PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic Feats

WeAreUnity
2012-04-10, 02:37 AM
I don't know if anything like these has already been done, so please inform me if they have.

METAMAGIC MASTERY

Apply this feat to any other metamagic feat. Taking this feat lowers the spell slot increase by 1, to a minimum of +1. This feat can only be applied to EACH metamagic feat twice, for a maximum of a -2 reduction.

INNATE SPELL

Apply this feat to any non-cantrip spell. On a successfull concentration check (+10), the caster doesn't use up a spell slot upon casting. The chosen spell is cast at +3 spell slot.

The Mentalist
2012-04-10, 03:57 AM
METAMAGIC MASTERY

Apply this feat to any other metamagic feat. Taking this feat lowers the spell slot increase by 1, to a minimum of +1. This feat can only be applied to EACH metamagic feat twice, for a maximum of a -2 reduction.

Easy/Practical Metamagic or Arcane Thesis for all metas on 1 spell. Depends on your cheese tolerance.

INNATE SPELL

Apply this feat to any non-cantrip spell. On a successfull concentration check (+10), the caster doesn't use up a spell slot upon casting. The chosen spell is cast at +3 spell slot.

What is this concentration check? Also I would call this absurdly broken considering how easy it is to pump a skill check and it basically gets you infinite spells. Also, does Innate spell have a Metamagic tag? If so can the previous feat be applied to it? Even at -3 spell levels having infinite spell slots is amazingly powerful.

WeAreUnity
2012-04-10, 01:26 PM
Easy/Practical Metamagic or Arcane Thesis for all metas on 1 spell. Depends on your cheese tolerance..

thanks, wasn't aware those existed.

What is this concentration check? Also I would call this absurdly broken considering how easy it is to pump a skill check and it basically gets you infinite spells. Also, does Innate spell have a Metamagic tag? If so can the previous feat be applied to it? Even at -3 spell levels having infinite spell slots is amazingly powerful.

INNATE SPELL (metamagic feat)

Apply this feat to any spell level 6 or lower. On a successfull concentration check (spell levelx3 +15{no item/spell effects apply}), the caster doesn't use up a spell slot upon casting. On a failed check, the spell slot is used up, and the spell fails as in a normal concentration check. The chosen spell is cast at +3 spell slot. CANNOT be combined with any other metamagic feat.

Hope that clears some things up. Using only the casters innate concentration falls inline with the spirit of the feat. IE the spell (and therefore the concentration check) come from the characters innate power, not from any items or spells.

The Mentalist
2012-04-10, 01:40 PM
Apply this feat to any spell level 6 or lower.

It is highly unusual for metamagic to have such a restriction.

On a successful concentration check (spell levelx3 +15{no item/spell effects apply}), the caster doesn't use up a spell slot upon casting.

Alright, so you're only garunteed infinite 1s and 2s at higher levels. No issues here at all barring cheese but we can't always account for that.

On a failed check, the spell slot is used up, and the spell fails as in a normal concentration check.

Ouch. Either no slot or spell fail.

CANNOT be combined with any other metamagic feat.

I was more worried about Metamagic reducers, like the ones directly above this feat.

WeAreUnity
2012-04-10, 01:49 PM
The level restriction is only to prevent people from using epic spell slots to spam lvl 9 spells. Just imagine a mage hunter spamming disjunction.

Should i reword it so you can't use epic slots, or just leave it as it is.

The Mentalist
2012-04-10, 02:03 PM
The level restriction is only to prevent people from using epic spell slots to spam lvl 9 spells. Just imagine a mage hunter spamming disjunction.

By the time you're throwing around level 12 spell slots and can make that concentration check with any regularity you have bigger things to worry about. (namely: Epic spell casting, NI gate cheese, Shapechange even. Disjunction is really a mutually assured destruction [i.e. screw loot or anything else fun] spell and has an XP cost as I recall.) I'd uncap it but mention that Metamagic reducers do not work with it. Start decking out your bad-guys with artifacts occasionally (and it's justified at the levels we're talking about and Disjunction stops being so much of an issue.

WeAreUnity
2012-04-10, 02:29 PM
I mostly came up with this for magic missle spam, so i wasn't thinking end game much. Just had a cool image of a mid-level sorc standing on a battlement throwing Missle Storm at hordes of incoming goblins/orcs.

The Mentalist
2012-04-10, 02:45 PM
Something like Force Needle (Reserve Feat: Complete Arcane) would serve that purpose already. Perhaps written so as to be able to be split into individual d4s of damage instead of all as one clump or a 1 level dip in Warlock lets you launch 1d6 all day, every day (perhaps a feat to give you something like a 1d6 Eldritch blast?)

Or feats to boost volley spells like Lesser Orbs and Magic Missile (perhaps with some homebrew spells to make it less of a small selection)

JackMage666
2012-04-11, 02:13 AM
I mostly came up with this for magic missle spam, so i wasn't thinking end game much. Just had a cool image of a mid-level sorc standing on a battlement throwing Missle Storm at hordes of incoming goblins/orcs.

Sounds like a true WotC writer :P

The problem with Innate Spell is you're thinking of it as used with Magic Missile. Magic Missile isn't exactly the most powerful of spells. And the concentration check is laughable - Remember, you don't autofail skill checks, so once you get your Concentrate high enough, you auto succeed on this and never use any spell you prepare with innate spell ever again.

8 Ranks in Concentrate, a +10 Concentrate item, decent Con, +3 Skill Focus - That's +24 right there without much work.

Caster Level would be better if you're going to do a metamagic feat like this, and even that is questionable (but much more difficult to boost than Concentrate.)

Also, I'm relatively certain Innate Spell is a already a feat from Complete Arcane, so you may want to change the name.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-04-11, 11:12 AM
Just my $00.02: Have the Concentrate Check be [Spell Level x 10]. It's a pretty quick way to calculate, and getting to spam infinite 9th level spells should be all but impossible except for super-optimized skill levels. And you'd get Magic Missile Spam, so win-win.

EdroGrimshell
2012-04-12, 04:24 PM
Just my $00.02: Have the Concentrate Check be [Spell Level x 10]. It's a pretty quick way to calculate, and getting to spam infinite 9th level spells should be all but impossible except for super-optimized skill levels. And you'd get Magic Missile Spam, so win-win.

Force Missile Mage would love this