.
----------------------------------
I made an incarnum class while forgetting how incarnum works. Geez...that's bad. Y'know what...I think I might just change this to Psionically based and make it a straight up soulknife fix..........

Ugh. I screwed up :eek:

Empedocles
2012-04-06, 11:46 PM
Okay fixed it the lazy way:

Replaced incarnum with ToB. I actually like this more, but it needs fluff...

I'll make an incarnum based guy at some point...

Frog Dragon
2012-04-07, 06:13 AM
Poor guy has no recovery method right now.

Empedocles
2012-04-07, 09:18 AM
Poor guy has no recovery method right now.

Woops! Thanks good catch :smallsmile:

SinsI
2012-04-07, 10:35 AM
Isn't it a bit too powerful? Compare it to Fighter(same BAB and hit points): two good saves, more skills and skill points, lack of martial weapons doesn't matter because of Soul Blade, lack of heavy armor is compensated by Skirmish, fighter bonus feats are actually worse than ToB maneuvers - and he also has almost the best abilities of both rogue and barbarian...

Empedocles
2012-04-07, 10:36 AM
Isn't it a bit too powerful? Compare it to Fighter(same BAB and hit points): two good saves, more skills and skill points, lack of martial weapons doesn't matter because of Soul Blade, lack of heavy armor is compensated by Skirmish, fighter bonus feats are actually worse than ToB maneuvers - and he also has almost the best abilities of both rogue and barbarian...

Those are all Tier 5 classes though...I was going for about mid Tier 3.

danzibr
2012-04-07, 01:03 PM
Well, in the "Abilities" thing you refer to it as a Soulblade rather than Focus Knight. Same in maneuvers.

Also, the green dude has really funny buttcheeks in the picture.

The focus blade enhancement thing isn't totally clear to me. For one thing, there is nothing in the table called "focus blade enhancement." It looks like, at level 20 for example, whenever they form their focus blade they choose any weapon associated with their discipline, it's +1, and they can distribute the other +5 amongst abilities or just straight up + attack/damage? Except you can't make it just +6 attack/damage. If you're shooting for tier 3, that seems a little weak. But then again, comparing this to, say, a Warblade, which is solid tier 3, they are picking up a good bit of free stuff and not losing too much.

As far as suggestions go, the only thing that comes to mind (because I have no clue on the balance) would be to either split the "focus blade +6" to be more like "+x focus blade" and "focus blade enhancement +x."

Empedocles
2012-04-07, 01:17 PM
Well, in the "Abilities" thing you refer to it as a Soulblade rather than Focus Knight. Same in maneuvers.

Also, the green dude has really funny buttcheeks in the picture.

The focus blade enhancement thing isn't totally clear to me. For one thing, there is nothing in the table called "focus blade enhancement." It looks like, at level 20 for example, whenever they form their focus blade they choose any weapon associated with their discipline, it's +1, and they can distribute the other +5 amongst abilities or just straight up + attack/damage? Except you can't make it just +6 attack/damage. If you're shooting for tier 3, that seems a little weak. But then again, comparing this to, say, a Warblade, which is solid tier 3, they are picking up a good bit of free stuff and not losing too much.

As far as suggestions go, the only thing that comes to mind (because I have no clue on the balance) would be to either split the "focus blade +6" to be more like "+x focus blade" and "focus blade enhancement +x."

It was originally called the soulblade. When I converted it from incarnum to ToB I forgot to change it there :smallfrown:

I changed the +x focus blade in the table to focus blade enhancement +x for clarities sake.

The splitting of the enhancements idea is interesting. I'll think about it :smallsmile:

Thanks for the suggestions! And yeah, the green dude has buttcheeks :smallwink:

danzibr
2012-04-07, 01:30 PM
It was originally called the soulblade. When I converted it from incarnum to ToB I forgot to change it there :smallfrown:

I changed the +x focus blade in the table to focus blade enhancement +x for clarities sake.

The splitting of the enhancements idea is interesting. I'll think about it :smallsmile:

Thanks for the suggestions! And yeah, the green dude has buttcheeks :smallwink:
FYI, the formatting in levels 12 and 15 got wonky.

And hey, just noticed you called the focus blade an incarnum blade.

Might want to change "a Iaijutsu Focus check" to "an Iaijutsu Focus check." And on the same line, are we talking catching the enemy flat-footed?

Well, I was about to delve into certain abilities and stuff, but rather than trying to compare it to Warblade, I think we should see the fluff first. Getting Iaijutsu Focus and Ki Frenzy and Skirmish and Evasion and a focus blade in addition to Fast Movement and maneuvers is cool, but... well, it'd be nice to see fluff. I am a huge fan of fluff over crunch. Then I'll take a deeper look.

Empedocles
2012-04-07, 01:32 PM
FYI, the formatting in levels 12 and 15 got wonky.

And hey, just noticed you called the focus blade an incarnum blade.

Might want to change "a Iaijutsu Focus check" to "an Iaijutsu Focus check." And on the same line, are we talking catching the enemy flat-footed?

Well, I was about to delve into certain abilities and stuff, but rather than trying to compare it to Warblade, I think we should see the fluff first. Getting Iaijutsu Focus and Ki Frenzy and Skirmish and Evasion and a focus blade in addition to Fast Movement and maneuvers is cool, but... well, it'd be nice to see fluff. I am a huge fan of fluff over crunch. Then I'll take a deeper look.

Geez...I can't get my brain to work for this class!

I'll add fluff now. Also, for an iaijutsu focus check, the idea is that he can get the bonus to damage without catching the enemy flat footed a certain number of times per day.

Beowulf DW
2012-04-07, 01:37 PM
Just wanted to point out that your terminology is going in all sorts of directions. I know that's probably because you're still editing this, but I just want you to keep it in mind going forward.

danzibr
2012-04-07, 01:38 PM
Geez...I can't get my brain to work for this class!

I'll add fluff now. Also, for an iaijutsu focus check, the idea is that he can get the bonus to damage without catching the enemy flat footed a certain number of times per day.
Oh yeah. I just meant to change

Burst Strike: A focus knight can, as a move action a number of times per day equal to his wisdom modifier, make a Iaijutsu Focus check. His next attack with his focus blade deals additional damage according to the Iaijutsu Focus table even if he doesn't catch his enemy. Even if the focus knight misses with this attack a use of the ability is expended.
to

Burst Strike: A focus knight can, as a move action a number of times per day equal to his wisdom modifier, make an Iaijutsu Focus check. His next attack with his focus blade deals additional damage according to the Iaijutsu Focus table even if he doesn't catch his enemy flat-footed. Even if the focus knight misses with this attack a use of the ability is expended.
I'm just nitpicking.

Empedocles
2012-04-07, 02:25 PM
Just wanted to point out that your terminology is going in all sorts of directions. I know that's probably because you're still editing this, but I just want you to keep it in mind going forward.

Yeah this needs a thorough edit...I was very tired when I made it. Sorry.

danzibr
2012-04-07, 09:46 PM
Ah-ha, I see. So a Soulknife makes their weapon from their mind, an Incarnate makes their weapon from their soul (soul energy in general), and a Focus Knight makes their weapon from their spirit energy. I just realized you could make a silly pun and call it a ki blade :P

And now to actually look at the balance and flow of this class. Note I will be comparing the mechanics both to its flavor and, in my opinion, the golden standard of tier 3 melee, the Warblade.

I should also mention... sorry if any of my suggestions offend. I'm trying to do some constructive criticism here, but some of it may just come off as, well, criticism.

First of all, having the name "Knight" in the title invokes imagery (at least in my mind) of the heavily-armored dude with a code of conduct. You miiiiiiight want to consider a name change. Up to you.

I noticed your second post still says reserved for Azurin sub levels. Based on the flavor, you might want to make Elf sub levels or something.

And now, before suggesting any changes regarding crunch, let's compare this puppy to the Warblade. The following will look like (what Warblade has) v. (what Focus Knight has):

d12 v. d10
4 bonus feats v. Weapon Focus and Improved Initiative
Uncanny dodge v. Evasion (I guess these can be compared)
nothing v. Fast Movement
nothing v. Skirmish
nothing v. Focus Blade
nothing v. weak form of berserk (quite weak)
nothing v. free Iaijutsu Focus damage
nothing v. ranged touch attack* (more on this later)
cool Int stuff v. nothing
cool capstone v. nothing
13/7/4 ToB stuff v. 10/5/3 ToB stuff

First of all, what's Multiple Throw? Does that let you do Focus Blast more often? Speaking of which (the * above), is Focus Blast a standard action or something? This needs to be clarified.

Considering the Skirmish has a slow progression and unless you do some crazy skill optimization the Iaijutsu Focus won't be adding on too much damage. As for maneuvers, I've only worked with a Warblade and they only have Diamond Mind in common, but... well, the above numbers are only looking at level 20. The Focus Knight gets some slow progression, and knowing fewer maneuvers and stances makes it harder to fulfill prereq's for learning the better ones, at least in multiple disciplines.

As far as the Focus Knight's main feature, the Focus Blade, at level 20 it's a +6 weapon (from the above disciplines) that can be formed as a free action, and it's abilities can be changed every time it's formed. The versatility is nice, but ultimately it's quite weak.

Long story short, it seems to me, all things considered, the Warblade is stronger, so... no worries of it being OP.

Moving intro crunch, I would actually suggest dropping the hit die down to d8. Seems to fit the mobile warrior more.

For skills, I'd say add Martial Lore.

For saves, I don't see why Will is good. If anything, Fort and Red seems good.

The maneuvers known progresses nicely, but maneuvers readied and stances known don't. There are 7 levels with 0 stances known, then 6 for 1 known, 4 for 2 known, 3 for 3 known.

They get Evasion and Improved Evasion quite late.

To be perfectly honest, I think the Focus Blade needs some buffing. Maybe something like having to pay gold and experience to make it stronger, but getting it up to +8 or +9 or +10 would be better. Also, it'd be nice to be able to form two of them, maybe with a -1 enhancement penalty each.

Oh, and a cool capstone would make taking it 1-20 more appealing.

Hope at least some of this helps.

Empedocles
2012-04-07, 10:03 PM
Ah-ha, I see. So a Soulknife makes their weapon from their mind, an Incarnate makes their weapon from their soul (soul energy in general), and a Focus Knight makes their weapon from their spirit energy. I just realized you could make a silly pun and call it a ki blade :P

And now to actually look at the balance and flow of this class. Note I will be comparing the mechanics both to its flavor and, in my opinion, the golden standard of tier 3 melee, the Warblade.

I should also mention... sorry if any of my suggestions offend. I'm trying to do some constructive criticism here, but some of it may just come off as, well, criticism.

First of all, having the name "Knight" in the title invokes imagery (at least in my mind) of the heavily-armored dude with a code of conduct. You miiiiiiight want to consider a name change. Up to you.

I noticed your second post still says reserved for Azurin sub levels. Based on the flavor, you might want to make Elf sub levels or something.

And now, before suggesting any changes regarding crunch, let's compare this puppy to the Warblade. The following will look like (what Warblade has) v. (what Focus Knight has):

d12 v. d10
4 bonus feats v. Weapon Focus and Improved Initiative
Uncanny dodge v. Evasion (I guess these can be compared)
nothing v. Fast Movement
nothing v. Skirmish
nothing v. Focus Blade
nothing v. weak form of berserk (quite weak)
nothing v. free Iaijutsu Focus damage
nothing v. ranged touch attack* (more on this later)
cool Int stuff v. nothing
cool capstone v. nothing
13/7/4 ToB stuff v. 10/5/3 ToB stuff

First of all, what's Multiple Throw? Does that let you do Focus Blast more often? Speaking of which (the * above), is Focus Blast a standard action or something? This needs to be clarified.

Considering the Skirmish has a slow progression and unless you do some crazy skill optimization the Iaijutsu Focus won't be adding on too much damage. As for maneuvers, I've only worked with a Warblade and they only have Diamond Mind in common, but... well, the above numbers are only looking at level 20. The Focus Knight gets some slow progression, and knowing fewer maneuvers and stances makes it harder to fulfill prereq's for learning the better ones, at least in multiple disciplines.

As far as the Focus Knight's main feature, the Focus Blade, at level 20 it's a +6 weapon (from the above disciplines) that can be formed as a free action, and it's abilities can be changed every time it's formed. The versatility is nice, but ultimately it's quite weak.

Long story short, it seems to me, all things considered, the Warblade is stronger, so... no worries of it being OP.

Moving intro crunch, I would actually suggest dropping the hit die down to d8. Seems to fit the mobile warrior more.

For skills, I'd say add Martial Lore.

For saves, I don't see why Will is good. If anything, Fort and Red seems good.

The maneuvers known progresses nicely, but maneuvers readied and stances known don't. There are 7 levels with 0 stances known, then 6 for 1 known, 4 for 2 known, 3 for 3 known.

They get Evasion and Improved Evasion quite late.

To be perfectly honest, I think the Focus Blade needs some buffing. Maybe something like having to pay gold and experience to make it stronger, but getting it up to +8 or +9 or +10 would be better. Also, it'd be nice to be able to form two of them, maybe with a -1 enhancement penalty each.

Oh, and a cool capstone would make taking it 1-20 more appealing.

Hope at least some of this helps.

Glad to have a full PEACH. Seriously, thanks. Quite frankly, this was some of my clumsiest homebrewing...I've done much better, but despite that I'm not going to use it as an excuse. I started it, and it's rough, but it can be fixed.

The Azurin sub levels are simply because this was originally an incarnum based class. As is now, the focus knight makes no sense having azurin substitution levels.

Glad to hear it's not hitting the Tier 2 range :smallsmile:

I'm happy with Evasion and Improved Evasion being late. Don't know why, but that actually clicks for me.

Maneuvers readied and stances known need to be fixed. Sorry :smallfrown: I'm not sure how best to do that, but I'm thinking for maneuvers readied he can ready approx. 1/2 of his maneuvers. He won't ever learn more than 3 stances though (I think I have it at 4 right now).

Focus blade does need more buffing. Agreed. I might add in separate +x to the focus blade and than have +x worth of enhancements (as you suggested). Probably have a +x weapon go up to +5, and the enhancements up to +4.

I'll consider dropping the HD down...not sure though. That depends on how strong he is once I edit him fully. The full revision probably won't be up until at least later tomorrow though.

Again, thanks for the PEACH.

EDIT: Capstone will be designed after I do the full revision. I'm fixing my fix here...

LrdoftheRngs
2012-04-08, 10:36 AM
Considering that the whole thing is focus-based, I would say give it more concentration-based abilities. Maybe that capstone at 20 could be some really powerful blast that needs charging up before you use it?

Empedocles
2012-04-08, 11:49 PM
Considering that the whole thing is focus-based, I would say give it more concentration-based abilities. Maybe that capstone at 20 could be some really powerful blast that needs charging up before you use it?

That's interesting, but it might be obsolete considering the type of blasting damage wizards can call up at a moments notice.