PDA

View Full Version : The Charges Shall Now Be Read...

Reltzik
2012-04-07, 11:23 AM
The rules:

1: Take a mid-to-long-running game (DnD or other) that you GMed or played in.
2: Present the long list of betrayals, capital offenses, treasons, minor traffic violations, etc, that the party (or its individual members) has inevitably committed as a list of charges being read at a trial, war-crime tribunal, or whatever.
3: For each charge, have the party respond with a brief one-line plea or defense, which can be straight or silly.

Example:

"Murder of a guard on level 32."
"He had information we needed! ... and I fumbled the mind reading spell."

"Improper disposal of sentient remains."
"We thought the ceremony at the level 32 garbage disposal was somber and dignified, thank you."

"Entering a restricted area."
"We were being chased by people trying to kidnap us!"

"Failure to stop when ordered by law enforcement."
"... oh, right, that's who was chasing us. You guys prefer the word 'apprehend' to 'kidnap'. Right."

"Grand Theft Spelljammer."
"My only defense is utter awesomeness."

Averis Vol
2012-04-07, 11:38 AM
oh wow, gonna be quite a list:

vandalism of a wizards house:
"his door broke my foot, did you think i wasn't going to break it with my hammer?"
threatening a mayors life:
"my bardic music didn't work, and he knew i knew he knew what i wanted!"
Public beheading of a blacksmith:
"he looked JUST LIKE the bard i was hired to murder"
burning down a necromancers castle:
"how was i supposed to know the fire would only make the zombies harder to kill?"
rape((?) might have been consensual):
"the bard was asking for it, just look how he was dressed!"
burning down a continent:
"this is why we never told the cleric about flamestrike in the first place"
holding up a ship at gnome point to avoid paying the boarding fee:
"okay, i was drunk for this one. it seemed like a brilliant idea at the time"
joining a crew of brigand pirates on the lamb:
"the captain offered me his hat if i helped him. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN SUCH A BEAUTIFUL HAT?!?"
vandalism by way of flaming troll:
"you can never be truly sure a trolls dead unless you see it lit on firea nd fall a hundred feet off of a mountain....and completely crush an elementary school"

theres alot more, after all this is only the first 8 levels, but this is enough clutter.

Madara
2012-04-07, 11:43 AM
public nudity
"Its bob's fault, he wanted to be a druid with a loin cloth!"
fleeing the seen
"Not our fault, most NPCs either lecture us or try to kill us."
Hate crimes against the goblin race
"They looked like they were going to attack!"
An assassination of the King of Sharn
"He was wearing all white, definitely a bad guy!"

Lord Raziere
2012-04-07, 12:02 PM
Destroying most of your mothers house with a wand of fireballs:
"I saw a dire rat, I needed to destroy it"

throwing the fighter out of a zeppelin:
"It was accident! I thought he was a bomb!"

storing the paladin in a barrel:
"It was to keep him safe, and put my L on it!"

Storing the paladin in a barrel, again:
"He was unconscious due to his own stupidity, again it was to keep him safe."

Jay R
2012-04-07, 01:02 PM
You deliberately gave false testimony to law enforcement officials, to preserve property that wasn't yours.
"The droids were sent to me by the princess. We had to keep them."

Then you took an impressionable lad into a bar - the most wretched hive of scum and villainy on the planet.
"We needed to book passage on a ship. That was the only place to do it (except for a travel agency or the port or a docking station or ...."

Then you escalated a bar fight by drawing and wielding a deadly weapon, cutting off somebody's entire arm.
"It's a more elegant weapon, from a more civilized age."

Then your companion shot somebody just for sitting down at his table.
"He was a bounty hunter; Han had to shoot first."

You committed vandalism, disabling a perfectly good tractor bean that didn't belong to you.
"We had to disable it to escape."

You helped release an important prisoner, guilty of treason against the empire.
"We were traveling with her brother. It was just an excess of filial devotion."

Finally, you used vile necromantic arts to send a message from beyond the grave, telling a young man how to destroy an important government installation.
"Beyond what grave? Show me any evidence of my death - a corpse, a grave, anything."

I repeat, you told a young man how to destroy an important government installation.
"In fact, I told him to turn off his targeting computer. It's sheer dumb luck that he made the shot without it."

kieza
2012-04-07, 02:56 PM
Trespassing on House Cannith property
"Our warforged wanted to inquire about his warranty."

Impersonating an officer of the Karrnathi military
"In our defense, we had 10 minutes of Glibness left. What did you expect us to do, let it go to waste?"

Defacement of Xen'Drik ruins
"Self-defense."

Looting of Xen'Drik ruins
"Well, after we self-defensed them to death, we decided to salvage anything of historical importance."

Piracy
"What, does looting a pirate ship count as piracy too?"

From a different campaign:

Tresspassing and 14 counts of assault with a deadly weapon
"Well of course we were trespassing! Those mercenaries had their own little stronghold, so it would've been really hard to kill them without crossing the property line."

Manslaughter
"In all fairness, the hostage taker should have died with the first knife. It's not my fault he managed to kill the hostage before he bled out."

Grievous property damage
"Actually, the warjack took out most of the walls trying to kill us. We just collapsed the roof on top of it."

Graverobbing
"Technically, the body dug its own way out of the grave. We just mugged a zombie."

Religious hate crimes
"Hey, we had to get rid of the blood-sigils somehow. It's just, we only had a flamethrower, and we didn't realize the demons drew them over the frieze of God creating the universe..."

And in a third campaign

Impersonating a police officer, false arrest, false police brutality, and race-oriented hate crimes
"Well, we had to find that damned halfling assassin, and he was hiding in a halfling pride parade, and they wouldn't tell us where he was, so we had to beat it out of them. You know how the shorties stick together...this isn't helping my case, is it?"

Unlicensed demolitions, bank robbery
"It's not our fault that warjack blew up while standing next to the vault door. If the timer hadn't been a dud, our demolition charge would have blown it up outside that antique shop."

Sedition
"We don't actually have anything against the Victan empress. We just needed something really bad from this mad scientist, and it turned out later he had revolutionary sympathies, and at that point we would have had to kill a bunch of people anyways if we backed out, so we decided to go ahead and kill the soldiers rather than the civilians."

Necroticplague
2012-04-07, 08:21 PM
I'll start with the war crimes.

Attacking military noncombat personnel
"As opposed to what, am I just supposed to let their clerics keep healing their soldiers?"

Genocide
" 'Genocide' implies I only killed certain kinds of things, what I did was closer to 'omnicide' ."

Terrorism
"That was not terrorism, that was shock-and-awe tactics, a perfectly valid military strategy."

Targeting civilians
"Those smiths were making weapons and armor for the opposing army, taking them out was a tactical attempt to destroy the chain of supply, another valid strategy."

Desecration of corpses
"An army marches on it's belly. I needed to find ways to stretch our ration supplies, and this giant amount of meat that would otherwise rot and go to waste was a convenient source of food. In addition, once again, valid shock-and awe tactics, nothing scares an enemy like watching their friend get torn to pieces."

Sith_Happens
2012-04-08, 06:30 AM
You deliberately gave false testimony to law enforcement officials, to preserve property that wasn't yours.

Then you took an impressionable lad into a bar - the most wretched hive of scum and villainy on the planet.
"We needed to book passage on a ship. That was the only place to do it (except for a travel agency or the port or a docking station or ...."

Then you escalated a bar fight by drawing and wielding a deadly weapon, cutting off somebody's entire arm.

You committed vandalism, disabling a perfectly good tractor bean that didn't belong to you.

Finally, you used vile necromantic arts to send a message from beyond the grave, telling a young man how to destroy an important government installation.
"Beyond what grave? Show me any evidence of my death - a corpse, a grave, anything."

I repeat, you told a young man how to destroy an important government installation.
"In fact, I told him to turn off his targeting computer. It's sheer dumb luck that he made the shot without it."

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wKVJXvn8-Lg/Rv0dnEC23XI/AAAAAAAAAI8/MYk1GHTZRvY/s400/seal.gif

The Underlord
2012-04-09, 04:54 PM

Emphasis mine
Lol wut?

Jergmo
2012-04-09, 06:15 PM
Last campaign, the party leader: Hot-headed tiefling Shadowdancer.

Lisia Enren, we hereby find you guilty of... what do you have to say for your actions?

CIVIL

Comparative negligence.
"I have no idea what you're talking about."

Culpable negligence.
"I didn't do it. The assassins sent after the princess did."

Defamation of character.
"She's not my queen."

Attractive nuisance.
"I can't help that everyone wants to be like me."

CRIMINAL

Desertion (abandoning her post as local militia).
"Wait, seriously? I was going to save the queen!"

Posing falsely as a legal official, interrogating war criminals and allowing one of them to escape through incompetence.
"I'm offended. You, sir, are offensive."

Harboring a war criminal (enemy leader).
"... Acantha? She helped us save the world!"

Harboring a rogue mage (accused of heinous necromancy)
"Vesil ALSO helped me save the world."

Multiple counts of disgracing a public official.
"Bitch had it coming."

Destruction of government property.
"Please be specific."

Violation of quarantine to prevent nation-wide plague.
"That's a crime?"

Consorting with devils.
"It was either that, or die and release an ancient demon who would've plunged the world into eternal darkness."

Consorting with a war criminal plotting to assassinate the queen.
"... well, she died eventually, didn't she?"

Conspiracy to commit treason.
"Now wait just a second! If I wanted to kill Queen Adela, she'd be dead already!"

Aiding a fugitive (Allowed a yuan-ti halfblood to escape after being given information).
"You know what, back on that last one, that was probably NOT the right thing to say."

Aiding a fugitive (her father and his lackey, smugglers and murderers).
"They helped us save Queen Aceline, what the hell's your problem with that?"

Treason (denouncing the queen).
"What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?"

Conspiracy to kidnap and corrupt an innocent.
"Guilty as charged."

Negotiating with enemies of the state.
"I ... wait, shouldn't I have a counsel or something? Why am I representing myself?"

Vigilantism.
"Oh yeah? Well, while we're at it, I charge you with grand espionage!"

Also endangering the world, nearly releasing an ancient imprisoned evil by attempting suicide.
"Did not. I was just playing with the dark reaver powder in my mouth."

...And theft/breaking and entering. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArsonMurderAndJaywalking)
"Is this about the time we broke into the palace?"

Ganara
2012-04-09, 07:25 PM
Lisia Enren, we hereby find you guilty of... what do you have to say for your actions?

As the player of Lisia Enren, I would like to note that all of these crimes were wholly justified. Especially the conspiracy to commit kidnapping. That little girl was SO PRECIOUS!

DigoDragon
2012-04-10, 07:16 AM
I shall now read the charges of the party group I'm DMing over-

1. Breaking & entering the Tower of Boccob, killing all defenders, and flooding the basement with seawater.
"In our defense, that tower was mezmerizing the city's citizens. And considering the new beachfront property, land values did double."

2. Grand theft of a holy relic of the god Bahamut.
"We gave it back... slightly used."

3. Willful sale of dangerous alien weaponry under the guise of mundane equipment.
"To be fair, we didn't know the cult shopped at that particular WalMart."

4. Accessory to the crime of the destruction of a metropolitan area.
"You have to admit that it looked cool for the week that city was flying."

5. Shagging the airship captain with promises of grand adventure and then breaking her heart as you left her behind for other places.
"...I'm not apologizing."

TechnoScrabble
2012-04-10, 11:36 AM
Bring forth the defendant, a certain PFC Franklin Bishop.
"Feck off!"

Kidnapping.
"Her mother was a corrupted fetch!"

Theft.
"Had to get a shotgun somehow."

Murder.
"He was a loyalist changeling."

No, the other murder.
"If this isn't chronomological, you're gonna have to be more specific."

Vehicular Manslaughter
"That was murder. Fun fact, trolls don't like old fords hiting them at 67 miles per hour."

Arson
"They don't like fire, either."

Conspiracy to commit murder
"Is it even possible to murder a bloke without thinking about murdering him? I mean, manslaughter mebbe, but-"

Resisting Arrest
"Don't touch me."

Destruction of Government Property
"I said don't touch me, din't I?"

Vandalism
"I prefer 'smashed patrol cars and carbon pencil on brick wall canvas'"

Threatening Assault
"He yelled at the little girl."

Jaywalking
"Seriously?"

Contempt of Court
"I have nothing BUT contempt for this court!"

Dr Bwaa
2012-04-10, 02:41 PM
Oh my... this is a great thread topic. Loving everything so far.

I'll probably be able to go on basically forever with just one campaign. Here's a list from one memorable encounter (detailed here (two (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12342677&postcount=7) parts (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12623880&postcount=16)) if you're curious):

Disorderly Conduct
That riot was only a distraction so you wouldn't stop us from-- SHHH!

Aggravated Assault, Battery
Look, the guards attacked us.

Voluntary Manslaughter
I told you already, they started it!

Second Degree Murder
How many times are we going to go over this?

First Degree Murder
Is it really just a murder charge when there are eight hundred victims? Surely you can come up with something more creative.

Okay, then, Mass Murder of Underage Civilians
That's a little more like it, I suppose.

Conspiracy to Commit Murder
Only if you get us on the Murder One charges.

Treason, Destruction of Government Property, Conspiracy to Commit Treason
It was an old tower. Sometimes things break!

Vandalism
He threw me out his own window.

Defamation of Character
Really? We don't even have a Queen.

Sorcery (the ability to cast spontaneous magic is punishable by execution without trial)
I bet you'll see some more before the day is out.

Resisting Arrest
An unlawful arrest by a corrupt government is no arrest at all!

But as we're the ones trying you, let's assume it was a legitimate arrest...
Look at these charges. Wouldn't you resist?

Telonius
2012-04-10, 03:54 PM
Serial destruction of religious statues and other acts of iconoclasm.
Do you have any idea how many statues have attacked us in the last three weeks?

Defenestration occurring in the tower above the town square. Littering on the town square.
Anyone who lives in a tower and doesn't have a Ring of Feather Fall is just asking for it.

Logician
2012-04-10, 05:26 PM
I DMed, the campaign was somewhere around two years long.

Charges in chronological order:

1. Murder of a lieutenant.
-Charged party has already been executed for his crimes-
2. Threatening a captain of an allied force
"Hey! We earned that loot!"
3. Conspiracy with a hostile force
"Well how were we to know he would blow up a mountain!?"
4. Failure to alert general of danger
"Ok, we forgot he might need to know about the mountain thing. Our bad."
5. Failure to follow orders on the battlefield
"We had orders?"
6. Grand Theft
"Hey! We earned that loot!"
7. A bunch of stuff involving the assassination of a king that are kind of forgiven seeing as the king's nation was at war with them, so charges are ambiguous and dropped.
8. Endangerment of a celestial being
"Well it ended well, and we were kinda forced into it. Totally dropped the ball with the rod of celestial bane being thrown right into the devil's hands though, our bad."
9. Sacrilege
"We were pretty sure it was an evil god, and we were right.
10. Greatly accelerating the awakening of an incomprehensibly evil and effectively omnipotent more-than-god without the slightest provocation.
". . .
It seemed like a good idea at the time?"
11. Use of an armageddon artifact.
"Hey, they angel gave us permission."
12. Failure to responsibly take care of said artifact.
"Well the angel may have had to sacrifice its life because of our screw-up to save the world but big deal, it just goes to chill in the celestial planes for a few thousand years right?"
13. Teleporting an incomprehensibly insane and very powerful being to the exact location of the evil god's summoning and leaving him with the chambers every artifact and with access to said god, thereby allowing him to become said god's avatar.
". . .
It seemed like a good idea at the time?"
14. Murdering of draken merchants
"Totally evil traitors. Didn't we prove that?"
15. Bringing severed draken tail across borders, and possessing said item at all.
"The paladin did it I swear!"
16. Breaking and entering into royal palace.
"That queen was up to some evil stuff I'm telling ya."

Shortly passed this point the conflict went from nations to gods, so I'm not going to bother recording all the crimes they committed as they are excusable in the name of saving the world, and also because governments ceased to matter.

The funny thing is that the two bolded events took me by complete surprise yet ended up becoming two of the most important events of the campaign.

Pokonic
2012-04-10, 11:17 PM
Use of minor necromantic artifacts.

"Hey, it was to save a orphen!"

Consorting with Devilkind.

"Hey, they looked like orphens at the time!"

Defilation of souls.

" We did it so that they would not get eaten by the Devils!"

Arson.

"The trees where trying to eat us! How where we supposed to know there was a village in the woods!"

Meeting with evil creatures (Ex. Red Great Wrym.)

'We told the bard to slay the dragon, not lay it!"

Illegal use of magical items.

" Bah, realy? How are potions illegal?"

Dismembering and murdering a powerful force of LG.

"..... Well, it needed five samples of flesh, so....."

Eldan
2012-04-10, 11:44 PM
Just two here I know from my players, but I know there's more:

Inciting a stranger to arson and massive property damage by use of explosives, followed by an invasion of Tanar'ri
"We told him to start a distraction! We didn't know he was an insane alchemist and summoner that would unleash the hordes of the abyss on the city!

Reckless use of Sleep Rays
"He came at me in a dark alley! How should I know he wasn't a murderer or mugger?"

Alleran
2012-04-11, 12:22 AM
From a SAGA campaign I'm playing in, some of us (no particular order):

Robbery
"Charging fifty thousand credits for a lightsaber crystal is the real crime here."

Being a Jedi Knight
"Technically, I'm an apprentice."

Treason
"I'm not a citizen of the Empire, so it isn't treason."

Defamation of character
"It's not defamation if the Moff really is a slaver."

Slanderous accusations in HoloNet articles
"Slander is spoken. In print, it's libel."

Premeditated Murder
"The stormtroopers shot first and you can't prove otherwise."

Vehicular Manslaughter
"The skyway was full of traffic, so we had to take the footpath to escape pursuit."

Espionage
"The people have a right to know what superweapon their tax dollars are paying for."

Assaulting an Officer
"He was trying to take my lightsaber away."

Tax Evasion
"Smuggled goods don't fall under taxable income."

Smuggling
"It was the customs official who said we didn't have to pay the tariffs on those weapon crates."

Blackmail
"If he didn't want people finding out about his deviant habits, he shouldn't have left the pictures where our astromech could find them."

Sixteen counts of computer crime
"The droid doesn't belong to us, so what he does in his spare time isn't our responsibility."

Grand Theft Auto
"We prefer the term 'liberated from the Empire' in these circumstances."

Vandalism
"The space station had it coming."

Need_A_Life
2012-04-11, 01:28 AM
First degree murder.
"Really now, they shouldn't have signed up for the army, if they didn't want to be slaughtered horribly in their sleep."

Flying under false colours
"Well what do I know about ships?"

Murder
"Huh, I don't remember that one. Was he rich, a threat or just annoying?"

Destruction of public property
"Bought us a 5 hour headstart. I regret nothing."

Resisting arrest
"Now, I told them they could either come back once I'd finished my tea or die where they stood."

Graverobbing
"In my defense, we already discussed this matter with the inhabitants... aggressively."

Cruel and unusual punishment
"Leaving someone unarmed and naked for trying to kill you seemed reasonable. It was his choice to do try in one of the world's most dangerous places."

Reckless endangerment of civilians.
"I did shout 'Take cover' before throwing that Fireball, your honour. Not my fault that they didn't make it in time."

High Treason
"It can't really be treason if he never bought my loyalty, amirite?"

Conspiracy to commit murder
"Does it still count as conspiracy if I tell the stupid **** that, if he tries anything, we'll kill him and any known associates?"

Torture of a celestial being.
"Hey, we had to get into that temple somehow. Sacrificing the heart of a good creature was the only way. Besides, Solars heal."

Slavery
"He wasn't a slave. He was our mascot... who wasn't allowed to leave, wasn't paid and told to shut up anytime he opened his mouth. So, clearly, he's every bit as competent as my lawyer."

Contempt for the court
"Really, now you're just pushing it. Withdraw that accusation or I shall level this building, killing everyone but myself currently in it within the next twelve seconds."

Chookster
2012-04-11, 08:19 AM
Public nakedness

"I was shapechanged into a frog!"

Not sure what to call this charge but blowing up an entire wing of the palace.

"I was ****-blocked by my party members"
(actually happened, actual justification)

Dropping a giant oak tree into the centre of the city (Property damage?, Manslaughter?)

"to be fair uh, we didn;t launch it into the air, just rode it down"

Murder of thirty two civillians and grievous harming of seventy eight

"They were near the shinies"

Blisstake
2012-04-11, 09:11 AM
Oh wow, I've been wanting to do this...

H'roc, exiled barbarian chieftan

Murder of a frigthened woman in broad daylight
"She was a shapeshifter monster that only looked human when you saw me killing her!"

Mass Murder of 18 law enforcers
"They didn't believe she was a shapeshifter!"

Grave injuries to law enforcer
"You mean we didn't kill them all?"

Mortimer, sociopathic halfling bard

Demonic impregnation of slave
"I get a religious artifact capable of impregnating women with demons and you expect me not to use it?"

Consorting with otherworldly powers
"Since when is making friends a crime?"

Consiracy to murder
"It's only conspiracy because I forgot to actually go through with it."

Mental domination of authority figure
"You'd let me off the hook if you saw the dance I made him do!"

Lewd behavior involving wild animals
"I think it's best we never mention that incident again..."

Judeau, halfling infiltrator

Breaking and enterring private property (pardoned)
"You saw the cult in there."

Attempted Infantcide
"Well, it was a demon baby. Turns out they're immune to poison..."

Euheana, half-orc cleric

Espionage with intent to invade
"I'd call it active observation, personally."

Assisting orcs with invasion of coastal cities
"They had it coming."

Grand heresy of feigning divine magic
"..."

Elyssian
2012-04-11, 11:42 AM
Destruction of the local bar and inn
“At the time I had no idea we were under them when we blew a hole to the surface”

Destruction of a village
“I just caused a distraction for a friend, I did kill him afterwards… My God was okay with it and I thought there was this thing called freedom of religion”

Raising an army of 3,500 zombies
“Well we killed them all so why not recycle them?”

Killing 3,500 or so civilians
“Who knew that they were so susceptible to plague rats?”

Blowing up a children’s school during recess
“I had no clue that all those barrels I was shooting at were full of Greek fire.”

Murder of 12 paladins in service to there liege
“The armor was so shiny and easy to target, it really wasn’t even fair.”

Cruel and Unusual punishment
"If we didn't nail them to the walls as an example how would the others learn?"

DeafnotDumb
2012-04-14, 08:36 AM
Grand Theft of a City
"I prefer 'borrowing without intent to return'."

Theft of Army Supplies
"Oh, come one! I left them the sawdust. Are you telling me they can't eat sawdust?"

Hersey
"All hail Lord Morgan!"

Cruelty to animals
"Lord Morgan enjoyed it. As head priest I find your accusations irrelevant."

Conning a alchemist out of one (1) potion's worth of gold
"...Yeah, fair cop."

Sajach
2012-04-14, 04:07 PM
Arson
"Sure we killed a three thousand year old tree, but we also killed the guys inside!"
Arson
"I needed to hangout with him ass part of a requirement for a prestige class. And how was I supposed to know he'd burn down the bar!"
Murder(2x)
"How was I supposed to know there were two guys trapped inside!"
Illegal disposal of remains
"Cremation by exploding wine barrels should be legal"
Carry illegal weapons
"So I made some fire bombs while under suspicion of 2 counts of arson. What's the big deal?"
All of this was done by one character. The good fighter. The evil bard in the party was guilty of contempt of court.

Dimers
2012-04-14, 10:08 PM
Tax Evasion
"Smuggled goods don't fall under taxable income."

Smuggling
"It was the customs official who said we didn't have to pay the tariffs on those weapon crates."

Blackmail
"If he didn't want people finding out about his deviant habits, he shouldn't have left the pictures where our astromech could find them."

Sixteen counts of computer crime
"The droid doesn't belong to us, so what he does in his spare time isn't our responsibility."

Very nice series. :smallsmile: