PDA

View Full Version : It's NHL Playoff Time!

MCerberus
2012-04-08, 11:09 AM
As of very late yesterday night, the NHL regular season is over. Despite a lot of close races, all of the playoff spots were filled and the only thing being fought over was position.

The matchups:

East
(1)New York Rangers vs (8)Ottawa Senators
(2)Boston Bruins vs (7)Washington Capitols
(3)Florida Panthers vs (6)New Jersey Devils
(4)Pittsburgh Penguins vs (5)Philadelphia Flyers

West
(1)Vancouver Canuks vs (8)Los Angeles Kings
(2)St. Louis Blues vs (7)San Jose Sharks
(3)Phoenix Coyotes vs (6)Chicago Blackhawks
(4)Nashville Predators vs (5)Detroit Red Wings

Some things of note:
Vancouver has the best record of the season due to a sudden cooling off of both the Rangers and the Blues.

Both of the 4v5 matchups are between divisional rivals, and they are the only same-division contests in the first round.

Both of the 6 seeds have better records than the third seeds (which gain their position by winning the division).

The Atlantic and Central have 4 teams representing them this year, each holds the best possible seeds for not winning the division (4-5-6).

Two teams, because of how overtime works, actually have more losses than wins. These are the Panthers and Kings.

So, any thoughts on how things shook out? Predictions? Things to watch for?

Personally, I'm seeing the 6 seeds both upsetting in the first round, and going with Nashville over Detroit.

Qaera
2012-04-08, 12:14 PM
I haven't been to a Preds game in a while, but I guess I'm rooting for them based on location. I can't wait to see them punt the winning touchdown in the fourth quarter! I don't know much about Hockey.

~ ♅

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-04-08, 01:33 PM
Disappointed that the Habs failed to show, though at least the Leafs aren't here. My dad's family is gonna kill me over the Sens making it this year... But I'm betting on the Sen's losing to the Rangers in that first round.
*sigh*
I suppose giving that the only Canadian teams are the Sens and Canucks, and I hate the Sens, the Canucks are my team this year.

MCerberus
2012-04-08, 01:48 PM
I haven't been to a Preds game in a while, but I guess I'm rooting for them based on location. I can't wait to see them punt the winning touchdown in the fourth quarter! I don't know much about Hockey.

~ ♅

You'll be happy to know that the Red Wings are terrible on the road, so more than likely any game televised from Nashville will be a win.

Disappointed that the Habs failed to show, though at least the Leafs aren't here. My dad's family is gonna kill me over the Sens making it this year... But I'm betting on the Sen's losing to the Rangers in that first round.
*sigh*
I suppose giving that the only Canadian teams are the Sens and Canucks, and I hate the Sens, the Canucks are my team this year.

Canadian teams really.. deserve better from their teams' front office ends up giving them. The games are packed, not just like they are here where it's a technical sellout but they give out tickets to local corporates that may not show up. There's lines to get at the scalpers. The fans will in different cities, show up to a team that had no chance at making the playoffs the year after they moved there, cheer for their former goalie while he's shutting their team out.

Then we get stuff like Toronto where their reputation for not caring because they make money anyway seems deserved. I bet a certain Edmonton kobold will say something similar about his team.

TheVizir
2012-04-08, 02:11 PM
Canadian teams really.. deserve better from their teams' front office ends up giving them. The games are packed, not just like they are here where it's a technical sellout but they give out tickets to local corporates that may not show up. There's lines to get at the scalpers. The fans will in different cities, show up to a team that had no chance at making the playoffs the year after they moved there, cheer for their former goalie while he's shutting their team out.

Then we get stuff like Toronto where their reputation for not caring because they make money anyway seems deserved. I bet a certain Edmonton kobold will say something similar about his team.

Aye... really kind of disappointing that we have seven teams now, and can only get two into the playoffs, one by the skin of their teeth... while three more just utterly FAILED this season (at least the Jets and the Leafs tried... okay, the Leafs tried until two thirds of the way through before they decided they wanted to beat the Habs at failing).

I'm optimistic for the Canucks this year - hopefully they've learned their lesson. If not, hopefully the Vancouver Police and the Mounties have... :smallannoyed:

I'm thinking a Bruins-Canucks repeat is possible... though personally I'd love a Canucks-Devils so we can see a BATTLE OF THE SUPERGOALIES!

*is still bitter about Luongo from last year and Brodeur... too many times to count*

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-04-08, 03:21 PM
I was kinda cheering for the Jets because their logo is the best thing ever.

MCerberus
2012-04-08, 04:15 PM
I'm thinking a Bruins-Canucks repeat is possible... though personally I'd love a Canucks-Devils so we can see a BATTLE OF THE SUPERGOALIES!

*looks at location* *facepalms over this 'battle of the supergoalies' not happening in the WC final*

Riverdance
2012-04-08, 05:34 PM
I wonder if rabid sports conflict falls under the "no political discussion" ban. :smallbiggrin:

MCerberus
2012-04-08, 05:40 PM
I wonder if rabid sports conflict falls under the "no political discussion" ban. :smallbiggrin:

We've had hockey threads that were effectively NHL-exclusive. It never got rabid.

TheVizir
2012-04-08, 10:36 PM
*looks at location* *facepalms over this 'battle of the supergoalies' not happening in the WC final*

I was trying to be sarcastic... and figured that calling Luongo and Brodeur Failgoalies would be just asking for trouble/disrespecting the hard work they've done in the past. So, as they're failing now... SARCASM...

*slaps a sign on his chest that reads FAILCOMEDIAN*

Yes.

DropsonExistanc
2012-04-09, 12:40 PM
I see much overtime in my future... Selling Canucks flags and jerseys :smallwink:

I will also assure everyone, the anti-riot ads (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-svO4e_yKms) have been airing for months already.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-10, 10:51 AM
I looked on the wikipedia page for the riot and found links to another one in Vancouver and a third in Montreal. :smalleek:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-04-10, 06:13 PM
The Montreal hockey riot was quite some years ago though... Not really in my memory...

evil-frosty
2012-04-10, 06:52 PM
I am a die hard Blackhawks fan and will of course cheer for them. But I do not see them in the finals. Just as long as teams i hate(Van, Bos, Det, Stl, NJ, Phi, Nash, and Wash) are not in the finals I am happy.

polity4life
2012-04-11, 07:47 AM
I really hope this year's playoffs hammer in the final nail into the heads of the oblivious that the Central division is the toughest in the league.

That being said, I don't see how Detroit is surviving the first round this year. To say that the Wings limped into the playoffs is the king of understatements, and I don't want to hear the injury excuse. This team is built to field four lines, all with the capability to score, and has hall of fame talent. There's simply no excuse for going 7-11-4 since the end of February and no excuse to have a losing road record. Either Detroit is taking under-reporting injuries to a new level or the team just isn't doing it anymore.

I'll still watch after the first round though. It's great that St. Louis is back in the game and Nashville has always had a good team. If only the owner wasn't a cheapskate and the people actually went to the games.

MCerberus
2012-04-11, 09:44 AM
I am a die hard Blackhawks fan and will of course cheer for them. But I do not see them in the finals. Just as long as teams i hate(Van, Bos, Det, Stl, NJ, Phi, Nash, and Wash) are not in the finals I am happy.

That's... fully half of the playoff spread you don't like >.>

Anyway... First games are tonight.
Phil @ Pit
Det @ Nash
LA @ Van

I'm really not looking at the Flyers/Penguins series as anything other than an abomination though. Dirty hits, line fights, a return to the dark days of goon hockey.

Don Julio Anejo
2012-04-11, 01:39 PM
Bingo bango bongo?

polity4life
2012-04-11, 01:48 PM
That's... fully half of the playoff spread you don't like >.>

Anyway... First games are tonight.
Phil @ Pit
Det @ Nash
LA @ Van

I'm really not looking at the Flyers/Penguins series as anything other than an abomination though. Dirty hits, line fights, a return to the dark days of goon hockey.

See, I don't expect anything less from any product of Pennsylvania. I wouldn't be that offended if a scrum broke out after every face-off. Anything to make Pittsburgh weaker or lose is A-okay in my book.

But it's likely all for naught. The Penguins are taking the east. I honestly think the Predators have a legitimate chance at taking the west provided their penalty kill can kick it up a notch. Also, I can't stand Vancouver. Ever since Brian Burke went on a whiny rant about the Wings / Canuck series in 2002, the whole organization has left a sour taste in my mouth. It's funny now that Todd Bertuzzi actually does wear a red sweater these days. :smallwink:

evil-frosty
2012-04-11, 05:52 PM
I know it is half the line up but if you look at it a lot of it are rivalries. Philly I see as dirty team same with Boston ever since a hit of Chara's nearly paralyzed a guy. Washington is over rated. Play offs are just fun cause anything can happen. I just don't like how refs will let teams get away with more. Perfect example was the Stanley Cup Finals when Philly played Chicago.

MCerberus
2012-04-11, 06:23 PM
I know it is half the line up but if you look at it a lot of it are rivalries. Philly I see as dirty team same with Boston ever since a hit of Chara's nearly paralyzed a guy. Washington is over rated. Play offs are just fun cause anything can happen. I just don't like how refs will let teams get away with more. Perfect example was the Stanley Cup Finals when Philly played Chicago.

I've got a different view as someone from St. Louis. First, I don't have any reason to blame officiating for much of anything, other than Vancouver's notorious reputation for diving. Bad calls happen. Second, it was a team helmed by Pronger, it may have been physical due to how the team plays, and that leads to more dangerous hits if only by volume, but Pronger didn't have a reputation for letting things get out of hand when he was here.

The Flyer/Pens series, though, we already have people wishing a career ending concussion on someone that's had two already. Not a good sign.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-11, 06:37 PM
The Flyer/Pens series, though, we already have people wishing a career ending concussion on someone that's had two already. Not a good sign.

Oh dear. There's a difference between a hyped-up crowd figuratively howling for blood and making the visiting team's life hell (which is incredibly fun when you're part of the crowd), and actually wanting the players seriously hurt.

polity4life
2012-04-12, 06:39 AM
Calling for yet another concussion for Crosby is way out of line. This guy is one accident away from a greatly diminished quality of life. I'm surprised that he is playing anymore to be honest.

Anyway, Shea Weber is going to be out for at least a game if Shanahan has any say in it, which he will. Zetterberg really gets some raw deals in the playoffs. In 2009 he had a hurt back and Crosby would cross check him there all day in the finals.

Scarlet Knight
2012-04-12, 07:10 AM

How can you hate NJ? They have the Rangers and the Flyers constantly siphoning fan base & advertizing money and still play well every year! Go Devils!

MCerberus
2012-04-12, 10:10 AM
Interesting interesting night.

Penguins go up 3-0 in the first only to have it go into OT. Flyers 4-3/OT
The 8 seeded Kings outplay the Canuks all game, cap it with an empty netter Kings 4-2
In the only non-upset of the night, Wings lose in regulation. Preds 3-2

Tonight's games:
Sharks @ Blues 4-2 Blues
Senators @ Rangers
Blackhawks @ Coyotes
Capitols @ Bruins

We don't get two games where divisional rivals play for this set. The one that may turn out the best is Phoenix/Chicago.

polity4life
2012-04-13, 10:02 AM
$2500 for cracking someone's helmet on the boards? That's it NHL? Football fines for stepping on someone are at least four times that much and typically involve game loss for repeat offenders, like Weber.

I'm putting my tin foil hat on. Nashville is making a hard pitch for the All Star game in the very near future. Nashville, the city where the team has a hard time selling out on any given night and the market is small and until recently disinterested. It seems pretty clear that the league is tripping over itself to give the Preds an "objective" listen. Could it be that the NHL is trying to buoy the Predators with the chance at hosting one of the top three draws the league has to offer? If so, is it much of a stretch to think that the league wouldn't diminish an already weak market by taking the team captain out of a playoff series, even for a game, in order to maintain or build up fan interest (and spending)?

Why would the league do this? First, Bettman hates to admit prolific southern expansion was a bad idea. Second, Bettman doesn't want another Phoenix on his hands. I'm not explicitly saying that Nashville is having ownership or financial issues. I am implying that it is a vulnerable, small market that, according to Forbes, is in the bottom five of overall value, which factors in variables like local TV contracts, sponsors, and merchandise and ticket sales.

This just seems wet. I'll put my hat away now.

MCerberus
2012-04-14, 10:13 AM
This just seems wet. I'll put my hat away now.

He launched, injury, that should have been at least a game.

Now, back to the games.
SHOCKERS. Really crazy stuff going on.
8-5 and the Flyers take a 2-0 lead. At Pittsburgh.
Kings are up 2-0 on Vancouver
Sharks win in double overtime.
Wings beat Nashville on the road to have it 1-1 going into Detroit (Big)
Boston over Washington 1-0 in overtime
Phoenix showing that "haters gun hate".

evil-frosty
2012-04-14, 11:13 AM
I would like to point out as a disgruntled fan that Phoenix's second goal was complete and utter crap. The ref was standing in front of their bench and could clearly see there were too many men on the ice for Phoenix. Yes, the Hawks fourth line was playing horribly, but you have to call that. They made a mistake and should have suffered the consequences of it. And with the ref positioned where he was it was too obvious to miss. The ref just let it go.

And on the Weber thing it is ridiculous. I hate how some of the rules just go out of the window for the play offs. Another part of it that's sorta shocking is it was against Zetterberg a guy who is a star player for the Wings. Usually the league looks out for those kind of guys. Maybe they only look out for East Conference stars.

MCerberus
2012-04-14, 11:17 AM
I would like to point out as a disgruntled fan that Phoenix's second goal was complete and utter crap. The ref was standing in front of their bench and could clearly see there were too many men on the ice for Phoenix. Yes, the Hawks fourth line was playing horribly, but you have to call that. They made a mistake and should have suffered the consequences of it. And with the ref positioned where he was it was too obvious to miss. The ref just let it go.

And on the Weber thing it is ridiculous. I hate how some of the rules just go out of the window for the play offs. Another part of it that's sorta shocking is it was against a Zetterberg a guy who is a star player for the Wings usually the league looks out for those kind of guys. Maybe they only look out for East Conference stars.

Missed calls happen in any game, and for both sides though. Hell in the first OT the sharks had too many men on the ice, then a delay of game wasn't called because it sounded weird.

evil-frosty
2012-04-14, 10:11 PM
My issue is when it had so much impact on the game. And the ref was right in front of it. He had to be blind not to see it...and in today's game there was another blown call which led to another goal. It bothers me when it happens repeatedly and has a lot of impact on the game. Though of course I am a fan and see through that paradigm.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-04-14, 10:22 PM
That Sens/Rangers game was one helluva violent game. Even though I normally detest the Sens, I found myself cheering for them by the end...
I'm a sucker for the underdog, I guess.

MCerberus
2012-04-14, 10:38 PM
That Sens/Rangers game was one helluva violent game. Even though I normally detest the Sens, I found myself cheering for them by the end...
I'm a sucker for the underdog, I guess.

The Sens/Rangers game had nothing on the third period of the Blues game.

Courtesy NHL.com, here's the penalties
00:31 STL Scott Nichol : Delaying Game-Puck over glass - 2 min
04:36 SJS TJ Galiardi : Slashing - 2 min
09:50 SJS TJ Galiardi : Charging - 2 min
12:28 STL Jamie Langenbrunner : Holding - 2 min
17:44 SJS Torrey Mitchell : Holding - 2 min
18:36 STL David Backes : Roughing - 2 min
18:36 SJS Brent Burns : Roughing - 2 min
19:12 SJS Dan Boyle : Roughing - 2 min
19:12 SJS Dan Boyle : Roughing - 2 min
20:00 STL Vladimir Sobotka : Fighting (maj) - 5 min
20:00 STL Vladimir Sobotka : Misconduct (10 min) - 0 min
20:00 STL B.J. Crombeen : Cross checking - 2 min
20:00 STL Roman Polak : Fighting (maj) - 5 min
20:00 STL Roman Polak : Game misconduct - 0 min
20:00 STL Barret Jackman : Fighting (maj) - 5 min
20:00 STL Barret Jackman : Game misconduct - 0 min
20:00 STL Jamie Langenbrunner : Roughing - 2 min
20:00 SJS Dominic Moore : Fighting (maj) - 5 min
20:00 SJS Justin Braun : Fighting (maj) - 5 min
20:00 SJS Justin Braun : Game misconduct - 0 min
20:00 SJS Douglas Murray : Fighting (maj) - 5 min
20:00 SJS Douglas Murray : Game misconduct - 0 min
20:00 SJS Douglas Murray : Roughing - 2 min
20:00 SJS Daniel Winnik : Roughing - 2 min

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-04-14, 10:44 PM
OH DAYUM SONNNN.

Kinda wish I saw that game...
And my mum was complaining about the fighting in this game...

MCerberus
2012-04-14, 10:48 PM
The Blues were pretty well running the show, the Sharks became frustrated. They started stuff, and we get scenes like a Blue getting boarded, then punching the offending Shark in the face, Steen turning the tables on a Shark check, leading to a fight.

It's the kind of thing that's a complete momentum shift, mark me the Sharks are dead in the water.

evil-frosty
2012-04-14, 11:00 PM
Depends on how the sharks respond on home ice. In most of the series it depends on how the lower seed is going to do on home ice. Notable exception is the Van LA series surprisingly LA is dominating the Presidents Trophy winning team. I am not getting a lot of opportunity to watch all of these games and it is making me sad. They sound awesome.

Aren't the play offs suppose to have less fights? And what is the point of issuing penalties after time has expired? I do not see the reason.

MCerberus
2012-04-15, 01:22 PM
Depends on how the sharks respond on home ice. In most of the series it depends on how the lower seed is going to do on home ice. Notable exception is the Van LA series surprisingly LA is dominating the Presidents Trophy winning team. I am not getting a lot of opportunity to watch all of these games and it is making me sad. They sound awesome.

Aren't the play offs suppose to have less fights? And what is the point of issuing penalties after time has expired? I do not see the reason.

They issue game misconducts so the league has the right to suspend for a game players who they feel were giant issues there. But yes getting desperate like that in game 2 is something of an oddity.

evil-frosty
2012-04-15, 05:01 PM
The Penguins Flyer series is starting to take am more ugly turn in game three. The Penguins seems to be head hunting now out of frustration. This game may have more penalty minutes then that last Stl and SJ game at this rate. On a slightly related note did anyone expect Fleury to suck this bad? He has given up 15 goals in 5 and a half periods. That is unheard of for any goalie.

An Enemy Spy
2012-04-15, 07:03 PM
I'm not a big hockey guy, but I do really like the Sharks, mainly because sharks are my favorite animal (big surprise) so I want them to win. On a scale of New York Yankees to Cleveland Browns, where would you rate their chances?

MCerberus
2012-04-15, 07:18 PM
I'm not a big hockey guy, but I do really like the Sharks, mainly because sharks are my favorite animal (big surprise) so I want them to win. On a scale of New York Yankees to Cleveland Browns, where would you rate their chances?

Nothing concrete until we see the Monday game, where they need to come out in force or they'll be run over.

edit- Shameful, shameful display in Philly tonight. There are some Pens that are going to miss the first games of the next season due to suspension.

evil-frosty
2012-04-15, 09:26 PM
Not with the standard that the league has set for previous suspensions. First there was weber then there is that guy from Ottawa who literally assaulted Dan Boyle. I think his name was Caninker? Some thing like that. But the League is letting too much happen in games.

TheLaughingMan
2012-04-15, 09:41 PM
Notable exception is the Van LA series surprisingly LA is dominating the Presidents Trophy winning team. I am not getting a lot of opportunity to watch all of these games and it is making me sad. They sound awesome.

Oh, don't worry. The Kings'll pull defeat out of the jaws of victory soon enough.

The always do. :smallsigh:

polity4life
2012-04-16, 09:35 AM
First, lol to Vancouver and Pittsburgh. I'm confident both series will not end in a sweep but they are for all intents and purposes done for the year.

Back to my Detroit-Nashville ranting. I have to put my hat back on and present the following question: How is Johan Franzen not given a game misconduct for his shenanigans in game 3? Let's recap his play:

1) He overtly and obviously tries to knee Shea Weber in the knee but Shea dodges it to avoid injury
2) He goons it up with numerous Predators away from the play
3) Although interfered by a bench player on Nashville, he stabs at someone with his stick

I appreciate the intensity of playoff hockey as much as the next guy but this is out of hand. From the perspective of the league, you have to start calling stuff. I understand Philli vs. Pitt is supposed to be unlicensed MMA but that's not hockey. And I understand that players are given more latitude come playoff time but you still have to call stuff at some point.

From the perspective of Mike Babcock, coach of the Red Wings, you need to sit that guy down for a few shifts. He is supposed to be your ace-in-the-hole, playoff scoring monster and he's gooning it up and down the ice.

So now that I'm done with rant v2.0, I'll talk about some of the good stuff. Nashville played amazing in front of both nets and took very timely risks to earn two of their goals. Klein splitting the Wings D right up the gut was pretty sweet. Datsyuk's goal was also fun to watch but those kinds of goals likely won't come again. The Wings power play at the end of the second displayed all of Detroit's energy for the game, making for a goal that was called off. Zetterberg's no-look goal near the end of the third was nice as well but too little too late.

MCerberus
2012-04-16, 06:02 PM
Well at least suspensions are starting to flow.

evil-frosty
2012-04-17, 04:27 PM
The suspensions are starting to flow but they are not consistent. Or follow logic. The League needs to get its head checked. People who deserve games going into the next season are getting nothing and people who do something minor and should get a fine get 3-5 games. I am not following the logic behind everything. It seems like the League is discriminating against players who are stars and who aren't.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-04-18, 04:25 PM
The suspensions are starting to flow but they are not consistent. Or follow logic. The League needs to get its head checked. People who deserve games going into the next season are getting nothing and people who do something minor and should get a fine get 3-5 games. I am not following the logic behind everything. It seems like the League is discriminating against players who are stars and who aren't.

And last night...Part of me is worried that somebody's going to have to die before things change.

evil-frosty
2012-04-18, 04:41 PM
If Torres goes out in the city he will be attacked. Hossa is a fan favorite in Chicago. Torres should be kicked out of the league; this is all he does. He head hunts for players. That is what he has made his career to be. He is scum.

MCerberus
2012-04-18, 06:31 PM
If Torres goes out in the city he will be attacked. Hossa is a fan favorite in Chicago. Torres should be kicked out of the league; this is all he does. He head hunts for players. That is what he has made his career to be. He is scum.

The league did the right thing there though. They brought him in for a Wed meeting to throw a season suspension at him, but when they had to reschedule they went 'fine, but you're not playing'.

evil-frosty
2012-04-18, 07:47 PM
The league did the right thing there though. They brought him in for a Wed meeting to throw a season suspension at him, but when they had to reschedule they went 'fine, but you're not playing'.

That's good, I had not heard this. The league is finally doing more for all of these cheap hits going on in the play offs.

Scarlet Knight
2012-04-19, 06:05 AM
I was at a street fair, and noticed a T-shirt for sale. It had devils pictured in multiple positions for copulation. I bought it for the playoffs. My wife asked "why? I replied "It's my 'Lucky Devils' T-shirt because that's what I said when I saw it."

I did not know it would make me say "F#@%ing Devils"....:smallfrown:

polity4life
2012-04-19, 06:24 AM
So Pengiuns. They remembered how to play without drawing double minors and suspensions. And Brygalov proved that he is not the goalie he is paid to be (go figure). It's largely irrelevant though; the Pens are out of this thing. Phili has too good of a team to let off the pedal for three straight.

I'm not so sure with Vancouver. I think they could possible rattle off three in a row against the Kings. It all depends on who is between the pipes though as Luongo has proven to be a bit soft at very inopportune times. Schneider at least gives them the chance to stay competitive.

Now back to the Wings. There is legitimate, non-reactionary, objective talk amongst the fans in Detroit who desire the team be blown up. And truth be told, the team needs just that. This unit simply isn't working. It struggles mightily in some aspects of the game, excels in others, and can do nothing well come playoff time for three straight years. Younger, faster teams with more stamina seem to have the right plan for taking on the Wings. So many players have to go and I hope they do. Hudler, Holmstrom, Stuart, and Lidstrom all need to hang up their winged wheel sweaters and seek greener pastures. Even the core should at least be shopped for what the league considers their value. The only two players that are untouchable are Datsyuk and Howard and everyone else should be quietly shopped to assess their value.

I'm not offended that Nashville is likely going to beat the Wings in five. In fact, I called it with my co-workers who all were taking Wings in 6 or 7. Nashville has a better team this time. In fact, I think this is Nashville's year to make it deep, though I believe a team from the East will claim the cup.

An Enemy Spy
2012-04-19, 05:37 PM
Sounds like Greg Williams would fit right in in the NHL from what you guys are saying.

MCerberus
2012-04-20, 12:34 AM
All I've got to say right now is 3-1 heading back to StL.

DropsonExistanc
2012-04-20, 01:30 AM
It's interesting that a team has to play hockey to qualify for the Lord Stanley MMA Team Championship :smallconfused:

I'm hoping to see more of Schneider in the net upcoming, not just for his record so far, but because he's an awesome guy off the ice too. Almost all the team is really great about getting out into the community with the fans, something I'm going to hopefully assume is the case most places. As for the series overall, well...

I'm dreading my first shift where people start coming in just to ask when our "50%-off sale on Canucks stuff" starts. It was funny the first time I heard it: the next 149 were far, far less amusing.

MCerberus
2012-04-21, 11:39 AM
Torres gets 25 games, loses $500,000 in salary, cannot participate in pre-season. (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=629019)

evil-frosty
2012-04-22, 11:17 PM
I would have preferred him just getting a season long suspension or kicked out of the league but then again I am sorta biased in this manner.

Anyway, LA finishes off the series and goes against Nashville next while Stl is watching the Phx and Chi series. Should be interesting. Both Nashville and LA have super star goalies who are arguably the two best goalies in the league.

Don Julio Anejo
2012-04-23, 07:35 AM
Oh well. 'Nucks weren't impressing me at all ever since the Hodgson trade, and I'm secretly happy that finals didn't let me watch any of the playoff games. So not going to lose any sleep over this. I've lost enough over transcription regulation and lambda phages.

As for Torres' suspension, it was a brutal, if technically almost legal, hit and a fair suspension. Of course it only happened because the hit was against Chicago. Keith does it to Daniel? Oh, right, 5 games for an actual, obviously intended fracking elbow to the head.

evil-frosty
2012-04-23, 05:47 PM
Things that come into play one Torres is a repeat offender, Keith is not. Two, the league has been under heat recently. When Keith's hit happened they were not.

A couple other things to sorta consider depending on your view point, I forget the players name but he is on Vancouver, in a fight he pulled Keith's hair. Which is a separate penalty on its own and just down right pathetic. The league realizes which teams have a history and therefore will let more slide. Lastly depending on how biased you are against the Canucks(in my case I am very biased) that particularly play from a certain angle it looks like the puck is going to fall by Sedin and so Keith hits him(which would have been legal had it not been for the elbow). And Vancouver has a history of taking dives and whining to refs though Keith's hit was illegal and he got suspended rightly so. And the league does not favor Chicago. They favor the East Conference over the West Conference and possibly Detroit.

Anyway, predictions for the Nash LA series? And can Ottawa finish off the Rangers? And who is going to win the game seven in Boston? Does anyone think, besides me, that the Hawks can pull off two wins in a row to overcome Phoenix?

MCerberus
2012-04-24, 09:53 AM
Anyway, predictions for the Nash LA series? And can Ottawa finish off the Rangers? And who is going to win the game seven in Boston? Does anyone think, besides me, that the Hawks can pull off two wins in a row to overcome Phoenix?

Actually it's St. Louis/LA, since LA is the lowest seed and StL is the highest remaining. Unfortunately for Central fans, the other series is also set. It's Nashville @ Phoenix.

We're still waiting on 3 of the eastern series.

Teln
2012-04-25, 09:06 PM
Game 7 of the Capitals-Bruins series just went to overtime. I'm nervous as hell.

Edit: AND THE CAPITALS HAVE WON!! :smallbiggrin::smallcool:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-04-25, 09:57 PM
Washington won! Huzzah! Now I just need Ottawa to beat the Rangers... *fingers crossed*

MCerberus
2012-04-25, 10:02 PM
Very possible that Philly gets home-ice for the rest of the east now.

DropsonExistanc
2012-04-27, 02:04 AM
I decided to troll today and wear one of my Canucks jerseys to work. Only two bites, and all the "Canucks sale" jokes had been and gone :smallyuk:

Every time I see the Visa hockey love hurts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7QMdpmfvVs) commercial, I see Canucks jerseys instead of Jets. Still waiting for my phone call...

Anyway, the Caps beat Boston, so I'm cheering for them now!

Scarlet Knight
2012-04-27, 05:40 AM
The Devils Win!

Now off to Philadelphia and then (crosses fingers) the Rangers ? Oh, it could be glorius!

polity4life
2012-04-27, 08:03 AM
The Devils Win!

Now off to Philadelphia and then (crosses fingers) the Rangers ? Oh, it could be glorius!

The Flyers look to have the best team right now in the East. Your Devils have an uphill battle if they want to take on the winner of the Caps-Rangers series. On that, I think the Caps may have a pretty solid chance. Their goaltender is hot and they're coming in on a way higher note than the Rangers.

Honestly, the best hockey in the last round and this upcoming round will be in the East. Guess I'll have to spend more time at the bar. Oh woe is me.

MCerberus
2012-04-27, 09:24 AM
The Flyers look to have the best team right now in the East. Your Devils have an uphill battle if they want to take on the winner of the Caps-Rangers series. On that, I think the Caps may have a pretty solid chance. Their goaltender is hot and they're coming in on a way higher note than the Rangers.

Honestly, the best hockey in the last round and this upcoming round will be in the East. Guess I'll have to spend more time at the bar. Oh woe is me.

Wouldn't discount the Kings/Blues series for good hockey, both teams play clean tough hockey. Preds/Coyotes though... Coyotes aren't going to be able to score against the Predators. It's simply not going to be close.

polity4life
2012-04-27, 11:18 AM
Wouldn't discount the Kings/Blues series for good hockey, both teams play clean tough hockey. Preds/Coyotes though... Coyotes aren't going to be able to score against the Predators. It's simply not going to be close.

I wasn't really clear what I meant by "best" but thinking about it, you're probably right. St. Louis - Los Angeles should be fun and largely goon free. The only issue is that all games are likely going to be 1-0 or 1-2 contests, which can be entertaining.

I'm actually pulling for St. Louis though I feel Nashville may the West. LA and Phoenix just don't have the teams to push into the next round.

But let's take a step back. This playoff must be a wet dream for Bettman and the pro-expansionist crowd. You have four at-risk franchises in the playoffs in the West and a guarantee that one of those will make it to the cup.

evil-frosty
2012-04-29, 10:31 AM
So LA, NYR, and PHX all win the all important first game of the series. Interesting...NYR was suppose to win. But LA was not. And I don't think many people would of had PHX beating NASH. Only series remaining to play their first game is PHI and NJ, NJ has a chance but it will be an uphill climb. They have to hope that PHI is still having some issues at goalie. On a bright note, there have been less what you call dirty plays in the games. Especially compared to the first round. Thoughts?

Okay what is happening to Pekka Rine?!?!

polity4life
2012-04-30, 07:35 AM
So LA, NYR, and PHX all win the all important first game of the series. Interesting...NYR was suppose to win. But LA was not. And I don't think many people would of had PHX beating NASH. Only series remaining to play their first game is PHI and NJ, NJ has a chance but it will be an uphill climb. They have to hope that PHI is still having some issues at goalie. On a bright note, there have been less what you call dirty plays in the games. Especially compared to the first round. Thoughts?

Okay what is happening to Pekka Rine?!?!

Nashville is now down by two and call me surprised. Such a defensively sound team with great goaltending has really come undone. The Preds can still turn the ship around but the Coyotes are playing with greater purpose presently. We'll see if Nashville can steal back home ice from Phoenix.

I'm not surprised to see LA take game one. These teams are as close to mirror images as you can get. Bounces and lucky breaks will determine this series that features two of the top five goalies in the league, one of which is a Vezina finalist.

As for the Jersey-Phili series, you pretty much nailed it. The Devils' only hope is for Bryzgolov to fall apart as he does every spring. However with the Flyers' offense it may not matter as much. Also the starts on New Jersey aren't cutting it as well as they should. Kovalchuk without a shot? That doesn't bode well for Devils fans.

DropsonExistanc
2012-05-02, 11:30 PM
Thought I'd tune in for the last half of the Caps/Rangers game 3... I got a game and a half instead! Great value!

It's nice to watch good, skilled hockey. Hope this trend carries through the rest of the rounds.

MCerberus
2012-05-03, 03:20 PM
So I forget to subscribe to the thread and forget about it for a week. Although, I really would like to forget that week in hockey.

Scarlet Knight
2012-05-03, 09:58 PM
I submit that there is no scenario in all of sports as exciting as overtime-sudden death - Stanley Cup playoff hockey!

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-05-03, 10:23 PM
I submit that there is no scenario in all of sports as exciting as overtime-sudden death - Stanley Cup playoff hockey!

I concur. It's hockey at it's VERY best, and when hockey is at it's best, no other sport can come even CLOSE!

evil-frosty
2012-05-07, 09:26 AM
Thoughts on LA's sweep of the number two seed StL?

polity4life
2012-05-08, 06:38 AM
If someone said the Los Angeles Kings and Phoenix Coyotes would vie for representing the West in the Stanley Cup Finals, I would have laid out $1,000 on a bet with this fellow and lol all day. I'm glad I never found this person.

And what's up with Phili? They came in with steam and are just falling apart against the Devils. I haven't been able to watch those games, so what's actually going wrong? Is Bryzgolov being himself at the wrong time again? Is the defense folding? Are they not getting quality offensive opportunities?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-05-08, 09:47 AM
The Flyers just don't have control. The games I've seen of that series are defined by the Devil's keeping the puck almost CONSTANTLY in Philly's end. I wouldn't have expected such a strong consistent offence from the Devil's, but right now they're my favourite team.

Except for LA.

LA FOR THE CUP!

MCerberus
2012-05-08, 11:26 PM
Thoughts on LA's sweep of the number two seed StL?

Is infinite sadness acceptable?
Hopefully this doesn't turn into the 90s, with the Blues falling flat in the playoffs after being insanely good.

polity4life
2012-05-09, 07:22 AM
Is infinite sadness acceptable?
Hopefully this doesn't turn into the 90s, with the Blues falling flat in the playoffs after being insanely good.

Oddly enough, I would be okay with that. The Wings wouldn't mind one or two more push overs in the division. :smallamused:

MCerberus
2012-05-09, 10:05 AM
Oddly enough, I would be okay with that. The Wings wouldn't mind one or two more push overs in the division. :smallamused:

That would be Minnesota, and either Dallas or Winnipeg. Chicago might be on the trend down as well, since they seem to have stopped being able to deal with the new style of aggressive defense going around the league.

Of course, the new divisions won't be in place until the 2013-2014 season. But still, welcome back to the 'central', Stars.

polity4life
2012-05-09, 11:16 AM
I thought the NHLPA shot down restructuring due to player complaints of travel times and duration?

MCerberus
2012-05-09, 02:26 PM
I thought the NHLPA shot down restructuring due to player complaints of travel times and duration?

No, the NHLPA put it behind schedule long enough so they couldn't make the schedule with it for the 2012-2013 season as a show of force going into the CBA meetings.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-05-12, 09:35 PM
And the Rangers take game 7! Whoo-hoo!

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-05-12, 10:15 PM
And the Rangers take game 7! Whoo-hoo!

Rangers or Devils, is the question.

It's all academic, of course, given the Kings are going to take the cup.

Scarlet Knight
2012-05-14, 06:54 AM
Revenge ! The Devils wipe away the memory of the accursed Stephane Matteau (*ptoo*) !

polity4life
2012-05-14, 06:58 AM
Rangers or Devils, is the question.

It's all academic, of course, given the Kings are going to take the cup.

Seeing as how every one of my predictions has turned out false and I despise west coast hockey, I'm going to pick LA to take the cup as well. :smallamused:

Honestly though I don't see how they won't take the West. They'll be playing in June.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-05-14, 07:45 AM
Honestly if the Kings win I will throw the BIGGEST party ever.

MCerberus
2012-05-16, 10:26 PM
If the Kings win, they'll have ripped through all 3 western division winners, and likely the EC's 1 seed.

As the 8 seed.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-05-16, 10:30 PM
If the Kings win, they'll have ripped through all 3 western division winners, and likely the EC's 1 seed.

As the 8 seed.

Hence the party.

Edit: They're already the first team ever to beat, as the 8th-seed, both the 1st- and 2nd-seeded teams in the same playoffs.

polity4life
2012-05-17, 09:51 AM
Although I don't like west coast hockey clubs I do have to say I'm happy for Jeff Carter. Granted, he took his trade to Columbus like a child who had his candy bar taken away, but the Blue Jackets represent the thing that resides below the graveyard of hockey...or a high-tier AHL club. It's good to see actual talent migrate away from vortex of failure otherwise known as Ohio.

Scarlet Knight
2012-05-19, 05:55 AM
Now it's a series!

As Springsteen would have written if the Devils were around at the time:

"Well, my forwards were slashed, into the boards they crashed,
but the Lord (Stanley) had mercy on me,
The power play's a dud, we gave sweat & gave blood,
down at the Rock in Jersey..."

polity4life
2012-05-23, 07:40 AM
And the Kings of Los Angeles have earned the privilege to play for the most coveted, difficult accolade in all of North American sports: the Stanley Cup. Kudos to them.

Now for my honest opinion...

What the hell has happened in the world of hockey?! The Kings?! AAAAGH! Sorely disappointed in the Central division, I am. :smallmad:

evil-frosty
2012-05-23, 02:32 PM
They got hot at the right time. And now they hold the record for the most consecutive road wins in the play offs. And Mike Smith is the biggest cry baby ever. He wants Dustin Brown suspended for life for his hit on Rosevial, which was a clean hit at the whistle. And Smith is the guy who slashed Brown's knee and tried doing the same thing to Richards after Penner scored the winning goal. Smith has talent but no character.

Joran
2012-05-23, 04:28 PM
And the Kings of Los Angeles have earned the privilege to play for the most coveted, difficult accolade in all of North American sports: the Stanley Cup. Kudos to them.

Now for my honest opinion...

What the hell has happened in the world of hockey?! The Kings?! AAAAGH! Sorely disappointed in the Central division, I am. :smallmad:

It does help that the Columbus Blue Jackets gifted an outstanding player to the Kings in exchange for the Kings worst defensive liability at the trading deadline.

I want the Kings to win for the following reasons:

1) They play a pretty enjoyable brand of hockey: forecheck the opposition to death. It's better than the style of play of the Rangers and Devils, where they clog the neutral zone and block a ton of shots.

2) As a Caps fan, I despise everybody left in the Eastern conference, both because of history and because I just look at them and don't think they're that good. At least I can find solace that the Kings were the better team.

3) It'll pain Philly fans to no end to see Mike Richards and Jeff Carter succeed... oops.

Scarlet Knight
2012-05-24, 05:30 AM
Rooting for the Rangers is like rooting for Wallstreet...they're evil I tell you....EVIIIIL!

Scarlet Knight
2012-06-10, 06:19 AM
"We're goin' back to Cali...."

Scarlet Knight
2012-06-11, 09:52 PM
Honestly if the Kings win I will throw the BIGGEST party ever.

Congratulations to the Kings. You'll forgive me if I do not attend your party...

CoffeeIncluded
2012-06-11, 10:27 PM
So Gwyn, how about that party?

polity4life
2012-06-12, 06:58 AM
...well, at least the Devils didn't win.

Now all I have to look forward to is to see how Colorado will spend Detroit's first round pick and see if Detroit can somehow grab two top four defenders and a true scoring winger in free agency.

I think I smell an extension for Holmstrom...ugh.

An Enemy Spy
2012-06-16, 04:04 PM
LA vs East Coast. *sigh*. Well, at least a western team won, even if it was from the botox capital of the world.
No offense to anyone from LA.