PDA

View Full Version : Some Balance Qs for Pathfinder Psionics

AzazelSephiroth
2012-04-09, 12:47 AM
Good Day... or Night to everyone,

I am going to be starting up a new campaign in a few months (yes this is early) and I one of my players wants to play a wilder from the Psionoic`s Unleashed Pathfinder supplemtent.
Now I am not blind to the fact that Pathfinder does not fix all/maybe any pf 3.5`s balance issues, and I also do not think that Pathfinder "core only" is more pure. But I have been looking at the Psionics update, and it always seemed to me that the Wilder was the Sorc to the Psion`s Wizard. However on the Pathfinder srd, it seems as if the Wilder is significantly "buffer" than the other "caster" classes. (for this situation only the Wizard, Sorc and Psion are considered). It has 3/4 BAB, thus d8 HD, 4+int skills, light armor prof, simple weapon prof, oh and sheild prof....
Over all this seems more like the Cleric in structure but with power points and a limited power selection. Now I will admit I am no newcomer to DMing but I am one when it comes to Psionics- so has anyone out there played with Pathfinder Psionics? And what is your opinion on the Wilder specifically?
It seems like this char can run around in armor (albiet light) with a sheild, decent hit points and skills and then throw around powerful Psionic abilities with no worry about failure... is this right? is this wrong? is this even an issue:smallsmile: Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thank You!

Reluctance
2012-04-09, 01:06 AM
D6 is the default low HP for PF, so you have a class with HP, BAB, and skill points all one step up.

In return, they learn all of eleven powers over the course of their life. You're basically running around with one power per level. Versatility is important.

AzazelSephiroth
2012-04-09, 01:11 AM
Thank you for the quick reply... I was also re-reading and feel the same. 11 powers over their life (excluding extras from feats), seems highly limiting.

NamelessNPC
2012-04-09, 02:37 AM
11 powers are too few, even 15 with the student surge are to few. You can be a blaster, or you can put that medium BAB to good use being a gish, but in either case you won't have to many different options. I don't think it is overpowered at all.

Acanous
2012-04-09, 02:49 AM
Or he'll do Area-of-effect batlefield control and put the skill ranks to use in fun ways, becoming similar to an alchemist/rogue hybrid.

AzazelSephiroth
2012-04-10, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the replys! I agree I think it will work out just fine. You have all been very helpful. :smallsmile: